User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

Banned
    Smoking Meth and cuddling with an Armenian Gender Queer on a broken couch inside of an abandoned abortion clinic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    It would be cool if they ended Saul's saga on a positive note by having Kim join him in Omaha.

but that's not Gilligan's style.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that would be out of character for Kim to go back to him after he did terrible things for so long as Saul. I see them reconnecting but not reconciling

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the series, but must admit that this season ended with a whimper, when I was expecting it to end with a bang. Kind of pissed me off.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season 2 was better than season 1 and season 3 is set up wonderfully with Jimmy vs Chuck and Gus coming in as a likely recurring character. We should probably stop predicting when Jimmy will become Saul at this point since it's been 2 seasons and nothing doing yet but I have to believe the conflict with Chuck will result in the name change. Chuck will ruin the law firm of James McGill (and Kim will probably be collateral damage) and Saul will emerge from it.

I thought the finale was an excellent episode all around. Mike's motivation for wanting to kill Hector is a little shaky (I guess he's just mad at Hector torturing/killing the driver and killing the Good Samaritan?) but that scene was tense as hell and the way it ended with the horn and the note was a great way to bring Gus into the fold. I'm guessing Gus took notice of Mike's skills following the truck heist and is looking to bring him on his side for the long haul rather than offing Hector and causing the cartel to go batshit. Plus Gus wouldn't allow anyone other than himself to kill Hector.

The scene in the beginning with Chuck on the stretcher going through the ER was really cool in the way it was shot. Chuck with the recorder wasn't a surprise (I mean they set it up by showing him going into his garage to retrieve an electronic device) but it was a good trick by him and I can see why Jimmy fell for it. And they just keep adding layers to their backstory with their mother preferring Jimmy in her last words despite him being out getting a hoagie while Chuck would never leave her side.

Excellent season. And for those who didn't see Talking Saul, Vince and Peter Gould basically said they were impressed with not being able to slip anything by the fans when asked about the first letters of the episodes being an anagram for "Fring's back". Of course that's a bit of a mislead in itself since Gus didn't appear physically.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Season 2 was better than season 1 and season 3 is set up wonderfully with Jimmy vs Chuck and Gus coming in as a likely recurring character. We should probably stop predicting when Jimmy will become Saul at this point since it's been 2 seasons and nothing doing yet but I have to believe the conflict with Chuck will result in the name change. Chuck will ruin the law firm of James McGill (and Kim will probably be collateral damage) and Saul will emerge from it.

I thought the finale was an excellent episode all around. Mike's motivation for wanting to kill Hector is a little shaky (I guess he's just mad at Hector torturing/killing the driver and killing the Good Samaritan?) but that scene was tense as hell and the way it ended with the horn and the note was a great way to bring Gus into the fold. I'm guessing Gus took notice of Mike's skills following the truck heist and is looking to bring him on his side for the long haul rather than offing Hector and causing the cartel to go batshit. Plus Gus wouldn't allow anyone other than himself to kill Hector.
    It is pretty obvious he had issues with Hector threatening his granddaughter.

And in Breaking bad, Gus doesn't want to kill Hector. He wanted to see him suffer as he was in the nursing home.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    It is pretty obvious he had issues with Hector threatening his granddaughter.
    Yeah threatening his family definitely didn't sit well with Mike but didn't he say to Nacho last week that he was done with Hector before he found out the unintended consequences of his little heist? And given that Mike knows Hector has ties to Mexico (i.e. cartels) I'm not sure killing him would be in the best interest of the safety of his family. Letting it be probably would been the safer move.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy it didn't end the way I predicted with Chuck's fate, but it was nothing like last finale where it closed our chapter on a good note and opened the next. This one put a semicolon in the middle of it. Oh, and that "even Nixon would be proud" line was great foreshadowing, even though it was within the same scene.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah threatening his family definitely didn't sit well with Mike but didn't he say to Nacho last week that he was done with Hector before he found out the unintended consequences of his little heist? And given that Mike knows Hector has ties to Mexico (i.e. cartels) I'm not sure killing him would be in the best interest of the safety of his family. Letting it be probably would been the safer move.
    I think at first he was content on stealing the money and letting the police handle it but when they covered it up and he killed the witness that is when Mike decided killing him would be the best option.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I thought it was good, but better than last year. Gus showing up will help alot. I honestly don't see how it ends without Chuck being removed somehow. I do think they want us to think Jimmy is the bad guy, but its really Chuck.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    I do think they want us to think Jimmy is the bad guy, but its really Chuck.
    That is so far from the truth. What show are you watching?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not good vs bad. Jimmy is a nice, likable guy but scams people and bends/breaks the law all the time. Chuck is a law abiding lawyer but is a prick to his brother (deservingly so to some extent but he goes beyond that). They're both flawed and multi-faceted characters.

