User Tag List

Thread: Expectations 2016-17

Simon

Expectations 2016-17

Probably a good time to do this seeing as the forum is #definitely going to die now that the Arsenal thread has been bumped.

If things go well...

Being realistic...

Worst case scenario...

It's a big season for...

Keep an eye out for this young lad...

Between now and Deadline Day, we need...

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    If things go well... - Champions, cup run.

Being realistic... Promotion

Worst case scenario... Poor start continues, Rafa gets the boot, relegation fight.

It's a big season for... Rafa, Dwight Gayle needs to prove he deserves the 9, Lascalles has to overcome a bad start and show the armband isn't too much for him.

Keep an eye out for this young lad... Jamie Sterry, young defender who could break through this year and Armstrong has a chance to really prove he's as good as people think he could be.

Between now and Deadline Day, we need... A creative midfielder and an experienced target man, I'd like an old warhorse either in midfield or defence as well, just to calm down the youngsters at times.
    Last edited by Rip; August 15th, 2016 at 8:41 AM.

Simon
    If things go well...another run at the title. We've got a talented, young squad that will have learned from the negatives of last season, and we've strengthened the squad in key areas. The big issue will be handling Champions League football alongside the league - there are clearly a few players in the squad that Pochettino doesn't fully trust, which could mean a long season for he core group of first team players, who will be needed for both campaigns. Unless United or City click straight away, there's no reason to think we can't be up there. So yeah - if things go really well, I think we could win the league. But it would have to go fucking well.

Being realistic...probably a slight drop-off from last season; I imagine we'll be in a tough contest for top four with Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea, and would probably have us fourth or fifth. I think we've improved significantly, but for various reasons could see our league position slip - Chelsea can't be as bad again, United and City will both improve massively, Liverpool have no European football to worry about and Arsenal are Arsenal. I would probably lean towards finishing fourth behind United, City and Arsenal.

Worst case scenario...the CL football takes its toll and we're the worst of a strong bunch towards the top of the league - I wouldn't be surprised to see West Ham, Everton and Leicester all having good seasons, so it's feasible that without going completely to shit a good team could finish mid-table. We're more consistent that we've ever been in my lifetime so I can't imagine it being any worse than that, and I'd be very surprised if we finished outside the top six - but it's not impossible that we finished eighth or ninth

It's a big season for...a number of players. The England lot need to shake off the summer - Kane and Alli were both dreadful on Saturday, which isn't a good start. Dembele needs to make up for the end of last season and show that he's added consistency to his game permanently. Janssen has to hit the ground running and show he's an able deputy to Kane. But above all else I think this could be a huge year for Erik Lamela - he's still seen as something of a flop despite having a good season last year, and I reckon this could be the year he really shows his quality.

Keep an eye out for this young lad...Marcus Edwards is going to be given opportunities at some point this year to show how good he can be, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Shayon Harrison and Kyle Walker-Peters have now been promoted to the first team squad, but the one I'm most excited about is Harry Winks, a talented and hard-working central midfielder. The competition is strong in that position but by all accounts he could be pushing ahead of Carroll and Mason as a deputy in the two deeper midfield roles.

Between now and Deadline Day, we need...um...nothing. Which is fucking unheard of. A top-class attacking midfielder to put pressure on Alli and Eriksen, both of whom are a little flaky at times, would be fantastic but it's not a necessity. For the first time in forever, we've got a balanced squad with no blatant weaknesses. Happy days.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If things go well...

We dont get involved in a relegation battle at all and finish in a comfortable mid-table(ish) position.

Being realistic...

Relegation battle.

Worst case scenario...

Relegation.

It's a big season for...

Jermain Defoe. His goals are the only thing that will matter. If he doesnt score many, relegation, if he does, we stay up.

Loads really. Looks like Moyes will play a lot based on yesterday too. Januzaj, Asoro, Watmore again, McNair, Love, Gooch, Pickford...looks like they'll all get a game.

Someone up front to play behind Defoe and take the pressure off him. A left back. A chance-making midfielder, M'Villa.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we allowed to post?

If things go well... we stink the place out for the next few months and Wenger decides he can't bear his subjects muttering about him and jumps ship. He goes and we get someone in who organise and put the team on the front foot and actually shows some ambition.

Being realistic...shit start, followed by a month or two beating lower teams, get through to the cups in Feb and then collapse as usual. Scrape into 4th and Wenger dercrys it a massive achievement for our pub team

Worst case scenario...Wenger signs a new contract and Silent Stan takes even more of a 'dividend for consulting services'. Membership will be in the bin

It's a big season for...Dennis Bergkamp at Ajax. A good year there and he could be in charge of us next year

Keep an eye out for this young lad...Jeff Reine-Adelaide. Until he gets injured by being overplayed.

Between now and Deadline Day, we need... new manager, new board, new chief executive, new owner. Oh you mean on the pitch? Experienced defender and striker minimum but will probably get Johnny bloody Evans

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    If things go well...2nd place, cup winner.

Being realistic...top 6.

Worst case scenario...bottom 6

It's a big season for...Joey Barton

Keep an eye out for this young lad...Josh Windas

Between now and Deadline Day, we need...Centre Half, Striker, Right wing back.
    TAPS AFF!

