0 Thread(s)
    You can, that's perfect.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reech View Post
    Is this the apology? Are is it still forth coming?

Man, wish I could've been there to see the dawning realisation that I was right on your face.

Got my ROMs and put my RetroPie on my SD. Need to plug it all in now and see how it is. Think I'll use an old 360 pad for a controller.
    You weren't right - you said I should have spent £12 more than I did in order to get a power supply. I said I didn't need to because I'd have one.

I did think I had loads that would be good enough though, which wasn't the case.

Are you just putting RetroPie on the SD? Do you need to put the OS on it too? I don't think you do not to but I'll be interested to see how it works out for you.

The Rosk
    Reech lost out on £100 and a clear £50 profit by playing Clubs instead of making me one and taking advantage of my idiocy.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    You weren't right - you said I should have spent £12 more than I did in order to get a power supply. I said I didn't need to because I'd have one.

I did think I had loads that would be good enough though, which wasn't the case.

Are you just putting RetroPie on the SD? Do you need to put the OS on it too? I don't think you do not to but I'll be interested to see how it works out for you.
    I just flashed the SD with RetroPie using the DiscImager software.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    Reech lost out on £100 and a clear £50 profit by playing Clubs instead of making me one and taking advantage of my idiocy.
    I'm okay with that, you feel like the type to hold a grudge if you ever found out.

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by Reech View Post
    I'm okay with that, you feel like the type to hold a grudge if you ever found out.
    I would have applauded you and thanked you for your efforts. I don't think you understand how much I would pay NOT to do something mundane.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll be back. You'll be like Alex suckling at my knowledge for scraps but now I know I can charge you whilst I just joke with him that I'm going to invoice him.

The Rosk
    Could I play Amiga games on this with a mouse, as well as NES/SNES games??>>?!??!???>?>?>?>?>??????!?!?

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly yes. But Amiga emulation is tricky because of the Amiga Operating System, Workbench, so I don't think it'll be as plug-and-play as all the other emulators.

I'm definitely going to be trying to get that working so I'll let you know.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything up to the PSX and N64 era. It starts to struggle with Dreamcast games.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. It got there at midnight tonight! Need an SD card still.

The Rosk
    What was the best walk through place to do it all?

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gizmodo or lifehacker. Think RuneEdge linked to them.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finished setting up my Pi.

Has 3 console's worth of games and uses my Playstation 4 pad on bluetooth so no cables. Bonza.

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Yeah, I done mine the other day as well. Just SNES and MAME so far. I'd recommend enabling scanlines, or installing something like video manager because the games can look pretty blocky otherwise. https://youtu.be/hH1_GMAvCdc bonus with doing video manager is that it will put a mock TV overlay over the screen as well, so you don't have to deal with the ugly black borders as the games are in 4:3.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda losing hope on ever getting the SNES Mini. Preorders seems to run out in a matter of minutes. Fuck Nintendo and their supply issues.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nintendo tweeted the SNES Mini will continue to ship into 2018, and that they're re-releasing the NES Mini.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    They realized they liked money.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on Nintendo for stepping up, though I feel they took too long to do this. I wonder what made them change their mind. I'm not even going to bother with the online retailer shenanigans, going to grab one casually.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got one.

I'm checking out of life as of now.

It's 1994 again motherfuckers.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy happiness.

It cost me 87 dollars including sales tax.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait for the N64 version of this.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    I can't wait for the N64 version of this.
    Omg I will GoldenEye the fuck out of that thing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nintendo is a very smart company. I saw that they're doing an N64 mini, that shit is sold.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I may have counted my chickens there, the N64 is only being speculated. But surely it will be a thing. Way too much money to be made and Nintendo knows it. But if/when it happens make those controllers wireless.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've read the GameBoy mini is probably going to be a thing as well.

There is just a ton of cash to be made here.

I have crawled back out of my cave to announce that I am to the Vanilla Dome in SMW, cleared 50cc in the fist three cups of Mario Kart, made it to the third circuit of Punch Out and now I'm kicking with some Donkey Kong Country because some evil fatass crocodile king done stole my banana hoard. It's cool tho. Got my boy Diddy backin me up and we gon get all them shits back and find all the secret areas.

