User Tag List

Thread: A look back

Simon

A look back

Did something like this a few years ago but I reckon it's worth a re-up. Think back over wild shouts you've had over the time you've been here that you have either been proven wrong or right on. Preferably both so that it doesn't just become a boasting match.

I thought of this thread because 5 Live were discussing Chelsea's youth setup failure the other night, and I was reminded of being mocked for saying that Josh McEachran didn't look up to much. That was a couple of years ago and everyone told me the boy was different gravy...however three years later he has done nothing really, a couple of unsuccessful loan spells at Watford and Middlesbrough, and now at Wigan, with nothing to suggest he will make the step up. So fuck you lot that laughed at me.

On the other hand...Gomes didn't quite turn out to be the world beater I thought he could be to be fair goalkeepers peak later than outfield players and he's still apparently at Spurs, though no one can actually prove this. So I still hold out hope of being proven right, just as I have been in my assessment that Wayne Routledge is better than Ashley Young. It took a few years but finally I feel like I'm spot on about that one.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always said Samaras was brilliant when Celtic fans were really against him and he was getting booed off and the likes. Maintained that he was the best player in that squad when he was 'on' and he just needed some confidence and to be played off a sriker or out wide rather than up top himself. He's now reveered and loved and a hero and all that.
    (INSERT SIGNATURE HERE)

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only person I remember really hyping McEachran was KMH.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn View Post
    Grant Holt in the championship will be a hilarious sight
    500k for Grant Holt ffs didn't know it was that much I don't quite think he's worth 25 Charlie MacDonalds.
    Grant Holt = shit
    He's like a shit Grant Holt or a Liam Hatch. Shit ability but works hard.
    He's nothing special like you are making out. You've been influenced by the media here and the fact that he went for a big transfer fee from a higher league club I'm afraid. He's massively overrated, half his goals were penalties and from open play he's not scored as much as the other top strikers in the division.
    MacDonald (who simply looked better than Holt, scored a well finished goal with good all round play at Griffin Park) and Rhodes (perfect hat trick at their place) both outclassed him last season when we played them too.
    Dunno mate. But in news that will interest you, Colchester have bid 250k () for Grant Holt.
    This went badly. Shut up TraXX Atleast one of the players I said he was better than him five years ago was Jordan Rhodes.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Only person I remember really hyping McEachran was KMH.
    How's Freddy Eastwood doing nowadays Biffo? I reckon he's only a couple of years away from fucking it off and going into bare knuckle boxing.

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    So I still hold out hope of being proven right, just as I have been in my assessment that Wayne Routledge is better than Ashley Young. It took a few years but finally I feel like I'm spot on about that one.
    I don't see how. Young has had a much, much better career than Routledge bar last season.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Favourite prediction I ever made was that Andrew Johnson would play for England. I was 15 or 16, had watched an awful 0-0 on a wet and freezing tuesday night at St Andrews and the only highlight was the debut of this kid who just looked a level above everything else on the pitch.

Francis and Bruce never knew how to get the best out of him unfortunately so he left for Palace while we got Clinton fucking Morrison.

I also said the same about Cameron Jerome. That one didn't work out so well.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    I don't see how. Young has had a much, much better career than Routledge bar last season.
    I am joking you nutsack, although with an element of truth over the past year or so.

Simon
    The Clinton Morrisson rumours thread is one of Rajah's best ever.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's Freddy Eastwood doing nowadays Biffo? I reckon he's only a couple of years away from fucking it off and going into bare knuckle boxing.
    Probably polishing his international caps. Called that one pretty much perfectly.

He's actually got a serious knee issue. Won't be able to train any more and has been restricted to substitute appearances lately. Real shame as he started the season so well.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    I also said the same about Cameron Jerome. That one didn't work out so well.
    He had the best debut ever for your lot

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    To write off a player at the age of 20 is still fairly silly. McEachran's loans at Swansea and Watford were fairly disastrous because he didn't play much - they weren't the right settings for him for a number of reasons. The Boro loan was considerably better. He's clearly a talented boy who tends to shine with better players around him and if he does well at Wigan under Rosler (a manager he's probably quite suited to playing under) he could be playing Premier League football next season. He's unlikely to make it at Chelsea but there's every chance he'll come through for another top flight club and end up forging a successful career for himself.

If in three years time he's coasting along in the conference south you can have that one.

The Rosk
    I am joking you nutsack, although with an element of truth over the past year or so.
    Sure.

The Rosk
    Luke and Stefan Moore would play for England upfront as destroy because they are talented brothers who know each others game inside out and can both score shitloads. Stefan Moore recently signed for Brackley Town.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    To write off a player at the age of 20 is still fairly silly. McEachran's loans at Swansea and Watford were fairly disastrous because he didn't play much - they weren't the right settings for him for a number of reasons. The Boro loan was considerably better. He's clearly a talented boy who tends to shine with better players around him and if he does well at Wigan under Rosler (a manager he's probably quite suited to playing under) he could be playing Premier League football next season. He's unlikely to make it at Chelsea but there's every chance he'll come through for another top flight club and end up forging a successful career for himself.

