Results 6,501 to 6,600 of 7321

Thread: The WWE Network Thread

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    That's it.

And those young, up and comers, Bret Hart and Rick Steiner were part of that group.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk

I only remember because they did a event called New Blood Rising I think?

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WCW had the golden egg and a major weapon in the Monday Night Wars in Bret.They pissed it up so bad. Literally screwed over by Vince, whybdid they not use this advantage??
    Last edited by Badger; April 13th, 2018 at 6:05 AM.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Because of WCW Thunder.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should've called it WCW Hartdown

In all seriousness, the misuse of Bret I think was a major factor in their downfall. They could've still been in the war otherwise.
    Last edited by Badger; April 13th, 2018 at 6:11 AM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    The use of Bret was utterly laughable. At least he was on $3m a year I suppose.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Was just thinking about Abraham Washington today, and I was wondering what date he said his Kobe Bryant joke and if it's uncensored on the Network?

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been watching a lot of stuff from the early 2000s lately, and Vince's return to help the Rock against Shane and Big Show after a receiving telling off from Stephanie a few months prior was great. Inclyding decking HHH on the way to the ring. Even if the whole thing lead ro Vince screwing Rock at the end, I'd put it up there with Austin wrecking the Alliance after feeling down (although like Vince, that also resulted in him turning at the PPV).

Those wee returns were great no matter how fleeting.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The next Ride Along will have Braun/Bliss and Titus Worldwide. That first pairing should be good.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching 1998 Raws and pay-per-views. Watching Unforgiven 1998 tonight. A pretty good show, the thing I'm most blown away by is an insane bump Mick Foley takes in the main event. He and Austin are fighting on the stage, he charges Austin and gets tossed off the stage onto the concrete floor. No padding, no table, nothing to break his fall. He just flat backs onto the concrete with like a four foot drop off the stage. This is not even really a big spot in the match, they just keep wrestling afterward.

Foley totally came out of nowhere as a challenger for Austin but he was a good choice. Ended up having two awesome matches against Austin. Dude Love was a surprising choice, it seems like there would have been more money in Cactus Jack vs. Austin. But maybe they were thinking they would get to that down the line. Or maybe worried that Cactus Jack would be cheered even against Austin.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any idea why "Collison is Korea" isn't on the Network? I know it was a joint promotion with New Japan. Is it safe to assume that New Japan owns the rights to the show?

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I remember it being on 24/7 back in the day.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherHen View Post
    Anyone have any idea why "Collison is Korea" isn't on the Network? I know it was a joint promotion with New Japan. Is it safe to assume that New Japan owns the rights to the show?
    None of the WCW/New Japan shows are on the network so I assume there's an issue with the rights.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Starrcade ‘99. Sid Vs Nash in a powerbomb match. Ref gets knocked down. When he comes to, Nash tells him that he power bombed Sid. Ref awards Nash the winner.

That’s all I can take for now. I’m going to try Starrcade ‘83 tonight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Man, I can't believe they're actually bleeping "federation". The lawsuit was always about using "WWF", there has never been issues with saying or using "World Wrestling Federation".

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Must only be certain footage, as I've heard 'WWF' and 'World Wrestling Federation' plenty on the Network.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Must only be certain footage, as I've heard 'WWF' and 'World Wrestling Federation' plenty on the Network.
    Yeah I know. I wasn't clear on it but they have bleeped both "WWF" and "Federation" on Something else to Wrestle, both last week and on the new episode. I thought WWE worked all that out when they launched the network so they wouldn't have to blur/beep all that shit. And "World Wrestling Federation" has never been censored as far as I can remember, even when they used to bleep "WWF" pre network.

It's all kind of weird I think, the old classic WWF logo has never been blurred since the World Wildlife Fund lawsuit only concerned the Attitude Era scratch logo, but yet the old block logo is blurred in the 2K WWE games and also in the HBO André documentary.
    Last edited by OD50; April 26th, 2018 at 7:37 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of note, Meltzer reported that SETWW was the second most watched program on the Network last week, trailing WrestleMania.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Yeah I know. I wasn't clear on it but they have bleeped both "WWF" and "Federation" on Something else to Wrestle, both last week and on the new episode. I thought WWE worked all that out when they launched the network so they wouldn't have to blur/beep all that shit. And "World Wrestling Federation" has never been censored as far as I can remember, even when they used to bleep "WWF" pre network.

It's all kind of weird I think, the old classic WWF logo has never been blurred since the World Wildlife Fund lawsuit only concerned the Attitude Era scratch logo, but yet the old block logo is blurred in the 2K WWE games and also in the HBO André documentary.
    Ok, yeah, that is a bit weird. And yes, it was definitely the case that "World Wrestling Federation" was never censored.

That said, I must watch SETW.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it was Bruce on one of the podcasts that talked about how confusing the rules were on what they could and couldn't do concerning "WWF". Their lawyers apparently tell them different shit all the time about what might or might not go against the trademark.

To the point that many different people in the company have many different notions of what they are allowed to do with the logo, initials etc from the WWF time period.

God it's all so stupid. A decade and a half later and whenever someone hears "WWF" they still don't think of a wildlife organization. What in the actual fuck?

Wow. I'm still mad about it. Huh.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I can imagine the WWF/WWE settlement only allows WWE to use "WWF" and the scratch logo when it comes to archived footage and not for any new productions. Still, that doesn't explain why "..federation" (just federation, not "World Wrestling") was bleeped on SETW, or why the the classic WWF logo is blurred in the 2K games and the HBO documentary. At first I was thinking the settlement only concerned the Network/digital media and not other licenses like video games and maybe outside media outlets like HBO. Strange thing is that the old WWF logo was not blurred in Legends of WrestleMania by THQ in 2009 (so pre Network) but it is blurred in later WWE games by 2K.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    I believe it was Bruce on one of the podcasts that talked about how confusing the rules were on what they could and couldn't do concerning "WWF". Their lawyers apparently tell them different shit all the time about what might or might not go against the trademark.

To the point that many different people in the company have many different notions of what they are allowed to do with the logo, initials etc from the WWF time period.
    All this WWF/WWE settlement does seem like kind of a mess to me.

Legends of WrestleMana (2009):

WWE 2K14 (2013):

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    So, I've heard Bruce Prichard give three different stories on three different shows (The Main Event 1988, WrestleMania IV and the latest SETW on the Mega Powers) for the same situation, the fairly notorious Ricky Steamboat/Honky Tonk Man/Butch Reed/Hulk Hogan/IC title situation in 1987. Just found it interesting. People that lie a lot sometimes get lost in their own lies, just saying..

He also said that the reason for the ECW "invasion" of Raw in 1997 was just that Vince wanted to show goodwill and help promote ECW and their first PPV; Barely Legal. He didn't mention that the main reason was that over half of the WWF's roster was on tour of Germany and Vince needed something to fill up time for the February 24 Raw.

WWF @ Obenhausen, Germany - Arena - February 24, 1997 (4,193)
    Aldo Montoya defeated Alex Porteau
    The Sultan defeated Flash Funk
    Doug Furnas & Phil LaFon defeated Bob Holly & Leif Cassidy
    Ahmed Johnson defeated WWF Tag Team Champion Owen Hart
    Bret Hart defeated Mankind via submission with the Sharpshooter
    WWF IC Champion Rocky Maivia defeated Billy Gunn
    WWF European Title Tournament Semi Finals: WWF Tag Team Champion Davey Boy Smith pinned Vader with a powerslam as Vader came off the top
    WWF World Champion Psycho Sid defeated Hunter Hearst Helmsley
    Like Conrad says whenever Bruce talks about Vince or HHH... "Pucker up and get your chapstick up Bruce.."
    Last edited by OD50; April 27th, 2018 at 3:57 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Man, dude just said that ECW isn't what triggered the Attitude Era and that beer drinking Steve Austin wasn't inspired by the Sandman..

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even Steve Austin will tell you he took Sandman's beer drinking gimmick.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Bruce will probably tell you it was the genius of VKM..

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Surely people realised Bruce was full of shit at around episode 5?

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I've heard Bruce Prichard give three different stories on three different shows (The Main Event 1988, WrestleMania IV and the latest SETW on the Mega Powers) for the same situation, the fairly notorious Ricky Steamboat/Honky Tonk Man/Butch Reed/Hulk Hogan/IC title situation in 1987. Just found it interesting. People that lie a lot sometimes get lost in their own lies, just saying..

He also said that the reason for the ECW "invasion" of Raw in 1997 was just that Vince wanted to show goodwill and help promote ECW and their first PPV; Barely Legal. He didn't mention that the main reason was that over half of the WWF's roster was on tour of Germany and Vince needed something to fill up time for the February 24 Raw.

Like Conrad says whenever Bruce talks about Vince or HHH... "Pucker up and get your chapstick up Bruce.."
    Man, dude just said that ECW isn't what triggered the Attitude Era and that beer drinking Steve Austin wasn't inspired by the Sandman..
    he's a dickhead. he stumbled into a really good format for a podcast with conrad, but for how much of an 'inside guy' he was, he doesn't really provide a whole lot of new information. i pretty much listen to the show as a history lesson of a particular event or person or time thanks to conrad's research of the observer archives with a couple anecdotes thrown in from bruce.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    So, I stopped my WCW PPVs at Starrcade 1999 and went back and have seen Starrcade '83, '84 and '85. Enjoying this sooo much more. Starrcade '85, which I saw last night, was an excellent show. The most startling thing about it all was the sheer amount of blood. Totally over the top and present in almost every match. The I Quit match with Magnum and Tully was awesome and a total bloodbath. Pretty sick in places, particularly when Tully breaks down a wooden chair and tries to stab Magnum with the wood. You could feel the hate with these two.

