User Tag List

View Poll Results: Next United manager?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ex Man United player

16 100.00%

Thread: JUST FOR FUNSIES: Who will be the next Manchester United manager?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JUST FOR FUNSIES: Who will be the next Manchester United manager?

Obviously every name under the sun has at some point been linked to this role. I've grouped things together, but from within that group who do you think will take over the role?
    Last edited by turdpower; February 17th, 2012 at 3:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to get left field (I think) and say someone like Paul Scholes will be groomed into the position.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I think it will be Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. I remember Ferguson saying a while back that he thought Solskjaer had it in him to be a very good manager and i think he impressed Fergie when he was coaching the youngsters/reserves (?) I think he won the title with Molde at the first attempt as well.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Paul lambert
    TAPS AFF!

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to be Jose Mourinho. I reckon he'll end up either there or at City.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we might be better off getting someone fairly average or unproven in. Whoever comes in next and doesn't win anything will probably be sacked after one or two years and then the next manager (proven, experienced) will be given a better chance.

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    I reckon Mourinho will be at City, probably this summer if he wants it. For basically having a money cheat turned on, I've not been impressed by City this season. Struggling to maintain any sort of lead in the shittest Premier League for years, Shit in Europe, out of the FA cup in the first round, and out of the Carling Cup as soon as the going got tough.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they need to get a big name manager - which probably means a foreigner. Anyone else will be in Ferguson's shadow too much. At least one of the papers yesterday mentioned Giggs to get the job with Ferguson moving upstairs. That just won't work. I understand why they'd want to keep Ferguson around for all that he's done for the Club but he'll completely overshadow whoever gets the job.

I know it's a completely different level but Dario Gradi was Crewe's manager for 24 years before stepping back and becoming Director of Football. As soon as results started to suffer there was pressure to put Gradi back in charge, which would happen for a year then he'd step back again and the whole thing would start over. If Ferguson is sticking around then they need a big personality to make his mark on the team.

Simon
    I would be stunned if it wasn't Mourinho, or Guardiola at a push, if it were to come up in the next year or so. None of the flavour-of-the-month touts over the years have turned out to be realistic shouts beyond Moyes who now seems to have lost support. Similarly all of the United old boys have fallen short - it's comical to think now that managers like Keane, Bruce, Robson, Ince, Hughes, McClaren, Kidd, Queiroz etc have been heavily linked in the past. If it were to be a United man then I think McClair would be a decent left-field shout, as he's been under Ferguson's tutelage since his retirement and knows the club inside-out (as well as not having fucked his chances with a high-profile failure elsewhere), Solskjaer did similar but he doesn't have quite the same long-term connection to the club - if he got a decent-sized English job and did well, then it's feasible he could take over if the timing was right, I guess.

Whoever gets it is almost certainly doomed to failure in terms of succeeding Ferguson, and the only managers I think are both confident enough to want it and capable enough to be offered it are Mourinho and Guardiola. It would be interesting to see Guardiola at another club, to see how much of what he has achieved at Barca was his work rather than the extraordinary group of players, and he is very wary of outstaying his 'natural life' there, hence the yearly one-year extensions rather than long-term contracts.

Mourinho has to be the favourite though. If you want someone that Ferguson will recommend (which is bound to play a part, even if he retires rather than moving upstairs), the fans would be happy with and the board would want - in the short-term at least - then he's the oustanding candidate. I think his respect for the club might make them the one team that he wouldn't attempt to mould in his own image, too. Chelsea, Inter and Madrid never really had histories that he was expected to adhere to, whereas at United I wonder if he might tone down the 'personality' to match the esteem he holds the club in.

This is part of the reason why I wouldn't be surprised if we got him in the summer. Comes back to the PL, does well for us over a period of a few years and fucks off to take the United job when Fergie goes. The only things that I can see scuppering his chances of getting the United job when Fergie retires are him having a couple of years with a relative lack of success (unlikely) or someone emerging to be seen as an outstanding young prospect as Villas-Boas was at Porto (as indeed was Mourinho). Perhaps Jurgen Klopp, the Dortmund manager.

Don't forget though, we were having this conversation ten years ago, and I bet not one of the candidates at that time would be relevant nowadays. Chances are in ten years time Ferguson will have outlasted all these young pretenders and we'll be discussing a load of new successors to his dynasty using brain sensors to transfer our opinions to a hive mind in China, which is now on mechanical legs.
    Last edited by Simon; February 20th, 2012 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duncan Edwards and the board wanted Sven apparently.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did Duncan Edwards give his opinion on the matter? Did they get Mystic Meg or that scouse gaylord from Most Haunted to ask him?

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scouse gaylord?! Hahahaha.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This week's board meeting at Old Trafford to see what Matt Busby reckons about next season's ticket prices.

AlphaBrennino
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not happy one bit.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I meant Martin Edwards

Simon
    In case anyone wasn't aware, there's a really enlightening and enjoyable interview with Alex Ferguson on the BBC iPlayer at the moment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...Alex_Ferguson/

Not sure Spoony was the best choice of interviewer but it has loads of interesting stuff - Ferguson turned down the chance to sign Joe Hart for £100k, United tried to sign Ferdinand when he was 17 but West Ham wanted Beckham in exchange etc. Ferguson comes across really well, clearly a humble family man at heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Murphy, sort of, wins the thread.