User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Today in WWE/wrestling history

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flashing lights that we could see even though they were supposed to be in Kane's head was some really cringe-inducing shit.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    The flashing lights that we could see even though they were supposed to be in Kane's head was some really cringe-inducing shit.
    I thought it turned out that it wasn't just in kane's head though when it was revealed to be someone from kane's past dressed as kane?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man that was some cringe worthy stuff. Although the sement/match where HBK got Conway wearing the may 19th shirt was pretty entertaining thanks to HBK and his bugs bunny ways.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    I thought it turned out that it wasn't just in kane's head though when it was revealed to be someone from kane's past dressed as kane?
    Yeah, this guy:

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was pretty disappointed that fake Kane angle didn't go anywhere.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I was pretty disappointed that fake Kane angle didn't go anywhere.
    Agreed. Thought it had potential but they just kind of scrapped it. They even had the fake Kane go over meaning they planned on making it last a little while but then the next night they changed their mind when Kane kicked his ass.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Happy 70th Andre!

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 years ago today, the infamous "MSG Curtain Call" took place where, for the uneducated, Diesel (heel), Shawn Michaels, Triple H-known as Hunter Hearst Helmsley (heel as well), and Razor Ramon broke kayfabe after the Diesel-Shawn cage match and all came out for a "curtain call" so to speak as it was Diesel and Razor's last matches before going to WCW. These men, along with Sean Waltman aka 123 Kid/Xpac/Syxx were all best friends, dubbed "The Klik". There was so much fucking heat on these 4 but the only one who truly suffered was Triple H, as he was set to win the KOTR 1996 but due to this incident he did not win and instead, Stone Cold Steve Austin won it changing the face of professional wrestling forever.

I just bought the Klik blu ray and they talk about this in depth and fuck man all you have to do is listen to Jim Cornette's take on it as he was working there and as Vince Russo said on the blu ray, you would have that the end times were coming lol. Cornette actually said he would have fired both Shawn and Triple H or buried the fuck out of them for it but he also hates these 2 guys with a passion-Shawn moreso than Hunter lol.

Looking back, I remember picking up a wrestling magazine and they were talking about this and had the pictures. This was 1996, internet was still growing but kayfabe was still strong and you knew that this was something that was not supposed to be going on. I mean I thought even then it was the shit, I wasn't a mark to where I had no clue wrestling was scripted so to me it wasn't a big deal, it was cool and 20 years later people still talk about it and I think most people especially now even peers of the Klik realize it wasn't that bad and it was very cool. Nowadays that wouldn't have been a big deal at all, they even used the video footage a year later during the Shawn-Bret feud. Very cool, and it showed that you know what, Klik Rules. Plain and simple.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing i always have wondered about from the whole Curtain Call incident was had it not happend and Triple H went on to win KOTR that year would Austin have still gotten his rocket push. Would he have won it the next year but then we don't get the Bret/Austin Feud possibly which really catapulted him.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Austin would have been fine if you notice Austin was the only winner to not wear the cape or crown so they never had any intention of giving him a King Austin run. There would be no Austin 3:16 though. Watching those episodes of Raw I saw a lot of them trying out to see how the crowed would have responded to him against heels as he worked quite a few heel vs heel matches such as against HHH, Mankind, and Vader.

Anyway in today's history we have
    Judgment day 2007 where MVP beat Benoit in two consecutive falls
    Also in 2012 John Laurinaitis beat John Cena in a dud match as his only WWE win

Notable birthdays

Last edited by Bluegunn; May 20th, 2016 at 6:21 AM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my Facebook profile feed was accurate 5 years ago, May 20, 2011 is the day Randy Savage passed away. Randy Savage was an all-time favorite of mine. I went back and played 5-6 matches of his ranging from Steamboat to Hogan to Flair for my step-son and he fell in love with wrestling that night.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, RIP Macho Man Randy Savage. ABSOLUTE LEGEND. Great worker, great character, if you weren't a fan of Macho Man, even a little, I probably don't like you anyway lol. Seriously though. I think the first Mania I ever saw was WM 5. I know the first one my mom ordered on PPV was 6, but 5 was the first one that I remember renting. Hogan v. Savage, might be my favorite rivalry of all time. WWF, WCW, loved it all. They were Shawn and Bret before Shawn and Bret.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The promo Savage cut on Hogan prior to WM 5 where he ends it saying, "I hate you, Hulk Hogan, I hate you" is epic. The dude had tears in his eyes. You truly believed everything he was saying at all times. A,azing promo, incredible performer and absolute legend.

