Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    B.J. Penn vs. Ryan Hall at UFC 232. LW.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BJ has had such a perplexing career. Like he's seen as an all time great and obviously his 5 fight losing streak has diminished, but was he ever that good? He only won 6 fights in his current UFC run, all to guys who I think it would be fair to say peaked before the game evolved, and some weren't that good anyway. Pulver was already on the fade. Stevenson was a middling contender in the right place at the right time. Sherk, Florian and Sanchez were all quality lightweight wins but you can't really say those guys in their primes would be top 10 today. None of them have great wins. Then he knocked out an old Matt Hughes. I think Marinovich era Penn was an animal but it was two fights against guys that don't come near all time great status. He's the poster boy for a good strength and conditioning programme really, maybe he would have been one of the best ever if he consistently had one. Alas, he comes nowhere near the top for me. Even guys like Johny Hendricks eclipse him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Johny Hendricks pre-USADA or post?

I don't think that was fair at all. BJ's issues were training camp laziness and refusal to stay in his own weight class while taking beatings from larger men. I certainly wouldn't put someone who cheated their entire career over him.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hendricks beat Fitch, Koscheck, Lawler, Condit, Kampmann, Brown and Lombard, does BJ have 7 wins better than that? The first 4 are certainly top 20 all time at welterweight. The USADA point is a valid one but that pretty much disqualifies any fight result before July 2015 if there's suspicions of cheating.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will respond to this by first stating that BJ Penn and Chuck Liddell continuously alternate as my all-time favorite fighters so know this is coming from a place of love.

BJ Penn is without a doubt one of the all-time greats. Sure, 20 years from now I'm sure Anderson Silva's accomplishments will be questioned but for Penn's time, his peak, he was ELITE. Joe Daddy was top 5, Diego was top 5, Sean Sherk top 5, KenFlo top 5, Penn made them look top 400. He did the same with barely any experience his first time at 155 smoking everyone but Jens. And that was Penn with what, 3-4 fights before challenging for the belt?

Then you look at him moving up and choking out Matt Hughes. It wasn't even a fluke as we saw in their rematch Penn dominated until he started to gas and I believe had a broken rib. Then knocks him out in 10 seconds lol. IMO he beat GSP in their first fight. Then held his own for 4-5 rounds when GSP was hitting his stride in a class battle once again. Penn, fighting completely out of his weight class barely making 167, sacrificing his conditioning to fight the best .

Then you have his fights with Edgar. IMO he won the first, lost the 2nd. No shame, a passing of the torch fight if you will. I do believe that he should have called it a day after the Rory fight. Commendable that he went the distance with Fitch, Nick Diaz, and Rory in a row. Shouldn't have fought those dudes in the first place imo but that's his pride chasing the GSP title match once again.

I'm not even going to talk about the warrior spirit, the fights with 225lbs. Lyoto Machida, choking out Gomi, beating his mentor Renzo, yeah man he's an all-time great.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far down does the all time great list go though? 20? 50? He's obviously comfortably in the latter (Pulver, Hughes, Sherk, Florian, Sanchez and Renzo are absolutely legit wins), but is he top 20? I'd say guys like Holloway and Dillashaw have already eclipsed him. Cruz, Faber, Aldo, Edgar and Mighty Mouse too. GSP, Anderson, Jones, Fedor, Henderson, Shogun and Cormier are no brainers. McGregor, Lawler, Wanderlei. You could rank Ben Henderson over him considering Edgar and Melendez are better wins than any of BJ's at 155. Khabib? RDA? Woodley already? Guys of the same era like Hughes, Nogueira, Cro Cop, Liddell, Rampage have huge wins on a par with Penn's and had more consistent peaks. Eddie Alvarez? Anthony Pettis? Michael Bisping? Randy Couture, Vitor, inconsistent but big wins. He's tough to rank. Lightweight had no depth when he was king but he did butcher those 4 guys in title fights and Pulver just before. He did win fights above his weight class including the P4P win against Hughes. He can range anywhere between near the top of "the rest" (ie behind Aldo, GSP, Anderson, Jones and Cormier) to behind his contemporaries who simply have more wins, more title defences, longer win streaks, less losses, more ranked wins etc). It's what you like I guess.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    How far down does the all time great list go though? 20? 50? He's obviously comfortably in the latter (Pulver, Hughes, Sherk, Florian, Sanchez and Renzo are absolutely legit wins), but is he top 20? I'd say guys like Holloway and Dillashaw have already eclipsed him. Cruz, Faber, Aldo, Edgar and Mighty Mouse too. GSP, Anderson, Jones, Fedor, Henderson, Shogun and Cormier are no brainers. McGregor, Lawler, Wanderlei. You could rank Ben Henderson over him considering Edgar and Melendez are better wins than any of BJ's at 155. Khabib? RDA? Woodley already? Guys of the same era like Hughes, Nogueira, Cro Cop, Liddell, Rampage have huge wins on a par with Penn's and had more consistent peaks. Eddie Alvarez? Anthony Pettis? Michael Bisping? Randy Couture, Vitor, inconsistent but big wins. He's tough to rank. Lightweight had no depth when he was king but he did butcher those 4 guys in title fights and Pulver just before. He did win fights above his weight class including the P4P win against Hughes. He can range anywhere between near the top of "the rest" (ie behind Aldo, GSP, Anderson, Jones and Cormier) to behind his contemporaries who simply have more wins, more title defences, longer win streaks, less losses, more ranked wins etc). It's what you like I guess.
    This isn't a cop out response but every list is subjective. I would put BJ Penn in the top 10 p4p best of all time.

