User Tag List

Thread: The Official Fedor Thread

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Official Fedor Thread

I thought there was a thread about Fedor already that Pete Cash made a few years back, but no luck.

Anyway, now that's he back, here's an article from Bloody Elbow with the former Pride boss talking about his intentions as well as Fedor's intentions:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/9/23...ews/in/8735118

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless Fedor fights Sergei Kharitonov (who isn't even really a ranked or relevant heavyweight himself anymore), there are no relevant heavyweight fighters who I care to see him fight.

Although Fedor vs. Kimbo would be fun, I must admit... since you know Fedor will keep it standing if that's what his opponent wants.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way the owner made it sound like is that they might be looking for someone that if he beats Fedor he can carry the torch for the new generation so to speak. So it might be someone we don't even really know about. That's one thing I've learned over the years is that I can't rely on name value, I'm beyond just being the guy who watches here and there and there are so many fighters these days that it's hard to really follow a lot of them to truly know how good or bad they are. The UFC and their die hard fans have done a great job though since the death of Strikeforce to convince people that only the best fight for the UFC, and in most cases they're right. The HW division, there's only ever been like 1 guy for every era that was truly a beast while everyone else just trades wins back and forth. That's why all you need is one win to get a title shot most of the time.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Luke Thomas talked about that (if the rumors are true) Fedor's opponent will be mind-blowing. Only things fitting that description would be some complete freak show fight like Dennis Rodman or Akebono or someone we'd never expect, like Brock Lesnar or Randy Couture.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing Luke when he says mind blowing he's probably meaning we'll be like what the fuck is this crap....lol. And I think that would kind of fit with Sakikabara's comments about how his opponent will be important for the future. I think that means we're going to see Fedor v. someone that isn't well known, that's probably undefeated with under 10 fights.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wouldn't really say he's "back".

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Markus Hammer View Post
    I wouldn't really say he's "back".
    Sure he is. In the most general form of the word and the most literal. He's going to fight AT LEAST 2 times for Pride 2.0. So yeah technically he's "back". lol.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Since this seems to be somewhat of a Bellator/Sakikabara "co-promotion" I was looking through Bellator's HW roster, and the only one that would be a remotely relevant fight for Fedor is their champion, Vitaly Minakov (15-0). Talented, undefeated guy with a very similar background to Fedor in Sambo and Judo. Problem is that he's the one training with FE for his comeback. So, that probably rules him out.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah fuck I was thinking of that guy too because they said he hasn't defended the title in about a year lol. So I'm thinking hey here's this young Russian guy who might be the one Fedor, if he lost, would pass the torch to as the next big thing out of Russia. But then I was like naw, probably train together or have some type of friendship amongst countrymen thing going on.

Lashley stood out as well. Forget the WWE stuff, he's a decent HW fighter and I think he could pose some problems for Fedor. I think Lash has only lost twice, but again, going back to Sakikaraba's comments about Fedor's opponent and the future of MMA...I'm still leaning toward virtual unknown young fighter.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Fedor/Minakov would be an excellent "pass the torch/young lion vs old lion" kind of match, but yeah, can't see it happening.

Did he really say that though? I found it nearly impossible to decipher whatever it was coming out of his mouth.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said that "we would like to select a fighter who will mean something for the future of MMA" and I can't see fighters from yesteryear fitting that so that's why I'm ruling out pretty much everyone over the age of 30. So while he is saying that, it's also possible that what they would LIKE and what they will GET are 2 totally different things.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Jones' first fight at heavyweight?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be amazing. Fedor v. Jon Jones.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost official but Fedor's opponent will likely be Jaideep "Heart" Singh. An accomplished kickboxer who has only fought 1 time in MMA, back in 2013. Big lanky dude but 1-0? Against Fedor? I guess Sakikiraba was on the right path when talking about the future. Kid is 28 but come on, if he beats Fedor then Fedor might as well go back to Russia and hide out for eternity but if he loses to Fedor it means nothing. Damn. Kind of makes Kimbo or Bob Sapp sound like a top 5 challenge.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    While bummed, I completely understood Fedor not signing with UFC. The money, the familiarity with Sakakibara, fighting in Japan, and the promise of giving young Russian up and comers a platform, all of those things made sense.

