User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kevin Smith's View Askewniverse

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only real complaint against Clerks 2 is the ABC dance scene. I actually enjoy it up to a point, like when everyone in the restaurant and Jay/Silent Bob are vibing and dancing to it it's cool but when it gets to the part when Jay/SB look into the camera with pig tails and start miming the words and then the whole dance troupe comes out, it's too much. I didn't like breaking the 4th wall like that. That plus Silent Bob just has a silly grin on his face way too much. I liked him better was he was brooding and mysterious. Overall though, it's a good flick.

The Clerks 3 plot described above sounds fine. Randall having a mid life crisis is obvious and probably what we are expecting from Clerks 3, and the idea to have him want to make a movie is reasonable since he was all about movies in Clerks 1. Him directing an indie like the real Clerks film could certainly work well with a good script by Smith.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    My only real complaint against Clerks 2 is the ABC dance scene. I actually enjoy it up to a point, like when everyone in the restaurant and Jay/Silent Bob are vibing and dancing to it it's cool but when it gets to the part when Jay/SB look into the camera with pig tails and start miming the words and then the whole dance troupe comes out, it's too much. I didn't like breaking the 4th wall like that. That plus Silent Bob just has a silly grin on his face way too much. I liked him better was he was brooding and mysterious. Overall though, it's a good flick.

The Clerks 3 plot described above sounds fine. Randall having a mid life crisis is obvious and probably what we are expecting from Clerks 3, and the idea to have him want to make a movie is reasonable since he was all about movies in Clerks 1. Him directing an indie like the real Clerks film could certainly work well with a good script by Smith.
    Clerks 2 was too clean. Clerks 1 was the shit because of how low budget it was. It's like watching Evil Dead and then jumping to Army of Darkness. Smith's movies, they're like steak, I like it cooked a certain way and when it's different I'm struggling lol

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    It'll be cool, I hope. I wish my daughter didn't watch the resurrected 90210 show because part of me is thinking about how this is a similar premise but instead of the fictional 90210 characters doing a movie, it's a fictional version of the real life actors putting together the reboot of 90210. And the 10 minutes I saw of it, made me want to hang myself from a tall building by the balls lol.

With all of that said.....Clerks 3 should hopefully be better than the clusterfuck of Clerks 2.
    Clerks 2 was so good.

But yes I'd bet that it will be more slapsticky and silly and cartoony.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I saw Reboot the other night. I wasn't expecting much as I'm not the biggest fan of the first one and Smith's best work comes when he has something to say. Not when he's just making a movie to make a movie.

I liked it. A lot.

It's better than the first one. Sure to some degree it was a cram everyone you can get into one film type thing just like the first and the ending was wonkey but this film had something the first one didnt and thats heart. The central theme is actually about how having kids changes your life. Also it looks like Kevin has a fantastic little actor for a daughter as she stole every scene she was in. Her big expressive eyes and abiliity to just nail the fuck out of every punchline made this a Harley Quinn movie to put on her resume. And what do you know? Even Mewes held his own when it came time to really act.

Thumbs up. Suprisingly good.

My Askewniverse list now goes

1. Chasing Amy
    2. Clerks 2
    3. Dogma
    4. Clerks
    5. Mallrats
    6. Reboot
    7. Strike Back

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Well I saw Reboot the other night. I wasn't expecting much as I'm not the biggest fan of the first one and Smith's best work comes when he has something to say. Not when he's just making a movie to make a movie.

I liked it. A lot.

It's better than the first one. Sure to some degree it was a cram everyone you can get into one film type thing just like the first and the ending was wonkey but this film had something the first one didnt and thats heart. The central theme is actually about how having kids changes your life. Also it looks like Kevin has a fantastic little actor for a daughter as she stole every scene she was in. Her big expressive eyes and abiliity to just nail the fuck out of every punchline made this a Harley Quinn movie to put on her resume. And what do you know? Even Mewes held his own when it came time to really act.

Thumbs up. Suprisingly good.

My Askewniverse list now goes

1. Chasing Amy
    2. Clerks 2
    3. Dogma
    4. Clerks
    5. Mallrats
    6. Reboot
    7. Strike Back
    Here's what I put in the review thread yesterday about this movie:

Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post

I also rented Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. I can't believe I'm going to say this...but it sucked. The cameos are all that saved it. Saying it sucked might be harsh but on a scale of 1-10 I'd say it's maybe a 4. I love these movies, but it felt like when a movie has done maybe 1 too many sequels. Did we realllllly need this? No. Should have saved them for Clerks 3.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (FYI it's now on Amazon Prime). It wasn't great but it had redeeming qualities. I'll talk first about what I liked.

-The Ben Affleck cameo / Chasing Amy refresh was one of the best parts for sure. It was a good homage to that movie and it also played a critical role in Reboot with Affleck serving the "Silent Bob" role of dropping a little wisdom to get the lead character to have a realization.
    -I liked how Kevin Smith was a character in the movie. That played well for me within the plot and allowed for some enjoyable roasting of his own career and persona.
    -As RP said above, it had heart and the father/daughter thing between Jay and Harley Quinn Smith was pretty good overall. I agree that she is a solid actress and have no complaints about nepotism in this case.

Overall though, it's just not funny enough in my opinion. The overall story writing is fine, I'm pretty satisfied with how it all came together at Kronic Con and the Jay/Harley arc. It's the writing of jokes and bits that fall short of the mark. There were some bits that fell flat in Strikes Back but the hit rate was so much better and the comedic high marks were so much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    It's better than the first one.
    Oof. See I love the first one, it's legitimately one of my favorite comedies of all time (not top 5 mind you but top 25). It's laugh out loud funny with so many highly memorable comedy scenes/moments, such as the opening rap by Jay, Goodwill Hunting 2, Ben Affleck explaining the internet (Phantoms like a motherfucker), the Biggs/Van Der Beek/pie fucker scene.... there are about 10 clips from it I will watch on youtube just to give myself a laugh even when I've seen it 40 times already. That's why it's a classic comedy to me.

Reboot may grow on my if I ever give it a 2nd watch but for now I would rate these like:

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back 9/10
    Jay and Silent Bob Reboot 5/10

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    The best joke of the new movie was at the very end.

"you see that guy? For 25 years, we've been coming here every morning and putting gum in the locks."

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Clerks 3 photo. Crazy this is being made. Dante looks old.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Rosario hasn't aged a day

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post

Clerks 3 photo. Crazy this is being made. Dante looks old.
    good. It tells a good story that they’re all getting older

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'll be curious to see what Smith comes up with. Randall is one of my favorite characters from Smith's films so I hope this is good.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elias looks old, not surprising since he was a young guy in Clerks 2 and it's been some 15 years since then. I'm most curious to find out what he'll be like now. He was such a naive virgin-type in the original, being dropped off by his mom and whatnot. Now he'll be a man. I wonder what he's like now.

I didn't love Jay and Silent Bob Reboot so I hope this is better. These characters are a lot stronger than J&SB as leads so I expect it to be better.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah Reboot was OK but nothing crazy good.

I'm curious about Elias too. Sitting under Randall's learning tree for over a decade has to take its toll somehow. I feel like this will be a good effort by Smith and company because it's pretty much the end for those characters I'd have to say.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I don't know. Smith is the type of person to revisit when everyone is in their 70s.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I went to Clerks III and really enjoyed it. It was way better than Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. Loved seeing all the old characters from the original.