I truly believe he was the first, great technical wrestler in WWF/E history.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad he never got his win over Hogan.

And it's too bad he decided to join the NWO. Would have been great to see him feuding with the NWO with his insane, can't be controlled gimmick he had going on with the horsemen.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think Macho Man from Jan 1991 - end of 1992 was my favorite run of his.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macho got count out victories on Hogan I believe, but yes he never pinned him.

Today in WWE History in 2007 Bobby Lashley wrestled 4/7 of the matches on Raw as he wrestled Chris Masters, Umaga, Viscera, and Shane O Mac.

Notable Birthdays

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Owen Hart died 17 years ago today. Feels like yesterday.

King of Harts, you will forever be missed.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This day in wrestling history
    Raw is Owen -Val Venus was in the main event against the Rock

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff Jarrett should have main evented that show.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Was a touching show for sure, but for some reason Triple H's speech never seemed genuine, or at least not as genuine as other's on the show.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This day in history
    1994 Jeff Hardy debut on Raw in a losing effort against Razor Ramon
    Mr Kennedy made his return on Raw only to be let go the next night when he was in a ten man tag. This night also was worth mentioning as the Pepsi Center was originally booked for Raw but had to cancel it for a Nuggets game. In response the Lakers allowed WWE to use the staples center for Raw which happened to be the team the Nuggets were facing. Hence why the heels wore Nuggets jerseys and faces wore Lakers jerseys.

Notable birthdays
    Last edited by Bluegunn; May 26th, 2016 at 2:37 AM.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I remember that double booking issue.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This day in wrestling
    Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Iron Sheik were released because they were caught in the same car together which Vince did not want because they were feuding.
    Also in 1996 the PPV Day of the Dog In your house where the blackout killed half the show. The PPV ended up being a two night event because of this. Which made it odd since one of the nights Yokozuna wins and the next night Vader wins.
    Notable birthdays:
    Casey Marion

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashley Massaro mmmm she's hot.

Not really WWF/E but on this day in 1994, Konnan defeated Jake the Snake in a hair v. hair match. This was actually the first time I had really heard about Konnan because one of the wrestling mags had a 2-3 page article about showing Jake the Snake with a bald head.

In 2002 we saw an interesting Raw. RVD v. Eddie Guerrero in a ladder match, this is where I believe the ladder "broke" and RVD still pulled off a decent 5 star frog splash. Dug this rivalry a lot, this was how Eddie returned after being released I believe the year prior. Also, Spike Dudley and Women's champion Trish Stratus wrestled European Champion William Regal and Molly Holly where both titles were on the line in the sense that if Spike pinned Regal he'd win the Euro belt and if Molly pinned Trish she'd win the Women's title. Trish ended up getting the pin so no titles changed hands. Interesting show.
    Last edited by Nash Diesel; May 27th, 2016 at 12:39 PM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, rewind a few days here, Jeff Hardy has been wrestling for over 30 years? Jesus.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post
    Wait, rewind a few days here, Jeff Hardy has been wrestling for over 30 years? Jesus.
    Typo or bad math? 1994-2016=22 years. And he's not even 40 yet because he was 16 when he debuted. He lied about his age, said he was 18.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typo - sorry. LOL. 30 years would be really, really bad.

22 years is just a lot. It makes me feel very, very old.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post
    Typo - sorry. LOL. 30 years would be really, really bad.

22 years is just a lot. It makes me feel very, very old.
    22 years in the business and not even 40 and never been really injured in the ring. His broken leg he suffered was due to a motocross accident. With that style you'd think the dude would have been in a wheelchair by 20.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Was he legit hurt or was it part of a storyline when he was thrown off that cage in TNA? Can't remember when or against who, but he landed on the ring steps outside.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Ashley Massaro mmmm she's hot.