This though, this just blows.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    While bummed, I completely understood Fedor not signing with UFC. The money, the familiarity with Sakakibara, fighting in Japan, and the promise of giving young Russian up and comers a platform, all of those things made sense.

This though, this just blows.
    Yep yep. The only thing I kept thinking to make this is a positive was, think about the cats he fought in his prime like Yuji Nagata for fuck's sake.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I actually didn't mind those fights back then. It was an entirely different time. Guys fought frequently then and so if they squeezed in a jobber fight between tough matchups it was fun just to watch the freakshow. This doesn't feel like that.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me it does. I always feel like these freak show fights work the best when I hear they're happening in Japan due to the days of Pride. Pride was that escape from the UFC's "organized" way of doing things, you know, best always fighting the best or close to it. Rarely do we see a James Toney/Couture situation in the UFC. CM Punk is the next fight that fits that bill. It's kind of why I like Bellator a little more and more as times goes by because they mix in the tournaments, the fights like Kimbo v. Shamrock, then you have the "legit" stuff with guys like Will Brooks, Michael Chandler, etc.

With this Fedor fight I see it as par for the course. Something that I'm not exactly thrilled about but something I wasn't remotely shocked to read. Not that it was a "Fedor ducking the top HW's" type situation, more like "Well, it's the former owner of Pride, could've been worse!" Could've been Fedor v. Shinsuke Nakamura in a pro wrestling shoot fight. Actually, that would've been great.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Would Fedor/Nakamura be a better "match" than Fedor/Aoki?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man I totally forgot about that....fight.....

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I watched Singh back in K-1, or what what was left of it and he never impressed me much. Mid-tier kickboxer who lost to any 'name' fighter he's fought besides Sergei Kharitonov, who isn't honestly all that good either (in kickboxing that is). Singh also lost his last three kickboxing fights. Underwhelming to say the least, even the like of King Mo, Lashley or someone would have been more interesting.

He's probably fairly well known in Japan since he's lived there a long time, and I'm guessing they are looking for a broadcast deal in India with their 38 billion population..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah there has to be more to this on the business side.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Maybe they're looking to co-promote with India's Super Fight League, if they're still around that is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always looked at Fedor like he was dodging the best heavyweights by never signing with the UFC. Yes he fought a couple of heavyweights outside of the UFC that were at one time in the UFC but he has never fought the best heavyweights the UFC has ever had. Tim Silvia might be thought of by some but as we all know Tim Silvia wasn't all that good (he lost to Ray Mercer for christs sake lol) and was the champ when the UFC had a horrible heavyweight division. Oh and maybe Arlovski but that fight reminded me of the first JDS and Velasquez fight where if they had fought again the fight would have ended up quite differently

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I don't think Fedor dodging top competition is a correct characterizaion. He never dodged anyone in Pride when they had the best HW scene in all of MMA. He didn't dodge anyone in any promotion he's fought for. He just didn't speak the same language as Dana White, and I'm not talking about English/Russian. Dana has the people skills of a fire ant, and that's just for westerners. I think his way of doing business for a guy like Emelianenko was just a complete and utter culture clash, both business and personal. That's not such a deal breaker for lesser famed fighters who will take more of what Zuffa in general will give, but Fedor never thought he had to, and short of putting 'competing in UFC' on his mantle, he never really had to.

