User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wrestling Retribution Project

Here for the Horsewomen
    Somebody get this freakin duck away from me!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrestling Retribution Project

Will it succeed?

That's the almighty question. What's it all about?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ing-revolution

Wrestling fans are bored.

The same tired production. The same tired storylines. The same tired characters.

As someone once said, "Enough is enough and it's time for a change."

This, our Wrestling Revolution, is that change. The first ever 100% crowd-sourced wrestling promotion created by the fans for the fans. By combining classic wrestling storytelling with the shortened television series structure innovated by networks like HBO, FX, BBC and AMC, our Wrestling Revolution product will be both familiar and entirely new.

Each 12 episode season will tell a complete set of stories, introducing characters that will evolve and grow with each passing season. Take the season long build of shows like THE WIRE or DEXTER and apply it to the basic wrestling model and you have an idea of where we're going.

Every character has a mission, a journey and a reason for stepping into the ring. Some will rise, some will fall -- and you will be there to see it all. With the benefit of a defined start and finish the viewer is guaranteed a complete wrestling storytelling experience.

Each season will culminate in our season finale or supershow, where storylines conclude and start anew, new legends will be forged and lasting memories will be made. Fresh new characters, meaningful themes and wrestling-driven storylines with a beginning, middle and end. What a novel concept!

Produced by Jeff Katz, the Wrestling Revolution will be based in Los Angeles, California and streamed in high quality worldwide via our featured distribution deal with Justin.TV.
    They've started to announce their roster one by one each day Monday thru Friday this week. The roster looks like it's going to be very diverse. So far announced are Scott Colton, Len Olsen and Ken Doane, also known as Colt Cabana, Dr. Wagner, Jr. and KENNY! Dykstra respectively. This seems to be getting a decent amount of internet buzz so I thought why not discuss?

http://www.wrestlingrevolutionproject.com/

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty interesting, ill watch kenny and colt for sure. Always wanted to see dr. Luther too but never got around to it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Watched a trailer for this quite a while ago and it looks pretty exciting.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the idea, I just wonder how plausible it is.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between this & the 80s wrestling drama pilot picked up by NBC, it's going to be interesting to see how "sports entertainment" is going to be portrayed in the mainstream in the next year or 2. I just like Katz's mindset. He's not afraid of failure and seems to have a decent amount of backing financially and fan wise. For those who want to hear him talk more in depth, he did an interview on Kick Out Wrestling's podcast about a month or so back discussing the whole matter and his relation to wrestling.

I also think the buzz will continue depending on who he gets for the show. I'm not expecting the Rock or anything, but it seems the diversity of the show will be intriguing.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To close out the week, just added on:

Alex Reynolds of NYWC and Kenny Omega

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekWeek
    CASTING WRP - DAY 6

Hassan Assad, best known to wrestling fans as MVP.

From his long run on national television in America to his recent success in Japan, Hassan Assad continues to show that - with due respect to F. Scott Fitzgerald - there are indeed second acts in American lives. Remaking himself at a level that would make the Count of Monte Cristo dizzy, Assad has emerged from a childhood of crime and incarceration to right his life and find his true path and purpose inside the squared circle. Working his way from independents to developmental to national television, Assad - now performing as "Montel Vontavious Porter" - burst onto the scene as a knowing commentary on Terrell Owens and modern professional athletes. With an in-ring style heavily influenced by Japanese legends like Masahiro Chono, Assad has proven to be a true student of the game. It was this hardcore passion for the wrestling business that took him to Japan, where he now continues to star for New Japan Pro Wrestling as their first ever Intercontinental Champion. From making music to appearing in the cult classic film MACGRUBER, he continues to showcase his increasingly diverse set of talents. It's those same talents that will make Hassan Assad a major player in WRP.
    http://www.geekweek.com/2011/08/cast...ion-day-6.html

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Hassan Assad? I had no idea.

Cool anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this a lot. Will be watching.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CASTING WRP - DAY 7

Sam Johnston, best known to wrestling fans as Sami Callihan.

