Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Justice League Films

Official Trailer 1 (March 2017):

Comic-Con Trailer (July 2016):

Release date: November 17, 2017 (USA)
    Director: Zack Snyder
    Screenplay: Chris Terrio

The new trailer was just released. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Fro; March 27th, 2017 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like there's quite a lot of flashbacks - even stuff like Flash's Dad being in jail, which you'd expect to be fleshed out in his solo movie (if it ever happens). It'll be interesting to see how all of this affects the pacing, as there's a lot of ground to cover - unlike Avengers where everyone (heroes and Loki) was established.

I'm liking Aquaman, which I didn't expect. It just looks like Jason Momoa is having a great time and they're just making him a goofy badass to off-set how ridiculous he is. The line about being rich and the little nod to Aquaman riding alongisde are hopefully signs that they've decided not to make Batman a depressed lunatic this time around.

I'm guessing the desolate landscape they're fighting on isn't Earth, which would mean they're delving into intergalactic warfare before we even get to Part 2. Again, a lot of ground covered considering it's also a movie where Batman brings everyone together for the first time. It's a shame that so much of the action is seemingly set at night or in drab rooms and dark tunnels.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks alright but I've been let down by the three previous DCEU films think I'll wait for the reviews on this one. Watched BvS a few months ago and glad I didn't pay to see it in theaters. These all look the same the color palette is so boring to see these heroes through, like just aesthetically I'm tired of this universe - and this movie looks like it's shaping up to be BvS all over again. No hint of plot, other than a blinky box and glimpses of parademons.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty meh trailer to me. Don't have high hopes for this movie. They've got a near impossible task trying to introduce these characters, bring them together, develop a villain, and blow it off in the span of 2.5 hours. The Avengers managed to do that but it had established and fleshed out the characters in their own movies.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All about that Aquaman. Dude is really the only thing selling me on this flick. Love everything I've seen of him thus far, seems like he's going to be the highlight. Badass mofo. Course everything else could be ass, so I might just wait for his solo film down the road.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Can't stand the jukebox rock soundtrack. Gives the film a really flimsy feel.

And I agree with every other concern posted so far. This thing just isn't very confidence inspiring.

But, Aquaman and Flash look like they could be legit brightspots. So there's that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what you guys are seeing, but Aquaman looks TERRIBLE from the new trailer. The "I dig it" and "YEAH!" lines are so bad. Cyborg looks waaay to skinny too.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as one of the fourteen people in the world that actually loves BVS, even i'm just kinda bleh on the trailer. i get that it's snyder's thing, but holy shit are people just doing slo-mo shit a lot. that's one of the things i liked about BVS, that the fight scenes were actually pretty quick paced. it just looks tired. bunch of bullet hell shit, a lot of cutting down of useless minions in some downtrodden, busted out locale. every scene takes place on an overcast day. i'm not a critic of the DC films being 'serious' or 'dark,' but fuck i want this shit to do well. they released that sizzle real from last summer felt like it was the people involved trying hard to go 'hey, we heard you' to the majority of the thumbs down crowd. this trailer feels like it erased most of whatever good will they gained back.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailers are pretty irrelevant with DC films these days.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much prefering the DCTV universe but i'll watch anything with batman in it so i'll see this.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    but i'll watch anything with batman in it so i'll see this.
    Pretty much how I roll.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this looks like more Zack Snyder trash. The slow-mo action sequences with fiery backgrounds were cool when 300 came out but they're pretty played out by now. I need this to have soul and the trailer doesn't have much. The attempts at humor seem pretty lame. I don't want to shit on this before it even comes out but given how bad BvS was and how similar this looks, it's hard to have high expectations here.

I'm curious how they bring Superman back but otherwise my interest in this is pretty much nil. Also I need a good villain in a movie like this and the trailer doesn't really show who that would be. However the wikipedia for the movie reveals it is
    . I don't think that's a spoiler but just being safe.

And then when I wiki that villain, the summary is (nothing to do with this movie just his biography from comic books):

Granted I'm not a comic book reader and you guys might be like "well actually he's a great character," but this seems too deep. Sounds like a scientology backstory. I guess I just don't like it when Earth super heroes end up in some intergalactic battle with aliens. It's too big. Give me earth-based villains. Or give me Gaurdians of the Galaxy which is a movie that takes place in an interstellar setting. But when you get these earth super heroes battling it out with aliens for the fate of the planet, idk, I lose interest.
    Last edited by Fro; March 27th, 2017 at 4:46 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Decent trailer, but as Mik said, trailers for DC movies are irrelevant at this point.

