User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek thread

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Superbowl trailer for Into Darkness. I think Cumberbatch is going to be immense in this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Looks dope. How do they expect people to not root for Cumberbatch?

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never actually been excited for a Star Trek movie before, but that looks absolutely fantastic.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I really can't wait for this. Plus, Carol Marcus is a babe.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Brilliant.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CANT WAIT

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was all set to sarcastically go "meh" to the trailer to be a shithead, but fuck me that looks incredible.

With all the fanboy speculation about Khan and Gary Mitchell, if JJ actually comes through with an original and brilliant villain, that will better than either of those two could have been. Khan would have alienated some and Gary Mitchell is a boring sod who uses the force.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Trailer looks amazing. If Abrams does this with Star Wars I may jizz myself cor the rest of my life.

I am also loving this version of Kirk. The part is nailed and throw in Cumberbatch for good measure.

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seeing into darkness tonight

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Just got back from seeing it. Loved it. Cumberbatch is fantastic.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate you Grimario.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Saw the trailer when I took the big lad to see Iron Man on Monday, I didn't really enjoy the first film and I wasn't excited about this one really...

But bloody Hell the trailer looked amazing, the lad (8) turned to me and said 'Dad we ARE seeing that.'

Cumberbatch is outstanding in Sherlock Holmes and it looks like he's going to knock it out of the park here as well.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cumberbatch is already on the rise, but this will be a huge catapult for him.

I'm seeing this on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing the dynamic between Pine and Quinto yet again. The reviews have been favourable so far, but I'm staying away from them as I'm pretty sure I've come across a massive spoiler (my own fault admittedly, but it was meant to be a non-spoiler review). Apparently there's a big spoiler lurking on IMDB, so I'd avoid there as well.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Is this another one of those movies the UK is getting before the US?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Everyone is getting this movie before the U.S. much like Iron Man 3.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Time to nuke the world. That will show them.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't tell me Canada got it before US...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    No no. US is safe. Canada is nuked on principle

South mexico is spared for being the best mexico.

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was ok

cumberpatch was awesome though

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw it tonight, bloody marvelous.

How they've managed to keep the big reveal a secret I have no idea.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Not when I saw it. That could have been because it was a midday session and there were only about 20 people there though...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goddamn it. Now I want to click those. I may have to stay away from my computer for the next week.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    Goddamn it. Now I want to click those. I may have to stay away from my computer for the next week.
    Click it. You know you want to.

Alf
    Really enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought it was excellent. Bigger than the first film, without sacrificing substance or being overly excessive.

The first film was a big spectacle - it wasn't low-brow by any means, but not particularly intelligent from start to finish. It was just a big fun sci-fi movie. Into Darkness found time for ethical questions in amongst the action and humour, and that brought it much closer in line with the kind of stories Trek told on television.

Huge plot spoilers contained below - don't read if you haven't seen it.

Last edited by Chris; May 12th, 2013 at 6:07 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back from seeing it. Bloody excellent. Much better than the first, which I by no means thought was a bad film.

Also, for those wondering, its still lens-flare-ific. But I have no doubt that Abrams will do wonderful things with Star Wars too now.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just back from seeing it. Really enjoyed it. Will post more about it tomorrow, however...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, read spoilers. The decision to do it came after reading a review that talked about how it could upset longtime Trekkies. Kind of glad I did, as I'd much rather my nerd rage not go off like in Iron Man 3 and knowing softens it, opening my mind up in advance.

Also decided to spoil myself after I got Skyped by a certain mod here a bit last night that, while not an explicit spoiler, basically told me. Especially when I replied that I was avoiding spoilers and there was five minutes without a reply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw the first one recently and wasn't blown away by it in all honesty. I understand the need to give nods to the past, but all it served to do was remind me about how the original cast were so much better. Really not into this re-boot so far.

Plus the whole story was a bit limp, I thought.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw it. Liked it. I suspect many will hate it, but it did what it wanted to do well while tying into A LOT of Trek history and tidbits. Loved that they ran with Roddenberry's original format of tying stories into modern times. I liked J.J.'s first Trek more, but my opinion of that film skyrocketed on repeat viewing, as I suspect this one will too.

