User Tag List

Page 223 of 223 FirstFirst ... 213219220221222223
Results 22,201 to 22,235 of 22235

Thread: Wrestling RAMBLE Thread V5

  1. #22201
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    19,674
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    769605
    I got know clue who Alvarez is or what you're talking about.

  2. #22202
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    35,386
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    702175
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I got know clue who Alvarez is or what you're talking about.
    He's the heir to Melzter's throne. Or at least thinks he is. Dude is terrible and has nothing positive to say about really any promotion other than AEW and sometimes MLW, New Japan. The dude is a god to the Neckbeard Guild.

  3. #22203
    Main Eventer Horatio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm at Riddle tapped.
    Posts
    6,327
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    78790
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I got know clue who Alvarez is or what you're talking about.
    He's a wrestler, too. He's wrestled women, Larry Sweeney, the Rock N Roll Express, and Marko Stunt, among others. Not a bad little athlete, but not a fully committed wrestle guy. I think WWE should sign him as an in ring talent. That'd be a good way to get him on their side.

  4. #22204
    Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,587
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    245944
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    He's the heir to Melzter's throne. Or at least thinks he is. Dude is terrible and has nothing positive to say about really any promotion other than AEW and sometimes MLW, New Japan. The dude is a god to the Neckbeard Guild.
    That is basically Melzter summed up for the past 30 + years.

  5. #22205
    Born a loser Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Will die a loser
    Posts
    20,086
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    433415
    spain
    The new details on Alberto

  6. #22206
    Main Eventer Horatio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    I'm at Riddle tapped.
    Posts
    6,327
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    78790
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    The new details on Alberto
    Ramble on...

  7. #22207
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    35,386
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    702175
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    That is basically Melzter summed up for the past 30 + years.
    Meltzer at least has real insiders. I might give the guy shit and say a lot of what he "predicts" any of us could do. Sometimes though he does have information that there is no fucking way he just made it up and so happened to be right. That's been established and that's why despite many of my favorite wrestlers and people in the biz saying he's a parasite and all that wild shit.....They can't deny that he does, at times, deliver the goods.

    I think wrestlers just don't appreciate their work being criticized by someone who is, to them, merely a super fan. I'm sure without a doubt wrestlers have looked at Vince and flat out said What the fuck do you know about what we do? And that's the biggest promoter in the game. Now imagine little ass Dave Meltzer telling Sid what the fuck to do when Sid is a known draw he just doesn't wrestle like HBK.

  8. #22208
    Sometimes I disagree Mazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    8,602
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    296819
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Meltzer at least has real insiders. I might give the guy shit and say a lot of what he "predicts" any of us could do. Sometimes though he does have information that there is no fucking way he just made it up and so happened to be right. That's been established and that's why despite many of my favorite wrestlers and people in the biz saying he's a parasite and all that wild shit.....They can't deny that he does, at times, deliver the goods.

    I think wrestlers just don't appreciate their work being criticized by someone who is, to them, merely a super fan. I'm sure without a doubt wrestlers have looked at Vince and flat out said What the fuck do you know about what we do? And that's the biggest promoter in the game. Now imagine little ass Dave Meltzer telling Sid what the fuck to do when Sid is a known draw he just doesn't wrestle like HBK.
    I agree with this. Its pretty much a trueism across most professions, critique from outside the profession is met with more derision than usual.

    Not that there's not sometimes validity to people overstating or overvaluing their own expertise.


    But overall, I think it just hearkens back to natural defensive traits. There are some things that you probably need a decent experience/education level to have a good critique. As an example, I'm probably not going to drive into NASA and start telling their engineers how to do their jobs. On the other hand, I'm not sure I need to be Gordon Ramsey to know if my hamburger is overcooked. Knowing if a wrestling match was better than a baseline wrestling match seems to be closer to hamburgers than physics.

    That said, sometimes I'm not sure how much validity some of the more popular commentators add beyond what I can find in this forum.

