User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: X-Men films

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They could've stretched it out over a couple of movies easily. Marvel Studios over on the other side have slow burned the battle with Thanos for like 6 years, across half a dozen movies.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    I would love them to continue this series with this bunch of actors. Not sure what the status is.
    Does anyone here even know what the plan was with these movies? Was the plan all along to create a origin story with "First Class" and then have it cross over with the original trilogy? Or did they plan on completely reboot the series and changed course later on down the line with the cross over?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    They could've stretched it out over a couple of movies easily. Marvel Studios over on the other side have slow burned the battle with Thanos for like 6 years, across half a dozen movies.
    Apocalypse is strong enough they could have somehow pulled a mega x men group together with X-Men from both timelines. Maybe marvel could have been nice enough to return the favor of spiderman to get hulk or Thor.

Or they could have done some actual justice to silver surfer.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virmicious View Post
    Apocalypse is strong enough they could have somehow pulled a mega x men group together with X-Men from both timelines. Maybe marvel could have been nice enough to return the favor of spiderman to get hulk or Thor.

Or they could have done some actual justice to silver surfer.
    I don't think they could've given them Thor or Hulk since Spiderman's owned by an entirely different studio (Sony, I think) to both Marvel Studios and Fox.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I was just saying a deal could be made similar to how marvel gets to use spiderman. Marvel probably could have gotten an even better deal on spiderman actually if a character was offered into the sony universe for cameos. But hey, probably best for Sony to flop these movies and sell these characters back to marvel.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    The problem with Apoclypse is he almost designed to be used by the older cast and not the new one. You could have had two movies. I would have them fight the Horsemen in the past in the first movie think they beat him and in the second movie, Apocalypse rises and deals real vengeance. After watching Logan, I am pretty ticked they wasted an X-Movie on the First Class characters that I don't think is as popular as everyone thinks.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally got around to watching X-Men: Apocalypse last night. Holy shit, what an awful movie. Dumb story, bad (imo) interpretation of the Apocalypse character, the acting across the board was terrible, awful dialog, the action sequences sucked, and the special effects just looked cheap. Other than Jennifer Lawrence in that purple dress at the beginning of the movie, X:A had no redeeming qualities. This also felt like one of those movies where it seemed like the actor just didn't give even the slightest of shits.

Since X2, there has been one good X-Men movie, and that was Logan. The rest range from mediocre to straight up bad.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to disagree with you (and I do) but if you didn't even think First Class was good then you've clearly got an irrational distaste for the new portion of the series.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First class was ok. Not anything special.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Days of Future Past is a great film.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I liked first class and days of future past, wasn't blown away by them, and will watch for a few minutes whenever it is on fx/hbo (which is often)

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First Class was good, Days was outstanding, Apocalypse not the best but better than it's given credit for.

It could almost be deliberate how well they copies the original trilogy's film standards.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First Class is very overrated in my book.

DoFP was good.

Apocalypse was utter shit.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    It could almost be deliberate how well they copies the original trilogy's film standards.
    This.

Loved Days of Future Past. Deadpool was a work of art. Still need to see Logan.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks solid.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    looks like the second draft of the X-Men: The Last Stand. Glad they are introducing the cosmic element of Jean Grey's story.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I have said this before, but while I adore Sophie Turner and want to marry her, I'm not yet sold on her ability to carry a movie in a leading role. I'm interested to see how she does in this especially since they barely put any of her lines in the trailer. She can be a little bland and I thought Jean Grey was bland in the original X-Men film trilogy too.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2nd go around for Dark Phoenix. It was an odd decision IMO to go this route as it was already done before but hey, rehash, remake, etc. This is not a shocker just felt they had more to work with. I'm excited, I'm more partial toward the X-Men franchise than the Avengers when it comes to the super hero group movies as it is. Both are great, X-Men just has a couple characters that are my ultimate favorites i.e. Wolverine, Professor X, Magneto, a few more.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does Storm need an umbrella?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, didn't really grab me. I don't think it looks bad, just didn't really grab me as something I need to see right away. I know I'll end up watching it because I really enjoy McAvoy and Fahsbender as Xavier and Magneto but this first trailer just gets a shoulder shrug from me.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I mean I guess they assume people know the phoenix storyline. Just a bit weird they didnt really try to provide any info on why she is going nuts. Trailer was alright it just weemed a little off.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first trailer to Captain Marvel didn't explain a damn thing either so be patient Virm.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean I guess they assume people know the phoenix storyline. Just a bit weird they didnt really try to provide any info on why she is going nuts. Trailer was alright it just weemed a little off.
    Maybe that's the hook. If you don't know, it's meant to intrigue rather than spell it straight out.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Maybe that's the hook. If you don't know, it's meant to intrigue rather than spell it straight out.
    Exactly. I mean, it's a called a preview, a trailer, for a specific reason. If you want to have it ruined just go watch the early 90's cartoon or X-Men 3. This movie looks like they want to tell a better Phoenix story. I mean, we have 90 different origin Superman, Spidey, and Batman movies. I think we can handle a re-telling of a story that was in film over 10 years ago if we can handle the re-telling of Spider-Man every 2 months.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I just cant comprehend spider man. Hiw did he get his powers again?