I don't think guys like Holloway or Dillashaw have ECLIPSED Penn. Their legacy has barely been written. Holloway's biggest win, Jose Aldo, imo isn't a bigger win than BJ Penn's wins over Matt Hughes for example. Or even the draw with Jon Fitch. Or even losing to GSP twice. Dillashaw....I don't even know where you are thinking this guy has eclipsed BJ Penn.

So yeah it's all subjective because I can see your point for a lot of guys you mentioned. You talked about supposedly no depth at 155 when he was champ. What depth did 170 have when Hughes was champ? How about Chuck Liddell? BJ Penn fought the best the division had to offer. Yeah 10 years later the sport has evolved, look at Middleweight. You meant to tell me that MW pre-Anderson Silva was littered with these p4p killers like Dave Menne and Edwin Deweese? lol. It takes a great fighter to truly make a division. BJ Penn made 155 THE premier division. The only other division that is in the conversation is 170. Why? Because of GSP.
    Last edited by Nash Diesel; September 14th, 2018 at 11:32 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't disagree with most of that but Liddell-era LHW and HW were both more popular than Penn-era LW.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    I don't disagree with most of that but Liddell-era LHW and HW were both more popular than Penn-era LW.
    Popularity trumps skill for a lot of fans I know but the point is that there wasn't a lot of depth in the UFC LHW division when Chuck was champ. It only achieved depth when they signed a bunch of Pride dudes. Other than that, when the only qualification to get a title shot against Chuck Liddell was beating him 10 years prior (Horn) or beating Mike Van Arsdale (Couture), you can't really knock the 155 division when Penn was running it.

And like I said, the division is only great when the tone is set by great fighters. 170 wasn't the end all be all when Matt Hughes was champ, it was VERY close to being the #1 division in the world, but not yet. 155 wasn't the end all be all when Sean Sherk was champ. GSP and BJ Penn made those divisions what they are today.

Again, I don't even see how someone could look at Max Holloway and say he's eclipsed BJ Penn. I might be talking with blinders on for being a huge Penn fan but it's not like I'm on an island of my own. Maybe his last 3 fights have made me people forget how good he truly was but the resume speaks for itself. BJ is a fighter that you could put him in any era at his peak and he's dominant. He was ahead of his time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I love Max and TJ but no way are they higher on the GOAT list right now than BJ. It's very possible they'll surpass him before it's said and done but at the moment absolutely not.

Even the modern day losses aren't really tarnishing his career, everyone understands that this is the old shell of BJ Penn.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holloway has Aldo x2, Pettis, Lamas, Swanson and Stephens on his record. The Aldo wins of course trump anything Penn has ever done because Aldo is certainly in the discussion of greatest of all time and Matt Hughes is just outside that bracket. Pettis is a huge win. The other guys are the equivalent of fighters like Sanchez and Florian. BJ's peak was 5 fights, with the first Matt Hughes fight standing out after his disappointing results against Pulver and Uno at 155. Holloway has put together a hell of a win streak punctuated by dusting off a perennial top 5 guy in Swanson, former 155 champion in Pettis and P4P great Aldo all inside 3 rounds, back to back to back to back. He's awesome.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holloway has Aldo x2, Pettis, Lamas, Swanson and Stephens on his record. The Aldo wins of course trump anything Penn has ever done because Aldo is certainly in the discussion of greatest of all time and Matt Hughes is just outside that bracket. Pettis is a huge win. The other guys are the equivalent of fighters like Sanchez and Florian. BJ's peak was 5 fights, with the first Matt Hughes fight standing out after his disappointing results against Pulver and Uno at 155. Holloway has put together a hell of a win streak punctuated by dusting off a perennial top 5 guy in Swanson, former 155 champion in Pettis and P4P great Aldo all inside 3 rounds, back to back to back to back. He's awesome.
    He is awesome, I'm not disagreeing with that comment. I'm disagreeing with you saying he along with some of the other names have easily surpassed BJ Penn. How? Aldo trumps Hughes? Maybe. Hughes is one of the best WW's of all time. BJ Penn went up a weight class, dropped him and then choked him out when Hughes was hitting his prime. Not even a fluke. Aldo is for sure one of the best 145ers of all time, but he never went up in weight either. I think that says a lot about Penn's legacy and why so many consider him a GOAT fighter.