Chuck is more in the villain role though since Saul is the main protagonist.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not good vs bad. Jimmy is a nice, likable guy but scams people and bends/breaks the law all the time. Chuck is a law abiding lawyer but is a prick to his brother (deservingly so to some extent but he goes beyond that). They're both flawed and multi-faceted characters.

Chuck is more in the villain role though since Saul is the main protagonist.
    This. Even though Chuck is successful and highly intelligent he is still jealous of Jimmy. This is very apparent when their mother asked for Jimmy before dying.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gilligan doesn't really play good guys and bad guys. They are just people with good sides and bad sides, you see both then you make up your own mind. No doubt they are playing Chuck into the villain role but they do try and show you his side of the argument. Jimmy gets played out as a good guy with a mischievous heart but by Breaking Bad he is purely corrupted so he has a way to go yet.

Gilligan likes to take you on a character journey, Walt still had redemptive features until the last series when he went full blown heel.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...SFQX0zcP2Vq.99

This is an interview with Gilligan and Gould that explains the hidden message in the episode titles and when to expect Gus next season. Worth a read.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The finale felt like a good premiere rather than a finale. The cousins' cartoonishness feels like less of a fit here than in Breaking Bad. Mike seems to be acting sort of out of character obsessing over Hector like this. And then these weird moments, like with the car and mysterious note which felt like an unsatisfying way to end his seasonal arc. It's just not quite as solid as it could be.

Banned
    Smoking Meth and cuddling with an Armenian Gender Queer on a broken couch inside of an abandoned abortion clinic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    I was disappointed with the finale. It was pretty weak... I guess I went into it expecting more.

It was obviously Gus that left the note on Mike's windshield.

I hope that it gets more intense next season... with much more emphasis on Mike's character.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having it be Fring makes no sense though. As far as we know, he doesn't even exist... nor does he have any connection to Mike or reason to leave a note in the middle of nowhere in the desert. As cool as it is for it to be Gus it doesn't make sense. The only way it could be Gus that would make sense is if Nacho is somehow in with Gus and let him know that Mike was a threat or something.
    Last edited by Venom_Axe; April 20th, 2016 at 7:13 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gus keeps a close eye on everything. He probably knows the gun dealer and has tabs on Hector. Wouldnt take much to put 2 and 2 together.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gus does exist and his connection to the situation is to Hector who is his mortal enemy. We know their history.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great season, great finale I thought. I love the pacing of the show.

Andy
    Just finished this show - absolutely love it. Such a great change of pace and style from Breaking Bad and the performances of the big three characters are fantastic. Can't wait for the next series.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    I thought the pace and style was broadly similar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is similar on pace and style with the first two seasons but BB had a bit nore meat on the story and a couple of holy shit moments but yeah it was the second half od season 3 where BB really hit its stride.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this video was posted yesterday on a "Los Pollos Hermanos" youtube account. it appears to be a stealthy teaser for the new season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm finally working my way through season 2. Chuck man, that guy just pisses me off.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree but the best thing about this show is how everyone has a complex character and has a reason for everything they do. Neither Jimmy or Chuck are good or bad people they just do what they feel they should.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure, won't disagree there. They're both damaged in completely different ways.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hated Chuck for ages but then I started thinking how I would feel if my little brother acted like Jimmy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true but Jimmy is clearly the more likeable, charismatic person and Chuck just can't handle that either. The episode where he meets his wife is particularly telling I thought.

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a brilliantly written relationship, they both envy each other and have such a stubborn mindset that their way of doing things is the best.

I'm not sure if you are there yet but there is an excellent flashback which shows the very start of Jimmy's road to becoming Saul.
    Last edited by Bad Collin; January 11th, 2017 at 2:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think so yeah, with his Dad and the cash register?

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the one - are you a wolf or a sheep?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy shit I'm and the last episode...

Brutal scene at the start in the hospital.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chuck is a bitter, jealous, twisted old cunt.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Chuck going out of his way to hurt Kim is when you realize Chuck is just awful.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait! This is one of those shows that gets better and better as they develop. I'm more than ready for some new episodes!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    So good. Have they mentioned how many seasons they expect this to be?

BC 4 Lyfe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like playing devil's advocate in defence of Chuck here. He is obviously a jealous and vindictive man but he feels like he has to do something about Jimmy constantly breaking the law to get what he wants. Chuck has worked hard his whole life to get where he is and Jimmy just turns up with his charm and his bag of tricks and is successful very quickly by bending or breaking the rules. I also don't think Jimmy understands how important Chuck's reputation is to him and how Jimmy's actions impact on it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    So good. Have they mentioned how many seasons they expect this to be?
    I think they have mentioned not wanting it to go on super long, like maybe 4 seasons.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Chuck is a bitter, jealous, twisted old cunt.
    He's not wrong though!

Andy
    Can't wait for this. Breaking Bad is my favourite series ever and if BCS continues to be great I'm sure it'll end up second.

Classy new Stevie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't flippin wait. April 10th.

I'm so glad this show became what it did.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    So i predicted this at the end of season one but do we think that we will be introduced to Gus through Ernesto?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to look up Ernesto to remind me who he is... the black kid at Chuck's law firm. Why would Gus be associated with him?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I had to look up Ernesto to remind me who he is... the black kid at Chuck's law firm. Why would Gus be associated with him?
    Cause he reminds me of him, and since season one of BCS I thought there was potential that he could be related. Plus the actor that plays him liked my tweet when I suggested it.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    haha, nice one. I just assume Mike would somehow get in tow with Gus through the shared beef with Tuco's family

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what was suggested at the end of last season, right?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea Mike was about to snipe Hector but then his horn started going off from the distance and there was a note saying "Don't." We can safely assume that was Gus's doing.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Things get quite a bit darker in season three, more ‘Breaking Bad’-like. We didn’t set out for that to happen, it came to us organically.” - Vince GIlligan. He also says Jimmy starts becoming Saul this season. Can't wait.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Cannot fucking wait.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Season premiere tonight. I probably won't get to watch until tomorrow but hyped nonetheless.

I wonder if Gus will show up tonight or if they'll wait an episode or two.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Yipee.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good episode last night. I particularly enjoyed Mike's parts - that's a smart dude. This show always leaves you wanting more. Mike chasing down Gus next week will be exciting.

So Chuck obviously wanted Ernesto to hear the tape and I guess tell Jimmy about it. I'm not sure what Chuck's plan is yet - probably to get Jimmy to further incriminate himself in some way. Ultimately Chuck will ruin the name of Jimmy McGill and Saul Goodman will be born out of need rather than choice, I think. But my only issue with Chuck's plan is that Ernesto only heard about 5 seconds of the recording and it wasn't super revealing so I actually wouldn't expect him to tell Jimmy anything. I know he likes Jimmy but surely he respects Chuck a lot too. But we'll see what happens.

The cold opening flash-forward was solid, with Saul creeping back into Jimmy's pathetic/boring new life. I can't wait for them to really open up that timeline of his story, but I don't know when that will come. I'll probably mark out if they ever start showing that part in color instead of black and white.
    Last edited by Fro; April 11th, 2017 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really resent Chuck, because aspects of him and how he regards Jimmy remind me of my own family.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    So, is he dead now in the flash forward? I thought it was a good Mike episode. I am not sure Chuck wanted Ernesto to hear it or not, because he seems to be writing a letter about Mas Verde to someone. I do think Jimmy being full darkside Saul is sending Chuck to a home.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, is he dead now in the flash forward?
    No I think he just had a panic attack (or something like that) and passed out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, is he dead now in the flash forward? I thought it was a good Mike episode. I am not sure Chuck wanted Ernesto to hear it or not, because he seems to be writing a letter about Mas Verde to someone. I do think Jimmy being full darkside Saul is sending Chuck to a home.
    I'm thinking he's trying to catch Jimmy in a worse act than the recording. It's not the crime, but the coverup deal. He wants him to tell Jimmy so Jimmy will get caught in the act. Considering we see Hamlin stopped the tape player there's no way this isn't a setup, especially with that smirk at the end.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    The Mike segments this week were absolutely top notch. Him barely speaking just getting to work and pulling some facial gestures whilst doing it is a great way to bring us back into his storyline.

