User Tag List

View Poll Results: World Cup 2022?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Same as planned. Top players in Qatar in Dec.

6 100.00%

Thread: Prediction Time: World Cup '22

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prediction Time: World Cup '22

It seems like FIFA is going forward with the Qatar plans. This seems like the perfect opportunity for UEFA to get some power back from FIFA. If they scheduled a summer tournament between all the players in Europe (divided by league or by nationality), it would be just as good as the WC if not better (less filler teams). Similar to how the NBA is talking about getting rid of the FIBA basketball WC and running their own international tournament. No reason to share the money when you are paying everyone (reports this week were 75% of WC players play in European leagues).

So lets get our predictions on record - Will the top players in Europe be playing at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar? Are football fans going to be happy with the WC ruining their domestic seasons? What is more important to fans these days, leagues or WC? What is more important to the sponsors (since they are the only ones that really matter)?

*Question for UKers - who has the TV rights to WC 2022? Is it the same as who has domestic EPL rights (as of now, I know the contracts haven't been signed)? Here in the US, FOX/Sky has the rights but they also have NFL which will take priority. I imagine they will have an issue since they bid on a summer TV show, not winter. Are there similar issues in the UK?
    Last edited by _me; February 25th, 2015 at 1:07 PM.

The Rob Lee of FC Rajah
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to happen in December, in Qatar. Because: money.

I believe that ITV/BBC have rights for the World Cup unless something changes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23288211

Simon
    I'm more interested in discussing which players Tim Sherwood will be teleporting to Asia to make up his Great Britain squad.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reech View Post
    This is going to happen in December, in Qatar. Because: money.

I believe that ITV/BBC have rights for the World Cup unless something changes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23288211
    Money is the only reason I think there is a chance it could not happen. I think there could be more money behind domestic football than the world cup.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats done is done now. They should just get on with it and stop moaning. Its only a game.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Whats done is done now. They should just get on with it and stop moaning. Its only a game.
    It used to be a game. Now it is a money making enterprise.

And staging it when the USA, where a lot of money is, will completely ignore it (cause it is against NFL, college football, NBA and NHL seasons) will not make the people paying for it happy. Same with delaying the seasons that companies spent billions to sponsor them. And if those sponsors complain, then something could actually change. I agree that fans complaining mean nothing to the people running things.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    It used to be a game. Now it is a money making enterprise.

And staging it when the USA, where a lot of money is, will completely ignore it (cause it is against NFL, college football, NBA and NHL seasons) will not make the people paying for it happy. Same with delaying the seasons that companies spent billions to sponsor them. And if those sponsors complain, then something could actually change. I agree that fans complaining mean nothing to the people running things.
    Good, I hope something does change because football the way it is currently is just shit.

Im more than happy for a Middle Eastern nation to get the World Cup as I am a big fan of every region getting it, its just the wrong nation for me. Qatar is tiny and the are hardly known as a footballing powerhouse even in Asia. Mind you the only nation who would fit the bill would be Saudi Arabia but there are other issues with them getting it.