Arn and Ole had a very good tag match with Billy Jack Haynes and Wahoo McDaniel and The Rock and Roll Express had a belter with the Kolloffs. Miss Atlanta Lively and Jimmy Valiant against the Midnight Express was pretty sick too, but so damned entertaining. And the main event, Dusty and Ric. Excellent 25 minute main event, where they went at a great pace and had a cracking match that had everything. Cracking psychology, selling, mat work and brawling. Of course the result was later reversed in true Dusty Rhodes fashion, but it doesn't take away from how good this match, and whole event, was.

And I can't emphasise enough how much better a show it makes when you have a hot crowd.

Anyone who hasn't seen it, I'd really recommend Starrcade '85.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I can imagine how great it must feel to go from 1999 WCW to 1985 NWA.. Like putting something soothing on a bad sunburn or something. The production wasn't great in '85 but the in-ring stuff, the storylines, the crowd and overall feel makes up for that.

I'm currently in the process of re-watching 1994 WCW, which is when I got back into WCW after a six year break. Watching Saturday Night, Worldwide, Main Event and the PPV's. Started in January and is now right before Spring Stampede. WCW was really great for a brief moment in time here- We are between Jim Herd and all his shitty gimmicks being gone and before Hulk Hogan joining and turning it into complete shit for two years before the nWo comes along.

The roster at this point is pretty mind-blowing, easily better than the WWF's. The upcoming PPV for example has..

Ric Flair
    Ricky Steamboat
    Vader
    Rick Rude
    Sting
    Big Bossman
    Great Muta
    Steve Austin
    Brian Pillman
    Steven/William Regal
    DDP
    Cactus Jack
    Nasty Boys
    Dustin Rhodes..

And Mean Gene, Jesse Ventura and Bobby Heenan working the sticks.

It really bums me out that Rick Rude's career ended very shortly here. He was by far the best heel in the business at this point and one of the most overall complete performers as well. He had hit his absolute peak here in 1992-1994, and then he was gone thanks to the retarded ring set-up of NJPW..

The no mustache thing was weird though, Rude without mustache is like Superman without his cape.
    Last edited by OD50; May 22nd, 2018 at 6:03 AM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Aye, that is a cracking roster right there. I'm looking forward to going all the way through to 1995 with the PPVs now.

I'll then go back and watch the 15 PPVs from 2000/1, but I'm going to spice it up with some alcohol.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Man, the 1995 PPV's were soo bad, such a downgrade from 1994. Instead of Rick Rude, Cactus Jack, Ricky Steamboat, 2 Cold Scorpio, Steve Austin and Vader* we had The Butcher, Hacksaw, Avalanche, Kevin Sullivan and Dave Sullivan.. And the greatest debut of all time..

I would probably need some pretty strong stuff to sit through WCW 2000-2001.

*I know Vader was still around until right before Fall Brawl '95, his feud with Hogan was terrible and he didn't do much of interest after it. The handicap match against Flair/AA was ok I guess.
    Last edited by OD50; May 22nd, 2018 at 6:47 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spring Stampede 1994 is one of my favorite WCW pay-per-views. Tons of great matches on that show. Flair vs. Steamboat was awesome, loved the Cactus Jack/Nasty Boys tag match. I remember some other good matches too.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys enjoying the Mid-South/UWF stuff that was rec uploaded?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Fancied a booze last night, so watched Souled Out 2000.

One dud after another and a Dusty finish in the main event.

Only remotely decent match was Kidman and Saturn and even that was sloppy because, lets be honest, all Saturn matches were.

Opener was Malenko and Kidman. Sounds good, eh? It was a 'catch' match where if you left the ring, you were disqualified. Dean seemingly forgot, rolled out after 2 minutes and was dq'd. Though seeing as he was granted his release the next day, maybe it was done on purpose.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    Spring Stampede 1994 is one of my favorite WCW pay-per-views. Tons of great matches on that show. Flair vs. Steamboat was awesome, loved the Cactus Jack/Nasty Boys tag match. I remember some other good matches too.
    Yeah, pretty much all the matches ranges from good to great, The Boss/Vader, Bunkhouse Buck/Dustin Rhodes, Rude/Sting even the DDP/Johnny B. Badd opener. Lots to like with this show and to me WCW at it's absolute best, basic storylines that made sense and an absolute all time great roster. The shitty Jim Herd WWF-lite gimmicks (Ding Dongs, Arachnaman, PN News etc.) were gone and Hogan hadn't yet infested the company with The Dungeon of Doom, the Yeti, Renegade, Zodiac etc, etc..

