User Tag List

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marvel Cinematic Universe films

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people are mad that he had Black Widow get upset about being forcibly sterilized. Because if a woman ever cares about her ability to reproduce it's obviously sexism... even if she's talking to a man who is crying over his own inability to safely have children... Jesus. He can't fucking win. At this point if I were Whedon I'd be all "Fuck it, I'm going to Hooters".

Alf
    While she's a pretty strong character in her own right she is still is secondary and supporting to all the male characters, just like all the other female roles in the MCU so far. I don't think she has more than one line with another female. It's not a progressive role at all. But does it really need to be?

Similarly you could do the whole "WOAH IT'S RACIST" because there are only 2 black guys in it, with basic supporting roles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say she's secondary to the male characters at all, she's one of the Avengers, doing all sorts of important mission stuff while running through her own arc of trying to find peace with her past, is considered the best at what she does on the entire planet and ends up as the defacto joint leader of the Avengers with Captain America as they begin training the new batch. That's a really meaty role when they could've just said "oh Black Widow's busy in Russia" and bumped Johansson off the cast while she was pregnant.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I have no idea what these people want besides attention.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, these complaints are stretching. Tony Stark, the dude notorious for being a dick, makes a joke fitting of him, and one that he surely wasn't serious about and wasn't directed at anyone in particular. And Black Widow "calling herself a monster" for not being able to reproduce isn't comparing her to a monster, it's reflective of what society expects of women. Literary women wrote characters with similar thought processes many years before with the intention of reflecting societies expectations. What makes this any different? Yes, the patriarchy is an ongoing issue, but some of these people are looking for any reason to complain about small things when there are actual examples of sexism still running rampant that should be attacked.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    What was the RDJ joke?

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    What was the RDJ joke?
    He said when he lifts up Thor's hammer and becomes ruler of Asgard, he'll reinstate Prima Nocta, which is the old rule that a lord could have sexual rights to a woman on her wedding night.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She was a monster because she was an assassin created by evil Russians, not because she can't have kids.

All of the additional cast make up good roles for women too; The clever doctor who surpasses some of the men with her intellect, or the one with the clipboard who walks around co-ordinating a fix for the men a lot of the time.

Plus Scarlett Witch has f*cking superpowers, far superior to the rest of them - she even got in Thors head, despite being mighty.

It's a stretch to say the film is sexist, people who bang on about this type of shit are absolute kill joys who love nothing better than finding something new to complain about. Once this is done, they'll move onto Mad Max and complain about why it wasn't 'Mad Maxine' and why there isn't a woman in the lead...

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They just want money to carry out their agenda. What better way than to attack the most profitable franchise in current times? They just love to demonize people. The world truly makes me feel sick at times. Like I'm ashamed to even be alive in these times.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Empire have a thorough summary of their podcast interview with Joss Whedon about some of the big plot points and decisions in the film.

http://www.empireonline.com/features...ultron-secrets

I'm really intrigued by the trimming down of Thor's scene in the pool, as it originally involved him becoming possessed and questioned by Selvig. I'm not sure how well that would have worked, but it would have given Thor a bit more focus in a film where he didn't get up to very much. Hemsworth really carried some of the big comedy moments with just his facial expressions, but didn't have a stand-out dramatic or action scene. It was also a bit disappointing to find out that Joss was basically given a choice by some executives between cutting down that scene or losing the farm scene. I really loved seeing them in full retreat and being a bit lost for a while - it moved along Natasha and Banner's relationship, completely reinvigorated Barton's character and even set up some tension between Rodgers and Stark for Civil War. I've always been quite impressed by the overall vision that Kevin Feige seems to have for the MCU, but it just shows that there are still some higher-ups who are maybe looking for more loud explosions and fisticuffs and less quieter moments which ultimately develop the characters or drive the narrative.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm looking through the accounts...
    Some of them are mad that
    and that Wanda & Pietro (Romani Jews) volunteered for Hydra (Neo Nazi) medical experimentation. One guy is really pissed off that Hawkeye isn't the Hawkeye from the comics...
    Some are sjws, some are super fans, and some are both...

Apparently a few days before the film came out, a couple of cast members called the Black Widow character a slut in an interview as well...