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, when a man and a spider love each other very much...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I do love that the MCU opted not to go with a Spider-Man origin film, and generally tried to do things that either haven't been done or were barely done with Spider-Man on screen yet...

I'm sure when Marvel gets the property properly, we'll see things we haven't seen before. Maybe The Brood. The Morlocks. Mister Sinister. Mojoworld. Omega Red. The Shi'ar Empire. God Damn Dinosaurs...

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Really? Dumbfucks with this kind of nonsense are the reason that trailers have to s.p.e.l.l.o.u.t.e.v.e.r.y.s.i.g.n.l.e.p.l.o.t.p.o. i.n.t.i.n.t.h.e.t.r.a.i.l.e.r. Enjoy the unknown, xmen is enough to sell this even if Sophie Turner is a rubbish actress.

"You're always sorry Charles. And there's always a speech. And nobody cares." - thats brilliant, Fassbender and McAovy have been the saving grace for these films. Hope this is a decent send off cause Marvel is resting and rebooting the fuck out of this when they get their hands on it.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I thought Apocalypse was ok. Nothing will be as terrible as Last Stand. Nothing. I do wish Logan was in this as he was in the comics. Also a waste there is no Hellfire Club just Magneto being sorta bad.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I've become so tired of are movies where the "good guys" are fighting each other. The X-Men roster just looks so thin already, and now they're split down the middle in this movie. Nobody looks like they're a part of the X-Men either. Just a bunch of cosplayers.

This doesn't look like X-Men anymore, it looks like a cheap Netflix movie for kids.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great trailer. I was so-so on the past trailers but this one has me very hyped.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks good. But trailers can do that. I thought Apocalypse was good when I saw it but then, i thought most of the X-Men flicks were good upon first viewing and then realize later I might be easily impressed sometimes. Still, I'm interested and am curious to hear what reviews are like to gauge whether this is going to be a theater or home viewing.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit, this was probably one of the worst super hero movies I've ever seen in my entire life. I LOVE the X-Men. I can usually find enough to make it enjoyable for me. This movie though....It was like everything that I read that people said negatively about the movie was spot on. The script, the suits, everything just.....wow I'm having trouble saying what hasn't already been said. 1-10 I'd give it a 3, maybe a 4.

I get there were a ton of re-writes, budget issues I assume looking at those hideous costumes and CGI.

Not even Professor X and Magneto delivered. Usually they're the MUST SEE characters but they had nothing to sink their teeth into.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I saw it on the flight. God it was terrible.

It’s not even so bad that it’s good. It’s just bad. I would kill for “you know what happens to toads” line.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    I saw it on the flight. God it was terrible.

It’s not even so bad that it’s good. It’s just bad. I would kill for “you know what happens to toads” line.
    It started out ok, sans the horrid costumes. But about 20-30 minutes in it hit me, "The fucking critics AND the fans were right, this movie fucking sucks!" I just kept waiting for the movie to matter. It felt like the people involved, not the actors, but everyone else (writers, director, the suits, etc. ) were like "Ah it's the last X-Men movie with Fox let's just not give a fuck!"

These movies are all tied in together. 18-19 years worth of movies and this was the "End Game" and it failed to deliver by a mile. It was almost like just because it took place in the late 80's early 90's that it was supposed to come across as "What if we did an X Men movie in 1990?" It fit right in with that old turd Captain America movie.

