User Tag List

Thread: Discuss your single greatest MOMENT as a supporter...

The Rosk

Discuss your single greatest MOMENT as a supporter...

Everyone here (bar Cappy, but Andy will cover him) has a football team they support. Over a beer last night the topic was what the single greatest, most exciting moment we ever had as a fan of a club/country.

One stands out in particular to me as a Villa fan. Had some highs believe it or not (going to Wembley twice, smashing United and stopping them from the treble in 94 and battering Leeds with a wonderful team in 96) and also condemning Coventry to relegation with a 3-2 victory after being 2-0 down was fantastic. And the 5-1 vs Birmingham was a joyous 90 minutes.

But there was one moment in 1998 that has never pulled such a reaction out of me and Villa Park as a whole - quarter finals of the UEFA Cup (back when it fucking meant something) and we were playing Atletico Madrid in the second leg at Villa Park. We were going well in the League. John Gregory (a Villa man) had got us at the top for half the season and now we had to turn round a 1-0 loss in the first game. We went 1-0 down so had to score three goals to go through. Around 70 minutes after the crowd had been relentless in its support, Ian Taylor (another Villa man through and through, still sits in the Holte End as a fan to this day as he did as a kid) scores a goal to give some hope and the genuine feeling that we could do it. And then just two minutes later, the ball comes to the man we'd put all our hopes on to be the player that took us to that next level that we'd been aching for, yet another Villa man who'd supported them as a club and our record signing, Stan Collymore.

Skip to 2:50 in this video. A player coming up through the Villa ranks, Lee Hendrie, fighting for the ball and runnig his heart out all game is the man to pass it to Stan, and then the reaction from what happens next was just beyond cheers, it was just a huge, sentimental belief that this might be it, this could be our ascent into greatness, this could be Villa, with a Villa man as manager, a Villa fan scoring the first and the Villa fan that could give us that push to that top level scoring like this, and finally seemingly showing the confidence and screaming with the crowd like the fan he was growing up...

Believe it or not, it's been 20 years for me now going to Villa games and nothing has come close to that moment. As a 15 year old in the Holte End, all I remember was jumping in a mass of adults going crazy, arms around each other, full of hope and excitement. I somehow moved four rows in the mass of people, and didn't give a fuck about my bag/wallet because this genuinely became in everyone's head the most important 20 minutes of my life.

Nothing has ever touched that for the absolute high of a moment that it created. Everything fell into place perfectly, and even though we couldn't go on to score the third despite camping in their half for 20 minutes, it was a truly amazing moment that just transcended general football fan stuff. We were so close we could almost taste it. But then Stan had to go mental and beat Ulrika and Yorke left for United so yeah.

What's your best MOMENT as a fan?

The Rosk
    Fuck me I get goosebumps to this day watching that and the reaction to his goal. Real shivers. This is why I get so fucking angry at the dull fucking bollocks of the modern day shite. Hate it. 11 in 22 fuck off.

Simon
    Lennon's goal to make it 4-0 in the League Cup semi against Arsenal. I'm sure some people will laugh at that relatively minor moment being the pinnacle of my life as a Spurs fan, and I've had some fantastic moments as a Spurs fan - winning the League Cup a couple of times, a handful of moments during the late run to qualifying for the CL a few years back (Rose's screamer against Arsenal and the Crouch goal against City to ensure we qualified), Bale's hat trick against Inter and Crouch's winner at San Siro...but for pure, delerious happiness, it would have to be this one.

Around that time we were still very 'Spurs-y' - IIRC we had let slip a two goal lead in the first leg - and despite scoring in the first minute and enjoying a bit of luck with a Bendtner own goal, I remember at half-time just reliving all the times we'd fucked up from winning positions, convinced we'd somehow conspire to mess it up. Then Keane scored early in the second half, and those feelings were both quelled and exacerbated - we were less likely to cock it up, but if we did it would be even more embarrassing. Then it hit the hour mark without any worries, and I started to believe...and then Lennon scored a great goal, and all those fears vanished - not only were we not going to mess it up, not only were we going to Wembley, but we were making our arch enemies look like a right bunch of cunts while we were at it.