Not really WWF/E but on this day in 1994, Konnan defeated Jake the Snake in a hair v. hair match. This was actually the first time I had really heard about Konnan because one of the wrestling mags had a 2-3 page article about showing Jake the Snake with a bald head.

In 2002 we saw an interesting Raw. RVD v. Eddie Guerrero in a ladder match, this is where I believe the ladder "broke" and RVD still pulled off a decent 5 star frog splash. Dug this rivalry a lot, this was how Eddie returned after being released I believe the year prior. Also, Spike Dudley and Women's champion Trish Stratus wrestled European Champion William Regal and Molly Holly where both titles were on the line in the sense that if Spike pinned Regal he'd win the Euro belt and if Molly pinned Trish she'd win the Women's title. Trish ended up getting the pin so no titles changed hands. Interesting show.
    Also was the return of Chris Benoit from his neck injury and turned Heel at the end attacking Steve Austin after the Ladder Match.

RAW the night after In Your House Beware Of Dog where Ahmed Johnson suffered his 1st loss to Vader in the KOTR Tournament and was then revived backstage by Goldust with mouth to mouth. Which would set up their IC Title bout at KOTR 1996. Monday Nitro as well that night saw Scott Hall show up and declare war on WCW.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Hinchey View Post
    Also was the return of Chris Benoit from his neck injury and turned Heel at the end attacking Steve Austin after the Ladder Match.

RAW the night after In Your House Beware Of Dog where Ahmed Johnson suffered his 1st loss to Vader in the KOTR Tournament and was then revived backstage by Goldust with mouth to mouth. Which would set up their IC Title bout at KOTR 1996. Monday Nitro as well that night saw Scott Hall show up and declare war on WCW.
    I knew I should have done a little further research because I was looking at just the results for that Nitro and no mention of Scott Hall but I knew it had to be that date I just didn't look into it more.

How great was Scott Hall showing up on Nitro and cutting that promo? I would say at that time, it was the biggest moment in wrestling that I had witnessed since Warrior and Hogan threw down at Royal Rumble 1990.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Was he legit hurt or was it part of a storyline when he was thrown off that cage in TNA? Can't remember when or against who, but he landed on the ring steps outside.
    Storyline if I remember correctly. I think he said it hurt like a bitch but he was fine.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

The Machine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How great was Scott Hall showing up on Nitro and cutting that promo? I would say at that time, it was the biggest moment in wrestling that I had witnessed since Warrior and Hogan threw down at Royal Rumble 1990.
    Definitely the biggest "holy shit" moment I had been witness to in my wrestling viewing days. 14 year old me knew that Razor and Diesel were gone from WWF, but still bought in with the early days of the Outsiders angle. Loved it!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today in history
    1991 - Tugboat turned heel after attacking the Bushwackers in a 6 man tag forming the Natural Disasters

2001 - Grandmaster Sexay was released from the WWE after trying to smuggle drugs across the border
    On that same night Lance Storm became the first WCW wrestler to invade the WWE after the purchase from Shane.
    Notable birthdays

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today in history
    2000 - Ric Flair's final world title reign that lasted less than three hours came to an end after losing it to Jeff Jerrett
    Also marks the day of the first NXT Takeover special

Notable Birthdays

Last edited by Bluegunn; May 29th, 2016 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone help me make a joke about how it's Pete Gas from SmackDown 2's birthday...

