User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: The 2016 Baseball Thread

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have it, Except Mine is better. Real leather and Cubic Zirconia's.

Just need those side plates!!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Bryant is wearing the wwe title as we speak.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Cubs in 7
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    Wrong as always Fro
    classic Fro-kdestiny interaction

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Kdest is a huge cardinals fan so anything to do with the cubs is always going to be negative towards them.

That is not saying anything bad btw. Huge rivalry between cubs and cards so you stand by your fucking team and go.

Ps: GO CUBS GO

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    classic Fro-kdestiny interaction

Typical Fro

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some thoughts since I was gone when the Series ended:

Excellent series. I'm glad to hear they did 40 million viewers for game 7. That's a huge number given how much baseball has fallen out of popularity lately. Some people have gone overboard in saying game 7 was the best baseball game ever- it wasn't, but it was one of the best of this century. Sports theater at its finest. Some bad managing by Maddon, though - he was lucky they got the W or else would be blamed like crazy.

Theo Epstein is an all time legend. Everyone already said it beforehand, that if he did it with the Cubs after doing it with the Red Sox and broke the 2 biggest curses in American sports he'd be an all timer, and now it's reality. He made it look easy both times. He's a 1st ballot hall of famer (not sure how that works with executives in terms of eligibility) and a living legend. He's dropping F-bombs on TV and spraying champagne with Bill Murray. What a guy.

It's funny how Cleveland came back from 3-1 in the NBA Finals and blew a 3-1 lead in the World Series. Fitting turn.

Lester is a legend now too with his 3 rings and 2.63 playoff ERA but his deficiency when it comes to fielding and throwing to bases is hysterical. It's preposterous to be that good at throwing a ball to home plate and that bad doing anything else with the same ball.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some thoughts since I was gone when the Series ended:

Excellent series. I'm glad to hear they did 40 million viewers for game 7. That's a huge number given how much baseball has fallen out of popularity lately. Some people have gone overboard in saying game 7 was the best baseball game ever- it wasn't, but it was one of the best of this century. Sports theater at its finest. Some bad managing by Maddon, though - he was lucky they got the W or else would be blamed like crazy.

Theo Epstein is an all time legend. Everyone already said it beforehand, that if he did it with the Cubs after doing it with the Red Sox and broke the 2 biggest curses in American sports he'd be an all timer, and now it's reality. He made it look easy both times. He's a 1st ballot hall of famer (not sure how that works with executives in terms of eligibility) and a living legend. He's dropping F-bombs on TV and spraying champagne with Bill Murray. What a guy.

It's funny how Cleveland came back from 3-1 in the NBA Finals and blew a 3-1 lead in the World Series. Fitting turn.

Lester is a legend now too with his 3 rings and 2.63 playoff ERA but his deficiency when it comes to fielding and throwing to bases is hysterical. It's preposterous to be that good at throwing a ball to home plate and that bad doing anything else with the same ball.

For the sports theater aspect, I look at game seven like a Taker Streak match. Let's use Taker/Trips in the cell. It's got everything: crazy false finishes that make no sense to kick out of (superkick into pedigree ffs), the drama of how long the streak has lasted, finishers all over the place and for some reason a hairless Taker. It couldn't have been designed to be more entertaining and engaging. Hell, the year before Taker was carted off like the Cubs were in the playoffs against the Mets. It all made the drama of the comeback so sweet. Then it ends with Shawn in Bill Murray's place and everyone leaving happy.

Bill Murray/Taker was still a better match, but the drama was so perfect that it goes among the all time greats.

Hell, the Trips tombstone from the year before even feels like the Rajai Davis bomb.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Nerd

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Kate Upton really standing up for her man not getting the Cy.

It is a good question though how two people leave him completely off the ballot. (Not that I think them putting him on would be enough for him to win)

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick Porcello AL Cy Young. Who would have thunk it. You could have given me 1,000 to 1 odds at the beginning of the season and I wouldn't have taken it.

I suppose making the playoffs was the main factor that put Porcello over the top, plus the 22 wins.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Kate Upton really standing up for her man not getting the Cy.

It is a good question though how two people leave him completely off the ballot. (Not that I think them putting him on would be enough for him to win)
    The crazy thing about Verlander's year is he had two games where he gave up 7 earned runs and one with 8 earned runs. And he still finished with a 3.04 ERA and 1.00 WHIP.