I can't shit on it enough and that's just heartbreaking for a fan of the other movies. The other movies, including the last one, were really fucking good. I'll even include the Wolverine movies, those were fucking great especially the last 2. But this I just can't forgive. When you watch Logan or X2, then you see this, it's almost like I said, they wanted it to fucking suck and went above and beyond to kill the interest in future X-Men projects.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No lie, I did a full marathon of all the X-Men movies over the last 3 weeks and Im literally up to Dark Phoenix now, and I'm not sure if I should bother finishing it after whats been said here.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    No lie, I did a full marathon of all the X-Men movies over the last 3 weeks and Im literally up to Dark Phoenix now, and I'm not sure if I should bother finishing it after whats been said here.
    All I can say is that you should watch it and maybe you'll find a little more enjoyment out of it. I mean, I could watch it again and maybe go "Ok I liked it better the 2nd time" I remember the first time I saw Anchorman I thought it was whack as fuck....2nd time around and I loved it, no clue what the difference was lol.

For the sheer fact you took the time to watch them all already, I say go ahead and rent this and go from there. Don't read the spoiler, it's not THAT big of a deal, but it will ruin a part of the movie:

Regarding Cyclops..

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Still better than X-3.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Still better than X-3.
    I disagree. X-3 was at one point in time arguably the worst X-Men movies. Not anymore.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X3 had better acting and Jean didn't randomly forget she was doing an American accent.

X3, for as much as I hate it, was the original send off to the Jackman, Stewart, McKellen, Janssen cast and I was much more invested in their characters than the group in Dark Phoenix. That's not to say anything about the actors this time around, but I didn't care about most of them. The bulk of the new crew was introduced in the shite that was Apocalypse and not really given any development there. Only development in that film for this one was Jean unleashing the Phoenix and they pretended like that never happened in this one. Just shit all around.

The X-Men films are so weird on my comic book film rankings. Logan, Deadpool, Deadpool 2, Days of Future Pants and X2 are probably all in or around my top ten. Dark Phoenix, X3, Origins and Apocalypse would fall in my bottom 10. When it's good, it's fantastic. When it's shit, it's abysmal.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X-3 is underrated.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    The X-Men films are so weird on my comic book film rankings. Logan, Deadpool, Deadpool 2, Days of Future Pants and X2 are probably all in or around my top ten. Dark Phoenix, X3, Origins and Apocalypse would fall in my bottom 10. When it's good, it's fantastic. When it's shit, it's abysmal.
    'Days of Future Pants' so succinctly sums up the X-men films..

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    X-3 is underrated.
    At this point, it is. X3 was a let down from X2, but there have been so many drastically worse comic movies since that it shows how it could have been so much worse. And now it is.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X3 is bad no doubt about it, but it gets more garbage flung on it than it deserves because it didn't stick the landing coming off of X2. Overall, it's just flat.

If we're talking about all X movies, though. Wolverine Origins is flat out the bottom of the pile.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But his cgi claws looked hilarious! That's got to count for something. As does giving Deapool two movies worth of material to crap on.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    At this point, it is. X3 was a let down from X2, but there have been so many drastically worse comic movies since that it shows how it could have been so much worse. And now it is.
    Nostalgia Critic's review of it is on point. Really, all the reviews from his X-Month series (all the pre-First Class X-men flicks) are worthwhile. X-3 is my personal favorite of them and he does a good job addressing why it deserves more credit and why the others, like X-2, maybe deserve less.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always enjoy when someone will try to explain why the worst of a series is actually better than we thought and why the best isn't "as good" as we thought. I'll have to take a listen to this and I've heard one about Star Wars by just some random dude that was intriguing that talked about why Return of the Jedi was the best of the original 3. But he broke down in terms of merchandise, that the toys and stuff that were affiliated with that movie made more money than merch for the previous 2.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    X3 is a shit show. Nostalgia critic is a hack.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Dark Phoenix. It wasn't as bad as many people are saying even though, yes, it was mediocre and a let down.

There were things I liked about it. Fassbender was great as usual and Magneto's scenes were a highlight. McAvoy was dealt a challenging role since his character was all over the place in this, but he did what he could with it. Sophie Turner was good. There were a few great action moments like Nightcrawler going HAM and pretty much all of Magneto fighting on the train. The ending where Jean rose into the phoenix was cool, plus her voiceover as Hank was revealed as the new head of the school, and the epilogue with Erik and Charles in Paris. Good stuff.