Back to my lair.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have doubts about how soon they could put out a N64 mini. It's recently come to light that the SNES mini in terms of its hardware is literally the NES mini inside a SNES shell and different software installed. Hackers are currently working towards being able to swap them around so that you can play the NES games on the SNES and vice versa. A N64 mini would most likely require new hardware so, I'd bet that would take Nintendo more time.

Nintendo recently registered some Gameboy related trademarks, which is where the Gameboy mini rumours came from. So that's more likely of the two right now. I'm curious to know if this will actually be a mini portable or a "consolized" Gameboy. I'd love it if they could make a tiny Gameboy you can carry around with you. Those familiar with the Gameboy Micro will know they were able to make a almost credit card sized GBA over a decade ago. Something tiny like that with preloaded games and maybe WiFI for link cable emulation would be amazing.

Having said that, as much as I like these kind of re-releases of old consoles, I'm hoping it doesn't take anything away from the Virtual Console that we're all hoping the Switch eventually gets. If given the choice, I'd rather have all these games on the Switch where I can play on the go or docked to the TV at the same time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if they add online multiplayer? They promised such a feature for games on the Switch. So it would be a nice run, maybe limited to just a few of the games like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've got to do it. They'll be printing money with those things.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a copy of Metal Gear Solid for PS1 the other day and have been glued to it since, even more so than GTA or Mario (I'm playing it on my TV in the dark which again feels really addictive for a 20 year old game).

MGS's story is well written, it has great graphics for its time, a color palette comparable to a mercury streetlight (which gives off a blueish glow) and a comprehensive facility layout where everything meets together as it should.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still play my old consoles and they all look fine on a new telly. It's just a matter of whether you personally can put up with the dated graphics.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Old consoles look best on CRTs, which is great cause I had several old CRTs laying around and sold them off to a guy putting together a Smash Melee tournament.

if y’all haven’t, get a Raspberry Pi and build a RetroPi. I won a RasPi in a contest last year and put together a little system that plays NES/SNES/Genesis/Saturn games.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy View Post
    I still play my old consoles and they all look fine on a new telly. It's just a matter of whether you personally can put up with the dated graphics.
    Depends how old you go, really. Most N64, PS1 and PS2 games have an awful blur that makes every look more splotchy and watered down than normal. It can make a game with dated graphics look even worse. Conker's Bad Fur Day is a great example.

I've been getting into some old PS1 games lately. Recently started Digimon World 1 and 3, but DW1 is one of the only games from my childhood I still own the same copy, so it keeps freezing in an important spot. So in its place, I started playing Star Ocean: The 2nd Story. Both have consumed my life considerably.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how picky you want to get. Retro consoles hooked up directly to the TV will pretty much always have blurry washed out visuals, and also give you some input lag. Most people won't care, but if you're someone that does, you're better off getting a Raspberry Pi or some other form of emulation device.
    The difference looks something like this:

Retro consoles were made to be played on CRTs so viewing them on a modern flat panel will give you something like the image on the left. An emulator would give you a more "pixel perfect" image like the one of the right.

Or you can do what I and other retro snobs do and get an "upscaler" like this:
    (spoilered for size)

https://www.videogameperfection.com/...rce-converter/

You plug your retro console into that, and then a HDMI out into the TV. You get all the benefits of emulation like visuals and input lag, with the luxury of using the actual console.

Bagel
    Same here, between NES and Sega Genesis I've had no issues with graphics seeming any worse than I remember then, while using a modern, updated/upgraded TV from long ago.

Most of my gameplay of late has been the PS2. Working my way through The Warriors. Fun but annoying, having to go around tagging a bunch of shit but instead I just go looking for people to beat up and take money from, because I'll just need to go and buy more paint anyway.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Retro Duo and plus the WiiU store has a bunch of old games. On the Retro I've been alternating between Bad Dudes and Rampage on the NES and Maximum Carnage, Alien 3, and X-Men Mutant Apocalypse. I just bought Bulls v. Blazers about 2 months ago for $3.

On the WiiU I've been playing a lot of Castlevania II, Ninja Gaiden II, and I just downloaded Yoshi's Island for the N64 which is pretty wild.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way I've found to play PS1 games is on the PS2 with component. It’s sharper than the PS3, and it doesn't force the smoothing filter. Outside of emulation they look the best there at native res.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Megadrive mini coming to Japan in 2018. Genisis Mini coming to US at some point, supposedly. Being produced by AT Games, who make the current shit Genesis emulator machines you can buy that are super garbage, so i wouldnt expect this to be great.