Sadly in the video above the crowd reaction is difficult to hear, but it backs up everything I've just said - it's not a 'normal' celebration of a goal, even an important one like that. When Jenas scored after 30 seconds there was excitement that we might just do it, and when the second and third went in the crowd were buzzing...but that crowd reaction is just mayhem. Unadulterated, almost disbelieving joy at what was going on. It was utterly incredible and I'll never forget it. As I say, you can HEAR the difference in the crowd - there's a WHOOSH of excitement and joy as Lennon buries the chance, and it goes on for ages. It's like nothing I've ever heard, including more important and dramatic goals.

I have to admit that in the following minutes, once the moment had passed, and I did still manage to convince myself we'd fuck it up, not least when Arsenal pulled one back - and it was only in injury time, at 4-1 up, that I began to relax. But that Lennon goal and the next 60 seconds or so - that was total, joyous happiness, the sort you rarely get to feel. It's at 3m25 in this video.

For a more obvious one, Beckham's free kick against Greece. Just impossibly, beautifully dramatic. It's a cliche to say it, but it really was like a film. The hero coming up against impossible odds almost single-handedly and getting closer and closer to his goal (he had earlier free kicks, each closer to the target than the last), the incredible importance of that single moment, not just the last minute of the match but of the entire qualification, the perfect technique to send it towards goal, the goalkeeper playing his part in accentuating the drama as he simply stands and watches, unable to do anything. Perfect football drama.

Last edited by Simon; January 22nd, 2015 at 9:55 AM.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk

1992, penultimate game of the season and we were in the cack, about to drop into Division Three and pretty much disappear forever.

Horrible, horrible game for 85 minutes we were doomed, then the whole place exploded.

We've had bigger moments as a club that I have seen, winning the Championship the next year at a canter, nearly winning the league, European nights, watching players like Stuart Pearce, Allan Shearer, Gazza, Peter Beardsley, David Ginola and Patrick Kluivert in a Newcastle shirt and some simply incredible games, but for me Kelly saved my club, without him we would have faded away like Leeds. I'm sitting here now welling up with the emotion, and to have been in the Flag with my brother when it happened just adds to the moment for me.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly the whole day a few years ago when Newcastle went down. It was just one of the best days of my life, we got beat, they went down, it seemed like a real changing of the guard where from now on we were going to be the North East top dogs (what happened with that then?!), Newcastle looked such a badly run club that you could honestly imagine them going down again and eventually becoming bankrupt (they looked dreadful in the first game in the championship against West Brom, absolutely no confidence whatsoever and they managed to scrape a draw thanks to some ridiculous saves from Tim Krul...who was a last minute replacement and I honestly think that if they had lost that game they would've spiralled out of control, the whole team looked completely shot and desperate and the entire crowd was on edge).

The whole of the city of Sunderland was in a bizarre kind of utopia, it was bright sunshine, everywhere was packed, bars started giving away free drinks, all of a sudden there were impromptu free bbq's popping up everywhere. It was one of the nicest days of my life. Everyone was laughing and smiling and despite everyone being out drinking all day there was absolutely no trouble anywhere whatsoever. I made the mistake of ruining it somewhat by responding to a text from a mental ex (who happened to be a Newcastle supporter) and against my better judgement taking her home and slamming her (big mistake) when I should've stayed out with my friends and soaking it all up. But otherwise it was a magnificent experience.

Now I'm sure that someone will come along and complain about how my greatest football memory was the disappointment of my rivals rather than my own club's success...but thats just the way it is.

Alf
    My first is the moment Robbie Keane pushed through the crowd, tears streaming down his face, to hug Dimitar Berbatov, after we'd won the league cup against Chelsea. Teemu Tainio (the little Finn that could) gets special mention for being an utter bastard and shushing Ashley Cole.

My second one is a bit shit too... it was Edgar Davids debut in a friendly against Porto.

The whole stadium was buzzing, and when he came on the pitch the roar was deafening. It was an incredible reaction. And I bloody loved Davids. I just remember him being so iconic, and the fact Spurs had signed him was utterly mental.

We were proper shit back then, this was our line-up for the game:

Robinson (Capt.)(sub Cerny, 46); Stalteri, Dawson, Gardner, Edman; Routledge (sub Keane, 68), Tainio, Carrick, Reid (sub Davids, 60); Mido (sub Kanoute, 68), Defoe

Jesus.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God this is so tough.

I remember the mental times watching England beat Germany (1-0 and 5-1) and the Argues

However it has to be an Arsenal memory. I was too young for An field 89 (7), and I did throughly enjoy winning the title at OT in 2002 and 3 point Lane 2 years later.

However, for it has to be the semi final second leg against Villa real in 2006. Was living at Highbury at that time, and we went straight to the gunners pub round the corner.

Was well nervous, downing quite a few beers in a packed bar with sky sports filming us...89 minutes still 0-0 and Riquelme has a pen, Lehmann goes the right way keeps it out and suddenly complete pandamonieum...covered in beer, glasses gone random strangers hugging each other, including Gus from East enders! After staggering home at about 3am after a lock in, saw a text from my mate saying he saw me going completely mental on sky sports when the pen saved.

We lost the CL final that year but I will never ever forget that second leg semi final

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Honestly the whole day a few years ago when Newcastle went down. It was just one of the best days of my life
    Brilliant.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    England memories, I watched the 5-1 win in a pub in Ayr while on a stag weekend, pub full of drunk kilt wearing Scotts (they played someone that day as well) and twenty or so hammered English rugby players, wonderful atmosphere and no problems at all.

Simon
    I watched the 5-1 in a huff at home after my mates backed out of going to watch some shitty local wrestling show in favour of going to watch the game round a mate's house on his big screen. I refused to come out of spite and sat at home watching it on a shitty little TV in my bedroom. Showed them.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing West Ham get promoted back into the Premier League. I don't support them, but this season I pretty much went to every single home game with one of my mates who was a season ticket holder. Due to unforeseen circumstances I was able to go to so many games, it was the first time I actually felt like I was invested into a team. When it went into Extra Time and Carlton scored, the place erupted.

Second to that would probably be seeing Dynamo Dresden vs West Ham. 31,000 turned out for a pre-season friendly match, and all the banned West Ham fans were there including a guy called 'Army Al' because he used to be in the army. We called him 'Qualmy Al' and he threatened to stab us. West Ham got thumped, we got smashed, it was pretty humbling to see the turnout from Dresden.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I'm cheating, but watching Man United win the European Cup in 1999 in the most dramatic way you can. I don't need to talk about it, everyone knows about it.

I was only about 12 at the time and I used to go to the pub with my Dad every Wednesday and watch the Champions League games, it was only a little village pub but the place was fairly full. My overriding memories of the atmosphere were a bloke repeatedly shouting "change your pants alex" at the full time whistle and a bloke singing United songs on his own sat next to me and saying I'll remember where I was when this happened and the mad bloke I was sat next to.

2008 was pretty good too, like. I even remember posting on here and saying how it felt like one of the best days of my life and Smell it? called me "sad" - or words to that end. Good times.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hard for me to remember one better than turdy's pick. I'd probably put that right at the top for me personally.
    After that there's loads of others that come to mind. Rooney's overhead kick against City, Gazza against Scotland. One that doesnt get enough love is that Macheda goal against Villa. That was a bit special, to be fair.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Macheda one is a great shout, I was watching that with a Villa supporting mate. Probably made that 1.5x better.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll post a better post when I'm sober but the following would be mine. Number three might be surprising in that I'd assume most would assume it would be my no.1:

1. Germany 1-5 England
    2. Chelsea 1-1 Southend
    3. Southend 1-0 Manchester United

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I win RFF this year then that would blow the rest out of the water tbh

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    I'll post a better post when I'm sober but the following would be mine. Number three might be surprising in that I'd assume most would assume it would be my no.1:

1. Germany 1-5 England
    2. Chelsea 1-1 Southend
    3. Southend 1-0 Manchester United
    I honestly thought that game between Melbourne Heart and whoever it was would make the list somewhere. Top 10,000,000 maybe?