So it seems to be a hodge podge of rage...
    A rage podge, if you will...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; May 5th, 2015 at 5:46 PM.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    I'm looking through the accounts...
    Some of them are mad that
    and that Wanda & Pietro (Romani Jews) volunteered for Hydra (Neo Nazi) medical experimentation. One guy is really pissed off that Hawkeye isn't the Hawkeye from the comics...
    Some are sjws, some are super fans, and some are both...

Apparently a few days before the film came out, a couple of cast members called the Black Widow character a slut in an interview as well...

So it seems to be a hodge podge of rage...
    A rage podge, if you will...
    I'm interested to hear/see this interview. She's definitely not a slut in any way for this movie, so I wonder what the basis for it is.

I'm Spinning Around! sam_elmendorf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used her sexuality to get Tony's attention, flirty with Captain America, wants to hook up with a huge green penis. Nothing slutty there. Just kidding, but, I understand some idiots thinking this is why. If I had a giant green penis and some uber babe wanted to jump on it, come get some baby!

I love the Black Widow character, and not just because she's hot. She is smoking hot though!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'll tell ya, though, I loved the witty repartee between cartoon characters in the midst of the slaughtering of hundreds of thousands of people. A good Robert Downey Jr. quip really softens the blow.

Alf
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Plasma View Post

All of the additional cast make up good roles for women too; The clever doctor who surpasses some of the men with her intellect, or the one with the clipboard who walks around co-ordinating a fix for the men a lot of the time.
    Those additional cast roles are fleeting though and are there purely to service and support the male roles. They aren't strong roles at all outside the fact that "D'awww bless she's a scientist boo boo booo how cute, look, she's got a clipboard!".

I'm no bleeding heart feminist but even I can see how token they are.

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't understand why they'd have a problem with Joss Whedon, but not already hate the Marvel Universe, because it's all pretty much the same treatment. I can only guess it's that Whedon gets mainstream credit for being 'feminist' so they're angry/jealous. He absolutely is, relative to his genre. So many of the complainers seem to have a connection with the Black Widow character as if she wasn't always wank fodder. I guess they are just twats. If you're a feminist why are you engaging with Disney products. You might as well look forward to the new McDonald's burger and then complain that it's not vegan.
    Last edited by The Rogerer; May 6th, 2015 at 5:45 AM.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Marvel's treatment of women has been better than most franchises say Bond for instance. I would argue that it has been better than DC who only got the women right in DKR after two other movies. Amy Adams in MOS was meaningless. Marvel has Black Widow, Wanda, Pepper Potts, Peggy Carter, Jane Foster and Gammorra. All different women with different skill sets and personalities. Now, you can make an argument Jane is the weakest of the lot, but she is still treated as a smart woman with drive. Peggy got her own TV show which has pro-feminism as you can get at times. Why feminist would discount the Marvel Universe or this movie makes no sense.

Intercontinental Champion Zyphlin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God I can't freaking stand SJW's. What a bunch of absolutely non-sense with this. Twitter continues to be the dregs of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    And Black Widow "calling herself a monster" for not being able to reproduce isn't comparing her to a monster
    I never got the impression from that scene that she was saying she was a monster for not being able to reproduce. I got the impression she was suggesting she was a monster based on everything the Russians did to her and caused her to give up in order to become an assassin.

She was a monster because she was an assassin created by evil Russians, not because she can't have kids.
    Yeah, that.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    I'm interested to hear/see this interview. She's definitely not a slut in any way for this movie, so I wonder what the basis for it is.
    It was Jeremy Renner and Chris Evans. It was apparently one of the last in a long line of interviews on a press junket.

The interviewer asked a question of them concerning "Shipping". Basically asking them what they thought about Black Widow and Banner in this film, in relation to many fans hoping that she'd end up getting together with Hawkeye or Captain America (based on their interactions in the Avengers / Winter Soldier respectively).

Renner answered, in a clearly purposefully deadpan voice and straight extremely serious face, "she's a slut". Then Evans breaks out laughing, with Renner's serious facade falling away and chuckling as well. Evans laughingly says he was about to say something similar, jokingly (as evidenced by him still in mid laugh) going "she's a whore".

Neither seemed serious in the least and were pretty clearly, in my opinion, trying to just relax a little bit and joke around during a long day of press interviews that likely are ridiculous monotonous in terms of what gets asked and how the ygo.

The same type of situation could've happened after Iron Man 1 with Paltrow calling Tony Stark a "dog" and no one would've bat an eye. In that case as well, she could've said it far more legitimately than these guys (since Stark absolutely was), where as these guys were clearly not serious. I hate the idiotic notion amongst SJW's that somehow the notion of flirting around or sleeping around with a bunch of people is universally looked at as negative for women and not for men, simply because men aren't called "sluts" as often...ignoring the fact that there are other negative terms for men that act in that fashion. It's like being upset that men don't often get called "cunts", ignoring that it's because they're usually called "dicks" (which women typically aren't called).

This article has the embedded video.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    What does SJW stand for?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does SJW stand for?
    Social Justice Warrior, which astonishingly has become a bad thing to be somehow. And in this nonsensical rage-podge (thanks Bill) I can kind of see where the exasperation comes from.

Intercontinental Champion Zyphlin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does SJW stand for?
    Social Justice Warrior.

See also: Facebook Activist

Urban Dictionary: Social Justice Warrior

Know your Meme: Social Justice Warrior

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People need to seriously get a fucking grip;

https://storify.com/Astojap/wehdon-twitter-hate

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hate the world today. I hate Twitter, I hate Facebook. Thing that gets me is 99% of these people are hypocrites.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading those tweets makes me so angry. I had to stop after the first couple.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw it tonight. Randomly my old Uni was in it. Even got namechecked.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    All this shit is stupid. I 100% blame the rogerer

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    One thing that really stood out to me is how at the end, it was what Man of Steel's huge battle should have been: the heroes saving civilians left and right and leaving themselves open to attack to save people that they've never even met.
    I thought the exact same thing. Christ MoS was a terrible film.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The scene at the end w/ the Avengers saving civilians was great, especially the scene involving Hawkeye.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Well, duh. Hawkeye is a man so joss will write him to be a flawless bad ass who does nothing but right

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rogerer View Post
    I can't understand why they'd have a problem with Joss Whedon, but not already hate the Marvel Universe, because it's all pretty much the same treatment. I can only guess it's that Whedon gets mainstream credit for being 'feminist' so they're angry/jealous. He absolutely is, relative to his genre. So many of the complainers seem to have a connection with the Black Widow character as if she wasn't always wank fodder. I guess they are just twats. If you're a feminist why are you engaging with Disney products. You might as well look forward to the new McDonald's burger and then complain that it's not vegan.
    Have you seen Winter Soldier?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    One thing that really stood out to me is how at the end, it was what Man of Steel's huge battle should have been: the heroes saving civilians left and right and leaving themselves open to attack to save people that they've never even met.
    And Superman should have been lobbing zingers left and right!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/jo...er#.osAQpv9YJP

Joss Whedon Calls “Horsesh*t” On Reports He Left Twitter Because Of Militant Feminists

“I just thought, Wait a minute, if I’m going to start writing again, I have to go to the quiet place, and this is the least quiet place I’ve ever been in my life,” Whedon told BuzzFeed News.

When filmmaker Joss Whedon decided to delete his Twitter account on Monday, the day after his movie Avengers: Age of Ultron scored the second-highest domestic opening weekend ever, it prompted a flurry of speculation about what, or who, might have driven him away. Whedon found one theory — that he left Twitter due to militant feminists angered over the film’s depiction of Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) — particularly galling, so much so that he decided to break his silence.

“That is horseshit,” he told BuzzFeed News by phone on Tuesday. “Believe me, I have been attacked by militant feminists since I got on Twitter. That’s something I’m used to. Every breed of feminism is attacking every other breed, and every subsection of liberalism is always busy attacking another subsection of liberalism, because god forbid they should all band together and actually fight for the cause.

“I saw a lot of people say, ‘Well, the social justice warriors destroyed one of their own!’ It’s like, Nope. That didn’t happen,” he continued. “I saw someone tweet it’s because Feminist Frequency pissed on Avengers 2, which for all I know they may have. But literally the second person to write me to ask if I was OK when I dropped out was [Feminist Frequency founder] Anita [Sarkeesian].”

What did happen, Whedon said, is that he chose to embrace his long-standing desire post–Age of Ultron to reclaim his personal life and creative spark — and that meant saying good-bye to Twitter. “I just thought, Wait a minute, if I’m going to start writing again, I have to go to the quiet place,” he said. “And this is the least quiet place I’ve ever been in my life. … It’s like taking the bar exam at Coachella. It’s like, Um, I really need to concentrate on this! Guys! Can you all just… I have to… It’s super important for my law!”

Scarlett Johansson and Whedon on the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron. Jay Maidment / Marvel

While Whedon is adamant that feminist criticisms were not the catalyst for his decision, it is clear that some of the distracting uproar that was crowding his notifications and squeezing his creativity came from at least a nominally feminist point of view.

“I’ve said before, when you declare yourself politically, you destroy yourself artistically,” he said. “Because suddenly that’s the litmus test for everything you do — for example, in my case, feminism. If you don’t live up to the litmus test of feminism in this one instance, then you’re a misogynist. It circles directly back upon you.”

One example: Before Age of Ultron opened, Whedon tweeted that he was frustrated that a clip from the upcoming film Jurassic World was “‘70s era sexist” — something he later regretted, telling Variety it was “bad form.” At the same time, Whedon was clearly exasperated by some of the negative commentary about his tweet. “There was a point during the whole Jurassic World thing where someone wrote the phrase ‘championing women marginalizes them,’ and I was like, OK! We’re done! The snake hath et its tail,” he told BuzzFeed News. “There’s no way to find any coherence when everything has to be parsed and decried.”

As far as Whedon is concerned, however, anyone blaming feminists for driving him away from social media is not only wrong, but missing the point about the relationship between internet trolls and feminists on Twitter.

“For someone like Anita Sarkeesian to stay on Twitter and fight back the trolls is a huge statement,” he said. “It’s a statement of strength and empowerment and perseverance, and it’s to be lauded. For somebody like me to argue with a bunch of people who wanted Clint and Natasha to get together [in the second Avengers film], not so much. For someone like me even to argue about feminism — it’s not a huge win. Because ultimately I’m just a rich, straight, white guy. You don’t really change people’s minds through a tweet. You change it through your actions. The action of Anita being there and going through that and getting through that and women like her — that says a lot.”

So while some of the hate directed at Whedon did take the form of death threats, Whedon said he never saw anything on Twitter that escalated to the level of what feminists like Sarkeesian have had to face just about every day. “Nothing that made me go, ‘Wait, they’re calling from my house,’” he said. “It was like, OK, these guys don’t understand about hyperbole.”

The extreme passion of comic book fans specifically was familiar ground for Whedon well before Twitter even existed, when he first started writing for Marvel Comics in the 2000s and got some advice from veteran comic writer Brian Michael Bendis. “He said, ‘You’re going to meet a new kind of person,’” Whedon said. “His example was he had a letter somebody had written that just said, ‘In panel one, page 17, Daredevil would never say that, die die why can’t you just die?’ … I haven’t dealt with a lot of that, because my fans have always been sweet, erudite, interesting, compassionate people. Like, I don’t know any Buffy trolls. So the steady stream of just like, ‘You suck, you suck, you suck’ [on Twitter] — I don’t really think I need to visit You Suck Land anymore.”

It wasn’t just the constant hate on Twitter that Whedon was eager to shut off, either. “So many people have said mean things, but so many people have said wonderful things. But how much approbation do I need before I become creepy?” he asked. “I so appreciate when people took the time to say something nice. But for my own self, it’s like, at some point, you’re just like a little compliment leech. That’s not going to help your writing any more than people slamming on you.”

Ultimately, Whedon said he took stock of everything positive Twitter was providing for him (access to stories he found interesting, people he admired, and jokes he found funny), and everything bad it was throwing at him (the troll-y hate and surfeit of praise) — and realized that the problem actually wasn’t Twitter at all.

“The real issue is me,” he said. “Twitter is an addictive little thing, and if it’s there, I gotta check it. When you keep doing something after it stops giving you pleasure, that’s kind of rock bottom for an addict. … I just had a little moment of clarity where I’m like, You know what? If I want to get stuff done, I need to not constantly hit this thing for a news item or a joke or some praise, and then be suddenly sad when there’s hate and then hate and then hate.”

When asked if he would ever consider coming back to Twitter, Whedon at first gave an almost reflexive never-say-never answer: “I’m sure I’d consider it at some point. It’s a lot of fun. I had a great time.” But the more he talked about it, the less likely that seemed.

“I think the articles that I found, I can find elsewhere,” Whedon said. “I’ll miss some jokes. Maybe I’ll have to go out to a club to see jokes! I think that’s already an improvement in my life. … I need to go out, do the research, turn the page, see the thing, hear the music, live like a person. I’m not great at that. So, oddly enough, because I always feel like I’m the old man who doesn’t get the tech, right now I’m the man who thinks he could do better without it.”

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    “I saw someone tweet it’s because Feminist Frequency pissed on Avengers 2, which for all I know they may have.
    For the record, they didn't...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So he couldn't just not log in to Twitter for a while? He had to delete his account to get to his quiet place?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mike View Post
    So he couldn't just not log in to Twitter for a while? He had to delete his account to get to his quiet place?
    I've heard it's addictive...
    There's a recent study that suggests it's harder to quit than cigarettes or alcohol...
    I've also heard it's a great place to tell famous people to go fuck themselves...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; May 6th, 2015 at 11:32 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mike View Post
    Social Justice Warrior, which astonishingly has become a bad thing to be somehow. And in this nonsensical rage-podge (thanks Bill) I can kind of see where the exasperation comes from.
    #AngryStupidPeopleRuinEverything

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine a grown man not being able to just say "fuck it" to Twitter (says the man with 26,000 posts on a wrestling forum) but if there's an actual study, maybe there's something in the idea of it actually being addicting. That's troubling. Hope he enjoys life more now, anyway.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    And Superman should have been lobbing zingers left and right!
    okay, we get it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Empire spoiler podcast is very good.

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SJW has blossomed into a useful derogatory term to describe the variety of hate mob that you're attracting. We need to effectively categorise the volume of hate mobs we have now.

Also, I'm always glad when people leave twitter because we should remember that it's this arbitrary, proprietary medium owned by a corporation, with a bizarre arbitrary format that encourages conflict.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This shouldn't even be a thing. Nobody should care if someone quits twitter. People shouldn't care that much to tweet at him before this. Buzzfeed is a waste of space.

I think I might just delete the internet.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The problem is everyone has a voice now. Everyone's opinion is heard. And it's baseless opinions. They are making things up left and right. I'm sure you give anyone of these people a day with Joss Whedon and their opinion would be changed. I don't know the guy, I can't form an opinion on him. I can say I haven't really enjoyed anything he's done, but that's just me.

It's easy to sit behind a screen and anonymously bash someone. As soon as your real information is assigned people I think tend to be nicer. It's just trolling for trolling's sake. I guess a lot of people hate their lives and this is a way to make themselves feel better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't delete my twitter, I just can't bring myself to log in anymore because it's mostly just negative shit. At least with facebook, if someone really bugs me with their non stop negative crap, I can just block them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can block people on Twitter too. Though it might take a while...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This shouldn't even be a thing. Nobody should care if someone quits twitter. People shouldn't care that much to tweet at him before this. Buzzfeed is a waste of space.

I think I might just delete the internet.
    DON'T TOUCH ME-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E-E!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Civil War is going to be huge. Marvel have announced the line-up today.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel.com
    Marvel Studios has commenced principal photography at Pinewood Studios in Atlanta, Georgia on “Captain America: Civil War,” the third installment of its Super Hero franchise. The production will shoot on location in Atlanta, Georgia, which serves as the base for the film’s production, as well as locations in Germany, Puerto Rico and Iceland.

Set for release in the United States on May 6, 2016, “Captain America: Civil War” is directed by Anthony and Joe Russo (Marvel’s “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Community”) from a screenplay by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely (“Captain America: The Winter Solider,” Marvel’s “Captain America: The First Avenger”). The film returns Chris Evans (“Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron”) as the iconic Super Hero character Steve Rogers/Captain America along with Robert Downey Jr. (“Avengers: Age of Ultron,” Marvel’s “Iron Man 3”) as Tony Stark/Iron Man, Scarlett Johansson (“Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Captain America: The Winter Soldier”) as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Sebastian Stan (“Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Captain America: The First Avenger”) as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier, Anthony Mackie (“Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Captain America: The Winter Soldier”) as Sam Wilson/Falcon, Paul Bettany (“Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Iron Man 3”) as The Vision, Jeremy Renner (“Avengers: Age of Ultron,” Marvel’s “The Avengers”) as Clint Barton/Hawkeye, Don Cheadle (“Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Iron Man 3”) as Jim Rhodes/War Machine and Elizabeth Olsen (“Avengers: Age of Ultron,” “Godzilla”) as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch.

After his debut in Marvel’s “Ant-Man” on July 17, 2015, Paul Rudd (“Ant-Man,” ”Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues”) will make his first appearance alongside the Avengers as Scott Lang/Ant-Man in “Captain America: Civil War.”

The film also includes outstanding additional cast, including Chadwick Boseman (“42,” “Get on Up”) as T’Challa/Black Panther, Emily VanCamp (“Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Revenge”) as Sharon Carter/Agent 13, Daniel Brühl (“Inglourious Basterds,” “Bourne Ultimatum”), Frank Grillo (“Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Warrior”) as Brock Rumlow/Crossbones, William Hurt (“A History of Violence,” Marvel’s “The Incredible Hulk”) as General Thaddeus “Thunderbolt” Ross and Martin Freeman (“The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey,” “The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies”).

“Captain America: Civil War” picks up where “Avengers: Age of Ultron” left off, as Steve Rogers leads the new team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers while they try to protect the world from a new and nefarious villain.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Age of Ultron was incredible.

Civil War should be as well.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I love they are getting William Hurt back as Ross. You have to think they are going to have to do the Hulk movie.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    I love they are getting William Hurt back as Ross. You have to think they are going to have to do the Hulk movie.
    As long as they keep Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk I'd be down. He's done a fantastic job.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruffalo is great, but I still think a Hulk movie is one of the toughest things for Marvel to get right. He's great in short bursts in the Avengers films, but sustaining that over 2 hours is not as easy, especially if the villain is also a big computer-generated monster. Though the CGI has certainly come a long way from the previous Hulk movies and they've firmly established a Banner character that you can feel for and root for.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    They are going to sprinkle in the other heroes. That is what they have been doing with the other sequels. A Hulk film with Tony or Black Window or Spiderman is not out of the question.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if they are literally going to introduce stuff like Planet Hulk, then that could make these movies kick so much ass. I've felt the previous 2 Hulk movies just lacked...IDK what they lacked exactly, but they just didn't do anything for me. I loved the show as a kid, the animated movies v. Wolverine and Thor were cool, the comics have grown on me as well. So I think they could really do some cool stuff with Hulk it just depends on what direction they really want to go. Are they going to go the same route where they try to balance Bruce and his love life with being the Hulk? Or do they just go in a different direction and bring in some Doc Sampson stuff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never read a Hulk comic, curious though, Banner created Hulk here on Earth, so how would there be a Planet Hulk?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well its a little different in each telling, but Planet Hulk in the original telling refers to the planet that Hulk crashes on after the Illuminati decide that he's simply to dangerous to keep on Earth. Usually they skip all that in the movies and cartoons because explaining the Illuminati (I mean it's members) is a huge pain in the ass especially if your primary story is Hulk centric.

Personally I think they'd do well to have either Loki or Enchantress step in and do World War Hulk. Even though his original motivation was "you fuckers sent me to space with a nuke? I'ma smash!" that's easy to get around as well. And it lets more people get in on the fun. Unfortunately the Fantastic Four and X-Men would be unlikely to come and play in a movie where they would essentially get bit parts.

I don't think a Hulk movie really has to be that fucking difficult. Incredible Hulk was mediocre at worst and I thought it landed well on the upper side of good but not perfect. I'm just not sold it needs a sequel of any sort. I'd love to see She-Hulk pretty much dominate a film but I think with Gamora running around the chances of She-Hulk ever appearing the MCU is pretty fucking low.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I always assumed Planet Hulk was about a planet inhabited by Hulks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    I always assumed Planet Hulk was about a planet inhabited by Hulks.
    Same here, that's why I asked about it. Like, did Banner just go nuts and start creating a bunch of Hulks and then they got sent to space, or was there a different origin where there is a planet inhabited by Hulk creatures and Banner found his way to earth.

So thanks Doc for clearing it up a little for me.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Planet Hulk movie would be - expensive. I think that's the main kink.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Doesn't seem like they are short on cash... the current movies certainly aren't cheap.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From a production standpoint, it would be immense. It would probably be a bigger project than Avengers... not 100% certain about that though. To have nearly an entire CG Hulk movie w/ an entirely alien cast - THAT would cost a lot. I can understand why even Marvel/Disney would sweep that aside.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    They also need the rights to Silver Surfer. They could also shove Hulk thanks to Thanos which he sorta does during the big Infinity Gauntlet fight. I would love to see Planet Hulk, but their best bet is to do a Hulk movie where he is Banner can talk as Hulk like Grey Hulk. Perhaps having him help create the Gamma Corp.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually introducing Mr. Fix It could be a lot of fun.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    From a production standpoint, it would be immense. It would probably be a bigger project than Avengers... not 100% certain about that though. To have nearly an entire CG Hulk movie w/ an entirely alien cast - THAT would cost a lot. I can understand why even Marvel/Disney would sweep that aside.
    What a lot of shit. How's mo capping hulk different from ultron? Do you think the actually lifted a big city into the sky. Don't be an idiot.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Don't be rude Mike. The studio clearly can't afford it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I really didn't enjoy the Hulk/Black Widow shit in the movie.

Banner turns into the Hulk if he becomes aroused? He can't rub one out? What if he blows his load while dreaming?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I really like the pairing of Hulk & Black Widow, largely because of how messed up their lives have been in comparison to the other characters...

They seem like two characters who would 'get' eachother...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Also I should put this here...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I really like the pairing of Hulk & Black Widow, largely because of how messed up their lives have been in comparison to the other characters...
    I don't have a problem with Hulk and Black Widow being romantically linked. I just thought the "If I get aroused I might HULK OUT" explanation was terrible.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that not the same explanation from the Ed Norton movie?

Alf
    Christ, imagine an aroused hulk. Imagine it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TraXX View Post
    Is that not the same explanation from the Ed Norton movie?
    yes

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Christ, imagine an aroused hulk. Imagine it...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure it's not that Banner will suddenly develop a giant green penis if he's having sex, it's that he doesn't want to get that intimate with somebody in case for some other reason he loses it and hurts them, and he definitely doesn't want to have children and wind up Hulking up on them.

Or maybe if he has a moment of pure happiness he loses his soul. It is Whedon.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Isn't he always angry? So he would have to stay in control of himself at all times...
    Theoretically, he couldn't get too passionate or rough in bed, and that would be a constant concern...

Also, I'm not entirely convinced Black Widow isn't becoming close with Banner for the sake of the team. That's very much been her lot in life; she was the one who was sent by Shield to recruit him because he responds to females. It's hard to say one way or the other. Black Widow herself might not be entirely sure...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; May 15th, 2015 at 3:35 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He could always Hulk Off into a cup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't he always angry? So he would have to stay in control of himself at all times...
    Theoretically, he couldn't get too passionate or rough in bed, and that would be a constant concern...
    That's pretty much what I meant. He's always angry, so he cannot trust himself to be passionate and close to people like he'd have to be in a committed relationship or family.

Also, I'm not entirely convinced Black Widow isn't becoming close with Banner for the sake of the team. That's very much been her lot in life; she was the one who was sent by Shield to recruit him because he responds to females. It's hard to say one way or the other. Black Widow herself might not be entirely sure...
    That would be an interesting direction to take it. If Banner found out he'd go mental, naturally, and for Widow she could be conflicted by actually caring for him but worrying her main attraction to him is that she knows he has to keep her at some distance.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    And Widow has her own monster inside of her. She was taught to lie, spy, seduce and kill from a very young age. They both have to keep people at a distance. It's interesting how much the characters are kindred spirits...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. I was never a big fan of Hulk/Banner, I find the basic character a bit dull to be honest, but his portrayal in the Avengers films and this relationship with Widow has me caring about him.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The TV show was such a critical piece of my childhood that I can't help but love Hulk. The Bana movie was a snoozer and the Norton movie was maybe a level better. What has me caring about Hulk is that Ruffalo seems to have done his homework and he actually dresses, talks and feels like a modern Bill Bixby playing Banner.

The way Hulk is written and animated is also world's better which helps but Ruffalo has managed to access my sentimental connection to the character in a way which hasn't been done before.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Norton movie was fine because it didn't try to be anything beyond Hulk smashing shit. That's all a Hulk movie should be.

I did love the comic frame bit in the shitty Hulk movie, but that's all there was to like in that.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Mark touching the baby carriage when he talks about no one gets what they want sold him for me. I wanted to see Ed Norton with the rest of the All Stars, but Mark is so great that I am glad he is not there. Banner should be a small, scruffy and not leading man material. Still, I want Mark to get his time to shine same goes for Scar Jo.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw this tonight. I didn't think it was that great. It wasn't bad, but it's not close to the first one, nor did I think it was anywhere near as good as Winter Soldier or Guardians. Definitely better than the last Thor movie, though.

My big problem is it felt really jumbled with all the characters. Having Ultron be introduced in this film, as well as Wanda and Pietro (for all intents and purposes), as well as the birth of Vision just left everything feeling overcrowded to me. I also didn't really like how flippant and goofy Ultron was. Seemed a weird way to go with the character. I did think, however, they did a great job of fleshing out Hawkeye. I really enjoyed his stuff. The Banner/Widow stuff was also solid. It's high time Ruffalo got a go in his own standalone Hulk movie.

I also didn't think the action sequences were all that great. The Hulk vs Hulkbuster Armor scene was very cool, but otherwise I was kind of underwhelmed by everything else.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Doesn't Universal own the rights to a solo Hulk film?

Alf
    They do indeed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But still canon. Like the next Spider-Man. They have the rights to distribute the film should Marvel choose to make it. Marvel has the film rights to the character and the rights to make a film with that character, Universal has the rights to that film's distribution should the movie be made. In order to get Hulk rights back from Universal, Marvel gave them the right to distribute Hulk in perpetuity. This was years before Disney bought Marvel so Marvel didn't care then. Nowadays, Disney doesn't want to share the wealth with Universal. Marvel could do another deal with Netflix.

"Planet Hulk" - 8 episodes. Done.

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do people want to see Planet Hulk so badly? It's a great comic that would end up looking like a lame computer animated cartoon a la the Green Lantern movie if they tried to do a live action version of it. And there's already a cartoon version that kind of sucked, anyways.

Give me a Hulk/Banner vs. Leader movie over Planet Hulk any day.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me Hulk vs. Brock.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany

Nice
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    palestine
    I'm really looking forward to seeing Avengers 2 a week on Sunday as we've finally managed to arrange a sitter. Having said that, with some of the average reviews I'm seeing and the knowledge that there are so, so many more movies still to come, I have to admit a little Superhero movie fatigue is creeping in now.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This movie is going to be huge. Only thing they could do that would be bigger is if they ever manage to get the rights to do an Avengers/X-Men movie.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Avengers/Star Wars/Fast & Furious crossover would be even bigger

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping Marvel/Disney would swipe Wolverine away from Fox at some point, but we can only dream since Jackman is finished essentially. They would have done the character so much more justice, and would have been able to put him in the dang costume to boot.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    https://mobile.twitter.com/GMA/statu...429568/video/1

Not a very exciting trailer personally. Got a bit more stoked near the end. I know they have said that infinity wars will act as a finale of sorts and to expect a couple of main character deaths. I know the sequel title isnt being released until after the first movie due to it spoiling a major character death but I would say based on preview alone

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virmicious View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/GMA/statu...429568/video/1

Not a very exciting trailer personally. Got a bit more stoked near the end. I know they have said that infinity wars will act as a finale of sorts and to expect a couple of main character deaths. I know the sequel title isnt being released until after the first movie due to it spoiling a major character death but I would say based on preview alone

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks good

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    OH YA FUCKER!!!!

That looks bloody excellent.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geeking out so much watching that trailer. Cant remember being this excited for a movie so far in advance.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    Geeking out so much watching that trailer. Cant remember being this excited for a movie so far in advance.
    The last Jedi.
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno. It looks great, but I remember being far more excited after watching the Force Awakens trailer.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely more excited for Star Wars, but that's not really fair.

Trailer looks great. The last shot was the best.