Thread: UFC 195: LAWLER V. CONDIT JANUARY 2ND, 2016

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UFC 195: LAWLER V. CONDIT JANUARY 2ND, 2016

UFC 195: Lawler v. Condit
    Live! Jan 2nd, 2016 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, NV!!

MAIN CARD (PPV)
    UFC Welterweight Championship
    Robbie Lawler v. Carlos Condit

Andrei Arlovski v. Stipe Miocic (HW)
    Kelvin Gastelum v. Kyle Noke (WW)
    Albert Tumenov v. Lorenz Larkin (WW)
    Diego Brandao v. Brian Ortega (FW)

PRELIMS (FOX SPORTS 1)
    Michael McDonald v. Masanori Kanehara (BW)
    Justine Kish v. Nina Ansaroff (SW)
    Drew Dober v. Scott Holtzman (LW)
    Abel Trujillo v. Tony Sims (LW)

PRELIMS (FIGHT PASS)
    Dustin Poirier v. Joseph Duffy (LW)
    Joe Soto v. Michinori Tanaka (BW)
    Edgar Garcia v. Sheldon Westcott (WW)

Pretty solid event. For those that remember this was originally the Rousey-Holms ppv card that was bumped 2 months earlier. Carlos Condit, bring the belt home with you son! My favorite fighter in the UFC, pretty much gifted a title shot after having 1 win since his return after getting injured in that Woodley fight. Make the most of it because I love Lawler as well, dude is such an amazing fighter to witness after watching his MMA career pretty much from day one.

Pulling for Arlovski but with Overeem's recent win I have a feeling even if he wins in impressive fashion he'll get skipped over unless contract renegotiations fall through with Overeem.

DP v. Joseph Duffy on the Fight Pass prelims, at one time that shit was headlining a Fox Sports card just a few months ago, felt it should've been on the Fox Sports prelims or the opener to the ppv.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's going to be your favourite fighter against mine then and I hope mine wins.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Well it's going to be your favourite fighter against mine then and I hope mine wins.
    Any other fighter I'd be rooting 100% for Lawler. I have always liked him, ever since I saw him crush Tiki. And his story is incredible, you don't see a lot of veterans, young veterans, continue to evolve, continue to get better and win a championship in what I personally believe is the most dangerous division out there. So if Condit loses I will still be happy but yeah, I'm hoping the Natural Born Killer walks away with the strap.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easy to underestimate what lawler has done. Even after he has come to the UFC he continues to evolve. Look at that first Hendricks fight vs the second in terms of takedown defence or the striking/durability/stamina in the first Rory fight against the second. Realistically until that head kick changed things he was boxing and moving the shit out of the red King. Yet with all the improvements, unlike Hendricks he hasn't lost the old strengths he has and he still fights wild as fuck.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lawler vs. Condit
    -The Vegas lines have Lawler listed as a slight favorite, but the line in my opinion should be favoring Condit. Lawler has looked absolutely awesome as of late, but Condit is a tough match for Lawler if he can move around, and utilize a lot of his kicks to keep the range from Lawler's boxing.

Lawler's career has been on a resurgence since coming back to the UFC, but I am not convinced or impressed as much as other people are. I have watched Lawler throughout his entire career. Some of his wins as of late have been very close decisions, and the wins he won in convincing fashion have been against like guys Ellenberger whose career is pretty much over. His fight with MacDonald was an absolute war which up until MacDonald's face completely shattered, I had scored in favor of McDonald. MacDonald was also a bad match for Lawler because MacDonald's wrestling (which was his plan B when he was getting tagged in the stand up) was completely ineffective against Lawler who has tremendous takedown defense. Condit won't look to take it to the ground.

I think Carlos Condit is a better overall hybrid mixed martial artist and will come in more prepared for this fight and find a way to win. I confidently predict that Carlos Condit wins by unanimous decision in a pretty intense fight that will stay on the feet and consist of a lot of moving and circling from Condit. This prediction can obviously be ruined by one punch because of the power that Lawler possesses, but this is a pick that I feel pretty sure about. I think Condit as an underdog is pretty good value for a small bet in this spot. Since Lawler has come back to the UFC, look at a list of his opponents. He has not fought a kickboxer like Condit. I think it will pose a stylistically tough matchup for his boxing.