Good news, though, is that Sega Ages is coming to Switch. Games announced so far:

Phantasy Star (Master System)
    Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Master System)
    Thunder Force IV (Mega Drive / Genesis)
    Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive / Genesis
    Gain Ground (Arcade)

Basically old Sega games on VC for the switch. If the initial 15 games do well, Sega says they'll expand to Saturn and Dreamcast games. Clockwork Knight and Ready 2 Rumble PLEASE!
    Last edited by Hero!; April 17th, 2018 at 10:56 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamcast games?
    Gimme some Crazy Taxi, Power Stone, Ikaruga, Sonic Adventure, etc.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I think this is the sweet spot.

Just build a full blown console. One that plays everything from Master System all the way to Dreamcast on one box. Get the fans involved, put a poll out on which shell they go with, and include a controller (which would cover everything) and about 500GB-1TB of storage on it to cover everything. But turn it into a bit of an event like Sega is back in hardware, go all the way. Make the shell replaceable. Sell it with a Dreamcast shell, but allow people to buy a Master System, Mega Drive or Saturn shell to replace it with. Go even further if you want and make it online and re-sell old games via their own store on it.

And I'm sure they won't, but if they go the extra mile and support netplay? That would be so amazing I've waiting for years for something like this. Can go further if they bring in SEGA CD games, but I know that’s harder to emulate.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom_Axe View Post
    Yeah, I think this is the sweet spot.

Just build a full blown console. One that plays everything from Master System all the way to Dreamcast on one box. Get the fans involved, put a poll out on which shell they go with, and include a controller (which would cover everything) and about 500GB-1TB of storage on it to cover everything. But turn it into a bit of an event like Sega is back in hardware, go all the way. Make the shell replaceable. Sell it with a Dreamcast shell, but allow people to buy a Master System, Mega Drive or Saturn shell to replace it with. Go even further if you want and make it online and re-sell old games via their own store on it.

And I'm sure they won't, but if they go the extra mile and support netplay? That would be so amazing I've waiting for years for something like this. Can go further if they bring in SEGA CD games, but I know that’s harder to emulate.
    You realize the bit about other sega consoles was in reference to the games coming to the Switch, right? The Mega Drive Mini is strictly Genesis.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yes, the Mini Gensis/Mega Drive is similar to the NES and SNES minis and the Sega Ages collection will be downloadable versions of old Sega games available on the Switch.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently bought the X-Men game for Sega Genesis for like $10. I can't even begin to tell you guys how many hours of my life have been dedicated to this game. We used to rent it all the fucking time. The fact this game still works with the shape it's in is astonishing.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I recently bought the X-Men game for Sega Genesis for like $10. I can't even begin to tell you guys how many hours of my life have been dedicated to this game. We used to rent it all the fucking time. The fact this game still works with the shape it's in is astonishing.
    You talking about the first one where you can play as Wolverine, Cyclops, Gambit or Colossus, or X-Men 2 where Psylocke is a one of the characters? I loved both of them, but I think the first one definitely ate up most of my time as a child.

Also, Adamantium Rage was my shit.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    I won't waste money buying new old consoles. I have been able to play most NES, SNES, Sega and other early games on my computer since 2002. I would rather invest in the old systems I already have if I wanted to play old games (ie buy old SNES games and play my old Super Nintendo).

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    You talking about the first one where you can play as Wolverine, Cyclops, Gambit or Colossus, or X-Men 2 where Psylocke is a one of the characters? I loved both of them, but I think the first one definitely ate up most of my time as a child.

Also, Adamantium Rage was my shit.
    This is the one where it's Wolverine, Cyclops, Gambit, and NIGHTCRAWLER. They do have a special ability where you can call upon other X-Men like IceMan, Jean Grey, etc.