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now Loading

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today in History
    1987 - The Honkeytonk man defeated Ricky Steamboat for the IC title and started his record reign as champ

Following wrestler passed away on this date
    JYD in a car crash
    Freddie Blassie of heart failure
    Dory Funk Jr of heart failure
    William Muldoon of prostate cancer

Wrestlemania guest celeb ring announcer Ray Combs also passed on this date

Notable birthdays

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also two years ago today Seth Rollins turned on Dean Ambrose & Roman Reigns.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today in wrestling
    Kevin Nash made his debut in 1993 on an episode of Raw being the bodyguard for HBK as he beat Marty Jannetty for the IC title
    In 1997 Jerry Lawler invaded ECW
    2006 John Cena became the #1 pick to the Raw brand

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today in Wrestling
    1997 HHH won the King of the Ring title that he was scheduled to win the previous year
    Last year the NXT title was defended for the first time on Raw as Kevin Owens defended his title against Neville

Birthdays

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today in wrestling 6/13

Bret Hart won the first King of the Ring Tournament in 1993
    In 2006 was also the first episode of ECW on Sci Fi

Birthdays
    Headbanger Thrasher

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    That was quite the moment wasn't it?

Didn't get WCW at the time (was a gap from SuperBrawl in February of '96 to Halloween Havoc in October where no channel over here aired them) and not sure if I even had the interwebz at the time. Probably read about it in Powerslam Magazine. Shocker.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadnt been watching WCW regularly at all at this time and I just happened to tune in right before the match started. I remember being beyond stunned.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I've just got beyond this point on the Network. So the right thing to do. Babyface Hogan was just not working.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He just wasnt a WCW guy. The fanbase was largely that of the old mid atlantic/mid south/florida championship/memphis championship territories and Hogan simply wasn't their guy. Hogan was the face of the enemy. He never seemed to get more than a middling pop upon his initial run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a while since i read anything on it. But as i recall Hogan wasn't supposed to be the 3rd member original, anyone else remember? I just recently went back and watched the Nitros between Hall & Nash's debut to this PPV. Bobby Hennan's commentary was perfect. Knowing now that Hogan would turn. Hennan was asking where was Hogan? Why wasn't Hogan here? It all ends up fitting so perfect to me.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Watch Hogan's television debut for WCW at the Clash of the Champions that had Flair/Sting unifying the WCW/International World titles (25? 26?). The Reception from the crowd probably wasn't what WCW had hoped for. Granted, it was in a typical southern JCP/WCW/NWA stronghold (Charleston, South Carolina?). Not a good idea, they should have had him debut in a slightly more neutral area, like Florida or something, he was very popular at Bash at the Beach in Orlando for his in-ring debut.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I've just got beyond this point on the Network. So the right thing to do. Babyface Hogan was just not working.
    It started off fairly well with the Flair feud. The feud with Vader was a massive disappointment though. The stuff with The Butcher and the Three Faces of Fear was terrible, as was everything with the Dungeon of Doom. Hogan's WCW run went from good/decent to bad in 6 months, and from there it only got worse culminating with that horse shit triple cage thing.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I only started with the first Nitro in September 1995, so I haven't seen the stuff before it. I will check it out at some point though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    You have lots of Hogan vs. Dungeon of Doom stuff ahead of you then, congrats. Tell the Yeti hello..

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Anyone think Nash and Hall tried to get Michaels with them? I'm sure Vince had HBK locked down. Imagine it being Michaels instead of Hogan?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Yeah, prety sure it's common knowledge that Michaels wanted to go. I think he asked for his release, actually. Not sure when that was though, as Michaels was very much number 1 in WWE at the time Hall and Nash left, so this may have come later.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    The most known instance of Michaels wanting out is after the HBK/Hitman fight in (I believe) Hartford, CT the night after KOTR 1996. Word was that Hart ripped out a chunk of his hair during the brawl, HBK stormed into Vince's office, threw the lump of hair on his desk and said he wanted out of his WWF contract. He was locked into a 2-3 year deal though and could just choose to either wrestle for the WWF or sit at home for those years.

/Meant KOTR 1997 of course.
    Last edited by OD50; July 8th, 2016 at 9:16 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I remember Vince Russo saying something like "Bischoff can just scratch his ass in Macy's windows.." or something (weird), as to him signing HBK to WCW.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Wonder what he'd have been called over there?

That's surely the reason 'Taker never wanted to leave. Where do you go after that gimmick? I guess we'd probably have just seen the biker gimmick earlier.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt WWE owned the Shawn Michaels name since he was using it before he went there. Even if they did he could just legally change his name to Shawn Michaels. Can't stop someone from using their own name. Couldn't use "Heartbreak Kid," but that wouldn't have been a big deal.