It's not fair to put it this way at all, but take those out and he's at a 2.31 ERA and right in line with his MVP year and the follow up year when he should have beaten Price.

Interestingly, Cleveland accounted for two of those three games and have for some reason always hit him over his career.

Great year for Porcello, though. Nice to see it all come together after following him for so long.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't fair because you would have to take away every pitcher's two worst starts out of their ERA but I see your point nonetheless. And no he shouldn't have beaten Price that year.

Porcello won from having a whole bunch of second place votes which is interesting. He is deserving but the fact that we seem to have gone backwards and having wins count for so much in this award is not great. Kluber and Justin were just as good if not better.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verlander shouldn't have beaten Ellsbury for the MVP. And now if he's giving up 7 or 8 runs in single games, it's easy to see why he wasn't Cy Young caliber.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And he still had a lower era with more innings, strikeouts and a better whip than Rick with those games included.

If, for example, Rick had those games, his era goes over 4.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verlander didn't inspire his offense to score runs the same way Porcello did. Intangibles like that don't show up on the stat sheet.

And the differences in innings pitches (4 more innings for Verlander) and WHIP (.01 difference) were essentially zero. ERA 3.15 vs 3.04 also negligible. I would have voted for the guy with 6 more wins and 5 fewer losses who led his team to a division title.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    ^^^ So much this ^^^

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Inspired his offense to score runs?"

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why don't you change your avatar back to kate upton since you and her have the same baseball IQ

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and you're both adept at sucking Verlander's dick

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only he'd let me.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol

I will say that I love Kate Upton sticking up for her man. Having her as wifey is as good as it gets. That's why Verlander doesn't need any more awards, his life is already good enough. Plus he won MVP as a pitcher when guys like Pedro never were allowed to so he can't complain. A championship ring is the only thing he needs to make his life complete.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Dombrowski were still there, that would be possible.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    And Trout rightfully wins. I was worried it was going to be Betts, which more would have been annoying to have the MVP in the division.

Cruiserweight Champion
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's even more annoying is the Toronto fans.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    We have gotten pretty annoying I won't lie.

But as a Sox fan you really can't talk about annoying fans.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Yeah you sox and blue jay fans are pretty annoying.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No lockout... the players and owners reached a deal on a new 5-year CBA. Some details:

All Star game will no longer determine World Series home field advantage (hooray).

Smokeless tobacco will be banned for all new big leaguers (this is a weird one... so existing players and I assume managers will still be able to chew but rookies will be punished for chewing? that's very strange and difficult to enforce).

The regular season will lengthen from 183 days to 187 starting in 2018, creating four more scheduled off days during the regular season. (ugh. I assume this means the World Series will be even later in the year. nothing like playing a sport in warm weather for 95% of the season then having the championship determined in freezing temps)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    My hope is they start earlier and use Domed and southern teams to host the first week. That is they way they used to do it and it worked great because they did not lose games in the first month. The problem is the northern teams started to complain about not getting opening day at home. I dont get that argument though because I think the home opener sells no matter if it is April 1 or April 10.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. 1 more thing: the DL will be lowered to a minimum of 10 days instead of 15. I like that.

Jon Lester with the tweet of the day:

While my efforts to eliminate pitchers from having to throw to 1B didnt pass, I'm proud of the PA & Owners for coming together on a new CBA!

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot stove season is upon us. The Chris Sale sweepstakes is heating up. Reports that the National and Red Sox are both trying to get deals done. I would love to have an ace like him but I'm a little frightened by what we might give up.

I also read a report that the Nationals are preparing to move on from Bryce Harper when his contract is up in 2 years because he's seeking 10 years/$400 million. Yeesh. It's very possible though since a lot of guys are already over the $30 million threshold.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Fuck me. Sale to the Red Sox.

Fuccccckkkkkk. Sure it was a big deal going the other way. But that doesn't matter for next season. Easy AL favourites now.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHEWWWWWWW

love it. Sale is under contract for the next 3 years at only $12, 12.5 and 15 million. the kid Moncada we're giving up is supposed to be really good but I'll gladly deal some top prospects for an ace.