My particular story with this show is that at the time when WCW started to air here in Sweden in early 1994 (NWA/JCP aired in 1987-1988) the weekly show was on TV3 (basic free channel) while the PPV's aired on TV1000 (premium channel you had to pay for) which I didn't have. I was pretty damn stoked for this show but didn't have the channel it would air on, what to do..? I was an intern at the time for a company in the VA/VVS (heating, water and so on) business so I wrote a note put it on a pinboard and asked if there was someone in the company that had TV1000. Some fat dude came up to me the next day and said he did have the channel so I asked if he could record it for me the coming weekend and he said yes, sure. so I handed him some old battered VHS tape and was stoked I would get to watch Spring Stampede on Monday.

Monday morning when I found the random fat guy in his office he had of course forgotten to tape the damn show so I had to settle with the short recap on the following weekly show, which only made me want to see the show even more. It showed Dustin Rhodes and Vader all bloodied up, Saggs smashing Cactus Jack with the shovel and the double-pin in Flair/Steamboat. I was probably cursing the short memory random fat guy all through the recap. Probably took close to 15 years or so before I got to watch the show via the wonders of the internet. Not sure, but I think there was a guy called mets2K on these very boards that uploaded it in the old multumedia thread.

Great show though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Fancied a booze last night, so watched Souled Out 2000.
    Respect to you sir.

I have every 1999-2001 Nitro and PPV on my computer but I have never felt the urge to watch any of it. My television provider pulled the plug on TNT the day before the first Nitro that Russo worked (the night after Halloween Havoc '99) so to me WCW died at that time.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    You need the booze, I feel, but it is so bad that it has to be seen to be believed. And Bobby Heenan on commentary just doesn't give a fuck. Right off the bat he said something to the effect of 'I was talking to a fan earlier today and he told me what a great show it was going to be and I said to him 'you wanna bet?'.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yeah, I remember Heenan had totally checked out even back in 1999 when I was still watching. I'm rewatching WCW 1994 and Heenan has just joined the company. He's maybe not on his WWF level but still pretty enthusiastic and his usual witty self. He's probably at least happy to be working with Mean Gene again.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.V.W. View Post
    You guys enjoying the Mid-South/UWF stuff that was rec uploaded?
    I'm sure I'll binge a lot at some point. I've had fun watching every episode of UWF I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    SETWW this week about Russo was interesting, I was almost sure it was just going to A complete character assassination (with some merit) but Bruce did give him credit a number of times including saying despite his flaws Vince is a good guy with a good heart or something to that effect. Anyhow I am really enjoying these tbh.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    So, without booze, I watched Superbrawl 2000 last night. Spun through all backstage skits, entrances, the James Brown nonsense and a bit of Hogan and Luger and was done in 90 minutes.

It was as bad as Souled Out, really. Best match again involved Billy Kidman. Against Vampiro. Still sloppy though. And actually Flair and Funk wasn't that bad and featured a wicked looking piledriver through the table on Ric. But lets be honest, they're both over a decade past their primes here. About 6 matches went under 5 minutes and they were all dross.

And then there was Tank Abbott, who dropped Big Al, whoever he is, to the floor from the top rope in a very awkward and stiff match. With Al on the floor, Tank then pulls a knife on him and tells him "I ought to fucking kill you right now". Camera switches to a wide shot and Schiavone suggests he was holding a pair of scissors to cut the man's beard off. Big Al didn't have a beard.

Main event was a 3-way for the World Title. Sid, Hall and Jarrett. Lasted under 8 minutes.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Haha I am going to start late WCW ppvs I think just for lols.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Watch Souled Out and Superbrawl 2000. I dare you.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Well it may take a couple of days but ok

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    And then there was Tank Abbott, who dropped Big Al, whoever he is, to the floor from the top rope in a very awkward and stiff match. With Al on the floor, Tank then pulls a knife on him and tells him "I ought to fucking kill you right now". Camera switches to a wide shot and Schiavone suggests he was holding a pair of scissors to cut the man's beard off. Big Al didn't have a beard.
    Haha, had to take a look at this on the Network. Was brilliant

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Guessing Big Al, was Al Green? The guy that once teamed with Nash in the Master Blasters. He always was kind of shit.

And that knife spot is some legendary WrestleCrap. Remember reading about it in Power Slam magazine back in the day.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Relates back to the Vince Russo ep of SETWW with Bruce coming up with wanting to book OJ Simpson at WM one year against piper but Vince Russo then suggested OJ vs Fred Goldman where Fred would 'Get revenge' by whipping OJs ass with Knives, Guns and hand grenades! wtf were these fuckers on in booking meeting in those days?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Ah, Power Slam, I still have every one from December '97 to when the magazine ended in 2013 or 2014.

