User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Saturday Night Live

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Having Larry David as Sanders say, "Vote for me... as Hillary's Vice President" was definitely a ringing endorsement for Bernie. You're right. I think it might be a case of me not understanding SNL's brand of nuanced satire.
    Their job is not to enforse anyone, it's to be funny. Are you remotely familiar with the show or comedy in general?

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    The music acts are almost always dog shit.
    Which is why I rarely tune in these days lol. The music acts, the hosts, the cast, it's very touch and go but again the music acts tend to be what I'm more interested in. I love watching artists/bands perform live it's awesome.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Only thing I remember from SNL in the past 15 years is Jimmy Fallon laughing in every skit.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Only thing I remember from SNL in the past 15 years is Jimmy Fallon laughing in every skit.
    I was watching an anniversary special type show on VH1 that was made a few years back and a lot of the cast talked about how pissed off Lorne Michaels would get when they'd break character but that it was at times almost impossible not to. And in a way it made those segments more memorable and even funnier, more real.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I was watching an anniversary special type show on VH1 that was made a few years back and a lot of the cast talked about how pissed off Lorne Michaels would get when they'd break character but that it was at times almost impossible not to. And in a way it made those segments more memorable and even funnier, more real.
    One skit in particular that I remember is when Will Ferrell was hosting and he had a beard in a hot tub somewhere. Every person in that skit laughed at one point, even Will Ferrell.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Their job is not to enforse anyone, it's to be funny. Are you remotely familiar with the show or comedy in general?
    I'm actually very familiar with the show. Live From New York is one of my favorite books. SNL plays favorites; they always have to some extent. I don't think that's a shocking revelation. The favoritism has probably gotten worse since Jim Downey left.

Award Winning Radishes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    One skit in particular that I remember is when Will Ferrell was hosting and he had a beard in a hot tub somewhere. Every person in that skit laughed at one point, even Will Ferrell.

Fallon was pretty prone to corpsing, sometimes it just makes it funnier. The one below gets out of hand with Horatio Sanz reduced to tears, but it's pretty funny.

Fred Armisen and Bill Hader also had a tough time keeping their shit together in almost everything they did.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry David returned as Bernie Sanders tonight for the cold open and it was hilarious. Honestly I think this is like Tina Fey-returning-as-Sarah Palin level funny. Larry David is the best and it's amazing that he's recurring as Bernie. I hope he keeps doing it for the whole election cycle.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I love Larry David. I do think Trump on SNL is going to open a Pandora's box of people who to guest host now. Sanders says he wants on, Hillary has been on for a skit this season and I am sure there is on bright GOP campaign strategist who is going to try to get their guy on in February. I have no desire to see Carson, Rubio, Bush or Huckabee on this show. Yet, because of election laws, they almost have to be.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahaha this episode is great so far (up to the Drake video spoof)

Trump is an excellent host (you have to give him that) and doesn't open pandora's box at all, that's dumb. Trump hosted previously anyway, he's a celebrity before a politician. They always sometimes have real politicians on but only the big ones that are repeatedly spoofed in sketches first. Trump hosting changes nothing. But if you just wanna say when they have have real politicians on it's often lame, that's fair. Trump is great though, and Sanders appearing would probably be funny too. Hillary is completely boring and fake which is what they spoof her for anyway so her appearances are lame and I hope they keep her off.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahaha this episode is great so far (up to the Drake video spoof)

Trump is an excellent host (you have to give him that) and doesn't open pandora's box at all, that's dumb. Trump hosted previously anyway, he's a celebrity before a politician. They always sometimes have real politicians on but only the big ones that are repeatedly spoofed in sketches first. Trump hosting changes nothing. But if you just wanna say when they have have real politicians on it's often lame, that's fair. Trump is great though, and Sanders appearing would probably be funny too. Hillary is completely boring and fake which is what they spoof her for anyway so her appearances are lame and I hope they keep her off.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leslie is funny as hell as a person. And that right there is exactly where she thrives. In an unscripted sort of situation where she can just say random funny shit. But she isn't the best at the role SNL requires of a person. I think her and the show should go their separate ways.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I was like fuck some Larry David for a long time, but the dude won me over. Now I feel like I've missed out on tons of gold.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this was pretty good