Arlovski vs. Miocic

- An unpredictable heavyweight fight pits the veteran Arlovski versus a stiff test in Miocic. Arlovski's career was written off by me a few years ago, but he is on an insane win streak as of late. While his wins might not be the most impressive in the fashion in which he may have won some of them, the streak in such a volatile division against guys who can knock your head off is nothing to look past. Arlovski deserves a title shot strictly because of the run he is on, but unfortunately that has not yet come to fruition.

If Arlovski can win this match, there should be NO denying he deserves a title shot. However, Miocic is an absolute stud and I am pretty sure this fight will remain standing the entire time. While Arlovski's boxing is nothing to look past, I am not sure how his chin will hold up after so much punishment throughout the years. I really want Arlovski to get the title shot he deserves, but sadly I predict Miocic wins via KO in round 1 after some rock em' sock em' heavyweight exchanges in a short one.

Unfortunately I do not know enough about the rest of the fighters/matches to give a detailed analysis/write-up. Dustin Poirier v. Joseph Duffy should be on the main card on these two fights. No write-up from me, but I am going to pick Joseph Duffy to win it and start making a name for himself. He is the last man to beat Conor McGregor and I am surprised UFC isn't playing that up. The guy is a stud from what I heard about him, he just has no personality.
    Last edited by Spedizzo; December 23rd, 2015 at 3:09 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have kind of talked about it but it was years ago. I think once Duffy gets on a nice streak, if he beats DP soundly, if he smashes some more tougher guys at 155 maybe it'll mean more and people would want to see the fight. But the fact they're in different weight classes and again the fight was years ago, the UFC aren't going to dwell on it too much.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are so many people gunning for Conor now, there is no way in hell they can all possibly have a shot while he remains undefeated in the UFC and all these hypothetical matches remain relevant.

If Conor takes one big ass kicking, 90% of these "dream Conor" matches go out the window, sort of like Ronda/Cyborg, GSP/Silva, etc. Hell, Jon Jones/Weidman in the MSG was talked about once. Can you imagine UFC booking Weidman/Jones now?

Best case scenario for Duffy (or the UFC) is he goes on a nice streak and they just play him up as another tough Irish fighter, hype him as the guy who beat Conor, and just always throw in rumors of a Conor/Duffy fight while there is interest. But I doubt it will ever happen or even be of any real interest to anyone.

Remaining undefeated in MMA is so much harder than in a sport like boxing. There are so many more variables in MMA and ways to lose. There are so many different things you have to train for. So many different styles and different types of fighters. Boxing is the sweet science, but man, people don't realize when a guy like Jon Jones comes around and essentially goes 22-0 (his Matt Hamill DQ was a win in my book), this fucking guy is one of the baddest guys on the planet.
    Last edited by Spedizzo; December 23rd, 2015 at 3:17 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the big issue, too many fans think 1 loss=done. Let's see how these cats do after that loss, or a big loss. We just get so used to seeing them win and then they lose and while many of us know the deal, there are those fans who think "Oh Ronda lost who cares about a dream fight down the road even if she wins her next 5 fights with ease" or "Weidman's done, he was overrated because he finally lost to a top guy...." McGregor, same shit will happen, but his mouth is why peeps want to see him get humbled a little lol.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the truth. I am guilty of it. Sometimes you buy into that Joe Rogan hype bullshit. You want to see whoever is being proclaimed pound for pound or undefeated at the time duking it out. When you see someone get knocked out stiff, it just kills a little bit of a potential dream match for you. I don't know what it is.

Weidman is a solid fighter, but a match with Jones is no longer a "dream match" whereas before he lost a match with Jones had some "dream match" appeal. The guy was undefeated and calling out Jon Jones in New York City. It has appeal. Now, there is no reason to believe Jones wouldn't ragdoll the shit out of him if they fought.