I'd love to have been in on one of those WCW booking meetings in 2000. Christ.

As for Tank, rumour was that Russo was sent home after Souled Out 2000 and the WCW title was vacated after Benoit was granted his release. Russo's pick for the belt was Tank. As ridiculous as that was, it really wasn't that bad. At least he was a legit tough guy. Got a lot worse than that down the road with Russo and Arquette holding the title. Hell, years later and the WWE Title has been passed around some very questionable guys too.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I think Madusa vs Oklahoma may steel the show here

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Well I was looking forward to at least a good open with Kidman/Malenko but it went about 2 minutes before Dean got DQ'd for touching the floor

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Daffney is so hot

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Daffney fucking was hot.

Yeah, Malenko either forgot the rules or he did it on purpose. What a last match he had in WCW.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait until you see David Flair 'wrestle'.

If you haven't seen him before, that is.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Match just finished, Now we have The Mamalukes and Inferno backstage. This show has been great.

- - - Updated - - -

Ohhh here come Ron and Don.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    DOA DOA DOA!

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If Dafney was hot I must be a fucking stud.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meltzer's reported that, even though they've gone back and forth on this before, the belief is that ICW and Progress is set to be added to the Network.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting from Conrad on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HeyHeyItsConrad/...18487706677248

Something Else to Wrestle isn't airing tonight in its normal spot because a dispute between Conrad and Bruce and WWE regarding the content of the episode. It was on WWECW. Conrad isn't really clear about what the dispute is over.

I'm thinking Benoit. He hasn't come up on the previous episodes of the network show and WWE doesn't ever bring him up when they do documentaries.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, Power Slam, I still have every one from December '97 to when the magazine ended in 2013 or 2014.

I'd love to have been in on one of those WCW booking meetings in 2000. Christ.

As for Tank, rumour was that Russo was sent home after Souled Out 2000 and the WCW title was vacated after Benoit was granted his release. Russo's pick for the belt was Tank. As ridiculous as that was, it really wasn't that bad. At least he was a legit tough guy. Got a lot worse than that down the road with Russo and Arquette holding the title. Hell, years later and the WWE Title has been passed around some very questionable guys too.
    The idea that Russo had, which he actually elucidated on actually sounds surprisingly coherent. At least as far as a Vince Russo idea can sound coherent.

Basically, Sid would've entered the Battle Royal for the World Title early on. And he'd have fought tooth and nail to eliminate every other top contender. After a tease where it looks like Sid has finally won, Tank Abbott would've come out as an unannounced entrant and faced off with Sid. Sid's been beat to Hell, is exhausted and now he has to face off with a legit MMA fighter. Needless to say, Tank waylays Sid, hammers him, and beats him for the belt.

Tank would hold it for a little while, until someone more stable could get healthy, return, and take it from him.

Now call me crazy, but I could have absolutely seen that working.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I agree, totally. There were far worse things going on in WCW than that at the time.

I watched Uncensored 2000 last night. Nothing good to see here. At all. Doesn't have a PPV feel at all, more like a Nitro feel. Commentators really not calling a lot of the action. Short, meaningless matches. Can't think of a single decent thing about this show. Even Kidman and Booker T couldn't get a decent match out of Stevie Ray and Big G (Ahmed Johnson). Christ Ahmed was fat.

Night before, I watched ECW Anarchy Rulz '99. Much, much better. And has aged a lot better than Barely Legal. Lynn/Storm, Tanaka/Awesome and Sabu/Credible were all excellent. And Guido/Crazy/Tajiri was fun too, even though those matches had been done to death at the time.

Next up, WCW Spring Stampede '00 and ECW November to Remember '99.

Also, Table for 3 (4) is a fun little show. Watched the E&C/Hardy one last night and they're always fun. Camp WWE, however, just no.

Right, after my WCW and ECW viewings are complete, I want to try some of the regional stuff on the Network. Where would be a good place to start? I started WCCW ages ago, but stopped at some point. Good idea to go back to that or try Mid-South, SMW etc? Or WCW Saturday Night?
    Last edited by Murphy; June 7th, 2018 at 5:13 AM.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Oh btw Murphy that dare to watch Souled Out, As soon as 'Oklahoma' Came out and cut his 'promo' I turned that shit off.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Yeah, sorry Pete. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Your into punishing yourself?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    It would appear that way, wouldn't it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I'm actually surprised it took all of 4 episode before WWE wanted to start tinkering with the show.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conrad has said that the version WWECW that comes out tomorrow is one he is still happy about. Felt there was some whitewashing that was going down after the sent their version in and was edited, but he feels good about the version that's being released tomorrow.

