Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637 LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,600 of 3648

Thread: Baseball

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWE View Post
    End Clemens and Bonds career in 1999. They are both HOF players. Sad the writers won't admit it.
    They all admit it. But then they continued their career after that. You don't only get to cherry-pick the good stuff.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are cherry picking that Fred McGriff never did steroids, which is highly dubious

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    If I’m getting paid stupid money like that, you can boo me all you want…talk shit at me while I’m eating dinner in a restaurant, I don’t give a fuck.

:checks his bank account, dusts his shoulder off:
    Oh yeah I don't disagree. Some dudes are like that, some dudes, like Piazza when he was on the Mets, hated hearing the boos.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    They are cherry picking that Fred McGriff never did steroids, which is highly dubious

As an Astros fan...Bagwell. Bagwell from the 90s is a Hall of Famer, but Bonds and Clemens aren't?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dubious because of the era? I mean he was skinny as fuck

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no problem keeping Bonds and Clemens out while they are living. Perhaps a posthumous induction, but the big thing for me is there's never been any remorse from either of them. So don't let them get to enjoy the celebration.

Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So uh…… anyone wanna come to SD with me for a weekend this upcoming baseball season?

Fuck me. Just……. Why do you have to insult these guys with ridiculous low ball offers when you say you’re working to extend them? Only to say, “yup” it’s a big loss for our organization that we couldn’t keep him but hey we tried”. NO YOU FUCKING DIDNT YOU ABSOLUTE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!

To The Face
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bogaerts to San Diego. That's an insane amount of money plus years for him.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeseToTheFace View Post
    Bogaerts to San Diego. That's an insane amount of money plus years for him.
    I can't see him performing nearly as well in that ballpark, when he won't have the Green Monster to enjoy. But I am happy he got paid, and also happy he won't be in the AL East anymore.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kenley Jansen to Boston for 2 years. I think I speak for both Atlanta and LA when I say congrats, he's great...just don't let him pitch with runners on base.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wellllll looks like the 2023 season is cancelled.

The Mets have signed ALL the players in baseball and now we don't have players for all the other teams to operate.

Except for the Pirates who, do to a neverending supply of homeless people, have found a team they say is worthy of fielding.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So was able to score actual printing plates for each of the 3 houston chronicle front page world series victory editions from the day after game 6, and I get home late tonight to see a surprise gift from my pretty rad gf who took the time to put together a handmade frame to hang them on the wall. So shit ya, I'm pretty stoked..

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not an avid collector, but I can see why you'd be pumped about that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    I am not an avid collector, but I can see why you'd be pumped about that.
    Ya, I'm in no way any kind of collector, just had the opportunity to score these from work when a handful of sets were made - and even cropped to frame - and kinda smuggled off to the side.

And thanks, bud, I certainly am..

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correa to SF for 13/350. Another insane contract but those will be the norm as long as the luxury tax is calculated by AAV of contracts.

r/baseball has some hilarious takes on how long the contract is. My favorite is someone pointing out that an 8 year old fan now can legally drink a beer at Correa’s last home game.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The length of the contract doesn't really matter for these players who are being locked up for the rest of their careers. Might as well make it $350/20 years. Now obviously the players wants it shorter because money now is more valuable than money later, and they might not want to be contractually obligated to play baseball into their 40s. But theoretically you could stretch it out super long and the player would be cut when they are too old to make the MLB roster.

I'm not super well informed on the MLB cap/contract rules, though.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The length of the contract doesn't really matter for these players who are being locked up for the rest of their careers. Might as well make it $350/20 years. Now obviously the players wants it shorter because money now is more valuable than money later, and they might not want to be contractually obligated to play baseball into their 40s. But theoretically you could stretch it out super long and the player would be cut when they are too old to make the MLB roster.