J.K. Simmons looks like a great Gordon, so there's that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snyder seems allergic to day-time scenes now that he's playing in Batman's world. The gothic aesthetic throughout BvS was overwhelming and to see everyone punching baddies in the dark in this trailer is disappointing. I just hope they remember Superman's personality this time - he was a mopey prat in the last film and I have no interest in seeing that character revived.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wouldn't call BvS's aesthetic gothic. It was just dreary and drab.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the DC films have done anything, it's garnered Marvel a whole lot more credit for making their comic book world seem somewhat - real. I look at the Justice League trailer and all I see are a bunch of CG images flying everywhere. Everything look so lifeless and fake. It's all on a sound stage.

Flash's costume isn't sitting well w/ me. Do all these heroes have to wear armor? All the metal looks taped onto him and it's so unnecessary. And why is his power color blue? It's always been yellow. That's why the fucking lightning symbols is fucking yellow.

Any Cyborg's gotta be there I guess. His CG looks completely off, like his head is photoshopped on. Yuck.

Gal's acting is Eva Marie wooden.

Everything's dark... wet... overcast... lightning... shitty. This world looks like a fucking hell hole.
    Last edited by VHS; March 27th, 2017 at 5:57 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The Marvel movies don't seem real. That's silly. They're big budget CGI fests. People love to shoot arching ropes jism over the Marvel films, but a fair amount of them are forgettable.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only recent Marvel film that I'd consider forgettable was Age of Ultron. It wasn't bad though. Doc Strange was fine... Ant Man was fun... so was Guardians. They seem more real than this schlock.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    The Marvel movies don't seem real. That's silly. They're big budget CGI fests. People love to shoot arching ropes jism over the Marvel films, but a fair amount of them are forgettable.
    I get what he means though. Marvel movies look like they take place in the real world whereas DC movies like this one appear to take place in some dark dystopian hellscape (a la 300).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The Thor movies were forgettable. Iron Man 2 was forgettable. Age of Ultron was forgettable. I haven't seen Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, or Doctor Strange.

I'm not sure what you mean by "real", but I wouldn't classify the Marvel movies as realistic. That's not even a knock on them.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Snyder it seems even if a scene takes place in a well lit public area (which is rare) he'll have a car explode and then zoom in on Batman standing in front of the flaming wreckage to make it all so dramatic and surreal looking when he delivers his next lines.

Agreed on those movies you listed being forgettable.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this has been discussed briefly already in the Comic Book News & Rumors thread but I figure this is a better place to park the conversation...

Glad to see Wonder Woman is getting good reviews and that it did $100.5 million in North America plus $122.5 million internationally in its first weekend. Score this a major and must-needed win for the DCEU as we head towards the Justice League film. Wonder Woman still looks like a very run-of-the-mill super hero movie to me, not something I'd go to the theater for but I'll definitely check it out when it hits the small screen. Been hearing some comparisons to the first Captain America film given the historical timeline and all that. Gadot seems like a proper charming bad-ass.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it had parallels with the Thor movie except rather than being an oblivious muscley man it was an idealist if naive woman.

Gadot was actually brilliant in it. A lot of the supporting cast were not. Didn't massively enjoy it but Gadot was genuinely great just think the story was poor

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Sounds like the DC films are bailing on the grim and gritty vibe going forward. Wonder Woman saved the day, I guess.

‘Wonder Woman’ and the 5 Words That Saved DC Movies From Darkness (Exclusive)

Look, grim and gritty makes sense for Batman, but painting all of the DC superheroes with that brush was a bad idea.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    I thought it had parallels with the Thor movie except rather than being an oblivious muscley man it was an idealist if naive woman.

Gadot was actually brilliant in it. A lot of the supporting cast were not. Didn't massively enjoy it but Gadot was genuinely great just think the story was poor
    I thought Pine was bloody brilliant.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Danny Elfman to score the movie. Great news.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Sounds like the DC films are bailing on the grim and gritty vibe going forward. Wonder Woman saved the day, I guess.

‘Wonder Woman’ and the 5 Words That Saved DC Movies From Darkness (Exclusive)

Look, grim and gritty makes sense for Batman, but painting all of the DC superheroes with that brush was a bad idea.
    Every time Geoff Johns talks, it makes me happy...
    Like when he said Superman is the most relatable character in the world, because he's just a farmboy moving to the big city and trying to do the right thing. He gets these characters and what makes them work so much...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    Every time Geoff Johns talks, it makes me happy...
    Like when he said Superman is the most relatable character in the world, because he's just a farmboy moving to the big city and trying to do the right thing. He gets these characters and what makes them work so much...
    I really want to see this in the next Superman movie...