He also mentioned they ideally wanted to do a Punk episode this week but WWE felt it was best to steer clear of that, in light of the legal situation between Punk and WWE that concluded this week.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    Interesting from Conrad on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HeyHeyItsConrad/...18487706677248

Something Else to Wrestle isn't airing tonight in its normal spot because a dispute between Conrad and Bruce and WWE regarding the content of the episode. It was on WWECW. Conrad isn't really clear about what the dispute is over.

I'm thinking Benoit. He hasn't come up on the previous episodes of the network show and WWE doesn't ever bring him up when they do documentaries.
    As BGMaverick was getting at, it seems to be anything to do with CM Punk that has some of the WWE lawyers up in arms at the moment. Conrad was on Sam Roberts the other day and made it fairly clear that they were pushing to sort of have CM Punk left out of the the WWECW conversation. I believe out of fear that there may be countersuits coming from CM's camp now that he's won the case against Dr. Amaan.

It's funny though. Conrad can be deliciously dickish about things in the way that only the independently wealthy really can.

"Oh I can't talk about CM Punk? Ok I'll just talk about WWECW"

Knowing full well he'd still get to talk about CM Punk that way.

It's going to be interesting going forward to see if Conrad eventually gets pissed with WWE. The man has more money than God and doesn't need the network show at all to help out his revenue stream. Meanwhile you know Bruce is happier than a pig in shit to be back in WWE's good graces.

So we may get a very juicy situation out of this one day.

Conrad also made it clear that the edit WWE were sending him back of the WWECW show wasn't telling the true narrative that they had a hot brand with ECW and botched it up in some ways. Apparently the final edit will also reflect more of what Conrad was wanting.

Not sure why WWE would want the narrative to be that ECW never had shot at working again and they were idiots for trying. That seems worse to me...
    Last edited by Rancid_Planet; June 8th, 2018 at 7:34 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I didn't hear CM Punk mentioned once during this (edited out?), it was pretty much just Conrad shitting all over WWECW and Bruce sort of half-heartedly defending it since he probably thought it was complete shit as well. A very negative vibe throughout and not the most fun subject either. Conrad is a huge mark for the original ECW while Bruce toes the WWE/VKM line at all cost so it was expected.

I was glad SETW covered the 1993 KotR this week since the last couple of SETW/STW has been about things I really couldn't care less about (Bob Holly, John Cena, WWECW).

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually surprised by how much I liked the Bob Holly ep.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by casselmm47 View Post
    I was actually surprised by how much I liked the Bob Holly ep.
    Yeah, it was a pretty decent show overall. I just don't have much interest in Holly.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone still watch Camp WWE? There's Rusev, Rollins and KO yet they don't get speaking parts. Vince, Taker and Flair are far and away the best characters. HHH isn't bad I guess, I like how thecreal deal played "Quadruple H".

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I didn't hear CM Punk mentioned once during this (edited out?), it was pretty much just Conrad shitting all over WWECW and Bruce sort of half-heartedly defending it since he probably thought it was complete shit as well. A very negative vibe throughout and not the most fun subject either. Conrad is a huge mark for the original ECW while Bruce toes the WWE/VKM line at all cost so it was expected.
    Weird, I watched it today and they not only mentioned his pursuit of the title, they showed two clips, Once where Morrison beat him and a good 30-40 second clip of when he won his 'last chance' match and the title

And Bruce pretty much shit all over it as well, So ya know not really defending it (though he defended certain aspects)

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law

It was confirmed that it was Benoit.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Pump View Post
    Weird, I watched it today and they not only mentioned his pursuit of the title, they showed two clips, Once where Morrison beat him and a good 30-40 second clip of when he won his 'last chance' match and the title
    That's strange. To be honest I usually do other stuff when watching/listening to SETW/STW so I might have missed it. Will have to do a re-watch.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    CM Punk is the subject of next weeks season finale of SETWW

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CM Punk is the subject of next weeks season finale of SETWW
    I am much looking forward to a totally unslanted recap of events from WWE's point of view.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing it'll be more of a rehash of their podcast version, which was okay but not amazing.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure Prichard will have the Punk face on a stick ready.

For the record, I think Punk is a twat but cannot see WWE resisting getting their harsh digs in.
    Last edited by Badger; July 5th, 2018 at 5:10 PM.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I was watching Bash at the Beach '96 yesterday, and man, I read a lot about wrestling, tend to know of guys I've never actually seen wrestle, but never in my 30 years of watching wrestling have I heard of Joe Gomez.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    You haven't missed anything, he was pretty much a notch below Barry Horowitz. I think they tried to do something with him at one point with Teddy Long, not sure. Maybe it was him in that weird ass stable with Jim Powers and Alex Wright..