This is what you're thinking of I believe:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrandolph1985 View Post
    I won't waste money buying new old consoles. I have been able to play most NES, SNES, Sega and other early games on my computer since 2002. I would rather invest in the old systems I already have if I wanted to play old games (ie buy old SNES games and play my old Super Nintendo).
    I'll say this...The Retro Duo is worth it because the updated console is basically like buying a brand new system as opposed to hoping your 30 year old system is going to stay in tact forever. Let me put it this way, I've probably owned 7 NES' in my life. 6 of them were within the last 15 years that I would get from garage sales or pawn shops and they would all crap out within a year. So the Retro def holds up and it was only $40 on Amazon.

My ex's mom bought me the Sega Genesis that has the built in games for like $45 at Best Buy about 4-5 years ago. It's ok, you can use regular Sega controllers and it plays most games so that's a plus. I wish my consoles held up but seriously, not even $100 and I have 3 of the top systems of my childhood haha. I've spent more in games than I have in the actual consoles.

Never got into playing them on the computer. I used to have a couple computer games, like when Max Payne first came out we would hit the bong and play that shit for hours. Matrix baby!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrandolph1985 View Post
    RetroPie, my guy. I put one together like nothing and use it to play old 8 and 16-bit games. BOTW got me interested in playing all the old Zeldas again, so I bring my Retropie to work and play Legend of Zelda during my lunch break for like a week now.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the one where it's Wolverine, Cyclops, Gambit, and NIGHTCRAWLER. They do have a special ability where you can call upon other X-Men like IceMan, Jean Grey, etc.

This is what you're thinking of I believe:

I actually meant Nightcrawler. Colossus is in that second one with Psylocke. Both dope games, though. That first one is just extra nostalgic for me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still wishing for the N64 Mini... will throw money at you, Nintendo.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still wishing for the N64 Mini... will throw money at you, Nintendo.
    I miss the days of 20 of us getting together to play WCW v. NWO Revenge, No Mercy, Goldeneye, Turok, Mario, just a great system.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss the days of 20 of us getting together to play WCW v. NWO Revenge, No Mercy, Goldeneye, Turok, Mario, just a great system.
    I loved No Mercy, and wow you're definitely reminding me of a fun youth with my friends. We’d duel it out on Tuesdays after school. It was a blast! World Tour was beast, also.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wrestling games ever are still the n64 ones.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Except when No Mercy wiped all your data at the end of each storyline

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember having a lot of fun with WrestleMania 2000. However WCW/nWo Revenge is pretty good too, to the point where you should get the one with the roster you prefer.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrestlemania 2000 is better than No Mercy. No Mercy has a few more wrestlers and modes, but Wrestlemania 2000 was so much smoother playing with 4 players and had fewer flaws like was mentioned above.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love both these games equally. If you were to take features from one game onto the next and et cetra then it would be the complete game. It's like choosing identical twins, but having to keep one. As for Revenge, it's good, but it's bare bones. There's no story to anything, and there's an edit mode not a create-a-wrestler. It was great for its time, but WWE blew it out of the water.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought Super Mario 64 on Wii U for $10 and I've been playing that. Gotten up to about 50 stars in the last week or two.

It holds up very well IMO and plays well on Wii U.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A month or two ago I got the idea to go back and play old Tony hawk games. So I started with 3. I kicked it's ass and after walking around with Wish by Alien Ant Farm stuck in my head for weeks I decided to move onto the classic THPS 4.

Only to not be able to find the motherfucker anywhere. I know I had it somewhere. I have all of them (well the good ones. Nothing after 8) and I quite literally tore the house apart trying to find it.

I didn't even want to play it THAT badly but it was a matter of principle. Even after Chelsie told me "Honey you can buy it on amazon for literally 2 dollars" I did not stop looking.

Well long story short I ordered it from amazon and when I get home tonight I have to reassemble the living room and all the closets from where I destroyed them last night.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    A month or two ago I got the idea to go back and play old Tony hawk games. So I started with 3. I kicked it's ass and after walking around with Wish by Alien Ant Farm stuck in my head for weeks I decided to move onto the classic THPS 4.

Only to not be able to find the motherfucker anywhere. I know I had it somewhere. I have all of them (well the good ones. Nothing after 8) and I quite literally tore the house apart trying to find it.

I didn't even want to play it THAT badly but it was a matter of principle. Even after Chelsie told me "Honey you can buy it on amazon for literally 2 dollars" I did not stop looking.

