User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Carpenter returns to Halloween

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well I mean when you think you're getting a Halloween film but instead get a Rob Zombie film featuring Michael Myers, it sucks!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That wasn't even Michael Myers though. He's supposed to be evil on two legs... an inhuman force that simply will not die. Zombie thought it would be cool just to make him a psychopath. It would be like remaking Jason Voorhees as a nice guy turned emotional wrecking ball because his mom died.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah man, I like Halloween, I like the Devil's Rejects, but I don't like them squished into one.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Michael Myers was human until they later explained he wasn't in Curse of Michael Myers which was erased when H20 came out?

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to be honest. I thought Devil's Rejects was cool. But House of 1,000 Corpses, imo, is one of the best horror movies of all time and I think had Rob been able to recapture that magic, he would have delivered on Halloween. Even that one Salem movie he did was pretty fucking cool. Just not as cool as House.

The 1 thing that I did not like about Devil's Rejects was the soundtrack. All that cliche 70's rock and such, I would have preferred him doing the soundtrack himself like on House.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom_Axe View Post
    I miss USA's Up All Night and their late night Friday the 13th marathons. Sure they’d be censored, but it was still a lot of fun.

Halloween, Halloween II, and H20 are like a complete trilogy for me, and that’s the only ones I watch. Part 4 and 5 I enjoy just not my favorites.
    USA Up All Night was my teacher of all things B-movie.

AMC are pretty awesome when it comes to Halloween movies. I like when they'll dedicate an entire week to Freddy or Jason. I think last year was the first time I had seen Nightmare 2-Freddy's Dead on anything outside of Chiller since probably the Up All Night Days.

TNT's Monster Vision can't be forgotten either.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Is Elm Street 2 the one with the schoolbus at the beginning? If so, that's on Hulu

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Monster Among Posters View Post
    Is Elm Street 2 the one with the schoolbus at the beginning? If so, that's on Hulu
    Yep. It's whack. Not as whack as Jason v. Freddy but still whack.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    I thought Michael Myers was human until they later explained he wasn't in Curse of Michael Myers which was erased when H20 came out?
    It's been many years but I watched the series beginning to end and it jumped the shark many times. The story got convoluted and foggy which was a big turn-off. I'm sure they've retconned plenty of silliness.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought it was weird how Zombie cast the fine Danielle Harris in the remake as Annie Brackett.

Speaking of Annie Brackett, the real actress who plays her goes by Nancy Loomis for a stage name which we all know is the name of Michael's doctor in the Halloween movies. I did not know she used that last name. Crazy.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Yep. It's whack. Not as whack as Jason v. Freddy but still whack.
    Yeah, but think back 15 years, when Freddy vs. Jason was getting ready to come out. Man my anticipation level was and has never been higher than it was for that movie. And I really enjoyed it the first time I saw it. Repeated viewings show that the movie is in fact awful. But I'll always look back on it fondly for the anticipation.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A group of friends and I binged through just about all the Freddy and Jason movies in a big-ass marathon before we went and saw Freddy vs. Jason. I remember liking the movie just fine at the time but having seen it again, it is definitely bad but it's still pretty goddamn fun regardless.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    Yeah... I think Curse was ignored. I mean Laurie's daughter was impaled and grounded into fish food. What a bummer that was.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    A group of friends and I binged through just about all the Freddy and Jason movies in a big-ass marathon before we went and saw Freddy vs. Jason. I remember liking the movie just fine at the time but having seen it again, it is definitely bad but it's still pretty goddamn fun regardless.
    I dont think it was ever meant to be anything but fun.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, amusingly, this group of friends was several conservative Christians and the girls would insist on covering the guys eyes or that we close them whenever there was any nudity on screen. Gruesome gory murders are fine but heaven forbid you see a pair of tits, boys.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How Sweet Dark Meat is my favorite movie quote

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still don't like the idea that they ignore every movie, including H20 and the real Halloween 2. Just awful. As a big fan of Halloween 2 in particular, I don't think it's going to be easy for this film to be good enough to make me feel like ignoring it was worth it. A few nods to the original don’t make this film worthwhile for me.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember going and seeing Freddy v. Jason the night it opened. An older guy had a Freddy tat on his arm and he was super pissed at how it ended. I think for me my expectations were so fucking high that even if it was realistically a great movie I might have shit on it lol. But what we got was just terrible. Everything from the horrid cast to the script. The concept was interesting but the execution fucking sucked.

The only good part of the movie was that Robert Englund was in it. Except he apparently earned his black belt in several martial arts because he was doing a bunch of shit I'd never seen in any movie lol. Plus, what really sucked, absolutely nobody from any Friday the 13th or Elm St films were part of it. At the very fucking least you bring in Alice and either kill her off or make her like a mentor character.

But again it's one of those shit movies where the production company and the director have their own weird vision that they want to tell. I'll never forget on the commentary the director was like, about casting Jason, "We wanted someone with sad eyes" THE FUCK!?!?!!??!!?!? Naw, let's not pit the iconic Kane Hodder against the ultra iconic Robert Englund. That alone pissed me off. Still, the worst fucking part of this movie is the wannabe Jason Mewes.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I like how Nick Castle plays Michael Myers in some of the new movie. I wonder if any other original cast members will be in it, like Sheriff Brackett, Lindsay, or Tommy?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was about 9 my dad let me and a couple friends watch Friday the 13th Part 2. A couple weeks later he took us camping at the same lake they shot parts of the movie at. He drove us around the lake and pointed out where they shot the scenes and then proceeded to fuck with us the rest of the weekend asking "did you guys hear that in the woods?" or "you're going to the lake to swim at night? That's pretty brave. I'm sure as hell not going."

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New trailer. Some additional moments/scares revealed so if you're the type who doesn't like revealing trailers, be warned.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuuuck, I love how it just... follows him in the beginning. Brilliant.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2nd trailer looks better than the first one (which I loved) but im worried that 75% of the movie might be re-doing scenes from the original series. So far just in the trailers they’ve recreated the scene where Laurie walks home with her friends, the 2 kids walking into Michael on the street, the escape from the hospital, the gas station/bathroom scene, and the old lady with the rollers in her hair scene from H2.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The old lady went to her hairdresser, and she asked the hairdresser how to keep her hair curly, and the hairdresser said "keep rollin' rollin' rollin"

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That second trailer was good stuff. I also love that long shot where it follows him. This looks quite promising.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are we on the timeline and how are these characters still alive?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
    Where are we on the timeline and how are these characters still alive?
    This film wipes the slate clean after the original. It picks up forty years after the first movie ended. Michael Myers presumably hobbled away after the end of the first one and got taken into custody at some point.

Anyway, Michael bumping into those trick 'r treaters at the beginning of the second trailer made me uncomfortable. Very effective. Michael feels scary again.

The early reviews are mostly pretty good to great. Even if the movie is ultimately a retread, I think it will be a well crafted one.

Banned
    Smoking Meth and cuddling with an Armenian Gender Queer on a broken couch inside of an abandoned abortion clinic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    Quote Originally Posted by Might As Well Be Donald View Post
    It was the one with all of the homosexual (way)overtones.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    A month away from this and I'm stoked.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same. It's interesting to see how comedy writers/filmmakers have been showing that they get horror. When I first heard Danny McBride was a writer for this and David Green was directing I immediately thought this was going to be a train wreck. But... it looks like they have it down, miles and miles passed Zombie ever thought he could. Get Out was superb and now this looks about as perfect as I've dreamed a Halloween movie could be.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Apparently there are some bits of comedy in the films, so hopefully that doesn't undercut the horror. A few of the reviews said there are a few too many jokey moments, but I'm not all that worried.

David Gordon Green and Danny McBride have done great work in the past, so I was never worried about those guys being in charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it was a missed opportunity to bring in Danielle Harris to play the same role she basically played in Halloween 4 and 5, only in this new timeline. I guess it just wasn't considered or they really wanted to ignore the sequels. Rob brought her in for his films as Annie. I think it would've been neat to have Jamie and Danielle in the film.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's earned the right to be in this. Retconning the story is fine, but fans don't forget. She's Laurie's daughter, and having her play the role alongside Jamie Lee would be an honorable service to Danielle and the fans. Won't happen of course, but it should be her and no one else. I still wish she got the daughter role, however. But yeah, I'm a bit resentful that they're including Laurie's daughter, but hiring a new actress to play a new character. I like Judy Greer, but this seems like a massive missed opportunity.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't really give a shit about Jamie Lloyd. The average movie goer doesn't know or care about that character, honestly. Halloween 4 is a serviceable 80's slasher movie, but everything else involving Jamie Lloyd is varying degrees of bad. Saying Danielle Harris (who seems like a very nice person) "earned the right to be in this" is daffy.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm curious as to how they are going to continue the story from one, cause Michael was shot off the balcony, but when Loomis looks he's gone. Maybe he limped away and then they find him and get him?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm curious as to how they are going to continue the story from one, cause Michael was shot off the balcony, but when Loomis looks he's gone. Maybe he limped away and then they find him and get him?
    Yeah, I'm assuming he limped away and collapsed in an alley way before being taken into custody. I think they were actually going to recreate part of the ending at the beginning of the new film but John Carpenter told them that it's unnecessary and to let the audience draw their own conclusions.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    I don't really give a shit about Jamie Lloyd. The average movie goer doesn't know or care about that character, honestly. Halloween 4 is a serviceable 80's slasher movie, but everything else involving Jamie Lloyd is varying degrees of bad. Saying Danielle Harris (who seems like a very nice person) "earned the right to be in this" is daffy.
    Man, I have many mixed feelings about retconning. Feels like a situation where they throw out a chunk of established lore. It might be for the best but it's sad to see years of mythology get erased.

I personally think it would've been best to have Michael come back to his hometown years after the events of H/H2 with little explanation as to how he survived or where he's been. Take it back to its roots.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    Man, I have many mixed feelings about retconning. Feels like a situation where they throw out a chunk of established lore. It might be for the best but it's sad to see years of mythology get erased.

I personally think it would've been best to have Michael come back to his hometown years after the events of H/H2 with little explanation as to how he survived or where he's been. Take it back to its roots.
    You shouldn't think of it as retconning. Monsters like Dracula and Frankenstein have multiple films set in different continuities. It's a similar situation.

This movie is taking Halloween back to its roots. That's the intention anyway. You can't get more back to the roots than stripping everything down and making a follow up to the original. I really don't know how this follow up could take place after Halloween 2 since he was a burnt up corpse at the end of that movie. I'd prefer Michael not to be a Jason-like zombie. He pretty much became that after Halloween 2, but aside from 4 being dumb slasher fun, the rest of those movies are schlock. I'm also glad they've done away with Laurie being Michael's sister. The whole vendetta against his family makes the character less scary. Laurie surviving the first film should be enough of a motivation for Michael to go back for her anyway.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With 54 reviews in on RT Halloween has 85% fresh which makes it the best reviewed Halloween since the original.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There's a rumor that Blumhouse are already planning on plowing ahead with a Halloween sequel without David Gordon Green and Danny McBride's involvement. Goddammit. Slow the fuck down. This doesn't need to be a franchise with yearly installments. If Halloween 2018 has box office legs beyond its opening weekend, it will likely be because of DGG and McBride's work. Wait until audiences can digest the film before starting on another sequel. If the 2018 film doesn't resonate with people then think about going in a different direction. Even if that's the case, take your time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew someone would do this but it's still kinda funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZAh7ikht3s

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hope I'm able to see this on the weekend. I'll have to avoid all spoilers if not!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She did earn the right. Halloween 4 and 5 are the most consistently shown Halloween movies on t.v. and premium channels. I mean we're not saying it was some bullshit she's not in this but I agree, it was a missed opp.

The weird thing is though she played a different character in the Zombie remakes.

You shouldn't think of it as retconning. Monsters like Dracula and Frankenstein have multiple films set in different continuities. It's a similar situation.

This movie is taking Halloween back to its roots. That's the intention anyway. You can't get more back to the roots than stripping everything down and making a follow up to the original. I really don't know how this follow up could take place after Halloween 2 since he was a burnt up corpse at the end of that movie. I'd prefer Michael not to be a Jason-like zombie. He pretty much became that after Halloween 2, but aside from 4 being dumb slasher fun, the rest of those movies are schlock. I'm also glad they've done away with Laurie being Michael's sister. The whole vendetta against his family makes the character less scary. Laurie surviving the first film should be enough of a motivation for Michael to go back for her anyway.
    It is a revised version though of the original story. Them claiming that she wasn't really his sister, kind of odd. I don't even agree with the idea that it made him weaker. No, it gave him purpose and it was original. I think they wanted it more of a broad reasoning, like why Jason and Freddy do what they do.

I'm excited as fuck though for it as I dig this approach. If you're going to use an iconic character of the movies, and you erase a huge part of it, you better come correct and I have a feeling they will.

I mean, imagine if they brought back Robert Englund to do the next Freddy and they go "Well we know that he was a child molester and was getting revenge on the parents who killed him but this time we're going to make him be a space shuttle engineer who was killed in an accidental explosion and he's getting revenge on the kids of those responsible!"

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't think 4 and 5 are aired more consistently than 1 or 2.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    I don't think 4 and 5 are aired more consistently than 1 or 2.
    I think they are. Especially on AMC. For many years that was the go-to and for many years they would only air Halloween 4 and 5.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    AMC didn't have the rights to air 1 and 2 for a long time. Networks tend to have exclusive rights when it comes to airing certain films. That's my understanding anyway.

I really don't see how not involving Danielle Harris is a missed opportunity. The general movie going public doesn't know who Jamie Lloyd is, and including that character would likely require too much exposition for a movie that's an hour and forty four minutes long. Keeping it simple was the right call.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AMC didn't have the rights to air 1 and 2 for a long time. Networks tend to have exclusive rights when it comes to airing certain films. That's my understanding anyway.

I really don't see how not involving Danielle Harris is a missed opportunity. The general movie going public doesn't know who Jamie Lloyd is, and including that character would likely require too much exposition for a movie that's an hour and forty four minutes long. Keeping it simple was the right call.
    While you can talk about the general movie publics wants and desires, I'm going to roll with the idea that they wouldn't care either way. I feel the majority of the people going to see this aren't going to be peeps who randomly decide to go see this because there's nothing better to do. It's going to be fans of the franchise, of the iconic characters. I will even bet that a lot of fans will shit on the re-telling. Personally, I can't wait to see it. I'm excited to see how everything falls into place with this approach.

Imagine if the new Star Wars movies were like, you know, Luke and Leia weren't really brother and sister and Darth Vader was different than Anakin Skywalker. That's what we are seeing here. The strangest part is using some of the same people from the older movies.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen any of the previous movies in full (even half), but I will likely be going to see this.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    I haven't seen any of the previous movies in full (even half), but I will likely be going to see this.
    Why? What makes this one so appealing to where you wouldn't sit through any of the other 8 but now you're willing to go spend money on this at a movie theater, more than likely not by yourself so there's probably $30 down the drain for a franchise you couldn't bother to watch?

Because part of me thinks your response is simply a contradiction to what I said.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why? What makes this one so appealing to where you wouldn't sit through any of the other 8 but now you're willing to go spend money on this at a movie theater, more than likely not by yourself so there's probably $30 down the drain for a franchise you couldn't bother to watch?

Because part of me thinks your response is simply a contradiction to what I said.
    Because I haven't had that much of an interest in the genre up until 2-3 years ago. Time is limited for me, so I'm not really willing to go back and watch any of the other ones. The company that is producing this film is a good one in my eyes when it comes to the genre, so I'm willing to go and take a chance to be entertained. Pretty simple explanation lol.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The horror movie genre in general isn't particularly known for it's own strict adherence to internal continuity, let alone 'expanded universe' continuity amongst it's characters. Sci-fi tends to bring out the fans that have more of an eye for continuity issues.
    Like any other franchise, every movie should be about bringing in new viewers, not just trying to appease an existing fanbase. You shouldn't 'have to' sit there and binge-watch all the previous installments just to get a sense for what the latest one has to offer.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You really only need to see the first one to see this one, but after 40 years I'm pretty sure everyone knows the plot.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing this tomorrow night finally. Can't wait

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I haven't had that much of an interest in the genre up until 2-3 years ago. Time is limited for me, so I'm not really willing to go back and watch any of the other ones. The company that is producing this film is a good one in my eyes when it comes to the genre, so I'm willing to go and take a chance to be entertained. Pretty simple explanation lol.
    That explanation was funny? Weird.

Simple? Sure. I can respect that, you'll still be in the minority. You'll still be the person trying to contradict anyone who follows the franchise as well because you feel it will make you stand out more. I hear it all the time from people who just disagree to disagree. You will be the first person to come in here if myself or Donald shit on it and go "well since I never watched the originals I thought it was the shit!"

Quote Originally Posted by casselmm47 View Post
    The horror movie genre in general isn't particularly known for it's own strict adherence to internal continuity, let alone 'expanded universe' continuity amongst it's characters. Sci-fi tends to bring out the fans that have more of an eye for continuity issues.
    Like any other franchise, every movie should be about bringing in new viewers, not just trying to appease an existing fanbase. You shouldn't 'have to' sit there and binge-watch all the previous installments just to get a sense for what the latest one has to offer.
    I'm not saying cater to only 1 demographic. That's what everyone else is saying. The response of "Well the casual movie goer won't care" is a cop out. We don't know what they will or will not give a shit about. And you're either ignorant to the genre (I mean that in a nice way) or have very limited interactions with horror movie fans but we do in fact love continuity especially with iconic franchises. Why else do you think they're the most vocal about these remakes and why do you think a lot of horror movies that fuck with major aspects of these movies don't do that well? How well did the last Nightmare on Elm St movie do? How about the last Friday the 13th?

Our expectations are very high.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That explanation was funny? Weird.

Simple? Sure. I can respect that, you'll still be in the minority. You'll still be the person trying to contradict anyone who follows the franchise as well because you feel it will make you stand out more. I hear it all the time from people who just disagree to disagree. You will be the first person to come in here if myself or Donald shit on it and go "well since I never watched the originals I thought it was the shit!"
    I wasn't trying to claim to be anything other than the minority. I was just stating that I am in fact a contradiction to your line of thinking. That doesn't make me anything other than an outlier. I'm not really sure how you would expect me to try to assess an entire franchise without seeing any of it. You have interacted with me enough to know how I look at things. I look at it with thorough analysis and logic. Why would I try to go ahead and contradict someone who is more invested and has more of an understanding of something I would have one film to go off of in order to "stand out"? Where is the sense in that? Now what I would have an opinion on is the very film I'm in the theater to see lol. Can I compare it to the previous however many there are? Nope, and I'm not inclined to compare them because that's stupid of me to try to do so. Can I compare it to recent films of the genre? I sure can and that's entirely fair to do so. I also am very skeptical of you thinking I am someone who disagrees simply for the sake of disagreeing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know some series have their more die-hard fans, but that can also vary from series to series, creator involvement in maintaining integrity between films, the creative talent involved in those remakes, etc. But that's still a recent development with the 'franchise' series. Going back to Universal days and even up until at least the 70's, damn near every film was considered a one-off with little thought to continuity.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't trying to claim to be anything other than the minority. I was just stating that I am in fact a contradiction to your line of thinking. That doesn't make me anything other than an outlier. I'm not really sure how you would expect me to try to assess an entire franchise without seeing any of it. You have interacted with me enough to know how I look at things. I look at it with thorough analysis and logic. Why would I try to go ahead and contradict someone who is more invested and has more of an understanding of something I would have one film to go off of in order to "stand out"? Where is the sense in that? Now what I would have an opinion on is the very film I'm in the theater to see lol. Can I compare it to the previous however many there are? Nope, and I'm not inclined to compare them because that's stupid of me to try to do so. Can I compare it to recent films of the genre? I sure can and that's entirely fair to do so. I also am very skeptical of you thinking I am someone who disagrees simply for the sake of disagreeing.
    To me, in the context of the discussion we were having prior to your original post, it felt like you were saying "Well I haven't watched the originals so I don't care about any of that stuff" just to back up someone else saying casual movie goers won't care about Danielle Harris' character or other elements that would have been nice to see. When you explain the reason WHY you are now suddenly interested due to the company producing it having a hand in movies like The Purge or whatever movie they've done that you liked after 30 years of not watching any horror movies (or being a fan of, sorry)......then it makes a little more sense why you would say that.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, in the context of the discussion we were having prior to your original post, it felt like you were saying "Well I haven't watched the originals so I don't care about any of that stuff" just to back up someone else saying casual movie goers won't care about Danielle Harris' character or other elements that would have been nice to see. When you explain the reason WHY you are now suddenly interested due to the company producing it having a hand in movies like The Purge or whatever movie they've done that you liked after 30 years of not watching any horror movies (or being a fan of, sorry)......then it makes a little more sense why you would say that.
    *Googles Danielle Harris*
    That should help further illustrate my lack of knowledge of the genre beyond a few years ago.

It's not just the company producing it. It was just one of the few reasons to be interested. The trailer itself was more than interesting enough, without really having any major investment in the franchise, to merit it being a movie that is worth going to see.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by casselmm47 View Post
    I know some series have their more die-hard fans, but that can also vary from series to series, creator involvement in maintaining integrity between films, the creative talent involved in those remakes, etc. But that's still a recent development with the 'franchise' series. Going back to Universal days and even up until at least the 70's, damn near every film was considered a one-off with little thought to continuity.
    You're talking about two totally different things. You're comparing movies that aren't franchise with movies that are..........That doesn't make any sense. Well I guess Frankenstein was kind of a franchise and it wasn't like in Bride of Frankenstein they took the same actors, same characters, and changed their entire relationship to each other.

Like I said about Star Wars, imagine the new trilogy making Luke and Leia non-siblings and Darth Vader and Anakin completely separate individuals just to tell a different story.

Go back and think of the Elm St movies. They didn't change Freddy 5 movies in to actually be a former NASA scientist. Sure, to people like BG who didn't give a shit until now about the series, it won't make much difference. But to the people who are invested, and to those who become invested after the fact, they're going to wonder what the fuck were they doing? Even if it's good, even if it all makes sense with how they spin it, they're still fucking with the wheel.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Googles Danielle Harris*
    That should help further illustrate my lack of knowledge of the genre beyond a few years ago

It's not just the company producing it. It was just one of the few reasons to be interested. The trailer itself was more than interesting enough, without really having any major investment in the franchise, to merit it being a movie that is worth going to see.
    It doesn't matter. Every movie like this doesn't need to solely cater to the new fan who doesn't know, for example, who Danielle Harris is and why she's important to the franchise overall. But that's what makes it fun when you go back and watch Halloween 4 and 5 and go Oh shit now I get why people wanted to see her in the new one. Movies do that a lot, they give the viewer a little nod to something and you go oh shit they were referencing the 3rd movie in that scene. Whether you as the noob care at that moment is irrelevant.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I am going to see it in less than an hour. May do something on my website about it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said about Star Wars, imagine the new trilogy making Luke and Leia non-siblings and Darth Vader and Anakin completely separate individuals just to tell a different story.
    As a Star Trek fan, this is very similar to what they did with their 2009 reboot. Under close examination, 'alternate timeline' excuses fundamentally changed many of the characters.
    But again, that goes back to how closely the Craven and Carpenter types kept the reigns to these franchises, as opposed to looser studio pass-arounds like the Frankenstein types back in the day. Even Halloween 3 treats the first two as taking place in it's own separate 'universe of sorts. One of the bigger horror tropes is that everything is usually reset at the end of the movie (In a 'He's gone.... or is he' sense), so it's difficult to even try to compare a series like this to more open-ended serialized action series.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    4 out of 5.

I would have gone higher, but the screenwriters didn't shoehorn in a shitty character played by a who-gives-a-shit actress. FOR SHAME!

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It made 7.7 million from last night grosses, should be a big opening weekend for this!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw it this morning. The 1 thing that it was missing was Danielle Harris.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Was it also missing Donald pleasence my hero

- - - Updated - - -

RIP I miss you

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'd rank it behind Halloween 1-3 and H20, but above all the rest. It really is a great film. I was rooting for Michael the whole movie.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved it, loved it, loved it.

My favorite bit was when

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rank it behind Halloween 1-3 and H20, but above all the rest. It really is a great film. I was rooting for Michael the whole movie.

hold on, what?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    hold on, what?

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, i was about to say, haha.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The black sheriff is introduced, but then just kind of disappears. That was one of my minor gripes.

Julian, the kid that Vicky is babysitting, practically steals the show.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    This was really good. Liked the call backs, the final act was sensational and satisfying. Although I really loved the petrol station scene, tense as fuck.

All the other Halloween movies are fairly terrible so I dont see any point in ranking them.

Beer Belly i quite liked that characters kind of disappeared. I would be getting to fuck out of there if there was a mad man with a knife stabbing cunts so to me a fairly realistic they would to.

I thought that all the comic stuff was done well and fit well. 'GET INSIDE IM A DOCTOR!" was a hilarious line.

Really solid, nice call backs to the old movies, Jamie Lee Curtis steals every scene shes in with a terrific performance, the score is brilliant. I am honestly struggling to find anything to dislike about it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LIGHTS GO ON.

Last edited by VHS; October 21st, 2018 at 8:54 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You might want to spoiler tag that, VHS. Maybe not, but I thought the motion sensor sequence was one of the most inspired horror sequences in a while.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post
    This was really good. Liked the call backs, the final act was sensational and satisfying. Although I really loved the petrol station scene, tense as fuck.

All the other Halloween movies are fairly terrible so I dont see any point in ranking them.

Beer Belly i quite liked that characters kind of disappeared. I would be getting to fuck out of there if there was a mad man with a knife stabbing cunts so to me a fairly realistic they would to.

I thought that all the comic stuff was done well and fit well. 'GET INSIDE IM A DOCTOR!" was a hilarious line.

Really solid, nice call backs to the old movies, Jamie Lee Curtis steals every scene shes in with a terrific performance, the score is brilliant. I am honestly struggling to find anything to dislike about it.
    I enjoy Halloween II a lot. Season of the Witch is definitely an acquired taste, but I like the atmosphere, the weirdness, and the score. It's pure schlock, though, and it honestly drags for much of its runtime. Halloween 4 is serviceable for what it is. H2O just feels like a Scream movie with Michael and Laurie in it. That one suffers from the teenage characters being too verbose, which is a problem I have with Scream. There's really not a lot of action in it either.

The characters disappearing isn't a big deal, but it would have been better if they'd given some sort of explanation for the sheriff being gone.

I do wonder why Haddonfield wouldn't be put on lock down once the police found out that Michael Myers was on the loose. Then again, even in Jaws they didn't close down the beaches on the Fourth of July.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The movie made $92 million worldwide this weekend on a budget of $15 million. A sequel is probably inevitable at this point. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'd probably be down if they took their time and kept the 2018 creative team, but I don't have any interest in some fast tracked bullshit that's rushed out to meet a deadline.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post

You really think Halloween (1978) is terrible?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You really think Halloween (1978) is terrible?
    I think he meant to say that the sequels are fairly terrible.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Oh ok. Understood.

I think Halloween Ii, 3, 4, and H2O are better than terrible though. Certainly not masterpieces but definitely enjoyable .
    Last edited by Might As Well Be Donald; October 21st, 2018 at 2:31 PM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    I was talking about sequels/reboots. All terrible.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I have to sit down and watch Halloween II, because I think its part of the continuity as well. It weirdly reminded me of Force Awakens.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Um...what? Hawkins Wasnt even in the original Halloween, nor did he have a daughter in it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    I have to sit down and watch Halloween II, because I think its part of the continuity as well. It weirdly reminded me of Force Awakens.
    Halloween II definitely isn't part of the continuity. Michael was burnt to a crisp at the end of that movie. In the 2018 film, his face is fine other than the eye that Laurie damaged at the end of the first movie. Plus, nothing from II was ever referenced.

Also, you're confusing Hawkins with Sheriff Brackett from the first movie. Hawkins is a new character and Brackett would be like 80 by now.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Halloween II definitely isn't part of the continuity. Michael was burnt to a crisp at the end of that movie. In the 2018 film, his face is fine other than the eye that Laurie damaged at the end of the first movie. Plus, nothing from II was ever referenced.

Also, you're confusing Hawkins with Sheriff Brackett from the first movie. Hawkins is a new character and Brackett would be like 80 by now.
    Well, then, I am really confused.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Well, then, I am really confused.
    I think I ran to piss when they explained it, but...

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Also it's Laurie not Lori.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Continuity goes original Halloween -> This one
    The original Halloween is the only other film in this canon, it's a nice clean two movie time line...

Although the Silver Shamrock masks from Halloween 3 show up, and those are from a universe where the original Halloween is just a movie, but here they are just masks in a continuity where the movie is real and...

Last edited by Bill Casey; October 22nd, 2018 at 7:08 AM.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wonder if Michael Myers' Halloween costume is Austin Powers

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wonder if Michael Myers' Halloween costume is Austin Powers
    I don't think Michael Myers is aware of comedy.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't think Michael Myers is aware of comedy.
    The Love Guru proved this...

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I like that they've turned a series that became a joke into some serious good stuff again. I hope they do the same with Friday the 13th and the like.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    The Love Guru proved this...
    Unfortunately I can't give you positive reps at the moment.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    Saw it last night and loved it. It was more fun than anything imo.

Unrelated to the movie: Bill Casey with some straight up banger posts in this thread lol

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just read that LeBron James is looking to produce a new Friday the 13th film wtf haha

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this movie STUNK

holy cow what a boring cinema experience. maybe you just need to be familiar with the series to get all the callbacks but as someone who went in fresh, this had almost nothing redeeming about it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest issue with this movie was that none of the characters were likable. While I'm not an old school horror fan I can understand how this movie maybe paid homage to the original by not doing many jump scares and having cheesy dialogue (I think people call it campy when they want to put a positive spin on it) and insanely stupid decisions by the characters where you're forced to yell at how stupid they're being and a bad guy who doesn't suffer injuries like a normal human.

But the characters themselves, man, that's where they lost me - in the first 20 minutes I already felt like this movie definitely sucked. None of the characters were endearing. Judy Greer was awful, both in performance and in the way she was written. The delivery of some of her early lines at the beginning (talking about her childhood) felt so lifeless, like she wasn't even trying to act. Oh and kicking the whole story off with two asshole podcasters wasn't great either, like why did those characters have to be written as stupid dickheads? Am I intentionally not supposed to care when they get killed?

I probably just don't get it because I haven't seen the originals (I think I saw the first one once but I don't remember it well) but this was one of the worst movies I've seen in a while. The trailer was great though.

3/10

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Casting in this movie wasn't good. The guy playing the doctor was awful. Greer certainly doesn't fit this role, and her husband was a complete joke. Curtis is great, the soundtrack is fantastic, and the directing is inventive. There were many times when the story had to go somewhere else in order to set up the story, but unlike the original, I don't feel like it's blended as well. I also feel like the film was impatient at points, moving us from one scene to the next, instead of building until it climaxed, again like the original. Get rid of Halloween 5 and 6, and H40 could've technically worked as a sequel to 4 with some creativity.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Fro, they are playing the original in my town all week starting Friday. Come on down. Yea, after getting characters confused and looking back on it, its not a great film. There are good moments, but it does seem rushed. Halloween 1 did a great job of setting up Loomis, the Sheriff, the kids and Michael. You actually care about the people involved instead of them being a checklist.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I like that they've turned a series that became a joke into some serious good stuff again. I hope they do the same with Friday the 13th and the like.
    I really wish they would wipe Jason Goes to Hell from the Friday The 13th canon. Jason just showing back up after being melted and turned back into a kid is hella lame. So was turning him into a deadite.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Halloween and Friday the 13th linear storyline doesn't make sense at all.

we basically wiped away Halloween 4, 5, 6 to get to H20 and Resurrection. Now we are wiping everything away everything besides Halloween 1 to get here.

Friday the 13th goes 1-8 and then in Jason Goes to Hell he is back from being a kid without any explanation. Then are we to believe that Freddy vs Jason leads into Jason X? I don't even think they explained how he lived in Friday part 3 heading into part 4.