  9. #22209
    Oh, YEAH! Sasori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Daniel Bryan's Dreams just kicked you in the balls!
    Posts
    9,572
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    174790
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    As if we didn't ready know Alvarez shits on WWE for a living he complained about otis climbing the ladder to win even though he previously climbed and the ladder broke.

    News flash Bryan he didn't win by climbing the ladder did he? So you didn't watch did you? Embarrassing.
    Alvarez's issue was that they did the same ladder spot with Otis on Smackdown. He was mad they didn't save it for the PPV.

  10. #22210
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    35,386
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    702175
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasori View Post
    Alvarez's issue was that they did the same ladder spot with Otis on Smackdown. He was mad they didn't save it for the PPV.
    Of course he was. He looked at it from a glass half empty point of view as opposed to it being a "oh fuck not again" moment. Then that's leave the vibe of how is Otis going to get it if he's too fuckin heavy? Boom we see it happen.

    You know what...My boy Frank at 35 trained to be a wrestler, even had a 6-man tag match on local tv. By default does my boy have some genius IQ for wrestling? Nope. Just like this ass.

  11. #22211
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    19,674
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    769605
    The odd thing about it is Braun Strowman weighs 50 pounds heavier than Otis. Did WWE just start buying weaker ladders in the past couple of years?

  12. #22212
    Born a loser Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Will die a loser
    Posts
    20,086
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    433415
    spain
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Ramble on...
    It is honestly vile, vile stuff and I wish I'd not read it

  13. #22213
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    35,386
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    702175
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The odd thing about it is Braun Strowman weighs 50 pounds heavier than Otis. Did WWE just start buying weaker ladders in the past couple of years?
    Maybe Otis' weight distribution is the reason. Fuck if I know lol The ladders in the PC and Titan Towers are probably shit.

  14. #22214
    Sometimes I disagree Mazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    8,602
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    296819
    Braun has much better weight distribution.

    Greendale Community College offers a course in ladders which is very helpful in these situations



  15. #22215
    Fuck you Roman... Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Thank You Taker...
    Posts
    14,325
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    40011
    Otis also stomps on the ladder instead of climbing it.

  16. #22216
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    57,956
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    717498
    I wonder if he’ll start climbing a cage in a match but can’t when he forgets he can use the door lol.

    That’s another pet hate ramble. Hate that cage matches means you can just ask the ref to open the door. I know why it was originally introduced but still hate it.

    Also do you guys prefer the chain link mesh or the old school cages with the bars? Latter is easier for climbing.

  17. #22217
    Sometimes I disagree Mazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    8,602
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    296819
    I don't like the open the door proviso either.


    I'm all about the bar cages.

  18. #22218
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    3,539
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    How about this for a cage match idea:

    Both guys start off with keys to the door lock, which is locked with the lock on the inside.

    The winning wrestler would still have to violently incapacitate their opponent to unlock the door, but they'd also have to have enough of their wits to unlock the door, too. You could have cutoffs, near opens, the babyface opening the lock, but closing it to beat down the heel some more and accidentally leaving his key in the lock. Guys stabbing and digging each other with the keys.

    Hell, even have the heel grab the face's key and throw it into the crowd.

    Imagine a moment where the heel is beat down, hammered into a fine paste, but he's trying to open the door, he gets the key in and starts to unlock the lock -- just as the babyface climbs the top of the cage, he swings down and kicks with both feet and sends the cage door slamming into the heel's dome just before he drops to the floor and wins.

    There's a lot of potential there, I think.

  19. #22219
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    57,956
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    717498
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
    I don't like the open the door proviso either.


    I'm all about the bar cages.
    Love the bar cages. Easier for climbing, good footholds and produced some great moments like Owen vs Bret for example.

  20. #22220
    Sometimes I disagree Mazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    8,602
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    296819
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    How about this for a cage match idea:

    Both guys start off with keys to the door lock, which is locked with the lock on the inside.

