User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Carpenter returns to Halloween

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I just treat each movie as itself. Works better that way. Trying to make some sort of sense out of the timelines is just asinine. I legitimately do love all the movies in both franchises, except for Rob Zombie's Halloween. I wish I had the same love for a Nightmare on Elm Street, but I must just have a fetish for the strong, silent type.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    My biggest issue with this movie was that none of the characters were likable. While I'm not an old school horror fan I can understand how this movie maybe paid homage to the original by not doing many jump scares and having cheesy dialogue (I think people call it campy when they want to put a positive spin on it) and insanely stupid decisions by the characters where you're forced to yell at how stupid they're being and a bad guy who doesn't suffer injuries like a normal human.

But the characters themselves, man, that's where they lost me - in the first 20 minutes I already felt like this movie definitely sucked. None of the characters were endearing. Judy Greer was awful, both in performance and in the way she was written. The delivery of some of her early lines at the beginning (talking about her childhood) felt so lifeless, like she wasn't even trying to act. Oh and kicking the whole story off with two asshole podcasters wasn't great either, like why did those characters have to be written as stupid dickheads? Am I intentionally not supposed to care when they get killed?

I probably just don't get it because I haven't seen the originals (I think I saw the first one once but I don't remember it well) but this was one of the worst movies I've seen in a while. The trailer was great though.

3/10
    Thinking back, the only scene that still seems fresh in my mind is the bathroom scene. It was just really well done in my opinion. I didn't care for the male podcaster, but I did feel sorry for the female one. It seemed she was just strung along doing things she didn't really want to do.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
    I really wish they would wipe Jason Goes to Hell from the Friday The 13th canon. Jason just showing back up after being melted and turned back into a kid is hella lame. So was turning him into a deadite.
    I sorta wish they'd consider the New Line Cinema movies non-canon. Considering how out there Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X were you could start the next movie with some kids telling campfire stories about the legend of Jason Voorhees. Set it 30 years later. With an aged Tommy, some teens, and bring Kane Hodder back as Jason. Don't put the focus on him alone though.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite part, if I should say something positive here, was probably the babysitter and the little black kid.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed it, it wasn't perfect. The beginning was a little slow and anti-climatic but it builds nicely to the end. Jamie Lee was a little over the top for me early on in the movie. As for the characters I liked Alyson and her blonde friend and the kid she babysits. They definitely upped the kill game for this version of Michael, his kills reminded me of when a big man enters the royal rumble and just lays out 19 people in like 45 seconds.

Overall I'd give it a B. I'd have to watch it again because part of my enjoyment was ruined by the other people in the theater who came in and immediately made the whole room smell like weed and brought their 7 year old to a 9:45 showing of Halloween on a school night. I thought a late showing on a Thursday night would keep people away but I didn't consider the people who don't have anything else to do but smoke weed and see movies.
    Last edited by Tim; October 26th, 2018 at 12:46 AM.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Saw the original last night in an old theater with a kick ass sound system. The new digital restoration for this is amazing.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    No invite?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was pretty enjoyable. I agree with some thoughts about the podcasters and then certain cases of comeuppance not paying off, but I thought the movie was a fun watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed it. It was fun.

Still, I had an issue with the graphic violence being used above suspense and tension, and the random comedy lines that came out of nowhere and didn't seem to fit.

Still, it's one of the better Halloween films. The original is unbeaten still, obviously.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a fun movie with some nice callbacks. The score was great throughout. It's the second best movie of the halloween franchise, IMO.

Obviously the original is the best followed by this one and then H20 close behind.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's certainly a welcome film after what Rob Zombie did.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Halloween 2018 is the second best Halloween movie.

What did you think of the Loomis voice over, Donald? "THE EVIL MUST DIE!" It sounded like the late great Donald Pleasence.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wish he was still around, I know he'd be nearing 100 and probably unable to be in it if he was still alive, but shit man what a fantastic actor. He's one of a handful of actors I'm just in awe of. Without him I don't think the original Halloween would be as good as it is.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Might As Well Be Donald View Post
    Wish he was still around, I know he'd be nearing 100 and probably unable to be in it if he was still alive, but shit man what a fantastic actor. He's one of a handful of actors I'm just in awe of. Without him I don't think the original Halloween would be as good as it is.
    I agree.

Did you know that Christopher Lee turned down the Loomis role? Lee later told John Carpenter at a party that turning it down was one of the biggest mistakes of his career.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    I agree.

Did you know that Christopher Lee turned down the Loomis role? Lee later told John Carpenter at a party that turning it down was one of the biggest mistakes of his career.
    Yes, it is fascinating to read about roles that stars turned down, that they later regretted.