I'm not super well informed on the MLB cap/contract rules, though.
    There is no cap in MLB. There's a luxury tax on payroll, however. The tax rate depends on what that year's salary is and if a team is a repeat offender or a first time offender. There are also penalties for draft picks and compensatory draft picks for losing a free agent.

MLB contracts are fully guaranteed, I believe. Even if the Giants offered Correa a 20 year deal, they'd be on the hook and paying a 50 year old former player to sit at home because they cut him. For instance when the Mets DFA'd Robinson Cano earlier this year they were still paying him even after he signed with another team in the Mexican league.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    There is no cap in MLB. There's a luxury tax on payroll, however. The tax rate depends on what that year's salary is and if a team is a repeat offender or a first time offender. There are also penalties for draft picks and compensatory draft picks for losing a free agent.

MLB contracts are fully guaranteed, I believe. Even if the Giants offered Correa a 20 year deal, they'd be on the hook and paying a 50 year old former player to sit at home because they cut him. For instance when the Mets DFA'd Robinson Cano earlier this year they were still paying him even after he signed with another team in the Mexican league.
    Right. What I'm saying is, at 13 years, this will take Correa to age 41 so they've locked him up for the remainder of his career for all intents and purposes. But why stop there? If they made it $350/20 years, the AAV would drop so it would help the Giants with the luxury tax. It would hurt them down the line because I know the money is guaranteed, but it would still be beneficial to spread out the AAV, thus circumventing the luxury tax, and defer the money like so many other players have had their money deferred to the annual joy of baseball fans on the internet (Bobby Bonilla day).

Again, I know that this isn't beneficial to the player for monetary reasons, but what's the upper limit? If you told Correa we'll throw in an extra $15 million to make it $365 but we'll spread the entire thing over 20 years, who says no? Well, Correa might in that case because it hurts the true value of his contract (interest, inflation, etc) but why not manipulate the rules like this? This is where I don't know the rules well enough to say if the MPBPA or another party would object to the absurdity of stretching it out into old age.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right. What I'm saying is, at 13 years, this will take Correa to age 41 so they've locked him up for the remainder of his career for all intents and purposes. But why stop there? If they made it $350/20 years, the AAV would drop so it would help the Giants with the luxury tax. It would hurt them down the line because I know the money is guaranteed, but it would still be beneficial to spread out the AAV, thus circumventing the luxury tax, and defer the money like so many other players have had their money deferred to the annual joy of baseball fans on the internet (Bobby Bonilla day).

Again, I know that this isn't beneficial to the player for monetary reasons, but what's the upper limit? If you told Correa we'll throw in an extra $15 million to make it $365 but we'll spread the entire thing over 20 years, who says no? Well, Correa might in that case because it hurts the true value of his contract (interest, inflation, etc) but why not manipulate the rules like this? This is where I don't know the rules well enough to say if the MPBPA or another party would object to the absurdity of stretching it out into old age.
    A player's contract is void as soon as he retires and he forfeits any money left on the deal. So If Correa signs a deal for 20 years, 400 million and retires after 15 seasons, he's losing 100 million bucks. This could work if a team is extending a player in his early 20s and want to make him a member of that team for his entire contract but the odds of that happening are slim and none. Young players might sign a deal that makes them a FA after 15 years but they'll still be in their mid 30s at that time.

Now, if wanted to "play" until he's 48 to get the full value of his contract like Julio Franco did the team would have to leave him on the 40 man roster and he'd potentially block a younger player from getting time in the majors.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't even process these deals anymore.

400 bajilliony dollars for eleventy years.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy to hear that the Yankees landed Rodon. Another quality starting pitcher always helps. Surprised at the money but he was the best remaining starter, so good for him.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year's free agent market has gone nanners

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swanson to the Cubs for about 25 mil a year for 7 years.

That is a LOT for a great defensive player and a very streaky 250 batting avg/25 homerun guy.

I love this free agent market.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Swanson to the Cubs for about 25 mil a year for 7 years.

That is a LOT for a great defensive player and a very streaky 250 batting avg/25 homerun guy.

