User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Annual Sting Thread

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    Like someone else said a bit earlier in this thread, I've no interest to see Taker and Sting standing around with the lights out pointing at the Wrestlemania sign for 2 months to build their match.
    When's the last time Taker got a 2 month build?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Despite being a massive Taker fan I have to admit that I'd much rather see Sting against Triple H at Mania. Seems like it'd be a lot more interesting in every way: build up, promos, the match itself. Sign me up for that.
    And Sting is the type of guy who would be anti authority so against Hunter makes perfect sense.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    When's the last time Taker got a 2 month build?
    Wasn't the Lesnar stuff last year done for something like 6 or 7 weeks?

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    Wasn't the Lesnar stuff last year done for something like 6 or 7 weeks?
    I think it was actually closer to 4, but it just fucking felt like 8. Think CM Punk got closer to 6.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching some August 1994 WWF during the time where Luger was being questioned about joining the Million $ Corporation and it wound up being Tatanka.....A year or so later Luger is in Nitro and his loyalty being questioned and Sting coming to his defense without hesitation.

It always bothered me that of all people, Sting was the one people just couldn't believe he was not joining the nWo. No real benefit of the doubt. But Luger, that untrustworthy son of a bitch stiffs the WWF, shows up on Nitro, turned face to heel, heel to face, several times in like 5 years but Sting can't be trusted? Fuck you Luger.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Very good point. Funny how things turned out for Lex. I remember buying in and thinking Ted had bought Luger. I did not see Tatanka turning but watching in hindsight it's like duh, should have saw that one coming Jarrod.

I've been watching some old WWF stuff too, on YouTube that doesn't get put on The Network.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone still think they could get a Sting/Taker match to end Takers career?

Should have been the match in 2015, no-one cared about HHH/Sting or Taker/Wyatt.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    That HHH/Sting match still irritates me. HHH going over, firstly, but also because, like you say Romford, nobody wanted to see it anyway. We waited all that time for a Sting WWE match and he's losing to Helmsley at 'Mania. Dear Lord.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh the outcome was even worse, had me raging, maybe even worse than when HHH beat Booker T at 19. You bring this guy in, the biggest star to have never been in WWE and you job him out to HHH who isnt even a top tier all guy?

I would have understood it if it was Rock or Austin in their prime but a 45 year old HHH? Terrible.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Eh, I don't mind the way the Sting match went although I really believe in Stinger. it was basically WWE vs WCW IN WWE and Trips used a sledgehammer to win. Total bullshit but everyone knows Sting is the better man, and it was worth watching for the DX vs nWo participation.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't mind it either. They should not have shaken hands after though. And Sting should've went over in the next ppv instead of losing to Rollins. Maybe have him feud with another heel get a WWE ppv win and then lose to Rollins on his way out?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always said that the NWO helping Sting made zero sense. Wolfpac, sure. But Hollywood? His arch nemesis?? It'd be like the Green Goblin saving Spider Man against The Justice League. Sure they're Marvel, even in the same comic at times, but buddies? Just shows how tone deaf Triple H and Vince are.

Keep in mind, these are the same assholes who 2 years ago had the balls to come out on live tv and tell the fans they were going to finally go back to listening to us more often than not. And what'd they do? Put a rocket on Baron Corbin lol and buried Dean Ambrose.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could have got years out of Sting as a special attraction but jobbed him out in his first match and totally killed his mystique. Been watching since 1990 and cant remember a worse booking choice.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sting was someone that I wasn't a big fan of until probably late 1995 into1996. He teamed up with Booker T against Road Warriors @ Uncensored and it was just crazy to me. I was a big Harlem Heat fan especially Booker T and I thought wow, of all people Sting could've picked he picked Booker T and it was great. Prior to 1995-1996, Sting being on the card wasn't a match I went out of my way to see but I wouldn't fast forward it or change the channel.

Undertaker was another guy that it took me a while to really sink my teeth into. 1996 with Diesel and Mankind, then into 1997 I was starting to come around for sure. I think I was more into his opponents getting better like Diesel, Mankind, Vader, Goldust, Austin, Bret, Shawn, he had a great fucking stretch from early 1996 until what, mid 1999? But I became a big fan at KOTR 1998.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think on WWE Untold they kinda of hinted that HHH going over Sting was more about building HHH up to face the Rock next year but I’ve heard better excuses. I don’t know how Trips losing to Sting hurts his credibility against the Rock who he has beaten several times and was basically retired.

But I enjoyed it and the build was better than most of the matches on the card.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imagine this... Yokozuna on the USS Intrepid for the bodyslam challenge. The whole WWF roster try and fail. The show is about to be over. Fuji cuts a promo mocking the WWF. Helicopter flies in, and instead of Luger, Sting gets out wearing his Great American Bash red, white, and blue attire. Staredown between the two. They exchange a few words. Sting gives his trademark scream and then slams Yokozuna. The place goes more nuts than it did for Luger, because Sting has a built in fan base.
    Last edited by Brock Kasady; July 13th, 2020 at 3:47 PM.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Realistically though, you think Sting could've pulled that slam off?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    I didn't mind it either. They should not have shaken hands after though. And Sting should've went over in the next ppv instead of losing to Rollins. Maybe have him feud with another heel get a WWE ppv win and then lose to Rollins on his way out?
    If he went over Rollins he would have vacated the title the next night.
    Thinking the hand shake would have been better to save for raw. Especially with the promo later that day. It kinda killed the moment

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Realistically though, you think Sting could've pulled that slam off?
    Realistically Yoko jumped and it was barely a hip toss when Luger did it. Sting was pretty fuckin strong. I remember he was able to easily slam The Shark, Vader, and the Colossal Kongs.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sting v. Seth Rollins should have never happened. At the least it should have been Sting and Cena v. Triple H and Rollins with Sting getting the win by pinning Triple H clean. That title match made no sense but shit 90% of Sting's TNA world title shots made zero sense.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Realistically Yoko jumped and it was barely a hip toss when Luger did it. Sting was pretty fuckin strong. I remember he was able to easily slam The Shark, Vader, and the Colossal Kongs.
    Forgot about the Vader slam. Yeah he was deceptively strong.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Weren't Sting and the Ultimate Warrior power lifters before becoming pro wrestlers. Make sense he could lift Vader.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I have spent the last year watching so much old Sting stuff. I was neeeeeeeever a fan of the Stinger beyond thinking the Crow gimmick was great and enjoying his TNA work.

That being said, I am such a fucking mark for Surfer Sting now. Dude had it all: amazing look, insane power, cool flashy moves, and he could bump and sell for anyone. Love this era of sting and i'm so glad that ive taken the time to go back and deep dive into the body of work of the man they call Sting.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I should do the same, the only WCW I've seen is the Hogan heel turn and a few Goldberg squash matches. I started watching...I think Halloween Havoc where they had a cage match with an electric chair. It ties to this thread because Sting was in it. But it was sooo bad that I turned it off.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sting/Vader feud from 92-94 is so damn good.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Weren't Sting and the Ultimate Warrior power lifters before becoming pro wrestlers. Make sense he could lift Vader.
    Yep. Sting was devout with that stuff it's fascinating listening to him talk about that period of time in his life.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That Sting scenario with Yoko would be pretty awesome except if it's not Luger then The Lex Express would never be a thing. Nine year old Jarrod running up to that bus in July of 93 is a memory that can not be erased. Luger popped out and all the kids went nuts.

The WWF was taping two Raws in Alex Bay NY. I had bleacher seats but my dad knew someone working the building. There was a group of older people that came and said it was too noisy in the front row. My dad's friend sought us out and all of a sudden Jarrod's in the front row. Such a incredible feeling. The show was nuts. I even made TV a couple times. Once when Macho jumps out to the floor to check under the ring for Doinks. Once during Lex's big go home speech during the contract signing. They had a close up on Luger's face and right next to that was my weak ass HBK mullet and I.

I almost caught Perfect's towel. My dad almost had a Scott Steiner wrist band.

I remember being super jealous I didn't get Bret's glasses. The kid who got them, Josh, I'd meet later in life and actually roomed with him. First thing after he got in was break them shades out. Yes I put them on. I took them right off too because they felt like they would fall apart right there on my face. Funny how small the world is though.

Oh and a Bushwhacker tried to lick my mother but she was pretty quick to lean back. He might have grazed her with that Bushwhacker tongue. She was there for Marty Jannetty and having that happened didn't endear Luke or Butch to her at all.

So any modes of transportation that rhyme with Sting?

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could've had him pay tribute to Thunderbirds and have go around in a Stingray boat.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sting engine train

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats a bigger dream match that could of happened but never did, Austin/Hogan? Or Taker/Sting?

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taker / Sting is more of a letdown because they were both at the top of their careers, and in believable shape, at the same time.

Hogan was never a great worker, and Austin had no interest in getting in the ring with a broken down older guy who couldn't move even when he was younger.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    Taker / Sting is more of a letdown because they were both at the top of their careers, and in believable shape, at the same time.

Hogan was never a great worker, and Austin had no interest in getting in the ring with a broken down older guy who couldn't move even when he was younger.
    Let me ask you this....Who came out of WM 18 with the more memorable match? Hogan, Austin, or Undertaker?

Austin, by his own admission, was a prick to work with. Plus this is the same guy who was offended that WCW shot down his idea to be a Hulk Hogan superfan that would team up with him. They thought Austin deserved better and gave that idiotic role to Dave Sullivan. Austin then cut a sweet promo in ECW shitting on Hogan, Bischoff, Dusty, Flair, etc.

Fast forward, you had a built in million+ ppv buyrate with Austin and Hogan. Let's be honest, Austin wasn't exactly Shawn Michaels during this time either. I think it all came down to Austin not wanting to job and he's said almost that exact line several times. Too bad.

I think it depends on when we get Sting v. Taker. TBH, I don't see it being a bigger dream match than Austin v. Hogan for the obvious reasons. The 2 biggest draws of the last 50 years going head to head during a time when people were still watching wrestling would have been much much bigger than Sting v. Undertaker no matter when.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I say Austin/Hogan. I even won a Wilfred Round using a Time Machine to book that match.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    I have spent the last year watching so much old Sting stuff. I was neeeeeeeever a fan of the Stinger beyond thinking the Crow gimmick was great and enjoying his TNA work.

That being said, I am such a fucking mark for Surfer Sting now. Dude had it all: amazing look, insane power, cool flashy moves, and he could bump and sell for anyone. Love this era of sting and i'm so glad that ive taken the time to go back and deep dive into the body of work of the man they call Sting.
    I haven't seen much of surfer Sting myself but I have to admit the more of that version I see, the more I dig it. Never really liked Crow Sting because it was so blatantly a rip-off of The Crow which I was super into as an angsty teenager so I kind of pissed me off. Gotta admit that I rather liked his Joker-esque era in TNA, though, from the few promos I watched he seemed to be killing it and it was a nice refresh for the character even if it was also a fairly blatant rip-off.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The Sting/Vader feud from 92-94 is so damn good.

it was such good shit. Seeing big ass sting get rag-dolled by the monster Vader and build up to insane fiery babyface comebacks...*chefs kiss*. Watching old Stinger stuff makes me so nostalgic for when babyfaces worked get the crowd to cheer them and power them up. It’s a lost art form, my dude.

I haven't seen much of surfer Sting myself but I have to admit the more of that version I see, the more I dig it. Never really liked Crow Sting because it was so blatantly a rip-off of The Crow which I was super into as an angsty teenager so I kind of pissed me off. Gotta admit that I rather liked his Joker-esque era in TNA, though, from the few promos I watched he seemed to be killing it and it was a nice refresh for the character even if it was also a fairly blatant rip-off.
    i can not recommend it enough. I got sick of watching modern wwe stuff and just started binging old wcw for absolutely no reason. Surfer sting is everything super-babyface John Cena should have been.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Never really liked Crow Sting because it was so blatantly a rip-off of The Crow which I was super into as an angsty teenager so I kind of pissed me off
    So revealing

I still haven't seen The Crow but I went wild for Sting dropping from rafters and beating dudes with a baseball bat

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    it was such good shit. Seeing big ass sting get rag-dolled by the monster Vader and build up to insane fiery babyface comebacks...*chefs kiss*. Watching old Stinger stuff makes me so nostalgic for when babyfaces worked get the crowd to cheer them and power them up. It’s a lost art form, my dude.