Well long story short I ordered it from amazon and when I get home tonight I have to reassemble the living room and all the closets from where I destroyed them last night.
    these games were classic

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    these games were classic
    They really are. Talk about a game to just zone out and lose yourself in. Something about them just always made them a perfect time killer.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They really are. Talk about a game to just zone out and lose yourself in. Something about them just always made them a perfect time killer.
    the soundtracks are so classic too. for whatever reason they had all songs that get stuck in your head. off hand I'm not sure of the one you mentioned but just talking about these games makes Blitzkrieg Bop get stuck in my head.

hey! ho! let's go!

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    You can’t mention tony hawk songs without mentioning the classic Superman by Goldfinger

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the soundtracks are so classic too. for whatever reason they had all songs that get stuck in your head. off hand I'm not sure of the one you mentioned but just talking about these games makes Blitzkrieg Bop get stuck in my head.

hey! ho! let's go!
    Also from 3. I know because of just playing it through. Those soundtracks were actually what got me to start giving rap music a chance as before that I was a rock only guy.

My copy of THPS 4 just showed up. Happiness.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say, I never played TH1, but the second one was a game that marked my life. That said, I couldn't help but think how it feel outdated. It might have been great two decades ago but I can't see it having relevance today. I adore it. It was just really special to play back in the day... love TH wish they'd got a remaster like Crash n.sane trilogy.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the first two are really hard to play now. Basically they just don't let you do nearly enough. 3 is fun but the levels feel really tiny. THPS 4, Underground 1 and 2, American Wasteland and THPS8 are the best games to go back and replay. Something I used to do all the time but it's been a few years.

I just started up 4 this afternoon before I had to leave for work and just skating around College brought back so many memories of playing games of horse and graffiti with my brother all night long.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These games are nostalgic for me. I used to play 2 and later 3 on PC, and I had 4 for GCN. A few years ago when I bought my N64, I got Banjo-Kazooie and THPS2 with it. Banjo-Kazooie didn't work, so I spent a lot of time playing that. I lost interest at 4. I wasn't a fan of punk music at the time but these games got me into it more.
    Last edited by Brock Kasady; November 5th, 2019 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually found a copy of THPS2 at a thrift shop for like 3 bucks a few weeks ago. Played the shit out of it for like three weeks straight. It really made me want to go back and play the first one, but not having manuals is a killer. I need to find a copy of THPS3, though, because that game was king for me.

I was more a fan of THPS4 then most were, but the game kinda lost it's charm for me. Underground 1 and American Wasteland were the shit, though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Memory cards have ruined some classic games for me lately, for whatever reason none of my N64 memory cards work anymore, so for like 40% of the games that require them, they are basically unplayable unless I just want to have like a 15 hour game marathon.

Also my PS2 just no longer reads the memory cards in the first slot, but it will in the 2nd slot, but certain games will not recognize the 2nd slot memory card for some reason. For example, I wanted to play GTA San Andreas while my wife went out of town, but it's not exactly the type of game you play in one sitting. Very frustrating.

It is one of the pros about playing, nes/snes/sega over some of the 2nd or 3rd generation systems, as they usually have a password or battery backup memory.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually found a copy of THPS2 at a thrift shop for like 3 bucks a few weeks ago. Played the shit out of it for like three weeks straight. It really made me want to go back and play the first one, but not having manuals is a killer. I need to find a copy of THPS3, though, because that game was king for me.

I was more a fan of THPS4 then most were, but the game kinda lost it's charm for me. Underground 1 and American Wasteland were the shit, though.
    Underground 2 really was inferior to the first one wasn't it? I mean the first one had an actual story to follow. The second had a lame Jackassy kind of story they cobbled together. And some of the levels were uninspired.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I bought Super Mario 64 on Wii U for $10 and I've been playing that. Gotten up to about 50 stars in the last week or two.

It holds up very well IMO and plays well on Wii U.
    Can you buy old n64 games on the switch in the same manner? I am debating Switch vs Xbox One to go alongside my Ps4.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Pump View Post
    Can you buy old n64 games on the switch in the same manner? I am debating Switch vs Xbox One to go alongside my Ps4.
    To my knowledge no but I don't own a Switch. I know they have said they aren't doing a virtual console on Switch like they did on Wii and Wii U. Too bad because that might put me over the top to buy a Switch as well. They have said however that this doesn't mean they won't still re-release old games on Switch just that they aren't using the "virtual console" banner so we'll see. Many people are speculating that they're moving away from virtual console because of the success of NES mini and SNES mini and that N64 mini may be next up although it's not been announced.

I will add that if I were not a Wii U owner I would be all over Switch because if I hadn't already experienced or had access to Mario Kart 8, Zelda, Splatoon & Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, those would be enough to put me over the top along with my unrelenting desire to play Mario Odyssey. But as a Wii U owner I don't care much about getting MK8 again even though it's my favorite game of the decade and I got like 500 hours out of it.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Cheers

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get a switch, unless you're a big fan of halo and gears of war. i can't even remember the last time i turned on my xbox one. their exclusive titles are almost non-existent, so you're not missing out on much, and the switch offers up a totally different experience.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    That was what I was thinking myself, I mean I do like those series and I played Sunset Overdrive which I enjoyed,And from what I gather the backwards compatibility options are pretty expansive But I haven't owned a Nintendo since the 64 so it would certainly feel a lot fresher. I kinda wish they had a version of Achievements/Trophies but hey ho.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Underground 2 really was inferior to the first one wasn't it? I mean the first one had an actual story to follow. The second had a lame Jackassy kind of story they cobbled together. And some of the levels were uninspired.
    Absolutely. Plus, the first one really gave you that feeling of starting as your average street skater punk who gets noticed, sponsored, and makes it to the big leagues. As someone who grew up skating, that was such an immersive angle for the game, especially when it came to creating your own special and choosing what company you wanted to sponsor you and all that. Underground 2 had some fun goals, and some of the Jackassy cutscenes were amusing, but yeah, the story was almost non-existent and it didn't really feel like it did anything new.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. Plus, the first one really gave you that feeling of starting as your average street skater punk who gets noticed, sponsored, and makes it to the big leagues. As someone who grew up skating, that was such an immersive angle for the game, especially when it came to creating your own special and choosing what company you wanted to sponsor you and all that. Underground 2 had some fun goals, and some of the Jackassy cutscenes were amusing, but yeah, the story was almost non-existent and it didn't really feel like it did anything new.
    I totally agree. On all points. Underground 2 felt kind of empty. American Wasteland had a really fun story as well. Better dialogue and insane levels made me fall in love the first time I played it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was what I was thinking myself, I mean I do like those series and I played Sunset Overdrive which I enjoyed,And from what I gather the backwards compatibility options are pretty expansive But I haven't owned a Nintendo since the 64 so it would certainly feel a lot fresher. I kinda wish they had a version of Achievements/Trophies but hey ho.
    Besides a few exclusives, the majority of the games on the Xbox One will be the same as what you can already play on the PS4. Plus you have to fork out another £40 a year for the online. The Switch on the other hand will cost half of that for online, and give you a larger range of games and gaming experiences that you can't get anywhere else.
    I think I've bought more games for the Switch in its first year than I've bought for any other console in the same time frame.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    I think I've bought more games for the Switch in its first year than I've bought for any other console in the same time frame.
    same. i got my switch back in october, a week before odyssey came out. eight months later and ive got 20 games for it. i think i maybe have 50 for my ps4, and i got that the week it came out in 2013, and a good handful of those are some free ps+ titles. and theres still so much in the eshop that i want, and so much still to come. nintendo had really managed to hit the sweet spot with the switch. more than half my switch library are smaller indie titles, too.

The Rosk
    https://ia801907.us.archive.org/32/i...Of..._2016.pdf

Free 120 page PDF of an Edge special edition magazine “The Making Of..” if anyone wants something to flick through.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I think you fine gentleman have made my mind up

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked all the Pro Skater ones and THUG 1, but THUG 2 was disappointing. The story mode was ridiculous, and the levels weren't great. I ordered SSX 3 on Amazon for $15, I got it today, and there was no disc inside the case! Typical, but just maybe, very slight chance however, the seller forgot to put the disc inside.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked all the Pro Skater ones and THUG 1, but THUG 2 was disappointing. The story mode was ridiculous, and the levels weren't great. I ordered SSX 3 on Amazon for $15, I got it today, and there was no disc inside the case! Typical, but just maybe, very slight chance however, the seller forgot to put the disc inside.
    It's happened before. You habe to contact that person. 15 bucks is 15 bucks.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm losing hope on the N64 classic happening anytime soon.