My biggest gripes were:

1. The science was wrong. This was true often in The Original Series and the whole black hole thing was a great nod to that in J.J's first Trek, but there's a bit here where the Enterprise is warping from one system to another that is well far away and it's shown as being mere seconds. I know they had Spock Prime introduce new maths that fucked with Trek science in the first film, but the warping bit bugged me a bit.

2. This was also true of J.J. 1, but the space combat was more flash and show than strategy. Budget constraints used to force Trek combat to deal much more with strategy and that's something I would like to see in future installments.

Very enjoyable summer movie, but the fold out couches in many a Trekkie's parents basements may be flipped over in rage. They'll get over it and, I suspect, like this in time.
    Last edited by Atty; May 16th, 2013 at 3:05 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the Riker maneuver

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did I never notice that? I know each episode from the brief bits of Riker sitting down, but never noticed.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2. This was also true of J.J. 1, but the space combat was more flash and show than strategy. Budget constraints used to force Trek combat to deal much more with strategy and that's something I would like to see in future installments.
    I was more disappointed that we didn't see the Enterprise defend itself in any way - I don't think it fired a single shot, unless I'm remembering it wrong. But we'll maybe see more outright battles in the third film, if they happen to focus on a particular race that popped up in Into Darkness.

I agree with your overall point. I don't think we'll ever see space combat as ambitious as Wrath of Khan, where we had long shots of two starships searching for each other and firing on each other. Nemesis and the Enterprise series were all about ships racing past each other and exchanging fire, and it just gets really boring after a while. The good thing about the original Trek films is that the scale of the Enterprise was respected. When Khan rushes Kirk head-on in the nebula, it takes the Enterprise time to bank and turn away from the Reliant's phaser fire. But as the franchise has gone on, we've had huge ships that can zip about like the Millennium Falcon. J.J. at least seems to have struck a decent balance between the two with the new films.

Alf
    They made a good point that the ships aren't really built from a military perspective, but yeah.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To Alf's point, the first Enterprise was never built for combat in The Original Series. It was always about to be destroyed and overmatched in battle, but Kirk would cheat and outsmart the odds to turn death into a fighting chance to live.

The combat in Nemesis was actually the best thing about that movie. I thought they did that really well until they had Troi cheesily aim with her psycho babble.

Another example of what I mean, while not Trek, is Star Wars. In the original film, the attack on the Death Star was well played out in a manner that everyone in the audience could follow. We knew the goal, what was going on and could follow it (from children to adults, giving it a wider appeal.) Same with the Hoth battle. By Episode III, the visuals were much more impressive but was a bit of a mess with effects for the sake of having effects.

Into Darkness had a huge opening for a "smart battle", where Kirk and company had to outthink the no-win scenario but, aside from one great bit, it wasn't really a focus.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The combat in Nemesis was actually the best thing about that movie. I thought they did that really well until they had Troi cheesily aim with her psycho babble.
    Are you trying to say that shining a torch in Marina Sirtis' face isn't a convincing way of portraying telepathy?

The green nebula background was nice, and having people sucked out of a hole on the bridge was cool, but it was the same kind of battle that we saw over and over again in Voyager and Enterprise. Ships trading shots while flying past each other, sparks flying on the bridge and people shouting about how the shields were down to such-and-such per cent. The battle in Nemesis was the best part of the film only because the film as a whole was stale and morose.

Back to Into Darkness, on further reflection I really really liked Simon Pegg's performance. He was superb in the comic relief department as you'd expect, but he also sold some of the more dramatic or serious scenes as well.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Simon Peggy was a shite comedy relief figure and that the film in general was not especially funny.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this today, and loved it. I had a quibble with the big confrontation, which I'll use to reply to Mik. I thought the interplay between characters was better this time.

I thought the action was really good, and the actors did even better with their characters this round. This is my favorite film thus far this year, and I don't see many that can displace it. We shall see though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I thought Simon Peggy was a shite comedy relief figure and that the film in general was not especially funny.
    I think it was more of where it was placed in the movie.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    To Alf's point, the first Enterprise was never built for combat in The Original Series. It was always about to be destroyed and overmatched in battle, but Kirk would cheat and outsmart the odds to turn death into a fighting chance to live.

Another example of what I mean, while not Trek, is Star Wars. In the original film, the attack on the Death Star was well played out in a manner that everyone in the audience could follow. We knew the goal, what was going on and could follow it (from children to adults, giving it a wider appeal.) Same with the Hoth battle. By Episode III, the visuals were much more impressive but was a bit of a mess with effects for the sake of having effects.

Into Darkness had a huge opening for a "smart battle", where Kirk and company had to outthink the no-win scenario but, aside from one great bit, it wasn't really a focus.
    The original Enterprise fought a lot. The problem for Abrahams and anyone doing space battles is they have no idea what strategy is.
    Last edited by lotjx; May 18th, 2013 at 9:40 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    The original Enterprise fought a lot.
    Yes it did and that just reinforces my point: the original Enterprise was always overmatched. Never presented as a battleship, with Kirk and company having to outsmart the situation at hand.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I absolutely loved it. I say this as a "Star Trek" newbie, having never seen any of the various TV series or movies before the J.J. Abrams one. My take:

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    As an old school fan, I thought it was good.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major plot spoilers:

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Major plot spoilers:

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spoiler tags or gtfo.
    Last edited by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND; May 19th, 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Gees dude, learn to use spoilers...

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee,sorry.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck, you're a dick.

Alf
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Gees dude, learn to use spoilers...
    Why the fuck would you be in here and not expect to see spoilers.

Common sense fuckers, use it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Polite reminders are all thats required lads.

I don't do tricks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't really matter with the Activity Stream, anyway.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Major plot spoilers:

Not just that, but...

Liking it more with time. Need to see it again.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With J.J. off to do Star Wars, I really hope whomever takes over is a proper fan of Star Trek and is able to focus more on exploration than action and Earth. I know that's less marketable on paper, but there is so much to utilize in this alternate universe that they've created, that it would be a shame to see it relegated to a shoot out with the Klingons.

I mentioned this after they first rebooted it and changed the timeline, but I would absolutely love for someone to do a reimagining of The Cage, the original pilot that was rejected for being "too cerebral" with Kirk in place of Pike. The Telosians have become a classic sci-fi design that mainstream audiences, while they won't know who they are, will recognize on a visual level. Their ability to alter the reality around Kirk could make for big action sequences, while he's still trapped away in their menagerie, exploring his character and developed temperament as they examine him. He could literally even fight his own fears and self-doubts, all while in his head. It being a form of torture could play as an allegory for modern times and they could have Spock and company diverted by some threat to the Enterprise (Gorn, Klingons, Romulans, whatever) while Kirk is tested by this unknown species.

If they want to push a relationship between Kirk and Carol Marcus, having her fill the role of the female in The Cage (the Telosians taking both of them) could make for actual development on that front. Not to mention, that The Cage gives a more natural avenue for cameos (Nimoy, Greenwood, some others from Trek past), with it being in Kirk's head. Hell, it could allow for a Shatner cameo, with Kirk talking to his potential future self in his mind, which could be a classic moment of Kirk getting guidance from within.

As is, the new series is really feeling like the second pilot to me after Into Darkness. The Cage/Original Series was smarter and more developed, but Where No Man Has Gone Before/JJ had more of the action the mainstream craves. I think it's very possible to do both. Gene Roddenberry's vision of a brighter future where humanity moves on from its violent ways really isn't what we've seen in J.J.'s version. The terrorist attack at the start of Into Darkness would have had more resonance if that was the type of peaceful world we had been immersed into.

I still like Into Darkness and, after watching the episodes that it drew from, I probably like it more than when I left the theater, but it had many problems, not the least of which was its willingness to abandon the story it was telling for attempted fan service. In the end, the fan service seemed to just irritate fans and their story may have been better served by ignoring what had been told in the past.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene Roddenberry's vision of a brighter future where humanity moves on from its violent ways really isn't what we've seen in J.J.'s version. The terrorist attack at the start of Into Darkness would have had more resonance if that was the type of peaceful world we had been immersed into.
    With the events of the first film, at least there's a logic behind Starfleet becoming more militaristic and more paranoid about security. And with the damage done to Starfleet in both films, there's a case for an all-out conflict with the Klingons in the next movie given that Starfleet would be weaker than it was in the original timeline (and hence the Klingons might be more motivated to come knocking on the front door). But I think the essence of Star Trek works better in a TV show format than a film. First Contact is really the only Trek film that balances action-adventure with the Roddenberry vision of what humanity will become (and that vision was far more cemented in TNG than TOS). Action and spectacle will always be on the menu for the mainstream audience, for better or worse.