I love this free agent market.
    I'm just glad him and his stupid ass name are out of the division. Dude seemed to always make big plays against the Mets.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the contract for Senga and the Mets. He can opt out after 2025 if he has 400 IP combined between 2023-2025. Mets hold an option for 2028 if Senga has TJ surgery or misses more than 130 days with an injury to his pitching arm. There are bonuses for end of year awards as well. Really a fair contract all around and I look forward to seeing the guy pitch.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just glad him and his stupid ass name are out of the division. Dude seemed to always make big plays against the Mets.
    I mean with a name like Dansby Swanson he had no choice but to play basbeball professionally.

Can't wait for the next great era of ball players with names like

Skylar Matchbook

Horn Tribunal

Flynn Stax

Gregory Metamucil

Sock Drawer-Politix

Hoobastank McGovern

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correa to the Mets because why the fuck not? This is insane.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What in the fuck?

Ok Atlanta needs to do something besides signing kids to 10 year contracts and they need to do it now.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    You guys literally won last year and have a long term base set.

What are you worried about?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I woke up at 4 AM to bring my daughter to the bathroom and I got the alert on my watch that he agreed to terms with the Mets. Legit thought I was dreaming.

Supposedly the Giants saw something in the physical that made them want to look into it further. Scott Boras told them Correa was walking and called Steve Cohen, who approved the deal while he was eating dinner in Hawaii. I don't love this as a Mets fan because if Correa has a bad back/bad shoulder/bad something, signing an 11 year deal isn't the best idea. But it's not my money so I guess who cares.

I've waited a long, long time to have an offseason like this as a Mets fan. I wonder what deGrom is thinking down in TX right now.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    You guys literally won last year and have a long term base set.

What are you worried about?
    Since we won the world series we exchanged our all star first basemen for a slightly worse first basemen and lost our all star shortstop to free agency and replaced him with nothing.

The Mets and Phillies (who beat us in the playoffs) are spending at a higher rate than we are and assembling superstar teams that we may not be able to compete with longterm.

We have gotten slightly less talented as a roster while they have gotten slightly better. It doesn't do you any good to be the 4th best roster in the NL if you're the 3rd best in your own division.

I can't just stop wanting to win because we won a ring two seasons ago.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what deGrom is thinking down in TX right now.

"Should I do it? Should I really build a Scrooge McDuck moneybin?"

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since we won the world series we exchanged our all star first basemen for a slightly worse first basemen and lost our all star shortstop to free agency and replaced him with nothing.

The Mets and Phillies (who beat us in the playoffs) are spending at a higher rate than we are and assembling superstar teams that we may not be able to compete with longterm.

We have gotten slightly less talented as a roster while they have gotten slightly better. It doesn't do you any good to be the 4th best roster in the NL if you're the 3rd best in your own division.

I can't just stop wanting to win because we won a ring two seasons ago.
    you won 101 games last season. pump the brakes.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shall not.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old Carlos is running into the same issues with his Mets physical as he did for SF. Sounds like the Mets are willing to work with him but I don't think he's getting a deal that lasts until he's 39 or whatever now. Not one the Mets can't get out of.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    This is exactly why the Astros were so willing to let him walk. He's just spent far too much time on the il, particularly for a guy seeking an 8+year kinda deal. Didn't hurt believing a kid like Pena could help ease the loss too.

The Astros are pretty averse to contracts longer than 5 or 6 years just as a general rule, but no chance a guy with the kind of injury history of a Correa even sniffs a negotiation like that here.

Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANK

GOD

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly the Mets are trying to have MLB and MLBPA approve "unique" clauses for the Correa contract. I'm assuming that means there will be a lot of outs for the Mets if he spends a significant time on the IL due to his ankle issue.

If he can stay healthy for a few seasons, that tracks with the Mets plans to do whatever it takes to win a ring in the next three seasons.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That ankle must be hanging on with scotch tape.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Athletic is reporting that the Twins may be willing to just give him the huge contract without any stipulations.

