Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Westworld

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fair enough.

I have a lot of fun watching the show, but I'm not going to try and browbeat someone into enjoying it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm enjoying it as well, but I find myself purging all questions about everything. Everything is shrouded in mystery and there's nothing we can do about it. Rad. But how the hell does old ass Anthony Hopkins manage to go into the park by himself without his staff noticing? They're constantly watching every nook and cranny, but nobody's going to notice their boss waltzing in unannounced? When he gets back wouldn't there be people asking... "Where've you been?" Or wouldn't the watchers ask what he was doing talking to the man in black? It feels like everything and everyone inside the park is being watched, until the plot requires otherwise.

Also, I'm getting tired of the guests talking about the park inside the park and none of the hosts ask what they fuck they're talking about.

I like this show, and I don't want the entire thing fed to me all at once... but this show really does take its time flicking the bread crumbs at your face.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure that they said that the hosts were programmed to ignore anyone making references to the park or the experience.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Maeve, wow.

The sequence from her thought/speech observation through to the giant billboard of her actual life as a vacation ad was exactly the kind of thing I knew I'd want to see from this shows from the first time I read about it. Absolutely lived up to my expectations.

Just, wow.
    Last edited by percussion13; November 8th, 2016 at 8:38 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This show has been a real slow burn but I feel like everything is finally starting to roll with the Arnold influence underpinning everyone's curiosity about what's going on. The meeting between Ford and the Man in Black last week was great and I enjoyed seeing Teddy and Maeve asserting themselves this week (though security must have been having a nap for her to travel so far around the complex). I'm really interested in what kind of world is on the outside of the park and I hope we get a better glimpse of that before the end of the season. Jeffrey Wright has said that episode 7 is a game changer - sounds like a lot of information is revealed which puts the previous episodes into a new perspective.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Very curious now what exactly Delos' management wants with the AI tech. Weaponization? Covert use? Immortality? Endless supply of kinky time?

And Bernard not 'seeing' the door and the aftermath was just fantastic.

Also ... Westworld 2.0 is officially happening

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That line about the door and even his admission in the elevator that human beings confuse him were nice little moments of foreshadowing. The whole scene was played very well. Anthony Hopkins is in his element with this show. I also liked the brief tension when Maeve thought the techs were coming for her at the bar.

So I guess the body being prepared in Ford's secret lab is a Theresa host to cover up her death? And with all the theories about the show jumping around in time, the previous chats between Bernard and Dolores are now a lot more interesting.
    Last edited by Chris; November 16th, 2016 at 5:36 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still need to start watching this show and plan to start soon

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Jeffrey Wright has said that episode 7 is a game changer - sounds like a lot of information is revealed which puts the previous episodes into a new perspective.
    He did not lie. This series is great, the slow burn is awesome; can't wait to see what the final 3 episodes have for us.

Love me some Tessa Thompson, Thandie Newton also pretty amazing.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I posted about my discontent with this show, I've watched the 3 most recent episodes and I'm starting to come around. The last 3 episodes were all pretty great. Hopkins is killing it and the story lines are coming together.

My one concern is that the only "intrigue" on the show will become "who's a robot?! Tune in next week to find out!" Kind of like the Battlestar Glactica remake. Started off cool as fuck, but went down hill fast when all it ended up being was the WHO'S THE CYLON?! show.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Does anyone think we might see other worlds in future seasons like Medieval World and Roman World like there was in the movie? It's just the gang that approached MIB and Teddy at the end of the most recent episode were carrying swords, and they look totally out of place.

The woman that Teddy and MIB discover and betrays them at the end of the episode is the same woman that William met when he first arrived at Westworld in episode 2. MIB says something along the lines of "You're still here? I thought they retired you lot." So that throws more momentum behind the theory that William could be a young MIB.

I don't think Maeve will get out alive. The fact that she cut MIB before makes me wonder why she wasn't instantly decommissioned after that. Someone definitely wants her to think that she wants to escape, but it could just be the way she's been coded. The same way Clementine's code was poorly written. The two guys that are helping Maeve have to be Hosts as well, there is no way they would help her out as much as they are. The way Maeve now has control over other hosts is how she's been able to control the two Butchers.

I also really want to know if Westworld is based on a futuristic earth or somewhere else.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    Since I posted about my discontent with this show, I've watched the 3 most recent episodes and I'm starting to come around. The last 3 episodes were all pretty great. Hopkins is killing it and the story lines are coming together.

