User Tag List

Thread: NASCAR/Auto Racing Thread

STAND IN THE BACK! Last Trent Barreta Fan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NASCAR/Auto Racing Thread

After looking and looking in this site, I noticed that there is no NASCAR or Auto Racing Thread on here!

This is NOT the "I hate NASCAR" thread so don't put any hate comments on here. This is not the discussion thread of whether NASCAR is a sport or not either.

This is the thread to talk NASCAR, Formula One, Indy Car, F3000, ARCA, USAC, World Of Outlaws, or any other auto racing series.

David Cox 1987-2007
    optimistic about his future at Rajah Palace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Tony Stewart still the only interesting person in a field full of corporate robots?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much. Tony still tells people how it is. A couple weeks ago after wrecking somebody for blocking him, he said "If you block me, I'll put you in the wall." I agree, most are corporate robots. Kurt Busch is a great example for this.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Busch likes to blame everyone else on his team whenever there is a problem. That bugs me.

I'm all about the robots. Jeff Gordon is my favourite driver...

We had a NASCAR thread back in the day, it died a quick death due to a lack of interest. It was basically me, and two guys that don't post anymore.

Do you guys have any good travelling late model series in Wisconsin LTBF? My Dad and I follow OSCAAR up here in Ontario. We were toying with a Northern US road trip next summer or the summer after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But when Kurt Busch yelled, it was so the crew would listen. He's tired of having shitty cars and shitty equipment. Dale Jr's radio is just as bad. And I don't blame them. Have you noticed the recent increase of Penske's performance lately? It kind of worked.

As for the late model series in Wisconsin, each track has their own late model/super late model/dirt/dirt modified series. Usually ASA runs a pretty nice show in Wisconsin as well. It all depends on the track you go to. Slinger Speedway in Slinger, Wisconsin, State Park Speedway in Wausau, Wisconsin and Golden Sands Speedway in Wisconsin Rapids usually put on good shows as well.

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    If you've got an itch, just go ahead and Miotch it
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone move this to board games?

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using Dodge is hurting Penske. They have no factory support at all because Chrysler is broke. I get that the equipment was bad and I don't blame any driver for getting revved up on the radio, it's one of the reasons I don't agree with the TV feed being allowed to monitor radio traffic, but out and out blaming your crew and development team on a National TV broadcast is classless. Keep it private.

I'll look those speedways up if we end up near Wisconsin. ASA doesn't come up here anymore.

Can we move Miotch to board games? Seriously, we need more people in that forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with the radio chatter. They really should keep it private.

Miotch, auto racing is a sport, don't even get me started. I've pissed off too many people getting my point across. There's a reason they call it motorSPORTS. Besides, auto racing and extreme sports is the reason ESPN created ESPN2

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NASCAR strategy:

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    by the way I'm done trolling this thread, carry on and I will just pretend it's not here

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this mean you're not joining us in the BG forum?

To me, radio chatter, much like huddle talk and sideline coaching, should be out of the public sphere. I'm not a fan of mic'd up coaches in team sports either. What the team says to each other is between them. Involving the public, and the media in particular, just opens things up to mountain-molehill style stories.

Regarding NASCAR in general, I wish they would add more short tracks. I find them far more exciting than cookie cutter 1.5 mile ovals everyone keeps building. I'm a Saturday night local racing kind of guy though, short tracks are bound to appeal to me.

David Cox 1987-2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty C View Post
    Regarding NASCAR in general, I wish they would add more short tracks. I find them far more exciting than cookie cutter 1.5 mile ovals everyone keeps building. I'm a Saturday night local racing kind of guy though, short tracks are bound to appeal to me.
    Fucking yes. They ought to return to The Rock and give Darlington its second race back.

I want everything to be like the recent past goddamnit

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Rock was class. I hate that they got rid of it and took a race from Darlington but I get the demographics. Too many tracks in the same area. Still, build tracks like that instead of the 100 cookie cutters of Charlotte. Build another Bristol fgs.

My only hope is that with the crowds being down, they won't insist that a track needs to be of a certain size in order to fit 150,000 people. I can only assume that was part of the reason for all the 1.5 mile tracks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely! NASCAR was born and bred from short tracks and hard-nosed tracks like Rockingham and Darlington. North Wilkesboro is another one. Kentucky was so boring I fell asleep. At least with the short tracks, Darlington and Rockingham you had constant action.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know North Wilksboro just sits there now. They literally don't run anything. It's sad man, there was a lot of history there and it was a great track at one time. The lack of the sort excitement that short track racing can bring is just symptomatic of the overall decline of NASCAR to me. They tried to branch out and please too many people and robbed the sport of it's heart and soul.

It's still fun but it just doesn't feel the same to me these days.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danica Patrick is going to run NASCAR full time next season, I think in the Nationwide series. There was an article in my local paper today detailing the "hate" she gets and essentially saying that it was undeserved.

I somewhat disagree. She certainly doesn't deserve some of the cheap shots that people take at her but I also just don't think she's all that good and that she gets by on sponsorship dollars that are delivered to her because of her being female and good looking. She's won once in the IZOD series in the entire time she ran it. She's never seriously been in the championship hunt. And this season she's down-right horrible. Yet she essentially gets a promotion to the more lucrative NASCAR circuit.