That's Superman to me.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; June 14th, 2017 at 8:07 PM.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Every time I see that page, I want to cry.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I like this one...

(spoilered for size)
    Last edited by Bill Casey; June 14th, 2017 at 9:36 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really enjoyed Wonder Woman. It was really interesting to see a movie take place during World War I, that's almost exceedingly rare. And it fit well with the movie's anti-war themes, harder to do that with World War II having a much more forthrightly moral imperative behind it.

My expectations for Justice League are still pretty low. I think it's just too much that they're going to have to pack into that movie to be good.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't need to shove a ton of shit into a JL movie. Avengers movies are the shit, X-Men are good for the most part. I think as long as they have a quality villain and it's not just about Superman and Batman, it'll be slick. You have to remember, there will be MORE JL movies.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A new 4 minute trailer debuted at Comic-Con - it shows more of the villain, a bit more Wonder Woman as expected after that film's success and does absolutely nothing to generate the tiniest drop of interest in Cyborg. I'm not sold on the Flash - feels like he could be a marmite character, but then again they're clearly cherry-picking moments to emphasise the lighter tone and he could come across better in the context of the whole film. Also, while we're all expecting Superman to appear, I'm guessing that they also throw in Green Lantern.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots to say about this, most of it leaning towards disappointment. For characters as iconic as these such as Batman, Aquman, Wonder Woman, and Flash... (hell w/ Cyborg. Nobody cares about Cyborg)... everything feels so garnering for the mediocre. Flash in particular is such a generic "out of his element" character, just reacting to things. All he has to do it say "Oh! Umm... this is awkward. Oh! Oh! Umm... that's so cool! Umm... I guess this is weird. Oh! Umm... gotta go!" And Batman is just not very Batman-like, being the Nick Fury of the JL. Sure, he looks cool posing on rooftops and leaping around doing stuff where his cape flaps in the wind, but that's it.

And is it just me, or does the CG look very crap? Cyborg looks hor-ren-dous. And he shot of Aquaman riding the baddy through the roof and out the door

Things I did like are the implications of the Lanterns and a quick (maybe) shot of Super Girl in the hologram Bruce was looking at. And while Jason's version of Aquaman isn't like Aquaman at all, I still think he'll be the best part about the movie.

The line "Superman was a beacon to the world. He didn't just save people. He made them see the best parts of themselves." How about, no, he didn't save anyone? He was a mopey pussy that couldn't save anybody unless they were Lios Lane. He didn't make people see the best in themselves... he split the world down the middle. People were either afraid of him, or they though he was a God. It's like they're describing the Christopher Reeve version of Superman, not Cavill's.

Back to Flash, I don't think this guy fits the character at all. And I really hate the suit. It looks too much like armor. And why they made his power color blue and not yellow is weird.

Bottom line... big bag of meh. The whole thing looks like it was shot entirely on a sound stage and the overall lineup is underwhelming.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    The CGI is shit because it wont be completed.

Also you are making a lot of assumptions again from a trailer, again...

I highly doubt this will be amazing but Im sure it will be entertaining at the very least.

Also Batman and Superman are iconic. Wonder Woman just edges in. The rest are not at all.
    TAPS AFF!

You didn't see me, right? HHHnFoley_Rulez's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the flash is more prominent/popular now... But that's cos or the TV show. And they've recast the guy... And redesigned everything about him... Completely separate from the TV show... So...

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aquaman remains the only thing that interests me about this movie. That'll probably change once I see Wonder Woman. Not sure if two characters will be enough to get me to see it, though, unless it gets decent reviews.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    I can say with certainty that it wont get good reviews.

Also Green Lantern is clearly going to be in this.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    It seems more fun, but some of it feels Xbox 360 graphics. All of them fighting together should be fun. Other than that we will see. Wonder Woman and Aquaman will probably save the film.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For DC in general, I really wish this current run had started with Wonder Woman then followed up with another character who hadn't had a movie (Flash, maybe) and then built towards the big boys (Batman and Superman) being brought in by establishing the other characters.Much like Spiderman, there was no need for an origin story with either Bats or Supes and I feel the DCEU as a whole would be better off having them bat cleanup rather than leading off.

As for the movie, I'm not going to judge anything off a trailer. DC has been a very mixed bag for me with a lot of stuff that I like a lot (Affleck, Harley, Wonder Woman) but there has been no middle ground. I either like/love it or hate it and that has led the movies to be mostly uneven for me.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dialogue about Superman in the trailer is in no way earned - when he rescued people in BvS, it felt like a massive inconvenience for him. His character was pitched horribly, because they needed to create some ambivalence for Batman to see him as a threat. DC are establishing this universe with their hands tied behind their back. They went straight to a variation on The Dark Knight Returns and the Death of Superman, leaving them the task of resurrecting Superman for their first big crossover film and the need to introduce all these other characters through an older Batman (who they may need to replace even sooner than they hoped).

The idea of the first Flash film being Flashpoint seems insane to me - that concept is something you do when all these characters are long established. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there's a Crisis on Infinite Earths film in the pipeline - it seems like the strategy is to pick the biggest stories to garner interest and then work backwards from the title to see if they can carve out a coherent plot.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    A new 4 minute trailer debuted at Comic-Con - it shows more of the villain, a bit more Wonder Woman as expected after that film's success and does absolutely nothing to generate the tiniest drop of interest in Cyborg. I'm not sold on the Flash - feels like he could be a marmite character, but then again they're clearly cherry-picking moments to emphasise the lighter tone and he could come across better in the context of the whole film. Also, while we're all expecting Superman to appear, I'm guessing that they also throw in Green Lantern.

Looks bad. Very bad.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Looks bad. Very bad.
    Care to elaborate?

I think it looks pretty cool, this non-comic book geek is definitely in.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I really hope that Joss Whedon can salvage something out of this.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to it. I think it'll be better than BvS, which isn't saying much. Any movie that features lots of Wonder Woman can't be all that bad.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    The idea of Flashpoint being the first Flash movie feels like they are going to do a giant reboot in a movie where it should be fun and light hearted.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder Woman saved DC. Can she save this movie? I agree with Fro, this trailer does nothing for me.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Care to elaborate?

I think it looks pretty cool, this non-comic book geek is definitely in.
    The dialogue all sounds like the most basic, unoriginal cliches. "What did you do this weekend? Nothing very interesting." "They said the age of heroes would never come again... It has to." "We don't have to recognize this world, we just have to save it." Not to mention "World Without Hope" being the newspaper headline. I know it's a super hero movie so there's to be some cheesy lines but the writing on this seems so uninspired and just bad. The humor comes off as flat. None of the good guys seem like compelling characters (Aquaman maybe a little). Action sequences look like the same hollow Snyder visuals we get in every movie. And the villain... I forget who the villain is but this trailer makes it seem like "generic supernatural/alien villain who will destroy the world version 2319". Not compelling at all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Looks bad. Very bad.
    But somehow you liked Suicide Squad.

Anyway, this looks a little hokey, but hopefully it will benefit from the low expectations.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saying I liked Suicide Squad is generous, it just benefitted from low expectations (as you said). Probably a 5 out of 10 for me. And Guardians of the Galaxy was a 6 or 6.5, maybe. So the point I was making in that other thread was that it's funny how one got so overly praised and the other was panned.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First reactions to Justice League aren't just positive, they're great. People are calling it epic. I can't wait. I have low expectations, but I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised. Like I said before, any movie with a lot of Wonder Woman will be good.

http://screenrant.com/justice-league-movie-reactions/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Batman-News is reporting that Lex Luthor's scenes in the film are not in the final cut. Given how annoying I found him in BvS, my interest has definitely jumped up a notch if that's the case.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Part of me is impressed they managed to fuck up Lex Luthor and The Joker so much they had to cut them out of movies in editing...
    They had intellectual property access to two of the greatest villains of all time...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; September 22nd, 2017 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind. I wasn't a fan of Leto as The Joker. He didn't suck, but he's at the fucking bottom compared to the 3 that were before him. TBH, it was more about his look that I couldn't stand.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wording is very precise in that article. Some of the early reactions are positive, and it's not like there were some positive reactions before BvS was released. Also, it's going to take a whole lot more than a tweet by Batman-News.com saying they only spoke to 3 people that said they liked it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't give a fuck what you (in general) or critics or whoever says about these movies. I think out of the 900 super hero movies they've dropped there were maybe 5 that I just thought were dogshit. The Eric Bana Hulk movie, the last Fantastic Four, Green Lantern, Elektra, and Daredevil....And I'll say this, I can still watch Daredevil because Bullseye is the real star but I love the comic so much that my expectations were just too high.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Recasting Joker was always going to be a dicey situation after Ledger. We almost need Leto Joker to get to perhaps a better more back to comics Joker or at least one that doesn't feel like a dated mid 2000 MTV version of Joker. Not having a good Lex Luthor is head shaking though. Lex has evolved so much from Hackman that going back to some really bizarre version of Hackman/Jim Carrey Riddler was fucking stupid. I honestly WB just lucked into everything to do with Wonder Woman and that good feeling about that movie is going to get them to Justice League. After League, it wouldn't shock me to see them to reboot it all again.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Recasting Joker was always going to be a dicey situation after Ledger. We almost need Leto Joker to get to perhaps a better more back to comics Joker or at least one that doesn't feel like a dated mid 2000 MTV version of Joker. Not having a good Lex Luthor is head shaking though. Lex has evolved so much from Hackman that going back to some really bizarre version of Hackman/Jim Carrey Riddler was fucking stupid. I honestly WB just lucked into everything to do with Wonder Woman and that good feeling about that movie is going to get them to Justice League. After League, it wouldn't shock me to see them to reboot it all again.
    And I was pretty open about Leto because of Ledger. I thought Ledger was going to fucking suck based on the fact that the 3-4 movies I saw him in were lame and he had to follow arguably one of the greatest actors of the last 50 years in Jack Nicholson.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    The wording is very precise in that article. Some of the early reactions are positive, and it's not like there were some positive reactions before BvS was released. Also, it's going to take a whole lot more than a tweet by Batman-News.com saying they only spoke to 3 people that said they liked it.
    I thought most of the reactions to BvS were terrible, no? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    And I was pretty open about Leto because of Ledger. I thought Ledger was going to fucking suck based on the fact that the 3-4 movies I saw him in were lame and he had to follow arguably one of the greatest actors of the last 50 years in Jack Nicholson.
    This was pretty much my logic too. I figured it would be awful, and I could not have been more wrong.