Shawn in the NWO would have been pretty amazing. Hogan was the right third man because it set wrestling on fire, but Shawn probably would have been the second best option. Imagine the matches he would have had against Savage, Sting, Luger, Giant.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Anyone think Nash and Hall tried to get Michaels with them? I'm sure Vince had HBK locked down. Imagine it being Michaels instead of Hogan?

It would not have worked as well or had the impact.

like him or not as an in ring performer, Hogan was and with the possible exeception of the Rock, remains the largest and by far most recognizable figure in the history of professional wrestling.

his being the third man and becoming 'bad' made the nWo huge and mainstream... -
    any other third man - Sting, Michaels, Stunning Steve Austin, etc. and it just would've been another wrestling angle forgotten in the depths of PWI and WCW Video Vaults like the Shockmaster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the NWO would have been "forgotten" with Shawn, but Hogan was definitely the biggest splash they could make.

I remember reading that Sting was the other option as the third man. So glad that didn't happen.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Shawn has said multiple times there was a point, not sure WHEN, but he wanted to leave and go be with Nash, Hall, and Waltman down in WCW and Vince talked him out of it saying WCW would not know how to use or deal with a Shawn Michaels. And that was that. I do still have a copy of I THINK it's called The WRESTLER where Shawn is wearing an Outsiders shirt a fan gave him to wear at a house show.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Wonder what he'd have been called over there?

That's surely the reason 'Taker never wanted to leave. Where do you go after that gimmick? I guess we'd probably have just seen the biker gimmick earlier.
    SUPPOSEDLY, according to Kevin Nash, the reason he went with the biker gimmick is because he was going to possibly leave the WWF and go to WCW. He (Taker) would not have been able to use The Undertaker gimmick so he wanted to get this biker thing established. Whether that's true I don't know and it seems odd considering the fact WCW wasn't exactly thriving when he did change.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with anyone but Hogan as the leader of the NWO is that they never could have been booked strong if they were going against Hogan. Hogan would have beaten all of them in a 10-on-1 cage match and killed their heat. The reason they could run so strong for so long was that Hogan was in there. Otherwise it would have just been another heel team for Hogan to run through.

Taker in WCW is an interesting counterfactual. Obviously The Undertaker gimmick is trademarked by the WWF, so he can't do that. The WCW thing to do probably would have just to call him Mark Calaway (or maybe Mark Callous, or something a little cooler sounding) and have him be Biker Taker. That was what they did with almost everybody they brought over from the WWF, just had them wrestle under their real name (Hall, Nash, Bossman, Crush, Perfect).

You also could have called him The Reaper or something.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great point about Hogan. The nWo angle would have been wrapped up by Starrcade at the latest had Hogan been the one leading the charge against them. No Crow Sting, no great heel in Hogan, Hall and Nash were not enough to turn the tide. I mean look at who WCW already had and the numbers were definitely better than say 1992 but if Flair, Savage, Hogan, or even the highly recognizable midcarders who came over like Earthquake, Brutus Beefcake, Big Bossman, if they weren't really moving the needle then I don't think Hall and Nash would have been able to help WCW whip the WWF's ass as long as they did.

I don't think Sting as a heel would have been as effective. It would have worked, he probably would have been a "cool heel" for sure because nobody has ever truly wanted to boo Sting, look at his 2 failed heel turns in WCW and TNA. But Hogan being in the mix, like you said Law, it not only helped creatively but also backstage politics wise.

And doesn't it seem odd that if true, the Undertaker would be looking to go to WCW when the WWF was so red hot at the time and WCW was pretty fucking terrible and was losing a shit ton of money at this time, losing a shit ton of talent as well.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    WCW signed up pretty much any WWF "star" they could get their hands on back in the early 90's; Davey Boy Smith, Big Bossman, Rick Rude, Billy Jack Haynes, One Man Gang, Paul Roma, Paul Orndorff, Hercules, Jake The Snake, Junkyard Dog, Ricky Steamboat, Sid etc. Don't think anyone made much of a change in eyeballs until Hogan came in.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant4Ever View Post
    I don't think the NWO would have been "forgotten" with Shawn, but Hogan was definitely the biggest splash they could make.

