User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the feeling that they're trying to tell us Saul is fundamentally not a good person, even if he tried to be for a while. A bit like how they reached hard to tell us Walt wasn't doing any of it for his family even though he really was for a long time. Gilligan seems to be determined to tell us certain things just make you a pure villain.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought of Saul as a villain the way that Walt is, maybe more the way Jesse is.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saul and Walt are very different.

I was trying to think of what the real worst thing Saul has done... He's a rat sure but he's not poisoning kids etc

I didn't think the ending was saying Saul isn't a good person. I think basically he went back home because he wanted to feel like a big shot and that he hadn't lost his touch kind of like fuck you chuck maybe I am still that guy and always will be.

He then had a week and loved the thrill of it but got brought back to reality by his clients calling (hence him wanting to bail and go home)

Then his mate died. The important thing here was his mate had also straightened himself up and was playing by everyone elses rules and was fucking miserable. I think honestly Jimmy then realised he missed the grift too and rather than playing in a world full of sharks who were never going to respect him or his degree or anything else he needed to branch out. I think he's sick of being chucks little screw up brother. I think it dawned on him he was getting this partner path job opportunity but it might be 10 years before it came through and so what? So they could take the cases he built up? So his brother could complain he was leveraging his name/reputation?

I think Jimmy/Saul has been so sympathetic in this season that really you're supposed to think he's had his heart broken and is going off the rails but realistically he's changing the game up because with his background and his criminal record etc he's never going to be an executive corporate lawyer. There's too much judgement out there including from his own brother

Loved this season. Such a different tone and speed than breaking bad. It's lovely. Initially I was nervous it was going to be a lifeless cash in but there's a real story to be told here

The Rosk
    Yeah they definitely aren't saying Saul is "fundamentally not a good person". Anything but. Shades of grey everywhere in the characters of Breaking Bad. Mik's comparison to Jesse is right: Heart in the right place but tremendously flawed, fucked over to the nth degree and prone to temptation. Look how he cared about his elder clients (not taking all the money for doing the wills, the smile that came across his face when going through his voicemails in the final episode), cared about Kim, wanted to save the skateboarder's lives when he could have walked away etc. He's just had his brother completely break his heart, his best mate's died in his arms and his dreams have been taken away from him. Fuck it, I'd do what he'd do. He's human.
    Last edited by The Rosk; April 10th, 2015 at 4:37 AM.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    how were his dreams taken from him? He's got an in on a partner track to a top law firm managing the class action that he constructed.

In another sense, his route now could definitely be seen as the 'best of both worlds' for his talents - the hustling and the wily lawyer all in one, without the criminality of the former or the corporate shmooz of the latter. It fits with who he is as his own person more and he no longer feels compelled to alter his character completely for the reasons you've stated there.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny View Post
    how were his dreams taken from him?.
    He wanted his own practice with Kim.
    He wanted to work side by side with his brother.
    He wanted to win that sandpiper case himself.

I don't think it was anything other than an overly emotional decision made by a man still grieving his friend. I think him checking the ring was him thinking he needed the thrill of playing in shades of grey something he maybe didn't think he could do with a big corporate law firm

The Rosk
    how were his dreams taken from him? He's got an in on a partner track to a top law firm managing the class action that he constructed.

In another sense, his route now could definitely be seen as the 'best of both worlds' for his talents - the hustling and the wily lawyer all in one, without the criminality of the former or the corporate shmooz of the latter. It fits with who he is as his own person more and he no longer feels compelled to alter his character completely for the reasons you've stated there.
    His wanting to work for his brother's firm and be respected and do Kim up the shitter etc.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    My friend brought up in our podcast, that I was upset that I saw Saul break bad, the entire thing we waited all season for. Now, he did agree the Mike scene was kinda pointless. When Walt went bad, it was at least logical from anyone's point of view. I am dying and my family that will be fucked without me. I have a special skill that is considered illegal, but I am awesome at it as well as can make a shit ton of money. A lot of people were on Walt's side at the beginning til he turned to Empire building and it was fun.

Saul just broke bad, because Vince Gilligan decided this was the moment. There was not anything organic about it. He had a giant out. He could have taken the partnership and made bank. I do think at any time, he could have Kim. She seems to be the one that is waiting for him than vice versa. There is no reason for him to break bad. If anything being a partner with a firm that is actually taking over his case is a giant fuck you to Chuck.

I loved this season, but the rational of that final scene, I didn't buy. I thought it was a giant misstep. I am sure next season, they will get him closer to the line. Yet, I think Saul is neutral evil more than chaotic evil that Walt became. He knows a ton of bad people yet, we don't know how many people he did help as Saul. I don't think he will turn full dark side, but he really isn't evil. He just uses the system to his advantage which helps bad people.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    My friend brought up in our podcast, that I was upset that I saw Saul break bad, the entire thing we waited all season for. Now, he did agree the Mike scene was kinda pointless. When Walt went bad, it was at least logical from anyone's point of view. I am dying and my family that will be fucked without me. I have a special skill that is considered illegal, but I am awesome at it as well as can make a shit ton of money. A lot of people were on Walt's side at the beginning til he turned to Empire building and it was fun.

Saul just broke bad, because Vince Gilligan decided this was the moment. There was not anything organic about it. He had a giant out. He could have taken the partnership and made bank. I do think at any time, he could have Kim. She seems to be the one that is waiting for him than vice versa. There is no reason for him to break bad. If anything being a partner with a firm that is actually taking over his case is a giant fuck you to Chuck.

I loved this season, but the rational of that final scene, I didn't buy. I thought it was a giant misstep. I am sure next season, they will get him closer to the line. Yet, I think Saul is neutral evil more than chaotic evil that Walt became. He knows a ton of bad people yet, we don't know how many people he did help as Saul. I don't think he will turn full dark side, but he really isn't evil. He just uses the system to his advantage which helps bad people.
    It's not a fuck you to Chuck at all. It's working on a case as a partner to chucks firm knowing he doesn't respect him. It's knowing he can be a small cog in a big wheel and keep his nose clean and maybe he'll get partner eventually. He wasn't offered partner lets be clear here it was 'partner path' why would he trust those people to see him made good when his own brother has a level of disdain for him.

He would be in a similar position to Kim. Which is undervalued and probably not 'making bank' but doing ok.

He could wait and wait for years of graft and fighting the thoughts that he's a piece of shit playing as a lawyer with a shit degree who is piggy backing off his brothers name.

The ring reminds him not to be a broken down guy wishing for the thrill of 1 more scam.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Saul and Walt are very different.

I was trying to think of what the real worst thing Saul has done... He's a rat sure but he's not poisoning kids etc
    Well maybe Saul will never be the guy to pull the trigger but he certainly didn't hesitate to strongly suggest that Walt murder Hank Schrader. Didn't seem like Saul had any qualms about that.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Well maybe Saul will never be the guy to pull the trigger but he certainly didn't hesitate to strongly suggest that Walt murder Hank Schrader. Didn't seem like Saul had any qualms about that.
    I just don't consider that bad behaviour

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Being on partner track is way different than what Kim is at. Kim thinks she is going to be a partner in ten years. Jimmy could be one in six months at the very least a year. Kim already eased his concern about the job when it comes to Chuck. To me, it was just weird. As for Saul suggesting offing Hank, well...yeah...

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being on partner track is way different than what Kim is at. Kim thinks she is going to be a partner in ten years. Jimmy could be one in six months at the very least a year. Kim already eased his concern about the job when it comes to Chuck. To me, it was just weird. As for Saul suggesting offing Hank, well...yeah...
    Really? You sure? I thought Partner track meant associate which is exactly what Kim is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I never thought of Saul as a villain the way that Walt is, maybe more the way Jesse is.
    I wouldn't say he's a villain, either, just not a good guy. Actually Jesse is probably a very apt comparison, though it is complicated a bit by my next thought...

Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    Yeah they definitely aren't saying Saul is "fundamentally not a good person". Anything but. Shades of grey everywhere in the characters of Breaking Bad. Mik's comparison to Jesse is right: Heart in the right place but tremendously flawed, fucked over to the nth degree and prone to temptation. Look how he cared about his elder clients (not taking all the money for doing the wills, the smile that came across his face when going through his voicemails in the final episode), cared about Kim, wanted to save the skateboarder's lives when he could have walked away etc. He's just had his brother completely break his heart, his best mate's died in his arms and his dreams have been taken away from him. Fuck it, I'd do what he'd do. He's human.
    I agree that it would be inaccurate to say Saul's fundamentally not a good person, but I'm going by interviews and things from Gilligan when they were making Breaking Bad, where he kept talking about how people who do something bad have got to get punished, and the inevitable price for hubris and ambition that he sees as a requirement. Saul has ambition, so by Gilligan's own standards that's a fatal flaw. That's why I had a bit of an issue with the last episode, the season had built Saul to be that good person and very abruptly, by their own standards, he suddenly just isn't, despite that catalogue of things he did that were truly noble and caring.

Of course this could just be Gilligan overstating things a bit and me overreading a bit. He obviously always saw Jesse as a good guy regardless of being a junkie. There's no reason Saul can't be a good guy too, despite wanting to make some money.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Really? You sure? I thought Partner track meant associate which is exactly what Kim is.
    No, it goes back to what Saul said to Howard about the Sand Piper case that if any lawyer walked into a law firm with this case, they would become a full partner. Kim seems to hint she also in debt to H,H, M. They could have paid off her student loans or something that is why she is very loyal to them. What Saul is getting from the other law firm is several steps ahead of Kim. Mainly, because those clients want to deal with Saul and its going to be a huge payday for the firm. There is no huge payday in anything Kim has done. The Kettlemen case was to PR move.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it goes back to what Saul said to Howard about the Sand Piper case that if any lawyer walked into a law firm with this case, they would become a full partner. Kim seems to hint she also in debt to H,H, M. They could have paid off her student loans or something that is why she is very loyal to them. What Saul is getting from the other law firm is several steps ahead of Kim. Mainly, because those clients want to deal with Saul and its going to be a huge payday for the firm. There is no huge payday in anything Kim has done. The Kettlemen case was to PR move.
    Err hhm are bringing the other firm in. Jimmy isn't bringing it to them they have the chance of hiring a 'free agent' who knows the case.

It's a good first step but hhm still own the case they are just partnering up with another firm.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished this. Absolutely fantastic series, really enjoyed it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on episode 7 now, watched 2 over the weekend. It is very good so far.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season 2 premieres February 15, 2016.

http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call...es-february-15

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    It's baaaaackkk

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good premiere. Fascinating how this show can be slow-paced and yet so interesting to watch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Agreed. I loved the SG on the wall of the trash room and getting the back and forth of the Jimmy who isnt quite Saul yet, and the Cinnabon worker who used to be in the thick of the action. Very well done.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Also glad he finally got to bone the blondie. Their whole night of hustling together was really fun and had a truly perfect end.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had they not boned previously? I thought they did last season but I forget. Anyway agreed on the slow burn. The premiere was pretty uneventful but still really enjoyable. Nice throwback to the douche bag stock broker character from Breaking Bad (Walt set his car engine on fire) and the tequila. The tequila thing I didn't catch while watching but saw it pointed out after:

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I am kinda wondering if the black and white scenes will eventually lead to Jimmy's death.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great opener. Best show on TV. I watched Talking Saul afterwards because Odenkirk and Vince were on. I loved that shot of him sitting against the wall where it zooms in and we see that he has carved "SG was here" into the wall.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am kinda wondering if the black and white scenes will eventually lead to Jimmy's death.
    It could lead to a season that takes place after Breaking Bad.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I think at some point we will definitely get more of post-Breaking Bad Saul, as in actual plot progression and some sort of ending to his character. I sort of doubt it'll end with him dying, probably more likely reconciling with Kim or becoming a lawyer again- this time not a crooked one. I dunno. I see him getting redemption of some sort. This is probably seasons down the line. And I could see them doing a season that goes back and forth between prequel and sequel, sort of like how Lost went back and forth between island and pre-island.

Also it was telling he signed his initials SG and not JM.

Banned
    Smoking Meth and cuddling with an Armenian Gender Queer on a broken couch inside of an abandoned abortion clinic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    He's a wanted man... assumed name or not, there is no way that he can return to the attorney profession.

that's why he's working for Cinnabon.

knowing Gilligan, it will probably end on a dark note.

such a loveable character... I would like to see him catch a break at the end.

he's had such a rough go of things.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before the first season I remember several interviews stating that BCS would run before, during and after BB and they said theres a good chance that the likes of Walt, Jessie, Gus etc would all show up in it.

I think it'll all end up tying up more of BB by the end of it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cranston's availability would be a hang-up for any Walter appearances. I feel like the show ends with Saul about to meet Walt and Jesse for the first time. I like the idea that the flashforwards don't really lead anywhere. Saul just lives out his days in anonymity.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ends? Or segway? I don't see the show ending on that. I do see Saul, for whatever reason, ending back in New Mexico post BB. I hope at a certain point we do switch back to the present. Unlike a film, a show is all about watching over an extended period of time, and knowing what happens to a lot of the characters he's interacting with limits a lot of angles. Jimmy's never getting killed, no one's ever cutting off his finger, and he'll proceed in a course that leads to him changing his name and opening a law office. We know exactly where he ends up. Ditto Mike. They could be setting up characters, locations, and scenarios which will have ramifications when we get back to Nebraska.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a load of cobblers.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Best show on television right now.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    jimmy's trying to get fired montage was amazing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to seeing the Gus/Mike relationship come together as well. If we don't see Gus in the finale I'll be surprised to not see him next season.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, I was thinking Gus would appear at some point based on the Tuco stuff but we will see.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a lot of complaints about this show being slow but I really like it that way. I don't think it would have the same effect if Jimmy just turned to Saul overnight so its fun to see each little block that guides him to his path work out and Mikes story is there to give you the quick action thrill every now and again.

From what I read the program will take place through and after Breaking Bad so I expect to see a lot of BB cast turn up, even if just for cameos. I'd imagine Gus would have a decent sized part but then I quite like that Gus is still kind of mysterious and a bit of an enigma. I could also see them holding off somewhat as there is major potential for a Gus spin-off showing his routes coming up through Chile and into a drug baron.

Anyway, they Saul montage was cool, loved the cheesy 70s style and you could see the director had fun putting that together. Was cool to see that transpire as well, Jimmy embracing his true self a little more, we saw it at the end of season 1 and then more now with the flash clothes and brash phone message.

They seem to be moving away from the brother relationship and I'm not sure theres a whole lot of life in that now, the main changing point should be his breakdown of the relationship with Kim. He also hasn't had any screen time with Ignatio and I presume they get into some trouble together via Breaking Bad spoilers.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    Lydia would also be a nice addition

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND View Post
    Best show on television right now.
    Nah, it's up there but not quite.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I have loved the last few episodes. Gus will come in to make Mike an offer after Nacho dies. Kim is my favorite character and I fear for her.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    the actress's voice and teeth annoy me greatly.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some big shits going down with the cartel for sure. Ignacio disappears of the face of the Earth (Dead?/On the Run?/Prison?/Informer?)

Hector gets put in a wheelchair, barely able to function. Tuco seems to be on the right path at least but gonna be interesting to see what happens to the others.

Saul was plugged as a spin off but its seemingly more of a prequel to Breaking Bad. Even though most was tied up I think we'll probably find out more about what happened to Jesse and Walts family and maybes they wil drive a steak through Walts heart to kill off the season 6 bullshit runours every 3 months.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chatty View Post
    I see a lot of complaints about this show being slow but I really like it that way. I don't think it would have the same effect if Jimmy just turned to Saul overnight so its fun to see each little block that guides him to his path work out and Mikes story is there to give you the quick action thrill every now and again.

From what I read the program will take place through and after Breaking Bad so I expect to see a lot of BB cast turn up, even if just for cameos. I'd imagine Gus would have a decent sized part but then I quite like that Gus is still kind of mysterious and a bit of an enigma. I could also see them holding off somewhat as there is major potential for a Gus spin-off showing his routes coming up through Chile and into a drug baron.