Sale, Porcello, Price. That's a championship caliber starting rotation. plus they also traded for RP Tyler Thornburg to shore up the back of the bullpen. they still need another bat but they don't need to go all out for Edwin Encarnacion. although I wouldn't hate it.

good work by Davey Dombrowski on this one. maybe one day we'll look back on it when Moncada is the next Manny Machado and say he did it again (dealing away prospects to win now) but I think he did good on this one.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one more thing. the Red Sox of late seem to be great at developing position players but very poor at developing pitchers. so this deal where you're trading an elite positional prospect for Sale is the type of trade they need to make to balance out their drafting deficiency.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean Sale and Porcello in the playoffs. Price has been pretty useless in the postseason.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed but I'll take him as my #3 starter in the playoffs. I think he can still buck that trend. my bigger concern is that he was utterly mediocre during the regular season last year.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed but I'll take him as my #3 starter in the playoffs. I think he can still buck that trend. my bigger concern is that he was utterly mediocre during the regular season last year.
    He just needs that 1 decent playoff start. he just never seems to get out of the first couple innings without a problem

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    He just needs that 1 decent playoff start. he just never seems to get out of the first couple innings without a problem
    Against the Royals in 2015 he started off very well. Got through 6 only giving up 1 single, no walks. Then came the botched pop-up in the 7th and things turned. Real quick.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck the Red Sox

The David Price playoff thing I think is him being victim to the playoff's small sample sizes. He isn't suddenly morphing into a 5+ ERA pitcher soley because the calendar turns to October. He has been unlucky, he has been hurt by an inflated HR/FB rate, and as natural for baseball fans having literally a handful of poor playoff outings gets you branded as a horrible postseason pitcher. Also in 2013 he pitched an complete game gem vs Texas in what was basically a playoff game (Game 163) but that doesn't get added to his stats or mentioned.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    WELCOME BACK AROLDIS!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Now Miami will back up the truck for Jensen.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Iscariot View Post
    WELCOME BACK AROLDIS!
    have fun with that contract

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm not paying it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But the team you like are and it's going to hurt them.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    have fun with that contract
    There's an opt out after year three. That should help.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume it's a player opt out though. So it doesn't really help the club.

It's a lot of money for a reliever but given that players are making $30 million now, it's not the worst deal ever.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume it's a player opt out though. So it doesn't really help the club.

It's a lot of money for a reliever but given that players are making $30 million now, it's not the worst deal ever.
    Oh yeah it's not the worst but I think that money is better spent getting a couple starters. Also, I don't think a big reliever contract ever worked out.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Looks like St Louis will end up with Fowler.

I'm fine with that.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Awfully nice of cardinal fans to wake him up on an airplane to find out if he signed with them or not.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    He is a hot commodity this off season.

At least it's not Jon Jay

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    The point is....what dickheads they are. Show some respect.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by virmicious View Post
    The point is....what dickheads they are. Show some respect.
    Pot, kettle, and all that

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Well in retrospect I guess them just disturbing a man out of a peaceful sleep is better than the racial tirade a bunch of the fans had towards Hayward last year.

Cardinals getting better

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Speaking of which, I'll take Fowler. You enjoy Jason.

Generalizing some fans to be like the rest sounds about right for you too. Keep aiming low virm

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Unfortunately it's not aiming low when you look at what fans have said about choo, oh, the Ferguson deal and Hayward.

That aside how do you feel about Fowler inheriting Big Mac's number? A few peeps seem to be getting into a tizzy over that. I figured it might get retired but I'm sure the steroid thing ruined it.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm fine with it.

You seem to be confusing me with some. I'm not the bottom of the barrel like you are. I don't try to be insufferable.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    How am I being insufferable? It's a hot topic right now.

Like I said, I always thought big Mac would have his number retired. He brought back millions of eyes to baseball and in my opinion is a hell of a guy. Sosa on the other hand got to be a bit of an ass.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Losing Fowler is huge. Cubs definitely are not winning ever again.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by virmicious View Post
    How am I being insufferable? It's a hot topic right now.
    Oh no, it's the other stuff that was insufferable

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND View Post
    Losing Fowler is huge. Cubs definitely are not winning ever again.
    As long as we got heyward to keep batting .200 along with his late inning pep talk we will repeat.

I'm sad to lose Fowler but the outfield is heavy. More future stars on the way as well.

Cubs fans will be giving him a standing O when he comes back to Wrigley.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I highly doubt he gets standing O at Wrigley after signing with the Cardinals.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    I highly doubt he gets standing O at Wrigley after signing with the Cardinals.
    No, but after helping them to a title there is a chance

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Promise they will give him a standing o in his first bat at Wrigley.