I remember reading that Sting was the other option as the third man. So glad that didn't happen.
    That would've made no sense as he'd never been to the WWF so I'm sure it was their second choice.

The other choice that I always thought odd right from the git-go was putting Macho-Man in as a WCW representive instead of Flair, Mr NWA/WCW...

Not only does this make more sense from the initial 'team' aspect, but it would save Savage to be another prime WWE guy to be #4 nWo member instead of The Giant

Again, maybe I just expect wrestling to make some logical sense.....

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by NWo4LifeOr2Years View Post
    Not only does this make more sense from the initial 'team' aspect, but it would save Savage to be another prime WWE guy to be #4 nWo member instead of The Giant
    Ted Dibiase was nWo member #4. And that's basically why The Giant joined the group. They were doing Ted and Andre...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy that Hogan's heel turn was 20 years ago. Feels like I just watched it a couple weeks ago.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DiBiase really didn't fit in at all. They have this gang vibe, and here's Million Dollar Man. Barely remember him being in the group, he never got to do anything. He was brought in as a mouthpiece for a group that had three great talkers in it. And then to compound things they ended up having Bischoff be the leader (not sure if that was always the plan or not).

Giant was fine in there, but not really necessary. Might have been better if he had just been a WCW crusader. Fans really would have gotten behind him. They did have the narrative problem of him having to lose the title to Hogan and then not go after it right away though. He probably should have just not been champion at that point, things would have worked better with Flair as champ (Flair vs. Hogan for the title at Hog Wild).

Luger wouldn't have set things on fire as the third man, but he was a logical choice too. Him getting injured in the match at Bash at the Beach seemed like it was setting up him coming back and being the third man.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    They really went overboard with the nWo members, they should have kept it more "elite". WCW should have been represented by Sting, Luger, The Giant, Flair and the Steiner Brothers, the nWo by Hall, Nash, Hogan, Syxx, Savage and one more former "WWF guy", maybe Mr Perfect. Would have kept it proper WCW vs. WWF.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Order_members

By my count, there were 27 original members and 42 when you count every incarnation.

That is absolutely stupid.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you have to remember is that the nWo was not going to simply be just another stable. It was supposed to be essentially what it was, where you had this big army of WCW guys on one side, and a big army of nWo guys on the other. They weren't supposed to be the 4 Horsemen. You go back and watch DVDs like the first Monday night Wars, the nWo DVDs, they talk about how they were going to have their own show, their own roster, etc. So the size of the group, when thinking about the direction they were wanting to go, the numbers aren't that bad.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Savage joining the NWO was one of the dumbest moves they did. It made no sense storyline wise. NWO kept beating him down and they were messing with Elizabeth. Hogan was the one that leg dropped him when he turned heel too.
    Last edited by PurePlayer; July 11th, 2016 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    I think Savage joining the NWO was one of the dumbest moves they did. It made no sense storyline wise. NWO kept beating him down and they were messing with Elizabeth. Hogan was the one that leg dropped him when he turned heel too.
    Yeah when it happened I was like....uhhhh. But it was that whole "if you can't beat them join them" mentality and it sold the fact that anyone could still join no matter what.

I think the big myth about the nWo was that if you were part of the group your stock elevated. I didn't think any differently about guys like IRS, Scott Norton, Virgil, and a few others who joined. I think sometimes it watered down the character, the angle.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, he stopped being Randy Savage after that. When I think of Savage, I think of the colorful attire, the uncontrollable madman, etc. And his storyline with Sting was going well and then all of a sudden he turned and sided with Hogan for no reason.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Outside of the reason I gave, even that wasn't really cool. I just wonder if Savage wanted to be part of the nWo because of how hot it was getting and he wanted to still have something to do with Hogan. For a guy who hated Hogan so much, he sure fucking worked with him a shit ton.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Savage in the NWO was handled really poorly. They literally never gave any explanation as to why he joined. It did give us that awesome feud with DDP that helped make DDP a star, so that was nice.

