Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Group chat discussing top ten albums has led me to Natalie Imbruglia - Left of the Middle.

In the office alone today, so that's where we are.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Faithless - Insomnia

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melly View Post
    Fiona Apple "Fetch The Bolt Cutters" album
    My best friend's sister had us listen to most of it. I said "This sounds like she is recording it in her kitchen" and then you hear dogs barking. It was pretty slick!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pushing 40 and I think unless you're seriously into music by the time you hit 35 you reach that group where you can start truly using the "My generation was better" argument. While also reaching a level to be competitive against older generations in a generational debate. Post Malone is one of those younger cats I can dig and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact I know a little of his musical tastes that are similar to my own. And we're damn near 20 years apart. I saw him cover All Apologies on YouTube about a year ago and that's not really a go-to Nirvana cover so that right there made me pay attention to his catalog. I'm not a big big fan, but I dig his stuff here and there.

But this....Oh man, this took me back to 8th grade up until 11th-12th playing Nirvana with my best friend in the basement. Travis Barker was on fucking point, sounded like Grohl and Channing. The set list was very diverse, no Teen Spirit so that's a plus and they kicked it off with Frances Farmer off In Utero, probably my favorite Nirvana song ever.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I'm pushing 40 and I think unless you're seriously into music by the time you hit 35 you reach that group where you can start truly using the "My generation was better" argument. While also reaching a level to be competitive against older generations in a generational debate. Post Malone is one of those younger cats I can dig and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact I know a little of his musical tastes that are similar to my own. And we're damn near 20 years apart. I saw him cover All Apologies on YouTube about a year ago and that's not really a go-to Nirvana cover so that right there made me pay attention to his catalog. I'm not a big big fan, but I dig his stuff here and there.

But this....Oh man, this took me back to 8th grade up until 11th-12th playing Nirvana with my best friend in the basement. Travis Barker was on fucking point, sounded like Grohl and Channing. The set list was very diverse, no Teen Spirit so that's a plus and they kicked it off with Frances Farmer off In Utero, probably my favorite Nirvana song ever.

Crazy thing is this dude wasn't even alive when Kurt Cobain was alive. Suppose it'd be like me and John Lennon, born shortly after he died.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Crazy thing is this dude wasn't even alive when Kurt Cobain was alive. Suppose it'd be like me and John Lennon, born shortly after he died.
    Nirvana was just one of those select bands that for whatever reason took the world by storm and in a crazy short amount of time made a huge impact on current and future generations. Now we're approaching that age where the bands that were "new" when were teens are the classic rock bands that are influencing kids. The same way I guess bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, etc. were still influencing people my age. Shit those artists still influence all generations to this day.

But I don't remember anyone pulling off something like this. And doing it well, from a place that people didn't expect. 3-4 years ago if you told me this would happen with Post Malone I would have thought "Yeah and I bet it fucking sucked and had zero live instruments". Now that I know better and know this young man's history and seeing other performances, I'm not as shocked.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a bit surreal to see bands like Green Day, Stone Temple Pilots, and Pearl Jam being played on classic rock stations. Man I remember when Dookie came out. Fucking old lol.

It is good seeing young artists paying homage to artist before them. You just know there are a lot of pop stars out there would be like "Who is Nirvana?" Growing up I tended to listen to everything, my CD collection had all genres. While I enjoyed rock the most, I still felt it was important to know of artists from all walks of life. Wish I kept that mentallity today because I turn on the radio and say "What is this shit?" lol

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, it's strange hearing 311 on the classic rock station.

Sunshine are you outside?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's weird to hear bands we grew up on in the 90's on classic rock because it felt like it took FOREVER for them to get to the 90's. I swear up until about 10 years ago, maybe less, I never heard anything newer than hair metal bands. If they had some shit in the early 90's, like I know I've heard Ozzy and Metallica so not necessarily ALL hair metal. But I remember it wasn't that long ago I finally heard Pearl Jam and Nirvana.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It is good seeing young artists paying homage to artist before them. You just know there are a lot of pop stars out there would be like "Who is Nirvana?"
    It still blows my mind how well John Mayer fits in with the other guys in Dead & Company.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just discovered Orville Peck aka my new favorite thing...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Banned
    Smoking Meth and cuddling with an Armenian Gender Queer on a broken couch inside of an abandoned abortion clinic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iraq
    That Post Malone Nirvana "tribute" is pure shit.

I know all of these modern day hip-hop "artists" with their dumb ironic stage names have to recycle songs in order to maintain any modicum of significance, (much like with their names) but I guess generation reboot digs it.

Must suck growing up a Millennial.

I know that every generation tends to borrow from previous ones, but today's entertainment is for lazy, Unoriginal dullards.

I honestly feel blessed to have been spoiled with such incredible music/movies, etc. growing up.

Especially with the 90's Alternative music scene.

I fucking loved watching "Alternative Nation" on MTV late at night...

Usually preceded by Beavis and Butthead, followed by "Liquid Television."

What a time to be a young, sexually confused gender queer with strong opinions on racism and women's rights!!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slutty McWhoreface View Post
    That Post Malone Nirvana "tribute" is pure shit.

I know all of these modern day hip-hop "artists" with their dumb ironic stage names have to recycle songs in order to maintain any modicum of significance, (much like with their names) but I guess generation reboot digs it.

Must suck growing up a Millennial.

I know that every generation tends to borrow from previous ones, but today's entertainment is for lazy, Unoriginal dullards.

I honestly feel blessed to have been spoiled with such incredible music/movies, etc. growing up.

Especially with the 90's Alternative music scene.

I fucking loved watching "Alternative Nation" on MTV late at night...

Usually preceded by Beavis and Butthead, followed by "Liquid Television."

What a time to be a young, sexually confused gender queer with strong opinions on racism and women's rights!!
    I grew up on all that shit. I'm 38, I think we actually fall somehwere in that Millennial category.

Nobody that's "new" is doing anything remotely close to what Post Malone and Travis Barker did. I'm no fan of Blink 182 or Post Malone aside from a song or 2 but watching that took me back to jamming with my best friend in middle school and high school to all those Nirvana joints.

Liquid Television was the shit. Aeon Flux, Beavis and Butthead, Dogboy or whatever the fuck his name was on that show.

But going back to Post Malone. $100 says you didn't watch it for one because your take on it is so far off lol. This wasn't some new project or anything this was some shit they did to kill some insanity. I mean, you do realize cover/tribute bands aren't something that just started when you became old enough to bitch about how much better our generation is than the next lol....

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Billy Strings is a beast. Bluegrass without a fiddle is kinda strange though.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Start yer day off good.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I love that song. Ron Sexsmith did a live cover that I've been listening to
    What is she playing? An 8 string guitar? Looks like a big fat mandolin

I haven't read it in years, but Bobster wrote in his book about how he didn't feel sure about the "breaking down the distance between right and wrong" line because it should be "right or wrong" or sometimes "right from wrong". He wrote an entire chapter on the making of the Oh Mercy album. It's a great read.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, she is playing 8 string. She also plays mandolin. All 3 woman are multi-instrumentalists. Rich Dworsky sets it off with his amazing organ playing too. They all have amazing voices. At this point I think of them when I hear anybody else perform Ring Them Bells. I'm not big on Bob anyway. I can understand the dude just fine. I just ain't into that style of folk music. I'm a bluegrass guy. I'll take these respectable Christian women over sluts like Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift any day.
    Last edited by DVDA; July 3rd, 2020 at 1:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm the opposite. I respect the hell outta bluegrass but I'll never dig it as much as a couple of Ralph Stanley solo albums I had (the Bob Neuwirth produced ones). On the other hand, I just woke up and realized I'm a Dylanologist; I'm even into the outtake collections and bootlegs. And I leave the nice girls alone. Miley I have to let down easy, but I been fuckin Taylor Swift for years. She is a ho-bag...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Dr. Ralph will be dead 4 years tomorrow. I got the chance to meet him on August 14th, 2015 at a meet & greet before the show started. It was him, his grandson Nathan, and Clinch Mountain Boys. I've had people tell me that ICP sucks since I was in middle school. I might legit hurt somebody for talkin bad about Dr. Ralph in front of me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This man meant, and still dees mean so much to me and my mom. I feel like he was part of my family. I cried when he left Earth and went to Heaven. I was blessed enough to meet him and his grandson and band. I'm crying right now. A bluegrass concert or festival is unlike anything you've ever been to. I talk to his brother Carter's daughter Jeanie on Facebook once in a while and that's cool. I would have loved to see hem perform together with Carter. Dr. Ralph was a true legend.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Giving a long-deserved spin to Jim Lauderdale's bluegrass records with Ralph Stanley and the CMB.

There's a few JL records I haven't heard but I'd have to say his first one with Dr. Stanley is his first truly great record. He's such a wise guy he ought to write more gospel songs. I didn't know he had any before today.