Into Darkness spoilers:

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I would actually prefer new stories for the crew instead of rehashing old ones. The whole point of this reboot was to make things new. Instead, it seems to be done to get a young cast which they could have done without getting Kirk and Spock involved. I don't mind the new films and a lot of what happened made sense as far as the Federation goes. Star Trek does work better as a TV show, yet this cast is not going to the small screen unless there is massive checks like a $2 million an episode for each cast member. I would have actually liked if they did what Avengers did and started a TV show out of their movie. Maybe introduce a new crew that was helping them out at times and then do that crew as a show.

I do wish, they would go back to the sense of exploration that Roddenberry envisioned. There was one cool scene in the new film with it, but that was about it. I would like them to do a film about first contact with the Betazoids or the Ferengi or the Cardissans, something we haven't already seen. I also would like to see a Klingon War with sparkles of Romulans, but at the same time having a new race caught in the middle.
    Last edited by lotjx; May 24th, 2013 at 7:16 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First contact with the Ferengi happened in TNG. There was a backlash when they even showed them in Enterprise, despite the crew not knowing who they were. And the Cardassians are mentioned in J.J. 1, so that has probably already happened.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely she is.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's been topless a lot more than that too.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Bought the Blu Ray Original series set. God, I love it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm making my way through season 3 of the TNG Blu-ray. The remastered ships and effects are brilliant. The colour of the uniforms and sets get a new lease of life in HD. The show really does look like it was shot today. If there's one season of TNG that everyone should see, it's season 3. It's filled with classic episodes and one of the best season cliffhangers in TV history.

DS9 is surely going to get the same remastering treatment, especially since the Trekcore fansite has tracked down the original CG assets for the show; making the conversion process far less daunting than it would have been. I imagine it might take them longer to work their magic on the later seasons, given that the show goes on to have episodes with huge fleets of ships shooting at each other.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the new film last night. I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, more a casual viewer. I thought it was fun. I didn't make the connections between Wrath of Khan or the episode people have quoted in here because it's been ages since I've seen Wrath and I'm not sure if I ever saw the episode. With that said, I'm not completely sold on Pine as Kirk. I can't even really say why, I just don't quite believe him for whatever reason. I loved Pegg's Scotty though so perhaps there is no accounting for taste.

Overall it was nothing Earth shattering but I enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    http://comicbookspotlight.wordpress.com/

My review and new under construction website for my pocast is up. Please excuse the mess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally saw this last night, and I really enjoyed it. It was a bit actiony for a Trek movie, and my goodness Abrams needs to tone down the damn lens flare, but all the pieces added up to a solid film. The handling of female and non-American characters could give sociologists a fair amount to chew on, but nothing was too outlandish, and I'm glad the story left room to...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About right there, Mike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like that plan. Perhaps Spock can be in charge of the Enterprise and be torn between returning to help out against the Klingons and sticking around to save Kirk. After everything that happened in Into Darkness, it should be a much tougher moral choice for him to make.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I watched Into Darkness finally.

Really, really enjoyed it. Enjoyed some of the nods to the second film in the original film series. And if my girlfriend can say she liked it, I'd mark that down as a success (she hated Star Trek until I forced her to watch the reboot).

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the first trailer for Star Trek Beyond has dropped:

I have to admit, my immediate reaction was pretty negative. Now it's just bemused. The music and the crash-bang-wallop style from start to finish - you almost think it's a troll against those who were looking forward to the 5 year mission and maybe some questions being asked about humanity or the universe in amongst the fighting. Trek has leaned more towards action ever since the later seasons of Voyager, and I accept that modern Trek movies are going to use spectacle to draw in the masses. But this is pretty full on. The Enterprise got immensely trashed in Into Darkness, and we're basically getting the exact same thing again along with what looks like a starship graveyard and a huge prison that needs breaking out of. It's interesting to see the big focus on the white alien girl, and I wonder if Uhura just gets sidelined again.

Out
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PEW PEW PEW

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    looks shiiiiiiiiit
    TAPS AFF!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus. There really needs to come a time when... shit isn't all about dumb fun. Because that looks fucking stupid as fuck.