As for Jimmy, I think he is aware already that his brother will be out to get him, just doesn't know how. I think Jimmy will ultimately sacrifice himself to save Kim's career.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    has this show had anything approximating a disappointing episode yet?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great episode this week although at times I wish it would move a little faster. The Mike scenes are all well done and meticulous but I feel like they could have given us a bit more through 2 episodes this season. We've spent so much time with silent Mike and it's all great cinematography but I wouldn't mind if they shaved that down by 3-4 minutes and instead taken us a bit further than him answering the cell phone at the end. It's a small gripe.

The Jimmy/Chuck/Kim stuff this week was pretty great. The scenes with Saul's receptionist (same one from Breaking Bad) were enjoyable, even if only to see Jimmy teach her how to answer the phone and appeal to his elderly clients. Plus the difference in how Jimmy and Kim wanted to go about the interview process.

It was disappointing how bad Jimmy was when he was helping Mike. Really just an awful job of being inconspicuous at the chicken place, lol. It was well done how Gus appeared and Jimmy paid him literally zero thought. Gus blends in so well that when Jimmy was recapping all the details to Mike, mentioning Gus never even crossed his mind. I also noticed how amped up Jimmy was to help Mike- clearly he's thirsty for that type of criminal work over his boring estate planning. "A little crooked" was a nice touch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    For a former con man he didn't seem to know how to be low key at all.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    That last scene was so devastating. Here is Jimmy being totally set-up by how much he loves his brother. I do think this is the end of Jimmy, but Mike's new relationship may end up saving him.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, interesting to see where it goes from here with Jimmy/Chuck. Trying to think what they now have him on: breaking and entering, destruction of property, threatening to burn down the house etc. A couple of those would be felonies probably. But what is Chuck's end game? I don't think he wants his brother in jail...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first half of this episode was excruciatingly slow. You know the end was going to be Los Pollos Hermanos, and the scene ending there was like, "Okay? That's it?" But yeah, that's one of the few times the pacing of a scene in this show stood out to me.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Chuck probably wants Jimmy in jail, but disbarring him is what he really wants. The destruction of property is a 50 cent tape. Threatening to burn the house down can give Chuck a restraining order, but that is it. The B&E is what is going to get Jimmy in the most trouble. I do think Jimmy will have to give up the practice with Kim to save Kim or vice versa.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else think that Hamlin tresspassing to get to Chuck's house will get brought back up later on? I mean, for how adamant Chuck is about not breaking the law, it's weird for him to ask someone to do such a thing. Maybe I'm just overthinking it. That shows what a cunt Chuck is. Chuck can't stand the thought of people liking Jimmy, because all he can see is the bad in him.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say you're overthinking it. I doubt walking through people's backyards will come back around.

Kim is gonna be pissed when she hears about what Jimmy did lol. PS I love Kim. She's by far the best female character ever introduced in this world. (No offense to Skylar White)

Andy
    That's a big call, Skyler and Marie were both really interesting and complex characters. Big fan of Kim though and excited to see the development of Francesca's character.

Man, I really love this show. Yeah it's at a bit of a slower pace than Breaking Bad but it's absolutely gripping. The main four characters are superb.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I think that because the tape has been destroyed, Jimmy will get disbarred for perverting the course of justice. Which then sets Saul on the path of revenge.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kim is great. Skylar and Marie were annoying bitches most of the time.