As for what I didn't like, where do I begin? The supporting cast wasn't very good... I'm talking Scott (gag... what are with this dude's lips?), Storm, Nightcrawler. Hank is good but otherwise McAvoy was surrounded by a bunch of really weak characters for most of this movie. And that includes J-Law/Raven who felt so flat in her scenes. Storm and Nightcrawler were fine when fighting but offered absolutely nothing in the normal dialogue scenes.

The overall story was okay. The Jean stuff with her parents and father and Charles was all strong (though another gripe is that the child actor who played her younger self wasn't great). The body snatchers / alien invasion plot fell flat, though it could have worked with a better script and storyboarding. I don't know much about all the production turmoil but it all just felt like it needed sharper writing and directing. The pieces were there, it just didn't come together. Thumbs down to Simon Kinberg I suppose.

Overall it wasn't awful, I enjoyed enough of it to be happy I watched it.

Score: 6/10

By comparison I've been reviewing all the MCU films in the Infinity Watch thread and the lowest score I've given was Incredible Hulk at 6.7.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ooh. Need to go read them all.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Dark Phoenix. It wasn't as bad as many people are saying even though, yes, it was mediocre and a let down.

There were things I liked about it. Fassbender was great as usual and Magneto's scenes were a highlight. McAvoy was dealt a challenging role since his character was all over the place in this, but he did what he could with it. Sophie Turner was good. There were a few great action moments like Nightcrawler going HAM and pretty much all of Magneto fighting on the train. The ending where Jean rose into the phoenix was cool, plus her voiceover as Hank was revealed as the new head of the school, and the epilogue with Erik and Charles in Paris. Good stuff.

As for what I didn't like, where do I begin? The supporting cast wasn't very good... I'm talking Scott (gag... what are with this dude's lips?), Storm, Nightcrawler. Hank is good but otherwise McAvoy was surrounded by a bunch of really weak characters for most of this movie. And that includes J-Law/Raven who felt so flat in her scenes. Storm and Nightcrawler were fine when fighting but offered absolutely nothing in the normal dialogue scenes.

The overall story was okay. The Jean stuff with her parents and father and Charles was all strong (though another gripe is that the child actor who played her younger self wasn't great). The body snatchers / alien invasion plot fell flat, though it could have worked with a better script and storyboarding. I don't know much about all the production turmoil but it all just felt like it needed sharper writing and directing. The pieces were there, it just didn't come together. Thumbs down to Simon Kinberg I suppose.

Overall it wasn't awful, I enjoyed enough of it to be happy I watched it.

Score: 6/10

By comparison I've been reviewing all the MCU films in the Infinity Watch thread and the lowest score I've given was Incredible Hulk at 6.7.
    90% of your post is negative so I'm surprised you gave it a 6 lol. I wasn't a fan of it. I actually went to watch it a 2nd time on HBO Go and something physically prevented me from putting myself through it. So I watched Alien 3 instead. (Funny reading my post from last year after watching it, suggesting I could watch it a 2nd time....)

I was actually digging the first 15-20 minutes and then it took a nosedive. A huge problem is that they've literally done this story and they didn't even go out and say "Well after DOFP this is an alternate timeline", nothing. Just, here we go! So many other stories they could have incorporated and unfortunately, a fucking MISSSSS.

Love the X-Men, all of the films are dope except this one. Painful to say that but I just hope the future holds something more than just redoing what Fox did.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought DOFP already established that this became an alt timeline? I forget exactly how that went down but I remember learning how the first class crew was no longer bound to follow the path of the first X-Men trilogy.

In any event this movie had enough going for it that I consider it mediocre not flat out bad. Loved Sophie and Fass as I stated.

But I love the franchise. I was also less harsh on Apocalypse than many people.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought DOFP already established that this became an alt timeline? I forget exactly how that went down but I remember learning how the first class crew was no longer bound to follow the path of the first X-Men trilogy.

In any event this movie had enough going for it that I consider it mediocre not flat out bad. Loved Sophie and Fass as I stated.

But I love the franchise. I was also less harsh on Apocalypse than many people.
    They did but that still doesn't mean you rehash a story completely in the same franchise. It was poorly done the first time imo and even worse this time.