This was also my logic about Ben Affleck playing Batman, and I could not have been more right. Hate him in the suit, but I think he's a decent Bruce Wayne.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never cared about the person behind the suit as much as I've cared about Bruce Wayne. It's just a suit that a stunt guy does 99% of the work. I've yet to find a single actor who failed as Bruce Wayne. Going back to the 1940's serial (which I also own it's so fucked up how racist shit used to be back in the day). I had more of an issue with them thinking the suits needed nipples back in the 90's lol.

I mean really, all you see of the person in the suit is their eyes and mouth. The body type hasn't changed since the 60's when they ditched the traditional blue attire for what we're used to. But again, you could put Johnny Knoxville in the suit and as long as he pulls off Bruce Wayne, I have no issue. Plus, come to my house, my basement is stocked with Batman stuff. I even tried to get my girlfriend to figure out a way to incorporate "Bruce Wayne" or "Gotham" into her name lol. Obviously shot down and she was named after Zoey 101. Could have been worse...she wanted to name her after Melissa McCarthy's character from Gilmore Girls.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAle View Post
    I thought most of the reactions to BvS were terrible, no? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.
    it wasn't test screenings for an audience but screenings for executives, but there was a report/rumor that came out months before BVS released that executives had been shown a cut of the film and the reactions were that it was brilliant and got a standing ovation.

https://news.avclub.com/rumor-time-w...sup-1798282794

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2 things I didn't like about BvS were how quickly they went from Batman hating Supes to being his BFF because the heads at DC didn't pay attention 90 years ago that they both had the same name for the mom and that it took too long for them to start beating each others' ass. It probably doesn't help that before I saw this movie I had read a collection of Superman v. Batman stories that I ordered which also featured the battle they had in Hush and the big screen....Man it wasn't a letdown like Freddy v. Jason by any stretch but when you're 3-4 years old wondering what the battle would look like on the big screen and you get what we got.....A lesser Batman nerd would probably be cool with what they gave us but I wanted a little more. Probably wouldn't have cared if it didn't end with them turning bitch because their mom's were both named Martha.

My best friend is probably the 2nd biggest Superman fan I know, even has an autograph by Norwalk, IA Brandon Routh (who signed it as "Kal El") tatted on his leg....He puts the movie up there as one of the best Batman-Superman movies he's ever seen. I like those opinions more than my own haha. Such a great dude, glass half fulll to my glass half empty approach lol.

Damn, just realized Norwalk, IA has produced 2 super heroes in Aquaman and Superman.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    The 2 things I didn't like about BvS were how quickly they went from Batman hating Supes to being his BFF because the heads at DC didn't pay attention 90 years ago that they both had the same name for the mom and that it took too long for them to start beating each others' ass. It probably doesn't help that before I saw this movie I had read a collection of Superman v. Batman stories that I ordered which also featured the battle they had in Hush and the big screen....Man it wasn't a letdown like Freddy v. Jason by any stretch but when you're 3-4 years old wondering what the battle would look like on the big screen and you get what we got.....A lesser Batman nerd would probably be cool with what they gave us but I wanted a little more. Probably wouldn't have cared if it didn't end with them turning bitch because their mom's were both named Martha.
    god i'm so sick of this.