i can not recommend it enough. I got sick of watching modern wwe stuff and just started binging old wcw for absolutely no reason. Surfer sting is everything super-babyface John Cena should have been.
    I might see if I can dial up some old Stinger matches on the Youtubes to watch while I'm riding my exercise bike. I did watch "Sting: The Lost Tape" from the Network and it was pretty neat.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The strap match Sting has with Vader is a stiff blood bath. I loved every second of it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know most people would say Flair is Sting's best rival. Yes they had the most matches together but I think Vader might be his number 1. I believe they even went 2-2 in their ppv matches.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know most people would say Flair is Sting's best rival. Yes they had the most matches together but I think Vader might be his number 1. I believe they even went 2-2 in their ppv matches.
    I would say Flair #1, Hogan #2, Vader #3. Flair and Hogan go above Vader because of they had the more memorable matches and feuds. Even the face v. face Hogan-Sting match is stuff of legend. Not because of quality obviously lol. I will say in terms of who I like to watch Sting wrestle more, I would say Vader is at the top. Fast forward to TNA and I thought the matches Sting had with Kurt Angle deserve mention.

It's kind of sad that Sting was in TNA forever and honestly his biggest rival was probably Jeff Jarrett but I like to imagine it was Kurt Angle.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only WWE and Sting could have worked something out after his AOL contract expired. His run probably would've been a lot better than his 2015 run.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only WWE and Sting could have worked something out after his AOL contract expired. His run probably would've been a lot better than his 2015 run.
    I've always wondered something about Sting. He's always said the reason he never made the jump even after his AOL contract expired was due to the content. I think it was more than that because for one, he was working for a company called TNA. He actually went there during the early days for a match or 2 then came back after they landed the Spike deal. They were doing just as much if not more raunchy shit than the WWE, especially with Russo behind the wheel.

So was it more about control? Did he trust the layout of TNA more knowing that he could get a big payday (Million+ a year), work 10 matches, and have complete control over what he's doing?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    I think on JBL's show he said he just didn't trust McMahon/WWE, and he didn't really know why.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wondered something about Sting. He's always said the reason he never made the jump even after his AOL contract expired was due to the content. I think it was more than that because for one, he was working for a company called TNA. He actually went there during the early days for a match or 2 then came back after they landed the Spike deal. They were doing just as much if not more raunchy shit than the WWE, especially with Russo behind the wheel.

So was it more about control? Did he trust the layout of TNA more knowing that he could get a big payday (Million+ a year), work 10 matches, and have complete control over what he's doing?
    my guess is the live event schedule. they were only doing full time back then

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    I think on JBL's show he said he just didn't trust McMahon/WWE, and he didn't really know why.
    The crow probably showed him the Triple H match only it happens in 2002 at Mania instead of Booker T lol.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Probably saw how all the ex-WCW guys were jobbed out during the Invasion - DDP & Booker T in particular.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he would of been fine if he waited until after Trips was done with his Ric Flair experience on Raw. If he would of came in around WM23 he probably could of had some really good high profile matches with HBK, Cena, Taker, Orton and Jericho, he probably still would of jobbed to everyone except Jericho but the run would of been much better than wrestling in a 1 minute squash with high Hardy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sting would've been great as the guy to beat Hogan at WM6 if he had come earlier. At least he knew how to connect with fans. In 1993? I can see that would've been better with Sting going after Yoko for sure, in fact I would've preferred that. The bad part would be that Crow Sting may never come to be. Even if Sting would've wrestled one match in WWE - I would've been fine with it being against Undertaker.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    Sting would've been great as the guy to beat Hogan at WM6 if he had come earlier. At least he knew how to connect with fans. In 1993? I can see that would've been better with Sting going after Yoko for sure, in fact I would've preferred that. The bad part would be that Crow Sting may never come to be. Even if Sting would've wrestled one match in WWE - I would've been fine with it being against Undertaker.
    If the idea is that Warrior didn't then I definitely disagree with that. It's crazy how that narrative is out there thanks to Anti-Warrior fans (not saying you I'm just going off on a tangent) yet don't pay attention to how many wrestlers and fans are huge Warrior marks.

Sting and Warrior pretty much had the same issues at this time. They both went over the absolute #1 guy in the promotion and since those guys had all the stroke, they never really let Sting or Warrior truly shine brightest. Warrior wins the title and what happens? Hogan needs to be in a "co-main event" at Summerslam, next big ppv he has to be on the winning team with Warrior.

It is hard thinking of a good time for Sting to come in. Personally a good time IMHO would have been right after WCW was sold. I know we all say that about that top tier talent that never came over in 2001 but it's true.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He also lived in the area and didn't have to travel much. And at the time, Sting was doing a lot of paid guest speaking appearances for the churches around the Florida area, and he didn't have to give that up for TNA.