User Tag List

Thread: Who do you want your children to support?

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who do you want your children to support?

My daughter is five months old so obviously I bought her a Liverpool baby grow but if she ends up liking football I want her to support a team she can actually go and see.

Our nearest team is Spurs so that is one option but her mum and uncle are Arsenal fans so they seem more likely. My father in law is an Orient season ticket holder so she could go there with granddad but that seems unreasonably cruel. I think any London team would be fine but I would draw the line at United, City or Everton.

How about you? If your children are old enough to support a team what happened? If you have a baby, a toddler or no children yet what is the plan?

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe she just wont like football.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fulham obviously

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Maybe she just wont like football.
    Arsenal fan then?

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably wont be having any kids but if I did I would let them make up their own mind.

And give them up for adoption if they become redshite obviously...

The Rosk
    I'd like him to be a Villa fan but it's up to him really.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Collin View Post
    Arsenal fan then?
    Waheeey give him a biscuit someone.

Simon
    That was a good gag to be fair.

I've had my outlook set in stone for years - if he wants to be a Tottenham fan I'll buy him all the gear, take him to games (!!!!!!!) and it'll be great. If he wants to support Brighton or a smaller local club, I'll do the same. If he wants to support another club that's fine, but I won't be actively encouraging it. Maybe a shirt at Christmas or the odd game for a treat. And then finally I will be doing everything I can to disabuse him of any idea of supporting Arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool. To the extent that I won't dig them out constantly in case it pushes him towards them if he decides to be a pain in the arse when he gets a bit older.

I'm already ahead of the game...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Neither of my kids are big fans but do enjoy watching so I have taken them to games where when teams have come through. I have also taken them to watch the local smaller division team here a couple times since St. Louis doesn't have a MLS team. Basically with any sports I push the teams I love but let them decide if they become fans of any team. I just have the right to disown them when they choose wrong. Neither of them have latched on to an MLS or English side like I have. They just like to watch whoever at this point.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    My lad has 2 Spurs shirts. Bought by my wife, actually. Who has zero interest in footie.

BUT, he's 4 and a half now and he's worked out how to wind me up. So he says he supports Chelsea, Arsenal and West Ham. He often forgets West Ham though, but knows there's a third team, so he has to ask me who the third team is. Ha.

He mentions Chelsea the most. I'd sooner get him an Arsenal top.

Seriously, he can support who he wants. Not convinced he'll be a fan of footie at all though, to be honest. As for local sides, well, it's not great. Do I really want to take him to see Luton Town? And Milton Keynes just feels wrong.