User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Retro Gaming

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much all carts with a save feature back then had a battery, until they started using flash memory years later. I dont think any game would refuse to work without the battery. What you may find is that your game will look like its working fine including the saves. But the moment you turn the console off and on again, the save would've been wiped.
    There are guides that show you how to replace the batteries, but it usually requires a little soldering work. I've personally only ever replaced one cart battery for a GBA game, and the replacement lasted like 1/4 of the time that the original did (even though it was supposed to be the same capacity).

I dont bother playing off of original carts any more. I only buy them for the sake of collecting, and then play the roms anyway.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let it be known that any time anyone from Rajah is within driving distance of my establishment you are more than welcome to make yourselves at home.

Trying out a couple names:

Nash Arcade. Kind of sounds like NICK Arcade which was the fucking shit.

Diesel Arcade sounds like an 80's villain from a kids karate movie but still pretty dope.

I've already put out an open challenge to Xavier Woods and AJ Styles.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Let it be known that any time anyone from Rajah is within driving distance of my establishment you are more than welcome to make yourselves at home.
    the day I find myself in the middle of Nowhere, Iowa, I’m gonna be too worried about running away from the children of the corn to stop by and play vidya games.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    the day I find myself in the middle of Nowhere, Iowa, I’m gonna be too worried about running away from the children of the corn to stop by and play vidya games.
    Luckily for you I do not live in the middle of Nowhere, IA. I live about 2 minutes from the airport so you could literally just walk to my place if you wanted. I'll save you a spot my brother!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this save archiving idea (that I mentioned above) came from something I used to do like 20 years ago when emulation first became a thing. I guess I always thought it was cool to be able to go through all my old SNES carts and NES carts, or PSX memory cards and be able to revisit old save files. In some ways its kinda like a trophy when you have a Final Fantasy 6 or Super Mario World cart with a personal completed save file on there forever, that you knew was achieved by yourself. So when I first discovered roms and emulators, I like most people started to play through a fuck ton of games. And I'd keep backups of all the save files from the emulators, just like how I used to preserve the saves from the carts I had.

Fast forward all these years and cart batteries dying had become a real issue, and I saw the odd save wiped from some of my SNES or Gameboy carts. So I started to look into way to transfer save data from original carts to my PC in case this happened to any more games. I found multiple ways to do this depending on the console you're using.
    For something like the SNES, I use this:

Which is basically a backup device. The white cart has a SD card slot that you load all your roms onto, and then play on a real SNES. The cool thing about the thing is the cart slot at the top which allows you to put a real game into, and then make a backup (including the save) to the SD card. The thing also lets me UPLOAD a save to a real cart too. So in theory I can play and complete a game on an emulator, and then transfer that completed save to a real cart of the same game. There are ways you can do this with GBA games, Gameboy, PSX and PS2 memory cards, etc (with their own specific methods which I wont bother getting into).

So what I do now is use a single device (such as a handheld or a PC) with all my various console emulators in one place for convenience. Then when I'm done playing the game, I transfer the save to the legit cart that I own, whilst keeping a backup of the save on my PC in case the cart ever gets wiped. I used to insist on playing on the actual consoles, but eventually accepted I'm just being a retro VG snob. These days I'd rather just use emulators, and keep the original carts I have just purely for collecting purposes. If I REALLY have to play on a real console, I just use a flash cart like the one pictured above.
    Last edited by RuneEdge; March 15th, 2019 at 4:17 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fairly badass.
    Last edited by Rancid_Planet; March 16th, 2019 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Destroyed my mate on Mario Kart Battle Mode. He forgot ghosts can steal red shells then he slipped on a banana skin to end it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Foolish mortal.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Foolish mortal.
    I wish I got this on Youtube. "Ghost whaaaaat?" The banana skin was the icing on the cake!

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Found a hand held Oregon Trail game today at Wal-Mart in the board game section. It is just like the old computer game. Couldn't resist buying it.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    Found a hand held Oregon Trail game today at Wal-Mart in the board game section. It is just like the old computer game. Couldn't resist buying it.
    I prefer Organ Trail on PS Now. Oregon Trail meets the zombie apocalypse.