It's like when Chuck Liddell was the most badass LHW champ and Rich Franklin was a dominant middleweight champ. People always wondered what would happen if they fought. Well, they finally fought after Chuck Liddell got knocked out by a whose who of MMA. The fight was a mere shadow of what it once would have been.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Fuckin bummer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I like Stipe.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I like Stipe too, nothing against him, just that Arlovski's recent run was a great story in the making.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was a quick ko, so i hope that doesn't mean he loses much steam. i want him to stay around. old skool

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That last round was fucking bonkers.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Those two men deserve beaucoup money.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    does anyone agree with that decision? seemed like condit's fight to me. great fight though, especially that last round.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    Those two men deserve beaucoup money.
    Indeed. That shot of both guys laying on the cage completely spent was excellent.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Indeed. That shot of both guys laying on the cage completely spent was excellent.
    I was thinking exactly the same. Two guys go instantly from trying to decapitate one another mercilessly for all the stakes to being completely peacefully and identically spent side by side. Hope somebody ringside captured that moment as an all-timer kind of photo. Glorious.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    does anyone agree with that decision? seemed like condit's fight to me. great fight though, especially that last round.
    I did think Condit would get the decision. And I need to rewatch it, but could also see how the 3rd could have been up in the air.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fight. That fifth was straight phonebooth brawling. The rematch needs to be booked. I must see five more rounds from these two again wow.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    lawler/condit/macdonald triple threat at ufc 200

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a final round. I wanted Lawler to win and am glad he did, but I scored it 3-2 to Condit. I can see how the decision could go to Lawler, I thought that he definitely won the fifth and the second, the fourth and fifth were pretty clearly Condit, but the third was a case of Condit landing MUCH more, but Lawler landing heavier. Its always difficult to score ones like that. I'd generally say that Condit would win more than he would lose against Lawler, he's a terrible style match up for him. He's a varied and technical striker who fights LONG and has both a ridiculously good chin, work rate and gas tank. Lawler's only answer was to try and catch him when he was coming in, but when he throws mostly kicks, he doesnt need to come in so much. I'd love to see Condit against Lawler again, or against Macdonald, or Wonderboy. I think Lawler beats anyone not called Condit at the moment.

There are very few sights more impressive in all of MMA than seeing Lawler in berserker mode.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched that last round again. Condit outlanded Lawler for literally 4 minutes of that round. From 90 seconds to 60 seconds left Lawler was on top throwing everything and landing a lot, Condit was still landing during this time, but just not with the same kind of power. Yet that was enough to take the round for Lawler in my opinion.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Condit won three rounds...Lawler won two. Each round had a definite winner. Lawler spent the first three rounds eating kicks and punches. He got the knockdown in the second, but my that was a clear win for Condit. He got robbed. One of the best chins in MMA too, by the way. Lawler got outlanded by a huge margin.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winning three rounds to two and dropping a split decision is NOT a robbery.

Outlanding your opponent does not decide whether or not you win the round. If you tap me ten times with leg kicks and I smash your head back with one clear shot to the jaw, I've done more with my one shot than you have with your ten.

I do agree that Condit should've gotten the decision, but the fight was close and in a close fight there are no robberies. Condit was scoring more, but his shots were not as damaging as Lawler's were. In the first the most significant thing that happened was the knockdown, Condit took that round. In the second Lawler poleaxed Condit and then hit most of the harder shots for the rest of the round 1-1. In the fourth Condit won that clearer than any other round and then in the last round Lawler might've taken more shots, but the ones he landed has a significantly more damaging effect. Condit went from looking calm and in control and with plenty of energy left to battered and bruised and completely and utterly spent. Lawler must've landed 10-15 huge shots in the space of 1 minute that were more impactful than anything Condit did in the other 4 minutes (despite landing more), so that makes it 2-2.

At this point here we are talking about discerning the round 3, which was the most inactive round and the most difficult to score. Already...this can be by no means a robbery, it wasnt a UD 50-45 by the guy who most people thought lost. Condit landed 22 significant strikes, Lawler landed 11 significant strikes. It becomes a question of who dominated the centre and really whose shots were more effective. Personally I thought that Condit's were, but I can see the argument for the contrary. Condit landed twice as many, but was each of Robbie's looping head strikes or standing elbow (which rocked Condit) more effective and more damaging than twice as many from Condit, but ones that included leg kicks, range finders and glancing blows? I can see how some judges would say that they were.

