User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who did you call?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Benson Henderson

7 100.00%

Thread: UFC on FOX 7: Henderson vs Melendez for the Unified Lightweight Championship - Apr 20

Banned
    I like animals, walks on the beach, romantic comedies, and cuddling with that special someone.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

UFC on FOX 7: Henderson vs Melendez for the Unified Lightweight Championship - Apr 20

Undisputed UFC Lightweight Championship
    Benson "Smooth" Henderson vs Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez

Frank Mir vs Daniel Cormier
    Nate Diaz vs Josh "The Punk" Thomson
    Jordan Mein vs Matt "The Immortal" Brown

Prelims
    Darren Elkins vs Chad Mendes
    Joseph Benavidez vs Darren Uyenoyama
    Yoel Romero Palacio vs Clifford Starks
    Ramsey Nijem vs Myles Jury
    Tim Means vs Jorge Masvidal
    Roger Bowling vs Anthony Njokuani
    Francis Carmont vs Lorenz Larkin
    TJ Dillashaw vs Hugo Viana

Last edited by Mark Hammer; April 14th, 2013 at 4:16 PM.

Banned
    I like animals, walks on the beach, romantic comedies, and cuddling with that special someone.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fuck me what a card. How crazy would it be if Belfort vs Rockhold was green-lighted to take place on this card as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Melendez looks like such a sleezy fucking cunt. Man I want Bendo to knock him the hell out.

النهاية قادمة ..
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nate Diaz vs Josh "The Punk" Thomson
    Just got back from a long nights work so I hadn't seen this fight confirmed earlier. Very nice.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

UFC on FOX 7: Henderson vs Melendez for the Unified Lightweight Championship- 4/20/13

Unified UFC Lightweight Championship
    Benson "Smooth" Henderson vs Gilbert "El Nino" Melendez

Frank Mir vs Daniel Cormier
    "Nasty" Nate Diaz vs Josh "The Punk" Thomson
    Matt "The Immortal" Brown vs Dan "The Outlaw" Hardy

Prelims
    Chad Mendes vs Clay Guida
    Roger Bowling vs Anthony Njokuani
    Jorge Masvidal vs Tim Means
    Myles Jury vs Ramsey Nijem
    Francis Carmont vs Lorenz Larkin
    Clifford Starks vs Yoel Romero
    Norman Parke vs Jon Tuck

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Another hell of a FOX card.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Oof how did I make this mistake? Mik could you please be a sweet heart and close/delete this one?

mouth breather
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two of the more anticipated fighters from strikeforce making their UFC debuts. Gotta love these FOX cards.

I believe Cormier said his intentions are to go after Bones' belt, but it'll be interesting to see what happens if/when he destroys Mir.

النهاية قادمة ..
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very interesting card. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to piss myself laughing when Mir knocks Cormier's hype train off the tracks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, Torn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankincense Golden Mir

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I regularly see people referring to Cormier as a "hype train" but the dude is legit. He ragdolled Josh Barnett for 25 minutes and destroyed the current number 1 contender. Mir always has a chance but Cormier is the rightful favorite going in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rightful favourite? He has beaten two guys with real credentials, Frank has a far more impressive record and would easily beat Barnett or Bigfoot.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yes, he absolutely without question is the rightful favorite. It's not even up for debate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball View Post
    Rightful favourite? He has beaten two guys with real credentials, Frank has a far more impressive record and would easily beat Barnett or Bigfoot.
    I don't think that Mir would beat either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until it happens we'll never know...unless he comfortable beats Cormier of course

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Anything could happen in this sport but I would be incredibly shocked if Mir "comfortably" beat Cormier. Not sure why you're so quick to discredit the guy, he has proven himself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he beats Mir I'll be hugely impressed, he'll be by far the best fighter he has beaten to date.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

"By far" huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easily, that's not hard to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guida out, Elkins in against Mendes. Much better fight, Elkins is very aggressive and will probably get knocked out by Money Mendes. BUT if he wins, 6 fight win streak and a victory over the consesus #2 featherweight? Huge.

Joseph Benavidez is opening the Facebook prelims right now against Darren Uyenoma or how however you spell it. Dazzling Darren. Would like to think they'll swap it with Parke vs. Tuck because it's a bit disrespectful to have an established top 10 fighter at 2 weights for 5 years fighting so early when nobody cares about Jon Tuck. Saying that, it was a very late addition and maybe Joe B accepted it knowing there was only space to open, who knows. Plus, let's be honest, one of the fights will fall apart between now and then so he'll get on telly.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I really like Elkins/Mendes, a couple of guys who have been fighting guys who had no business being in the cage with them. Deliberately in the case of Mendes. I'm pulling hard for Elkins, he is very under-appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Elkins, he seems a good hard working dude and his fights are usually pretty active, like a mini Sonnen. Chad Mendes is a fucking beast though, I honestly think Mendes beats everybody but Aldo and Edgar at the weightclass. Shame he couldn't smash Guida but I'd rather this fight since Elkins, um, fights, and Guida hugs.

This whole card is great. So many big leagues champions/title challengers on the show.

النهاية قادمة ..
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm, Edgar/Mendes.. I'd like to see that one someday actually.

Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too. I think we would discover, like a lot of things in life, the answer is money.

النهاية قادمة ..
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are one witty Canadian.

Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We Canadians are known far and wide for our cunning wit.
    Or is it our ugly women? One of the two.
    Last edited by kangus; March 21st, 2013 at 7:45 AM.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kangus View Post
    Or is it our ugly women?
    That must be a West Coast thing...

This card is stacked. I love the FOX cards. As for Mir/Cormier, I haven't seen enough Cormier to know either way but I look forward to the fight. I would also like to see Mir/Bigfoot at some point. I think that's another intriguing match-up.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Dan Hardy is injured and out of his bout with Matt Brown. Jordan Mein has stepped in to replace him.

Brown had a winnable fight in front of him before, but I'm not sure he can beat Mein.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Francisco Rivera is out of his fight with Hugo Viana, TJ Dillashaw has stepped in to replace him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How good is this card?! Top to bottom I think it may be my favourite this year, lots of important fights all night.

Henderson vs. Melendez is an awesome, awesome fight. I think Benson looking so good last time out and Gilbert looking so average may have soured peoples opinions on this regarding it being a competitive fight, but make no mistake it this is a fight to watch. Melendez is still a man with TWENTY ONE wins without any unavenged defeats. For lack of better term, he has beaten any man he has ever faced. He's coming to win. He's well rounded and aggressive. Frankie Edgar gave Henderson a good fight twice. Melendez isn't as quick but is much better against Henderson's strengths (wrestling, pace, conditioning, kicks) than Nate Diaz was. However, Henderson has been far more active so we know where he'll be on the 20th, whereas Melendez may have improved massively or regressed over that time. I like Henderson by decision, comfortably but with enough close rounds to leave question marks with some.

Cormier vs. Mir. Mir vs. Wrestler with hard hands. My smile is massive. Boy is gonna get his arse handed to him. Cormier by rag doll and ground and pound, with Mir, despite being an intelligent guy outside the cage, showing major fight IQ flaws by pursuing a sub on the bottom while getting smashed and broken. TKO round 1. Good lad. Cormier is really good by virtue of not being the usual lumbering heavyweight.

Nasty Nate vs. Josh Thomson. I don't know here. 2 really inconsistent fighters, hard to read how this will go. Thomson could put him on his back constantly, Diaz could take him apart on the feet.Thomson is underrated anyway. I will go for the slight upset and go for him, Diaz can be outgrappled and Thomson has the chops to do so.

Matty Brown vs. Jordan Mein is a NASTY fight. Both come to scrap, always looking for a finishing shot or sub. I think Mein is coming in to his own and will be the first to stop Brown on strikes, late in round 2.

Mendes vs. Elkins is a beast of a fight for prelims. Mendes is consesus #2, Elkins has the most featherweight UFC wins. Something's gotta give. I like Mendes to take it with his takedowns but you never know, Elkins is a scrapper. Good fight.

Parke vs. Tuck. Parke won the TUF Smashes which wasn't the greatest of talent rosters ever assembled. Jon Tuck is undefeated, good jiujitsu, knockout power. So decent enough prospects with winning UFC records. I like Parke to win because he is British and for all the micky taking we gave Tuck for getting on the Macau poster, he SURELY can't turn out great!

Carmont vs. Larkin. GREAT stand up fight. I like Larkin to win, the wheels came off the Carmont train against Lawlor and I think he'll get out-pointed by Lorenz. Larkin is a good fight for anybody at middleweight if it stays on the feet.

Nijem vs. Jury is another well-matched prospects fight at lightweight. Nijem is on a good win streak against shithouse fighters, Jury is unproven apart from that Johnson performance where he looked good. Jury will win because he's looked better from the stuff I've seen, and MJ is better than the guys Nijem has beaten.

Benavidez vs. Dazzling Darren. Dazzler has a couple of decent wins but Joe B is a bull and I'd expect him to win comfortably but probably still on points. They need to hire new flyweights now, the division has potential and I've enjoyed most of the fights.

Means vs. Masvidal is another well matched, relevant lightweight fight. Means has looked class in his 2 fights whereas Masvidal is a solid gatekeeper. He is a cunt though so I hope Means first TKO's the sauna then beats up on Jorge.

Dillashaw vs. Viana is a major prospect match at bantamweight. Winner should move way up the rankings. I like Dillashaw to win with his wrestling game but Viana hits like a truck so it wouldn't shock me to see him knock TJ out. Interesting fight.

Njokouani vs. Bowling isn't relevant. It is, however, a match-up between 2 exciting fighters who will likely have a damn good scrap. Bowling can hit, Big Tony has good accuracy, something's got to give! Tony by knockout.

Starks vs. Romero. Romero has great credentials but may be too old to get good at the whole game at 35. Starks has had a big lay off but I feel he'll win with a better gas tank. I hope Romero shows something spectacular though, he's the one more likely to make an impact if he can put it together.

Awesome night of fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parke vs. Tuck is off, as well as Al Iaquanta vs. Joe Proctor at UFC 159. These 13 fight cards aren't destined to happen! Sweden survived by the skin of its bollocks, any other fight other than the main-event there and they'd have pulled Mousasi off the card. Pretty glad it's these 2 fights though, Parke vs. Tuck was my least anticipated fight on the card.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This should be stickied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank Mir 1st round sub.

I don't like either guy enough to care but I always laugh when a hype train gets derailed so I am begging for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't really know how anyone can not like Daniel Cormier.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Same here. Lots of people take a stance solely to be contrary though so I didn't put too much thought into it. Of course anything can happen and Mir winning isn't impossible, but Cormier is the very rightful favorite going in. If you followed him in Strikeforce you understand why.

Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    so I didn't put too much thought into it.
    Well we certainly wouldn't want to overwork that big brain of yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many of those guys at AKA have been submitted in the last few years? They've got one of the best teams to neutralize the BJJ that is undoubtedly Mir's only asset to win this fight. He's always dangerous but I can't see it, Cormier being undersized or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who's everybody favouring when it comes to UFC vs. Strikeforce this weekend? We've got 8 on slate, with 6 debutants, a return after nearly a decade and Jordan Mein fighting on a five week turnaround. Cormier, Melendez, Romero, Larkin, Bowling and Masvidal debuting, will they suffer the dreaded "Octagon jitters"? Are they good enough to win regardless of nerves? I don't think any of the fights are sure things, you'd definitely fancy Henderson, Cormier and Mein but the other 5 UFC/Strikeforce bouts are tight on paper, many perhaps even money fights. At the moment the betting lines indicate that they'll split it 4-4 (Cormier, Masvidal, Mein and Romero favoured for Strikeforce, Henderson, Diaz, Njokouani and Carmont for UFC), but tight odds.

Personally, I see it down the middle but with differing results. I like Thomson to beat Diaz with his wrestling advantage, and see Starks beating Romero due to weight cut at that age and the lay off. I'm pretty comfortably favouring Njokouani too, but am pretty split on Carmont/Larkin and Means/Masvidal. Brilliant fights all round.

2013 is looking a damn sight better for Alpha Male than 2012. At one point early last year they were 4 fights away from a lighter weight clean sweep, with Mendes lined up to face Aldo, Faber signed to fight Cruz and Benavidez favoured to win the flyweight tournament. They're getting back up there, and Dillashaw's looking promising as well. I expect Benavidez, Mendes and Dillashaw to all do the business on Saturday to follow up on Faber's win last week. Very active team as well, all 4 mentioned fitting 2 fights in within a 3 month period starting at 156.

النهاية قادمة ..
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Larkin's style (reminds me a lot of a young Carter Williams) but Carmont is a huuge MW and I fully expect him to GSP Larkin for three rounds straight. If The Monsoon can tag him hard early on though..

Would have to look closer at Romero/Means/Starks before giving any predictions though.. My mind is drawing a blank concerning them right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Carmont has gotten overhyped due to his Tristar association, I don't think he's that good. Very solid defensively so I don't see him getting blitzed out there, but he can be tentative and Larkin can get points on the board.

النهاية قادمة ..
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    I think Carmont has gotten overhyped due to his Tristar association, I don't think he's that good. Very solid defensively so I don't see him getting blitzed out there, but he can be tentative and Larkin can get points on the board.
    Didn't say he was that good, said he was huuge.. As in I'm expecting him to be able to hold Larkin down for most of the match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larkin's a pretty good athlete in his own right and was at 205 quite successfully for a while, so he shouldn't be bullied about. And his name is LORENZ. Surely a hard man's name.

النهاية قادمة ..
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he's technically undefeated at 205. Carmont certainly is No Mo when it comes to taking people down either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Don't really know how anyone can not like Daniel Cormier.
    I don't really know why it would matter either way, besides nobody said they didn't like him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank Mir 1st round sub.

I don't like either guy enough to care but I always laugh when a hype train gets derailed so I am begging for this.
    I don't really know why it would matter either way, besides nobody said they didn't like him.
    You dont like him enough to care and are begging for his hype to be derailed by him suffering a 1st round sub?

Excuse me for reading between fairly wide lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nate Diaz barely made weight and is already talking about going back to welterweight. Throw in his team being focused around his brother and Gilbert Melendez the last couple of months and you've got the recipe for a slight upset. Thomson is no slouch, he's had one bad loss (to Kawajiri, who is no slouch) in nearly 10 years and on any given day can beat anybody outside of the elite. Nate's weight is perhaps the most awkward in the UFC, it's a hard cut to lightweight as he gets older but he gets controlled by all the grapplers at welterweight. If he makes the weight comfortably he's somebody to watch though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah I read about that. Nasty Nate can say goodbye to being a ranked fighter when he returns to 170.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Hammer's Predictions

Henderson vs Melendez
    I am not sold on Gilbert Melendez being an elite lightweight, whereas Benson has earned his number one spot. Per Bendo norm I expect this to be a fun 5-round scrap but I think Henderson is just too big and too good and will win a comfortable 50-45 or 49-46 UD.
    Benson "Smooth" Henderson by Unanimous Decision

Mir vs Cormier
    I fully expect a one-sided asswhooping.
    Daniel Cormier by first or second round Knockout.

Diaz vs Thomson
    This is the hardest fight for me to call. Nate, while inconsistent, can never be counted out. If the Diaz that embarrassed Cerrone shows up I think he's got this, but Thomson is legit and in my eyes is coming off a win over Gilbert Melendez. I won't be surprised by either outcome but I do expect it to go the 3-round distance. I'll say split decision just to reflect how 50/50 I see this fight.
    "Nasty" Nate Diaz by Split Decision

Brown vs Mein
    Matt Brown is a gritty bastard on a nice little run but Mein is of the new breed (35 pro fights at only 23 years of age!) and he was very impressive in finishing the never-before-finished Dan Miller, a guy who I see right around Brown's level if not a little above it. After picking Brown apart for a while I see Mein taking home a submission win.
    Jordan "Young Gun" Mein by second or third round Submission
    Last edited by Mark Hammer; April 20th, 2013 at 8:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will most likely be a comfortable 49-46 win for Benson, with Melendez getting his arm raised.

Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen to what you're saying, Vice. Gil is Mexican-American, do you really think he can afford to buyoff the judges?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice View Post
    It will most likely be a comfortable 49-46 win for Benson, with Melendez getting his arm raised.
    Normally I'm not a superstitious person but are proven at calling Melendez via shoddy decision. So it is very possible.

النهاية قادمة ..
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah shit, I expected the Bowling/Njokuoani (sp?) fight to be on FB.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Two gift decisions in a row for Carmont. I had Larkin winning all three rounds of that fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was! Francis Carmont with robbery of the year there, won a fight by not fighting. Brilliant.

Chad Mendes has developed into an absolute machine. Featherweight is such a brilliant division all of a sudden, Aldo, Pettis, Mendes, the 6 lads fighting on 162, Guida, McKenzie. Great stuff.
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; April 20th, 2013 at 7:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck Man I love me the Immortal!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing makes me happier than seeing a Diaz get the shit beat out of him.

This face runs the place
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thomson used the beat Diaz strategy of circling and then watching Diaz self destruct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heavyweights suck so bad. Cormier can forget about any immediate big fights after that shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worse than some of the big light heavyweight fights recently.

This face runs the place
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henderson looks slow....something just looks off about him tonight. Gil is on his game though so that probably has a bit to do with it.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no idea who won this fight

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Close fight but I agreed with the decision. I had it 48-47 Benson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Melendez was sooooo close to getting that victory. Though he really shocked me with how good his performance was. I think Bendo won it, but had Gilbert walked away with it, I don't think I would have called it a robbery. Great performance by Gil.

Cormier's fight was fucking dreadful.

Nate getting killed was amazing.

Brown vs. Mein was awesome.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benson/Melendez was kind of slow. Mir/Cormier was terrible. Diaz getting his head kicked in was amazing! Brown looked good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Only saw the last 3 scraps. Mir/Cormier was shite. As much as I love the diaz bros that was an incredible finish. So impressed with Melendez, top top fighter. 2/3 ain't bad.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by hithit View Post
    Benson/Melendez was kind of slow. Mir/Cormier was terrible. Diaz getting his head kicked in was amazing! Brown looked good.
    I agree that the main event was slower than expected. Both fighters seemed to respect each other more than they usually respect their opponent, leading to the general feeling of stalemate outside of a few minor exchanges here and there.

And Mir/Cormier was some boring garbage. Shame on me for expecting a highlight reel knockout. Cormier's stock just went down if anything. Everybody expected him to destroy Mir but instead he dry rapes him against the fence for 15 minutes. And why did Mir keep reaching for the clinch later in the fight? Was he that exhausted?
    Last edited by Mark Hammer; April 21st, 2013 at 8:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mir ate a few decent body shots and some uppercuts in the first round, the cage humping that happened afterwards was fully expected because Frank is known to wilt if he can't dictate the pace and having a little black cannonball clinch you up against the cage for that long destroys morale. Not a good fight but at least it shows Cormier isn't all that and a bag of chips. I think Jon Jones would show him up like he did Rashad if he ever dropped down.

Oh and Mik I see you quoted my posts that prove I don't dislike Daniel Cormier and that I genuinely just enjoy seeing hype trains derailed. Cheers but you should have admitted your guilt afterwards.

Funnily enough this victory probably derails his hype train significantly more than a submission loss would have. Cormier wishes he was Randy Couture obviously.

This face runs the place
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Cormier respected the hell out of Mir's ground game and wanted no part of it. It wasn't pleasing to the crowd but it got the job done. I dont think this really derails him since he has stated he wont fight Cain as long as he is champ. There is still a good amount of match up's for him at HW to work with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hithit View Post

It wasnt slow at all. I didnt think.

I gave Melendez the first round, Henderson the next three and then thought Melendez shaded the last. I think the reason why people thought it was a Melendez victory was because he was going in more aggressively and people were missing the fact that he wasnt actually landing while doing this, whereas Henderson was.

The problem with Mir vs Cormier is that Cormier respected Mir's ground game too much (frankly you dont see many BJJ specialists doing anything against top level fighters off their back at all, let alone in the HW division, so I dont think that he should've been so reluctant). So as a result he was wanting to fight a close game right in Mir's face where Mir was the least dangerous. The big issue was that Mir was allowing him to do that. Landing a couple of body shots at distance and causing a big of discomfort (if not trouble) for Cormier and then immediately rushing in close and allowing Cormier to simply turn him around on the cage back into his comfort zone. Cormier must've thought that this is as easy as it gets, anytime Mir got into any kind of ascendancy he went straight back to Cormier's most comfortable position, up close, clinch, turn around, push against the case. Easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think aside from the heavyweight fight, that card will be hard to top all year. What a fantastic event.

Started off with a match with little hype between guys with long lay offs, and Romero looked class. Athletic, takes risks striking and world class wrestling. I don't think he has the cardio to really push the top guys but with that power and the wrestling equalizer he can be trouble for anybody. Starks is an average fighter but he put it on him completely.

Big Tone getting the great counter punch knockout. Again, Bowling is kind of average whereas Njokuani at least clearly specializes in striking, so if he can keep a distance and on the feet he's a match up for anybody. Bowling doesn't have overwhelming wrestling so was a good match-up for Tone's style. He has some solid wins on his record to be fair and didn't look bad in any of his UFC losses really. I like him.

Dillashaw looked too cocky but managed to get it done. You can see a guy with refined striking going straight down the middle and wiping him out. However, it's these areas of inexperience that make his fights exciting as he does at times look vulnerable. Offensively he may be one of the top fighters in the division, very athletic which helps with his kicks and takedowns. Viana was fighting up a level and it showed.

Masvidal vs. Means was a great fight I thought, really good battle everywhere it went. I thought Masvidal shaded the first 2 rounds but Means certainly did himself no harm in defeat, both men will fall in the Sam Stout mold of win 2, lose 1 exciting fights I feel, but that's an essential to every card.

Benavidez is a little tank. It wasn't the perfect performances because Dazzling Darren's inadequacies on the feet made a lot of Joe's striking a bit too loose, but he steamrolled him. Absolute domination. I still think he can beat Mighty Mouse, who can be hurt when caught (which admittedly is THE task). I'd give him another fight before the title shot though since Moraga is next, and I have no problem if it's another scrub like Phil Harris or whatever. The division needs stars right now, not competitive fights.

Jury vs. Nijem was a good ground battle before Jury absolutely starched him. He's a talented boy all round, probably not athletic enough for the big boys but he may grow still, he's a while away from his prime still. Looking forward to seeing him develop.

Carmont is 5-0 in the UFC. Fuck knows how. Larkin controlled the stand up and displayed great takedown defence, he was robbed.

Chad Mendes. 3 minutes 34 seconds to demolish 3 men. Man is on a roll. Elkins is good and he just got flattened, scary that he's not even needing his wrestling which is world class and would give even Aldo issues again (remember the fence grab?) in a rematch. I expect him to be champion by the end of next year.

Mein vs. Brown holy shit what a fight. 2 guys just scrapping until one man broke. Brown is a hard bastard. Mein will come back and he's got the look of a good fighter but Brown's resilience and pressure were too much for the young man.