Simon
    Did anyone have one of those cheat cartridge things for PS1? It plugged into the back of the console and allowed you to put in these long codes that would alter a game's code or whatever and let you do all sorts of mad shit in games, as well as watch any cut scenes, listen to game audio etc. If I remember right I think it also allowed you to play copied games, although the real badboys like me used the pen lid trick.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had one. it came preloaded with a shitton of codes. could also view the FMV sequences and shit through it. also used it and my unlimited Blockbuster rentals to burn a fuckton of game, eventhough i maybe played 5 of them. you could also use it to somehow download saves online. i think i bought it off eBay for $30 and considered it the best purchase of my life, at the time.

the n64 one i had kinda sucked. but i think that is because i had to program in long ass codes to get stuff like THE HELL IN A CELL in No Mercy.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vaguely recall using something like that, cuz I remember using it to help my PSX stand up vertically (which apparently helped my dodgy laser load the discs better). I cant remember what use I actually had for the device itself, but knowing me it was probably something to do with copied games. I do remember using the PS2 version quite well, because I used to go online and look for codes for the games I had. The PS2 one used to come with a disc and a dongle that went into the memory card port. And again, I think the primary use for most people was its ability to load copied games.
    I personally used to use it to mess around with the cheats and codes for the Smackdown games. The stuff you could do with them used to be cool as hell. The best part was the ability to merge two match types, so you could go into a cage match via the game for example, but put in the code for a TLC match, and it would merge the two together to give you a cage match with the TLC weapons, or you could do a Royal Rumble and then use a code for HIAC.
    Also you could use codes to let you hack moves onto your CAWs, meaning you can give them Stunners and Rock Bottom's as regular moves (when they used to be exclusive to finishers). Or even remove the hard coded limit of how many weapons you can grab from under the ring, meaning you could literally pull out an unlimited amount of ladders and tables (the game would start to lag after like 10 ladders or so).

These cheat code devices arent common these days as you can now do all of this purely through software. So providing you've hacked your console, you can get apps that do this for you on things like the Wii, Switch, 3DS, etc.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for PS2 (original style), i got the modded top that made the disc drive into a flip-top.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never had the specific device you guys are talking about, but I had a GameShark for my PS1. I think I mostly used it to go into debug modes and do ridiculous cheats(like playing FFVII with constant limit breaks or every skill unlocked). I remember I briefly had one for PS2, and there apparently codes that let you use wrestling entrance themes that weren't in the games. I could never seem to get that to work, though.

I think I also found one that let you play with Sephiroth in your team.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, that raspberry pi dealio, is it difficult to figure out? i kinda want to get one with a bunch of games (like ND has up there). i see there are premade consoles, some have the games preloaded.

i figure downloading the games myself shouldn't be hard, though

is there anything you guys could recommend?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can download pre compiled emulator packs and stuff that you just copy and paste onto the SD card, stick it in the Raspberry Pi, and you're good to go.

When you buy these things, you're basically paying for the presentation of the device and the convenience. Anything over $45 or so is just money they're pocketing for the work you could've done yourself. A barebones Pi is like $30-ish, then you pay for an SD card, some USB controllers, etc.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do i needs cooling units for it and shit? what would you recommend?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesnt need any extra cooling. The thing can automatically scale back on its power whenever it starts to overheat, so it'll never heat up to a harmful level. You'd only need a heatsink and/or a fan if you plan on overclocking it for more power, which apparently you might need if you want to run N64 games at a good speed. Anything up to PSX emulation doesnt require additional cooling stuff.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have $50 in amazon money

do the work for me

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cheapest Raspberry Pi 3 is about $38 on Amazon, which is the most powerful one. You can go for the cheaper older models, but I'd suggest sticking to that. Then its a case of seeing what extras you already have around the house if you want to save money. You need a micro USB charger, so if you have one from a phone, you can use that. You need an SD card of course, HDMI cable, and a USB controller. If you want, you can use your PS4/Xbox One controller AFAIK.

http://www.lakka.tv/get/linux/
    Follow that guide if you want to install nothing on the OS but just the emulators. Basically when you're done, you'll turn it on and you'll jump straight into RetroArch.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I've been diving pretty hard back into the old games that defined a lot of my early years. Turok... used to play it, but never beat it as a kid because it intimidated me lol. Played it again and conquered that shit. DMC3... used to play it like a pansy and would only use gunslinger. Now, utilized swordmaster and trickster to the point where I was untouchable. Cerberus and Rebellion are my weapons of choice always.

But now I've gotten back into Midnight Club 2! Holy frick, this was my game as a kid. I'm only a third of the way into it, and I don't think I'll need to progress even further because the final race w/ Dice is my favorite race in the whole game. I've gotten to the point where I only play that race just to beat my own record. As a kid, I never used the motorcycle... now I've got it down to a science.

Sigh. video games

Bagel
    Got my Sega classic set up. Good to be able to play game cartridges and not just the preloaded stuff. Haven't gotten too much into those other than curling, which is nothing like the sport but it's really ridiculous fun. Not bad for $29, will post if anyone wants the link to buy where I did. (Not sure if they ship outside of US/N. America)

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    The cheapest Raspberry Pi 3 is about $38 on Amazon, which is the most powerful one. You can go for the cheaper older models, but I'd suggest sticking to that. Then its a case of seeing what extras you already have around the house if you want to save money. You need a micro USB charger, so if you have one from a phone, you can use that. You need an SD card of course, HDMI cable, and a USB controller. If you want, you can use your PS4/Xbox One controller AFAIK.

http://www.lakka.tv/get/linux/
    Follow that guide if you want to install nothing on the OS but just the emulators. Basically when you're done, you'll turn it on and you'll jump straight into RetroArch.
    awww yea

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank God for RE on this because I'm not tech savvy one bit. All I know is my boss ordered it, his brother set it up, and I'm fucking up Bubble Bobble, Ms. PacMan, SpiderMan v. X-Men, WrestleFest, Super Mario Land, it's all so dope.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having such a good time with the N64 right now. Since I've gotten back into it I've completed Mario with all 120, beat Banjo Kazooie and Star Fox, got about two thirds through Paper Mario before I got bored with it, same with Mania 2000. I just got a copy of Mario Kart last week and I've been playing it non stop. God did I miss this game.

Got a copy of DK64 coming on Thursday. Currently looking for a good deal on Goldeneye, Mario Party 1 and Pokemon Snap and Banjo Tooie. I have rediscovered ebay.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good man - I recently completed Star Fox properly for I think the first time ever. I've done the hard boss before but I definitely did a level I had no recollection of ever playing before - the one where Katt shows up and does some absolutely terrible flirting - although I did quite like the jaunty little theme tune she has.

I recently beefed up my collection as well, got a couple of games I never played including Wave Race, Pokemon Snap which is a RIOT, and Pilotwings which I still haven't even put in the console yet.

Get ready to pay through the fucking nose for Banjo Tooie.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having such a good time with the N64 right now. Since I've gotten back into it I've completed Mario with all 120, beat Banjo Kazooie and Star Fox, got about two thirds through Paper Mario before I got bored with it, same with Mania 2000. I just got a copy of Mario Kart last week and I've been playing it non stop. God did I miss this game.

Got a copy of DK64 coming on Thursday. Currently looking for a good deal on Goldeneye, Mario Party 1 and Pokemon Snap and Banjo Tooie. I have rediscovered ebay.
    These 2 and Mario Kart are on need to have list lol. I don't have many games for this system currently. No Mercy, Revenge, WCW/NWO v. The World, WWF Attitude, South Park, and Turok.

On my WiiU I have Mario64 and Yoshi's Island or some shit I can't remember, both dope games. Perfect Dark is one I also need for sure.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really feel like the time is right for a N64 Mini.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    Really feel like the time is right for a N64 Mini.
    I mean they are dropping that mini PS 1 so it's only fitting to release it's nemesis the N64 in a mini version.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had totally forgotten that mirror mode is just called "extra" in Mario Kart 64. How weird.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have fun on Toad's Turnpike. You're going against the traffic when you race on it in Mirror Mode. It's so hard to get first place.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    Have fun on Toad's Turnpike. You're going against the traffic when you race on it in Mirror Mode. It's so hard to get first place.
    Shit it's a BASTARD. I just hope for 4th so I can move on.

Bagel

Check out estarland, too. I've done some trade-ins with them that's given me a decent chunk of money to get some stuff I want. Haven't done a lot of video gaming in recent months, but as far as older systems only have the NES set up now. Got a retro mini Genesis I've had in storage for about 5 months now, maybe time for a switch. Finding the only downside to that compared to the original model is that not all games play properly on these newer versions.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just randomly bought Mario Golf 64 recently. I probably haven't played it in like 15 years, but its a really fun game even by yourself which is how I play most games nowadays. It's just so much funner than playing like the super realistic games like the Tiger Woods series.