Why wouldn't there be some backlash? Paul Menard used to take all kinds of abuse for rising further than his talent level based on his father's sponsorship. Kasey Kahne takes crap for consistently getting good rides despite being horribly inconsistent. Even Dale Jr, the messiah of NASCAR is criticised for constantly getting the best rides despite being mediocre. Why would we expect anything different for Patrick?

Personally, I find all these people getting rides based on connections, looks, etc over performance to be part of what’s wrong with motorsports right now. No longer do we get the best driver. We get the best looking or best spokesperson. It doesn’t seem right to me. It's part of what turned me from being a Dale Jr. fan.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan Wheldon passed away from injuries suffered in a crash in the Indy Car race in Vegas today.

He was 33.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVu7iTf59SQ&feature=player_embedded"][HD] IndyCar 2011 - Las Vegas Big Crash (Dan Wheldon RIP) - YouTube[/ame]

Its in Revelations people Jenova's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Real loss for the sport.

Saw how the car flew into the catch fence, the air box ripped from the car after the wreck and the safety crew covering the car with the tarp I knew it was bad.

Was slated to take over Danica's ride next year.

This is why IndyCar should not be racing on these 1 - 1.5 mile ovals at these speeds with this amount of rookie drivers.

David Cox 1987-2007
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know much about indy or Dan Wheldon but I remember how I felt when Dale Earnhardt died, that strange cold shock and disbelief, and have nothing but sympathy for his fans and family.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I had not heard about this and am pretty shocked. Obviously racing is a dangerous profession but fatalities are less and less common. My thoughts and prayers are with Dan Wheldon's family today. That's very sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never understood how more people don't die in open wheel racing. I feel like they are so exposed in those cars. It's a testament to the safety of the cars that more haven't lost their lives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, uh.... Tony Stewart supposedly killed another driver by running him over on the track, tonight... on purpose.

Once more unto the breach Pipkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really an auto racing guy, but fuck...this seems like pretty big news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipkin View Post
    I'm not really an auto racing guy, but fuck...this seems like pretty big news.
    Deadspin is updating the story as it progresses.

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-ste...ing-1618893708

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video... not pretty.

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-ste...ing-1618893708

The driver, Kevin Ward, has passed away... so if you don't want to watch, it's understandable.
    Last edited by VanillaJello; August 10th, 2014 at 3:26 AM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't follow racing but there seems to be a lot of these confrontations between drivers lately. What Ward did here, at least from the video I just watched, was incredibly stupid. There's a race still going on and he just tries to step out in front of Stewart's car and put up his hand to stop him? Really? I don't know know if Stewart could have stopped or avoided him or if this was "on purpose" like VJ said - it's hard to know when Stewart saw him - but fuck man just wait until the race is over then go punch him in the face or something - don't stand in the middle of race traffic trying to be a badass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    I don't follow racing but there seems to be a lot of these confrontations between drivers lately. What Ward did here, at least from the video I just watched, was incredibly stupid. There's a race still going on and he just tries to step out in front of Stewart's car and put up his hand to stop him? Really? I don't know know if Stewart could have stopped or avoided him or if this was "on purpose" like VJ said - it's hard to know when Stewart saw him - but fuck man just wait until the race is over then go punch him in the face or something - don't stand in the middle of race traffic trying to be a badass.
    Hold on I said "supposedly"...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I follow racing a lot (mostly NASCAR and some Indycar) it's kinda hard to place blame on Stewart, there are conflicting reports stating that he gunned it and ran over the guy or the back of the car kicked out and ended up hitting him. Regardless it was still a pretty boneheaded move Ward pulled. Again, I don't understand why drivers feel the need to wander out into the racing line and flip off the guy that takes them out because stuff like this can happen, if you have an issue, take it up with the driver at the end of the race. It's pretty much a given that this will be a rule in all the major racing series starting now or next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Looks like Tony isn't racing today, Regan Smith is replacing him.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing that really angers me about this (or rather the coverage of this) is that this just happened last night and ESPN's headlines are bout Stewart deciding not to race today and how it's the "Right Decision" and how "Common Sense Prevails" in his decision not to race. Like how about focusing on the actual person who's dead ffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    ESPN are usually notorious for doing things like that. Some of the guys over there are real douchebags.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why focus on the absolute idiot who got himself killed by walking out in front of an indycar race?

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Looks like this Tony Stewart shit is going to a Grand Jury. I didn't think it was that deep.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bump. Anyone into this shit? Got super into nascar and f1 last year, which was of course a weird year to get into it with the GLOBAL PANDEMIC and all. Anyway, Daytona 500 today, legggggo

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I got into F1 because of Drive to Survive. Sure Lewis and Mercedes were at a completely different level. And the Max was his own level for a non-Mercedes (if his car didn't break down on him). The mid-field battles though were nice.

Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll probably check in on Daytona.

I used to be a huge fan, but my fandom started dwindling when Dale died (he was my guy). Followed Jr for a while but I fell off.

However, the atmosphere tailgating around the New Hampshire track was always amazing.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I have some friends who are hardcore F1 fans. This resulted in five of us buying “F1 2020” for the XBox, which led to three of us watching “Drive to Survive” and also becoming F1 nerds.

The past two race days, I found myself getting up at 5am on a Sunday to watch live. I went back to bed afterwards, but still…
    Last edited by Tyson; October 11th, 2021 at 6:05 PM.