User Tag List

Thread: Punk/Ska Rock

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Punk/Ska Rock

Sort of making a bit of a resurgence on the live scene with the 40 years of punk and ska crack. Loads of Punk/ska bands getting good festival dates and playing decent gigs. I noticed Madness are playing a lot, The Damned, UK Subs, Sham 69, the Dickies, Ruts DC all going strong, The Members reformed (I booked them for a gig last month - was quality), PiL if you count them have a new album and are playing decent gigs again, Jimmy Cliff, Lee Perry, Stiff Little Fingers etc have always went strong.

A lot of ska, punk tributes playing the local scenes as well as a few new original bands creeping in. A bit Punk show of course suffers from not having the main players around - Sex pistols could do a tour but they always seem to end up farcical, Ramones and The Clash can't due to dead members.

So anyone into Punk/Ska scenes, the original scenes were well before my time but where I live has always been very into this scene (Toy Dolls, Angelic Upstarts are from here among a few others) so I well got into it when I was first out drinking and gigging, seen most of the bands, put a few on as well.

Some great music, very raw and to the bone at times, has it divisions that let it down of course (nazi wankers) but overall its one of the best scenes music has produced.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    Ever heard of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones?

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The Bosstones are one of my all time favorites to this day, probably because they're heavier than most of the bouncy happy ska bands. I love ska live but most of the bands blend together for me.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The Impression That I Get" is the one song that will lift me out of any foul mood I'm in. Love it.

Growing up, Tony Hawks Pro Skater and Digital music channels like P-Rock and Kerrang pretty much shaped an era of my music tastes, putting me onto bands like Rancid, Bad Religion, King Prawn, Pennywise, Gold Finger, The Vandals, Millencolin, Less Than Jake, NOFX etc, combine that with discovering the movie BASEketball and Reel Big Fish, plus I went to school with a band called Hedroom who toured with Spunge... it was all I ever listened to between the ages of 14 and 17.

I've recently got back into it, but have no idea what's current or good anymore. So on Spotify it's just pure nostalgia.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Ever heard of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones?
    Yeah, they are pretty good. Sort of a mixture between Ska and Pop Punk, interesting little genre - upbeat and fun though, you'll get no complaints from me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Plasma View Post
    "The Impression That I Get" is the one song that will lift me out of any foul mood I'm in. Love it.

Growing up, Tony Hawks Pro Skater and Digital music channels like P-Rock and Kerrang pretty much shaped an era of my music tastes, putting me onto bands like Rancid, Bad Religion, King Prawn, Pennywise, Gold Finger, The Vandals, Millencolin, Less Than Jake, NOFX etc, combine that with discovering the movie BASEketball and Reel Big Fish, plus I went to school with a band called Hedroom who toured with Spunge... it was all I ever listened to between the ages of 14 and 17.

I've recently got back into it, but have no idea what's current or good anymore. So on Spotify it's just pure nostalgia.
    Theres still a few Pop Punk bands doing well. Its sort of moved past what it was in the early 00s, added a bit of Nu Metal and Hip Hop in some of them, I guess Paramore and Macklemore, All Time Low, Panic At The Disco - not really my scene tbh, I prefer the proper 70s punk (either side of the Atlantic).

For the heavier punk bands, I honestly have come across an original one (that is any good) probably ever in this millennium, I'm not sure if its a style of music that can be recaptured - it was very politically fueled, had its own sub-culture, had its own fashion etc I sometime run music hstory nights and the punk scene always keeps me interested - it had so many sub genres in that era that all intermingled - British Punk, American Punk, Oi Punk, Ska, Rocksteady, Reggae , Hardcore Punk, Afro-punk etc which then moved out nto its own sub-genres inspiring Glam-punk, Skate-punk, Riot Grrrl, Garage-punk and grunge.

Punk itself also came from a very mod background infusing that style with the Caribbean styles of music. Add in how politically charged it was and fashion orientated I just don't see anything like that ever being replicated again.

Award Winning Radishes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always associate this music with the summer. Similar to Clive with the Tony Hawk games, there was a few years of our late teens we embraced this music, growing up in a tiny village but there was loads of us, so it was a lot of driving around in VWs getting beer and weed, setting up camp sites, playing this and just having a great time.

It wasn't until I went to uni and got the chance to see a Spunge gig I thought I was too old for this. At 21, standing at the back of an auditorium, arms-folded, all the kids (my mates) bouncing into each other while I'm standing watch with all the other dads. There was a lot of parents.

It's definitely a soundtrack for summery, outdoorsy, boozy, driving fun.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd bump this for you Chatty. Since you made this post I've been on a bit of a hunt for Punk, whether it be pop-punk or gritty styled stuff.

A lot of these are worth a listen; http://www.punktastic.com/radar/top-...s-of-the-year/ - Coathangers, Dirty Nil and Pup especially.

And Pitchfork did this collection, which is also worth a poke; http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1390-t...lbums-of-2016/

And this one at the half way point; http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1208-t...f-2016-so-far/ - Particular highlight in here is Goggs. They're class.

As for new Punk I've been listening to, here are just a few of the bands (not all new);

Whores
    Angel Du$t
    Spoilers
    Pkew Pkew Pkew
    Pup
    The Dirty Nil
    Milk Teeth
    Pretty Vicious
    Touche Amore
    Scraper
    Anxiety
    Goggs
    Meatbodies
    Frameworks
    Black Mamba Fever
    The Coathangers
    Greys
    Metz
    The Men
    Frank Carter

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Got tickets to the Bosstones 20th anniversary tour of Let's Face It.

Totally going to lose my shit still thinking I'm a 12 year old. That album was everything.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    God damn it I'm old, aren't I?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the Flatliners new album any good? I kind of went off them when they seemed to slow down.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    lol ska

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How about I skank all over you?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You wouldn't want to mess up your fedora.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    Is the Flatliners new album any good? I kind of went off them when they seemed to slow down.
    I like it, it's very poppy though. This is banging though;

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My absolute favorite band ever is The Wonder Years. They've kind of evolved out of the pop punk stuff but you all should check em out if you haven't heard em.

I'd link but I'm on my phone

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like them, not as much as Dirty Nil, Pup, Flatliners, Menzingers, but they're in the same camp. Good sound.

Pup announced they're playing Trafalgar Square for Canada Day on July 1st. Should be decent.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wonder years dropped a new single today...has some Bayside vibes. I fucking love it. Tis called sister cities (same as their new album)

Once again I'd link it but I'm on my phone

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordo View Post
    The wonder years dropped a new single today...has some Bayside vibes. I fucking love it. Tis called sister cities (same as their new album)

Once again I'd link it but I'm on my phone
    Got a flip phone?

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I copy the link it doesn't embed it in the post. It's just a link.

Well it used to do that.

There it is.

I'm an idiot.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I haven't been able to get into The Wonder Years like I feel like should, but that song's a banger so I'm gonna give the album a shot.

The latest Menzingers album is fantastic.

Brian Fallon has some new stuff out:

Same two chord progressions and structures and melodies he's been using for ten fucking years. Boring, and I love The Gaslight Anthem but it'd be nice if he switched SOMETHING up at some point. The Horrible Crowes album was great but he went back to doing the same shit over and over again.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may of cried a bit when I finally got to see the wonder years live.

They have definitely grown up but I managed to find them at exactly the right moment in my life and the first three albums were about themes I was facing as they came out. As a result I'll probably love everything they do forever.

I really need to dive into the menzingers. Everything I've heard I've liked a lot.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines

Lostboys, lostboys, lostboys - nevergetold

Because this song by Squad Five-O is pretty good. Not because it's about being a non-vampire Lost Boy with a home-made vampiric Lost Boys MV.
    Last edited by Horatio; March 28th, 2024 at 11:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    And for an actual music-video, there's:

Lugnut are still my favorite band to say even though you know .. they're not the best, or together anymore. I'll still say LUGNUT RULES.

The punk rock story goes that Squad sold Lugnut a van to tour in, and it suck'd. Broke down. Couldn't get fix'd. Got fix'd. Broke again. That's so true.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    As if unoriginal, second-hand, mid-grade pop-punk wasn't infectious enough, The Swellers went revive'd the genre just over ten years ago and today it's still the same infectious heartbreaker that breaks the heart when all pop-punk plays. Seriously, this song makes me weep inside and the only lyrics I remember are in the title...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    To justify my awful decision to share Squad Five-O, I give you "California" by ........ Squad Five-O:

Last edited by Horatio; March 30th, 2024 at 8:50 PM. Reason: hey, at least it's ska-core..

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    hey, remember SoCal's The Dingees? When it comes to Punk/Ska Rock, there's Op Ivy and then there's The Dingees. TRULY.

They do an interview with Mike Herrera of MxPx (when it comes to punk rock, there's few lyrical philosopher's quite like Mike Herrera; over the years, he's stay'd on top of things).

It's a cool interview. They talk about the fire in Hawaii last August and things look like they're gonna shut down at the 20 minute mark, but instead they keep talking for about another half hour.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Mxpx. Not too familiar with their new stuff, but this oldie has lyrics that I've never forgotten: "...employ, don't enjoy your state. Common goals, communicate to contemplate, the way things are and why; don't pawn your status-quo problems off on the other guy..." Looking back, it's hard to believe they were just a couple years outta highschool when this album came out. What I do know about their new stuff is people still love it and from what I hear Mike is still masterfully challenging "bad days" by writing about his life.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Badassery from the new The Dingees EP Dropseeds. Has an almost weightless feel to it. The Dingees have always mix'd the punk/ska/reggae in a way that is different from Rancid or The Suicide Machines, although on paper I guess it all looks the same; this E.P. seems more spiritual in sound. By the time track 4 is done, I'm not sure how to describe what I've heard and it's not even a 2-minute track. I've move'd on from the religious stuff, but I'm sold on The Dingees havveing a majorly social conscience that needs to be heard the same as any other band.

"Wild Wind" - https://youtu.be/FlVOl24BynY?si=7ltI5Nev0bxEe_2V

Old school badassery from The Dingees:

Interestingly, there's an album missing from their youtube page, and they also add'd "Bulletproof" to A.M. which I don't remember being on that album originally. Cool stuff.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines

On the Fugazi-esque side of the punk world, Desaparecidos still rock. I guess they sign'd with Epitaph for the second one? I don't know, I had their first one Read Music/Speak Spanish in highschool. This video reminds me of everything I love about America, or at least, the United States World I grew up in.