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bwahahaha It was against the team from New Zealand. Fuck that was bad. Bad, bad football.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    bwahahaha It was against the team from New Zealand. Fuck that was bad. Bad, bad football.
    If only it was this year... you could watch Duff and Koren tearing it up (still alongside most the plonkers that you witnessed last year).

You didn't see me, right? HHHnFoley_Rulez's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to see Hartlepool Vs Sheffield Wednesday in the 2004/05 League One playoff final. I was more of a Pools supporter then, sort of just about, only just moving miles away.. watched the playoffs in the student bar where there was 1 Tranmere fan, a couple of Sunderland fans (...) and me and my friends who didn't care. I was looking sick as a dog as that game went to penalties. Then did the quiet fistpump celebration when we won it.

Anyway, went to Cardiff in a game we ultimately lost (and 8 hours in a cramped minibus didn't help) but the atmosphere was incredible. From half the town seemingly going despite never going to the games... My "moment" from that game was Jon Daly coming on. This giant Nordic guy stood in front of us said "Oh no.. not Jon Daly.." to which I replied "You never know, he might win it.." as a joke.... Im not sure how long it was after he came on, must have been a minute or less, but he bloody well scored and obvious everyones going mental.. this guy turns round with a massive kid-at-christmas grin on his face and we all hug jumping up and down laughing and shouting. Special.

...and then Sheff Wed cheated, got Westwood sent off and got promoted over us. Wankers.

From watching Newcastle since I've been at Uni (and before, just mainly at Uni so I could "banter" with my Liverpool/United/Arsenal supporting mates - wankers) I thoroughly enjoyed us beating Liverpool a while back. And Tiote smashing in from 30 yards to make it 4-4 against Arsenal. I'd have done cartwheels if I didn't think I'd have died trying.
    Last edited by HHHnFoley_Rulez; January 23rd, 2015 at 2:28 AM.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    I honestly thought that game between Melbourne Heart and whoever it was would make the list somewhere. Top 10,000,000 maybe?
    I went to Melbourne Heart v Melbourne Victory last season. 4-0. Good game to be fair.

Wouldn't make my top 5 games of all time though obviously.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite moment is beating Yeovil on the final day on the 2007/08 season to snatch 2nd spot and get promoted back to the championship.

A bit like Mik mentioned earlier, the whole city was buzzing with no trouble either.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony Watt

Celtic 2-0 Barcelona.

Indescribable.

Honourable mentions, Scott Mcdonald putting us 2-1 up against AC Milan, Nakamura free kick to put us 1-0 up against Man U, Larssons second header against Porto in the UEFA cup final, Boruc wins penalty shoot out against Spartak Moscow to get us in the Champions league, or Harrald Brattbak scoring a second against St Johnstone to win the league in 98 and stop ten in a row.

But Tony Watt, always.
    (INSERT SIGNATURE HERE)

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last day of the season we got promoted. We knew we'd won the league (by 12 points) and we just had a party. At the pub for opening, everyone buying each other drinks and then to the ground for kick off.

The place was packed (around 4500, which is huge for us) and we just sung for 90 minutes. Graz had scored 29 that season, we'd scored 90 goals and had a goal difference of +46 and from the 3rd game of the season we stayed top of the league. We won that game 3-1 and I cannot remember a single second of it until the 86th minute.

My absolute favourite moment as a Barnet fan came then.We won a penalty and our usual penalty taker, and captain Ian Hendon grabbed the ball. Every single person in that ground shouting in unison 'Give it to Clisty'. Out left back, Simon Clist, was the only outfield player in the entire squad who hadn't scored that season and he'd probably been our best player. Hendo gave Clisty the ball and he stepped up and...blazed the ball over with the worst penalty I've ever seen. It was fucking brilliant. It was just an incredible day full of football and was just everything I imagine from football.

---

The most emotional moment was standing in the centre circle with my brother after the last ever game at Underhill. We'd been going together for almost 20 years and because of our big age difference it was the only thing we really had in common and Underhill was our place. Standing there was absolutely horrible and I can't think about it without welling up but to do it with the person who looked after me on a packed terrace at 6 years old was amazing.

I wrote this the day before for someone who asked me what it felt like and whilst its GAAAAAAY I think it just summed up how i was feeling:

Tomorrow I have to say goodbye to one of my oldest friends. Its been 18 years and you've been there throughout the highs and the lows. You were my first true love and my second home and after tomorrow you'll be gone. It'll be emotional and I'll not want to leave but I must.
    From the first time I saw you in 1994 I knew you would be the love of my life and you truly were. Nothing has compared to you. So as I walk away from you for the final time I might cry but please know I don't feel sadness that you are gone. I'll be remembering.
    Remembering the times you made me happier than I've ever been, the times you made me angrier and downtrodden but I knew I'd be coming back. Remembering the times I was away for far too long but knowing that you'd welcome me back with no questions asked and no judgements made.
    You might not be the prettiest, you might not look the best but you were mine and because of that I'll love you forever and ever. Tomorrow, I'll walk away but please know that you'll always be in my heart and you'll always be my first true love.
    Yes there were times I spent with others, nights I was with them when you were empty, alone and dark. For that I'm sorry, truly truly sorry. But every moment I was with them I was wishing I was with you, longing for you. You were the only one. It was always you.
    So tomorrow, we'll part and both go on to other things but I'll think of you often and remember the good times because its all I'll have. Tomorrow, I'll say good bye to Underhill. My Underhill. I'll be there with the person it all started with in a fitting end.
    To Underhill, my first true love.

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    The last day of the season we got promoted. We knew we'd won the league (by 12 points) and we just had a party. At the pub for opening, everyone buying each other drinks and then to the ground for kick off.

The place was packed (around 4500, which is huge for us) and we just sung for 90 minutes. Graz had scored 29 that season, we'd scored 90 goals and had a goal difference of +46 and from the 3rd game of the season we stayed top of the league. We won that game 3-1 and I cannot remember a single second of it until the 86th minute.

My absolute favourite moment as a Barnet fan came then.We won a penalty and our usual penalty taker, and captain Ian Hendon grabbed the ball. Every single person in that ground shouting in unison 'Give it to Clisty'. Out left back, Simon Clist, was the only outfield player in the entire squad who hadn't scored that season and he'd probably been our best player. Hendo gave Clisty the ball and he stepped up and...blazed the ball over with the worst penalty I've ever seen. It was fucking brilliant. It was just an incredible day full of football and was just everything I imagine from football.

---

The most emotional moment was standing in the centre circle with my brother after the last ever game at Underhill. We'd been going together for almost 20 years and because of our big age difference it was the only thing we really had in common and Underhill was our place. Standing there was absolutely horrible and I can't think about it without welling up but to do it with the person who looked after me on a packed terrace at 6 years old was amazing.

I wrote this the day before for someone who asked me what it felt like and whilst its GAAAAAAY I think it just summed up how i was feeling:
    Really?

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, everyone probably bought each other cigarettes too...

The Rosk
    And then bought drinks for them afterwards? Bloody hell what a generous day. Why did you have a sexual relationship with a football stadium.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a dry spell.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add to mine that Derby and Leicester both got relegated on the same day too, so I think that added to the carnival atmosphere somewhat.

Derby will the lowest points total of any team in the entire world history of football too Peter

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple for me and I doubt I'll ever top it. European Cup final 2005, everything that happened that morning, afternoon, night and next day was the best thing in football that ever happened to me.