the whole film, and even verbalized during the fight by bruce, was that he didn't consider superman a human, an earthling, that he's parading around as a man and trying to fool the world when he's got no business calling himself one. in the moment where bats has supes down for the count and dead to rights, the fact that superman isn't begging for his life, but for what turns out to be his mother's life, humanizes him immediately due to bruce's own emotional issues regarding parents. they set it up well enough with the opening montage and bruce visiting his mom's burial chamber. i think catching that their mother's both have the same name, and using it to breakthrough bruce's anger and hatred, which he's now built up over 20 years of being batman, was a clever take. i think a take like that would fit well in a comic.

now, the immediate aftermath of that could have been handled way, way better, but snyder dragged the confrontation out for two hours, so every ounce of tension between them had to be scrapped cause it was time for the final act. i like bruce promising he won't let superman's mother die, and the brutality of the fight to save her, cause i liken that to him using this as more blatant way to cope and make peace with not being able to save his own mother all those years before. even the doomsday fight i can deal with, outside of the cutesy buddy cop comedy line about wonder woman's arrival, as it's just utter chaos and they're trying to survive and win. but the scene at the burial, where bruce is all I FAILED HIM LIFE is so utterly bizarre to me. there's a way to make that line work, but it involves bruce being way more outwardly regretful that he got so lost in his own anger and hatred that he wasted time that could've been used to help the world alongside superman. but again, i chalk that up to just how rapid fire that last part of the film is, which doesn't leave room for any fleshing out.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, when I listened to Snyder on the Empire podcast talk about the Martha thing, I could totally buy that as a way to make them relate to each other. It's just the execution of it that leaves a lot to be desired. That's why the stuff in the JL trailer about Superman being a symbol of hope doesn't ring true. They made him pretty ambiguous in BvS and there wasn't enough time spent on Bruce resolving his feelings towards him.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can be sick with whatever it is you have all you want but it still was lackluster to me for that to be the bonding moment. The way they did it on camera just wasn't fulfilling to me because as I said, I went in with too many expectations for their battle and felt that it wasn't their best option.

I mean, Batman knew the good Superman was capable of, it wasn't like he never saved anyone's life until he mentioned "Martha". You are spot on with your post let's make that clear, I agree with 99.9% of all of it especially the first paragraph but the .1% is the reality that they could have built that bridge a better way. And honestly that was such a tiny tiny dislike that it didn't really matter to me. I think it's an awesome movie, just a few tweeks here and there again due to me having a high expectation after 30 years of waiting for this to go down on the big screen.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yeah, when I listened to Snyder on the Empire podcast talk about the Martha thing, I could totally buy that as a way to make them relate to each other. It's just the execution of it that leaves a lot to be desired. That's why the stuff in the JL trailer about Superman being a symbol of hope doesn't ring true. They made him pretty ambiguous in BvS and there wasn't enough time spent on Bruce resolving his feelings towards him.
    Exactly. Like I just responded to Morrison, the execution of humanizing Superman so to speak could have been better.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My expectations for Justice League (the first one at least) are still low, but I finally saw Wonder Woman the other day and it was my favorite superhero movie in years. Maybe since Nolan finished up his trilogy. Felt like a wonderful breath of fresh air to me after the last few DC entries.

I'm more excited now, but think that the JL movies will get better as they go (assuming multiple) as DC remembers how to make fun movies.

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    My expectations for Justice League (the first one at least) are still low, but I finally saw Wonder Woman the other day and it was my favorite superhero movie in years. Maybe since Nolan finished up his trilogy. Felt like a wonderful breath of fresh air to me after the last few DC entries.

I'm more excited now, but think that the JL movies will get better as they go (assuming multiple) as DC remembers how to make fun movies.
    Whedon can certainly be hit and miss, but if nothing else, he should some more light-heartedness into this.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Joss will bring enough material for you to care about the characters which minus Wonder Woman and possibly Harley, they have epically failed at. The fact I did not care Superman died is just chilling to me. I mean its fucking Superman. If there is any character I should care about dying its the symbol of everything good about humanity. Instead, I was like oh Doomsday...oh fuck they are not going to...no...don't finally be interesting with Lois it only means...FUCK THEY KILLED HIM!!...Yea, Bruce you fucked up...

Anyway, the best Batman stories right now are on Gotham including the best Batman.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that the entire Doomsday arc was shoehorned into the last 20 minutes of a movie was more chilling to me than his death. That arc and doing Doomsday right is a Superman movie on it's own. Not something you force into the end of the first Batman/Superman crossover for the sake of SPLOSIONS!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" was garbage. Trash.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Batman slaughters people. Superman is a mopey cunt.