That ain't Star Trek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It pains me to say it but it looks pretty poor.

I know the newer films aren't really Trek films, but that looks so far removed from Trek. I don't want to see a film of them running about a planet. Give me them on starships exploring the galaxy and meeting new races. I want to star ships fighting, plus the whole diplomatic side as well. This just looks like an action films (with that terrible music under scoring it) which just happens to be set in the Star Trek universe.

I'll still watch it, but at this moment in time I'm disappointed.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Needs more Jason Statham...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make me wonder what the new series will be like.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's safer to make it a mindless action movie. It's proven to make money. Studio executives have crunched the numbers. They saw that movie with the raccoon and the tree. It's only logical. They would be an enormous risk to try and advance cinema by delving into big budget heady philosophy, sociology, and political science...

What do you say, Kirk?

Last edited by Bill Casey; December 14th, 2015 at 7:34 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were early warning signs when Simon Pegg was talking about how the studio wanted Star Trek to be less Star Trek-y, and that they wanted to make Westerns and heist movies with Trek characters to draw in the non-Trekkers. Yet Justin Lin talked about how he wanted to get back to the roots of exploration and examining humanity, From this trailer, it seems like the studio's idea of examining humanity is to see how many people can be sucked out of a big hole in the ship's hull or burned to a crisp in an explosion. The whole rebranding thing just feels so forced. Make a big space opera action movie and don't call it Star Trek.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Make a big space opera action movie and don't call it Star Trek.
    But brand recognition...

*makes brand unrecognizable*
    Last edited by Bill Casey; December 14th, 2015 at 7:55 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    But brand recognition...

*makes brand unrecognizable*
    So often people bring up the idea that this is safe and normal and just what Hollywood does, because taking a known property and slapping it on something makes it sell more. The thing is, I wonder what their plan is for when the big known properties are milked dry or distorted beyond recognition. Star Trek sells because people remember, and enjoyed, actual Star Trek. What're they going to sell tomorrow?

I'm Spinning Around! sam_elmendorf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm enjoying the movies. I'm surely not the only one out there that loves the Original Star Trek and spin offs and movies to not just enjoy a big movie action packed Star Trek. I think all the cast are perfect for this incarnation of Trek. I want to see the Enterprise in peril, and the cast just enjoying making these movies. Plus, it's just a trailer. Wait till it comes out and than backlash it if it deserves it. Surely this is going to better than Will Smith not being in Independence Day 2 and his look-a-like supposedly his kid coming out next summer.

I also enjoyed Enterprise, so take that as you want.

I'm looking forward to ID:R also!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mike View Post
    The thing is, I wonder what their plan is for when the big known properties are milked dry or distorted beyond recognition.
    Retire on a big pile of money and let other people deal with it...

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's actually on the JPMorgan Chase Christmas Cards.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samelmendorf View Post
    I'm enjoying the movies. I'm surely not the only one out there that loves the Original Star Trek and spin offs and movies to not just enjoy a big movie action packed Star Trek. I think all the cast are perfect for this incarnation of Trek. I want to see the Enterprise in peril, and the cast just enjoying making these movies. Plus, it's just a trailer. Wait till it comes out and than backlash it if it deserves it. Surely this is going to better than Will Smith not being in Independence Day 2 and his look-a-like supposedly his kid coming out next summer.

I fucking loved Enterprise. Dr. Phlox is the fucking best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samelmendorf View Post

I enjoyed Enterprise too, even if the Temporal Cold War nearly ruined it. The episode at the end of season 2 that had the frozen Borg in was great.

ID:R will be much better than this though. My biggest issue is that it looks like they just running around on another planet, give me some actual events happening in space. Even if they full on went and ruined cannon further by hinting at Borg (easily done due to the events of Enterprise and the destruction of Vulcan), or delving further into the Klingon War. They can make a Trek film that will bring in the audience without making a generic space action film, there is definitely the market there for it.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I hate when Star Trek has to use the destruction of the Enterprise to bring people to theaters. However, I think what they are doing is the Gamemasters of Talkisons where they are captured to compete in combat and the first interracial kiss. Its cool seeing a new race and it looks more character driven then plot driven. Patton Oswalt referred to it as Stardians of the Galaxy. Which is what it looks like. My great hope is going to be the new TV show in the fall. Hopefully, they will go back to the TNG universe. There are a ton of great stories that could be told after DS9 and even Voyager.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again. The money show would be the same old universe we know and love but set 50 years or so past the events of TNG/DS9/Voyager where everything has gone to shit and the federation is just about to crumble.

The theme of the show could be reviving the once great federation and restoring order to the now chaotic quadrant.

Perhaps even giving the show a dual theme of what it's like on earth and how that corresponds to what the Enterprise G Is doing. Switching back and forth from the Earth storyline to the Enterprise storyline.

Also I'd like there to be a stronger emphasis on nerdynerd. Nerdynerdynerdnerd. And nerdy spazzy nerd should never nerdynerd dork the how have I ever had sex with a girl.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new show needs a bible of things that must never happen again in a Trek show. No more shuttle crashes. No more transporter mishaps. No more "Crewman and alien get stuck on a planet and have to work together to survive". No more "This is a crucial blow to the Borg, until the next time they pop up". Oh, and no more awful battle dialogue like "Shields down to 60 percent!!!". There are ways of conveying tension and panic without sounding like the main computer.

Give the whole thing over to Ron Moore and set it after the Dominion War where the Romulans and Federation have an uneasy peace while the rest of the quadrant recovers. Whatever it is, they definitely need to get away from 26 episodes - especially if it's another show about a ship travelling through space.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Also I'd like there to be a stronger emphasis on nerdynerd. Nerdynerdynerdnerd. And nerdy spazzy nerd should never nerdynerd dork the how have I ever had sex with a girl.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Star Trek coming out with anything on the eve of Star Wars is like Tom Delonge coming out with news the second Blink 182 + Matt Skiba gives details about their next album.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom DeLonge has just announced his newest music project. Here is the quote from his press release.

"I am happy to announce my new musical beginning with my new band (although really what is a "band"?) which is called New Future Spaceship Sounds. NFSS is proud to release our debut album "Perpetual Supernova" on February 29th 2016. We hope to awaken the vortex demon in the minds of our fans and inspire them to not only be the best people they can be but also to contribute their ideas to our ever evolving concept of fully interactive multi media integrated networks of passionate embarkments.

Peace
    Love
    Space brains

Tom Delonge"

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Remember when A-Rod resigned with the Yankees and announced when the Red Sox where about to win the World Series. Star Trek is A-Rod.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No more "Crewman and alien get stuck on a planet and have to work together to survive".
    But then there'll be no more Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new show needs a bible of things that must never happen again in a Trek show. No more shuttle crashes. No more transporter mishaps. No more "Crewman and alien get stuck on a planet and have to work together to survive". No more "This is a crucial blow to the Borg, until the next time they pop up". Oh, and no more awful battle dialogue like "Shields down to 60 percent!!!". There are ways of conveying tension and panic without sounding like the main computer.

Give the whole thing over to Ron Moore and set it after the Dominion War where the Romulans and Federation have an uneasy peace while the rest of the quadrant recovers. Whatever it is, they definitely need to get away from 26 episodes - especially if it's another show about a ship travelling through space.
    I miss the old timeline. Rebooting for movies is fine, but all it has done long term is make me miss the original timeline. Post DS9/Voyager is a great period to explore and they'd have total freedom to do anything, more so than a reboot of TOS would.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss the old timeline. Rebooting for movies is fine, but all it has done long term is make me miss the original timeline. Post DS9/Voyager is a great period to explore and they'd have total freedom to do anything, more so than a reboot of TOS would.
    Something I think would be really interesting to see would be how they marry the 24th century's level of technology with the early 21st century. We have viewscreen conversations and tricorders and stuff now. Obviously warp travel and transporters are a bit ambitious to imagine us having even in 300-400 years but a surprising amount of 'new' tech in the TNG era is stuff we have now. 3D printers are basically primitive replicators.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was watching DS9 the other day and the kid, Sylas (he's 6) walks in the room and for a second he actually looks up from his tablet and glances at the tv. Some character is holding one of those small touchscreen pads and hands it to Sisko. Sylas looks up and says "oh he has a tablet like mine".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The PADDs are a great example. It's the exactly thing we soon invented, except ours have way better screens.