Andy
    Think they both had reason to be annoyed tbf

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great episode this week although at times I wish it would move a little faster. The Mike scenes are all well done and meticulous but I feel like they could have given us a bit more through 2 episodes this season. We've spent so much time with silent Mike and it's all great cinematography but I wouldn't mind if they shaved that down by 3-4 minutes and instead taken us a bit further than him answering the cell phone at the end. It's a small gripe.

The Jimmy/Chuck/Kim stuff this week was pretty great. The scenes with Saul's receptionist (same one from Breaking Bad) were enjoyable, even if only to see Jimmy teach her how to answer the phone and appeal to his elderly clients. Plus the difference in how Jimmy and Kim wanted to go about the interview process.

It was disappointing how bad Jimmy was when he was helping Mike. Really just an awful job of being inconspicuous at the chicken place, lol. It was well done how Gus appeared and Jimmy paid him literally zero thought. Gus blends in so well that when Jimmy was recapping all the details to Mike, mentioning Gus never even crossed his mind. I also noticed how amped up Jimmy was to help Mike- clearly he's thirsty for that type of criminal work over his boring estate planning. "A little crooked" was a nice touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND View Post
    For a former con man he didn't seem to know how to be low key at all.
    Well he was only attempting to be low key from the guy he was watching. He didn't know it really had anything to do with los pollos.

Kim is infinitely more interesting than any other woman of breaking bad.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I loved Gus coming behind Jimmy out of focus and walking right past him without the camera showing his face. It was a like a shark hunting an unknowing school of fish.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought for sure that Jimmy was going to ask Mike to sneak into Chuck's place at some point and steal the recorder, but Jimmy's anger blinded him. His emotions are his Achilles' heel. Had Jimmy waited one more day with confronting Chuck, Howard wouldn't have been there, and neither would've been the PI, most likely.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night's episode was excellent. My favorite of the season so far.

Andy
    This week's episode was the first time I was a little frustrated with the glacial pace of Jimmy's story. I'm fine with the slow build but something of a bit more substance could do with happening soon. I thought the finale of this season would be the transition to Saul but at this rate it'll end up just being the conclusion of the confession. There's not been any real tension the last couple of episodes. Mike and Gus' story on the other hand is full of suspense, really enjoyed seeing Don Eladio again and the wind chimes going like Hector's bell in BB was a great touch.
    Last edited by Andy; May 4th, 2017 at 2:21 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually think Jimmy/Chuck's plot has been moving along strongly this season. The preview for next week shows them in court and I can't friggin wait for that. This episode was the set up - I don't know exactly what Jimmy and Kim's plan is with a) likely having Kim record Chuck saying there's a duplicate of the tape, b) having Mike take the photos in Chuck's house and c) having Mike take a piece of info from Chuck's address book. I mean, they could prove Chuck lured Jimmy in but I don't see how that would get Jimmy off the hook. Even though Chuck wanted this to happen, Jimmy still committed breaking and entering. So I think it'll be something more intricate/cunning. Looking forward to finding out their strategy and seeing Chuck and the prosecutor lady (shout out to the show Vice Principals) get knocked on their back.

The other half of the episode was a pure Breaking Bad episode, and it was solid. The opening scene was a little too on the nose for me (how Hector delivered his bag of money then 5 minutes later the other guy arrived with his bigger bag of Gus's money making Hector jealous) but that's a minor complaint.

Gus looks noticeably older IMO (Mike too) but I'm happy to overlook that for the sake of this awesome prequel show. This season is shaping up to be their strongest, IMO.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other half of the episode was a pure Breaking Bad episode, and it was solid. The opening scene was a little too on the nose for me (how Hector delivered his bag of money then 5 minutes later the other guy arrived with his bigger bag of Gus's money making Hector jealous) but that's a minor complaint.
    Isn't that typical Gus though? He always finds a way to make things happen.

So I am trying to piece things together between the Gus/Hector story. Hector shot Gus' partner when they came to the Don's house with the plan regarding shipping meth.

Eventually Gus went into the meth business but then the cartel joined in with Gus. Since then Gus has had it out with Hector. The cartel thinks Gus' partner Walt killed Tuco so they want to kill Walt which messes with Gus' meth business. Gus reveals that it was Hank that killed Tuco.

One of the Don's tries to get Hank killed for what he ended up doing to Tuco but Gus tips him off to fuck with Hector.

Am i missing anything?
    Last edited by PurePlayer; May 4th, 2017 at 3:03 PM.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    No, you got it. I like the Gus/Mike story. I do wonder at the end of this, we will feel bad for Gus. He was a bit sympathetic in Breaking Bad when we see his partner die. Now, we see him taking shit from Hector who is a complete asshole. I can't wait for Hector's eventual fall, too bad I think Mike's buddy in the group is going to bite the bullet as well.

Mike meeting Chuck was really nice. I really liked Mike fucking with him. The female lawyer demanding Jimmy apologize really begged me. She is not a judge nor is there anything in the plea that he had to do it. It was just a bit mean on her part. She also knows that this is for all intensive purposes this is the end of Jimmy's career. It was good of Jimmy just to do it and not blow up which I thought he would do. The speech he made is more about him anyway. What Jimmy and Kim are going to do is to show that Hamelin is being lead by their nose by a crazy person. Chuck is not competent and Jimmy can send him to a home at the end of this. That is when he becomes Saul. I really want to see all of Hamelin and McGill to fall part, but I think like the corporation that was tied to the cartel, its probably too big to fail. I do think Saul with meet Gus and his business with the cartel will cause Kim to leave or her death.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do agree that Gus is the more likable character between he and Hector. I wonder if we see Gus do anything dastardly here (like off Kim) or something else to make him a true villain.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sort of doubt Jimmy and Gus will cross paths. Jimmy didn't even know Mike worked for Gus in BB right?

Edit: They have already crossed paths but I mean in a significant way, like I doubt Jimmy gets caught up in the Gus vs Hector feud.
    Last edited by Fro; May 4th, 2017 at 4:39 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best episode so far this season. The Gus and Hector standoff was amazing. Can't wait to see how they put the screws to Chuck.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I liked it too.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    I sort of doubt Jimmy and Gus will cross paths. Jimmy didn't even know Mike worked for Gus in BB right?
    He definitely did know. He kept his identity a secret when he arranged the first meeting with Walt - "I know a guy who knows a guy. Who knows another guy" - and then he was begging for Jessie to "put a good word in to Fring for me" when shit was hitting the fan.

Andy
    I think Jimmy got Mike to take the pictures to put a case forward for Chuck being mentally unstable. Seems like Kim probably recorded Chuck saying the tape was a duplicate and I wonder if the contact was the private investigator to lean on him to say Chuck was trying to set Jimmy up.

We know where all of the characters get to from here apart from Chuck and Kim. I think one of them is likely to die but I can't decide who.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly doubt Kim will die. I wouldn't be surprised if she appears in the Cinnabon flash forwards, perhaps in the series finale. Chuck could definitely die, probably not from murder but from having a heart attack when Jimmy defeats him, or something like that.

Going at Chuck for mental instability could work but idk, I think it'll be something else. That wouldn't get Jimmy off the hook for his crimes I don't think, it would only be something he could use to leverage Chuck into dropping the charges - but Kim wouldn't go for that type of blackmail. And what could that really do to Chuck? Chuck is such an intelligent person that it would be hard to get him committed. Sure he has the condition but otherwise he's extremely mentally capable.