I always thought the NWO needed more than just a few guys, but I think there was a compromise between just Hall, Nash, Hogan (and Syxx) and what they ended up doing. Should have been more selective about who was allowed to join. No IRS, no Buff Bagwell, no Virgil. It made sense for them to have numbers, if they're taking on all of WCW they need more than just three guys.

Bossman would have made sense as their security/enforcer guy if they had him in SWAT gear like he wore in his second WWF run. Konnan was a good addition, gave the group some street cred. Hennig was a weird fit, probably would have been better sticking with the Horsemen. I probably would have put Luger in there before Giant or Savage, Luger was a better fit for a second banana role. Scott Norton probably should have been exclusive to NWO Japan, he was a much bigger success over there.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11 years ago today Edge finally recieved that ass kicking he ordered three months prior.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet Edge got the last laugh.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really helped Edge a lot more than it helped Matt. It gave a ton of legit heel heat, not just wrestling heel heat but actual "Fuck this guy. Hes a dick" heel heat to a dude that WWE just so happened to be pushing as a top heel at that time. Things really could not have worked out better for Edge in that regard.

As for Matt. Well he got to be the center of attention for a little while anyway.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    It really helped Edge a lot more than it helped Matt. It gave a ton of legit heel heat, not just wrestling heel heat but actual "Fuck this guy. Hes a dick" heel heat to a dude that WWE just so happened to be pushing as a top heel at that time. Things really could not have worked out better for Edge in that regard.

As for Matt. Well he got to be the center of attention for a little while anyway.
    It wasn't that Edge won the blowoff match it was the fact they did jack shit with Hardy when he went to Smackdown.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Matt Hardy, coming off that big win in the cage at Unforgiven, he was mega over imo. Now, here's a story I've heard. An idea that was kicked around, per Matt himself, was that due to Batista getting hurt, Eddie Guerrero was going to win the title in a triple threat with Orton and Batista and then move on to a program with Matt. Obviously due to Eddie's untimely passing that was obviously scrapped. And then there's Survivor Series that year where Taker came out and chokeslammed all these lower card guys and Matt was supposed to be one of them....Seeing as Matt felt he was above the guys getting waxed-which he was-he bounced out of the ring before Taker could chokeslam and Matt caught some heat.

IMHO, they were probably never going to do much with him. He did what everyone else has pretty much done, left, talked some shit, then ultimately came back. So who really won? I'm sure financially Matt is bitching, but you know Vince was like "Got me another one!" I think it makes Vince happier to get a talent who parted ways on bad terms to come back than to use that talent to the fullest he can. Not everytime, but I mean look at Brock, first match back, dominates Cena only to do the job.

That return was the shit.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading the same story around the time when Eddie died. It made sense at the time.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. The matches would have been great, Eddie would have carried the verbal as Matt's good on the mic but as a face he's pretty average. Cocky V1 Matt Hardy, the Icon Matt Hardy in ROH, what we've seen since he returned to TNA, that's just printing money on the mic. Outside of V1 he never really impressed me on the mic, but he was better than Jeff so he stood out.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Eddie would have done amazing work with anyone. I am sure he would have gotten a great program out of random fans in the audience at that point. As bad as I am your Papi was. He was so electric in it. God, I miss him.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

On this Day In Wrestling

A thread to post about some of the great moments of the past.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    29 years ago today: 1 13 19

That coward Jannetty tried to dive through the barbershop window to get away from Shawn.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking phenomenal. I remember having that WWF magazine, I remember watching this and telling my mom and cousin who were big fans of The Rockers that Shawn turned on Marty and how he did it....They started crying I think lol.

Honestly....For people my age this was the greatest turn ever until Hollywood Hogan. It wasn't even a big shock to me at this age, it was simply the brutality of the turn. This helped Shawn tremendously and I'm sad Marty was not able to reach a similar level.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    29 years ago today: 1 13 19

That coward Jannetty tried to dive through the barbershop window to get away from Shawn.

heh a rewriting wrestling history could be a fun thread.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

R-Truth and Brock Lesnar meet and hint at future angles 1 year ago today.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Too bad Marty couldn't capitalize on this like Shawn did. Such a great segment.