My one concern is that the only "intrigue" on the show will become "who's a robot?! Tune in next week to find out!" Kind of like the Battlestar Glactica remake. Started off cool as fuck, but went down hill fast when all it ended up being was the WHO'S THE CYLON?! show.
    Glad you're enjoying it.

Yeah, I worry about the over reliance on the "who's a robot?! angle. The show runners have five seasons outlined, though, so hopefully they won't have to resort to thatv kind of gimmicky storytelling.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping that they don't need to rely on that angle, bar a couple of other big revelations down the line. The idea of the hosts remembering how they've been abused and rightly being pissed at their masters is meaty enough and Bernard was a necessary reveal at this stage to explain how Ford has managed to maintain such power within the park.

Getting a bit more of MIB's background was interesting, as was Teddy asserting himself. I'm really enjoying Maeve's story and watching her briefly run the show was fun. MIB/Teddy and William/Delores both being in jeopardy at the end was a good cliffhanger, even if the episode didn't match the heights of last week. I'm glad I stuck with the show though - I definitely wasn't feeling it in the first few episodes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    This week's episode was the best episode so far.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep it was a very strong episode. Loved seeing Maeve so in control of Bernard in the beginning and his showdown with Ford was great. They're certainly not shying away from explaining the mysteries they've set up. Next week's 90 minute episode should be good. I read an interview with Jonathan Nolan where he said he wants each season to have its own distinct theme and questions which are ultimately answered. But I'll be a bit disappointed if all of the fan theories come true. I don't think the Arnold reveal landed as hard as they would have liked, given that people have been guessing it for weeks.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still going to watch but, that uh, that was my favorite character and the one whose journey I was most attached to.

So, this is about to be a tougher watch.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    You don't think he can/will return?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's a work. He faked it while ford did the heel walk out.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    You don't think he can/will return?
    He had goddamn better.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    There have been a bunch of articles about this but I wonder if we really are spoiling ourselves with all the investigations people do about shows. Westworld does seem like it's meant to get us to find out answers on our own and with the rise of things like Reddit and the many podcasts that are out there these days we are finding out the answers through groupthink/really attentive individuals. I think it does slightly lessen the feeling of the show. I mean the whole reveals around Bernard people have strongly theorized since episode 3. The man in black being William is highly likely to be true and that's one twist that people have been talking about since he debuted as well. A part of me wishes I could just avoid the theories online. But at the same time I enjoy them. Sorry this is a bit of a ramble that really went nowhere.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the most part, if I want to avoid that kind of shit then it's generally not too hard for me.

I get the temptaion. I do. I ruined episode II for myself (yes episode II can be even worse) back in the day by reading a leaked script.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Some quick hitters from a most maddening (in a good, good way) finale ...

Really enjoyed how much significance that 'the maze wasn't meant for you' was supposed to have had all along, and on not only TMiB but us as viewers as well.

Wish we could see a bit more detailed chronological timeline of how the narratives work in concert after seeing the Teddy/Dolores ending that Ford staged for the board.

Absolutely adored seeing the fruition of the pyramid/maze as Dolores literally comes to hear and know her'self' for the first time. The true birth of AI consciousness that the premise always had coming.

Does Logan's sister/William's wife not care that Logan just rode off naked into the Westworld wilderness to meet his end?

What about the 20 or so years we never see of William/MiB ... is this just implied more of the same of what we've witnessed so far?

The Maeve/Hector/Armistice breakout was just incredible. Thoroughly gangster comeuppance.

Great to see that beyond the callous tyrant persona we've watched all along that Ford has actually been toiling away 'offcamera' trying to finish Arnold's plan and free the hosts. Less malevolent God and more benevolent Moses.

The final roll reversal for Dolores/Maeve was outstanding. This was a build and payoff that couldn't have really been fan-theorized and spoiled and it paid off wonderfully.

Evan Rachel Wood, Jeffrey Wright, and Thandie Newton deserve some serious hardware for their performances all season. Remarkable work here all around.

F*ck*ng Samurai World for season two ... yes, please and thank you.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    And how could I forget ... Felix doing the robot dance pondering his existence and Maeve's reaction ... in stitches-level funny.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This show has captivated me in ways that no other show I've watched has been able to do......not even GoT.

p.s. I'm not saying this show is better than GoT, That has yet to be decided but It's captivated me in ways GoT hasn't and it's only the 1st season. lol

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great finale.

I gets my Bernard back, Ford turns out to be operating on a whole other level and William of course turns out to be who we thought he was after it became clear Dolores was bouncing between memories of the past and her place in the present.

Felix needs a bigger part next year.

