User Tag List

View Poll Results: Fuck you pay me

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.. tuition, room and board is enough

10 100.00%

Thread: Should college athletes get paid?!

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should college athletes get paid?!

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN 5/23/14
    A federal judge on Friday denied motions by the NCAA that would delay trial on an antitrust suit by former UCLA basketball player Ed O'Bannon and others, ordering the trial to go forward next month in California. Judge Claudia Wilken ordered a June 9 trial in Oakland, California, on the antitrust lawsuit. The plaintiffs are seeking an injunction that would allow Division I players the right to band together to sell their services in an open market. If successful, the lawsuit could upend the NCAA's current model built upon the concept college athletes are amateurs and shouldn't be compensated beyond tuition and basic room and board.

A total of 20 former college athletes -- including such names as former NBA stars Bill Russell and Oscar Robertson -- are plaintiffs in the suit that seeks an injunction that could allow athletes to band together and sell their services to colleges, either in the form of pay or extra benefits the NCAA doesn't currently allow.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boston Globe 5/31/14
    A $40 million settlement has been completed that will pay college football and basketball players dating to 2003 for the use of their likenesses in NCAA-branded videogames. The payouts could go to more than 100,000 athletes, including some current players, who were either on college rosters or had their images used in videogames made by Electronic Arts featuring college teams. Lawyers for the plaintiffs say it would be the first time college athletes will be paid for the commercial use of their images. Depending on how many athletes apply for the settlement, the payments could range from as little as $48 for each year an athlete was on a roster to $951 for each year the image of an athlete was used in a videogame.

The settlement is with Electronic Arts and Collegiate Licensing Co., which licenses and markets college sports, and does not include the NCAA. The case against the NCAA is scheduled for trial early next year. Plaintiffs in the case, which dates to 2009, contend the NCAA conspired with Electronic Arts and Collegiate Licensing Co. to illegally use their images in videogames. U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken still must approve the proposed settlement, which comes on the eve of a major antitrust trial against the NCAA that could reshape the way college sports operate. That case, featuring former UCLA basketball star Ed O'Bannon and others as lead plaintiffs, goes to trial June 9 in Oakland, California.

EA Sports announced last year it would stop making the long-running NCAA football videogame series because of the litigation and other issues in securing licensing rights.
    So this has been a pretty wide scoping story in sports lately. This $40 million EA settlement for the video games is chump change but it could be another important domino to fall in a major change to the college sports landscape. The players who were on the covers of those games should really get a lot more money, not sure if they will though. The antitrust trial beginning June 9 will be the big thing to watch. I think the players will win based on this trend of rulings.. but aside from that, SHOULD they be paid? And should they be allowed to make money off endorsements? Which in the case of the big names like Tebow, Manziel, Reggie Bush, Vince Young.. would potentially be multi-million dollar endorsement deals while they're still in college. THOUGHTS?

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm torn on this. They are pretty much treated as slaves and the money they generate pays for all kinds of shit. Fuck unions though.
    Last edited by DVDA; May 31st, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    I don't often find myself at odds with union movements but I think no. The problem with college sports isn't that students aren't paid, the problem is the commercialization itself. College athletics should be for academically-focused students who enjoy playing spots, no different from a college theater group, debate club, whatever. Turning it into some giant media-whoring revenue generating machine was the wrong idea in the first place. If the NFL wants a place they can recruit from where young athletes focus entirely on getting ready to play the sport professionally, they should set it up themselves.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I voted yes.

For football/men's basketball especially, they aren't truly amateurs; many are in university for the minimum amount of time necessary (3 years for football, 1 for hoops) before trying to get to the next level. Their athletic efforts earn huge revenues for their school, which in turn fund the other less visible athletic programs.

If you, as a Jameis Winston/Andrew Wiggins type, are able to earn a little extra money for the efforts that you provide, you should be able to. It is truly a joke that in the good old USA, where capitalism rules all, that a stud athlete can't profit from his talents.
    Last edited by Tyson; May 31st, 2014 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it should be noted this whole debate is really about Football and Men's Basketball only since those are the only real revenue earners.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything I know about this I know because of Keith Olbermann. He presents it as a ridiculous system, so gonna go with yes.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Of course he does. He's about as far left as it gets.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Everything I know about this I know because of Keith Olbermann. He presents it as a ridiculous system, so gonna go with yes.
    Consider this.

Ronaldo/Rooney having to go to university straight out of high school, for a predetermined number of years. During those years at university, they aren't allowed to accept ANY money at all; room and board is allowed, but any other income is illegal. All this while their athletic exploits make tens of millions of dollars for their institution.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Consider this.

Ronaldo/Rooney having to go to university straight out of high school, for a predetermined number of years. During those years at university, they aren't allowed to accept ANY money at all; room and board is allowed, but any other income is illegal. All this while their athletic exploits make tens of millions of dollars for their institution.
    Cool, so I do actually understand it quite well.

And yes, that is ridiculous. Ensuring all athletes are educated to a certain level is a great ideal, but that shouldn't lead to this exploitation.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I dunno about a salary. They're already all getting free rides to school.

The likes of Jonny Manziel and Tim Tebow are the ones bringing in the money, not their offensive linemen or punter. Would there be a pay scale based on position?

Or would you sell jerseys and the player gets a cut of the merchandise?

They're all absolutely exploited, there's no doubt, but most of them really aren't going to be moving onto the pros and are getting a free education for it.

So I dunno.

VOTE: I dunno

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Equal salary for each player that way there are no favorites. It doesn't even have to be a lot of money, say $500-1000/month, just enough to be able to take the GF out for date or have a couple nights out with the boys.

A cut of merchandise sales would definitely be a move in the right direction, 1-5% of a $150 jersey sale with their name on it isn't unreasonable. Winston getting $1.50 for each of his jersey that gets sold would definitely add up.
    Last edited by Tyson; June 1st, 2014 at 1:52 AM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    College athletes are about to get paid.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    As much money as the NCAA and schools make off these athletes about time honestly.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The NCAA isnt going to be paying them. They are going to get paid by the car dealership in town who they do an add for and the resturant who has them in to do an appearance. Things like that. The NCAA isnt going to share a dime of their money.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Equal salary for each player that way there are no favorites. It doesn't even have to be a lot of money, say $500-1000/month, just enough to be able to take the GF out for date or have a couple nights out with the boys.
    Why should the benchwarmers get paid the same as the players that are actually good?

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the family members of the high school blue chip recruits won't have to pretend to work when they are offered a job from a rich alumni booster

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I coach HS Fastpitch during the school year. In the off season I work with a 14 and under program. Currently I have 3 of my former players who are in playing in college right now come back and get paid to coach and run clinics for that 14u program.

However I cannot advertise them. The rule change will allow us to say come get pitching lessons from Golden Gopher XXX XXXXXX. In theory then we would bring in more people who want to work with established stars. Right now all we can say is work with "current college athletes."

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    The NCAA isnt going to be paying them. They are going to get paid by the car dealership in town who they do an add for and the resturant who has them in to do an appearance. Things like that. The NCAA isnt going to share a dime of their money.
    I know. I phrased it wrong. At least they can finally make some money while they are at it. yeah I know the NCAA and schools are not sharing but at least the athletes can make some money on top of the scholarships which is only fair to me since it can be difficult for a student athlete to work regularly and practice and keep up grades. So getting paid for things like that is nice for them.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Pay them, so we can get the NCAA video games back.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About time.