So I ordered a replacement N64 system and some games.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Part of me hopes that we're not hearing anything about it because they're in the process of working out a deal with Microsoft. It'd make sense after working with Nintendo on the Minecraft port.

Now Sony making a mini Playstation that had like 50 classic games on it with two original controllers packed in? Maybe memory slots so if you had old saves you could pick up where you left off 20+ years ago or whatever? That I'd see flying off shelves.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they don't work out something with MS then the N64 classic is going to be a bit of a letdown.

No Rare games can appear on it if they didn't use Nintendo licensed characters. So no Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, no Goldeneye 007 but that wouldn't have happened anyway because Nintendo doesn't ever bring back games for stuff like this if they involve licensing issues.

So also no WWF games.

Basically it will have Mario 64, the Zelda games, Mario Kart, the Mario Party games, DK64, and probably Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox 64 for sure.

It's gonna be tough. I'm sure it will still come out but I'm aching to play some of these games NOW. I feel like this Christmas will be for the two classics already out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I revisited Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie in the last several weeks and 100%'d both of them for the first time, and the games still put a smile on my face the whole time I was playing. I know BK isn't a series everyone with an N64 got into, but it's hard to deny how good/memorable these games are to this day. I remember taking so long to beat Grunty in Tooie as a kid, but now, it's a breeze.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100 percenting Tooie is a fucking accomplishment.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my N64 system showed up. As did my copies of Mario 64, Banjo and StarFox 64.

I'm already 31 stars into Mario. This game still rocks. God it takes me back. I haven't played the original version in 15 yearsish.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm playing Yoshi's Woolly World, and it's bringing back memories of Yoshi's Story. You got to get Yoshi's Story. Pokémon Snap and Pokémon Stadium are definitely part of the experience. Spider-Man 64 was a gem. Was always fond of Snowboard Kids too. Got all the stars in Mario probably a year or so ago, bust out Star Fox once every few months, and play Kart multiplayer once in a while.
    Last edited by Brock Kasady; June 26th, 2020 at 7:43 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really should get Yoshi's story. I had it back in the day but as I recall the control stick went out on my controller or something and I couldn't play it right away. Then when I finally got a working controller I had moved on to other shit and it just sat in the pile forever.

I watched my brothers play Stadium a lot and I rented Snap once or twice and had a total blast.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This system is incredible and everyone should get one

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Omg I will GoldenEye the fuck out of that thing.
    i doubt many rare games will be on there unless mircosoft and nintendo work out some kind of deal.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    i doubt many rare games will be on there unless mircosoft and nintendo work out some kind of deal.
    Yeah I hadn't considered the licensing issues either. Even if a deal is worked out with MS there is basically no way we'd get Goldeneye 007.

Or for that matter Wrestlemania 2000 or No Mercy. Probably no Star Wars games either.

I think the only Rare game that would definitely be on this thing would be DK64 because Nintendo owns the Donkey Kong name and likeness.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    This system is incredible and everyone should get one
    I gotta know.

What game did you go to first?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Starfox to unlock starfox 2

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    You may very well be right, but imagine an N64 mini without Goldeneye.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the NES and SNES Minis have both been hacked to include more games.

That'll probably happen to the Nintendo 64 mini. So, once it is, add all the Goldeneyes and Perfect Darks, and.... Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers you want to it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm seeing these units going for $500 on eBay that have been modded to include an HDMI port so you can enjoy a crisp picture in 1080...anyone have or tried out one of these HDMI N64s?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    I'm seeing these units going for $500 on eBay that have been modded to include an HDMI port so you can enjoy a crisp picture in 1080...anyone have or tried out one of these HDMI N64s?
    The picture quality is as clean as you can possibly get. It will look like its running on an emulator. The reason it costs so much is because the mod kits are hard to get a hold of, and then the installation is quite difficult with all the fine soldering work required.

Having said that, for $500 you're better off getting a RBG modded N64 and then a good scaler that will convert the scart output to HDMI. The picture quality would be almost identical, and the scaler would work with other console (that use scart) and provide the same picture quality for all of them.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fuck em runey fuck em up clap clap