    The winning wrestler would still have to violently incapacitate their opponent to unlock the door, but they'd also have to have enough of their wits to unlock the door, too. You could have cutoffs, near opens, the babyface opening the lock, but closing it to beat down the heel some more and accidentally leaving his key in the lock. Guys stabbing and digging each other with the keys.

    Hell, even have the heel grab the face's key and throw it into the crowd.

    Imagine a moment where the heel is beat down, hammered into a fine paste, but he's trying to open the door, he gets the key in and starts to unlock the lock -- just as the babyface climbs the top of the cage, he swings down and kicks with both feet and sends the cage door slamming into the heel's dome just before he drops to the floor and wins.

    There's a lot of potential there, I think.
    I like this. Clever idea that good performers could have some fun with.

  21. #22221
    Main Eventer BigAl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    I live life on the edge...I tell angry women to relax
    Posts
    5,186
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    422180
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I wonder if he’ll start climbing a cage in a match but can’t when he forgets he can use the door lol.

    That’s another pet hate ramble. Hate that cage matches means you can just ask the ref to open the door. I know why it was originally introduced but still hate it.

    Also do you guys prefer the chain link mesh or the old school cages with the bars? Latter is easier for climbing.
    I don’t like cage matches because the entire point of winning is to run away from a fight. I mean I get it for a chickenshit heel, but a face running away from a fight to “win” makes no sense.

  22. #22222
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    3,539
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
    I like this. Clever idea that good performers could have some fun with.
    This feels like an AEW idea.

    Hell, even better -- A tag-team cage match, where the door is locked with the lock on the inside. There's a roof on the cage, and the two singles who start have to hammer the other guy enough to unlock the door and let their partner in.

    Obviously, the heel team gets the man advantage, babyface pops a comeback and gets his guy in, and you go from there.

    There's a lot you can do with the door in a cage match that nobody's really thought of yet.

  23. #22223
    Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,587
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    245944
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Meltzer at least has real insiders. I might give the guy shit and say a lot of what he "predicts" any of us could do. Sometimes though he does have information that there is no fucking way he just made it up and so happened to be right. That's been established and that's why despite many of my favorite wrestlers and people in the biz saying he's a parasite and all that wild shit.....They can't deny that he does, at times, deliver the goods.

    I think wrestlers just don't appreciate their work being criticized by someone who is, to them, merely a super fan. I'm sure without a doubt wrestlers have looked at Vince and flat out said What the fuck do you know about what we do? And that's the biggest promoter in the game. Now imagine little ass Dave Meltzer telling Sid what the fuck to do when Sid is a known draw he just doesn't wrestle like HBK.
    Really interesting that JR gives credit to Meltzer sometimes where he has got it spot on, but Bruce Pritchard shits on almost everything on he says haha.

  24. #22224
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    35,386
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    702175
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Really interesting that JR gives credit to Meltzer sometimes where he has got it spot on, but Bruce Pritchard shits on almost everything on he says haha.
    Yeah it's almost a gimmick with Bruce I think. Same with Bischoff. Although I think Bischoff truly does dislike Meltzer.

    JR is smart in the sense that he knows his employer is a mark for Dave Meltzer as well as the majority of the talent on the roster. So JR isn't going to shit on Dave but JR also isn't like that to be honest. He beats around the bush to try not to shit on anyone or spew negativity unless needed. If you ever read his blogs or listened to his old podcast he would always try to stray from answering any dirt.

  25. #22225
    Main Eventer
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,770
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    263733
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Really interesting that JR gives credit to Meltzer sometimes where he has got it spot on, but Bruce Pritchard shits on almost everything on he says haha.
    I can't remember exact instances but I do remember that it stood out when JR would generally say something is "bullshit" in regards to a report. But that's the difference, he'll call it out but move on with his point or counter the point but he won't go on a diatribe about it.