/Noo! Can't find that vignette anymore, it was the best/worst thing ever..

The stable was Jim Powers, Alex Wright, Joe Gomez and the Renegade managed by Teddy Long.

The video has seemingly been eradicated from the internet, but for anyone with slightly masochistic tendencies and the WWE Network it's on the 7/22/96 Nitro. About 20 minutes in.
    Last edited by OD50; July 9th, 2018 at 1:45 PM.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I am much looking forward to a totally unslanted recap of events from WWE's point of view.
    Actually that is basically what happened... You should all give it a watch

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A Monster Among Posters View Post
    I was watching Bash at the Beach '96 yesterday, and man, I read a lot about wrestling, tend to know of guys I've never actually seen wrestle, but never in my 30 years of watching wrestling have I heard of Joe Gomez.
    According to Kevin Sullivan he literally booked Joe Gomez in that match because he was fun to party with and he wanted to party with him after the show.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Was anyone watching WCW towards the end and were they charging for ANY tickets at all?

I've watched Bash at the Beach 2000 and New Blood Rising over the last few days. Thank fuck I'm down to having 7 or 8 left to watch. These shows were Russo at his absolute worst. BATB was the Hogan/Jarrett worked mess. I can't even go in to this.

NBR, the big build going in was for Nash/Goldberg/Steiner. They were making out it was going to be a 'shoot'. I remember watching the Thunder before back in 2000 and Schiavone doing a sit down interview with either Goldberg or Nash and Tony asked something to the effect of 'Will you go in and, despite the script, do what you want to do in that match?'

Match comes, Hudson on commentary 'Starrcade 1998, 2 weeks before the show, Nash is made head booker and he goes over at Starrcade. Coincedence?'. I mean, what the fuck were they doing?

Towards the end of the match, Nash goes for the powerbomb on Bill and Bill walks out on the match, with Hudson suggesting this was supposed to be the finish. 'What are they going to do now, make it up on the fly?'

I knew it was bad, but FUCK ME.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I guess the reasoning was that exposing the insides of the business, and using insider terms was supposed to edgy. Really it just ruins everything.

I'd take my 1990-1995 or 1996 days of pre-internet wrestling fandom over anything since.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why they would pander to that niche so predominantly is what I don't get. It's such a small portion of the audience that care about those things, and even less the ones that actually enjoy it being integrated into programming. Unbelievable lack of common sense. That whole New Blood vs. Millionaire's Club may be the worst written wrestling TV of all time - you typecast the older guys as mailing it in, past their best, hogging spotlight old fogies and put the heel authority figures AGAINST that. Surely the play was making Russo and Bischoff protective of their so called stars while the "held down" guys rebelled in an uphill battle? That way you can have Scott Steiner as the anti-hero as he'd not broken through at that point and you could make the argument that the nWo had cut his wheels off as an act. You have Booker T as the homegrown stalwart finally putting it all together and going on a run. I guess you could even keep Page babyface because he was held down compared to Hogan etc. despite his popularity surge. Goldberg of course stays face. Instead you've got loads of young guys completely miscast getting buried by guys who didn't need putting over, and it not meaning anything because it was just Hulk Hogan beating Billy Kidman. Imagine if the old guys are the heels and Rey gets his win back over Nash, the crowd goes apeshit surely.

DDP, Goldberg, Booker T, Mike Awesome and Scott Steiner vs. Hogan, Nash, Sting, Flair and Jarrett sounds like a good direction. Then you'd have the the rest of the guys on "big contracts" in Luger, Bagwell, Rick Steiner, Perfect etc. gradually putting over guys like Kidman and Vampiro in competitive feuds, getting them ready for the next level of heel when the top faces have had their run against them. Gradually building of course to Steiner going loose cannon, heel champion and facing Goldberg (on a fresh streak) at Starrcade 2000. Along with DDP vs. Sting (Franchise vs. People's Champ), Booker vs. Hogan, Jarrett vs. Vampiro for the US title, Awesome vs. Nash in some kind of Street Fight, Flair and Perfect vs. the Filthy Animals for the tag titles, heel Lance Storm defending the TV title and a well built cruiser match between maybe Shane Helms and Chavo and the rest of the old guys (Bagwell, Steiner, Kronik and Luger) putting over the Natural Born Thrillers as babyfaces (with a couple of changes to the line-up - say Jindrak, O'Haire, Crowbar, Elix Skipper and Reno) and you're set.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit the problem with that time is that EVERYONE was phoning it in. The newer talent would see how the established talent were acting in and out of the ring and it rubbed off on them. Probably why so many wrestlers who came over in 2001 had a culture shock so to speak with how organized WWE were compared to WCW.

