User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Football's Coming Out - New Book Release

  1. #1
    Defiance is a four letter
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    word spelt with a finger
    Posts
    29,806
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1048500

    Football's Coming Out - New Book Release

    There's a new book coming out about my friend, teammate and former club Chairman about his life and journey in football.

    I'm in it, though in what context I don't know. All I know is I've been included in the thanks and my name has been changed in the book itself.

    Check it out.

    http://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/sport-...-9780992658564

  2. #2
    Simon
    Guest
    Will get this, nice one.

    How close do you think football is to having a recognisable big name come out? And do you think it would be an issue? We've got a gay guy playing for us and he gets grief about it but only the same way everyone gets the piss taken out of them - obviously it's a much lower level but I can't imagine it would be completely different in professional football, it's still a group of young(ish) lads together in the dressing room.

    What are/were your experiences of being gay in Sunday league? Your team were in the standard FA system rather than a gay-specific league weren't they?

  3. #3
    KIKI MUTEMBE BBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Viking Country
    Posts
    35,664
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    443560
    Robbie Rogers, who plays for LA Galaxy (used to play for Leeds), is openly gay and has received LOTS of abuse this season from fans (mainly hispanic supporters yelling puto at him, although the MLS and clubs are doing what they can to stamp it out but he also was called a derogatory homophobic name by Richard Chaplow (ex-Pompey I think?) last month and he received...a two game ban.

    Still a lot of work to be done. Sadly, I don't think an openly gay footballer in the English football system would last very long.

  4. #4
    83% Insane Rip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    A small farm in North West Durham
    Posts
    22,337
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    508858
    uk
    We had a lad who played for us when I played for Cumbernauld who was advised by the club chairman not to come out as it would cause huge problems for him and the club with the league, that was over 20 years ago and it worries me how little things seem to have changed.

    I'll certainly pick up a copy, you'll have to let me know your code name, or is it Austin Viller?

  5. #5
    Defiance is a four letter
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    word spelt with a finger
    Posts
    29,806
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1048500
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    What are/were your experiences of being gay in Sunday league? Your team were in the standard FA system rather than a gay-specific league weren't they?
    Used to play Sunday League with my brother's team, no problem at all.

    We play in the GNL, which you can probably work out the initials for. Difference between now and then is our team now is half straight, it's now more a gay community team, which is brilliant.

  6. #6
    Defiance is a four letter
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    word spelt with a finger
    Posts
    29,806
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1048500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    I'll certainly pick up a copy, you'll have to let me know your code name, or is it Austin Viller?


    I don't know yet. I'm not expecting my mentions to be historically great, though hopefully getting better through the years.

  7. #7
    Just Normal Men! Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Innocent Men!
    Posts
    23,536
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1565952
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    Robbie Rogers, who plays for LA Galaxy (used to play for Leeds), is openly gay and has received LOTS of abuse this season from fans (mainly hispanic supporters yelling puto at him, although the MLS and clubs are doing what they can to stamp it out but he also was called a derogatory homophobic name by Richard Chaplow (ex-Pompey I think?) last month and he received...a two game ban.

    Still a lot of work to be done. Sadly, I don't think an openly gay footballer in the English football system would last very long.
    Wikthout looking, Chaplow played for WBA and Leeds? Shame he turned out to be a massive cunt.

  8. #8
    Simon
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Used to play Sunday League with my brother's team, no problem at all.

    We play in the GNL, which you can probably work out the initials for. Difference between now and then is our team now is half straight, it's now more a gay community team, which is brilliant.
    Gimp Nipple Lickers. You lor are all disgusting perverts.

    The only thing close to homophobia I've ever heard on a football pitch was one of our players fouling a Brighton Bandits player (think you knew this team?) and saying "it's a man's game"...the Banidts guy stuck a beautiful late tackle on him two minutes later which shut him up.

    Never heard any sexism (we have a few woman refs, who are usually miles than the average man) or racism in Sunday league either, which would probably surprise people. There are plenty of cunts for sure but they seem to steer clear of taboo issues like that. Living in Brighton obviously makes a difference with the homophobia.

  9. #9
    Defiance is a four letter
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    word spelt with a finger
    Posts
    29,806
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1048500
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    The only thing close to homophobia I've ever heard on a football pitch was one of our players fouling a Brighton Bandits player (think you knew this team?) and saying "it's a man's game"...the Banidts guy stuck a beautiful late tackle on him two minutes later which shut him up.


    Yep, that sounds like Brighton.

    I love the lads as I've known them for years and I play football in a similar style, but for new lads on the team it can be a bit of a culture shock to go from playing lots of teams in our league system who play, technical, passing football to playing Brighton who, ummm, don't.

  10. #10
    Simon
    Guest
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...ers-no-problem

    The majority of football fans in Britain would have no issues with an openly gay player at their club, although 8% have said they would stop going to support their club, according to a survey carried out for BBC Radio 5 Live.

    Last week the Football Association chairman Greg Clarke told a Department for Culture, Media and Sport select committee he “would be amazed” if there were not a gay player in the Premier League and felt “ashamed” that to date no one had been confident enough to publicly reveal their sexuality.

    Clarke also believed an openly gay Premier League player would be subjected to “significant abuse” from supporters and he would be cautious about advising a player to come out until homophobic abuse could be stamped out.

    An online poll of more than 4,000 people across England, Wales and Scotland, conducted by the research company ComRes on behalf of 5 Live, found 82% of football fans said they would not have a problem with an openly gay player at their club.

    Eight per cent, though, said they would not watch their team if there was an openly gay player in the side.

    The survey also reported 61% of football fans believe gay players should come out to help others do the same, while 71% feel clubs should do more to educate supporters about homophobia.

    Of the survey sample, 50% said they had heard homophobic abuse at a match, with 51% saying they have heard sexist abuse and 59% replying that they have heard racist abuse.
    8% of football fans find homosexuality so disgusting they would stop watching their team if they had a gay player. What the hell?

  11. #11
    I'm always watching you.. MMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    34,174
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    236457
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...ers-no-problem



    8% of football fans find homosexuality so disgusting they would stop watching their team if they had a gay player. What the hell?
    I think that relates to people in general. 8% are incredibly stupid.

    I have never really seen it as a massive issue, I reckon if a player did come out in the premier league the reaction would be surprising as I don't think most people would give a fuck.

    The main problem will be heat of the moment stuff. Like a gay player puts in an awful tackle and the fans shout all sorts at him in the heat of the moment.

    It sums up modern society though that anybody would give a toss. Its professional football not professional shagging, its not like it effects their ability to do their job at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •