Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Did They Put Over?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I honestly can't speak on how things are these days and who does what with who and who doesn't want to work with so and so. I'm positive it still happens, nothing about the WWE being scripted screams that everyone just falls in line with whatever they are told to do.

But yeah hopefully you come back to this and explain a little more.
    I'm sure it still happens, but a lot less. And there were stars back in the day. WWE doesn't have stars anymore. Very few anyway.

Back in the day, if Austin doesn't want to work with Jarrett or Gunn, he doesn't work with them. Today, if AJ Styles doesn't want to work with Mojo Rawley or Jinder Mahal, he's going to work with them.

When I hear 'Who did they put over?' my thoughts are very different depending on the era we're talking about. I think it was a broader question when talking about the 80s and 90s. And the 00s, actually.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    I didn't even remember them having a match. Should have been a Mania match, that.
    I believe it was during the build to Strowman vs. Lesnar, where they wanted to make it look like Strowman had a chance against Lesnar. You're right though, it should have been a feud that ended at WrestleMania.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I'm sure it still happens, but a lot less. And there were stars back in the day. WWE doesn't have stars anymore. Very few anyway.

Back in the day, if Austin doesn't want to work with Jarrett or Gunn, he doesn't work with them. Today, if AJ Styles doesn't want to work with Mojo Rawley or Jinder Mahal, he's going to work with them.

When I hear 'Who did they put over?' my thoughts are very different depending on the era we're talking about. I think it was a broader question when talking about the 80s and 90s. And the 00s, actually.
    haha I mean it's possible that AJ said hey I'll work with Jinder for a week, the one right before he's set to face Lesnar at Survivor Series. I'll make him look the best he's ever looked, but I want the belt and the Lesnar match. lol.

I think in terms of "putting people over", we also need to think of it more as who HELPED put people over. Guys like Sean Waltman, who could go out there and make you remember how good Bret Hart was or make someone like The Goon look passable.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    Don’t forget Billy Kidman and Yokozuna.

And Goldberg.
    Still to this day, it blows my mind that Billy freaking Kidman has a W over Hulk Hogan.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah one of those weak scenarios where they misunderstood how Hulk Dust works. You let Hulk sprinkle it on you, you definitely don't sneak in with your buddy and steal the Hulk Dust and sprinkle it on yourself. There's a process. And it doesn't always work. Tugboat is a great example.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So word is they're looking to give Drew a top push, which... is cool, but I still don't see Drew ever really connecting w/ the fans. I love Drew, but he's never ever been able to get any people interested in things. He has no hook.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    So word is they're looking to give Drew a top push, which... is cool, but I still don't see Drew ever really connecting w/ the fans. I love Drew, but he's never ever been able to get any people interested in things. He has no hook.
    He started out really strong and then Roman came back and that was it. What's he really done since? If they can get him back on a winning streak and maybe put the Universal title around his waist sooner than later I think he will be a big deal.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he's lame as fuck. he was in nxt too.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't even remember them having a match. Should have been a Mania match, that.
    It was at survivor series in the raw vs smackdown match

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He started out really strong and then Roman came back and that was it. What's he really done since? If they can get him back on a winning streak and maybe put the Universal title around his waist sooner than later I think he will be a big deal.
    I think pairing him with Shane didn't help. Drew shouldn't be a guy that is a muscle for a chicken shit heel. and then they paired him with Lashley and Corbin. If they truly want to make him a badass heel they need to keep him solo.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    It was at survivor series in the raw vs smackdown match
    They also faced each other one on one on an episode of RAW.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I think i remember that one

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    I think pairing him with Shane didn't help. Drew shouldn't be a guy that is a muscle for a chicken shit heel. and then they paired him with Lashley and Corbin. If they truly want to make him a badass heel they need to keep him solo.
    If Drew wasn't paired up already with Dolph I wouldn't have been negative to him and Shane. Then they paired him up with IMHO the 2 most boring dudes in the company in King Caillou and Bob No Lashes. Made zero sense. Maybe Vince saw Diesel in Drew like he did with Roman. Idk.

If Drew just runs through motherfuckers and beats down the right people, he could be a top heel. But who on Raw would help get him over as a top tier heel? I don't think Seth can, mayyyyybe if Orton turned face which is usually pretty fucking boring then it might work due to the respect Orton has from fans for being a veteran. Ricochet, Rey Misterio, that's easy shit. It'll be tough.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Drew wasn't paired up already with Dolph I wouldn't have been negative to him and Shane. Then they paired him up with IMHO the 2 most boring dudes in the company in King Caillou and Bob No Lashes. Made zero sense. Maybe Vince saw Diesel in Drew like he did with Roman. Idk.

If Drew just runs through motherfuckers and beats down the right people, he could be a top heel. But who on Raw would help get him over as a top tier heel? I don't think Seth can, mayyyyybe if Orton turned face which is usually pretty fucking boring then it might work due to the respect Orton has from fans for being a veteran. Ricochet, Rey Misterio, that's easy shit. It'll be tough.
    I kind of forgot about him being paired off with Dolph but that further elaborates a point I think details how they view him but went astray. Rightfully, they see value in McIntyre but they didn't trust themselves or trust their audience to see what they see in him. I think that's why he was paired with Dolph. I think it's a combination of that and then having nothing else better to do with him so that's why they paired him with Shane. I usually ride with the trope that if you're dealing with a McMahon, there's value in that because they must see value in you so they want to use that McMahon as a springboard to something else. It certainly makes use of a talent when you don't have them programed in something. That logic works in a match setting but I don't think it worked with McIntyre because the guy is already established in some form or fashion and he was just a lackey. That is already downgrading your classification of the character. Elias? Sure, that makes sense because he's a lackey-like guy and you're probably not seeing him as anything more than a midcard guy. If you took Shane out and had McIntyre and The Revival do something, I think that could have worked to benefit all three of them.

Your suggestion of what he should be doing works. Have him do short promos and then wreck people. Even if it's a competitive match like Monday with Ricochet, I like the edge he had after he won the match over Ricochet.

Something that works in his favor is Raw is scaling back in terms of size. He's going to look physically imposing compared to most of the people on the roster. I think that benefits him as long as he is a heel.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind if they stuck with Drew and Flair for at least a while after Crown Jewel. Flair can be a great hype man for him, and if he turns on Flair down the road that gets him heat too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drew could honestly benefit from a solid run as Universal champion. This is one of those scenarios where the belt and the man make each other. I think Raw could use someone other than Lesnar or Shield wearing the gold. Drew kind of looks like Seth, maybe nobody will notice lol.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think the accent and size difference would somewhat give it away.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They should do a draft lottery, and then the representative for RAW or Smackdown could say "I drew McIntyre!"

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drew McIntyre once but my art teacher hated it.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Should have drawn Gulak.

- - - Updated - - -

McIntyre needs Heyman as a mouth piece, they would be known as DrewPaul

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drewpy McIntyre/Gulak?

They're not very happy!
    Last edited by Badger; October 23rd, 2019 at 4:20 PM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to see Ric Flair hang around too long after the Saudi ride. A couple of weeks, maybe, but Ric is collecting a nice payday there, and he probably will need a few weeks to spend it, then another few months to sober up, and then to complain that he isn't making any money.....

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    You mean when Yoko beat him via EXPLODING CAMERA FIRE?
    Yeah. Granted, it wasn't completely clean. Fireballs rarely are.

But Yoko took the measure of Hulk, kicked out of his finisher, and didn't even pin him with his finish. After the EXPLODING CAMERA FIREBALL, Yoko pinned Hogan with the leg-drop. Which, honestly, is even more humiliating for Hulk.

Like, nobody ever beat Austin with a Stone Cold Stunner. But Hogan had his finish kicked out of and then the heel beat him with the same damn move.

That's pretty damn emphatic.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look forward to the day Drew McIntyre is a solidified main eventer...in AEW.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Maybe he’ll take over and change the name of DREW. Or build a stable...Drew World Order.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Him and Jack Swagger runnin shit

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I liked Drew best when he was the Braveheart of wrestling in TNA.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel
    Him and Jack Swagger runnin shit
    @Donald will probably never watch WWE again!

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Only way I'll watch AEW is if Strowman destroys their whole roster.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Only way I'll watch AEW is if Strowman destroys their whole roster.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Donald again.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Strowman joined AEW, they’d probably have him sell 20 minutes for Marks Stunt.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    If Strowman joined AEW, they’d probably have him sell 20 minutes for Marks Stunt.
    Braun would eat Marko Stunt for breakfast and then job to Orange Cassidy on AEW Dark.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Braun would eat Marko Stunt for breakfast and then job to Orange Cassidy on AEW Dark.
    Book it. Orange Cassidy is my favorite guy right now and Braun is damaged goods. Honestly, minus DB and AJ, no one can really put another person over in that company. Mainly, because there are no real stars. Who is the face of the WWE that people tune in for. Maybe Becky, but she is on a NWO Hogan role right now of never losing. Kofi could maybe be that guy, but they never got behind him. Seth and Roman should be those guys, but got stuck in Brock Lesnar hell. Vince can't make massive stars anymore. Honestly, you go to WWE when your star has faded.

HHH never put anyone over, but made sure people like Foley, Rock and other made him look good. Killed an entire generation of wrestlers doing that.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I disagree about Braun being damaged goods. Having Seth pedigree him and Bray Wyatt manhandle him was stupid, but he's been built up nicely since then. Now if they have Tyson Fury beat him, then he may be damaged goods.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s promotion for Fury, he’s probably going over.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Braun will go out to the ring first. Then Tyson Fury will go to the ring. They are about to fight, then they stop. Tyson grabs a mic and says, "Why are we fighting? As a team we would be indestructible." Then they leave the arena, get on a plane, fly to wherever AEW is located, and give Tony Kahn, Shahid Kahn, Chaka Kahn, Cody, Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson, Janet Jackson, Brandi Rhodes, Brandy Norwood, Kenny Omega, Goldust, Jack Swagger, Chris Jericho, and Jay and Silent Bob these hands.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Braun will go out to the ring first. Then Tyson Fury will go to the ring. They are about to fight, then they stop. Tyson grabs a mic and says, "Why are we fighting? As a team we would be indestructible." Then they leave the arena, get on a plane, fly to wherever AEW is located, and give Tony Kahn, Shahid Kahn, Chaka Kahn, Cody, Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson, Janet Jackson, Brandi Rhodes, Brandy Norwood, Kenny Omega, Goldust, Jack Swagger, Chris Jericho, and Jay and Silent Bob these hands.
    Donald 4 creative

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LMFAO

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must spread rep.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Braun would have to fly as service animal due to being bitched out these last two months.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Now that is funny

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he’s on his way to give people hands, fly him fist class.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happens at Christmas dinner at Braun Strowman's house?

YOU GET THESE HAMS

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If I'm there, there might be a lot of stuffing...

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at Braun when he first debuted and then now, it's pretty crazy how much he's lost that creepy baby face he had. Now he looks somewhat normal.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    With the ease he destroyed Dean Ambrose on his debut, I have no doubt that Braun Strowman would win a 1 vs. all of AEW's roster.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jake Hager vs Braun Strowman in a Donald on a Pole match.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Granted, it wasn't completely clean. Fireballs rarely are.

But Yoko took the measure of Hulk, kicked out of his finisher, and didn't even pin him with his finish. After the EXPLODING CAMERA FIREBALL, Yoko pinned Hogan with the leg-drop. Which, honestly, is even more humiliating for Hulk.

Like, nobody ever beat Austin with a Stone Cold Stunner. But Hogan had his finish kicked out of and then the heel beat him with the same damn move.

That's pretty damn emphatic.
    Didn't Hogan put Lex Luger over clean in WCW for the title? And Sting pretty much had his number. They had six or seven televised matches and I don't think Hogan really went over in any of them.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hogan/Lex on was so weird. He tapped to the torture rack on a random Nitro, with basically no promotion and immediately got the title back the next time either were on tv. It was so bizarre to have someone beat Hulky in the middle of the build to Sting needing to return to save WCW.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hogan/Lex on was so weird. He tapped to the torture rack on a random Nitro, with basically no promotion and immediately got the title back the next time either were on tv. It was so bizarre to have someone beat Hulky in the middle of the build to Sting needing to return to save WCW.
    I liked it. It was like Lex was playing the role of the hero everyone thought could save the day, but, didn't. And then Sting shows up to actually save the day.

Its like Avengers: Endgame, where they set up Hulk as the guy to snap Thanos away, but instead it was Iron Man.

WCW was so heel heat heavy at the time, because of Kevin Sullivan's booking, that they had to break up that monotony a little bit. And Lex was, somehow, a natural choice.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except Sting didn't save the day. They had the silly "Hulk pins him clean first moment" and then they stripped the title off of Sting right after due to them having a shoddy finish. A few months later, Hogan had the belt back and held it until he lost to Goldberg.

The Lex moment was really cool live, don't get me wrong, but everything constantly led back to Hogan. Like, Lex had less than a week with it before Hulk got it back. Sting got a run for a couple months after winning the vacant title, dropped it to Randy Savage and the next night Hulk beat Randy to win the belt back. Hulk kept it until Goldberg beat him. After Goldberg lost to Nash, they did the finger poke and Hogan had the belt again.

He did actually solidly put Piper over at Starrcade 1996, but then the title wasn't on the line for the main event of their biggest show of the year for some reason.

Looking over the WCW Title history is fascinating. There was another one in 1999 where Savage had it for one day only to drop it back to Hogan. That's two one day title runs just to give it back to Hogan.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Luger deserved that moment. He lead the charge against the NWO for a good chunk of that storyline. It was weird, but it also necessary. Hogan was a champ for a year and even if it was a few days til Hogan won it again, the fans needed a calm before going back into the endless pit of despair that was the NWO Arc. Hogan never really put Sting over. Starcadde 97 was a giant mess. I have no idea who put that match together, but they should have been fired immediately. The NWO should have attacked Sting, ref screw job then Bret shows up. Not Hogan destroys Sting for 90 percent of the match, they fuck up the kick out then Bret looks like a crazy person. Just dumb all around.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    If memory serves me correctly, it was the 100th episode of Nitro and for a TV match, had been built up for at least a week. But yeah, lost it back 5 days later at Road Wild.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Book it. Orange Cassidy is my favorite guy right now and Braun is damaged goods. Honestly, minus DB and AJ, no one can really put another person over in that company. Mainly, because there are no real stars. Who is the face of the WWE that people tune in for. Maybe Becky, but she is on a NWO Hogan role right now of never losing. Kofi could maybe be that guy, but they never got behind him. Seth and Roman should be those guys, but got stuck in Brock Lesnar hell. Vince can't make massive stars anymore. Honestly, you go to WWE when your star has faded.

HHH never put anyone over, but made sure people like Foley, Rock and other made him look good. Killed an entire generation of wrestlers doing that.

It's ridiculous to say HHH never put anyone over. HHH put over both Batista and Orton in a big way, and he did a lot to help get Sheamus over, to make him look like he belonged in the spot he was given. And HHH did a lot to help establish Kurt Angle.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    It's ridiculous to say HHH never put anyone over. HHH put over both Batista and Orton in a big way, and he did a lot to help get Sheamus over, to make him look like he belonged in the spot he was given. And HHH did a lot to help establish Kurt Angle.
    He also fucking tapped out to Chris Benoit at WrestleMania XX. He jobbed to Cena at WrestleMania as well.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, big difference between LOSING and putting someone over. Triple H has definitely put people over. The names that stand out for sure, Batista and Orton. Benoit is a good nod as well because Triple H was still on his Jeff Jarrett NWA-TNA style run so someone tapping him out was fucking unheard of, right?

Someone else I think he put over was Shelton Benjamin. Shelton went from just the black guy in Team Angle to a HOLY SHIT THIS DUDE IS LEGIT overnight. All it took was that one match with Triple H, because again, Triple H was not losing that often and even when he did he usually looked fine and the other guy took 2 steps back lol.

I'll even go a step further. Cody Rhodes. Legacy v. DX, shittttt. Cody and Ted working with HBK and Triple H, and fucking beating them! It was a good booking decision no doubt.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luger deserved that moment. He lead the charge against the NWO for a good chunk of that storyline. It was weird, but it also necessary. Hogan was a champ for a year and even if it was a few days til Hogan won it again, the fans needed a calm before going back into the endless pit of despair that was the NWO Arc. Hogan never really put Sting over. Starcadde 97 was a giant mess. I have no idea who put that match together, but they should have been fired immediately. The NWO should have attacked Sting, ref screw job then Bret shows up. Not Hogan destroys Sting for 90 percent of the match, they fuck up the kick out then Bret looks like a crazy person. Just dumb all around.
    Or—and I know this is crazy—Sting just comes in and beats Hogan without any tomfoolery.

They could even close then with Bret showing up on the ramp and having a solid stare down while the locker room floods the ring to celebrate, ala Bret/Owen.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I'm fine with Sting winning in any fashion than what took place. Let me get back to HHH. He did not put Orton over..like at all. He beat after Orton got his first title then through most of the year til he finally put Batista over. He beat him at WM 25 in one of the worst Mania Main Events. And Orton just became his avatar during the Bryan feud til HHH wanted another pointless Mania match. The Legacy feud was Cody and Ted beating up HBK in their tag match with HHH who no showed.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto with Jericho and RVD. Didn't out over either guy there either and probably should have done.

The Booker T one is the one that rankles the most though. The angle, the outcome, how it was executed - absolutely disgusting.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I always remember RVD coming out in a Royal Rumble and getting a massive pop. Could have been 2002. He cleans house for about 30 seconds and then he walks in to a pedigree. He lies there for about 3 days before HHH nonchalantly drops him over the top rope.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RVD was very unfortunate that when he came in Austin and Angle were both ahead of him and then HHH.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They might have been ahead of him, but he was higher then them.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    They might have been ahead of him, but he was higher then them.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Triple H at times does come across as a guy who just puts himself in situation after situation hoping he'll finally be on the level of Austin, Rock, Hogan, Flair, Bruno, the legends of the legends. Triple H in his own right is a household name no doubt. But I think he personally feels like no matter who he's defeated, no matter what he does on the mic or in a storyline, he'll never be on that level. So he keeps doing all this shit even to this day like "finally" beating the Undertaker or winning the World title at 45, beating Sting, all of this still going on and it's like dude.....How many people need to still put YOU over before you're satisfied?

But then you have to go, dude, stick with NXT. Even if you're self-serving so you can go "And look guys, Austin never started a successful 3rd brand!" Just keep bringing us NXT because it's awesome and it'll be the biggest positive Triple H contributed to not just the WWE but the wrestling world in general.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hogan's heel run in WCW was consistently the worst. He lost 3 times to Piper... Lost to Lex... and then to Sting.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    HHH is able to start NXT is due to fucking Stephanie and then marrying her.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    Hogan's heel run in WCW was consistently the worst. He lost 3 times to Piper... Lost to Lex... and then to Sting.
    Again, losing is not putting someone over. There's more to it than just laying down. He might not have put many people over in terms of losing, but he put the whole company over by turning heel and joining the NWO. The 90's without Hogan and Austin switching spots would have soured so many more fans.

HHH is able to start NXT is due to fucking Stephanie and then marrying her.
    Eh, I don't like that mentality. So what? That's like saying had Flex McMahon not fucked Linda and had a girl then NXT wouldn't exist. We don't know if that's true or not. Triple H had stroke due to the Klik. He was pulling strings thanks to his friendship and professionalism with Vince.

You know why I let Trips off the hook? Because he took the fall for the Curtain Call. And because of that, we got Stone Cold Steve Austin. So say what you want with the tired jab about him fucking the boss' daughter, IMHO, Triple H would be in probably the same spot he is now with or without Stephanie.

It's not like if Stephanie married Test or some random banker they'd be the COO and have NXT and be the legend Triple H is. Triple H put in the work way before he started fucking Stephanie. The guy is clean living, die hard wrestling fan. It just bothers a lot of fans when wrestlers who are already at the top become top guys behind the scenes. Again, Triple H would be where he is today with or without being married to Stephanie.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    HHH is treated like a legend, because he married Steph. He can't get around it. For better or worse that is part of his legacy.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HHH is treated like a legend, because he married Steph. He can't get around it. For better or worse that is part of his legacy.
    Because he’s smart and he’s living the dream and not doing anything we wouldn’t do. If anyone got the chance to bang and marry someone as hot as Steph to reach the top of the company, we’d do it too. Fuck what the unwashed masses say.

Does he give a fuck? On top of that as well as Steph, he’s doing a bang-up job with NXT like booking Balor right.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was world champion when he was dating Chyna. He was going to be a top guy no matter what. Has nothing to do with Stephanie. They were high on him from the start. He's from Greenwich for fuck's sake, Vince probably considered him a son from the start.

I get it, the ignorant narrative is one I had as well but it's just ignorance and jealousy. Jealousy from talent and jealousy from fans. Success does this to people, it's called being a hater.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not actually from Greenwich, silly goose.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HHH spent a long time being horrendous and it's no secret that I couldn't stand him. But even I haven't had a problem with him over the last ten years or so. Probably about the time he did that brief thing with Jeff Hardy I think.

I think asides from Batista and Benoit he didn't do a fat lot for anyone other than himself back in the day. But I actually think he has played a hand in a lot of the better things over the last decade. His hand in some of the duds like the Reigns/title debacle was horse shit but I can see why they did that in an attempt to salvage some heat for Roman.

Yeah he's guilty for some serious burials, but since stepping back from full time he tends to add more to who he comes up against than detract for me... For the most part.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He denied us Sting v Taker which was always a dream match. No one was pining for HHH v Sting.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad they didn't go that way, it would've been shit by that point in time.

At least the match that went ahead had some saft nostalgic run ins to carry it through, even if it wasn't the obvious choice.

Sting/Taker was far too late and is best left on the 'what if?' pile.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not actually from Greenwich, silly goose.
    In the WWE Universe he is from Greenwich, CT damn you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    I'm glad they didn't go that way, it would've been shit by that point in time.

At least the match that went ahead had some saft nostalgic run ins to carry it through, even if it wasn't the obvious choice.

Sting/Taker was far too late and is best left on the 'what if?' pile.

I disagree. By WM 31, Taker could still go, Sting could still go. Shit people acted like Sting hadn't been wrestling pretty much since WCW ended on a limited schedule and he was having great matches in TNA against all types of wrestlers of all ages and health lol.

There's not much to a Sting or Taker match to begin with. I think the quality of a match between them is 2nd while the imagery of these 2 iconic characters throwing down is at the top. Very few people in my lifetime have cared about Undertaker or Sting matches being wonderful. You know what you're getting with these 2.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

he was having great matches in TNA against all types of wrestlers of all ages and health lol.
    Yes, that match he had with Jeff Hardy was exceptional!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that match he had with Jeff Hardy was exceptional!
    Many of the words I used in my post were pluralized lol.

But hey it goes to show that Sting can have a match with anyone, any style, any state of mind

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yes I was joking around! I've only ever seen....4 Sting matches and that was one of them haha. vs. Rollins, vs. HHH, and vs. Big Show were the other ones.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I was joking around! I've only ever seen....4 Sting matches and that was one of them haha. vs. Rollins, vs. HHH, and vs. Big Show were the other ones.
    Damn dude you either need the Network or hit up Youtube lol. Sting is a legit icon. You're doing yourself a disservice by not checking out more of his work my friend!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to give a shout out to Mr. Perfect.

He made Hogan look amazing, other than Savage who had a better match with Hogan?

Then you fast forward a couple years. He put over Bret Hart. When Bret beat Mr. Perfect, omg it was insane how much that helped Bret. He had a great feud with Shawn Michaels that really made Shawn look like he belonged.

I don't know who could have made those 2 guys look great going into the IC title picture than Perfect.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man you need to watch some WCW. Not often I say that

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree. By WM 31, Taker could still go, Sting could still go. Shit people acted like Sting hadn't been wrestling pretty much since WCW ended on a limited schedule and he was having great matches in TNA against all types of wrestlers of all ages and health lol.

There's not much to a Sting or Taker match to begin with. I think the quality of a match between them is 2nd while the imagery of these 2 iconic characters throwing down is at the top. Very few people in my lifetime have cared about Undertaker or Sting matches being wonderful. You know what you're getting with these 2.
    Totally agree. Instead they waste both of them in other matches. Bray is damaged good and HHH is not the icon that Taker is (despite all the WWE propaganda to the contrary)

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to give a shout out to Mr. Perfect.

He made Hogan look amazing, other than Savage who had a better match with Hogan?

Then you fast forward a couple years. He put over Bret Hart. When Bret beat Mr. Perfect, omg it was insane how much that helped Bret. He had a great feud with Shawn Michaels that really made Shawn look like he belonged.

I don't know who could have made those 2 guys look great going into the IC title picture than Perfect.
    Bret in particular. He let him kick out of the perfectplex and submitted to the sharpshooter straight away at SS 91. Their KOTR match was even better, one of my faves of all time. I love listening to JR, Heenan and Savage during that match as you can tell they are all loving it.

Probably Bret Harts best ever opponent.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree. Instead they waste both of them in other matches. Bray is damaged good and HHH is not the icon that Taker is (despite all the WWE propaganda to the contrary)
    Triple H v. Sting just felt like another "Let's have Triple H beat ANOTHER top WCW guy" Think about all the top guys he beat post buyout. Scott Steiner, Booker T-the last 2 World champions beat within months of each other in WWE by Trips. Goldberg was beat a few months later. He's also defeated his boy Kevin Nash several times, he beat Ric Flair's ass, years later puts the nail in the coffin and beat Sting.

I'm sure he probably pedigreed DDP a few times as well. So basically every single top guy from the MNW he beat. He beat Hulk's ass too right? Didn't he beat Hogan in a #1 contender's match? I'm too lazy to look it up. I know Hulk beat him obviously but I thought they fought down the road and Triple H won the 2nd match.....

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bret in particular. He let him kick out of the perfectplex and submitted to the sharpshooter straight away at SS 91. Their KOTR match was even better, one of my faves of all time. I love listening to JR, Heenan and Savage during that match as you can tell they are all loving it.

Probably Bret Harts best ever opponent.
    And I think it was legit that going into that Summerslam match Mr. Perfect had injured his back which I THINK is what caused him to semi-retire and go to commentary. He didn't wrestle too often after that match. A little feud with Shawn that was AMAZING, the KOTR matches, and some stuff against Ric Flair here and there.

Then he comes back to the WWF (after a decent stint in WCW) and tears the fucking house down with Stone Cold in the main event of Raw. Which leads to him getting signed again...only to be fired for trying to fuck with Lesnar and almost killing everyone on the plane ride from hell. Dies shortly after

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He seemed to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time as far as getting the big title goes. I say the greatest talent ever not to win the big one, marginally above Owen, Hall and Dibiase IMO.

Such a sad ending to his life as well as his career.
    Last edited by Badger; November 7th, 2019 at 4:38 PM. Reason: Forgot Hall

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He seemed to always be in the wrong place at the wrong time as far as getting the big title goes. I say the greatest talent ever not to win the big one, marginally above Owen, Hall and Dibiase IMO.

Such a sad ending to his life as well as his career.
    Ahem, you're going to get these hands for saying that. Braun Strowman > Mr. Perfect > Snitsky > Jim Duggan

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahem, you're going to get these hands for saying that. Braun Strowman > Mr. Perfect > Snitsky > Jim Duggan
    I omitted Braun because he still has a chance. His career’s not over yet.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say though that while Braun is still over, he has lost a lot of steam and needs a big boost to remain a credible challenger.

Royal Rumble feels like a must-win for him and he’s actually got two decent options if they do if the title situations stay the way they are. Getting that long awaited win at Mania or being the one to finally stop the Fiend which it looked like they were teasing months ago but haven’t gone back to since.

It would go some way to regain the lost momentum he’s had, if they don’t pull the trigger on him by next year’s Mania then while still not impossible, it would feel more like a token title reign rather than something big and the iron would be struck cold rather than hot.

Saying that though knowing how they like to play safe, they may just go the safe dull route and have Seth win again. Hope they don’t.
    Last edited by Badger; November 7th, 2019 at 5:05 PM.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I will say though that while Braun is still over, he has lost a lot of steam and needs a big boost to remain a credible challenger.

Royal Rumble feels like a must-win for him and he’s actually got two decent options if they do if the title situations stay the way they are. Getting that long awaited win at Mania or being the one to finally stop the Fiend which it looked like they were teasing months ago but haven’t gone back to since.

It would go some way to regain the lost momentum he’s had, if they don’t pull the trigger on him by next year’s Mania then while still not impossible, it would feel more like a token title reign rather than something big and the iron would be struck cold rather than hot.
    They've had opportunity after opportunity. He'll never be the top guy, they value others way much more.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They've had opportunity after opportunity. He'll never be the top guy, they value others way much more.
    Like I said in my little edit, they may just go with Seth winning again as it’s their comfort zone. Their hand was forced by the overwhelming backlash and support for Bryan but I doubt Braun would get that kind of treatment.

“These hands” are a safe pair of hands in creative and Vince’s mind at the moment. Valuable in protecting him somewhat but not enough to go all the way. Be great if they did though.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If only Jazz came back to be his manager. Get these Jazz Hands.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have Arn and Christian manage him. Hands Christian Anderson.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Braun's fine. We're in an era where people think the only validation anymore is if you're the World/Universal champion. We're over here talking about how MR PERFECT was never a World champion in WWF and a list of other super over wrestlers are on that list (Piper, Snake Roberts, Owen, Razor). But nowadays...Kofi Kingston gets a title because people felt like tenure=you should get a title run. Jinder Mahal got a run to try and break into a market that cares more about sandals and cricket than they do pretty much anything else.

Rewind it back to Kofi. 11 years before he won the big one and he had a 6 month reign! Strowman has plenty of time.

But I do agree that they probably value a few others more. Roman springs to mind immediately. I thought a great fantasy booking idea would be for post-Survivor Series we start building toward The Fiend defending against Strowman at Mania. Strowman winning the Rumble and then dethroning the unstoppable Fiend would be a great story.

Sadly, that story is more than likely going to be one that involves someone that rhymes with Strowman because it's been a grip since that guy was in a World title feud. Why not have Roman headline ANOTHER Mania and win the gold again....yayyyyy

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way how unstoppable the Fiend has been booked so far, it’ll take a sheer avalanche to stop him and Strowman is the sheer force that realistically and credibly should be the one as long as they with multiple powerslame as long as they don’t overdo it (on a side note, I get Fury beating him but a bit narked that he got up right after one). If they have Roman or Seth throw 10-20 curb stomps or spears to stop the Fiend, the fans will more than likely take a giant shit on it. Strowman making a bit of effort is at least credible and believable plus I do hope they build on their Wyatt Family history and the Fiend’s claw attack.

Also for the love of God WWE, please don’t do what I’ll actually think you’ll do and have Braun piss away a Rumble title shot against the Fiend while Seth or Roman win the Rumble. Surprise and intrigue me please by doing it the other way round.

I won’t quite compare this to Vince needing to take a chance like he did with Austin as they weren’t on the death of extinction like they were with WCW, but them breaking the norm and the safe mold with Braun winning the Rumble and Mania would not only revitalise him but also interest in the product and the fact he’s not your atypical golden boy. True Braun still has plenty time but going into next year is perhaps the last truly hot time they’ll truly get to do it. As long as it took with Kofi, it was felt like a wonderful surprise out of nowhere albeit slightly at the expense of Ali. Braun had more repeated chances over his time with the title than Kofi and it would be best if they struck the iron while it was still somewhat hot than just lukewarm.

On another note, I should have also mentioned Piper and Jake in my prior post about World Champs that weren’t. They maybe had Perfect just beat on psychology but they were still in the Hogan era save Jake’s late mid-90s rub which ironically him losing and not going further led to the machine that was Austin.
    Last edited by Badger; November 7th, 2019 at 6:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure Sting/Taker would have been infinitely better than Goldberg/Taker.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been pretty skittish on the idea of AJ putting anyone over to a high degree over the last year or two but I think we've finally come to a scenario where he's likely going to with what's happening with the NXT stuff.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sting in full Crow mode challenging Taker’s streak would have been far better than Lesnar ending it.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    I've been pretty skittish on the idea of AJ putting anyone over to a high degree over the last year or two but I think we've finally come to a scenario where he's likely going to with what's happening with the NXT stuff.
    If they turned AJ face again, face AJ vs heel Balor would be as Matt Hardy would say “wooooonderfulll!”