Ah the Twins. Always making those smart moves.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Athletic is reporting that the Twins may be willing to just give him the huge contract without any stipulations.

Ah the Twins. Always making those smart moves.
    Supposedly other teams have not only been in contact with Boras but have made offers. Have to imagine these offers are pending a physical so another team would be exactly where the Mets are at this point. Make an offer, get the physical, then renegotiate the deal depending on what a third(!) doctor would say.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correa to the Twins for 6/$200MM...PENDING A PHYSICAL.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Any chance y'all would wanna throw down on a best MLB player all time list?

Just throwing a feeler out here real quick. Also interested in discussion on any criteria.

If we were to go ahead should there be a starting point at all?.. should we start with the Ruth era? should it be later, etc?

Anyway, just throwing this out there as baseball will soon be here and why not have a fun warmup, also I don't think this one's been done so why the fuck not?

Ok, anway, y'all let me know..

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In

Bob Uecker deserves to be remembered

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of criteria I'm fine with whatever, but since you asked... I'd say just let it fly. Anything goes.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    In terms of criteria I'm fine with whatever, but since you asked... I'd say just let it fly. Anything goes.
    Well I'm certainly open to whatever feedback/suggestions.

I'm curious if keeping it completely wide open for a sport with the immense history of MLB might lead to a bit too 'scattered' a final tally. Perhaps not though, or perhaps it doesn't have to matter, and that's why I'd like to hear from anyone who'd like to participate.

I personally lean towards an all everyone, all time ballot.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard yes

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    In

Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa

Back for a visit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott Rolen made the HOF, the only player to hit the 75% threshold this year.

• PLAYER VOTES PCT.
    • Scott Rolen 297 76.3
    • Todd Helton 281 72.2
    • Billy Wagner 265 68.1
    • Andruw Jones 226 58.1
    • Gary Sheffield 214 55.0
    • Carlos Beltrán 181 46.5
    • Jeff Kent 181 46.5
    • Alex Rodríguez 139 35.7
    • Manny Ramírez 129 33.2
    • Omar Vizquel 76 19.5
    • Andy Pettitte 66 17.0
    • Bobby Abreu 60 15.4
    • Jimmy Rollins 50 12.9
    • Mark Buehrle 42 10.8
    • Francisco Rodríguez 42 10.8

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am surprised that Jeff Kent did not do better in his final year, but he should make it through the veterans committee.

Billy Wagner should have made it through

A-Rod is tainted by the steroid problem, as is Manny, but both deserve better than they fared.

Beltran must have been left off the ballots by many writers because of his involvement with the Astro's cheating scandal.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by hithit View Post
    Yes
    In

Bob Uecker deserves to be remembered
    Hard yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    In
    Quote Originally Posted by Caito View Post
    Sure
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Chin_Music View Post
    In
    So it appears this thing is almost certainly a go, and I think that's pretty fuckin cool.

Still wanna keep entries open for a little bit while I've got some things to take care of to free up a bit.. that said also still wanna leave the door open for any suggestions on parameters and whatnot before the lists start compiling. As it stands I'm thinking we'll just have a wide open all-time, all-anyone absolute best of MLB Rumble..

Any player from any era - pitchers, fielders, Shohei's, etc - only thing I think stands is this should be MLB only. I believe Josh Gibson and Cool Papa Bell and Sadaharu Oh could've done plenty of damage had they had the chance, but to keep things relatively level we'll keep it to dudes from their time(s) in The Show.

So ya, I'll send some mentions out to a few remaining mofos who I hope will wanna get down.. in the mean time, think on it and list up fellas. Hope this is fun.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    @BigAl @Pablo Diablo @Morrison @_me @CWE @NeseToTheFace @virms @MTR @Defrost @TimeSplitter @Randolph @PurePlayer

All-time greatest MLB player top 20 list in the making..