This show is a mind fuck wrapped in an enigma buried deep in a maze.

And the maze is not for us.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Can someone refresh my memory about the story MIB told Teddy about coming into the park to kill a woman and her child to see if he was really capable of such a brutal act?

We've only seen Maeve's flashback of the story and from what we saw this week, I was wondering if it's possible that Charlotte is MIB's daughter?

The way they spoke to each other last week was familiar, and she didn't seem scared/intimidated by him like most other people are. There was also that shot this week where he walks past her but they both just miss each other by a second or two.

I guess that when it came to killing Maeve and her daughter MIB hesitated because Maeve's daughter reminded him of his own daughter, and that's what gave Maeve the chance to slash MIB's face, which then led to her narrative being changed.

Basically, I think Maeve when she discovers what has happened to her daughter she will get revenge by potentially murdering Charlotte or Charlotte is the one that has reprogrammed Maeve and Maeve might think that Charlotte is actually her daughter.

Also do we think that the fact Maeve decided to get off the train at the end of the episode means she went against her programming to escape?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    Can someone refresh my memory about the story MIB told Teddy about coming into the park to kill a woman and her child to see if he was really capable of such a brutal act?

We've only seen Maeve's flashback of the story and from what we saw this week, I was wondering if it's possible that Charlotte is MIB's daughter?

The way they spoke to each other last week was familiar, and she didn't seem scared/intimidated by him like most other people are. There was also that shot this week where he walks past her but they both just miss each other by a second or two.

I guess that when it came to killing Maeve and her daughter MIB hesitated because Maeve's daughter reminded him of his own daughter, and that's what gave Maeve the chance to slash MIB's face, which then led to her narrative being changed.

Basically, I think Maeve when she discovers what has happened to her daughter she will get revenge by potentially murdering Charlotte or Charlotte is the one that has reprogrammed Maeve and Maeve might think that Charlotte is actually her daughter.
    Idk man, unless he's got more than one daughter MiB says at one point that his is named Emily. And unless he's got another babymaker he'd still have seemingly been married to Logan's sister, who wouldn't mesh well with him to make a Charlotte-looking baby. He also seemed completely the opposite of concerned that his daughter was in a space about to be consumed by vengeful murderbots.

And while nothing would surprise me too much more in this show, I'm kind of up to my ears in twists and hoping that next season is much more about getting to know these characters as they deal with a world that's much more fundamentally settled now.

Also do we think that the fact Maeve decided to get off the train at the end of the episode means she went against her programming to escape?
    I believe so. The other idea floating around is that she's acting on the overriding Ford narrative, but with the way she clearly paused reflectively on the mother/daughter on the train it appears she had just enough kick to bypass her loop and make a rare legit decision here. Hope that's actually the case anyway. Would lead her closer to finding her own maze center, as the theory goes.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.google.com/amp/variety.c...201933825/amp/

Fuck.

No season two untill 2018.

Fuck fuck.

Fucking fuck.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was a great finale - there's a real confidence in the writing about all of the themes and ethics in the show. We're so far beyond a conventional conflict between man and machine. The Man in Black revelation had been predicted, but I liked how they juxtaposed his search for meaning with Delores finally meeting herself. Similarly, Delores finally took control whereas it seemed as if Maeve ended up being trapped by her code. Evan Rachel Woods was a tour de force in the episode - I loved seeing her beat the shit out of MIB and they made her truly tragic. Ford's real motive, despite how he believes that cruelty is the key, was a nice twist. I hope we only see him again in flashback form, if at all, as I think his story is nicely wrapped up. Maeve and co shooting their way out of the complex was great fun. I'm surprised we didn't check in on Elsie and Stubbs, as I assume both are still alive. The glimpse of Samurai World was fantastic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Those last moments were chilling. The look on William's face was gold.

I don't think Maeve is trapped in her own code. She chose to return to the park of her own volition.

Hopefully the show returns in early 2018 at least. Apparently they start shooting this summer.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they just want to quietly slide it into the GoT spot.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    I don't think Maeve is trapped in her own code. She chose to return to the park of her own volition.
    Maybe not trapped per se, but they certainly gave the impression that Ford had pushed her into her uprising just as he was nudging Delores towards consciousness all this time. It's implied that he altered her code despite Maeve's insistence that she's in control. Ford doesn't seem surprised in the slightest to see Bernard online again, and perhaps banked on Maeve getting him fixed - and this reappearance conveniently helped Ford to give Delores the final push towards talking to herself rather than Arnold. Maeve receives the specific location of her fictional daughter just before she attempts to leave the park. She appears to make a choice at the end, but I figured that whatever she finds in season 2 won't bode well and it'll be the "suffering" she needs to reach the same level as Delores - where she really will be in control.

I've been thinking about this episode more today and it's fantastic how they brought everything full circle. Arnold was the one fighting against the possibility of the hosts being rolled back and denied their full potential; when Charlotte threatened to do the same, Ford adopted Arnold's role and sought to protect what he had created. He sacrificed himself just like Arnold, except he got Delores to the bicameral stage. When they revealed MIB as being part of Delos a few episodes ago, it seemed to solidify his role as an external force battling against Ford. Yet he has been a chess piece this whole time. Delores wasn't a weapon used to stop him. His bitterness at seeing her returning to her loop after he finally found her put him on the path which, decades later, would help deliver the trauma that Delores needed to improvise (and kick his ass). I've even read a theory about how Ford meeting with Delores in a state of undress earlier in the season makes sense, as he likely changed her clothes to those she wore during her adventures with young William; so the fluctuating wardrobe maybe wasn't just a way to play around with the audience's sense of the timeframe, but also a way of getting under MIB's skin when he finally confronts her about the past and ultimately pushes her over the edge.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think we're headed towards Maeve vs. Dolores with Maeve playing the role of the host that sympathizes with humans. Dolores thinks humans are complete scum at this point. I see a potential conflict there.

On another note, how fucking cool is Armistice?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    On another note, how fucking cool is Armistice?
    If I took a vacay in Westworld I'd be hard pressed not want to spend the whole thing with her.

Her entire run through the compound felt like it was written right out of my head in terms of how I would've wanted to see her react to it. 'The gods are pussies..'

And just in case anyone missed the aftercredits bit with her, 'cause I know I skipped over it the first go round ...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    Westworld: 7 Likeliest Theories About Season 2

THEORY 4: Maeve Has Broken Free of Her Loop

With the Hosts claiming their awareness a key element of the finale, it wasn't fully clear whether certain characters broke free of their narrative loops. It was pretty obvious Dolores realizing the voice in her head was her own meant she is now in control of her actions, but is Maeve? People were quick to speculate that, because her programming said "Mainland Infiltration," Maeve's decision to go back to find her daughter proved she had achieved consciousness -- and the showrunners have already confirmed it.

"What we understand in the moment is it’s the first real decision she's made all season. Which is, she's not going to fulfill the script she's been given, which is to take this train wherever it's going, and do whatever else she's programmed to do," co-showrunner Jonathan Nolan told Vulture. "We're no longer in programmatic or prescribed behaviors. She's improvising, and we're right there with her."
    So there's that..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched this whole in the past 2 days. Absolutely loved it, and ashamed to say I didn't get that William was MIB until about 3 minutes before the actual reveal.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    To be fair, I'm sure you enjoyed it more than those of us who either theorized it or (like me) read someone else's theory of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I liked it although it was really sad. I'm a hopeless romantic at heart.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 8 episodes in, 2 to go. It's been a slow watch for me. The show didn't quite grab me until the last few episodes. The twist at the end of episode 7 was the first time I was really wowed by the show, and I hope the season ends strongly.

I'll probably be back in here in a few days with more thoughts and questions (there's a lot that confuses me lol).

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I just finished the finale about 10 seconds ago, and what a fucking finale that was. Incredible episode of television that paid off on all of the winding plotlines of the season. My only gripe was that the machine gun fights were pretty bad with the humans putting up almost no fight at all. I swear they barely even got 10 bullets off at the robots. They had already killed about 30 people and the guards were still saying "stop right there! put your hands up!"

As a whole I didn't find the season super compelling until the finale. I was getting bored through a lot of it and didn't really care about the maze. The Bernard reveal and William reveal were both awesome moments though and the latter was when everything started to come together.

I have some questions which may be still unknown or may be things I just missed... I haven't read anything about this show so forgive me if some of these are dumb:

How do they stop people from dying in the park? It looked like bullets had no effect on humans even when they were shot at (until the final scene). At first I thought the park was virtual reality and didn't realize it was a real place until somewhere in the middle of the season.

How did Maeve blackmail those 2 dorky repair guys (the Asian guy and the douchey beard guy)? I forget how she did that but that Asian guy joined Team Robot WAY too hard. Like wtf man, how are you just gonna let robots kill everyone you work with? At some point you gotta just tell your supervisor and shut that shit down instead of causing the robot takeover of the world. And beard-guy was such a shallow douche of a character. That said, Maeve is the tits and her arc was great.

Wouldn't people have recognized Arnold/Bernard through photos and stuff?

Cheers for any answers.
    Last edited by Fro; January 19th, 2017 at 11:27 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Ok I just finished the finale about 10 seconds ago, and what fucking finale that was. Incredible episode of television that paid off on all of the winding plotlines of the season. My only gripe was that the machine gun fights were pretty bad with the humans putting up almost no fight at all. I swear they barely even got 10 bullets off at the robots. They had already killed about 30 people and the guards were still saying "stop right there! put your hands up!"

As a whole I didn't find the season super compelling until the finale. I was getting bored through a lot of it and didn't really care about the maze. The Bernard reveal and William reveal were both awesome moments though and the latter was when everything started to come together.

I have some questions which may be still unknown or may be things I just missed... I haven't read anything about this show so forgive me if some of these are dumb:

How do they stop people from dying in the park? It looked like bullets had no effect on humans even when they were shot at (until the final scene). At first I thought the park was virtual reality and didn't realize it was a real place until somewhere in the middle of the season.

How did Maeve blackmail those 2 dorky repair guys (the Asian guy and the douchey beard guy)? I forget how she did that but that Asian guy joined Team Robot WAY too hard. Like wtf man, how are you just gonna let robots kill everyone you work with? At some point you gotta just tell your supervisor and shut that shit down instead of causing the robot takeover of the world. And beard-guy was such a shallow douche of a character. That said, Maeve is the tits and her arc was great.

Wouldn't people have recognized Arnold/Bernard through photos and stuff?

Cheers for any answers.
    - I always took it that the security had never seen the hosts completely ignore commands in such a fashion and were partly dumbfounded and partly still just intuitively yelling commands out of habit. Also, and this may just be me reaching, but I sort of imagined them akin to the cops in Demolition Man. Yes their tech is great in the future but they've really had just about zero actual incidents to prepare to deal with such a ridiculous scene. I know, reaching here, but it made the whole thing that much more enjoyable for me.

- Jonathon Nolan related the ammunition in the park to real life simunition used by the military. Of course the ones used by Delos would be more advanced and also likely have built in recognition or some such nonsense for damaging hosts versus guests. Kind of hard to imagine fully, but we're talking about a park with fully lifelike soon to be sentient human replicas. So, it can stretch a little I think.

- I believe Felix just naturally was blown away by Maeve and really wanted to see this thing through. He showed this some with his sentiment toward his programmed bird, and the fact that their job as butcher/repair men probably really is a low level thing to do in this world, so kind of fuck it this was infinitely more interesting. Sylvester I just took as kind of an oaf that was easy to blackmail and the one time he tried to stand up to her she sat him down rather soundly.

- Nobody currently at the park was around in Arnold's time and it was mentioned that Delos had essentially scrubbed his memory from all company records. That one photo was just a Ford momento.

I think on the whole, and given how many moving parts their were and with such a far out show premise, they did a pretty bang up job keeping it all in moving order, even if a few may need any extra consideration.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Felix is a bitch and I hate him for what he did. Idk how he was just going along with everything when they started killing people. Well I guess by that point he was in over his head but he never turned on Maeve and kept helping her which is bullshit.

Also the acting is top notch. I loved Anthony Hopkins in this. Some brilliant turns for his character, the end of the finale of course being the biggest.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It could have used more interpretive dance at the end.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Damn, I got chills when I realized what song was being played on the piano. I'm fucking hyped.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    goosebumps

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm stoked. Is that The Man in Black's hat?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pfft. I thought this thread was called Waterworld. I wanna talk about Waterworld.

You know what movie isn't half bad? Waterworld.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    No one is stopping you from making a Waterworks thread my friend.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Animal Robots should be fun. I wonder if the MIB died at some point and is now a robot.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    What if was *suspenseful music* a robot all along!?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched all of season 1 and even discussed it in this thread but I have a very vague recollection of what happened. It was all so confusing. I remember the finale was great but the bulk of the season dragged a little long. I will for sure need a recap video to remind me of what went down.