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole episode was great last night. The Dead Poets Society sketch was fucking genius.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Leslie is funny as hell as a person. And that right there is exactly where she thrives. In an unscripted sort of situation where she can just say random funny shit. But she isn't the best at the role SNL requires of a person. I think her and the show should go their separate ways.
    What about that was funny? She might be a nice lady, but she's yet to make me crack a smile.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just her delivery I suppose. I can't say I'd laugh if Vanessa Bayer was doing the same shit.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting casting news: Taran Killam and Jay Pharoah both got the axe. Killam is the bigger surprise IMO, he was a central member the last few years. I like Pharoah but he never really did anything memorable outside of his impressions. I wonder who will play Obama now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Did they get the axe or are they just moving on?

I thought last season was pretty dire for the most part.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last season was salvaged by Larry David but yea it would seem Lorne agrees with you.

They got the axe, the show chose not to renew their contracts. I already read an interview with Killam where he says he's disappointed about it and I have to assume the same is true for Pharoah. Neither have had much success outside the show. Granted Pharoah does stand up and I'm sure Killam will get sitcom offers but it's gotta be a gutshot for both.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They were great cast members. I read Killam was directing a movie, and a few weeks would overlap with the show. I don't get it, because there are a lot of weeks without shows. I watched live for the first half of the last season, and they took two weeks off after the season premiere

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alec Baldwin will play Trump this year and the season premiere is tonight.

Margot Robbie is the host.
    Last edited by Fro; October 1st, 2016 at 7:58 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even when SNL is bad, I still enjoy it a lot.

Can't wait.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    SNL is still a thing? Really needs to be taken behind the barn and put down...

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what people said in the Farley/Sandler era too.

But I agree it's not a great cast and hasn't been since Hader/Sudeikis/Armisen/Forte/Wiig left. The thing that annoys me the most is I think Weekend Update has sucked since Seth Meyers left. Collin Jost is weak, Che is okay but also the joke writing for that segment hasn't been up to snuff.

Baldwin was okay as Trump. Nothing to write home about, not like when LD killed it as Bernie last season.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave Chappelle with A Tribe Called Quest this Saturday.

I think the current state of this show is pretty weak (aside from the low hanging fruit of the zaniest election in US history) but I'll be tuning in for this one. Chappelle has never hosted before and it'll essentially be his first return to sketch comedy after Chappelle's Show.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave Chappelle with A Tribe Called Quest this Saturday.

I think the current state of this show is pretty weak (aside from the low hanging fruit of the zaniest election in US history) but I'll be tuning in for this one. Chappelle has never hosted before and it'll essentially be his first return to sketch comedy after Chappelle's Show.
    I hope I don't forget to check this out as I'll be making an attempt to watch UFC 205. Chappelle is amazing and it's fitting Tribe is the musical guest because Q-Tip was on quite a few episodes in sketches and they performed a couple times on the show as well. RIP Phife!

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're confusing Q-Tip with Mos Def

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're confusing Q-Tip with Mos Def
    I'll have to do a little research but I do know Q-Tip was on Chappelle show in a Sesame Street type segment where they were teaching kids about drugs and STD's.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to do a little research but I do know Q-Tip was on Chappelle show in a Sesame Street type segment where they were teaching kids about drugs and STD's.
    Oh yea good call, forgot about that one. I still don't think he ever performed but could be wrong.

Either way, I don't think there's an SNL host who would have me more interested than Chappelle.

On the topic of Tribe... I'm a little skeptical of them releasing this new album and touring without Phife. I'm sure they honor him well on it and probably have some unreleased verses but it's really not Tribe without Phife.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit late on this but I thought this was such a wonderful and tasteful cold opening. Kate McKinnon freaking nailed it. She's had a very strong SNL career but I think this'll be at the top of her "best of" episode. Very memorable moment for the show.

Chappelle's monologue was good too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so pissed I missed a lot of this episode because I was drunk or high, can't remember, and I turned the channel after Chappelle's monologue after it went to commercial and forgot about the show. But I did catch that Negan/Walking Dead spoof with all the characters from his show, and of course they had to have the best one of them all-Clayton fuckin' Bigsby. They even had the "white" newscaster that he does.

Seriously....I honestly don't know if there is anyone I find funnier than Dave Chappelle. He is IMO the greatest of all time. And that's saying a lot considering such icons as Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Dice Clay, Martin Lawrence, etc. You know else I thought was a killer on the stage, John Leguizamo. His "Spic-O-Rama" stand up from like 1990-1991 on HBO, motherfucker KILLED it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously....I honestly don't know if there is anyone I find funnier than Dave Chappelle. He is IMO the greatest of all time. And that's saying a lot considering such icons as Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Dice Clay, Martin Lawrence, etc. You know else I thought was a killer on the stage, John Leguizamo. His "Spic-O-Rama" stand up from like 1990-1991 on HBO, motherfucker KILLED it.
    It's hard for me to disagree about Chappelle. He cracks me up probably more than any other comedian has. It's something in his tone and demeanor, or that shitty little grin he does when he knows he said something hilariously fucked. He's always a favorite role of mine in the movies he's done, and on top of that, he's incredibly intelligent. Has anyone seen his interview on Inside the Actors' Studio? It's a good watch.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    It's hard for me to disagree about Chappelle. He cracks me up probably more than any other comedian has. It's something in his tone and demeanor, or that shitty little grin he does when he knows he said something hilariously fucked. He's always a favorite role of mine in the movies he's done, and on top of that, he's incredibly intelligent. Has anyone seen his interview on Inside the Actors' Studio? It's a good watch.
    Yes! It was brilliant.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was really funny. I know a lot of people on this forum take the hard stance that Melissa McCarthy is the least funny person ever becaues they don't like the movies she's in and they can't mentally differentiate between not liking a script and not liking the female star but maybe this will help.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This whole episode was fantastic, top to bottom. McCarthy is a slam dunk as Spicer.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Glorious.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was really funny. I know a lot of people on this forum take the hard stance that Melissa McCarthy is the least funny person ever becaues they don't like the movies she's in and they can't mentally differentiate between not liking a script and not liking the female star but maybe this will help.
    This was tremendous. McCarthy is quite funny when they have the right thing for her.

I just didn't like Tammy. Sorry America.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I wish that was how Spicer actually behaved

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This was tremendous. McCarthy is quite funny when they have the right thing for her.

I just didn't like Tammy. Sorry America.
    Nobody liked Tammy...
    Her good movies were Spy and Bridesmaids...

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this season has been pretty poor and I haven't been watching much but this upcoming host lineup is very solid and I'll probably check out all 3.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May 12th looks terrible based on the host. But the other two should be killer.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAle View Post
    May 12th looks terrible based on the host. But the other two should be killer.
    I was wondering who would shit on Amy Schumer first based on my post. You won.

I think she's good though, even if you don't like her standup (I think it's decent), her sketch show was good which would translate well to being in / writing SNL skits. I know she hosted before and I forget if it was good.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering who would shit on Amy Schumer first based on my post. You won.

I think she's good though, even if you don't like her standup (I think it's decent), her sketch show was good which would translate well to being in / writing SNL skits. I know she hosted before and I forget if it was good.
    Haha well at least I won something today.

I just don’t find her funny. Not her stand up, not her sketch show, not her movies. Nothing against her personally, just think she’s not amusing in the slightest.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Well I haven't heard anything new about her pussy for a while. So ya know, something to look forward to.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I Feel Pretty looks amazing.

This season of SNL has been a turd though.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this was pretty funny

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SNL is not very good at the moment (I am so over Baldwin as Trump and Carey as Biden) but I did think this one bit was worth sharing. Funny stuff.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SNL is not very good at the moment (I am so over Baldwin as Trump and Carey as Biden) but I did think this one bit was worth sharing. Funny stuff.
    Yeah I don't get Carey's Biden. I mean yeah he's old. They're all old. Because Biden has a couple years on some of them the joke should be that he's father time?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I don't get Carey's Biden. I mean yeah he's old. They're all old. Because Biden has a couple years on some of them the joke should be that he's father time?
    There's no appeal to his Biden. There's no hook to it. Jason Sudeikis made Biden funny. Carey adds nothing so he relies on the material to be funny... and it's not.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no appeal to his Biden. There's no hook to it. Jason Sudeikis made Biden funny. Carey adds nothing so he relies on the material to be funny... and it's not.
    Totally agree. Sudeikis had the proper funny take on Biden. But how long could Jim really want to do this for? No way it's a deal like Baldwin where he does it for four years.

If not Sudeikis then I'd love to see someone else's take.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    carrey just being too much like carrey. it has been kinda lame

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    carrey brings this weird, manic energy to biden that i like in a parody for him, albeit for an obama admin era biden, where barack is the adult in the room and biden is this nutty wild card. 2020 biden doesn't match that energy, at all. i had literally zero memory of jason sudeikis being biden ever, and after watching clips on youtube, he fucking sucked. i've enjoyed carrey enough, though this past week was fucking cringe in so many ways.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i liked his jeff goldblum thing but that was about it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I watched a few clips cause it was chappelle. the biggest takeaway I have is pat smear must have the goods on dave Grohl to still have a job.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt Jim Carey expects to play Biden for 4 years. A good percentage of the country expects him to get inaugurated, then either die or resign/be deemed unfit, and pass the baton to Kamala. And as long as that possibility remains, I think Carey will be licking his chops to play senile sleepy Joe.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virmicious View Post
    I watched a few clips cause it was chappelle. the biggest takeaway I have is pat smear must have the goods on dave Grohl to still have a job.
    new song was catchy though.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol or the fact that Pat is one of his idols and plus they've been in a band together for over 25 years counting Nirvana. Pat is god.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I preferred Sudekis' Biden back in the day. Why not bring him back? They love having alums come back, especially with Maya Rudolph crushing it with Kamala Harris.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    lol or the fact that Pat is one of his idols and plus they've been in a band together for over 25 years counting Nirvana. Pat is god.
    odd. granted I dont follow Grohl that much but I have heard many interviews with him talking about influences and never heard smears name come up. I took a look at germs and it was fucking atrocious. pretentious punk at its finest. well not the whole band. just the lead singer.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    odd. granted I dont follow Grohl that much but I have heard many interviews with him talking about influences and never heard smears name come up. I took a look at germs and it was fucking atrocious. pretentious punk at its finest. well not the whole band. just the lead singer.
    So you don't follow Grohl that much but off the top you can recall many interviews and who he sighted as influences? That's fuckin dope.

Grohl was a super punk fan, he's praised Pat on multiple occasions and thinks highly of his status as a pioneer of punk rock in the LA scene. So naw, Pat doesn't have dirt on Dave Grohl they're just super tight, have been playing in bands together since 1993 but hey you don't follow Grohl that much so I don't expect you to know the history of people you speak on in an ignorant manner.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man I've heard stories that would make you hate him even more lol.

He would come over to people's houses and just point at shit and ask if he could have it. Not like food. Like tvs and shit.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    So you don't follow Grohl that much but off the top you can recall many interviews and who he sighted as influences? That's fuckin dope.

Grohl was a super punk fan, he's praised Pat on multiple occasions and thinks highly of his status as a pioneer of punk rock in the LA scene. So naw, Pat doesn't have dirt on Dave Grohl they're just super tight, have been playing in bands together since 1993 but hey you don't follow Grohl that much so I don't expect you to know the history of people you speak on in an ignorant manner.
    hes been on xm radio a few times recently. him and taylor discussed influences on one show while playing songs they loved by thier influences.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hes been on xm radio a few times recently. him and taylor discussed influences on one show while playing songs they loved by thier influences.
    Did they play any Black Flag?