Fedor's had his share of warts to work with, M-1 Global and Vadim Finkelstein mostly. But it's no secret how difficult Dana White can be to do an even partnership with. The fact that Fedor will likely never fight in UFC has probably least of all to do with a level of competition that Fedor has ever wanted to avoid. I think the dude would fight a fucking bear, but it's gotta be the right deal and he never felt he had to take less from UFC or anyone else.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think he was ducking anything. When he signed with Strikeforce, they arguably had a better HW division than the UFC did at the time. Plus his management team wanted to co-promote and the UFC weren't going to do that but Strikeforce was willing to so they got the best HW of all time on their roster. Also, why would Fedor want to work for a guy who spent years claiming he was mediocre, overrated, etc.?

Think of it this way, he lost to Werdum, he lost to Bigfoot, those are 2 top UFC heavyweights, one is the current champ. Fedor not fighting in the UFC, imo, just comes down to name value of the UFC. It doesn't matter apparently that when he beat Sylvia and Arlosvki they were ranked in the top 3-4 in the world. It doesn't matter that Strikeforce's HW division when he was there was stacked like crazy. It's all about the UFC. If Pride were still around A-they'd have just as good if not a better roster than the UFC like they usually did and B-nobody would be questioning Fedor by sticking with them because they were a huge name in the MMA world.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well as far as I've understood it is that he was offered more money than ever to fight for the UFC but M-1 Global wanting to co promote ruined the deal. I don't know why they would have thought that was going to go over well. As for Dana White he just doesn't hold back. Now that fedor's coming out of retirement he could join the UFC but yet again he always has some other reason why he doesn't.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    Well as far as I've understood it is that he was offered more money than ever to fight for the UFC but M-1 Global wanting to co promote ruined the deal. I don't know why they would have thought that was going to go over well. As for Dana White he just doesn't hold back. Now that fedor's coming out of retirement he could join the UFC but yet again he always has some other reason why he doesn't.
    He has no obligation to the UFC and again, the way DW is rubs people the wrong way and a guy like Fedor who's already established, who's already a legend, he has nothing to gain or lose. Droid, not sure if you're a pro wrestling fan, but it's this, did Sting have to sign with the WWE? Would people say he wasn't that good because he chose not to sign with the WWE until he was 55 years old as opposed to coming over back in 1999 when the WWE were red hot? No. So like with Fedor, and we don't know exactly what the UFC did or didn't offer, but we do know that Fedor's legacy is established and he didn't even have to come out of retirement, he's doing this because he can.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Ya but you're taking "some other reason" and inserting "ducking competition" to fit how you want to view it. I, and Nash, gave actual reasons why that's not likely the real "some other reason".

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I don't really know this OTHER reason. There's no ducking on Fedor's part. He didn't duck the UFC HW division by signing with Affliction or Strikeforce and he's not doing it now because what does he have to prove at this stage in his career? Again I think with fans it comes down to the UFC being a household name. You could be 20-87 and if you are in the UFC you are automatically viewed as "elite" by many fans. It happens in pro wrestling all the time, with some fans if you're not in the WWE you must suck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    He has no obligation to the UFC and again, the way DW is rubs people the wrong way and a guy like Fedor who's already established, who's already a legend, he has nothing to gain or lose. Droid, not sure if you're a pro wrestling fan, but it's this, did Sting have to sign with the WWE? Would people say he wasn't that good because he chose not to sign with the WWE until he was 55 years old as opposed to coming over back in 1999 when the WWE were red hot? No. So like with Fedor, and we don't know exactly what the UFC did or didn't offer, but we do know that Fedor's legacy is established and he didn't even have to come out of retirement, he's doing this because he can.
    I don't see it as the same because as a wrestler they aren't really proving whether they are or aren't beating The top competition since before the match it is all pre determined. That means it doesn't matter if they jump ship to the number one wrestling company. Even if the number one wrestling company had the most skilled wrestlers it won't matter since wrestlers only win because they are told to either win or lose lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya but you're taking "some other reason" and inserting "ducking competition" to fit how you want to view it. I, and Nash, gave actual reasons why that's not likely the real "some other reason".
    You might be right but was the only he was going to sign with the UFC was if the biggest mma organization ever let M-1 Global co promote. The UFC also didn't want all of M-1 Globals other guys either.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    You might be right but was the only he was going to sign with the UFC was if the biggest mma organization ever let M-1 Global co promote. The UFC also didn't want all of M-1 Globals other guys either.
    Maybe, but that doesn't A) make Fedor wrong for wanting it to happen and finding a partner who would, or most of all B) mean he's ducking anyone.