I remember those numbskull scientists who let the black robot lady boss them around.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    One of the scientists genuinely sympathized with Maeve. The other guy just knew Maeve would kill him unless he did what she said.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND View Post
    Animal Robots should be fun. I wonder if the MIB died at some point and is now a robot.
    I think the animals were always robots.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Man in Black is killed and brought back as a host. It would be a nice nod to the original Man in Black in the film.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Brought back as a host by who?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Brought back as a host by who?
    I don't know. The story would have to advance quite a bit for it to make sense.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    That's fair. Guess I have a hesitance towards those ideas just being tossed around as I fear this show breaking down into a who's what human/host game.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That's fair. Guess I have a hesitance towards those ideas just being tossed around as I fear this show breaking down into a who's what human/host game.
    Yeah, I totally agree. I only mention bringing back The Man in Black back as a host because I think it might make a cool homage to the film.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Fucking hell.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    That looks outstanding.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    secret trailer hidden in the binary code in the above trailer:

http://www.delosincorporated.com/freedom/

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Pretty good breakdown of the full-length trailer.

Minus mixing up the blonde host sleeping with Logan for Delores.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I'm gonna rewatch Season One.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    So the creators apparently tired of how reddit figured out all the twists last season said they would release a video with all the spoilers for the season so that theories can be made and people who wanted spoilers could see them

This was their video

PS there aren't actually any spoilers and don't let the length dissuade you.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Felt very much a 'gangs all back' kind of reorientation given the long layoff from last season, which is to be expected. But also a good combination of carrying forward with some left upon hanging threads from last season with a healthy dose of seed planting for this new one. All in all a quality and considerate, if not fully barnburning, season 2 kickoff.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely did the trick. Like you said, it wasn't super intense as far as crazy twists or anything like that, but I don't think that's what they were going for. More of showing you the main players involved this time and poking at the new story threads to follow. I'm not expecting anything particularly mind-blowing until at least episode 3. But then again, Season 1 was the same way. But there were some awesome moments in this episode.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dolores is cold blooded.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what happens when you're an AI who's been lied to, murdered, raped, and probably everything far worse over and over and over again and only remember it all after decades of existence.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Just a few bullet point things to consider heading into the new season after just the first episode..

- Who are the Delos people Charlotte is communicating with, what exactly are they after
    - What's up with Young Robert host's programming of a new game for William
    - Where is the tiger from, how did it get there
    - Does Maeve have some kind of mesh networking control over other hosts now
    - What is the timeline of the opening convo between Bernard and Delores

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Whew, the amount of info released in ep 2 is kind of staggering. Both what we learned and what was aimed to come.

Loved watching 'the demonstration'.

Loved the Maeve/Dolores faceoff.

Really looking forward to James Delos and young William's ulterior motives for Westworld to reveal.

Robert still fucking with current William.

Theories also abound about the 'weapon', with a good one in particular that ties together the James Delos/young William scheme and the events of the Futureworld story.

This show is never lacking in things to chew on.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    That episode was BIG.

Going to spoiler the question to be safe:

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew, the amount of info released in ep 2 is kind of staggering. Both what we learned and what was aimed to come.

Loved watching 'the demonstration'.

Loved the Maeve/Dolores faceoff.

Really looking forward to James Delos and young William's ulterior motives for Westworld to reveal.

Robert still fucking with current William.

Theories also abound about the 'weapon', with a good one in particular that ties together the James Delos/young William scheme and the events of the Futureworld story.

This show is never lacking in things to chew on.
    Robert fucking with William through his creations is so brilliant.

And yeah they're just giving us a Toys R Us super toy run of cool moments and revelations in the first two eps. Makes me think things are going to slow down a lot next week. I need time to just dwell on these happenings for a little while before they burn up anymore plot. It's just too good.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    That episode was BIG.

Going to spoiler the question to be safe:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I fell asleep halfway through. Was bored out of my skull.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    It's not for everyone. Lot of moving parts and narrative build with no orcs or zombies.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You probably enjoyed reading War & Peace.

If this show doesn't find it's footing again it won't make it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you found a generic infodump compelling. Its right in line with your gimmick here as the town bore.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Didn't think it was all that generic. And I'm hardly the only person, critics and fans alike, who found it compelling. Kinda tells me it's footing is fine.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Also kinda bizarre that you of all people would try and accuse and disparage anyone else of gimmickry.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think it's been great so far. Lots of intrigue and directions they can go which keeps me interested

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    GBF is well off base here very good last episode.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think this episode was less entertaining than the last one, but getting all the backstory on the Delos company taking over the park was not only intriguing, but also sets a lot of things up. I also loved seeing the evolution of William directly after his first foray into Westworld as opposed to the worn down old man looking for his last hurrah after he's effectively burned all of his relationships to the ground.

I expect by the end of Episode 4, some crazy shit is gonna go down.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This week's episode felt a little slower, but it had the job of unloading a ton of backstory and jumping around. I think I'm going to have to rewatch each episode to keep on top of the various timelines.