Simon
    ]If things go well...another run at the title. We've got a talented, young squad that will have learned from the negatives of last season, and we've strengthened the squad in key areas. The big issue will be handling Champions League football alongside the league - there are clearly a few players in the squad that Pochettino doesn't fully trust, which could mean a long season for he core group of first team players, who will be needed for both campaigns. Unless United or City click straight away, there's no reason to think we can't be up there. So yeah - if things go really well, I think we could win the league. But it would have to go fucking well.
    Almost spot on, we just couldn't quite give that extra push to win da ting. CL football was a problem and we'll need to strengthen the bench if we want to compete on more than one front, but we were right up there all year.

Being realistic...probably a slight drop-off from last season; I imagine we'll be in a tough contest for top four with Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea, and would probably have us fourth or fifth. I think we've improved significantly, but for various reasons could see our league position slip - Chelsea can't be as bad again, United and City will both improve massively, Liverpool have no European football to worry about and Arsenal are Arsenal. I would probably lean towards finishing fourth behind United, City and Arsenal.
    My worries were unfounded - Chelsea improved hugely, but United and City didn't, while Arsenal are no longer Arsenal.

Worst case scenario...the CL football takes its toll and we're the worst of a strong bunch towards the top of the league - I wouldn't be surprised to see West Ham, Everton and Leicester all having good seasons, so it's feasible that without going completely to shit a good team could finish mid-table. We're more consistent that we've ever been in my lifetime so I can't imagine it being any worse than that, and I'd be very surprised if we finished outside the top six - but it's not impossible that we finished eighth or ninth
    Jesus. Time for the inferiority complex to die.

It's a big season for...a number of players. The England lot need to shake off the summer - Kane and Alli were both dreadful on Saturday, which isn't a good start. Dembele needs to make up for the end of last season and show that he's added consistency to his game permanently. Janssen has to hit the ground running and show he's an able deputy to Kane. But above all else I think this could be a huge year for Erik Lamela - he's still seen as something of a flop despite having a good season last year, and I reckon this could be the year he really shows his quality.
    Poor old Erik just as he was beginning to show everyone how good he was, 'something' happened and he missed basically the entire season. Still don't really know what's gone on there, the club are saying hip problems but there are a lot of rumours flying about.

Keep an eye out for this young lad...Marcus Edwards is going to be given opportunities at some point this year to show how good he can be, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Shayon Harrison and Kyle Walker-Peters have now been promoted to the first team squad, but the one I'm most excited about is Harry Winks, a talented and hard-working central midfielder. The competition is strong in that position but by all accounts he could be pushing ahead of Carroll and Mason as a deputy in the two deeper midfield roles.
    Edwards I think got one sub appearance all season, Carter-Vickers barely any more than that and neither Harrison nor KWP got a look in...but I was bang on about Winks. England player next season without a doubt.

Between now and Deadline Day, we need...um...nothing. Which is fucking unheard of. A top-class attacking midfielder to put pressure on Alli and Eriksen, both of whom are a little flaky at times, would be fantastic but it's not a necessity. For the first time in forever, we've got a balanced squad with no blatant weaknesses. Happy days.
    Shame the 'top-class attacking midfielder' was Sissoko, but I was right that we didn't need much.

Can't wait to do this thread again in August, I'll try to be more positive

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    If things go well...

We dont get involved in a relegation battle at all and finish in a comfortable mid-table(ish) position.

Being realistic...

Relegation battle.

Worst case scenario...

Relegation.

It's a big season for...

Jermain Defoe. His goals are the only thing that will matter. If he doesnt score many, relegation, if he does, we stay up.

Loads really. Looks like Moyes will play a lot based on yesterday too. Januzaj, Asoro, Watmore again, McNair, Love, Gooch, Pickford...looks like they'll all get a game.

Someone up front to play behind Defoe and take the pressure off him. A left back. A chance-making midfielder, M'Villa.
    I was more of less spot on.

The Rosk
    Oh fuck. You owe me 100 big ones.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do. That'll have to wait until next month.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you want to go double or quits?

The Rosk
    Nope. I want to burn your money, and draw Jermaine Defoe in the ashes.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Are we allowed to post?

If things go well... we stink the place out for the next few months and Wenger decides he can't bear his subjects muttering about him and jumps ship. He goes and we get someone in who organise and put the team on the front foot and actually shows some ambition.

Being realistic...shit start, followed by a month or two beating lower teams, get through to the cups in Feb and then collapse as usual. Scrape into 4th and Wenger dercrys it a massive achievement for our pub team

Worst case scenario...Wenger signs a new contract and Silent Stan takes even more of a 'dividend for consulting services'. Membership will be in the bin

It's a big season for...Dennis Bergkamp at Ajax. A good year there and he could be in charge of us next year

Keep an eye out for this young lad...Jeff Reine-Adelaide. Until he gets injured by being overplayed.

Between now and Deadline Day, we need... new manager, new board, new chief executive, new owner. Oh you mean on the pitch? Experienced defender and striker minimum but will probably get Johnny bloody Evans
    Wow this was almost bang on, except we didn't even get 4th this time.