Thread: News and Notes: Video Game Edition

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    You are both dead to me.
    I'll cut you, sunshine. And we had the better magazines.

Out
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved the C64 and the Spectrum equally. The kid over the road had an Amstrad 464. What a wanker.

Legend
    RFF Championship Winner. All time record RFF goalscorer. #111
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Because I've never owned a Nintendo and I thought it might be interesting to try one. Their price point for entry is usually pretty low and you'd assume that they've learned a few things from the failure of the Wii U. I know that they don't usually have a great launch lineup but that tends to be the case for most systems nowadays.

Prices for electronics are so stupidly cheap now that buying a new system isn't necessarily a huge investment. The PS4 cost less than the Commodore 64 did.

Indeed. I was looking over an old Amiga Power magazine the other day and the costs for an Amiga 1200 back then was pretty mental - over £700 with a few games.

The Wii U was the first Nintendo system I didn't buy since the NES. Obviously I'm getting older and have "responsibilities" now, and I barely play the PS4 outside of FIFA Pro Clubs (but I will be buying Uncharted 4). It'll need something majestic to get me investing again.

Legend
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Yeah the Saturn was a piece of shit. Sega was all over the place for a while with a bunch of half assed and half thought out ideas. The Sega CD and then the 32x add ons. Then the Saturn. The Dreamcast was a badass little system but after three straight failures people didn't want to give it a chance. Sega had lost their anti Nintendo position to Sony and Sony was kicking ass with a massive software lineup for its PSOne. So the Dreamcast was fucked from jump street really. Although it was a massively powerful system for its day and even had online functionality years before it was the norm.
    The Dreamcast was a superb machine and still holds up today. I maintain that the Shenmue games were two of the best ever made on any format. Around the time of the Mega Drive, SEGA was definitely seen as the cooler option, but I stuck with my beloved Nintendo throughout. I tended to buy old consoles off my mates with a shitload of games as soon as the newer one came out, so I got a Saturn with about 20 games in 1998/9 for about 30 quid and had a field day. Once a retro gamer, always a retro gamer.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    zimbabwe
    SNES is still my favourite machine ever, followed by the PSX. But I imagine everyone's favourite consoles are the ones they had between the ages of probably 8-16 regardless of whether they were critically acclaimed or not.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tag champ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    demrepcongo
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    SNES is still my favourite machine ever, followed by the PSX. But I imagine everyone's favourite consoles are the ones they had between the ages of probably 8-16 regardless of whether they were critically acclaimed or not.
    I was just thinking I've probably played Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and Donkey Kong Country more than any other game.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ireland
    I am a fan of Meg Turney.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    The Dreamcast was a superb machine and still holds up today. I maintain that the Shenmue games were two of the best ever made on any format. Around the time of the Mega Drive, SEGA was definitely seen as the cooler option, but I stuck with my beloved Nintendo throughout. I tended to buy old consoles off my mates with a shitload of games as soon as the newer one came out, so I got a Saturn with about 20 games in 1998/9 for about 30 quid and had a field day. Once a retro gamer, always a retro gamer.
    i have one still. crazy taxi was amazing when you first saw it. you could have 6 men in the ring or something in the WWE game, it was jaw dropping, for me, at the time

i remember a few years back there were stats on what operating system (or something) people viewed rajah on, and there was like a 0.0018% that used a dreamcast. kudos to whoever that was

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the older brother of my buddy George used to play Madden online all the time on Dreamcast. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Dreamcast the first home console that could do that or were you able to do it on PS1?

I don't use tissues -- Or my sleeve -- I don't use napkins -- Or any of these
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    i have one still. crazy taxi was amazing when you first saw it. you could have 6 men in the ring or something in the WWE game, it was jaw dropping, for me, at the time

i remember a few years back there were stats on what operating system (or something) people viewed rajah on, and there was like a 0.0018% that used a dreamcast. kudos to whoever that was
    I used to play Crazy Taxi for hours at my friends house. I still get those Bad Religion and Offspring songs stuck in my head to this day.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    you could have 6 men in the ring or something in the WWE game, it was jaw dropping, for me, at the time
    It was actually 9 men in the ring. Even today we're restricted to no more than 6, which shows how mental it was back then.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

From these we can see Middle-earth: Shadow of War is slated for PS4 and Xbox One on August 22, was once again developed by Monolith, and will see the return of the Nemesis system. This time, our heroes will “confront the full power of the Dark Lord Sauron and his ringwraiths”, apparently. Players will “forge a new Ring of Power and dominate Mordor” with their own orc armies.

There’s a $99 Gold Edition of Middle-earth: Shadow of War which comes with four expansions and a gold war chest. There are two Nemesis expansions called Slaughter Tribe and Outlaw Tribe, which add “a new Orc tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates and a Mythic Gear Set”.

The other two expansions are called Blade of Galadriel and The Desolation of Mordor. These are new story campaigns for Middle-earth: Shadow of War, with additional playable characters, abilities, side missions, enemies and allies.
    Last edited by OD50; February 27th, 2017 at 7:24 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    The cover to the Gold edition is pretty interesting, i see Sauron in the middle with Gollum and the Balrog on the left side. On the right side there's a cave troll and a dragon. No idea who the girl on the left and the black guy on the right are. Girl looks like she'd be either an elf or a ranger though. The tower on the left looks like Barad-Dür for sure, no idea what the one on the right could be. Angmar? Dol-Guldur? Gundabad? Minas-Morgul? No idea.

a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Very pleased to see this. Did not expect much from Shadow of Mordor and it turned out to be absolutely brilliant.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I've had SoM for quite a while but haven't gotten around to play it yet. It looks really good but also very monotonous, orcs, orcs, orcs and then some more orcs. Seems like the entire game takes place exclusively in Mordor as well. Not saying the game is monotonous, just that it kind of looks that way. Will definitely have a go at it when I get the time though. Need to play through it before Shadow of War at least, seems like that will be released this August.

Out
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah same here, I've had it in my backlog for a while and this might push it to the front of the queue. Just finishing off Fall of Cybertron for the fifth time first.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    It's far from canon and some would probably hate it, but if you're going to make interesting games you really have to stretch the limits of canon here and there as long as it isn't something that's completely not plausible. I kind of like the sound of Celebrimbor trying to forge another ring to combat Sauron and the One ring, if anyone could, it would be Celebrimbor right?

"Blade of Galadriel" sounds interesting as well.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I'm kind of confused on the timeline of this game, I've read that Shadow of Mordor takes place between The Hobbit and LOTR (so, some time between T.A 2941 and T.A 3001-3019) but in the SoW trailer (which I assume takes place after SoM) we see Sauron in physical form, which he never regained after The Last Alliance in S.A 3441, and also Minas Ithil being sacked (and turned into Minas Morgul), which happened in T.A 2002 (roughly 1000 years before Hobbit/LOTR). I guess it could all be flashbacks and stuff, maybe playing the first game would explain some of it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Didn't know where this should go.

Anyone play through That Dragon, Cancer?

Won the games for impact award and it is really quite an experience. It's a point and click type game for the most part following the main developer with his family and their struggle for their youngest son and his battle with cancer.

Really opens your eyes and is a tough story, but one that was beautifully told. It's an emotional story, but it is a story that definitely needed to be told.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Anybody keeping abreast of JonTron's self destruction?

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go on

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've read, he's jumped aboard the "white genocide is real" train.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    He is a fucking mess.

I don't use tissues -- Or my sleeve -- I don't use napkins -- Or any of these
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...mini-this-year

Oh man. I cannot WAIT to not be able to afford this after low supplies raise the price to $600 on amazon and ebay.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already own a SNES, and have access to SNES games via emulation on 10 different other consoles and handhelds, but this is still something I'll have to buy. Hands down my favourite console of all time.
    I wouldn't even have to consider the games list. There's just so much depth in the library. Mario World, Mario Kart, Super Metroid, Megaman X, Contra 3, Donkey Kong Country's, Final Fantasy's, Zelda LttP, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Street Fighter 2, Final Fight, Super PunchOut.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ireland
    FF9 Out for PS4 now

Legend
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    Shenmue 1&2 being rereleased on PS4 & Xbox. Time to wank.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm gonna be getting that. Especially since it's only gonna be $30 in the US for both. Never got the chance to play Shenmue 2, and I lost my copy of Shenmue 1 along with my Dreamcast that was stolen. So I'm fucking pumped.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was finally able to get my hands on the new Spider-Man game. Incredible. Takes me back to the PS2 version of Spider-Man 2 mixed in with some Infamous. Just a great game. He's always been an easy game to put together, the guy crosses over so many different times that every villain imaginable is part of his story as well.

Still not better than Punisher for X-Box