Anyway, they Saul montage was cool, loved the cheesy 70s style and you could see the director had fun putting that together. Was cool to see that transpire as well, Jimmy embracing his true self a little more, we saw it at the end of season 1 and then more now with the flash clothes and brash phone message.

They seem to be moving away from the brother relationship and I'm not sure theres a whole lot of life in that now, the main changing point should be his breakdown of the relationship with Kim. He also hasn't had any screen time with Ignatio and I presume they get into some trouble together via Breaking Bad spoilers.
    Not sure where you are seeing these complaints.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some big shits going down with the cartel for sure. Ignacio disappears of the face of the Earth (Dead?/On the Run?/Prison?/Informer?)

Hector gets put in a wheelchair, barely able to function. Tuco seems to be on the right path at least but gonna be interesting to see what happens to the others.

Saul was plugged as a spin off but its seemingly more of a prequel to Breaking Bad. Even though most was tied up I think we'll probably find out more about what happened to Jesse and Walts family and maybes they wil drive a steak through Walts heart to kill off the season 6 bullshit runours every 3 months.
    There are no rumors just fake articles. Nobody is expecting a season 6.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    Not sure where you are seeing these complaints.
    Forums, social media, friends. Plenty people saying its too slow. Mainly down to impatience and expecting it to be Breaking Bad MKII.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no rumors just fake articles. Nobody is expecting a season 6.
    Same thing. Fake articles become rumours when people start spreading them all over.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been enjoying this season. It's just really solid all around. Was glad to see Jimmy take his biggest step towards becoming Saul this week with buying his colorful suits and setting up his own shop again. Can't wait to see him get back in action and take on new clients. Kim turning Jimmy down on his partnership offer made sense and was the right call, but this idea of them sharing an office but having separate firms seems like a lame half measure. I don't know how that'll work out. Clearly we seem headed for a Jimmy/Kim blow up and separation at some point but it could be years down the road, and then a likely reunion in Nebraska where Saul is currently working at Cinnabon and where Kim just so happens to be from originally.

Gus should definitely come into play at some point (when he and Mike start working together) and I'll mark out if/when it happens.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forums, social media, friends. Plenty people saying its too slow. Mainly down to impatience and expecting it to be Breaking Bad MKII.
    All reviews have praised this show and so has everyone on here. You need new friends I guess.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All reviews have praised this show and so has everyone on here. You need new friends I guess.
    Sure but then theres about ten people who have commented on this thread this season which is hardly indicative of its whole fanbase and theres plenty of critical reviews saying the same. Slow doesn't mean bad, it can still get good reviews whilst adding that critique to it and I've seen it several times as well.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard people say it's too slow and they do have a point. It's a slow burn. I have no complaints and find it extremely well done but it's probably not for everyone and won't grab a ton of people like Breaking Bad did.

I think saying it's the best drama on TV right now is probably accurate in terms of shows that are airing new episodes right now (so not counting Game of Thrones) unless you count House of Cards, which is ahead of it for me.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Breaking Bad was really slow in it's first season as well. I think Better Call Saul has picked up tremendously since season 1 like Breaking Bad did.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    House of Cards s1 was great fun. Since then it's been a festering turd sinking down an ugly toilet.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    House of Cards s1 was great fun. Since then it's been a festering turd sinking down an ugly toilet.
    Season 1 and 2 = awesome
    Season 3 = big step down, fairly boring
    Season 4 = back to being awesome

I have 2 episodes left in the new season and have really loved the first 11.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    To each his own.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pacing is a little slow, but I remember the first couple episodes of BB was the same. There's a lot of potential, but I'm also digging this show. But I agree with most of you guys in here: if I had to choose I'd watch Mike's story over Jimmy's or Kim's right now, no question. But that's the great part about BB and BCS as well: sometimes they force the boring storyline on you, and you kind of grind through it, but after an episode or two, boom it's not the boring storyline anymore. It's the one you're hoping to see more of in the twenty minutes per week.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am enjoying this...wonder how many seasons before we get to BB

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Marathonned season 1 recently and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The cameos are fun, especially Tuco at his grandmother's house.