Condit is an exceptional fighter, but he undoubtedly takes some off his strikes to minimise the risk for himself. Whereas Robbie throws leather and everything that lands has mean intentions and judging is quite subjective when it comes to which you find more effective, you don't HAVE to score rounds based on who lands the most.

Like I say, I would've scored that to Condit, but calling it a robbery is a bit embarrassing when you look at some of the robberies we have had.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's unfortunate for Condit because he's awesome, but now he's contemplating retirement. That could very well be emotion talking but he's also been doing this for awhile and he's came up short in a couple big fights such as this one and it definitely has to sting. Now, here's the question: Do you give Condit an immediate rematch due to how close it was? If you're giving Rousey and Cain V immediate rematches where they weren't even competitive, do you turn a blind eye to the fact that Condit very well could have won?

And I have to also say that it's a shame Arlovski lost. Stipe, mad props to him, but the storyline was there for Arlovski v. Werdum. Werdum has been ready to fight, they could have easily done Werdum v. Arlovski and Lawler v. Condit on this card (it wasn't exactly the best card on paper, and was originally supposed to be headlined by Rousey v. Holm). But now with Stipe it's like, do they give him the next shot or is Overeem going to have some leverage and get a shot if he decides to stay with the UFC? If Overeem gets looked over he won't stay so who knows.
    Last edited by Nash Diesel; January 4th, 2016 at 10:24 AM.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arlovski match went just as I had predicted. Fucking terrible loss for Arlovski. He had been on a magical run, but I knew it was about to collapse at any moment and it is a damn shame he didn't get his chance at a title shot prior to this loss as he will never get that chance ever again. Dana White has also went on to say if Werdum loses to Cain, Werdum will probably get a rematch against Cain. These automatic rematches when Dana White and co. feels like is pissing me off.

I was a bit surprised that Condit was getting tagged so much by Lawler and was shocked at how damn tough Lawler is. He is one tough motherfucker. The match was a brawl. I was expecting Condit to be more elusive than he was. I wasn't paying attention to the match as much as I should have (I didn't go to the bar for this fight, and I was playing video games during some of the fight) and I honestly though Condit had the fight won - especially when Mike Goldberg kept saying in the 5th round that "Lawler knows he has to stop Condit in this round to win the fight." When I heard it was a split decision I thought Condit was in trouble.
    Last edited by Spedizzo; January 4th, 2016 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They just want Cain to keep fighting the same guys over and over. I have no doubt we're going to see Cain v. JDS 4 within the next 18 months, title or not. It's boring. I'm already annoyed that Cain is getting a title shot after getting whipped and the UFC knowing full well this dude is made of glass. He'll win the belt, "get injured", and then a year later defend it only to lose and get another shot in his next fight. Boring. I'm hoping Werdum destroys him within 2 rounds because if Werdum loses, no matter what, I could see the rematch. It has to be disheartening being a HW knowing that you may never get a title shot as long as Cain's around.

I agree about AA, I had a feeling this was going to end up bad for him because most of his fights go this way where he gets rocked early, and either gets finished or gets lucky, but it's still a great story that he survived this long. And he beat some quality guys along the way. What's next for him? I'm going to bet we see him up against Dos Santos next. Makes perfect sense. JDS would knock him out and it builds back up Dos Santos a little.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Condit would be silly to retire. He is getting a rematch, or is 1 win away from another title shot.

Right now the Welterweight picture has:

Hendricks
    Condit
    Maia
    Woodley
    MacDonald

MacDonald has not fought since getting his face smashed in by Lawler, so cross him off the list. Have Woodley face Hendricks, give Condit a rematch against Lawler, and give Maia someone like Matt Brown.

If Maia wins his fight and is more impressive in victory than the winner of the Woodley/Hendricks fight, you can consider giving Maia a title shot against the winner of the Lawler/Condit rematch.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah the only clear #1 contender's fight IMO is the Woodley v. Hendricks fight and that was actually supposed to happen until Hendricks had to pull out due to the bad weight cut (seems he has some serious issues and should probably move up or stop getting so fat lol). I would put Condit v. Lawler at UFC 200.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana really doesn't want Hendricks at Welterweight, but Hendricks seems pretty stubborn about it. If Hendricks moves up then Maia vs. Woodley and Condit vs. Lawler makes things a lot easier.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
    Dana really doesn't want Hendricks at Welterweight, but Hendricks seems pretty stubborn about it. If Hendricks moves up then Maia vs. Woodley and Condit vs. Lawler makes things a lot easier.
    The funny thing is, DW told Kelvin Gastelum he was going to fight at 185 and sure as shit the next fight he had was at 185 and TKO'd Nate the Great. But then his next 2 fights that were scheduled, Matt Brown and Kyle Noke (both fell through) were at 170. So I think he could tell Big Rig, especially after having to pull out of a fight due to weight cutting issues during fight week (maybe it was the day of the weigh-ins I can't remember) then he needs to move up or stop getting so fat. He's not exactly a big guy, I look at him and I'm like, eh he shouldn't be having issues with cutting to 170 but he gets up to like 210lbs for whatever reason.

His stats say he's only 5'9", BJ Penn is 5'9" and I get Big Rig is larger in frame but again, you're only 5'9 why the fuck are you blowing up to over 200lbs....I'm hoping Wonderboy puts him to sleep.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope wonderboy sparks him.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand how Condit loses that fight, despite outstriking Lawler 3-1 in a fight with no submission attempts. I was pretty sure Lawler was going to get the nod in rounds 2 and 5. I just couldn't see how the judges were going to give him 1, 3, or 4 though.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I can think of is like others have said, maybe it was more to do with quality than quantity. You throw 100 strikes but only 50 are significant versus someone who throws 70 strikes and 40 of them are significant, you're going to see a difference. It was close and it was a tough pill to swallow seeing as how pretty much everyone I know gave it to Condit and he's my favorite fighter...but Lawler is a beast and if Condit isn't carry the torch for 170 then I'm more than happy to see Lawler do it.

And I welcome GSP to fight this man if he ever comes back. He might not seeing how devastating fighters are getting in his division, I mean shit he was hit more times in his last 3 fights than in his entire career combined so I don't blame him for stepping away while he was still the man. Very rarely do you see that happen in MMA, I can't really think of anyone who's legacy remained intact because even guys like Royce came back to get their ass whipped.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Upon rewatch:

Round 1: Condit. Not much analysis needed.

Round 2: Lawler. Condit was the aggressor in this round, but Lawler caught him with some nice shots and of course got a knockdown.

Round 3: Okay so the most important round. Condit was the aggressor in the first 1:20 of the round, controlling the distance with kicks, Lawler was defending, but offering nothing. Then, Lawler goes on the front foot and lands a few nice shots, backing Condit up to the cage, but Condit lands a knee in the process which Lawler eats. As they come back to the center Lawler lands an elbow. In the final minute, Condit backs Lawler up against the cage. Lawler reverses and tries for a takedown, Condit reverses, and they separate with Condit the aggressor. Good kick lands for Condit, and a good kick for Lawler. The round ends. It feels like a reach to award that round for Lawler. He barely threw anything apart from a minute stretch where he landed some strikes, as well as an elbow. He also ate a knee in that period though, and the rest of the round was all Condit.

Round 4: Some counter punching from Lawler in the first minute, but Condit begins to dominate. Lawler becomes more urgent, but Condit goes back to picking him apart for most of the round. He puts the pressure on with Lawler hurt up against the cage. Condit.

Round 5: Madness. Lawler comes flying out of the blocks but Condit copes with it well initially and lands the better shots in the first minute of the round. Lawler lands a nice overhand right near the cage, but Condit goes back to winning the exchanges once back in the center of the octagon. Condit is winning the round with 1:40 to go when Lawler lands a beautiful counter right. From there, Lawler backs him to the cage and really starts swinging for the fences. Condit tries to return in kind, but Lawler is the one landing bombs. Condit is spent, but his chin holds up. With one minute to go Lawler has also emptied his tank, and they stumble around, right at the death they're swinging wildly. Both guys are warriors, as we already knew. Lawler won the round, but it was actually closer than I thought on first viewing.