I'm hittin' y'all up, hope you can/want to participate.. give it a think and please let me know here fellas..

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bonds, Barry.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    1 down, 19 more to go, and as the kids say bro.. i'm here for it.

Bonds is just the kinda guy to make this thing all the more interesting. Was a rubber stamped HoF'er before he ever touched the stuff.

Then he became a legend that legends tell other legends about, and for every reason imaginable.

100% he'll be in my top 20, just haven't begun to consider how high..

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Here's a list of every player with 400 home runs and 400 stolen bases for their career...

Quote Originally Posted by CWE View Post
    Bonds, Barry.
    And he did that by 1999. (The year I end the human known as Barry Bonds baseball career.)

The tank in human form played the last 8 years, where he padded those stats to add the only player with 500 HR and 500 SB.

You take (arguably) the greatest hitter going against some of the best competition in the sports history, a lot of who where juiced to the gills, and he STILL was a man amongst boys.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Bro, you're by and large preaching the choir.. he's not my number 1, but he's in that kind of elite class.

By all means friend, make a Bonds-led list, and bring that heat..

These kinds of exercises are usually the most fun for numbers 2-something just inside the top 10. The more names we get that aren't Ruth the more interesting..

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I can do a lost this weekend

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I can work on a list.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could do the 20th century super easy. That last 20 years are tougher. I wonder how many crack the list…

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    By the way excited to see Rolen in the HOF. Well deserved.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Any player from any era - pitchers, fielders, Shohei's, etc - only thing I think stands is this should be MLB only. I believe Josh Gibson and Cool Papa Bell and Sadaharu Oh could've done plenty of damage had they had the chance, but to keep things relatively level we'll keep it to dudes from their time(s) in The Show.
    All the progress we've made in this country and you're still excluding Negro League players from our list. Turkey Stearnes is turning in his grave!

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MTR View Post
    By the way excited to see Rolen in the HOF. Well deserved.
    Can't wait to see him go in with a Jays hat...

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    OK. I got to 23 names before I just had to stop for now. This list is gonna suck to cut 3 assuming I don't think of anyone else to add. And before I check numbers.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    I will do a list.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I know fuck-all about baseball, have no idea how I’d even start my list.

I will sit back, enjoy the submitted lists and discussion/justification that is sure to follow.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try and get mine in by next week. Got some thinking to do and I gotta go out of town this weekend.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Can't wait to see him go in with a Jays hat...
    Cards hat.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eddie Murray had the most freakishly consistent career ever.

He never got more than 33 HRs in a season but had 12 seasons with more than 25 HRs
    He never got more than 187 hits in a season but had 12 season with more than 171
    He had 16 seasons with between 21 and 30 doubles.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Its like opening day or something...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell yeah it is. And thus ends the worst period of the year: the wasteland between the Super Bowl and MLB Opening Day.

It's not a coincidence I convinced my boss to hang a TV in my office so I could "check on what the load team is doing" and it just happened to get installed this morning.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It is almost a holiday here in St. Louis when the cards have their first home game. They are opening at home this year. I feel like with their history and stuff they should get the start each year at home but no one listens to me. lol

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running around with donations this morning, and just past noon the Yankee pregame show came on. It's 39 degrees but the sun is shining and John Sterling/Suzyn Waldman are on the radio talking to the Aarons - Boone and Judge. It certainly makes it feel like spring.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm excited to see the pitch clock in effect. I haven't watched any spring training so all I've seen so far is clips from social media.

Also I see teams are already doing shifts by putting the left fielder in shallow right, so the death of the shift was premature. Is this version significantly less effective than the infield shift?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Meh. I haven't see it in action yet but not a fan of the pitch clock. Like did it really save that much time during spring training games. Do we really need to speed up the game?

I think people got too worked up over the shift. I mean did we seriously need to change rules because of it?