Now if Holloway does something outside his division and doesn't die trying to cut 40lbs. again to have the size advantage he feels he needs to be competitive, maybe we can throw his name in.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    In fairness to Max he's only 26 years old meaning if he's like most men he's getting bigger and is only just now struggling to make 145 after so many years of doing it with no problems. I don't think he's trying to milk his size at all, he stepped up to fight Khabib ffs.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In fairness to Max he's only 26 years old meaning if he's like most men he's getting bigger and is only just now struggling to make 145 after so many years of doing it with no problems. I don't think he's trying to milk his size at all, he stepped up to fight Khabib ffs.
    I don't know man I heard his last 4-5 cuts were pretty rough. 5'11" and fights at 145 and he's not a scrawny lanky dude that only cuts 10-15. He's cutting 30lbs+ maybe more.

Still, dude is a bad ass. He could be the next BJ Penn.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Valentina Shevchenko (15-3)/Joanna Jedrzejczyk (15-2) for the vacant 125 belt at UFC 231 (Toronto). Good move by JJ I guess, losing twice to the same champion makes it nearly impossible to get a third shot. She's also looked like a corpse cutting to 115 for quite a while. I think Shevchenko has beaten Joanna two or three times in Muay Thai back in the day, so some backstory there and a chance for a little redemption as well. Bullet probably takes it though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    She beat her 3 times in Muay Thai. Considering that's practically JJ's entire game I'm leaning towards Valentina too.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Max Holloway/Brian Ortega at UFC 231 in Toronto.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Jones-Gus 2 is getting close but Jones is wanting ppv points. Understandable but shit I agree with a lot of fans, the dude is lucky to even have a spot in the company let alone get any extra shit. He's cost the UFC more money than we can even imagine. Don't get it twisted, I am 100% a fan of Jon Jones, I want to see him fight, he is IMO one of the greatest of all time.

The UFC is just as much to blame though. Allowing him to essentially fuck up beyond belief and pick up where he left off like nothing ever happened.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That's what happens when you are almost unanimously acknowledged as the greatest fighter to ever live.

Of course he deserves ppv points lol. Haters gonna hate.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Main event of UFC 230 is Shevchenko vs. Eubanks for the flyweight title. LOL at Diaz/Poirier and Weidman/Rockhold being under that. Shambolic. Should have just signed the former to be 5 rounds from the get go. Guaranteed Dana throws Nate under the bus for not accepting an extra 2 rounds with no extra compensation or title on 5 weeks notice.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fuck that main event.

Sajara Eubanks is about to make killer coin in ppv points off Nate Diaz.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Natural evolution of the sport. People early in the decade trumpeted the UFC because fights got made as opposed to boxing, and titles were legit. Guys didn't know how to make money in 2010. They know their value now. Throw in owners that operate purely on a profit model and Bellator/UFC is basically the Arum/Oscar situation back then. No way would this happen in 2010, Rich Franklin and Rampage Jackson would step in on four week's notice no problem.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Sijara Eubanks?

5 total mma fights, only 3 wins, 1 ufc fight.

Headlining MSG ... over hot as fuck Dustin Poirier and a returning Nate motherfuckin Diaz ... the fuck?

Legit embarrassment.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    "No offense but I don't even know who Sijara Eubanks is and I'm a commentator for the UFC."

I'm 100% with Rogan and Shaub.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I have a pretty good grasp on Eubanks, I'm however one of the three people on earth that watched that season of TUF.

So then, is this the worst ever main event on paper in modern UFC history? Main eventing MSG of all places as well..

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hands down.

This is a somehow even worse title fight than Shevchenko/Whats-her-face as Eubanks didn't even win her season.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's not forget this woman made it to the finals and then couldn't make weight so they had Roxanne step in the day before lol. One has to assume there's something up with Joanna. Not ready in time? Possibly USADA violation?

What a weak ass main event for a pretty damn good card as it is without it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Didn't even think of that, with the new USADA rules it's a possibility.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Didn't even think of that, with the new USADA rules it's a possibility.
    I mean seriously, Joanna is going to turn down an MSG main event for a championship? Again, unless she just can't be ready to go there has to be something USADA-ish going on.

Also, heavy heavy rumor that UFC 232= Jones v. Gus 2 for the LHW championship. Dana told DC that he has to vacate one of the championships. This right here just shows the favoritism he has toward McGregor.

"But he's the biggest draw in the sport!" And?

He won 2 championships, it took them a year each to get them off his shoulders. DC been champ 2 minutes and he already has to vacate.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    From JJ's Instagram.
    Me pulling out of fight? Never! Here is the truth. Yesterday I was informed that my fight had been cancelled. Unfortunately, I received this news from journalists, I was very shocked. I feel angry and sad. The already signed contract on the 8th of December was ignored. They were trying to persuade me into taking the fight in November, at the same time depriving me of a chance to properly prepare for the fight during the camp. Valentina is a challenging opponents, and my goal was (and actually still is) to prepare for this fight as best I can, and to eventually become the UFC flyweight champion. I treat every opponent and fight serious and with respect. I could fight in NY if I was interested only in money. Due to respect for other fighters and myself, I rejected the offer made by the UFC to change the date of the fight, as my main goal is to be at my best form during the fight, and in order to do that, I have to do my job from start to finish.
    For 15 years I’ve been focused only on development, sportsmanship at the highest level and achieving my dreams. Of course, martial arts are my job, but most of all, they are my passion, hobby, and they fill my life and run in my blood. As a professional and a person who treats her life and work obligations serious, I feel truly resentful about the breath of the fight agreement. My feelings are even more intensified when I think of the obligations I had to resign from, as they would have happened in the time of my camp. I always plan everything long before a fight announcement. Once I sign the contract, there is nothing more important than fight preparations.

I always try to put myself in somebody else’s situation, be it a life or business one. Thus, I understand the quick decision made by the UFC key people to save the event in NYC. Everything happens for a reason. Sooner or later i’ll become the champ in two weight classes.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean I get it, Bullet beat the brakes off her in MT right? Couple times if I remember. Just excuses if you ask me.

Her last fight was July 28th. This fight is November 3rd. It's not like she hasn't made that turnaround before because she has. In less time, when she was champion. I get it, I really do but it's still an excuse. Ronda Rousey and Holly Holm were supposed to fight in February and their fight got pushed back to November. Maybe that's what she's thinking of as some feel that is a big reason why Ronda lost as she wasn't even really in a fight camp at the time they moved it up. But she wasn't fighting a weight class up.....
    Last edited by Nash Diesel; October 3rd, 2018 at 3:30 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Calm down.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calm down.
    lol, you should read my edited post then if you thought what I originally posted was heated.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re a cock. The UFC offer her a date and she accepts it and starts planning her whole camp around it, then because they haven’t bothered arranging a better main event they decide that they want to push it a month further forward and somehow it’s her fault that she doesn’t accept it not the UFC’s fault for dicking people’s livelihoods around?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    JJ had even signed a contract for Toronto in December, show's the worth of the UFC's contracts I guess. A month is probably a major change for someone that is preparing to switch weight-class as well, either up or down.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So nothing "USADA-ish" then. Yeah I really had JJ pegged for a juice head but I'm glad we got to the bottom of this.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    So nothing "USADA-ish" then. Yeah I really had JJ pegged for a juice head but I'm glad we got to the bottom of this.
    Yeah, that's exactly what the new USADA guidelines will cause, more rumor and innuendo. Anytime someone pulls out of a fight there will be speculation that there's been USADA shenanigans. Although it's much more fair to the athletes to not make it public before the investigation is concluded, even people that was cleared got the "failed test/juice head" stigma.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You’re a cock. The UFC offer her a date and she accepts it and starts planning her whole camp around it, then because they haven’t bothered arranging a better main event they decide that they want to push it a month further forward and somehow it’s her fault that she doesn’t accept it not the UFC’s fault for dicking people’s livelihoods around?
    You need to be ready to go tomorrow if need be for a world title shot. I'm sure if it was someone half her size at 115 she would have had zero issue. But now that she doesn't have to cut 30lbs. and only has to cut 20lbs. she can't handle it?

Whatever happened to The Boogeywoman? I love to watch her fight, but she has been catered to for so long she forgot what it was like to step up when needed.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confirmed across the board. UFC 230's main event is Black Beast challenging Cormier for the HW title. I'm seriously confused by the booking of the UFC for this event.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Well, like I said earlier it's a mismatch for sure, DC will grapple, Lewis will gas, DC will submit him. Pretty much a carbon copy of DC/Rumble but probably even less competitive, Rumble's speed and power caused some trouble for DC early on, Lewis hits hard but he aint exactly swift. DC/Curtis Blaydes (who just beat Reem, Hunt and Oliynyk) would be a much more compelling fight to me.

I guess the fight at least removes the stink of Bullet/Sarge headlining MSG.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, like I said earlier it's a mismatch for sure, DC will grapple, Lewis will gas, DC will submit him. Pretty much a carbon copy of DC/Rumble but probably even less competitive, Rumble's speed and power caused some trouble for DC early on, Lewis hits hard but he aint exactly swift. DC/Curtis Blaydes (who just beat Reem, Hunt and Oliynyk) would be a much more compelling fight to me.

I guess the fight at least removes the stink of Bullet/Sarge headlining MSG.
    It's just an odd fight to make.

Actually....as I type that out, it's not actually as odd as it seems.

Who's an easier fight for Brock Lesnar? The guy with the Olympic level wrestling, solid striking, submission game on point, only lost to 1 guy in his entire MMA career, 2 division champ. Or the guy who gasses within 45 seconds, who trains an hour a week, MAYBE trains more than hitting the heavy bag once a month.

See, if Lesnar faces DC, the fight goes maybe 4 seconds, 5 if Cormier wants to fuck around. But Black Beast v. Lesnar? That could be at least a round before 1 of 2 things happen: Lesnar goes to sleep, or BB gets pounded out/submitted.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a fight akin to Rockhold vs. Bisping 2. The champion comes in in career form against a career fringe contender who, despite some hairy moments, had earned a position in the top 5 of the division and a short notice title fight when options were scarce. Both massively athletically inferior to the respective champions. Both gifted talkers. Both challenging champions from AKA... you just never know. Black Beast deserves his moment in the sun, and his chronic back issues likely have him with a shortened shelf life in MMA. And he's eventually going to run out of Hail Mary's and lose to Oleynik or something. Fair play, give him a crack, pay him, and move on to Cormier vs. Lesnar next year.

But what if.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Biggest upset, Lewis/DC or Serra/GSP?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Well I'll be.. Bullet/JJ is back on for 231 in Toronto. Nice.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's the fight to make. That division needs somebody to put a few wins together to even main event a free card with a title fight, besides Val vs. Joanna.

Serra vs. GSP will always be the biggest upset. It was Matt Serra's first ever stoppage due to strikes. An undersized BJJ guy knocked out the most talented fighter we'd seen to that point. Lewis has a genuine puncher's chance based on his 18 wins by way of knockout, and he's actually in decent form winning 9 of 10 and beating 4-5 current or former top 5 contenders in that time. Serra had squeaked past Chris Lytle and only had decision victories over 2 future bantamweights in the five years before that fight. The odds will likely say Derrick is a bigger underdog come bell time, but stats don't lie.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree about Serra v. GSP. It was no doubt a Rocky-story. Just imagine Lytle v. GSP though.

I actually liked that concept of TUF and props to GSP and Anderson for agreeing to that kind of stipulation. You're basically putting the belt on the line against "mediocre" talent. Poor Lutter. Whatever happened to that guy?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I know objectively GSP/Serra is probably number one but there have been plenty of arguable candidates. Rousey/Holm and Barao/Dillashaw off the top of my head.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know objectively GSP/Serra is probably number one but there have been plenty of arguable candidates. Rousey/Holm and Barao/Dillashaw off the top of my head.
    Serra wasn't even ranked though. He actually never even fought at WW in the UFC until TUF. Holly was at least on a 3 fight win streak and ranked #6. Dillashaw was also on a winning streak and was ranked #5. Are they big upsets? Of course when you look at what Barao and Rousey had accomplished. But arguably more of an upset than Matt Serra knocking out GSP in 2 minutes? That's a tough argument to make.

You know what one jumped out at me? Jens Pulver v. Joe Lauzon. I would put that in my top 10. Paulo Thiago fucking up Josh Koscheck was another one.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Jones/Gus 2 scheduled for UFC 232. It will be for the LHW title, not sure if "the interim" or "the vacant".

Put scheduled in italics because I won't believe this fight happens until they both stand in the Octagon® on December 29. Gus is injury plagued like few others and where Jon Jones goes trouble follows..

Edit/ Apparently DC is being stripped so it's for the vacant LHW title.

Sarge Eubanks/Roxanne Modafferi at UFC 230 and Kevin Lee/Al Iaquinta 2 at UFC on FOX 31.
    Last edited by OD50; October 11th, 2018 at 7:16 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the right fight to make for Eubanks IMO. You shouldn't be rewarded for missing weight with a title shot.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yeah, Also Eubanks has lost to fellow UFC fighters Aspen Ladd and Kaitlyn Chookagian in the past and has an overall record of 3-2 so I definitely think she has some proving to do. A TUF rematch with Roxanne is probably a decent test, maybe a rematch with Chookagian (4-1 UFC) after that, or why not Nicco Montano? Honestly, they both have some proving to do before fighting the likes of JJ or Bullet for any kind of title.

JJ is unproven at FLW but it's sort of like along the lines of BJ challenging GSP at WW, DC challenging Stipe at HW or Rory challenging Mousasi at MW. I know JJ isn't the reigning 115 champ but she ran that division for two years and there's also the backstory of her fighting Valentina three times in Muay Thai. There's also the factor that the 125 title is vacant so it's hard to say that anyone really has proven themselves in that division. I mean, even a super talent like Shevchenko has only beaten (molested?) that noob Brazilian girl at 125.
    Last edited by OD50; October 15th, 2018 at 4:49 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Also Eubanks has lost to fellow UFC fighters Aspen Ladd and Kaitlyn Chookagian in the past and has an overall record of 3-2 so I definitely think she has some proving to do. A TUF rematch with Roxanne is probably a decent test, maybe a rematch with Chookagian (4-1 UFC) after that, or why not Nicco Montano? Honestly, they both have some proving to do before fighting the likes of JJ or Bullet for any kind of title.

JJ is unproven at FLW but it's sort of like along the lines of BJ challenging GSP at WW, DC challenging Stipe at HW or Rory challenging Mousasi at MW. I know JJ isn't the reigning 115 champ but she ran that division for two years and there's also the backstory of her fighting Valentina three times in Muay Thai. There's also the factor that the 125 title is vacant so it's hard to say that anyone really has proven themselves in that division. I mean, even a super talent like Shevchenko has only beaten (molested?) that noob Brazilian girl at 125.
    To be fair, DC was undefeated at HW and BJ Penn was the former WW champ but I do get what you mean. It's a new division for the UFC that needs to hit the ground running. It was already a mistake the way they went about introducing the title. A show full of practically nobody worth a damn including the veterans. This was like taking green as grass fighters and pairing them with Season 4 of TUF level fighters if that makes any sense.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There really isn't a better option than Valentina vs JJ. The division is in it's infancy and is made up of fighters with poor or early records without any standouts at all. I will never be able to wrap my head around that TUF tournament.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There really isn't a better option than Valentina vs JJ. The division is in it's infancy and is made up of fighters with poor or early records without any standouts at all. I will never be able to wrap my head around that TUF tournament.
    The fights weren't even good and while I say that with not seeing every single one, I maybe missed 2 episodes and they were boring as fuck every time.

It would be one thing if 125 was this hot division and Invicta, Bellator, etc. had all these prospects/vets but to my knowledge it's a very hit or miss division. But it does seem like a lot of girls from 115 and 135 are more willing to go to 125. They definitely don't want any of Cyborg at 145. It took 7 figures to get Nunes to agree.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    In Nunes' defense she seems to understand her worth in this scenario. Considering the risk she is taking by moving up simply because there are no more female truck drivers for Cyborg to beat up in the 145 division I admire her staying strong to her demands.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Nunes' defense she seems to understand her worth in this scenario. Considering the risk she is taking by moving up simply because there are no more female truck drivers for Cyborg to beat up in the 145 division I admire her staying strong to her demands.
    Holly Holm is a female truck driver?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Nunes could have trucked on picking up a decent champions salary (seems to be minimum $250k show for a defending champion now?) fighting scrubbers on PPV's that are barely worth the UFC putting on. In this scenario, it's a hell of a risk on her behalf, but it's also to the company's benefit that there's a fight for her that should do a decent buy, particularly with Jones/Gus on top. Thus, she should be rightly compensated.

The first quarter of the year should be uncharacteristically busy this year. Lesnar's title fight, Gastelum/Whittaker, Woodley/Covington and title defences for Rose, TJ and Cejedo (surely Mighty Mouse 3) should all come by Easter. I'd imagine Khabib vs. Ferguson falls in April if he's cleared, if not get ready for a Ferguson interim title fight in that month instead. This coming weekend is the last one without a UFC card until the weekend before Christmas, so they're not having any sort of break going into the ESPN deal.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take this for what it's worth but Schaub aka the Watson to Chael's Sherlock Holmes, is claiming Khabib could be looking at 18-24 month suspension. Looks like it's time to holler at 50 Cent.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chance. He's serving maximum nine months on the fence I'd say. Which runs through Ramadan anyway. So he'll be back around this time next year. Schaub was probably saying Conor was going to jail for the bus incident I bey.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chance. He's serving maximum nine months on the fence I'd say. Which runs through Ramadan anyway. So he'll be back around this time next year. Schaub was probably saying Conor was going to jail for the bus incident I bey.
    Schaub is a weird dude to listen to. I hate the way he says "man".

Khabib is a weird dude as well. When he first won the title he called out GSP.....................Now he's calling out Floyd Mayweather........................He's essentially doing the weird shit he frowned on Conor for doing.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big fight added to UFC 232:

Cat Zingano v. Megan Anderson @ 145lbs.

One has to assume the winner faces the winner of Cyborg-Nunes.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    In a very manufactured way that's a big fight, sure, but it's not really any kind of legitimately big fight.
    Last edited by Percussion; October 18th, 2018 at 11:56 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's not a big fight in any sense of the word lol.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big fight for women's MMA imo. Especially UFC's 145 division.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a fight. At least the co-main has a set replacement now. This appears to be a constant thing now, where a card with a title fight has a top 5 contender in the same weight class fighting too. This card has this and Anderson vs. Latifi, 231 apparently has Mendes vs. Moicano and Chookagian vs. Eye. Sensible.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumors flying around that Jorge Masvidal has been offered a fight against Nick Diaz. Let's do it. I am so fucking sick of hearing Nick Diaz talk about how he would smoke everyone even if he hasn't won a fight in 10 years lol. This is the type of fight he wants so hopefully it happens.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nick Diaz vs Jorge Masvidal on March 2 according to sources.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I really hope this fight happens. This is the exact type of fight someone like Nick Diaz begs for. A guy who has no problem just standing there in front of you. Didn't Masvidal used to do the backyard fighting with Kimbo or was that just Bruce Leeroy?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm pretty positive there are old videos of his street fighting days on YouTube but I don't remember him doing the backyard promotional stuff like Kimbo and Caceres. I could be wrong.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Or did Kimbo even do the backyard stuff? I'm getting old.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or did Kimbo even do the backyard stuff? I'm getting old.
    I think so, or at least it was all part of the same underground promotion.

Looking at Caceres record, I totally spaced off UFC on Fuel TV. I used to hate when it would be on that channel because you had to pay an extra $15 to get the package with that channel so I was missing quite a bit of UFC. Not a lot of stellar cards but I'm pretty sure Cung Le v. Rich Franklin was on one of those cards.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Looking like Jones vs. Smith at 235.

Contingent on Jones going in front of the Nevada AC. And probably not fucking up any other Jon Jones kind of way, of course.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Also looks like Usman/Woodley will serve as the co-main at that event. And while that isn't the most exciting matchup it does round out an interesting, though not blockbuster card..

Smith/Jones
    Usman/Woodley
    Lawler/Askren
    Zabit/Stephens
    Holm/Ladd
    Sanchez/Gall
    OSP/Cirkunov

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s a good card as far as I’m concerned.

The three big fights could turn into wrestle grapple affairs though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Smart booking here. I like it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry didn't realize this UFC 235 talk was going down here as well. Very excited for this card. Each fight so far makes sense rankings wise. Garbrandt v. Munhoz has also been added. This might be the only fight that doesn't make sense ranking wise, #1 v. #10....

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Eh, not a big time matchup, sure, but either Garbrandt gets a much needed W or Munhoz rockets up the rankings.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Eh, not a big time matchup, sure, but either Garbrandt gets a much needed W or Munhoz rockets up the rankings.
    Yeah I mean it's still by definition a top 10 fight for Cody and Munhoz could definitely skyrocket to the top 5 with a win here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If Cody loses this it might be an even sharper decline than Hendricks. Lots of pressure on him here.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Cody loses this it might be an even sharper decline than Hendricks. Lots of pressure on him here.
    Hendricks? Jesus Christ man give Cody a minute to reach that level of decline. His last 2 losses were title fights. Even if he loses here I don't expect him to wind up "retiring" and getting knocked out by a porn star the next month lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Munhoz is good. He's in that fight. Easy to forget Cody's rise to #1 was sharp in itself, Almeida was his only big win and he's been found out since. The Cruz fight was masterful but guys like Moraes and Assuncao have been winning big fights since and deserve that spot most likely.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Hendricks? Jesus Christ man give Cody a minute to reach that level of decline. His last 2 losses were title fights. Even if he loses here I don't expect him to wind up "retiring" and getting knocked out by a porn star the next month lol.
    Calm down.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calm down.
    You calm down, talking like Cody is going to be worse than Hendricks if he loses. lol. Fucking weirdo.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously Cody has a big part to play in it, but I think that the Cruz fight flattered him. Dom fought like an idiot, chasing him around the octagon and swinging punches, the total opposite to Cruz’s usual fighting style.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You calm down, talking like Cody is going to be worse than Hendricks if he loses. lol. Fucking weirdo.
    You seriously need to calm down/take your medicine. I wasn't nearly as emotionally invested in my throwaway comment as you are.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Thug Rose vs Jessica Andrade at UFC 237 in Brazil.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Also Black Beast vs JDS on ESPN 4 in March.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seriously need to calm down/take your medicine. I wasn't nearly as emotionally invested in my throwaway comment as you are.
    You're terrible at reading tone. Weirdo.

Thug Rose vs Jessica Andrade at UFC 237 in Brazil.
    Also Black Beast vs JDS on ESPN 4 in March.
    Love both of these fights.

What are the odds we ever see JDS in a HW title fight again?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright boys get your lotion and rags ready. UFC on ESPN2 in Philly=Karate Hottie v. Karolina Kowalkiewicz

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a #1 contender's fight for JDS I think, particularly if he knocks Lewis out. 3 main event wins on the trot. There would be 3 options for D.C. from there - Miocic, JDS or Ngannou if he beats Velasquez. The latter being the most likely choice given the Cormier/Cain friendship. Miocic has played it well sitting out though, as if the two (I presume anyway) betting favourites win in Cain and Black Beast, then he's got his rematch. No way Cain fights Cormier, and the Black Beast fight with Cormier was so thoroughly uncompetitive that you can't really sell the puncher's chance angle again. Miocic's body of work as champion would get him in there with Cormier again.

Unless, Jon Jones fancies himself some.

It's weird - given how well Cormier, Nunes, McGregor, Gastelum, Whitaker and Poirier, just to name a few, have done since moving up in weight, I really hope Weidman, Rockhold and Gustafsson go north too. Weidman and Rockhold are easily more compelling matches for Jones than Corey Anderson, and Gustafsson's hand speed and takedown defence would make him a threat to the slower heavyweights.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Rumor mill has Colby Covington vs Darren Till in the works for UFC London in march.

Hope Covington is on board and Till can make 170, cause this is pretty dope.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It makes no sense for Colby though. Hate him if you will but he did beat a streaking RDA for interim gold on his last outing; compared to Usman getting a title shot after beating RDA (and Maia) both one fight removed from losing to Covington.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes no sense for Colby though. Hate him if you will but he did beat a streaking RDA for interim gold on his last outing; compared to Usman getting a title shot after beating RDA (and Maia) both one fight removed from losing to Covington.
    What are his other options though? He thinks saying the shit he's been saying about Dana-who's bent over backwards enough for this idiot-is going to get DW to pull Usman and put Colby in?

Then what does Coly do? He's already said many times everywhere BUT the UFC are bum promotions. And the sad thing is, for as much as he talks, his co-main ppv was one of the lowest buyrates not just of 2018, but of all-time.

I say take the Till fight and if you win then you have no doubt made a claim to the winner of T-Wood/Usman. And to be honest, I don't think Colby has what it takes to even beat Till let alone T-Wood.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a #1 contender's fight for JDS I think, particularly if he knocks Lewis out. 3 main event wins on the trot. There would be 3 options for D.C. from there - Miocic, JDS or Ngannou if he beats Velasquez. The latter being the most likely choice given the Cormier/Cain friendship. Miocic has played it well sitting out though, as if the two (I presume anyway) betting favourites win in Cain and Black Beast, then he's got his rematch. No way Cain fights Cormier, and the Black Beast fight with Cormier was so thoroughly uncompetitive that you can't really sell the puncher's chance angle again. Miocic's body of work as champion would get him in there with Cormier again.

Unless, Jon Jones fancies himself some.

It's weird - given how well Cormier, Nunes, McGregor, Gastelum, Whitaker and Poirier, just to name a few, have done since moving up in weight, I really hope Weidman, Rockhold and Gustafsson go north too. Weidman and Rockhold are easily more compelling matches for Jones than Corey Anderson, and Gustafsson's hand speed and takedown defence would make him a threat to the slower heavyweights.
    I would love to see Cormier v. Dos Santos. There are 3 HW's I wish we could see Cormier for sure fight and that would be JDS, Overeem, and Cain.

I am curious if Rockhold can even make it to a LHW fight. The dude is kind of forgotten to me, I don't really care what he does because it seems his time has come and gone with the quickness. But if it means less chance of killing themselves and adding some "name" value to the 205 division I am 10000% down. We can't rely on Jones, Gus, and Shogun Rua forever lol.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Outside of arranging a meeting with Donald Trump (which admittedly was a big deal) how exactly has DW bent over backwards for Colby? What was his reasoning for giving Usman a title shot for beating, in Colby's words, his sloppy seconds? I agree that his tirade against Dana was not a great idea but he has every reason to be upset.

And of course you don't think Colby has what it takes to beat Till. You're a hater lol.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    White's reasoning, as I've understood it, is that Usman was willing to take on every opportunity while Colby was quite vocally content to sit out for Woodley.

Not saying that's right or wrong either, just what's been discussed as to why. But in an era where guys are constantly trying to play matchmaker I can at least see the idea. And right or wrong this would be Colby's chance to rectify that.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outside of arranging a meeting with Donald Trump (which admittedly was a big deal) how exactly has DW bent over backwards for Colby? What was his reasoning for giving Usman a title shot for beating, in Colby's words, his sloppy seconds? I agree that his tirade against Dana was not a great idea but he has every reason to be upset.

And of course you don't think Colby has what it takes to beat Till. You're a hater lol.
    Till is a top 5 fighter no different than Colby. I just don't think Colby beats him but that doesn't make me a hater. I don't like Ben Askren but I think he can beat one of my favorites of all time Robbie Lawler.....

Colby is a poor man's McGregor so it's no wonder you're such a fanboy.

White's reasoning, as I've understood it, is that Usman was willing to take on every opportunity while Colby was quite vocally content to sit out for Woodley.

Not saying that's right or wrong either, just what's been discussed as to why. But in an era where guys are constantly trying to play matchmaker I can at least see the idea. And right or wrong this would be Colby's chance to rectify that.
    Shit happens for a reason. Miesha Tate was promised the 3rd fight against Ronda, Holm got it, and Tate wound up choking out Holm to finally win the UFC championship. So the same could work out for Colby. He beats Till, he beats the champ, MMA is weird like that. But right now, he's burying himself because he lacks the fanbase, the buyrates, the style, everything is generic and nobody has bought into him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Till is a top 5 fighter no different than Colby. I just don't think Colby beats him but that doesn't make me a hater. I don't like Ben Askren but I think he can beat one of my favorites of all time Robbie Lawler.....

Colby is a poor man's McGregor so it's no wonder you're such a fanboy.

Shit happens for a reason. Miesha Tate was promised the 3rd fight against Ronda, Holm got it, and Tate wound up choking out Holm to finally win the UFC championship. So the same could work out for Colby. He beats Till, he beats the champ, MMA is weird like that. But right now, he's burying himself because he lacks the fanbase, the buyrates, the style, everything is generic and nobody has bought into him.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish you were as insightful with your responses here as you are when trying to bury Hillary Clinton.