Summary:

48-47 Condit. Kind of a close fight, but I stick by my view that it wasn't really that hard a fight to score. Lawler did land nice shots, but they were few and far between. Condit had Lawler in trouble briefly towards the end of the 4th. Lawler had Condit in trouble in the 5th. Both guys have solid chins and held up. Hopefully we'll see it settled in a rematch, no offense to Woodley, but I think most would rather see this run back. At the very least, I hope Condit doesn't retire off of the loss.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I want to see a rematch, if Condit loses again he can talk about retiring but this was such a close fight. Woodley "beat" Condit sure, but I think Woodley knows the deal with that win and he hasn't chalked up a top ten since. Honestly nothing about Woodley's resume shows me he deserves a title shot and he's already talking about how he's going to be heartbroken again if he doesn't get the shot. Not sure what he means because to my knowledge he's never been told he was getting a shot in the first place. Maybe if the Hendricks fight happened and he won.....The dude hasn't fought in a year. Maybe he thought he should've got the nod against Lawler instead of Condit because of his "win" but come on man, you're not getting a title shot eeking out decisions over Kelvin Gastelum.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I'm no Condit fan but I had him winning that fight.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like condit and am a huge lawler fan, I thought condit won, but when you are talking about one round between them and the most inactive round at that, where one fighter lands more and the other lands harder...then it makes it more difficult and when there are only three people making that decision I can see why two gave it to lawler. It's just a problem with the scoring system, the 10 point must system, the three judges system. Stuff like this will happen from time to time. Fortunately it was no robbery and you could make an argument for the winner winning, even if I don't agree with that argument. What is disappointing is when it's much clearer than that, when it should've been a clear 4-1 or 5-0 and it gets messed up. If I were scoring the rounds, round 4 would've been 10-8 Condit and round 3 would've been 10-10 because it was too tight to call, but you just never get those with the current scoring system.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Half point scoring.

Lawler - 9, 10, 10, 8.5, 10 - 47.5

Condit - 10, 9, 9.5, 10, 9.5 - 48

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though condit definitely won more of the last round, the parts that lawler won were MUCH bigger. Condit went from completely on control and cruising with a full gas tank to spent, empty, battered and bruised and almost out on his feet from 60 seconds of lawler madness. I couldn't score that last round just .5 to lawler.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I'd need to rewatch to make a truly accurate scorecard, the point was just to reassert the merit of the half point system.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I handily scored this fight for Condit.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back Sir Markus.

I did as well.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    I handily scored this fight for Condit.

Which rounds?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Which rounds?
    1, 3, 4 decisively.

2 and 5 were coin toss rounds that could have gone either way. I gave r2 to Lawler on account of the knockdown alone although outside of that moment Condit landed considerably more during the round. I gave r5 to Condit, I didn't think Lawler's late rally was enough to negate Condit's success throughout the round. Even after Lawler went into beast mode they were pretty even in strikes.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See I scored it for condit too, but I can see why lawler won. Round 5 is a good example where condit landed more, but lawlers fewer punches were significantly more damaging, despite landing more in that round condit went from pretty much 80% fresh to absolutely nothing left in the tank.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Fan of Lawler, not a fan of Condit, I still had Condit winning though.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most people did. But it wasn't a robbery by any means, a close decision. I can see why two out of three people at ringside scored it for lawler, even if I didn't.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Fan of Lawler, not a fan of Condit, I still had Condit winning though.
    Wait a minute. You can score the fight for Lawler, you can score the fight for Condit but how could you possibly not be a fan of Carlos Condit? HOW?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think most people did. But it wasn't a robbery by any means, a close decision. I can see why two out of three people at ringside scored it for lawler, even if I didn't.
    It absolutely was a robbery. A close decision is one where there's a plausible argument either way. There is not a single legitimate argument that Lawler won more rounds than Condit.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there is. There were two clear rounds where there is a fairly easy argument (note I did not say that he definitively won any of the rounds) that Lawler won the round, then there is one round where Lawler landed like 12 to Condit's 20 shots, but there is a pretty straightforward suggestion that Lawler's striking was more effective and more damaging.

I felt quite clearly that Condit won 3 round to 2, so really all you've got to do is have two people out of three make the suggestion that Lawler won the closest round in the fight...that does not a robbery make.