Not quite as good as Breaking Bad obviously but it's still good and done in the same style so it's ALMOST like I'm watching new episodes of BB just not quite.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonight's episode was crazy good. Probably my favorite yet.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    That head bump was vicious. I literally said "oh shit."

Just have to wonder is this what leads to Jimmy becoming Saul.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that was a great episode. Still think Jimmy has too much to lose to become Saul yet but he's well on his way. he's still got to lose his current (and still new) practice, Kim, get involved with the cartel in someway as well and tie up with Mike. Plenty shit to go down before we get to Saul and BB years.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that Mike's regular car? They definitely showed how visible it was, to the point that during the episode I was thinking it must be a beater he'd gotten for this job. Very sloppy if it's his car.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom_Axe View Post
    Was that Mike's regular car? They definitely showed how visible it was, to the point that during the episode I was thinking it must be a beater he'd gotten for this job. Very sloppy if it's his car.
    Was thinking the same. The dude definitely saw the car and I think this will come back to haunt Mike (though I don't remember off hand if it's his regular car or not). It does seem sloppy of him. “There are two kinds of heists: those where the guys get away with it, and those that leave witnesses.” - Mike in Breaking Bad

EDIT: I'm seeing the following comments online:

That was the car he was driving but it was not Mike’s car (which is a black Chrysler or some such). Mike is one step ahead of you too, apparently.

Yup – Mike’s ride is that sweet black Fifth Avenue in need of new upholstery. The blue car was a cheap getaway vehicle, purchased cheap and for cash like is his wont.

So yea his car when he brought it into Nacho's shop was black not blue.
    Last edited by Fro; April 12th, 2016 at 1:33 PM.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    'like is his wont' made me sick up in my mouth a touch there.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I am calling Gus in the finale.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the first letters of the episodes this season do spell "Fring's back" .... If you rearrange them

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim's arc seems to be closely mirroring Skylar's. Like Skylar, Kim would've done the right thing, if left to her own devices, but she can't resist being dragged down by her association with Jimmy. I suspect that down the line she'll regret her choice. I think most of us expect that Kim will be out of the picture by the time Breaking Bad begins but does she have to be?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I think Kim gets out of it then Jimmy goes for Saul. Honestly, I am ok with Jimmy fucking over Chuck to help Kim. Chuck fired the first shot in the war.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This show makes me want to re-watch Breaking Bad again, even though I just re-watched it within the last year.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Kim gets out of it then Jimmy goes for Saul. Honestly, I am ok with Jimmy fucking over Chuck to help Kim. Chuck fired the first shot in the war.
    Agreed.

But... one of the things that made Breaking Bad great was that the events were so unpredictable. Kim getting fed up with Jimmy seems telegraphed. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gilligan has something more shocking in mind. I don't think she dies, and even I could write her character out of this script. But I don't think a writer with Gilligan's chops has it in him to move on from her character without something gripping happening. It's a golden opportunity, and I don't see him wasting it.

Perhaps Kim turns a blind eye for a while, and the law partnership between her and Jimmy arouses suspicion, and they both get disbarred. She leaves the practice of law. And Jimmy becomes Saul in order to continue practicing under a new identity.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could just as easily have Kim rat out Jimmy. Seeing Chuck dead/seriosly hurt due to Jimmys plots might make her see sense in what Chuck was saying earlier in the episode and get him barred.

As a plot devise that serves to sever their relationsip and end Jimmy McGill and his law practitioning. Maybes they could have Hamlin White Knight Kim for good measure.

As much as the audience dislike Chuck for being the one who stops Jimmy, Chucks been right from the beginning. Jimmy cant help himself and was never capable of being a top lawyer without shenanigans, he buzzes from that and proved so with the other firm.

Chuck had Jimmy sussed and everyone else who enable Jimmy just let the conman out of the box. Similar to Walt, Jimmy just needed that little bit encouragement and enabling to start running full steam.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    If you get disbarred is all you have to do is just change your name??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get disbarred is all you have to do is just change your name??
    I doubt that would work but you could get a fake identity with fake credentials.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    If one were to get disbarred and SOMEHOW get around it with fake credentials. You sure as hell would not be plastering your face on TV ads and commercials in that same state. Especially for someone like Jimmy who would be memorable to many.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom_Axe View Post
    Agreed.

But... one of the things that made Breaking Bad great was that the events were so unpredictable. Kim getting fed up with Jimmy seems telegraphed. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gilligan has something more shocking in mind. I don't think she dies, and even I could write her character out of this script. But I don't think a writer with Gilligan's chops has it in him to move on from her character without something gripping happening. It's a golden opportunity, and I don't see him wasting it.

Perhaps Kim turns a blind eye for a while, and the law partnership between her and Jimmy arouses suspicion, and they both get disbarred. She leaves the practice of law. And Jimmy becomes Saul in order to continue practicing under a new identity.
    You can't just change your name and get back into law lol

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Kim was correcting in saying Chuck created Jimmy. Jimmy busted his ass to get his degree and pass the bar. He went out on his own with mailroom money to start his practice. He needs to cut corners to survive. Chuck pulled the same stunt with the bank Kim gave them. Chuck takes the high ground when it suits him.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah that con man in the convenience store created Jimmy. There are wolves and sheep in this world.

When Chuck won the bank back from Kim he did it fair and square with a good and truthful business pitch.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While what he did was ethical, he only did it to hurt Jimmy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    While what he did was ethical, he only did it to hurt Jimmy.
    I think it was less about hurting Jimmy and more about not losing.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Not a spoiler if you've seen S2 E9)

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND View Post
    I think it was less about hurting Jimmy and more about not losing.
    Kim even said that Chuck never wanted Jimmy to succeed. He never wanted him to work at HHM but when he got the job at another law firm he still hated it.

On top of all that, Kim was demoted by HHM because of Jimmy. Hence Chuck wanting to hurt him. If Kim wasn't going to practice with Jimmy, I doubt Chuck would have went out of his way to get Mesa Verde.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chuck was right about Jimmy though. He knew all along he would be a liability to big company because he can't help himself but take short cuts. He is 'Slippin' Jimmy, he spent his whole life pulling scams and while he might have be good at heart his natural instinct is to do whatever it takes to win, even if it's by illegal means. Jimmy had plenty times to prove against this, he was given a top job in a top law firm but screwed up by running an ad without permission, something he knew wasn't allowed.

He also screwed up when he was illegally chasing up leads on the bus. Chuck just has him sussed, its seems harsh because he's his brother and Jimmy is capable and a grafter but anytime he has the chance to do things properly he cheats to win.

Chuck punished Kim to send her a message that Jimmy would drag her down with him and it was Chuck who got her re-instated in her old position. Its not cause he dislikes them but more that he just knows Jimmy too well and doesn't want to see Kim dragged down with him.

Everything Chuck has said has been proven correct from the beginning.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why wouldn't HHM have someone there with Kim for the Sandpiper court hearing?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why wouldn't HHM have someone there with Kim for the Sandpiper court hearing?
    Big companies always punish employees in shitty ways. Know your role and don't think you know better than the gaffers. Not saying Chuck didn't make any dick moves but he was still completely correct on Jimmy and has been proved so time and again.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big companies always punish employees in shitty ways. Know your role and don't think you know better than the gaffers. Not saying Chuck didn't make any dick moves but he was still completely correct on Jimmy and has been proved so time and again.
    Yea but I am pretty sure the dick move was made because of her relationship with Jimmy. It seemed pretty clear to me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea but I am pretty sure the dick move was made because of her relationship with Jimmy. It seemed pretty clear to me.
    I took it more as her pushing for Jimmy being at HHM and then when they refused she got him a job at one of their partners firms so his fuck ups were due to her that effected them. Chucks just an old school dude who believes in doing everything by the book, there maybe some elements of jealousy with his brother and obviously there relationship has broke down a fair bit but I don't think he holds a major grudge against either, just doesn't want Jimmy involved in his business and thinks if he's got Kims ear then he will.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Chuck is bullshitting everyone with his Wifi sickness. He has manipulated Jimmy to be his slave and when Jimmy got the big fish, he stole it. Ethics only apply to Chuck if it helps him. I would rather have Jimmy than Chuck any day of the week as my lawyer. Chuck went into the Mes Verda meeting to hurt Kim and Jimmy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea of Chuck doing things the right way is interesting.

What he did with Mesa Verde, to take them away from Kim while done the right way, was still a wrong thing to do right? He believes that, as long as he sticks to the letter of the law, everything he does is right, no matter how horrible it is. We all know somebody like Chuck. The high and mighty, can't do anything wrong person who's a hypocrite. In wrestling, the idea behind being a bad guy is always believing that you're justified no matter how much of an ******* the things you're justified about might make you.

Chuck is the ultimate heel.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Chuck is faking his ailments, probably has a brain tumour or something that he's mentally attributed the symptoms to some phantom disease.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I don't think Chuck is faking his ailments, probably has a brain tumour or something that he's mentally attributed the symptoms to some phantom disease.
    He is faking. They proved it at the hospital last season. Chuck is Chaotic Good. He is crazy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is faking. They proved it at the hospital last season. Chuck is Chaotic Good. He is crazy.
    Yeah but he wouldn't stove his own head in just to fake it. Guy has some illness, be it mental or physical that he has phantomly put on electronics. Happens a fair bit, your own brain can fuck you up.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, faking and actually thinking you have an illnesses are two different things.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stress alone can do mad things to humans. You start thinking their is something wrong with your heart and some people get huge pains there even though their is nothing physically wrong with it for example. If you hurt your arm, try focusing on your leg and you can shift the pain - its amazing how strong your brain is - often to the point you can't control it yourself.

I imagine Chuck either was over stressed or as I said has a tumor or something like that. He's started putting together that pain is higher around electronics and then convinced himself that is whats causing it to the point that when he's around them his stress levels go through the roof and he experiences the symptoms that he's getting. Its called psychosomatic.

He could also be a hypochondriac.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Anyone think the bump on the head may cure chuck?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's definitely a psychological condition. There's no doubt he is in tremendous pain around electronic devices, at least if he knows that they're running (as we saw in the hospital last year). I would assume he suffered some kind of personal trauma (death of his wife, probably) and it caused him to develop this idea that he was allergic to electricity and sunlight.

Banned
    Smoking Meth and cuddling with an Armenian Gender Queer on a broken couch inside of an abandoned abortion clinic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    I figured at first, that Chuck's condition was a psychosomatic accumulation of all the guilt he's been carrying around over the years regarding never being there for Jimmy... because he always appeared to be at his "sickest" whenever he would do something shitty to his brother... but I think that I overestimated his ability to show compassion.

I noticed before, when Jimmy said to Chuck: "I know that you would do the same thing for me"-- regarding taking care of him-- that Chuck had an expression on his face that indicated the contrary..

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like that when you think about it, Chuck isn't really wrong. He knows Jimmy is a cheat and crook. Maybe that's part of what caused Jimmy to walk that path, but he's 100% unethical and a liability to the firm. While Chuck has been dickish, he hasn't done anything unethical or illegal. Meanwhile, Jimmy has done an array of legally dubious things. And yet Jimmy most does them for the greater good, while Chuck is scrupulous but petty and dickish.

This show has proven to be better than I ever could have imagined.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    It certainly exceeded my expectations.

my only complaint this season, is that there's not enough Mike.
    I'm guessing that in the season finale he puts Tio in the wheelchair.

I can't wait to see how it pans out...

I also can't wait for the inevitable introduction of Gustavo into the fold next season.

I have the feeling that starting next season, the intensity is going to increase ten-fold compared to the past two.

cameos galore.
    Last edited by Slutty McWhoreface; April 17th, 2016 at 1:00 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curious what ends up happening to Karen. I'm guessing her and Jimmy just have a falling out and she moves away. Though I guess it's possible they were still in touch during "Breaking Bad," we only really saw Saul from Walter's perspective.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you meant Kim, but I suddenly want to see Matt Murdock and Saul Goodman (representing Wilson Fisk) go at it in a court room.