Josh Thomson WOW. I thought he'd win but never thought he'd take Nate Diaz out like that. Way to introduce yourself back into the top 10! Great finish. He matches up well with everybody with his speed and well rounded game, keep him away from the treatment room and he could make a run at the belt I feel.

Cormier won.

Henderson vs. Melendez was a scrap. Lots of tension, close five rounds. Gave it to Henderson but would have liked Melendez to get his hand raised after a profile boosting loss. I think Gray Maynard beats TJ Grant and finally takes the belt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is one of the reasons why I like Daniel Cormier. Say what you want about whether the fight was boring, but he comes out afterwards and talks sense and says a lot of things that a lot of other fighters wouldnt admit to. Like being nervous, getting tired as a result of an adrenaline dump, admitting that he neglected his wrestling because he was worried about Mir's BJJ, knowing that he cant do that in future and instead needs to improve on his BJJ and admitting that he wouldnt give himself a title shot in HW or LHW if he was them, and that the boos hurt him...which you can see in the fight made him pull back away and try to take the centre of the ring again.

Lets not forget...this wasnt a loss or a close split decision against a journey man, this was a fairly clear and dominant 27-30 unanimous whitewash against a two time former champion, a dangerous ground practitioner and a perennial top 5 heavyweight gatekeeper who outreached and outweighed him and who has a wealth more octagon and MMA experience. Who looked in unusually good shape and who had by all accounts benefitted from one of the best training camps of his career.

I think the problem was that Mir has been knocked out badly a few times and people expected the same again, instead they saw a very safety first dominant win by a very nervous fighter who fought a very cautious technical fight.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/4/21...over-ufc-debut

Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, as I told Vice last night, I think Frank's cardio was noticeably much improved as even in the third round he was still going pretty strong.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mir was utterly exhausted by the end of the first round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I dont think that his conditioning was any better, but his defence seemed to be, which is what usually allows him to get knocked out. He takes hits and just stands there and takes them without any thought of covering up...then gets knocked out.
    Last edited by Mik; April 21st, 2013 at 4:21 PM.

Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regard to his conditioning, one thing I noticed is that he threw multiple kicks, even if they weren't close to landing, especially in that second round. Generally if someone is dog-tired they don't throw kicks as they use up a lot more energy than punches, especially at heavyweight. I certainly don't think he's a fitness machine like Cain or anything like that and perhaps his obviously defensive minded game plan along with Cormier's so-so performance sheltered his exhaustion but he didn't overtly succumb to pressure as I expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...the judge who gave the fight to Melendez is an affiliate and former student of Cesar Gracie who is friends with Nate and Gilbert on Facebook and who has the Diaz brothers listed as his favourite fighters.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That judge also gave Melendez round 4, which was the most decisive round Bendo had.

Sketchy shit indeed, why was he even allowed to judge this fight? The result should be changed from a SD to a UD, imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What difference would that make? A win is a win.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Many sport fans appreciate stats. And a UD win looks better than a SD win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Gilbert will be hyped up as a guy who defeated the champ in the eyes of one judge. If the judge was Gilbert's friend, that's kind of bullshit.

Definitely should not be judging. Has he judged other Gilbert fights?

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wouldn't be surprised if he judged his last one too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    And a UD win looks better than a SD win.
    Wholeheartedly agreed.

Signed,

the MMA, er boxing fans that think that GSP is a boring over-rated fighter because he doesn't knock out/submit every single one of his opponents

Rush
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disclaimer: Tyson's method of signing an imaginary letter to make a point is stupid and his views do not necessarily reflect those shared by most other GSP fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the addition of the poll, smart move.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I like the addition of the poll, smart move.
    I'm impressed by our MMA fan community making the right call too. Sherdog has the result split almost 50/50, with just a fraction more people voting for Benson. Which I don't understand, though the fight was close Henderson was the clear winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Despite most comments I've read, every place I've seen a poll has a convincing win for Benson.