If in three years time he's coasting along in the conference south you can have that one.
    He's 21 in a month and has done nothing at any of the Championship clubs that has convinced a Prem club to get him in on loan. There's nothing I said two years ago that doesn't remain the case now - didn't write him off but said I didn't see what was special about him (people were comparing him to Wilshere at the time) and that has thus far been shown to be right.

It wasn't just KMH either Beefy, a quick look back through the search engine shows Alex saying over two years ago that McEachran would "surely see more first team football" (to be fair I said something similar despite not rating him), Ringo said he "should definitely make it at Chelsea" and "he'll play more this season" (he got two games for Chelsea and then four while on loan at Swansea), da_man said similar as well.

Me and SheltonLondon (where did he go btw) where the only ones saying we didn't see the hype.
    Last edited by Simon; January 23rd, 2014 at 11:21 AM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    McEachran's old news. Transfer any comments I made to Chalobah.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    Luke and Stefan Moore would play for England upfront as destroy because they are talented brothers who know each others game inside out and can both score shitloads. Stefan Moore recently signed for Brackley Town.
    I got linked to Stefan Moore's wikipedia page a while back, seemingly he has moved down a division every season for the past few years. QPR -> Walsall -> Kidderminster -> Halesowen -> St. Neots -> Leamington -> Brackley. Give it six months and he'll probably be keeping me out of my team.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    He looked class when I saw him live for England U19s but that was at centre back, he plays centre mid now doesn't he? And didn't he fuck Forest off cos the fans hated him?

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember being excited at Ryan Garry (sadly injuries took their toll), thought Justin Hoyte was going to be brilliant and thought Stephen Hughes was going to play for England.

At least Reyes was better than Ronaldo.

Simon
    Ryan Garry must really love Arsenal - every time I start a new game on FM as Spurs, he is automatically listed as one of the people who has a low opinion of me.

Arsenal seem to churn out highly-rated players who never make it by the bucketload. That's not a dig btw, there are loads that I thought looked really good who are now in the lower leagues. Sanchez Watt is playing in League One I think, and just the other day I noticed that Jernade Meade is now at Swansea and nowhere near the first team.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He does - he is a youth coach at the club now and apparently very highly rated. Yeah there was Lupoli who went to Norwich, and Quincy who was shipped off to Russia.

Both looked very tidy when they came through but didnt quite make it. Watt (you watt, you watt, you watt you watt you watt!) just wasnt strong enough but was good on the ball and quick.

One of the biggest shames was Jerome Alliadere. So many injuries and he looked very promising. David Bentley is another example, but his problem was that he was a dickhead.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha, Reyes > Ronaldo.

Didn't Melv make that thread?

Andy

Arsenal seem to churn out highly-rated players who never make it by the bucketload. That's not a dig btw, there are loads that I thought looked really good who are now in the lower leagues. Sanchez Watt is playing in League One I think, and just the other day I noticed that Jernade Meade is now at Swansea and nowhere near the first team.
    Jernade Meade and Kyle Bartley both went to Swansea and it seemed like a decent fit. I think I said that in different circumstances they both could've played for arsenal (we were relatively strong at left back and centre back when they left), but it just hasn't worked for whatever reason.

I remember raving about JET and Lansbury. Lansbury might make it back to the PL but JET is playing in league one now I think. I really thought Hatem Ben Arfa would kick on and do big things but he can't get off the bench at the moment.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    HBA is excellent in games where he is in the mood, but he can't defend at all and he struggles against teams that stand off him, he's much happier when he can use his speed of foot to slip defenders, we use him as an impact player and to be honest he almost struggles at that sometimes.

A better one to watch for us is Anita, exceptional talent and he really works hard on his game, spent the summer bulking up because last year he was too lightweight, this year he's been outstanding.

The Rosk
    I've watched JET because of RFF and he is ridiculous in League One. Scoring thunderbolts for fun in a very very shit side. You never know. Head issue.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Lansbury might make it back to the PL.
    No doubt about it, he's great.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    A better one to watch for us is Anita, exceptional talent and he really works hard on his game, spent the summer bulking up because last year he was too lightweight, this year he's been outstanding.
    Pardew's biggest blind spot in my opinion. Taking him off for Ameobi in the West Ham game really let them back into it.

43rd Best Rajah Poster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He looked class when I saw him live for England U19s but that was at centre back, he plays centre mid now doesn't he? And didn't he fuck Forest off cos the fans hated him?
    We sent him back because he was crap and couldn't hold down a place in our team. Definitely has ability but clearly a huge chip on his shoulder and a billy big bollocks attitude. So he will probably play for England.

Simon
    Bang on about Josh McEachran

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This went badly. Shut up TraXX Atleast one of the players I said he was better than him five years ago was Jordan Rhodes.
    Nearly 7 years later and this still makes me giggle.

#Tornisacunt

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God I hate Grant Holt

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Grant Holt is a Barrow legend and a great man.