Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Cloverfield franchise

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    Yeah, seems that way. The next movie is already wrapped up and due for this coming October.

Expect no mention or appearance of the Clover monster till the very end.
    Why is everyone so obsessed with it being the monster all the time?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because that's what fans of the first film will be looking to see more of. 10 Cloverfield Lane for example was a good movie in its own right, but its not what I was looking for after enjoying the first film. I'd like another found footage film, or one that's more to do with the monster itself.
    I'd have been happier if they had took that recent movie "Life", and repackaged that as a Cloverfield movie. That's not to say its a better or worse movie. Its just that its what I was looking for in a sequel.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Because that's what fans of the first film will be looking to see more of. 10 Cloverfield Lane for example was a good movie in its own right, but its not what I was looking for after enjoying the first film. I'd like another found footage film, or one that's more to do with the monster itself.
    I'd have been happier if they had took that recent movie "Life", and repackaged that as a Cloverfield movie. That's not to say its a better or worse movie. Its just that its what I was looking for in a sequel.
    Do they?

I think people are far more interested in Bad Robot doing the multiverse thing. I reckon you should just stop watching these now cause you are not going to be satisfied ever with the outcome.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    I personally love the first two, but thought Paradox felt like a shitty episode of Black Mirror with some Cloverfield fan service thrown in.

I like the alternate dimensions/multiple timelines stuff, though.
    I think this is a stepping stone to the rest of the multiverse and they can now do whatever they want and just explain it as such. They aren't going to be high concept sci fi movies, if anything, they will be b movies with a bit of cloverfield sprinkled in how they fancy and i for one am down with that.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post
    Do they?

I think people are far more interested in Bad Robot doing the multiverse thing. I reckon you should just stop watching these now cause you are not going to be satisfied ever with the outcome.
    I dunno. Its just a theory going off of what my own expectations were. And I enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane so I don't see why I should stop watching. It wasnt what I expected, but I didn't think it was shit.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    You are allowed to think its shit but if you are waiting for a universe like the MCU or the monster to come back then give up cause thats 100% not where they are going with this.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are allowed to think its shit but if you are waiting for a universe like the MCU or the monster to come back then give up cause thats 100% not where they are going with this.
    Well we know that now. Not sure how many would've made that assumption from just the two previous movies alone.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    They had stated that they were going for a twilight zone style anthology after 10CL. So yes loads of people did.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I read about the franchise was that they were going to make more movies that tied in with each other, without further elaborating on what that meant. I think just reading the general opinion of this latest movie shows that many people were surprised just like I was.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    The only thing I read about the franchise was that they were going to make more movies that tied in with each other, without further elaborating on what that meant. I think just reading the general opinion of this latest movie shows that many people were surprised just like I was.
    Just like the twilight zone, an anthology with sprinkles of cloverfield to relate them.

If you can find a link between Cloverfield and 10CL other than the very subtle hints,which mainly come from the arg, prior to the release of CP then i would be very surprised.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Do you like the other ones?
    Yes. Love the other two.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to be honest, that teaser from the super bowl, with all the footage from the first film and what appears to be a new perspective of the new york incident as well, i'm not surprised if people went into this new one thinking it might be more overtly related to the first film. i know i was kind of taken aback when i saw it during the game cause i was under the impression they had no plans to do a direct sequel or prequel to the monster movie.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like the twilight zone, an anthology with sprinkles of cloverfield to relate them.

If you can find a link between Cloverfield and 10CL other than the very subtle hints,which mainly come from the arg, prior to the release of CP then i would be very surprised.
    Yes, I get that its an anthology now, and that there are very few links between the last two. But it's just two movies. Not everyone is going to make assumptions about the direction of the whole franchise based off of just those two movies, especially casual fans who don't read all the behind the scenes stuff or all the interviews from the directors, producers, etc. I didn't even know anything about this movie besides the title "God Particle". Then out of the blue there's a trailer and two hours later it drops on Netflix.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Yes, I get that its an anthology now, and that there are very few links between the last two. But it's just two movies. Not everyone is going to make assumptions about the direction of the whole franchise based off of just those two movies, especially casual fans who don't read all the behind the scenes stuff or all the interviews from the directors, producers, etc. I didn't even know anything about this movie besides the title "God Particle". Then out of the blue there's a trailer and two hours later it drops on Netflix.
    Its not an assumption when the flat out stated it was an anthology.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Isn't it obvious that they are basically just picking up blacklisted sci-fi films that are struggling to get made, sticking the Cloverfield sticker on it and pretending like it's some sort of intended sequel? That's what happened with the God Particle which ended up becoming The Cloverfield Paradox, and same with the next one that is already filmed 'Overlord'.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not an assumption when the flat out stated it was an anthology.
    And a casual fan like myself isn't going to know or hear everything they've said. Most people just wait for trailers and base their assumptions off that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think this is a stepping stone to the rest of the multiverse and they can now do whatever they want and just explain it as such. They aren't going to be high concept sci fi movies, if anything, they will be b movies with a bit of cloverfield sprinkled in how they fancy and i for one am down with that.
    I liked the way they explained how these movies connect with each other, but I thought the film as a whole was just... not good.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    And a casual fan like myself isn't going to know or hear everything they've said. Most people just wait for trailers and base their assumptions off that.
    Most people are dumb.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people don't care, that's all.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    The sad part is Super 8 was the best version of what Cloverfield is going for.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or "Life" from last year. You could leave it completely untouched and just tell me that's the origin of the monster (especially considering the ending as well), and I'd consider that a better fit for the franchise.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    With this new film, you could basically say any previous monster/alien film could be retconned into the Cloverfield Universe.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the new film wasn't good I did like the alternate reality/dimension concept.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched.

Don't know what some of your issues with the film are, perfectly enjoyable.

As has been said, weakest of the three, but that doesn't make it a bad film, far from. Nice concept, very interesting to see how that ties in, some nice performances, tense, cracking ending. There were some potholes, including the sub-plot on Earth being a bit nothing, the speeches from the lead were a little hammy and the cliche machine was on fire, but all in all a good film. And again, those final scenes were striking.

Twilight Zone, Black Mirror etc. Think of it in more of those terms rather than your bog standard cinematic universe and you'll probably enjoy it more.

Very interested to see how the next one ties in.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently this movie was shot almost entirely about 3-4 years ago, while all the scenes on Earth and the ending were shot last year. Which explains why the subplot looks a bit detached from the rest of the movie.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Apparently this movie was shot almost entirely about 3-4 years ago, while all the scenes on Earth and the ending were shot last year. Which explains why the subplot looks a bit detached from the rest of the movie.
    Just like 10CL, none of this is new.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying it was.