I was fucking hyped when Jannetty made his return and attacked Shawn.

I begged and pleaded my parents to get me Rumble 93. As far as PPVs go I had seen some on VHS but Rumble 93 was the very first PPV I got to see live. My dad had to get his brother, my Uncle Pat, to order it because we couldn't get PPV where I lived at the time.

Such a awesome night. I remember my Father and my two Uncles cheering more and more for Bob Backlund as the Rumble unfolded and them being disappointed when Bob finally got tossed.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    Such a awesome night. I remember my Father and my two Uncles cheering more and more for Bob Backlund as the Rumble unfolded and them being disappointed when Bob finally got tossed.
    I wonder if there is anyone else around here with some Bob Backlund connections?

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    met him once and he gave me his card

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I wonder if there is anyone else around here with some Bob Backlund connections?
    I know a guy who knows a guy.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fucking phenomenal. I remember having that WWF magazine, I remember watching this and telling my mom and cousin who were big fans of The Rockers that Shawn turned on Marty and how he did it....They started crying I think lol.

Honestly....For people my age this was the greatest turn ever until Hollywood Hogan. It wasn't even a big shock to me at this age, it was simply the brutality of the turn. This helped Shawn tremendously and I'm sad Marty was not able to reach a similar level.
    I miss when heel turns really felt like a big deal. The chyna double turn at Mania 15, with Hunter joining the corporation really got me ANGRY, especially since they turned on X-pac.

Hell, the build to Rock/corporations turning at Deadly Games was my firest real "heel turn" and that blew my 8-year-old mind.

That deadly games turn led to the insane build for Mania 15 months later and made foley and rock absolute mega stars

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were both tired of having the same haircut.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    I miss when heel turns really felt like a big deal. The chyna double turn at Mania 15, with Hunter joining the corporation really got me ANGRY, especially since they turned on X-pac.

Hell, the build to Rock/corporations turning at Deadly Games was my firest real "heel turn" and that blew my 8-year-old mind.

That deadly games turn led to the insane build for Mania 15 months later and made foley and rock absolute mega stars
    I'll be a mark and say that because of Montreal and then Starrcade 1997, I wasn't feeling the swerve at Deadly Games.

Then the next month you had my man Nash end the streak, only to get finger doomed a week or two later. It was a bad time for me as a fan lol.

With all of that said as it pertains to The Rock, everything worked out. I loved The Rock v. Mankind going back to the random IYH match they had back in 1997. Triple H, The Rock, and Mankind had amazing chemistry which is why they were so successful when Austin was out from late 1999 into Fall 2000. It's no wonder they fucked up WCW so hard.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'll be a mark and say that because of Montreal and then Starrcade 1997, I wasn't feeling the swerve at Deadly Games.

Then the next month you had my man Nash end the streak, only to get finger doomed a week or two later. It was a bad time for me as a fan lol.

With all of that said as it pertains to The Rock, everything worked out. I loved The Rock v. Mankind going back to the random IYH match they had back in 1997. Triple H, The Rock, and Mankind had amazing chemistry which is why they were so successful when Austin was out from late 1999 into Fall 2000. It's no wonder they fucked up WCW so hard.
    See, i literally started watching in fall of 98, so deadly games was the first heel turn i ever experienced.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nice. Fall of 92 is when I started watching full time. I had seen wrestling but hadn't taken the full plunge yet. Mr. Perfect was my first face turn. Followed by Jimmy Hart, Razor and Luger.

I'm trying to think of heel turns in 93 but I can't recall any until Owen Hart at Survivor Series 93. I guess that would be my first. Helluva first.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a fan since approx 1990 but didn’t get acquainted with WCW until 1996. First heel turn there for me was Hogan.

My god the garbage! Don’t think I’ve ever seen so much trash thrown in the ring ever lol!