Classy new Stevie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    Simple for me and I doubt I'll ever top it. European Cup final 2005, everything that happened that morning, afternoon, night and next day was the best thing in football that ever happened to me.
    Yeah. I'm sure you loved the whole first half.

The Pride of the Midlands Prototype16's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loads of great moments - Autoglass wins, beating Cardiff in the '02 play off semi, various moments in the promotion year, the first year in the Premier League and the run to the cup final, and even the wins against Chelsea and Man Utd last season

But the best was a last minute equaliser at Villa in our first Premier League season, it was my first away trip of the season - we played them at the start of March, in the bottom three with only one win since November whilst they were challenging for a Champions' League spot at the time. We were awful in the first half and finally conceded just before the break, then improved a little in the second but John Carew scored a wonder goal with about 15 minutes to go to seemingly settle it. After that though the game suddenly changed, Whelan hit the post and we came close a few more times before Shawcross scored from a header in the '88th minute. There were only a couple of minutes injury time at the end but we launched the ball forward one last time, Sidibe fluffed a shot and it fell for Whelan to drive it into the bottom corner from the edge of the box. Incredible moment, the fans went mental- can't remember another goal celebration quite like it. After that we had a midweek game with Bolton which we won 2-0 and then went on a great run to stay up comfortably

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieV View Post
    Yeah. I'm sure you loved the whole first half.
    Can't remember first half

The Rosk
    Just bumping this because I'd like to hear a few more. These stories have been good.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Rangers vs Celtic scottish cup 2002

http://youtu.be/MfRwwY3kWkA

The Rosk
    Come on Mike. Open up.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    On my phone. I'll type something up laterz

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumping this, anyone got any more?

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the 1995 cup semi final against Spurs at Elland Road. Its a strange one for me as I wasn't actually there but I should have been.

Allow me to make a short story into a longer one...

After being football mad in my early years I kind of fell out of love with it around 1990, Everton were shit and I was at an age were I was doing stupid teenage stuff instead.

One week a mate in work couldnt go to the game against Ipswich Town (I think this was 1993) so I took his Junior Blue card and went instead (He was a red oddly enough...) we won 3-0 and I started to find my love for the game again.

Fast forward to the last day of the season game against Wimbledon. Most people know that game by now but we were getting crowds of around 15-20k at that time. Annoyingly I was refused entry five places away from the turnstile as the ground was full (I knew at least 10 reds in Goodison that day...) fuming, I went to watch the match from the trees in the Park End (The Park End was being rebuilt so you had a decent view from Stanley Park) but I thought to myself I am never letting this happen again so coughed up for a season ticket the next season.

It started horribly, our worst start ever to a season resulted in Mike Walker (remember him?) getting sacked and is appointing Blues legend Joe Royle.

We turned into the Dogs of War, basically a limited side full of passion and fight, we embarked on a cup run, a turgid game resulted in a 1-0 win against Bristol City at Ashton Gate in the 4th road in a game we could have easily lost. As soon as that goal went in I had a feeling we would win the cup.

We dispatched of Norwich 5-0, Newcastle 1-0 in the quarters and were then paired up with Spurs and Jurgen Klinsmann in the semis. The media gave us no chance and were talking about a dream final of Spurs and Manchester United (Spurs had something going on that year that I cant remember? Maybe the were banned from the cup and then got back in or something?)

Anyway I had my season ticket and I was going to Elland Road for the semi final, only a week or two beforehand I want to the Paradox (a night club in Aintree) were I saw my mates girlfriend throwing up, I picked her up like the gent that I am and she started kissing me, I thought what the hell why not (I was drunk OK?) and regretted it (not just because she is now his wife...) because I got glandular fever.

I was totally bedridden so had to give my ticket to a mate of mine. It was BBC1 for me.

And my god it was the best I have ever seen Everton play. Joe Parkinson dominated midfield, Anders Limpar terrorized their defence and we took an early lead through a Matt Jackson header from a corner.