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    It saved like 30 minutes.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Double checked and it's more like 23-25 minutes.

And yes we desperately do need to speed up the game. There's no reason for games to go as long as they've become.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Meh. I am guess I am old and feel like it was fine that way it was.

I also hate the DH.

I am not a fan of interleague play.

Get off my lawn

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh. I am guess I am old and feel like it was fine that way it was.

I also hate the DH.

I am not a fan of interleague play.

Get off my lawn
    I’m not an expert on this but I’ve seen people commenting that the slowness of the game over the last 20 years was a departure from how the game was played for its existence before that. Meaning the pitch clock is just getting it back to the way baseball was meant to be played. The slowness was the abnormality. Guys didn’t used to take forever.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind the pitch clock.

As a youngster, I enjoyed games that would often run 2 hours to maybe 2:30. But as games started getting toward the 2:45 mark, complaints started. I recall Billy Martin explaining how to speed up the game - he proposed "Just eliminate the bad calls! When the umpire blows a call, then the manager has to come out and holler about it, that takes up a whole lot of time" Now that most games have been over three hours, something needed to be done.

I think reducing the number of pickoff attempts will be just as big as the pitch clock.

I have never been a fan of the shift, because I never understood why a manager wouldn't just tell his guys to bunt against it.

I have an elderly uncle who schedules his dialysis treatment when the baseball games are on. He looks forward to the long games because its a way to make the time not so long. He's the only one I know who is not in favor of the pitch clock.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brewers called up Joey Wiemer. As a Brewers fan I'm pretty pumped about this. He's supposed to have monster power. And I love seeing the young kids get a chance.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Real kick in the nuts for Oakland sports fans, huh. Warriors, Raiders, and now the A's all saying 'see ya' in the span of just 5 years.

Fuckin ouch.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oakland doesn't deserve the A's. They averaged fewer than 10,000 fans at home last year Baseball is still a form of entertainment that relies on the gate. I have a colleague who lives out in the area, and was talking to him about it. He said there are usually more homeless people camped out just outside the stadium than fans inside.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moneyball is officially a failure.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Oakland doesn't deserve the A's. They averaged fewer than 10,000 fans at home last year Baseball is still a form of entertainment that relies on the gate. I have a colleague who lives out in the area, and was talking to him about it. He said there are usually more homeless people camped out just outside the stadium than fans inside.
    How often have A's management given them a reason to care?

Cruiserweight Champion
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else loving the pitch clock? Games are refreshingly quick

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by InsertItHere View Post
    Anyone else loving the pitch clock? Games are refreshingly quick
    more runs scored, significantly more stolen bases, a quicker paced game, and games a half an hour shorter..

I don't love every single new rule, but I'm not mad at the new rules on the whole.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the new rules so far. Quicker games and more offense is a good thing.

I also am intrigued by the designated rubber rule being tested in the Atlantic League.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    That Drew Maggi at bat was pretty cool..

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy end to a baseball game with a premature celebration cut short on a dropped third strike in this video. Bonkers.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah I saw that and I have seen a couple look at it and make arguments that since catcher put ball in pocket that live ball becomes dead and people are just awarded bases and game continues. Not let the runners keep going type thing. Either way that sucks for the team that lost but the ump did indicate he was not out yet. Just needed to tag him or throw the ball to first.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It ain't over til its over.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I saw that and I have seen a couple look at it and make arguments that since catcher put ball in pocket that live ball becomes dead and people are just awarded bases and game continues. Not let the runners keep going type thing. Either way that sucks for the team that lost but the ump did indicate he was not out yet. Just needed to tag him or throw the ball to first.
    Someone on ESPN or Fox Sports brought up a good point: if the 2nd baseman succeeded and managed to get the ball away from the catcher and tag someone out, would the other team have an argument to say there excess men on the field?

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I mean I would think so. That was just a mess and I think the umps did the best they could considering the situation.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This stuff with Bally is crazy.