Also, Donald Pleasence also only took the role because his daughter was a huge fan of Assault on Precinct 13 apparently.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    My new head canon is Michael Myers is really mad that noone is wearing a Halloween costume...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    My new head canon is Michael Myers is really mad that noone is wearing a Halloween costume...
    But he's usually around people in Halloween costumes.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    But he's usually around people in Halloween costumes.
    Yeah, but he kills people not in Halloween costumes...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    Yeah, but he kills people not in Halloween costumes...
    He definitely kills some people in costumes in the new movie.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Laurie's daughter actually is named Jamie in an early draft of the script. So they did almost go there, but I'm glad they didn't.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Saw this a couple of days ago on Blu Ray...and I don't think it's a good movie. I don't know if it was the excitement of a new Halloween movie, seeing it in the theaters, or nostalgia, but I absolutely loved this when I first saw it. On repeat viewing I realized it's not as good as I thought it was. I feel the same way about many horror movies though, so maybe these are meant to be once and done films?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    What a coincidence, this bump. Saw this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I know it's Halloween but still I thought it was surprisingly violent.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Saw this a couple of days ago on Blu Ray...and I don't think it's a good movie. I don't know if it was the excitement of a new Halloween movie, seeing it in the theaters, or nostalgia, but I absolutely loved this when I first saw it. On repeat viewing I realized it's not as good as I thought it was. I feel the same way about many horror movies though, so maybe these are meant to be once and done films?
    I thought it was good but the fact that it ditched a lot of the other movies and mythology i.e they're supposedly not related yet he still has this desire to kill her after 40 years.....I just wasn't feeling that and I wasn't feeling the Sarah Connor version of Laurie. Especially when her arsenal seemed excessive. She had maybe 40 guns....why?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    What a coincidence, this bump. Saw this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I know it's Halloween but still I thought it was surprisingly violent.
    Yeah Halloween movies, the non-Rob Zombie versions, were not very gruesome with the deaths compared to Friday the 13th.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It sits in the middle of the series for enjoyment purposes. 1-4 and H20 are better, while 5, 6, 8 and the two Rob Zombies aren't as good.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw it a few nights ago.

Fucking amazing. I loved the SHIT out of it.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If you took out the daughter and granddaughter, the comic relief friend and dad, it may have been better.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The daughter and the granddaughter were kind of the point. Although if there was something missing it was a scene driving thst point home.

Still. Some amazing brutal deaths. And it reiterated just how cold and evil Myers is.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If you took out the daughter and granddaughter, the comic relief friend and dad, it may have been better.
    No. Everything you mentioned served a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    The daughter and the granddaughter were kind of the point. Although if there was something missing it was a scene driving thst point home.

Still. Some amazing brutal deaths. And it reiterated just how cold and evil Myers is.
    I liked that Michael didn't seem to really give a shit about Laurie. He literally walked away from her after she shot him in a backyard. It took Michael's lunatic fanboy doctor driving him to her compound for that showdown to take place. He was never as fixated on her as she thought, which makes her character even more tragic. They could have explored that aspect a little more, honestly.

I thought the theme of trauma trickling down through generations was explored well enough.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this movie sucked so bad and I don't get the positive response but then again I'm not a campy horror fan

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    this movie sucked so bad and I don't get the positive response but then again I'm not a campy horror fan
    I didn't really get a campy vibe from it. Also, your opinion on this movie is for the birds.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got around to watching this tonight. It was pretty middle of the road. I really liked the music. There were some neat shots, as well, though it seemed like they cut down that cool-ass shot where the camera follows with him that was in the trailer.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I didn't really get a campy vibe from it. Also, your opinion on this movie is for the birds.
    Yeah, crazy. It wasn't bad at all.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If you were driving down the highway, and you saw what appeared to be a prison bus crashed on the side of the road, and people in white clothing roaming the streets, would you get out and go see if anyone needs help? Nah man, I'd stay inside the car and call the police. Granted, Michael Myers could just smash the car window and get you, so I'd probably drive far away first and then call the police.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    Yeah, crazy. It wasn't bad at all.
    not to be a broken record here but my biggest issue was that there weren't any good characters in the movie. I defy you to name one character that was good.

the music, the kills, all that stuff was probably fine. hating all the characters is what made this unwatchable for me

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Michael Myers was good.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, I'll give you that. They didn't screw up the silent killer role. They nailed that one.

It was when they had to give people dialogue and character traits that they struggled to make any of them likable.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You're right that there were no likeable characters. In the original you were rooting for Laurie. In this one I found myself rooting for Michael. At least the dad guy was somewhat comical.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was sort of digging that friend dude but even then they had to turn him into a creep.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right that there were no likeable characters. In the original you were rooting for Laurie. In this one I found myself rooting for Michael. At least the dad guy was somewhat comical.
    I liked him better on Reno 911 as Big Mike.