Fall on a knife.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that the entire Doomsday arc was shoehorned into the last 20 minutes of a movie was more chilling to me than his death. That arc and doing Doomsday right is a Superman movie on it's own. Not something you force into the end of the first Batman/Superman crossover for the sake of SPLOSIONS!
    Yeah, it would have been tremendous having them wait until maybe the 2nd or 4rd Justice League movie before bringing Doomsday into the picture. Having an entire movie about the Justice League not being able to stop Doomsday and then ending w/ an end all be all brawl with Superman would have been great. But ehh... now we're stuck with Lex Luthor talking about jelly beans.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't even have had Doomsday in a JL movie. Just a straight Superman movie where they kill each other at the end.

His origin doesn't need to be changed to Zombie Zod. Just do Doomsday. One on one, without the Justice League, is how that showdown works best for me. Maybe if it's mid-JL movie arc, have Doomsday maul some side members early to build him up as something other than an orc monster.

And you have to establish Superman as a hero before you kill him. Snyder had everyone hating him for Man of Steel's ending and then he dies. He has to be the hero that the people deserved, who was beloved and taken from them. Ugh. Fuck Snyder.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wouldn't even have had Doomsday in a JL movie. Just a straight Superman movie where they kill each other at the end.

His origin doesn't need to be changed to Zombie Zod. Just do Doomsday. One on one, without the Justice League, is how that showdown works best for me. Maybe if it's mid-JL movie arc, have Doomsday maul some side members early to build him up as something other than an orc monster.

And you have to establish Superman as a hero before you kill him. Snyder had everyone hating him for Man of Steel's ending and then he dies. He has to be the hero that the people deserved, who was beloved and taken from them. Ugh. Fuck Snyder.
    I think having Doomsday take down the entire Justice League leaving only Superman would help establish him in a big way...
    That's kind of how it went down in the comics...

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    I think having Doomsday take down the entire Justice League leaving only Superman would help establish him in a big way...
    That's kind of how it went down in the comics...
    Well, he took down C borderline D Team Justice League. No Batman, Flash or Wonder Woman, but you did have Martian Manhunter, Maxima and Guy Gardner go down and go down hard.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superman being the only one left between Doomsday and Metropolis would have been immense, just setting the tone of "You need to go through me first." But it just goes against what Snyder's version of Superman is, a mopey bitch w/ a short temper. This was always an image I wanted to see when I was a kid.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched Immortals a few nights ago. I thought that was better than Batman v. Superman but I also really liked Immortals. Mickey Rourke is great in that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New trailer is out.

Looks like the final battle is on a huge scale. How well it works will depend on how they establish all these characters. I'm hoping Aquaman will be good craic, but I'm still iffy about the Flash.

Say what you will about Man of Steel, but that piano cue from Hans Zimmer is instantly recognisable.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full reviews haven't been released yet but the excerpts of the reviews I've seen sound like it's not a disaster. Not amazing, but better than Suicide Squad and BvS. Box office should be decent, I think Wonder Woman gives it a big boost because she has a lot of fans who wouldn't typically show up to see a superhero movie.

That's probably enough to not have this series be scrapped. Now we wait and see whether Affleck is going to stick around. I've felt for awhile that he had made up his mind months ago that he was done and they were just waiting until after Justice League came out to make the announcement.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    Initial reviews of Justice League seem to be quite average.
    Based on the trailers, it's almost impossible to imagine this being above average.

But yea hearing the villain is particularly bad.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    Full reviews haven't been released yet but the excerpts of the reviews I've seen sound like it's not a disaster. Not amazing, but better than Suicide Squad and BvS. Box office should be decent, I think Wonder Woman gives it a big boost because she has a lot of fans who wouldn't typically show up to see a superhero movie.

That's probably enough to not have this series be scrapped. Now we wait and see whether Affleck is going to stick around. I've felt for awhile that he had made up his mind months ago that he was done and they were just waiting until after Justice League came out to make the announcement.
    Empire has a full review and gave it 2/5.

Guardian also gave it that score.

Its sounds exactly as everyone expected a big long bore.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    43% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to give the reins of the DC Cinematic universe to Patty Jenkins.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Geoff Johns is the man taking the wheel.

I think with the pretty average/bad reviews and Affleck seeming to lose his interest in being batman its 100% time to do flash point. Use the plot to reset the universe. Keep Gadot, Momoa and Cavil and recast and reboot.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to be a consensus that the CGI is shoddy and the digital removal of Cavill's moustache is distracting. But it's tracking to do well at the box office. Unless it drops off massively, I don't think there's any risk to the other movies being halted in the way Universal has quietly put its "Dark Universe" on the shelf.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There's a rumor that Matt Reeves wants Jake Gyllenhaal to play Batman in the upcoming solo film. I like that choice.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They digitally removed a moustache? LMAO why

OUT on Jake gyllenhaal as Batman. I mean...maybe. idk I have to think on it but my first impression is a no

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what, I'll do an extremely quick 180 after looking at him a bit and listening to his voice and say Jake would be a pretty good choice.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They digitally removed a moustache? LMAO why

OUT on Jake gyllenhaal as Batman. I mean...maybe. idk I have to think on it but my first impression is a no
    because cavill had a big mustache for another role that he couldnt shave off, and they didnt want to give him a full beard, so they just removed the mustache in some of the scenes.

just got out from seeing it. the mustache removal was not that jarring. there's a really bad scene at the start of the film with cgi cover up, which made me think the worst, but it honestly wasnt noticable to me, and given how much press that particular item got, i couldnt help but focus on his upper lip anytime there was a close-up. i found the fact im paying so much attention to his upper lip more distracting that dodgy cgi.

overall, i kinda loved it. but then i am one of the few that loved BVS. this was much better than BVS. it was very weird seeing Superman smile, but a very welcome change in tone for him.

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't fully trust Geoff Johns.

Jenkins showed that she really got the right dynamic with Wonder Woman.

From some reports, it seems like Whedon wasn't happy that Steppenwolf was the villain.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Really mixed bag for me. I'd say overall it leans to the bad but lots of bright nuggets that could lead down a good path.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an mildly entertaining hot mess.

Utterly terrible in places, God awful character building and lacks coherence. The main villain looked like he was plucked out of an early Pixar attempt and there is no sense of threat or consequences. Like, none.

That said, Cyborg aside, all the heroes are engaging, especially Gal and Ezra, and it's fun enough.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Saw it with the kids and Mrs this morning, really enjoyed it apart from the dodgy villain but then I’m not a fan of overused cgi in general.

I liked Battfleck again, my take is he was going for a world weary somewhat broken man and he hit it.

We all loved Flash being played as ADHD/ASD and my lad though it was amazing to see someone clearly on the spectrum portrayed as a hero.

Aquaman was fine, I wasn’t sure going in but he was pretty well used and won me over.

Gadot is perfect, as are her leather trousers.

Cavill gets better as the Boy Scout each time he plays the role.

I quite liked Cyborg, he suffered from the number of hero’s more than any of the others as he did get the rush job, but I think there was enough there to get him across.

The last credit scene made me really happy.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I thought it was pretty good. I was not really sold on Flash with his duh face. It also didn't help they were using Flash season one as his origin. Steppenwolf being the villain was a Zach decision, so I can see why Joss was not happy about it. If it was Steppenwolf, Granny and the Furies then I think that would have been a better move. While they ripped off the beginning of LOTR with the backstory of the DCU, it was still one of the best things about the movie. It did feel like most of the cast was having fun with it and the plot was simple enough they didn't really fuck it up. Another competent DCU movie which this time last year, we never thought was going to happen. BTW, hearing the old themes again put a giant smile on my face.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    The comedy bits were horrible. They may have given wonder woman the worst one.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Under $100 million for the opening weekend. Yikes.

It's a franchise at crossroads. They've got Wonder Woman in place, they need to figure out Batman and Superman before they think about making any more Justice League movies.

I would keep Affleck if I could but I don't know that him leaving is a huge loss, maybe a fresh start would be helpful. I don't think Cavill has been the problem for Superman, they need a new director and writer with a different and probably more positive vision. I don't really know how to make Superman good, I think he's a difficult character for this era.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Superman is easy.

You stop trying to make him ‘fit’ and just make him bloody Superman, he’s the big Boy Scout, the beacon of hope etc just make him that and it’ll bloody work. The biggest problem with the new films was his character being messed with.

At times Hollywood goes into panic mode and tries to reinvent the wheel, sometimes all you need is a wheel.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there has to be more practical effects and fight scenes. I couldn't get into the fights in Man of Steel because it was all shaky-cam footage of CGI figures slamming each other. Thor has similar abilities, but you can see it's Hemsworth throwing the punches and taking the beatings - even if the baddies themselves are CGI. I think the Supergirl series shows that Superman can still work in this day and age - it just needs the right tone and a bit of heart. Man of Steel was missing the lighter scenes from the 1978 film of him just saving people and stopping criminals. It was a good origin story, but before we got a sense of what being Superman meant to him and the world, it lurched into an apocalyptic event that felt more suited to a second or third film.