The other big negative was the obvious, the creative team, and not just Vince Russo. Plus the other obvious negative, the network. Not so much what they could or couldn't do but just how lame TNT had become toward pro wrestling. And since WCW wasn't able to do what they had done for several years prior, i.e. taking big big names off WWE t.v. and put them on their show (Hogan, Savage, Nash, Hall), they were suffering.

Think about it....What if Stone Cold and Mankind went back to WCW in 2000? Let's avoid any talk of injuries and retirement but just fantasy booking what if 2 major stars left when WCW was struggling? Could have been the shot in the arm they needed just like when Hogan came over and then when Diesel and Razor came over.

Instead....We get half assed shit from Buff, Luger, Shane Douglas, which again leads to half assed shit from less established talent. And the ones who didn't like that stench left for WWE (Jericho, Benoit, Eddie, etc.) The workhorses left, and WCW truly suffered after that because that meant A-the veterans had to fill the void and B-the new "workhorses" were too fucking lazy in comparison.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fucking shit ton of old coliseum video stuff just went up.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    *Official press release.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm loving these. I used to rent them any chance I could get, usually the same ones 4-5 times. My best friend's mom ran a small local video store and she would always make sure she would get anything wrestling related back in the early early 90's.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I'm loving these. I used to rent them any chance I could get, usually the same ones 4-5 times. My best friend's mom ran a small local video store and she would always make sure she would get anything wrestling related back in the early early 90's.
    Fuck, I relate to this pretty much to the word.

I'm a tad younger than you (so mid 90's for me, rather than early 90's) but I can relate to this experience exactly, even down to my best mate's mum running a video store, and putting the wrestling tapes aside for me.

Growing up, until around 1996/1997, we got fuck all wrestling here. Basically, an hour of one of WCW's syndicated shows on a Sunday morning at a grand total of ONE WWF video release a month. This was mostly prior to the In Your House PPV's, so most months the video release was one of these Collosseum Video releases. So I would basically be salivating for a whole month waiting for the next Collosseum Video release.

So these videos are a massive nostalgia kick for me.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Official press release.
    I do have a fucking way with a shit ton of words.
    Last edited by Rancid_Planet; August 10th, 2018 at 5:53 AM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Watching NWA Chi-Town Rumble last night and I see that they were taking shots at the WWF even back then. 'We wrestle here' Jim Ross said on commentary early on. I'm assuming that was a dig at the WWF for their 'Ultimate Posedown' that had taken place a month earlier between Rick Rude and The Ultimate Warrior at the Royal Rumble.

Also, Sting Vs. Butch Reed was possibly the dullest match I have ever seen. After what was a promising opening 5 minutes, it then turned into a rest-fest, lasting what seemed like about 5 hours. And it was the good old babyface winning by rollup and being blasted afterwards booking. Yawn.

Haven't seen Steamboat and Flair yet, but that's going to be good.

Only decent match on the undercard was Cornette and The Midnight Express going up against Paul E's Midnight Express. Great fun. Corny and Paul E were great together.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    The NWA (JCP) always prided themselves on being the wrestling company as opposed to the glitz, glamor and showbiz company up north.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must know more about this Broken Universe "magic" that is coming to the Network. Sounds like a possible series as opposed to a one-off. That would be fucking cool.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Any idea when this tiered pricing thing I keep reading rumours about is coming in?

That may well be the time I cancel. I'm getting towards being finished with all the old stuff I wanted to watch.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea when this tiered pricing thing I keep reading rumours about is coming in?

That may well be the time I cancel. I'm getting towards being finished with all the old stuff I wanted to watch.
    The RUMOR is sometime next year obviously but it's literally nothing more than rumors. This seems to pop up every year, where the next year the WWE are going to raise the price of the Network. Still $9.99. I'll be honest, give me complete access I'll pay up to $20 a month, anything over that I might be willing to budge depending on what is and isn't available. Half of that shit I don't even watch.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumors are all over the place about this. I recall hearing last year that they intended to promote the new pricing just before WrestleMania, as they get a load of "seasonal" traffic. I have also heard rumors about them being concerned about the impact of the network business keeping fans away from their house shows - they are having more and more house "supershows with talent from both brands, because they aren't filling even the smaller arenas to half capacity.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It ain't gonna happen cause of TV deals and whatnot, but I'd pay $20 a month if it got me exclusivity to watch RAW and Smackdown live on the Network. $9.99 viewers wouldn't have that option etc. etc. Who knows. just a thought. I'm full of them.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's usually a month after going live that Smackdown and Raw appear on the Network, right? Maybe that gets trimmed to two weeks at a higher price point? I can't imagine it'll be next-day delivery anytime soon.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd pay $20 as long as I can still get the PPVs. That's primarily what I used the Network for.