He's one of the few fighters on the planet that can even begin to make such demands. I'm sure more fighters wish they could even.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see it as the same because as a wrestler they aren't really proving whether they are or aren't beating The top competition since before the match it is all pre determined. That means it doesn't matter if they jump ship to the number one wrestling company. Even if the number one wrestling company had the most skilled wrestlers it won't matter since wrestlers only win because they are told to either win or lose lol.
    Yeah, shit example lol. It's just hard because it's not like I can go "Just because this guy only played Arena Football doesn't mean he was ducking the NFL" because yeah, that guy probably was ducking the NFL. But with MMA, and a guy like Fedor, you can't say he's ducking people when his track record shows otherwise and various factors go into why he never signed with the UFC.

Pretty much yeah. I think there were other things like Dana White's many years calling Fedor a can in more words than one, who wants to fight for that guy unless they have to or want to? Fedor doesn't have to fight for the UFC and he doesn't want to apparently. I'm sure he teased the idea, heard their offers over the years, but it was never appealing to him at the end of the day.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much yeah. I think there were other things like Dana White's many years calling Fedor a can in more words than one, who wants to fight for that guy unless they have to or want to? Fedor doesn't have to fight for the UFC and he doesn't want to apparently. I'm sure he teased the idea, heard their offers over the years, but it was never appealing to him at the end of the day.
    Well I heard they offered him more money than they've ever offered anyone (at that time) and he turned it down but I guess money isn't everything when signing deals.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe, but that doesn't A) make Fedor wrong for wanting it to happen and finding a partner who would, or most of all B) mean he's ducking anyone.

He's one of the few fighters on the planet that can even begin to make such demands. I'm sure more fighters wish they could even.
    You might be right.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I heard they offered him more money than they've ever offered anyone (at that time) and he turned it down but I guess money isn't everything when signing deals.
    Yeah I heard something like they offered him 500k a fight, 6 fights total, and he could still do Sambo as long as it didn't conflict with an upcoming fight he had. This was the offer supposedly made before he signed with Strikeforce.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Some stuff from the "RIZIN" press conference:

- Two events will be held on December 29th and 31st
    - An eight man HW grand prix will be held over the two events (quarter finals on 1st day, semi & finals on 2nd). Prize money of $500K for the winner
    - The event is not a traditional MMA promotion, but a federation of multiple MMA orgs to send fighters to and compete in a grand prix
    - Participating MMA orgs are Bellator, BAMMA, KSW, BUSHIDO, Jungle Fight and Desert force
    - Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Shinya Aoki will be held as a special match
    - Besides the return of Fedor, Gabbi Garcia and RENA will be making their MMA debut (presumably not against each other)
    - Broadcast will be on Fuji TV (schedule TBD) and SPIKE

Rules
    - Matches will be contested over three rounds (1R 10 minutes, 2R & 3R 5 minutes save for women fights which will be three 5 minute rounds)
    - Kicks and knees to a grounded opponent are allowed. Elbows are being considered for legalization
    - The fight will be in a square ring with 5 ropes, but a new type of ring is currently under development

Other
    - The event is being sponsored by the Japan Wrestling Association
    - Compliance is raised as a priority for the organization and a council of three (2 lawyers + a former superintendent police officer) compliance officers are to be assigned

I'm happy about the "square ring" bit, I'm always worried new orgs will do stupid shit like six-sided rings, square cages or the fucking YAMMA Fight Pit just to make them stand out. "New type of ring" has me slightly worried though..

Soccer kicks, grounded knees and possibly elbows..

Rampage Jackson wants to fight at this show just to get the Bellator/SPIKE/Viacom/legal shit out of the way. Coker should take him up on the offer, Rampage on Spike on NYE in Japan would be pretty big. Surprisingly Zuffa seems to be fine with it as well.

Fedor vs. Rampage in Japan would be dope..
    Last edited by OD50; October 9th, 2015 at 6:27 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info OD! Very excited. I would LOVE to see Rampage on this card, and I would love to see him fight Fedor. Fedor is Rampage's favorite fighter, the guy he looked up to the most. I'd rather see those 2 kill each other than Fedor possibly lose to that kickboxer chump.

Love the Aoki-Sak "fight". Curious to see who they get involved.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yeah, I have no confidence whatsoever that this "org" will even make it through 2016, still it should offer some great throwback action for us Pride fans. My magic 8-ball shows me some brutal finishes and whacky freak show fights in the near future. Who the fuck will Gabi Garcia fight? She's humongous even after losing 50 pounds or whatever. I've heard rumours of some Chinese female sumo wrestler, now that would be a.. Sight.

Aoki/Saku is interesting. Saku fought his early career at LHW and later at MW, Aoki fought most of his career at LW but has been going back and forth to FW in later years. He got destroyed by Mach Sakurai that time he decided to try WW though. Saku was a pretty small MW and is definitely a natural WW by todays standards. I'm guessing their fight will take place at 175. Hopefully Evil Aoki doesn't show up and destroys what's left of Saku's lower extremities.

Since they have ties with KSW, Jungle Fight, BAMMA and Bellator we could actually get some somewhat decent non-freakshow fights as well. Maybe Mamed Khalidov against some decent Bellator MW (Kendall Grove?). And who wouldn't want to see Bobby Lashley vs. Mariusz Pudzianowski..?

They really need to get their shit together and not do Fedor/Jaideep Singh, that fight puts a damper on the entire card. I mean shit, Fedor/Cheick Kongo would be like Fedor/CC in comparison. Even Fedor/Zulu II or Fedor HMC II would be preferable.. Only reason for the Singh fight happening must be because of some kind of tie to some India network.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Inside MMA has confirmed that Fedor will not fight Jaideep Singh on NYE.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No update on Fedor's next opponent but I did read that Gabi Garcia will be fighting...I shit you not...Lei'd Tapa from TNA. The Barbarian's daughter for Christ's sake.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I saw rumors of Fedor/TK III. Wtf.. This is getting weirder and weirder.

Well, both Garcia and Tapa make their MMA debuts. Problem is that one has four years of pro-wrestling experience while the other is a two time ADCC and nine time World BJJ champ.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was sitting here thinking man I wish Roy Nelson could get out of his UFC contract and fight Fedor. He's 1-5 in his last 6 so you would think MAYYYYBE the UFC would let him go but maybe the UFC also sees that even the 35+ crowd can still find work and make money for Bellator and other promotions.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did anybody watch the Fedor special that aired after Bellator Friday night? It was awesome. I just can't express the respect I have for this man enough. I wish that more fighters carried themselves like this and he is 100% proof along with guys like GSP that you don't need to be a pompous douchebag to be a superstar in this sport.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Missed it. Had it set to record and apparently it lost in the tv ether. And I don't see a replay on the horizon anytime. Maybe I'll track it down somewhere.

Anything new a fan may not have known, or was it all pretty usual but just really well done?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missed it. Had it set to record and apparently it lost in the tv ether. And I don't see a replay on the horizon anytime. Maybe I'll track it down somewhere.

Anything new a fan may not have known, or was it all pretty usual but just really well done?

They start out talking about his upbringing and how he started training sambo at 13 and how that transitioned into MMA. That part is pretty brief. They talk about what he's been doing the last 3 years, working with the government, how he personally asked Putin if he could go back to MMA, shows him currently training in Russia and Holland. It was only a half hour but they fit quite a bit, I left about half of it out. There is something called "Breakfast with Fedor" that starts at 9am central the morning of the NYE show in Japan, not sure what it's going to be.

No word on his opponent but there was only 1 MMA fighter on this show talking about Fedor that wasn't his teammate (who btw 3 or 4 of them will be on this Rizin card) and that was Randy Couture so who knows, maybe we'll see old man Couture put on the gloves again.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I want to have breakfast with Fedor.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would everyone's favorite Fedor fight and/or moment be?

I would say for me, my favorite fight was either Cro Cop or Gary Goodridge. I know he basically demolished Goodridge but if there was ever a fight where you would show someone just how devastating Fedor could be, that would be the one I would show people. Cro Cop/Fedor is probably the best HW fight of that era so I would put that one at the very top.

Moment has to be him getting suplexed on his dome by Kevin Randleman and then coming back to win. That was one of the first fights I saw of his and I remember thinking the guy was everything people hyped him up to be taking a suplex like that and not being paralyzed after the fact.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 weeks away and still no Fedor opponent? Edit: Did some research and I guess I forgot they were announcing his opponent tomorrow, supposedly. It'll be interesting.
    Last edited by Nash Diesel; December 17th, 2015 at 4:33 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Sigh, I deep ...

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. So the first guy that they announce is the guy he's fighting after saying he wasn't going to fight this dude do him being 2-0 in MMA lol.

I mean the one bright side is that this kid is 6'6", a kickboxer, but I was reading some other people's opinion about this fight and they say he's not even that good of a kickboxer with his biggest win being a KO over MMA vet Sergei Kharitonov (I'm sure I butchered that name)....So I mean I guess there's a chance Fedor and his 3 years of rust could get knocked out and then some promotion could try and build this other guy as some world beater for beating Fedor. Idk, kind of disappointed that they beat around the bush and couldn't find someone else.

I was thinking they'd pull something crazy and talk Brandon Vera into doing it in some type of cross promotion with OneFC since he just won the HW title in about a minute last week lol.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    If he has a relatively quick turnaround and fights someone legit in his next one then this could easily be chalked up to a tune up after a 3.5 year absence. Of course they could just as easily line up any other chump next and this just be the cash grab that it wouldn't shock anyone to have been all along. Oh well, be an interesting way to get my NYE day going.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he has a relatively quick turnaround and fights someone legit in his next one then this could easily be chalked up to a tune up after a 3.5 year absence. Of course they could just as easily line up any other chump next and this just be the cash grab that it wouldn't shock anyone to have been all along. Oh well, be an interesting way to get my NYE day going.
    Yep. I mean I completely think that it would've been crazy to have Fedor step in against a top 10 HW, and pretty much every top HW is under a UFC contract at the moment. But after Saturday Overeem won't be so that's a possibility and he's huge in Japan. It's a fight people wanted to see years ago so there's a good fight to put together to really put Rizin on the map. But on the flipside, I would've liked to have seen Fedor up against someone that wasn't 2-0 and an average kickboxer. Did they ask Bobby Lashley? I think he would've taken the fight no questions asked, it raises his stock and since the Bellator HW champ doesn't even fight in Bellator (reminds me of when Overeem was SF champ and he didn't defend it for 2 years but was still fighting elsewhere), I guess I don't know the real reason behind any of it.

Just feels like a letdown since this was the guy they originally had, then backed out on him due to his lack of experience in MMA....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fedor is my all time favorite but he looked shot last time out. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he lost to a bum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fedor was spoonfed bums before

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fedor went out with a series of irrelevant wins so coming back to fight a no-name with a 2-0 record is weird and a huge risk. Fedor was so deadpan they got Kurt Angle to play him.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright my fellow Fedor fans, gigantic news from Mother Russia is that Fedor is closer than ever to signing with the UFC. I've been seeing shit left and right over the last 2-3 days. I don't want anyone to get their hopes up but do so if you must because I'm going to lol. I don't give a fuck if he's past his prime or not, I want to see Fedor in the UFC and there's a laundry list of talent who I want to see him fight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Now just watch him get KO'd by Fabio Maldonado..

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright my fellow Fedor fans, gigantic news from Mother Russia is that Fedor is closer than ever to signing with the UFC. I've been seeing shit left and right over the last 2-3 days. I don't want anyone to get their hopes up but do so if you must because I'm going to lol. I don't give a fuck if he's past his prime or not, I want to see Fedor in the UFC and there's a laundry list of talent who I want to see him fight.

'Closer than ever' with nothing signed isnt massive news, its just marketing.

If he signs a contract, then we're talking.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    'Closer than ever' with nothing signed isnt massive news, its just marketing.

If he signs a contract, then we're talking.
    Man you are one miserable motherfucker and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the headline and was incredibly excited and then read the article and saw that it was pretty much the same type of stuff they've done before. Fedor often uses the UFC tease to promote his fight.

Personally, the fact that this fight is being shown on Fight Pass is more of an exciting sign to me.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I'm excited, sort of. I'm also irrational, as I'm also a Fedor fan.

Knocking Maldonado's head of his neck on Fri and being announced in the UFC on Sat sounds good.

I know, I know...

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm excited, sort of. I'm also irrational, as I'm also a Fedor fan.

Knocking Maldonado's head of his neck on Fri and being announced in the UFC on Sat sounds good.

I know, I know...
    I'm willing to punish myself and get hyped up about Fedor in the UFC only to be letdown lol. But I think it's pretty huge news, even if we're heard it before, doesn't take away the fact that it will be awesome if it comes to fruition.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fedor got a gift there. 2 judges not giving Maldonado a 10-8 (was closer to 10-7 than 10-9) is the most disgracefully judged round in history. I love Emelianenko but he seems to have little left but his will. He fought a poorly conditioned journeyman with brain damage and got beat.

Alas, sign me up for a retirement fight against Bigfoot in UFC. If he can retire with the only unavenged losses of his career being to Henderson and Werdum it would be deserved. What a man.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedor needs to stay retired.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fedor would get wrecked in the UFC's heavyweight division. He was never close to signing with UFC and those of you who thought otherwise should be ashamed.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Just, ugh.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    He looks really fat up there, didn't he look in pretty good shape in the Jaideep Singh fight?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    If this were 7-8 years ago, I'd have been stoked to see Fedor in the UFC. Now?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad to see, but he will always be one of the greats. I don't think it tarnishes his legacy, but he needs to stop now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hardly a good look though is it

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fedor didn't even look like he trained for this shit. Or maybe the pics of the fight I've seen are just at bad angles I don't know. Not trying to make excuses but damn it doesn't sound like Fedor was in top form even for a guy who's been away for awhile and his last fight was against a very inexperienced MMA fighter.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fight was embarrassing to watch. The sole guy who was commentating the fight was even more embarrassing to listen to.

"What ze hell iz going on!" "Why doesn't Fabio fight back!" "I don't know why Fabio isn't punching back!" (While he is getting tagged and is gassed).

Just absolute amateur crap.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit I thought this was a Rizin fight but it wasn't it was just some random Russian promotion. That female judge who scored it a draw, don't be surprised if she is never heard from again lol.

Someone posted on Sherdog and said "Well looks like that Hendo stoppage was early" lol. I always thought so but shit he went out for a split second in that fight but anyway.....I don't even know if Fedor really trained for this. He "handpicked" this motherfucker off some imaginary list and if it were a real risk one would think that you'd at least watch some footage, see that this dude is a tough motherfucker and isn't one to be slept on I don't care if you're prime Fedor or pushing 40 and fat Fedor.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do still think that the Hendo stoppage was early.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm just getting around to watching the Fedor vs Maldonado fight now. I really don't think that its anywhere near as controversial as everyone seems to think it is. Firstly, anyone who said that it should've been stopped I just can't agree with. Fedor was getting tagged cleanly in that first round, but he was always either fighting back, trying to control Maldonado's posture, or trying to get up. He was on wobbly legs, definitely, but was never out. If I was scoring, I would've scored it a pretty clear draw with Maldonado winning that first round 10-8 because Maldonado dominated the round. However thats not how they tend to consistently score rounds in MMA. Generally a 10-8 is because someone has took the whole round and that didnt happen in the first, Fedor was teeing off for the first minute, Maldonado landed the big hit and then absolutely dominated the next two minutes, then Fedor got back up and landed a few, then Maldonado got him up against the cage and landed some heavy shots, then the last minute was pretty split. In the UFC you REPEATEDLY see a dominating round like that scored 10-9...I don't agree with it, but you do. The next two rounds were pretty clearly 10-9 for Fedor. The last round being the closest of the 3. So I can see why it went to Fedor. I personally would've scored it a draw. Hell of a scrap though, I think thats something completely underrated about Fedor...has he ever been in a boring fight? I also wonder why Fedor isnt interested in submissions anymore.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I didn't see the controversy at all either... I had Fedor winning the fight when it was over

when the fight was over I automatically assumed Fabio won the first round 10-9, and Fedor won the second two rounds easily

I can accept one judge or so scoring the first round a draw, but controversy? I think that's a stretch

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing 10-8 rounds are rare in MMA. I've seen fights where a guy was beaten pillar to post, bloody, dropped a couple times, judges still score it 10-9. And like Mik said, sometimes it's like wtf, that should be a 10-8. I think the only "controversy" would be the fact that it didn't go to a draw. But again, I can see why it didn't and what we saw was not uncommon out of all in terms of the judging.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So.....WAMMA decided to select 3 judges after the fact to score Fedor/Maldonado and they determined it was a draw so now the win for Fedor is actually a draw. I have never ever heard of a situation where you can go back and watch a fight after the fact and determine the decision. I don't care what the situation is, how unfair is that to the judges who watched it as it happened and had to judge without the benefit of different angles and what not....what the fuck???

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a problem with it being overturned, but this further makes MMA a joke. They might as well script matches in Russia at this point. If you don't get the result you want, just keep appealing to various bodies until you do. I watched it, and it was a clear 10-8 for Maldonado first followed by two 10-9 rounds for Fedor. I still don't get how they didn't stop that fight to start with.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weird part was, the one judge who did score it a draw they were like "she's the closest to Fedor" but she scored it a fucking draw lol. I just think it's a joke that AFTER THE FIGHT they had 3 separate judges go and watch it again, with more to look at than while it was happening live, and decided yep it was a draw. Just to save face. Fucking dumb.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    So.....WAMMA decided to select 3 judges after the fact to score Fedor/Maldonado and they determined it was a draw so now the win for Fedor is actually a draw. I have never ever heard of a situation where you can go back and watch a fight after the fact and determine the decision. I don't care what the situation is, how unfair is that to the judges who watched it as it happened and had to judge without the benefit of different angles and what not....what the fuck???
    exactly the same happened here in Sweden once. Can't remember specifics but it did benefit the Swedish fighter (of course).

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My oldest son is 18 now and lately he's been getting into MMA. Especially Pride. So for Christmas one of the Pride DVD's I bought for him was Shockwave 2005. First off, what a roster, legends everywhere on this card. But what jumped out was Fedor v. Zulu. My son just couldn't believe they had this guy fight Fedor so I had to explain to him that, like with Giant Silva, a lot of times Pride would put these freak show fighters up against the top tier. Giant Silva makes his Pride debut against top 10 HW Heath Herring. Zulu comes in, I think he had 1 fight, and Fedor killed him in like 30 seconds. It wasn't even funny.

And I know in this very thread we've discussed some of these type of fights hurting Fedor's legacy but honestly I think it adds to the lore. Fedor not only fucked up top contenders but he was fucking up all walks of life. My son also didn't know that Fedor had a brother, Alexander, and I said "Yeah go look up what he's been doing over the last several years" and there went any attempt at being a fan of this guy lol. Fun to watch but what a piece of shit.