Graham Stuart (love that man) got a second and we were flying. Yet all of a sudden Spurs began to creep back into the game, Spurs won a penalty after a dubious dive by Sheringham which Klinsmann buried.

Everton were rocking a bit, then Paul Rideout pulls up with a knock. He signals to the bench that he will be OK and Royle tells the subs to warm up but wait five minutes.

All of a sudden Daniel Amokachi strips off and wanders onto the pitch, basically subbing himself on with Royle flipping out as he runs on.

Amokachi had been somewhat of a flop to this point, signed for a record 3M fee from Club Brugges by Mike Walker after impressing at the 94 world cup he has scored one goal and was barely making the match day squad.

As soon as he comes on we break down the right hand side, ball comes in and Amokachi buries a header to make at 3-1 and basically won us the game. Then he went on to score another one after Spurs pushed forward to try and get back into it.

Annoyingly the highlights do not show the phantom substitution which is part of what makes the moment so great.

I did enjoy Royles comments after the match too which went along the lines of "Bollocks to your dream final, and you spell that with 2 L's"

Know what the sad part of this is? We are currently playing Watford and I have it on in the background, I have barely looked at the match this half as I would prefer to talk about past moments than watch this tedious shit. We are so boring.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Royle really was a grumpy git wasn't he

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    And Spurs have lost every FA Cup semi-final they've been in since. And the one prior to this, in '93.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Probably the 1995 cup semi final against Spurs at Elland Road. Its a strange one for me as I wasn't actually there but I should have been.

Allow me to make a short story into a longer one...

After being football mad in my early years I kind of fell out of love with it around 1990, Everton were shit and I was at an age were I was doing stupid teenage stuff instead.

One week a mate in work couldnt go to the game against Ipswich Town (I think this was 1993) so I took his Junior Blue card and went instead (He was a red oddly enough...) we won 3-0 and I started to find my love for the game again.

Fast forward to the last day of the season game against Wimbledon. Most people know that game by now but we were getting crowds of around 15-20k at that time. Annoyingly I was refused entry five places away from the turnstile as the ground was full (I knew at least 10 reds in Goodison that day...) fuming, I went to watch the match from the trees in the Park End (The Park End was being rebuilt so you had a decent view from Stanley Park) but I thought to myself I am never letting this happen again so coughed up for a season ticket the next season.

It started horribly, our worst start ever to a season resulted in Mike Walker (remember him?) getting sacked and is appointing Blues legend Joe Royle.

We turned into the Dogs of War, basically a limited side full of passion and fight, we embarked on a cup run, a turgid game resulted in a 1-0 win against Bristol City at Ashton Gate in the 4th road in a game we could have easily lost. As soon as that goal went in I had a feeling we would win the cup.

We dispatched of Norwich 5-0, Newcastle 1-0 in the quarters and were then paired up with Spurs and Jurgen Klinsmann in the semis. The media gave us no chance and were talking about a dream final of Spurs and Manchester United (Spurs had something going on that year that I cant remember? Maybe the were banned from the cup and then got back in or something?)

Anyway I had my season ticket and I was going to Elland Road for the semi final, only a week or two beforehand I want to the Paradox (a night club in Aintree) were I saw my mates girlfriend throwing up, I picked her up like the gent that I am and she started kissing me, I thought what the hell why not (I was drunk OK?) and regretted it (not just because she is now his wife...) because I got glandular fever.

I was totally bedridden so had to give my ticket to a mate of mine. It was BBC1 for me.

And my god it was the best I have ever seen Everton play. Joe Parkinson dominated midfield, Anders Limpar terrorized their defence and we took an early lead through a Matt Jackson header from a corner.

Graham Stuart (love that man) got a second and we were flying. Yet all of a sudden Spurs began to creep back into the game, Spurs won a penalty after a dubious dive by Sheringham which Klinsmann buried.

Everton were rocking a bit, then Paul Rideout pulls up with a knock. He signals to the bench that he will be OK and Royle tells the subs to warm up but wait five minutes.

All of a sudden Daniel Amokachi strips off and wanders onto the pitch, basically subbing himself on with Royle flipping out as he runs on.

Amokachi had been somewhat of a flop to this point, signed for a record 3M fee from Club Brugges by Mike Walker after impressing at the 94 world cup he has scored one goal and was barely making the match day squad.

As soon as he comes on we break down the right hand side, ball comes in and Amokachi buries a header to make at 3-1 and basically won us the game. Then he went on to score another one after Spurs pushed forward to try and get back into it.

Annoyingly the highlights do not show the phantom substitution which is part of what makes the moment so great.

I did enjoy Royles comments after the match too which went along the lines of "Bollocks to your dream final, and you spell that with 2 L's"

Know what the sad part of this is? We are currently playing Watford and I have it on in the background, I have barely looked at the match this half as I would prefer to talk about past moments than watch this tedious shit. We are so boring.
    I think that was the first time I experienced the unending disappointment of being a Tottenham fan.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    My first season as a Spurs fan, they won the FA Cup. Depending how you look at it, no season since has ever topped that. Bearing in mind, the FA Cup still had true meaning then.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I think that was the first time I experienced the unending disappointment of being a Tottenham fan.
    Funnily enough I think it was the last time I experienced the rapidly ending joy of being an Everton fan.

The Rosk
    I love MMH.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    1-0. Paul Rideout in the final, right?

The Rosk
    I don’t understand why people ask online about things that are googleable within seconds. You’re not in the pub chatting over a pint ffs.

Like when @Chris Scott asked what the Spurs keeper’s name was. YOU ARE NOT IN A PUB

- - - Updated - - -

IT IS NOT A TAVERN @Beefy

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I could be in a pub chatting over a pint, to be fair. With MMH would be a bit weird though, I suppose.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    I don’t understand why people ask online about things that are googleable within seconds. You’re not in the pub chatting over a pint ffs.

Like when @Chris Scott asked what the Spurs keeper’s name was. YOU ARE NOT IN A PUB

- - - Updated - - -

More fun to ask the question and potentially start a discussion init. If Murphy had just Googled it he wouldn't have mentioned Paul Rideout, and none of us would now be trying to remember what Paul Rideout looked like. In my head I remember him as having a touch of the Javier Zanetti about him.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    1-0. Paul Rideout in the final, right?
    It still irks me that it wasn't Stuart who scored, not that I minded Rideout at all.

Had a weird career did Rideout. Was supposed to be a big deal when he was at Villa and got a move to Serie A, did Ok there for Bari then came back to Southampton for some reason, started moving down the divisions and ended up playing as a centre back for Rangers before being good for us again for a few years.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    micronesia
    So, I am posting on something non RFF, this is weird.

I saw this thread title and it instantly took me back to to 1992. I was a 7 year old boy and a season ticket holder at my beloved Peterborough United. As a Posh fan, we haven't had many great days (Beating Liverpool in the early 90's is quite high), but I can remember the winning goal from the play off final so vividly, I could be there now. The game was terrible, but the goal was scintillating. Sitting in Wembley, with my dad and my late Grandad, I remember being in awe of just the size of the place, being from a small village in Cambridgeshire. With 2 minutes to go, I needed a wee. There was no way either of my family members were accompanying me, given it being 1-1 and very tightly poised, but I needed a wee. So off I went and as I came back, onto the top of the stairs down the lower tier, Marcus Ebdon played the most perfect pass to King Ken Charlery to put him through one-on-one, and with the nonchalance that the great man always always exuded, he just calmly lifted it over the keeper. Cue bedlam and I remember being picked up and hugged and bombarded by thousands of crazy Posh fans. It took me ages to find my Dad again, and he wasn't too worried, more worried that I might have missed the goal. But thanks to my perfect bladder timing, I probably got the best view I could have ever got of the goal.
    Last edited by JimboWay6; October 30th, 2019 at 9:25 AM. Reason: fat fingers

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post

- - - Updated - - -

No wonder the forums are dead.