Dubbed "The New Horror," 24 year old Sam Johnston - wrestling as "Sami Callihan" - has terrorized the independent scene across the United States over the last several years. An Ohio native, Johnston has emerged as a fast-rising prospect working for promotions including ROH, DG:USA, CZW and EVOLVE. Merging his personal love of horror culture with his innovative in-ring skills, Johnston has demonstrated a range of potential that is, in a word, scary. Now joining the cast of WRESTLING REVOLUTION PROJECT, Sam Johnston stands poised to frighten and entertain for some time to come.

http://www.geekweek.com/2011/08/sam-...han-has-t.html

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fucking amazing news there.

IT'S TIME
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is getting very interesting. MVP is a huge get for them, plus interested to see his new character.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just curious cause I've never got to see Dr. Wagner. And I'm intrigued as I've only seen limited work from Callihan.

PS, I only want to watch this if Kenny Omega brutalizes little girls.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he could convince Hassan to come back to the business too.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekweek

CASTING WRP - DAY 8

Dara Daivari, best known to wrestling fans as Shawn Daivari

Often typecast in the stereotypical heel wrestling role of "terrorist" or "sheik," Shawn Daivari is, in actuality, a walking example of the American dream. A native of Minneapolis, Minnesota, he was born to Iranian immigrant parents who came to America in an effort to give their family a chance at a better life. As a boy, Daivari was quick to fall in love with American professional wrestling, growing captivated by stars like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart. Inspired by his television heroes, Daivari soon jumped into the business himself, wrestling his first match at only age 15. He'd quickly become a natural in the ring, soon working his way across the independents and ultimately launching a successful career that would see him wrestling on national television for several years across multiple promotions. Often handcuffed by a seemingly ongoing case of creative jingoism, Daivari has long yearned for the opportunity to show a more representative side of his character. That opportunity comes at last in WRP.

You can follow Daivari online at his website.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he could convince Hassan to come back to the business too.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekweek

CASTING WRP - DAY 8

Dara Daivari, best known to wrestling fans as Shawn Daivari

Often typecast in the stereotypical heel wrestling role of "terrorist" or "sheik," Shawn Daivari is, in actuality, a walking example of the American dream. A native of Minneapolis, Minnesota, he was born to Iranian immigrant parents who came to America in an effort to give their family a chance at a better life. As a boy, Daivari was quick to fall in love with American professional wrestling, growing captivated by stars like Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart. Inspired by his television heroes, Daivari soon jumped into the business himself, wrestling his first match at only age 15. He'd quickly become a natural in the ring, soon working his way across the independents and ultimately launching a successful career that would see him wrestling on national television for several years across multiple promotions. Often handcuffed by a seemingly ongoing case of creative jingoism, Daivari has long yearned for the opportunity to show a more representative side of his character. That opportunity comes at last in WRP.

You can follow Daivari online at his website.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    i don't really get this concept, will the show have wrestling or will it be more of a docu about wrestlers?

or a mix?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a wrestling show, shot like an episodic tv show.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    sounds very different, but i still don't get how it will work. is it going to be like the wrestler, where matches are split with stuff that has happened backstage ect?

im just can't see how it will look?

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, I think it's going to be where the XFL was going with in their product.

And the newest addition to the roster:
    Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.geekweek.com/2011/09/casting-a-wrestling-revolution-day-9.html"
    Geekweek[/URL]]
    CASTING WRP - DAY 9

Emil Sitoci

Spoiler for Pic Size

The son of a Turkish national champion boxer and a Dutch national gymnastics champion (and Olympic competitor) mother, Emil Sitoci has athletics in his blood. Trained as a child in both judo and gymnastics, Sitoci quickly combined his athletic skills with a love of professional wrestling and set off on a career inside the squared circle. Debuting for Netherlands-based FCW at only 17 years old, Sitoci quickly found himself rising through the ranks of the European wrestling scene. He would soon come to America, where he would study under the tutelage of Chris Hero who would go on to dub Sitoci, "The Tremendous One." He would then return to Europe, capturing championship gold for the WXW promotion. While battling opponents in the ring, Sitoci continued to educate himself earning a Masters degree in Film & Television Sciences. Competing in locales ranging from Africa to France to Germany on down, Sitoci continues to display the in-ring intellectual curiousity that has made him one of the most diverse wrestling talents in the world. He now stands poised to return to America and make his biggest mark yet as a member of the WRP cast.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freakin Deacon...

CASTING WRP - DAY 10

Drew Hankinson best known to wrestling fans as Luke Gallows.

Standing 6 feet 7 inches and weighing in at nearly 300 lbs, Drew Hankinson was seemingly born for the world of professional wrestling. A Maryland native, Hankinson started his career in the independents of West Virginia and Pennsylvania, but soon found himself signed and working his way through the developmental ranks at Deep South Wrestling. He would quickly go on to make his national television debut in 2006 and would continue to be a television regular until 2010. Heading out on his own, Hankinson soon found himself in Japan working for Antonio Inoki's IGF, while also taking on several tours of Africa. It was in Africa, in fact, where Hankinson recently made headlines after he and his crew were stranded following the embassy bombings in Nigeria. Now, thankfully, safely home at last, Hankinson stands ready to conquer the world of WRP.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, WWE in fewer episodes with less talent?

...Charmed?

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 words: fuck. yes.

CASTING WRP - DAY 11

Fergal Devitt, best known to wrestling fans as Prince Devitt.

Starting his career at only 18 years old, Ireland's Fergal Devitt has quickly gained a reputation as one of the finest performers in all the wrestling world. After cutting his teeth in the United Kingdom, Devitt would come to America where he was swiftly discovered by scouts from the U.S. branch of New Japan Pro Wrestling. Impressed by his obvious potential, New Japan invited Devitt to train full time at their Santa Monica, CA based dojo. His work would continue to gain esteem, resulting in another invitation to further continue his training at the primary New Japan dojo in Tokyo. Finally, in April of 2006, Devitt made his official New Japan debut, becoming a full time member of the roster. To say that Devitt is delivering on his potential for New Japan would be a gross understatement, as the 2010 "Best of the Super Junior" winner already boasts a reign as Junior Heavyweight Champion as well as five reigns as Junior Tag Team Champion on his rapidly growing resume. Now widely considered one of the best in-ring performers in the business, Devitt will return to America once again -- this time as a member of WRP.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Awesome.

/Let's see..

Kenny Omega
    MVP
    Prince Devitt
    Festus
    Shawn Daivari
    Colt Cabana

Liking it so far.

Never seen this 'New Horror' guy. Is he any good?
    Last edited by OD50; September 5th, 2011 at 12:46 PM.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh shit!

That's his first gig outside of Japan since he went there to begin. That's a big deal.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yes.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cewsh View Post
    Oh shit!

That's his first gig outside of Japan since he went there to begin. That's a big deal.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUH3JQjcweM"]Shit Just Got Real HD - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by JRSlim21; September 5th, 2011 at 12:57 PM.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This whole cast has been spot on every step of the way.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fuck yea, really excited to see kenny

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Dykstra?

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hellz yea

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Awesome.

/Let's see..

Kenny Omega
    MVP
    Prince Devitt
    Festus
    Shawn Daivari
    Colt Cabana

Liking it so far.

Never seen this 'New Horror' guy. Is he any good?
    Sami Callihan is one of my favorite indy workers. His stuff in CZW has been shitty, being CZW, but he's shown flashes of incredible potential.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    2011 MVP... Daivari... ok... Omega... Cabana... meh.

GALLOWS AND DEVITT WHAT JESUS CHRIST

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Join The Revolution.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Isn't Justin.tv just a crapper Youtube though, meaning this won't work well online?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justin.tv is a streaming service. Not much like YouTube at all.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Why won't it work well online Rip?

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Everytime I've looked at Justin.tv it's been jerky as hell, I suppose that might have something to do with the source but I'm not that hot on computers tbf.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Streams, as a general rule, aren't super reliable. But the price is right.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    True, but if they're poor it'll turn off the audience, which would be shame because so far this looks full of potential

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well they got my interest

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roster's fairly intriguing to me so far. Now sign Marty Wright goddammit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give it a chance, but I don't really like how they are having everyone use their real names. It just doesn't sound like WRESTLING, if that makes any sense. I think part of the appeal of normal wrestling promotions is that it's a never ending story.

But...they did follow me back as soon as I started following them on Twitter so they can't be that bad.

Terrible at Sudoku
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't under the impression that they would be using their real names, but that they were only highlighting the names to showcase the performers behind the characters they have previously portrayed.

Hopefully you're wrong. Even so, it won't be a terrible thing to call people by their names. UFC seems to do well enough with it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I think (hope) they will have proper ring names, they're probably just presented for the project with their real names.

I'm hoping that this won't resemble The Contender where matches were edited and had music/sound effects added to them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just asked on Twitter. Let's see if I get a response.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting....

CASTING WRP - DAY 12

Ben Muth

A former starting left tackle for Stanford - where he majored in political science - Ben Muth brings a host of unique talents to the WRP table. Appearing in 26 games for the Cardinal, including two seasons under current San Francisco 49'ers head coach Jim Harbaugh, Muth would ultimately earn first team All Pac-10 honors in 2008. He would go on to sign with the NFL's San Diego Chargers as an undrafted rookie before an injury ended his nascent professional football career. Seeking a change of scenery and a new start, Muth traveled to Calgary, Alberta, Canada where he began his professional wrestling training under the expert tutelage of the highly respected Lance Storm. Now setting out to begin his wrestling journey in full, Ben Muth has arrived - a man of both brawn and brains - in WRP.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh shit. Now that's an interesting signing. That's the first guy they got that WWE might really have their eye on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I wasn't under the impression that they would be using their real names, but that they were only highlighting the names to showcase the performers behind the characters they have previously portrayed.

Hopefully you're wrong. Even so, it won't be a terrible thing to call people by their names. UFC seems to do well enough with it.
    Everything I've read on their Twitter suggests that the real names will be used. And I know we're past the days of kayfabe, but I really don't like my wrestling product presented as a TV show, with a "cast". Are there going to be credits at the beginning and end of the show?

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know they were looking at a couple of Storm's students. Was he 1 of the ones used on Smackdown the other day?

Btw, an oldie but goodie (done via my phone):

Jonathan Figueroa, best known to wrestling fans as Amazing Red

Born in Puerto Rico and currently living in Brooklyn, New York, Jonathan Figueroa has garnered widespread acclaim over the past decade as the high-flying "Amazing Red." After starting his career on his home island, Figueroa soon became a sensation on the American indpendent scene. He was quickly signed to the initial TNA roster in 2002 where he would go on to become a three time X Division Champion. He would also go on to compete for promotions including ROH and All Japan Pro Wrestling. Following a three year retirement from the ring - where he would begin training a new generation of performers at the House of Glory school - Figueroa has re-emerged better than ever before. Now writing a new chapter in his own wrestling story, Jonathan Figueroa stands ready to make his voice heard loud and clear in WRP.*

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    So, is there any footage on this Ben Muth character or is he a total complete wrestling noob? He must have had a couple of matches previous, or..?

How the hell do you pronounce 'Muth' by the way? Like a filthy dog, 'mut' or maybe like 'mute', or even 'moth'?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muh-th, I believe.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Word of "Mu-th."

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnny Devine recommended this guy to Katz.

Michael Oberegger, best known to wrestling fans as "Psycho" Mike Rollins

Trained by Johnny Devine, 25 year old Michael Oberegger has quickly gained a cult following across the Canadian wrestling scene as the entertaining (and certifiable) "Psycho" Mike Rollins. An eclectic performer, Oberegger has spent the last four years cultivating a truly unique in-ring style featuring a combination of humor and athletic violence. Further seasoned in training under both Scott D'Amore and Harley Race, Oberegger's work has taken him across the border and into camps for American promotions including ROH and DG:USA. Michael Oberegger now stands poised to break out further as the newest member of the WRP cast.

Also, something to I wonder about. Is there a "booker" or is Katz writing this script for everyone to follow?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boom boom, HUGE news. Not a new cast member, but a producer/agent! Check it:

Quote Originally Posted by GeekWeek.com

A native of Calgary........Alberta, Canada, Lance Storm has run the gamut from being a highly respected in-ring performer to being one of the leading trainers and commentators in the wrestling world today. Following his training under the Hart brothers - where he would learn alongside longtime friend and future tag team partner Chris Jericho - Storm would embark upon an acclaimed career that would lead him through Smoky Mountain and ECW and ultimately make him a national television mainstay during and after the Monday Night War era. Entering semi-retirement in 2004, he would go on to become a prolific wrestling trainer, culminating in the opening of the Storm Wrestling Academy in 2005. The school has earned high praise from wrestling luminaries including Jim Ross, Paul Heyman, William Regal and Steve Austin, even going on to be featured in the Canadian reality television series WORLD OF HURT. He's also developed a strong following with his unique commentary on the business found monthly in the UK's FIGHTING SPIRIT magazine and on his blog. Honest, straightforward and the very epitome of experience, Lance Storm now brings his diverse skill set to the production team of the WRESTLING REVOLUTION PROJECT.
    And if that isn't enough, in about ... 25 minutes, there'll be a live Q&A. I'll be there for it, and you guys can check it out by going to Geekweek if you like.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FUCK. YES.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HOLY FUCK.

That just gave this product so much more credibility in my eyes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still doing questions. Ask them here and I'll ask them to him, and I'll put up all the answers here afterwards.

Fun note, he is a huge puro fan.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm missing the Q&A session as I'm on my way home. I don't even know what to ask. Post any highlights.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ton of stuff to go over, here we go:

CAST NOTES

- 2 more weeks of announcements
    - 20 Wrestlers on cast
    - Stables are no planned, but they are not a forgone conclusion
    - Lots of cameos
    - If a second season, the cast is fluid, so a few will stay, and a few will go
    - He is really big on wanting to break new talent
    - New characters, new rules, it is literally a cast, WRP characters are their own universe and will have no crossover
    - Ben Muth contacted WRP about joining, and he fit a character already written, so he was cast
    - No female division, because he didn't want to half-ass it, but there will be women, though no traditional wrestling women; "No Litas, Trishs, Marias"
    - He will be revealing non-wrestling cast members
    - Characters were written and wrestlers were cast to play those characters
    - CONFIRMED: A masked character, who will talk, and who is a "kind of commentary/satire" of the masked wrestler trope
    - Ken Doane will be playing the character he was born to play, a Cocky Douchebag
    - MVP will be playing 100% against type
    - No Festus character/gimmick
    - Gimmicks in general: Flavor for everything, lots of different stuff from different genres
    - Ted McGinley is signed to play the same character DeVitt is playing, in case there are problems in the future with DeVitt
    - 0% Chance of Matt Hardy
    - No Authority Figures: "I'm sick of fucking authority figures"
    - He very very badly wanted a Japanese character, but "the logistics have been a nightmare" so there will probably not be one

THE SHOW ITSELF

- Lance Storm's duties: Classic wrestling producer/agent role, as well as picking up some television producer stuff as well
    - One hour episodes; The season finale will be a 2+ hour "PPV" style show
    - There will be at least one champion by the end of the season; "Titles are important!"
    - The show will be a recognizably "wrestling" genre show, with tropes and recognizable aspects from all the way back to WCCW to now, but not bullshit like NXT
    - No comment on tag teams or multiple belts
    - Booked like a wrestling show, but written like a television show
    - There are back-up stories written in case of injury or other problems
    - Not everything will be in-ring, BIG "new" idea for the Backstage stuff
    - He alludes to non-in-arena filming for after the 3 days of arena filming
    - Work style: Hybrid, but no ECW shit
    - NOTE: He LOVES Puro, so match quality is very high up on what he wants
    - No Jumbotron, no pyros, a more intimated feeling, though not total house show
    - Existing music as well as new music is being written, with confirmations of Bryan Tyler doing a lot of the originals and Xzibit doing him at least one song as a favor, maybe more
    - Rating: Adult themed and toned, so there will be drugs, sex, cursing, but all in moderation and as "necessary for the story"; no "fuckity fuck fuck fucks"
    - There will be more wrestling per hour than WWE or TNA
    - Editting of the show will be a hybrid of straight matches and editted for specific story spots
    - Organic crowd reactions, for the most part
    - He emphasizes that the crowd is part of the cast, in his eyes
    - Would not confirm/deny gimmick matches
    - PROMISED lots of lariats
    - Projected Airdate is First Quarter 2012
    - Headshots/Chairshots: "I don't see a point"

DISTRIBUTION

- Image Entertainment distributor
    - DVD seasons, Netflix, Justin.tv, as many ways as possible that isn't a network gig
    - DVD season will have lots and lots of extras; "Big believer in outtakes and gag reels"

MISCELLANEOUS

- Entire Season (13 episodes) is funded on 1/6th the budget of a standard Raw
    - Lots of merchandising, with toys, DVDs, apparel, and a decent chance of a video game

- - - - - -

I was already super stoked, but actually talking with the guy, and having him answer my questions (I asked a LOT of stuff, and he answered everything) just gets me even more excited.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, that all sounds amazing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very pumped for this.

- 0% Chance of Matt Hardy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too, fellas. I was sold on the original concept, and the more that gets confirmed, the happier a camper I become.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sold on this now, it sounds amazing. The guy is clearly a wrestling fanatic, so that comforts me. I was worried this was going to be some really, really weird mish mash of a classic TV drama and a wrestling show. It sounds like it will be more like a wrestling show with the best aspects of TV dramas added in to make it stand out. THUMBS UP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He actually worked in WCW as his first "Hollywood" job when he was 17-19. That's Pre-Russo WCW, btw.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's saying all of the right things.

I'm curious how Jefferson Darcy fits into things lol

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Man, this should (hopefully) be great.

Lance Storm.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A dated interview via KickoutWrestling.com with Jeff Katz:

http://kickoutradio.podbean.com/2011...io-episode-60/

And a recent interview from yesterday:

http://breakingkayfabe.podbean.com/2...ution-project/

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This sounds amazing. Consider me in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another gaijin joins the cast, and this guy's got a pedigree it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekweek.com

Chad Allegra, best known to wrestling fans as Karl Anderson

Currently one half of the IWGP and GHC Tag Team Champions, Chad Allegra (aka "Karl Anderson") has made a name for himself as one of the most prominent American performers working in Japan today. Born in Asheville, North Carolina, he would ultimately move to Cincinnati where he would begin training in earnest under the highly respected Les Thatcher and later under BoneKrushers instructor Roger Ruffen. He would spend his early years battling stars such as Jerry Lawler, Abyss and Jimmy Valiant across the midwest and soon catch the eye of New Japan Pro Wrestling, who invited him to train at their Santa Monica based dojo. He would officially debut for NJPW in 2008 and soon find himself teaming with Giant Bernard as "Bad Intentions." The team recently became the longest reigning IWGP Tag Team Champions in history, surpassing the previous record held by Japanese legends Masahiro Chono and Hiroyoshi Tenzan. The duo also recently captured NOAH's GHC Tag Team Championship, giving them a lock on two of the most prestigious titles in Japan. Now a seasoned and respected international competitor, the "Machine Gun" returns to America this October as a member of the WRP cast.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

First truly lame signing.

I know Ringo and DDT are going to come in here and defend him but i've never seen anything in the guy over the years and years he's been working with better talent. He's a decent sidekick at best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why so bad, Cewsh?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewun View Post
    Why so bad, Cewsh?
    I edited in a bit more of an explanation, but he's just a personality void. His work doesn't have any life to it really, he's just sort of what you'd expect by looking at him. He plods through matches, makes the tag to his more interesting partner and calls it a night.

I'm not saying he couldn't have worth as a sidekick, or a bland tag team partner to a more charismatic star. But as far as a first run signing goes, he's the bottom of the list thus far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that him in WRP will allow him to then show personality and do something different. With the unique, WRP-specific characters, this could be just what he needs.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate your optimism, but he's been around for like 10 years featured prominently in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla and New Japan. If personality hasn't shown up yet, I doubt it will.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, fair enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I edited in a bit more of an explanation, but he's just a personality void.
    You wank to Devitt and call Karl Anderson a personality void?

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT View Post
    You wank to Devitt and call Karl Anderson a personality void?
    I don't wank to Devitt, Frosty does.

But even so, Devitt is at least fun to watch. Anderson considers his machine gun thing a full on personality and then wrestles like a Power Plant guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, I guess; I always thought he was an awesome bully who hid behind bigger and better stars than himself; you called him a sidekick, I think he's the ULTIMATE sidekick.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can live with that, but seeing as this promotion currently has zero tag teams, i'm not sure he's suited for it. But hey, they know what they're casting for better than I do. If chickenshit sidekick if something they're looking for they could do worse.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Anderson is bloody great right now. Thought he was terrific in the G1, and he's a smart worker. He gave this pretty cool heartfelt promo after his match with Nakamura where he talked about gaining respect from the japanese fans. Then again I think New Japan's roster is just so fantastic right now with the exception of one or two miscreants. I'm keen to see what he can do in an environment like this.
    Last edited by Ringo; September 12th, 2011 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yano was great in the G-1. FUCKING YANO!!!! I learned he's actually a highly decorated Greco-Roman wrestler; never would have guessed.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Yeah, it was absolutely bizarre. The Tanahashi match at Korakuen was mad. It was like Cena/Punk in Chicago... only, YANO WAS PUNK!

I really enjoyed Inoue in the G1 too. He really brought it.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least Katz was honest about his intentions:

KatzMoney Jeff Katz
    by TheWRProject
    I am thrilled to welcome @machinegunKA to the cast of WRP. Huge talent, plus we are contractually obligated to sign at least one Bengals fan
    For the record, his team is Detroit

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like Karl Anderson a lot more if he dropped the shit he stole from Orton. Same reason I never can get into Sugiura either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He does an anklelock and an Olympic Slam because he was almost an Olympian in judo, so he's a carbon-copy of Kurt Angle?

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He does an anklelock and an Olympic Slam because he was almost an Olympian in judo, so he's a carbon-copy of Kurt Angle?
    He does all the same suplexes too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must have missed that rolling German series he never does.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one example DDT, amigo. It is pretty odd. We're all on Jack Swagger for his Anklelock.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ken Shamrock's ankle lock was the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one example DDT, amigo. It is pretty odd. We're all on Jack Swagger for his Anklelock.

That's slightly different though; Swagger also dresses in the singlet and his entire gimmick, at least at one time, was his amateur credentials making him better than anyone and an American hero. I don't think it was an attempt to re-create Angle as much as seeing what worked with Angle and trying it again with Swagger, but giving him the anklelock seemed deliberate and silly.

Sugiura's whole thing was that he barely missed out on the Olympics, and is kind of bitter about it, so takes it out on everyone else. Using two of the same moves so as to highlight this fact does not make him a copycat, especially since they are nonidentical in virtually any other way; they don't even throw suplexes the same way.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Koji Kanemoto's anklelock is the bestest.

He just stomps your fucking head in while he does it.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's slightly different though; Swagger also dresses in the singlet and his entire gimmick, at least at one time, was his amateur credentials making him better than anyone and an American hero. I don't think it was an attempt to re-create Angle as much as seeing what worked with Angle and trying it again with Swagger, but giving him the anklelock seemed deliberate and silly.

Sugiura's whole thing was that he barely missed out on the Olympics, and is kind of bitter about it, so takes it out on everyone else. Using two of the same moves so as to highlight this fact does not make him a copycat, especially since they are nonidentical in virtually any other way; they don't even throw suplexes the same way.
    But he is copying the moves associated with another Olympic wrestler of note.

Its not even a bad thing neccesarily, but he does do it knowingly.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Koji Kanemoto's is the bestest.

Fixed.

Hell he is the only guy in New Japan that managed to make the fans care about Davey Richards

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those were some fucking kick wars. Whew.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Koji Kanemoto's anklelock is the bestest.

He just stomps your fucking head in while he does it.
    Ok, I might admit defeat. That seems pretty awesome.

Though I'd have to see more of it in action. Good lord it looked like the ankle was going to snap in twain every single time Shammy got ahold of it, which made me love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But he is copying the moves associated with another Olympic wrestler of note.

Its not even a bad thing neccesarily, but he does do it knowingly.
    Yeah, but that's kind of the point; Defrost was making it seem like Sugiura was supposed to be this carbon-copy that was designed to remind you/make you forget about Kurt Angle.

...the Puro Pals just took over a thread that was distinctly not puro.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Kanemoto really hates you, he'll do this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0bJMshzRok"]Cloverleaf Ankle Lock - YouTube[/ame]

OOOOOWWWW

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...the Puro Pals just took over a thread that was distinctly not puro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2v9tDQziFU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2v9tDQziFU[/ame]

Ahhh, video evidence of what Marufuji is good for; getting his ass kicked.

Fun fact: Koji Kanemoto was the one who brought the anklelock into pro wrestling, not Ken Shamrock.