And even more as Artie (The strongest MAN...in the world) on Pete and Pete.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    None of the characters were bad, but I liked some more than others. Anything involving that Julian kid was gold.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sup.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I was sort of digging that friend dude but even then they had to turn him into a creep.
    He fucked up, but I thought he seemed pretty ashamed after he kissed Allyson. I guess it's open to interpretation.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but didn't he continue to try to justify it even after the apology or am I remembering wrong?

Anyway, that kid being babysat might've been the most entertaining/likeable character but personally I thought he acting was shit and very unconvincing as far as being scared of what was going on.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Yeah, but didn't he continue to try to justify it even after the apology or am I remembering wrong?

Anyway, that kid being babysat might've been the most entertaining/likeable character but personally I thought he acting was shit and very unconvincing as far as being scared of what was going on.
    He was definitely humiliated, but his excuses were pretty shitty. The more I think about it, the more I see it as desperate flailing because he genuinely liked her and he didn't want to piss off his friend/her boyfriend.

Julian was comic relief, but I agree his reaction to seeing Michael Myers attack Vicky should have been treated more realistically. The only thing I really had an issue with was him running back upstairs and yelling "NOPE!" No kid would have done that. Oh, I also liked Vicky and her stoner boyfriend as characters. They did the best with the time they were on screen. I thought the movie did a really good job when it came to establishing some of the minor characters.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great trailer here but it's very SPOILERY (imo). Warning to those who might not want the setup of the movie or various scares/kills ruined.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, thought that trailer was fucked up with the amount of spoilers. So mad I watched it, but hopefully the movie is still good.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kills has me super hyped. I love the idea of Haddonfield rising up as a whole and going after Michael. Halloween 4 kind of had that, but it was just a small band of gun toters. Now the whole town??

Stoked.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    Kills has me super hyped. I love the idea of Haddonfield rising up as a whole and going after Michael. Halloween 4 kind of had that, but it was just a small band of gun toters. Now the whole town??

Stoked.
    Yup.

This almost feels like a "for the fans" type story and I love the shit out of it.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    If its the town vs Michael then bring characters from Halloween One like the kids and the sheriff. No more randos like in the last one.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    If its the town vs Michael then bring characters from Halloween One like the kids and the sheriff. No more randos like in the last one.
    Anothony Michael Hall is playing Tommy Doyle.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Anothony Michael Hall sucks.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mother fucker.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul rudd should have been Tommy again. To make up for his acting in Curse of MM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    Paul rudd should have been Tommy again. To make up for his acting in Curse of MM.
    So you want a guy who played a character like shit to reprise the role? LOL. He was pretty terrible and still plays the same character in every movie. If you didn't like him 26 years ago in the worst Halloween movie ever, you might not want to see him "make up" anything.

How can you not be a fan of AMH?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    So you want a guy who played a character like shit to reprise the role? LOL. He was pretty terrible and still plays the same character in every movie. If you didn't like him 26 years ago in the worst Halloween movie ever, you might not want to see him "make up" anything.

How can you not be a fan of AMH?
    Sure. Rudd was still pretty wet behind the ears as an actor so yeah, he was terrible. While he mostly does comedic roles, his acting chops have massively improved and his range has widened since 1995.

Just would have been cool to see Paul return to one of his earliest roles, but it's no biggy.

Where did I say I'm not a fan of Anthony Michael Hall? Dude's great.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think we can all agree Halloween (2007) is the worst in the series.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude yeah, and the second Zombie Halloween is right on its heels too. Lord, those sucked.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree and I wouldn't necessarily say Rob Zombie's Halloween movies are "in the series" anymore than I would say the original Capt America is part of the MCU.

Rob's were good. The fact is we're all wrong. The absolute worst was Halloween Resurrection. Tyra Banks and Busta Rhymes plus Homeboy Rowangardener? Token black actor of the late 90's early 2000's Mr. Sean Patrick Thomas lol Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeak!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I disagree and I wouldn't necessarily say Rob Zombie's Halloween movies are "in the series" anymore than I would say the original Capt America is part of the MCU.

Rob's were good. The fact is we're all wrong. The absolute worst was Halloween Resurrection. Tyra Banks and Busta Rhymes plus Homeboy Rowangardener? Token black actor of the late 90's early 2000's Mr. Sean Patrick Thomas lol Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeak!
    I hated the Rob Zombies Halloween but I agree that H8 is the worst by far. It was so bad Jamie Lee asked to be killed in the first 10 minutes.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed the first Rob Zombie Halloween. I don't even remember the 2nd one. I actually may not have seen it.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I was so hyped for Zombie's Halloween and it was the biggest let down I've ever had in a movie. Man of Steel comes close. I'd rather watch Halloween Resurrection 100 times than Zombie's Halloween once.