Everything Chuck did was perfectly legal including hiring the PI to keep watch on the house - at least as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm overthinking it but knowing the Breaking Bad writers, I bet they'll come up with some cool thing we never thought of as Jimmy's defense.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Considering that was the most Breaking Bad tie-in's we've gotten on this show I'm a little surprised there's not a better response to it. I watched the episode twice (which I literally never do) because the first time through it just felt completely surreal to me. So much great backstory that we are learning about here. I loved it. absolutely loved it.
    Last edited by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND; May 4th, 2017 at 9:21 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think Chuck will end up settling for Jimmy changing his legal name and that will be that. It would seem more likely that Kim gets a noble exit where she finally gives up on Jimmy rather than her dying.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved how that geeky cashier Lyle was ready to jump through a wall and fight the cartel for Gus. I could see him being a casualty at some point.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seemed like they made a big show of not specifically mentioning the tape in Jimmy's confession. Edited the statement about it before the hearing, then haggled over it at the hearing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, there is clearly a loophole coming. I'm more interested in the name change than anything. They have already fleshed out his character brilliantly.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between Dr. Cruz and now the pictures - Chuck's mental state would seem to be easy to prove - not to mention anyone at Davis & Main that had to jump through hoops when Chuck decided to venture in for a bully Jimmy meeting. They could also throw in the neighbor that saw the tinfoil caped man steal her newspaper. As an attorney Chuck would've had to sign a lot of the documents for the cases he was working on. If it's proven he was incapacitated, all the documents could be void. In other words, all his cases would be in jeopardy of ever having been binding. That opens the door for huge amounts of suits from HHM's clients... amounts that no policy can or will cover. HHM goes bankrupt, and the question of how to buy out Chuck is moot. Chuck is going to be embarrassed maybe even lose his law license. We know Jimmy's law license somehow survives, because he's practicing law as Saul. The admission that the tape Jimmy destroyed wasn't even the original kind of demonstrates that Chuck was baiting Jimmy as part of a scheme to take his law license. Jimmy's defense becomes that he was fooled by the diabolical lies of his brother who schemed to take Jimmy's law license away. And maybe Rebecca gets to make an appearance to testify to Chuck's condition/insanity. I can see Jimmy and Kim trying to frame Chuck as mentally unstable and using her as a surprise witness, which will drive Chuck mad.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I'm no lawyer, but if the tape was a duplicate, is it technically destroying evidence? Also I wonder if Mike fixing the door will mean there is no evidence that Jimmy broke into this house. Final prediction is they call in Chuck's ex-wife as a character witness, and they completely flip the trial on to Chuck and it end's up with his disbarment. The way the Deputy D.A. is all too happy to cater to Chuck's impairment and seems to be on his side from the very beginning, make me think we'll get to see her completely change her mind about him at some point.

All the stuff with Gus and Hector is just brilliant. I love these cold openings that make a lot more sense by the end of each episode.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    such a great episode.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    No Mike, no Gus, and still one of the best episodes of the series.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome episode. I was wrong thinking it would be some bombshell defense strategy; it was the obvious stuff just showing Chuck has an irrational hatred of Jimmy and that his electro sensitivity is a mental issue. I had built it up in my head so I felt a little disappointed when it wasn't something more clever but regardless, it was a brilliantly written and directed episode with an awesome performance by Michael McKean. I think he should contend for best supporting actor at the emmys for that episode.

I still don't quite see how this gets Jimmy off the hook. I mean, even if he convinced everyone that when he confessed to altering the documents he was only doing so to placate his mentally unstable brother, he still comitted felony breaking and entering / destruction of evidence. But maybe it strengthens his case just enough to convince the bar association not to disbar him.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome episode. I was wrong thinking it would be some bombshell defense strategy; it was the obvious stuff just showing Chuck has an irrational hatred of Jimmy and that his electro sensitivity is a mental issue. I had built it up in my head so I felt a little disappointed when it wasn't something more clever but regardless, it was a brilliantly written and directed episode with an awesome performance by Michael McKean. I think he should contend for best supporting actor at the emmys for that episode.

I still don't quite see how this gets Jimmy off the hook. I mean, even if he convinced everyone that when he confessed to altering the documents he was only doing so to placate his mentally unstable brother, he still comitted felony breaking and entering / destruction of evidence. But maybe it strengthens his case just enough to convince the bar association not to disbar him.
    Good point, I guess we'll find out next week but he did admit guilt to those crimes. I guess they could twist it so that he comes across that he was doing it in concern for his brother but might be a stretch at this point. I suppose Jimmy does have care of Chuck and is noted as his carer of sorts (dunno if that was legally changed when they fell out) so theres a few ways they could get round it but maybes Jimmy does take a fall as well. By BB he is working under an alias so who knows.

Think it was a good idea to leave Mike/Gus a week, that episode was well done and should set up a faster paced second half of the season.

The timeline mustnt be all that far off BB starting now and this is meant to go through and after (although I imagine anything during BB will be sped over).

Considering where he is during BB theres a fair amount of shit to happen yet.