  26. #22226
    Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    13,587
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    245944
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Yeah it's almost a gimmick with Bruce I think. Same with Bischoff. Although I think Bischoff truly does dislike Meltzer.

    JR is smart in the sense that he knows his employer is a mark for Dave Meltzer as well as the majority of the talent on the roster. So JR isn't going to shit on Dave but JR also isn't like that to be honest. He beats around the bush to try not to shit on anyone or spew negativity unless needed. If you ever read his blogs or listened to his old podcast he would always try to stray from answering any dirt.
    JR does love a rant though. Good god, he can be annoying when he goes off on his tangents about people complaining about not getting their push etc.

  27. #22227
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    57,956
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    717498
    Used to like reading the old Ross Reports. Generally he would try to be positive when possible.

  28. #22228
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    19,674
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    769605
    Was never a fan of JR. Just seemed to have an "I'm better than you" attitude. He was great at finding talent though. He'd probably rank low on my favorite commentators list, but my goodness I'd take him over Tazz or JBL anyday of the week.

  29. #22229
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    57,956
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    717498
    Very few showed as much passion as JR did on the commentator's table back in his prime but his best days as a commentator went by a long time ago.

  30. #22230
    Born a loser Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Will die a loser
    Posts
    20,086
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    433415
    spain
    I like AEW a lot, But yeah it would be better without Jr at this point. Also he's turned into a pervo on twitter since his wife passed.

  31. #22231
    Sometimes I disagree Mazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    8,602
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    296819
    JR at his prime was great. Prime JR and Prime Heenan in a booth together would have made my head melt.


    I think JR approaches the business less as an ego trip and more of an actual business then some. It really makes very little sense in most cases to piss people off and bad mouth for clicks-if you intend to actually work with folks professionally.




    Jr does indeed love a rant. The rant where he rants on people who rant on him every time he shares an MMA opinion has become delightfully meta.

  32. #22232
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    3,539
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    I like AEW a lot, But yeah it would be better without Jr at this point. Also he's turned into a pervo on twitter since his wife passed.
    I love Jimbo in AEW.

    He's finally at that point in his career where every time he's on TV, he just seems like he's having fun. You can tell he doesn't do it for the money or because he really wants a full-time gig in wrestling. He's doing it because he finds it enjoyable.

  33. #22233
    World Champion Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    27,873
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    230926
    yugoslavia
    Looking back on the Attitude era now, I find it hard to listen to Ross's screaming.

    He's ok on AEW. Gets lost and muddled a fair bit, but I'd take that over micro-managed WWE commentators any day of the week.

  34. #22234
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    57,956
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    717498
    JR still lacks oomph though. He doesn’t have to scream like he once did but it’s still not the same.

    Though saying that, I think we’ve been spoiled with how awesome Jericho has been on commentary and his chemistry with “Ski-a-vone.” 2 man commentary booths is the way IMO. You have Tony being the straight and Jericho being the colour/foil. JR, Excalibur and Tony are just three straight guys really.

  35. #22235
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    35,386
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    702175
    For AEW the perfect team would be a trio of Joey Styles, Jim Ross, and either MJF while injured or a veteran heel wrestler/manager as heel color. Maybe not Joey but someone who can call the action by the proper names, JR would be able to be JR with his catchphrases and energy, and then a good witty heel to round things out.

    NXT IMHO has the best commentary in wrestling. That trio is perfect. Mauro might be over the top with his comparisons but his energy and passion for the action is on point. Beth is a great babyface perspective and Nigel, while a heel, isn't overbearing and comes across very natural in who he supports. They all have great voices and all 3 have serious credibility. Who's going to question any of them about what they're talking about? Nobody.

    Beth-multi-time women's champion, an actual WRESTLER, hall of famer
    Nigel-underground legend, ROH world champion during a peak era
    Mauro-MMA/Boxing commentator for top tier organizations for 20 years, fan favorite in wrestling

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •