User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marvel Cinematic Universe films

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Marvel Cinematic Universe films

Only a couple of months to go until this hits cinemas. A new trailer was shown at the Super Bowl:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE09rUdpB94&feature=g-logo&context=G2dd0747FOAAAAAAACAA"]The Avengers - Extended Super Bowl Spot (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

It looks fantastic. The scale of the action at the end feels like it's right out of the comics. Seeing the characters bounce off each other should also be a lot of fun. I'm really pulling for this - it's years in the making for Marvel Studios, and it'll be a big feather in Joss Whedon's cap.

Give me the World Belt, dammit Zarius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, when I started this trailer I correctly predicted it would begin with someone saying "the world"

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    The extended trailer is all kinds of bad ass. I thought this was the best commercial of the night.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    "I have an army"

"We have a Hulk"

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God fucking damn. That movie is going to be awesome. I haven't anticipated a movie this much since TDK. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really really really really really hope it doesn't disappoint.

So much could go wrong with this movie, and it will take a miracle for it to be watchable, let alone good. Add on top of that my nerdy fan-boy expectations and it's a tall order for The Avengers.

But if anyone can do it, it's Whedon.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm giddy as a school boy.

Can Not Wait.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was curious to see how Whedon would do with the action scenes. So far, it looks good.

You can definitely see Whedon's influence on the dialogue. If he can do one thing, it's write some memorable lines.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope he puts Spike in it.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow great trailer, really want to see this.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    I hope he puts Spike in it.

I heard that there's a scene where Spike and Capt. America are searching for an amulet that gives the wearer some kind of destiny superpower.

Cap and Spike have a fight. Spike wins. But when he puts on the amulet he realizes its really just a chocolate candy that looks like an amulet.

Also, the fight scene has three cool lines, lots of flashbacks, and at least one speech about destiny.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
    I heard that there's a scene where Spike and Capt. America are searching for an amulet that gives the wearer some kind of destiny superpower.

Cap and Spike have a fight. Spike wins. But when he puts on the amulet he realizes its really just a chocolate candy that looks like an amulet.

Also, the fight scene has three cool lines, lots of flashbacks, and at least one speech about destiny.
    Sound oddly like the 2003 TV match of the year.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So stoked for this flick. Hell effin' yeah. Trailer looks great.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to see those flashbacks including how Spike and Cap either fought each other, fought together without knowing it or narrowly missed each other during World War II.

Does Cap's speech about destiny happen to include him mentioning the power flowing through his veins?

On a serious note this looks good. I'm still trying to keep from getting too excited. Cus Joss+Big Budget=scared me. At least with his run on Spiderman there is reason to believe he won't fuck with someone elses stuff much but damn. I'm also curious who the bad guys are gonna throw up against the Hulk or are they going to throw wave after wave of anything they can find at him and hope he exceeds his maximum kill limit? As far as I can tell (and correct me if I missed a bad guy) we're getting Loki, Red Skull, The Leader (or whomever the green guy with the big brain from the Hulk Comics is). Sure this Loki seems to be physically on par with Thor but really the bad guys have a lot of combined intelect but they're kinda lacking in raw stopping power.

Warning. Rabidly Arsenal. eldanielfire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Weadons work but his stuff when it goes epic tends to get al deux ex Machina. That was skinda fine for Buffy where the plots were background to the characterisation over a series, but it would make an end to The Avengers movie weak.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't usually feel he's bad with Deus ex machina. Sure it's come up to varying degrees at varying times through out his works. Like it was damn lucky that River figured out how to self trigger her bad ass mode pretty much exactly when she did. My problem is (and I do love the Buffy and Angel Comics) but literally the moment those stopped being shows that were heavily limited by pesky things like budgets and physics suddenly we have inside out boy working for the bad guys. Angel has a pet dragon, there's a talking tyrannosaurus and Ilyria's time skipping can literally change space around you so you start off fighting with a sword, then you end up on a pirate ship then suddenly you have light sabers. I'm BARELY exaggerating here and that's just what happens in the first volume of each comic.

While I'm sure they'll make it look good and threatening right now nothing from the trailers really has me thinking the Avengers are really in a bad place. Frankly right now they kinda feel a bit like overkill if not for the sheer numbers of the enemies. Does anybody know if that's the full team there or are we gonna get some of the others? Somehow Avengers-Antman just feels wrong. Even if all he does is some little side thing like Hawkeye did in Thor you can't not have him.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still dislike CA the most out of them all.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That shot of all the heroes back to back as the camera pans around them gave me chills.

I recommend staying away from everything but the official trailers if you want to go in cold. I was looking through reactions to the Super Bowl footage, and the toy lines and even shots from a now-cancelled video game tie-in are swarming with potential spoilers. Though there's an awful lot of wild speculation as well, regarding plot points and characters. I aim to go in to The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises knowing as little as possible, and just enjoy the ride.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Quote Originally Posted by doct1400 View Post
    I don't usually feel he's bad with Deus ex machina. Sure it's come up to varying degrees at varying times through out his works. Like it was damn lucky that River figured out how to self trigger her bad ass mode pretty much exactly when she did. My problem is (and I do love the Buffy and Angel Comics) but literally the moment those stopped being shows that were heavily limited by pesky things like budgets and physics suddenly we have inside out boy working for the bad guys. Angel has a pet dragon, there's a talking tyrannosaurus and Ilyria's time skipping can literally change space around you so you start off fighting with a sword, then you end up on a pirate ship then suddenly you have light sabers. I'm BARELY exaggerating here and that's just what happens in the first volume of each comic.

While I'm sure they'll make it look good and threatening right now nothing from the trailers really has me thinking the Avengers are really in a bad place. Frankly right now they kinda feel a bit like overkill if not for the sheer numbers of the enemies. Does anybody know if that's the full team there or are we gonna get some of the others? Somehow Avengers-Antman just feels wrong. Even if all he does is some little side thing like Hawkeye did in Thor you can't not have him.
    If you hate Buffy the show, the comic book will drove you nuts. I have never been more disappointed with a comic series than I have had with Buffy. I truly wish I could bitchslap Joss for that. I do think the strength of Joss doing this is you are going to see the relationships that define the group rather than a lot of small bang action til probably the end. I also hate Ant-man and Wasp, so glad they are gone.

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks boring and dumb. Iron Man 2 was pushing it, Captain America was good but now he's away from what made him interesting, Widow is hot but totally dull and Hulk has nowhere to go but a load of cg. Also I am not a Whedon fan so I'm in for a treat
    Last edited by The Rogerer; February 6th, 2012 at 7:48 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    If you hate Buffy the show, the comic book will drove you nuts. I have never been more disappointed with a comic series than I have had with Buffy. I truly wish I could bitchslap Joss for that. I do think the strength of Joss doing this is you are going to see the relationships that define the group rather than a lot of small bang action til probably the end. I also hate Ant-man and Wasp, so glad they are gone.
    Love the Buffy Show. Mixed feelings about the comic(s). I liked how the show was grounded. Sure there was a super powered girl and vampires and magic. But even at the end of the series there were very very few people who could use combat magic it was all rituals. Now it seems like the slayers at a disadvantage to your average witch not on better or at worse equal terms. I liked how big and strange demons were rare etc etc.

I hate Thor and I have to put up with the one hero who in comics bored me and in his own movie had me rooting for his brother to win even after finding out that Loki was a slightly bigger asshole than he'd really been shown as earlier in the film.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rogerer View Post
    This looks boring and dumb. Iron Man 2 was pushing it, Captain America was good but now he's away from what made him interesting, Widow is hot but totally dull and Hulk has nowhere to go but a load of cg. Also I am not a Whedon fan so I'm in for a treat
    I loved Whedon and I really liked Iron Man 2 (though naturally it was not as good as the first). Yet I also feel pretty cool on this movie. All the footage so far has looked like an anime highlight reel - characters jumping and posing and trying really, really hard to look cool. And some jerk has an army. I don't care. I really hope with Whedon taking the reins we'll actually have characters to worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno, I keep thinking it's too soon for an Avengers movie. Maybe if each hero had two films a peice (like with Iron Man) it would feel less rushed.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a casual fan of comic book characters, knowing them only through movies and TV shows, I look forward to this movie. Could it have waited a bit until they hashed out each character a bit more, sure I guess, but each character might also not hold enough interest for more than one movie solely based on them.

The trailer is interesting. I don’t mind a bunch of explosives. The backstory for many of the main characters will already be known to a good deal of the audience now so that should allow for a concentration on telling the story instead of filling the audience in on character history, which should be good. And The Hulk will smash things, which I enjoy a great deal.

I’ll almost definitely go and see this.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Is that...

PIMP.EXE

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was smiling through that whole thing. Step aside Dark Knight... this looks fantastic.

I'm Spinning Around! sam_elmendorf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh hell yeah! That's gonna be a f**king blast! Iron Man and Hulk are my favs.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Fantastic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy fucking shit.

Looks like Joss finally figured out how to direct big time action sequences.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm seeing this as soon as it comes out... and I haven't seen a movie in theatres since Dark of the Moon.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody hell, this will be phenomenal. Seeing superheroes team up in a big blockbuster was a dream of mine as a wee boy. It looks like they're really going to pull it off.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Tremendous.

I must admit that the sheer size of the cast makes me a little nervous that this will be able to pull off any sort of depth that goes beyond some amazing action scenes, however there should be enough of that to make this movie a lot of fun if nothing else.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

1960s Cartoon Version

*Except for Fury, who's from the 90s Iron Man cartoon

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do either of the two previous Hulk movies tie in with his film? Or is it just Iron Man, Thor and Captain America?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredible Hulk ties in.

Different actor playing Hulk, but it plays off of that story.

"The Hulk" is irrelevant though.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll take a run-through of all the Marvel films leading up to this, to get in the zone.

- Iron Man
    - The Incredible Hulk
    - Iron Man 2
    - Thor
    - Captain America

I read an interview with Kevin Feige, where there's already talk of Avengers 2 - with the seeds being planted in Iron Man 3 which is out in May 2013.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought that the upside of bringing Joss Whendon into this is that he understands how to balance multiple characters/ensembles. Even in his comic writing , that tendency was displayed. Looks like they're going to nail the action scenes as well.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still need to see Iron Man 2 and Thor, not really fussed on Thor to be honest.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Thor is brilliant. I thought it was going to be proper shit but loved it. I would say apart for iron man 1 Thor is my favourite of the related films in this series.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Thor. But I went into it knowing its all about building something for The Avengers movie. I guess its ok in its own right, but as a character and knowing he's a part of a bigger movie, I really liked it.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thor was better than expected. Thought it was a fun movie.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thor is. . .interesting. It's a lot better than I expected. If you haven't watched it you should before watching the Avengers. Still it's the first time in a long time that I've been rooting for the bad guy not because I felt like being contrary but because I honestly thought for most of the movie that he was a better person than the hero and we'd be better off not only if he'd won but if his father had realized that the kid who's willing to shatter a treaty almost on a whim really isn't the person you want in charge of an entire realm.

Still good movie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get it - this is normally the kind of thing that makes my eyes gloss over. Explosions, flips, anime-style posing... it's all flash but this time I actually see some substance underneath. It may just be bias since I really enjoyed the Iron Man movies and tend to like the work of Whedon, Johanssen and Robert Downey Jr, but somehow I actually gave a crap and was left really anticipating the movie after the latest trailer. Still not sure I buy the villain as enough of a credible threat to require the Avengers to save the planet, but I have a feeling they'll make it work. Definitely looking forward to this, and I might make the extra effort to see it in 3D.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give Thor a watch before this comes out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thor is a good popcorn flick. I've never been a big fan of the character, so I wasn't expecting much from the film. I was pleasantly surprised. It's certainly nothing amazing, but a solid 2 hour block of entertainment.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah no, it's not on for 2 hours is it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched this at a pre screening toning. Went in with no expectations and loved it! Best Marvel movie in a while. Highly recommend!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    I'll give Thor a watch before this comes out.
    Did you watch it yet?

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from watching this.

Good movie better then expected 8/10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got back from watching it.

Overall it was OK. It did feel somewhat rushed but that's what I expected. Loved the middle act more than the final big brawl, just felt more urgent and character driven.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    I'm off to see this tomorrow night!
    TAPS AFF!

Paranoid Reculse
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
    Got back from watching it.

Overall it was OK. It did feel somewhat rushed but that's what I expected. Loved the middle act more than the final big brawl, just felt more urgent and character driven.

I'm with you on this. I loved the ship and felt that was the stronger part.

Though the amount of money they poured into the film made it look fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_Outlaw View Post
    [color=#a0e00a]I'm with you on this. I loved the ship and felt that was the stronger part.

Last edited by Zarius; April 27th, 2012 at 6:32 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple question: Is Avengers a movie people will be talking about a year from now, or is it a Sunday morning action flick you'll watch one time? Yes or no, gots to know.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just back from it - incredible stuff. The first time in quite a while where my expectations for a big event film were majorly surpassed. Joss Whedon really scored a home run with this. He juggled all the characters very well, their personalities bounced off each other as you'd expect and everyone got a chance to shine. The way they effortlessly flicked between drama and comedy, in true Whedon fashion, was fantastic.

The overall tone of the film was great - they had a pretty unique concept of joining up so many big stars, and they just had fun with it.

I think it was definitely the best depiction of Hulk so far (both in terms of the CGI and Mark Ruffalo as Banner). Captain America really became like the Captain America of the comics by the end. Iron Man had some great one-liners throughout, but they didn't fall into the trap of having him dominate proceedings. Thor's skirmishes throughout were great (
    Black Widow got her moments, and I thought the use of Hawkeye was fine. They fleshed out the Nick Fury character quite well (
    , though I'm still not entirely convinced that he needs a film of his own in the future.

And the mid-credits scene at the end -

Overall, Marvel would be daft not to lock in Joss Whedon for the next Avengers film within a matter of weeks. The Dark Knight Rises has its work cut out for it this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually expecting TDKR to trump this pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Tramp View Post
    Simple question: Is Avengers a movie people will be talking about a year from now, or is it a Sunday morning action flick you'll watch one time? Yes or no, gots to know.
    It's definatly one you can watch more than once. It's no Nolan Batflick or Superman The Movie though (which ARE deserving of the tired old proclomation "BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER"), and I thought Thor and The Incredible Hulk were tighter films than this plot-wise too.
    Last edited by Zarius; April 27th, 2012 at 5:52 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wouldn't be surprised if The Avengers makes more money considering it's in 3D.

Was the new TDKR trailer in front of the movie?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just come back from it.

It's probably the best film ever made.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I've just come back from it.

It's probably the best film ever made.
    So with that said it must have Bruce Campbell, zombies and lots of blue filter, yeah?

Seriously though, I want to see it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarius View Post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virmicious View Post
    So with that said it must have Bruce Campbell, zombies and lots of blue filter, yeah?

Seriously though, I want to see it
    Oddly it had none of those things.

It was just amazing. It was everything it should have been and more. And seeing it in IMAX, in 3D surrounded by an entire audience of twenty-something comic books nerds (some in costume) with nobody chatting or on their phone. Instead everyone was just pissing themselves with laughter throughout, genuinely cheering at the awesome parts and clapping in awe at the EVEN MORE AWESOMER parts.

It was the best movies screening I have ever (and probably will ever) attend. Genuinely incredible.
    Last edited by Guy; April 28th, 2012 at 2:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Ah. Had same experience at Attack of the Clones. The atmoshphere the people provided in the theatre made the movie seem much better than it really was. Not saying Avengers is shit mind you, I just know whatyou mean.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea it was incredible. I haven't had a cinema experience like it in a very long time. Probably since SAW actually.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you saw what?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I went to...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Kenny Powers is better than everyone in the Avengers.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; November 29th, 2017 at 8:45 PM. Reason: What the fuck is wrong with me?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a very good superhero film, excellent really. But the Nolan films are on a different level. Regarding hulk's 'secret'.

I think it was the best screen adaption depicting hulk's rage and unpredictability and ridiculous power.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't compare this to the Nolan movies, because the Nolan movies lose the "comic" element in the translation to live action. They're essentially crime dramas. The fantasy element has almost been removed completely.

This is the film I've wanted superhero movies to be. A direct translation of the comic in both look and tone. There's a scene where

and it doesn't feel out of place or jarring, even though by all accounts it completely should. At this point I feel like I could watch these actors/characters re-enact any of the more ridiculous scenarios from the comics, and still be just as engaged with them. The reason I usually prefer animated comic book movies, is because they can translate the more surreal or fantastical elements of the comics, but because it's animation, you don't question it and it works. That tends to get lost in live action. I was worried that trying to mesh Iron Man's universe and Thor's universe together would end up a confusing mess, but like in animation and in the world of comics themselves, this movie is so perfectly pitched that you just don't question it. It works.

If you took Nolan's Batman however, and stuck him in a film against Darkseid, or any other extra-terrestrial being/being from another dimension, it just wouldn't work, because they've tried so hard to suck the fantasy element out of those movies. The one hiccup I always had with the Batman movies, as amazing as they are, is sometimes they just took a bit of the fun away from the source material. Joker wearing face paint nor being an extravagant showman, Ra's NOT being an immortal, Bane being a short well built man as opposed to a towering mass of muscle. It works in that it creates more 'realism' for the live action drama, but at the same time misses some of the fun that's found in the original comics and the animated series/movies.

With The Avengers I genuinely felt like someone had just made the panels move in a comic book.
    Last edited by Guy; April 28th, 2012 at 9:51 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Actually, Tony Stark isn't that bad. The way Downey Jr. plays him irritates me because he never gets any form of comeuppance for being such a prick.

Is Cap cool in this? I do love me some Captain America.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's far cooler in this than he is in his own movie.

Mainly as in his movie he's just a naive kid thrust into a ridiculous situation, and his growth as team leader is kind of lost in the montages of explosions that take up the latter part of the movie.

In Avengers however, you see him actually acting in the role of a field leader.

I was worried when Evans was cast, as to whether he could work as Cap with his youth, as Cap was the guy that calls other soldiers "son" and that people are constantly looking up to for advice and inspiration.

I really enjoy the Cap movie, but obviously he wouldn't be at that level yet, with it being the origin story. But by the time this ends and he totally takes control of a particular situation and refers to a soldier as "son" and "boy" and it totally works.

The costume could probably still use a bit of work though. It's not terrible, and I totally bought it as the movie progressed, but standing next to the bulky Iron Man, CGI Hulk and ridiculously god sized Thor, Cap looks sorta skinny.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, if you find Stark annoying, Cap has some choice words for him throughout their exchanges.

The film's at 96% on rotten tomatoes, and the pre-sales are huge.

I can't remember the last time I had so much fun at the cinema - a lot of things could have gone wrong with this endeavour, but they pulled it off beautifully. I'd have to see it a few more times before comparing it to The Dark Knight. I'd agree with Helen O'Hara's take on Empire's podcast that you could probably put The Dark Knight in a different category altogether.
    Last edited by Chris; April 28th, 2012 at 11:43 AM.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm seeing this tomorrow night. I've not seen any of the earlier films. Am I going to understand what's going on? Obviously I've a passing familiarity with most of the main characters.

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    you should get the general gist easily enough, although I'd suggest at least catching Thor beforehand

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not seeing Avengers until the midnight iMAX opening here (Thursday), but I'd highly recommend giving Iron Man 1 and Cap a watch tonight if you have the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't imagine watching it without the other movies in mind.

I kinda guess you COULD see it without seeing the other movies, but it seems to me that the build up and continuity/progress of these character is half the fun.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, I think it's still accessible to the general movie-going public. Though it has a bigger impact after you've seen how all these characters originated, certainly. But the joy of this film is the deeper analysis of most of the characters, and watching the sparks fly when they're placed in a small room together.

I'd recommend watching Thor and Captain America, if you had the time. If you only had time for one film, I'd lean towards Thor as it's about the most direct lead-in to The Avengers. But then I watched all 5 of the Marvel films in a 5 night marathon leading up to yesterday...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a bundle at the iMAX here to see ALL of them on the Thursday leading into the midnight debut. My friends and I talked about it, but I have my last presentation of the semester that afternoon/evening. That and I'd be spent by the time they got to Avengers.

I'm really hoping, however, that they do something like that for TDKR. Never got to see TDK in iMAX and my friends and I will be watching both again right before at my house anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not disputing the possibility of being able to watch it without the others. I'm just saying that I find it difficult to imagine doing so, as I can't possibly imagine watching this WITHOUT the build up behind it.

The film is fantastic, but ultimately it is the pay off to five films worth of build, it just seems odd to jump to the pay off without attempting some of the build. I have no idea how this film would play to me without having the 5 films worth of emotional weight behind it. The direction these characters are coming from, and half the drama in the film comes from the hours of development that comes before it.

You could probably follow the story (maybe have the odd question or two) and the humour and drama will play out fine and enjoyable. But having those other stories behind each character turns every decision and every line of dialogue from a good joke to an incredible joke, or a good line to an incredible line, or good character development into incredible character moment/pay-off.
    Last edited by Guy; April 28th, 2012 at 2:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    They have a bundle at the iMAX here to see ALL of them on the Thursday leading into the midnight debut. My friends and I talked about it, but I have my last presentation of the semester that afternoon/evening. That and I'd be spent by the time they got to Avengers.
    I heard of a similar offer around here, and was extremely tempted. But then, twelve hours of film BEFORE getting to The Avengers is probably far too much and would possibly just shit on the anticipation of the movie.

I did a film a night over five nights, including the two one-shot movies included on the Thor and Cap Blu Rays, then The Avengers itself.
    EDIT: Essentially what Chris did.
    Last edited by Guy; April 28th, 2012 at 2:10 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had second thoughts about doing the marathon, as I thought my expectations would be ridiculously high when I got to The Avengers. It's a testament to how good the film is that it managed to be even better than I expected, following a 5 night build-up. As Atty said, I'll probably do the same with The Dark Knight Rises.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only film from the build up I have access to is Iron Man 2, which is on Netflix. I joined Netflix last night hoping that some of the others would be on there but they're not.

I'm not that fussed. It's a blockbuster comicbook film featuring a bunch of character I've already got a passing familiarity with. I can't see it going over my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was really excellent.

i was worried it would be a bit too crowded with each character having to get their little one-liners or catchphrases in but they dealt with it very well I think by making sure we were always seeing new pairings/groups of characters together to see how they interact.

A few things annoyed me, Loki speaking English all poetic and all the Germans being totally ok wth it, lol. And a little old kraut talking back in English. Thor colliding with Iron Man and Iron Man 'winning' when by rights the Hammer should give Thor much more momentum. What exactly is Black Widow apart from some kind of counsellor slash hot rang. Hawkeye just is good at archery. Not that they are bad but they don't seem on the level of the others.

Very well written. Too much Sam Jackson to be honest, though I will admit this role was made for him. The baseball cards shite was shite. Couldn't take Robin seriously. Still having trouble not thinking Thor is Kit from Home and Away. Wasn't sure about Loki as villain but he turned out well.

Biggest complaint was the faceless army of doom. Perhaps you comic chaps (I am into comics but not superhero comics) will know all about them and love it, but to me they needed a bit more.

PS you have access to all the buildup films if you have access to this forum.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grimshaw View Post
    That was really excellent.

i was worried it would be a bit too crowded with each character having to get their little one-liners or catchphrases in but they dealt with it very well I think by making sure we were always seeing new pairings/groups of characters together to see how they interact.

A few things annoyed me, Loki speaking English all poetic and all the Germans being totally ok wth it, lol. And a little old kraut talking back in English.
    Yea I totally didn't think about this. But then again, I totally didn't think about Red Skull talking in English all the way through the Captain America movie

Thor colliding with Iron Man and Iron Man 'winning' when by rights the Hammer should give Thor much more momentum.
    Didn't Iron Man only start to gain equal ground when

What exactly is Black Widow apart from some kind of counsellor slash hot rang. Hawkeye just is good at archery. Not that they are bad but they don't seem on the level of the others.
    They're not on the level of the others. They are human. Trained humans. Black Widow is a spy/operative, and Hawkeye is a sniper/operative. They were SHIELD'S agents BEFORE the rise of the superhuman. Essentially trained government assassins.

Very well written. Too much Sam Jackson to be honest, though I will admit this role was made for him. The baseball cards shite was shite. Couldn't take Robin seriously. Still having trouble not thinking Thor is Kit from Home and Away. Wasn't sure about Loki as villain but he turned out well.
    The role was LITERALLY made for him

I genuinely thought Fury was in the film for a strong amount. Enough to take him seriously as a genuine character as opposed to some dude that just pops up for two minutes. And again the baseball cards I thought was a fantastic way of showing Fury's ability to manipulate and lie to protect the Earth. He's not a complete do-gooder. Admittedly Maria Hill wasn't played half as well as I was hoping. It was just Robin from HIMYM saying military things, she didn't have a presence, let alone a hard enough demeanor for the job she was supposed to be doing. She does look like the character though, so there is that.

Biggest complaint was the faceless army of doom. Perhaps you comic chaps (I am into comics but not superhero comics) will know all about them and love it, but to me they needed a bit more.
    The faceless army of doom are pretty much just as faceless in the comic, though they have more of a part in human history. Essentially they were used in this film because they were newer enemies in the Marvel Universe and do not have sixty years worth of back-story behind them for the movie to have to squeeze in with everything else. Essentially they could be moulded into just being Loki's faceless army from a planet who really wants the Cube, and no Marvel fan is going to go mental for the change in their story/apperance. They were a bit anonymous, but at the same time I think there sheer over-whelming size and number helped them seem more of a threat. Watching them, and the things they rode in on, swarm over New York was epic, and knowing only these 6 or 7 guys were going to be the ones fighting them all off just made it seem terribly un-even. Every big movie bad guy has his faceless thugs for the good guys to murder their way through, I think these ones just happened to have a name. But no they aren't really a big thing in the comics either, just a reason for the heroes to put aside their difference and come together.
    Boosh.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seen it last night with the first Iron Man being the only relevant film I'd watched beforehand. Thought it was ok. Best bit was Thor's "He's adopted" line.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things annoyed me, Loki speaking English all poetic and all the Germans being totally ok wth it, lol. And a little old kraut talking back in English.
    Have you been to Germany? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that bit of the film.

Help me, help you Christopherson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved it, I've watched Thor, Captain America and the Iron Man films so I had a vague idea about the characters. Which is not to say I knew what was going on through out the film, to know that you would have to read the comics and I haven't read any in 20 years, and because of this I think the film caters for the movie goer as well as the hardcore fans.

It was so good the wife was even getting super excited during the fight scenes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't Iron Man only start to gain equal ground whenhis suit was lightninged up to 300% power?
    Momentum is velocity times mass. They collide at roughly equal velocity, and so the outcome of their collision (I'm talking about only a single collision here) should be determined by mass.

Now hor's hammer's mass is obviously not an obvious thing to deal with but I'm picking nits and it bugged me. It's the sort of little thing that the movie got right most of the time. For eexample watching Hulk's feet sink into the floor when he tried to pick up the hammer (though technically that implies the hammer itself should be forever sinking :P....)

Yes I've been to Germany and no I dont think the scene was especially accurate. Loki should have at least dumbed the verse down a tad.
    You know what I like? Arrested Development.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Momentum is velocity times mass. They collide at roughly equal velocity, and so the outcome of their collision (I'm talking about only a single collision here) should be determined by mass.

Now hor's hammer's mass is obviously not an obvious thing to deal with but I'm picking nits and it bugged me. It's the sort of little thing that the movie got right most of the time. For eexample watching Hulk's feet sink into the floor when he tried to pick up the hammer (though technically that implies the hammer itself should be forever sinking :P....)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Magic and math doesn't really work so well together blood. Let the android be.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I've been to Germany and no I dont think the scene was especially accurate. Loki should have at least dumbed the verse down a tad.
    Your average German speaks better English than your average Brit does. Particularly well-off Germans in big cities. Even if not all of them had understood him, enough would that when they kneeled the rest followed.

If that had been someone speaking German in London or Sydney and everyone understanding it then obviously it wouldn't have worked.

Meh
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got home from seeing this. I'd like to open by saying that I've never been a comic book person, and I've always only had a passing interest in movies based on them (except for Batman, Batman's awesome). I only went because my 15 year old brother wanted to go, so I took him because I'M awesome. I saw it in 3D, only my 2nd 3D movie after Titanic 3D which doesn't really count.

I was absolutely blown away by the 3D, the story had me hooked, the action was incredible and intense, and the jokes/humor were hilarious.

I loved the movie and everything about it. Go see it.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This finally came out here last night at midnight. Great summer popcorn flick. Insanely fun. Didn't feel it was particularly deep, but it wasn't trying to be. It wanted to be fun and it was to a fantastic degree. I thought Loki was boring to the point of hurting the film for me in Thor but, in here, he was fantastic.

Also, Hulk had my single favorite moment in any Marvel movie ever:

Great summer film. Can't wait for a sequel.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How many Atnumbers would you give it out of 10?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by takerson View Post
    Just got home from seeing this. I'd like to open by saying that I've never been a comic book person, and I've always only had a passing interest in movies based on them (except for Batman, Batman's awesome). I only went because my 15 year old brother wanted to go, so I took him because I'M awesome. I saw it in 3D, only my 2nd 3D movie after Titanic 3D which doesn't really count.

I was absolutely blown away by the 3D, the story had me hooked, the action was incredible and intense, and the jokes/humor were hilarious.

I loved the movie and everything about it. Go see it.

Glad you enjoyed it. You should definitely watch a couple of the lead up movies if you haven't.

Meh
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I did watch Thor and Captain America last night. My brother insisted on it, and I'm SOOOO glad I did. As knowing the characters and how they got to that point was key in enjoying the movie. It felt like one BIG movie with Thor & Captain America, and I don't think I'd have enjoyed it even half as much if I didn't see them first. It felt like Thor II and Capt. America II at the same time, which was fantastic.

Meh
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and thanks for the filling-me-in link to

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's so many little nods and winks and links to Marvel lore and previous films, it's really magnificent.

Just little lines like Tony Stark
    has me nerding out like crazy.

And I love how it furthers EVERYONE's stories.

Last edited by Guy; May 4th, 2012 at 5:02 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    How many Atnumbers would you give it out of 10?
    9-ish. I tend to give more top scores though. Like a 3 1/2 out out 4. Stupidly enjoyable.

Glad you enjoyed it. You should definitely watch a couple of the lead up movies if you haven't.
    Exiting the movie, my friends and I were debating who it was.

I did enjoy that, at a midnight premiere of a Marvel movie, that there were at least 20-30 in the iMAX that got up and left at the start of the credits. I don't get how anyone could leave at this point, with every movie having something post credits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of us don't give a hoot about the post credits scenes.