I'd like to get Mario Tennis too, that was a fantastic 2 on 2 game with friends.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Boombastic View Post
    I just randomly bought Mario Golf 64 recently. I probably haven't played it in like 15 years, but its a really fun game even by yourself which is how I play most games nowadays. It's just so much funner than playing like the super realistic games like the Tiger Woods series.

I'd like to get Mario Tennis too, that was a fantastic 2 on 2 game with friends.
    Never played it but the one for the cube was awesome. Used to play it for hours.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I got a copy of Goldeneye and Mario Party. About as cheap as I could find them after looking around for a couple weeks.

I'll probably be playing DK64 for a while. A lot of games got shit back then for being collect-a-thons but something about that type of game just satisfies my brain. I love getting all 100 whatsits to collect the 10 golden whatums and shit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think Goldeneye alone is enough reason to own an N64. I'd say it holds up very well. My friends and I would spend hours playing that every day for months on end. It actually frightens me when I think about how many days were cumulatively sunk into that game. I think Kart is more fun in multiplayer though. I can't tell you the number of hours my friends and I pissed away playing that game. Man, N64 is awesome. I think I'll see if I can track down the Zeldas, never got into those.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never completed either of them. I got to the Water Temple on Ocarina of Time and got pissed off. Don't think I ever played Majora's Mask properly.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mario Advanced on GBA is the most addictive golfing game I've ever played. Highly recommend it some way somehow.

Picked up a PS2 slim and got some Here Comes the Pain played. Found out the PS2 slim has a defect. There are 2 micro switches that have to be depressed for the disc to spin to be read. Well only by pressing down on the back of the lid, did it hit the back switch. That also put pressure on the disc against the reader. I'm going to have to open the unit, eliminate the problem switch, and solder the connection.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up a PS2 with GTA III, Vice City, and San Andreas for under $70. I've never played Metal Gear Solid 2 and am loving it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried playing GTA III a few years ago and couldnt do it. It just looked and played like shit.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still like GTA 3 but it's annoying that you can't climb, swim or use the right stick to move the camera when you've become so used to it in the later games.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy View Post
    I still like GTA 3 but it's annoying that you can't climb, swim or use the right stick to move the camera when you've become so used to it in the later games.
    Thats my issue really.

My first GTA was 4. So 3 feels like a chore to me. Are the later era PS2 games better?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried playing GTA III a few years ago and couldnt do it. It just looked and played like shit.
    One of the things I hate the most about GTA III is the fact that you can't go to the first island anymore without getting killed after the last mission because the bloody mafia is just brutal, and two shots, and my car insta-explodes or I can go on foot and die just as fast so in order to get packages, I'd have to get one then save. I really want to 100% it, but there's challenging then there's tedious.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats my issue really.

My first GTA was 4. So 3 feels like a chore to me. Are the later era PS2 games better?
    GTA San Andreas is fantastic, it's much less clunky than GTA 3 or even Vice City. The vast size and diversity of the landscapes is something that makes it a huge improvement over the other PS2 GTA games. Although I will say that spending 30-40 minutes getting from one end of the map to the other can become a chore.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats my issue really.

GTA San Andreas is fantastic, it's much less clunky than GTA 3 or even Vice City. The vast size and diversity of the landscapes is something that makes it a huge improvement over the other PS2 GTA games. Although I will say that spending 30-40 minutes getting from one end of the map to the other can become a chore.
    This is it basically.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny enough those are more or less problems I have with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. They're not deal-breakers that make me dislike the game, but they contribute to my lack of desire to play through it again. The later ones allow you to push A to go through speeches, but Ocarina of Time doesn't. The clunky gameplay in Majora's Mask cement my apathy towards playing them. Still love San Andreas but then again who didn't? It has an atmosphere that I enjoy. Feel free to ignore the dating/relationship stuff with the exception of the date you have to complete to advance the plot in the game.

Now if they plunked Vice City game into IV's engine I think the collective nerdgasm would be visible from space. I don't get why they haven't done it, in fact? IV is an experience they've planned for you, and it just doesn't work. It takes forever to get going and take off the training wheels - and even then, I never truly felt as free as I did in past games. The driving is less fun for a bunch of reasons - camera placement, etc. In general it was just less fun.