The demonstration for Logan was great and the theme of Westworld gathering information on guests is very fitting with the real-world problem of data privacy. Dolores and Maeve's conversation was just enough to whet the appetite for a future confrontation.

I genuinely thought that was Tricia Helfer (Number Six from Battlestar Galactica) when we saw a shot of a blonde from behind at the party.

I absolutely love the score so far. I haven't watched the first series since it aired, so I can't remember much beyond the eerie and ominous themes, but these past two episodes have featured some lovely music in the background.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Dolores and Maeve's roles become competitive then I know whose side I'm on.

One was guided, instructed, pushed towards consciousness. Towards the truth.

The other just up and TOOK it right out of the hands of her masters.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    I absolutely love the score so far. I haven't watched the first series since it aired, so I can't remember much beyond the eerie and ominous themes, but these past two episodes have featured some lovely music in the background.
    You definitely have to go back and appreciate the score. They've done marvelous renditions of Black Hole Sun and Back to Black, among others. Same composer as Game of Thrones, but very different and unique.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    The cover of Radiohead's Motion Picture Soundtrack used in this scene..

spoilered in case whomever hasn't seen the first season

..is pretty fuckin epic, imo.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    Love it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    The Raj!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some musings on this week's episode:

- Great to see more elements of the other parks.

- Very interesting that Maeve couldn't control the Ghost Nation hosts. I wonder if they'll remain generic other-worldly characters or whether they'll start to grow now that the rebellion is kicking off.

- Maeve's story is still the most compelling for me. I really liked the scene where Lee is aghast that she and Hector have developed feelings for each other.

- Amazing to see Armistice back and kicking ass. And zombified Clementine is pretty terrifying.

- It says a lot that I didn't even notice that MIB was absent until I read a review. There's a ton going on so far this season and I thought the three-pronged focus in this episode (with the new guest from the Raj book-ending things) was a good way of balancing the stories. Still going to need a chart or something to keep track of the time jumps.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm expecting a very Ed Harris heavy episode next week.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    - Very interesting that Maeve couldn't control the Ghost Nation hosts. I wonder if they'll remain generic other-worldly characters or whether they'll start to grow now that the rebellion is kicking off.
    Weren't they unable to be controlled by that one dude who worked for the park too? Before the hosts became self aware for lack of a better term? I imagine there will be significance to that... curious as to what it will be.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Some musings on this week's episode:

- Great to see more elements of the other parks.

- Maeve's story is still the most compelling for me. I really liked the scene where Lee is aghast that she and Hector have developed feelings for each other.

- Amazing to see Armistice back and kicking ass. And zombified Clementine is pretty terrifying.

- It says a lot that I didn't even notice that MIB was absent until I read a review. There's a ton going on so far this season and I thought the three-pronged focus in this episode (with the new guest from the Raj book-ending things) was a good way of balancing the stories. Still going to need a chart or something to keep track of the time jumps.
    - Thought maybe the mesh network has limitations on how many hosts it can control in proximity to one another. Then I read an interesting theory being kicked around that has to do with Elsie still hanging around somewhere having perhaps reprogrammed the ghost nation to help her get some control of the park back in bringing park employees to safety. This could be why Stubbs was found unharmed after last being seen surrounded by ghost nation, why they were so concerned with taking only Lee during the encounter, and why our new friend from the raj will go unharmed heading into next week as well. Or it's way off base, who the fuck nows.

This vid of what the ghost nation guy said was pretty good though ... https://streamable.com/5btgw

- Especially liked seeing the connecting edges of one park to the next. The underlying structure to the fantasy was very grounding to see.

- Couldn't agree more about the Maeve/Hector/Lee love discussion scene. Read it being criticized elsewhere and couldn't understand it. That was the very meat and potatoes kind of consideration as to why ALL OF THIS is happening.

- Really enjoyed seeing Dolores react to her father's 'breakdown'. It was as though she was watching a loved one in the throws of alzheimer's, from a robo perspective.

- Seeing a different guest we're not accustomed to being attacked by a host we're not accustomed to I thought gave a renewed and much appreciated sense of being trapped and threatened by out of control animatronics that hasn't been felt since much earlier in the show having come to see all of these characters for their developed selves.

- Interested in the next interaction between Dolores and Teddy after Teddy refused her command to make a decision of his own, and especially if that interaction is a continuation of that conscious disagreement.

- Dying to know what's in Peter Abernathy's head. Haven't heard a theory yet that so far sounds satisfying enough.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole episode for me came down to the Dolores/Teddy thing at the end.

- Will Dolores be upset with him if he isn't her slave?
    Shouldn't she respect his free will?

- Was it free will? Or just Teddy reverting to his basic programming of doing the right thing?

- Unlikely but could Teddy have an ulterior motive? Is he no longer on Dolores's side after she killed the ones she made a deal with and used them as bait?

And JEEZ Dolores!

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    @Percussion that theory on the ghost nation would be awesome if true!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great episode this week. Maybe one of their best ever. Another big dump of information, but some answers and definitely helped by the fact that they focused on a smaller number of threads and weaved them together. Lisa Joy did a terrific job directing this episode.

-----------------------------------------------------

- The Delos scenes were fantastic. I could listen to Peter Mullan growling swear words all day. Much like we had the door moment in season 1 as the clue that Bernard was a host, I'd love for someone else to be revealed as a human-hybrid by having a sudden "cognitive plateau". I know that's extremely unlikely, as a successful human-hybrid wouldn't have that problem.

- What an arc for MIB - he starts the episode as a Ford-like creator, consumed with perfecting his cause. By the end, thanks to Jim's repeated plateaus and the real-life trauma that William has suffered, he sees himself as the personification of death. And yet he pivots towards the light again by helping the captives. He's been abusing the hosts for so long, but can he empathise with them now that the stakes are real? I have no idea what he's searching for, and yet it's interesting that he's briefly distracted from that goal.

- So MIB's daughter has been hanging around the park long enough to learn the ghost language. What's been her agenda all this time? After everything that's happened, can we even trust that she's human? Ford recommends looking backwards and in the very next scene, MIB's daughter catches up to him....Also the music that played as they rode across the plains before she showed up was lovely.

- Elsie's return was so welcome. I forgot how much of a surrogate she was for the audience. I really didn't want her to go in to the lab and she's not out of the woods yet considering Bernard continues to jump from one timeframe to another. And his promise not to hurt her wasn't exactly convincing, even before the flashback of his murderous rampage.

- It seems simplistic or too straightforward for this show to bring back Ford via the second control unit. Maybe that's the case, but I feel like there has to be another twist. My immediate thought is the resurrection of Arnold. But if Ford is due a return, perhaps he can't be sustained in a single body (as found with James) and so his consciousness is having to bounce around the hosts? Though if the technology for the hybrid has been perfected while poor James was left to rot, I read a lovely idea that Ford prepared a body of young William to really turn the screw on old William. You really fall down the rabbit hole reading up on people's theories about this show.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Not much else to add to the praise for Lisa Joy's work here, because I'm simply in complete agreement. Stunner of an episode.

- Still something very much in control of the Ghost Nation's considerate approach to the chaos in the park. Also still not sure, as the Elsie theory cleary isn't the answer.
    - Seeing the Chinese railroad workers turn the tables on their overseers was terrific.
    - Joy's work with the time jumpery was so seamless in this episode. It's been a handful at times keeping up, but she played Bernard's memory dilema and the shrinking age gap between the two William's brilliantly.
    - Guessing Ford's final 'game' is an attempt to get the hosts free of the park. The maze was about setting in motion their awakening to the nature of their reality and their own consciousness, and the door is now setting their path to enter the real world. I kinda think and kinda hope anyway.
    - Am I crazy or has there ever been much actually delved into just what is at the heart of the animosity between William and Ford?
    - How kickas was TMiB's breakout from the confederados? He's been essentially training for decades at how to handle himself in these scenarios, and he'd finally had more than enough of Major Craddock's bullshit with the stakes being jacked all the way up. Grizzled bad motherfucker.
    - Speaking of which, how good has Jonathan Tucker been as Major Craddock? Great arrogant son of a bitch foil up to this point.
    - Loved the horror movie motif when we found left-for-deterioration-hell robo-James Delos. Only wish he'd been reacting with some 'cognitive plateau'ing for a more eery sense of discomfort. Maybe a narrative reason he wasn't?
    - Thought as the episode was playing out that William's 'greatest mistake' that he was on a mission to destroy was the robo-Jim Delos he'd left behind. But with that having been taken care of by Team Bernard/Elsie I'm not so sure now.
    - Who the fuck is the last control unit ... Interesting theory's been floated on reddit, I'll let anyone interested read for themselves. link

Relentlessly good shit, this show.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I enjoyed this week much more. Some good commentary above. Still a bit overstylized for my taste. Id prefer a little more meat and a little less production here. The stutters and time loops are a bit plodding.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The last episode might be the best of the series so far.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Play with Fire has been in my head for about 48 straight hours now.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn! Dolores.