Results 3,901 to 3,984 of 3984

Thread: Who's Next?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It was a shit post from top to bottom; a thumb down is adequate.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    It was a shit post from top to bottom; a thumb down is adequate.
    It's a shame you're not intelligent enough to break down why you feel that way.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    In a bit of strange matchmaking news..

Anthony Pettis moving up to WW to take on Stephen Thompson in Nashville, March 23.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Don't really like it at all but whatever. Pettis isn't a big LW, in fact he is a little soft at that weight. Wonderboy ought to smoke him.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very strange but I know Pettis has been campaigning for this fight since Christmas. Maybe he feels like he's at a stage of his career where he just wants the exciting fights that also get him closer to title shots. Beating Wonderboy at WW skyrockets him no doubt. You don't beat a staple of the top 5 in arguably the toughest division in MMA in any promotion without getting in the mix immediately.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Just in talks at this point, but lots of scuttle about a Justin Gaethje vs Edson Barboza fight being put together for March 30 in Philly.

Firefuckinworks.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love that fight to materialize. Gaethje has delivered in every single fight, same with Edson. Edson has been smelling that title shot for awhile, he gets close and then loses the important ones. Reminds me of guys like Bisping where it took sheer luck to get a title shot after so many times of being 1 fight away from one. Maybe Edson will finally get his day in the sun when he's considered done for....idk.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think Gaethje is a terrible stylistic matchup for Barboza, who has historically struggled vs pressure fighters walking him down.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Good point. Be interesting to see if Edson doesn't try and get off some vicious leg kicks right out the gate to slow Gaethje's roll in that regard.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 99% positive that Gaethje's game plan is throw until someone falls asleep violently.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Good point. Be interesting to see if Edson doesn't try and get off some vicious leg kicks right out the gate to slow Gaethje's roll in that regard.
    Speaking of leg kicks I was just thinking both these guys have vicious ones. I'm interested to see who gets theirs off first.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So after Till and Colby couldn't come to an agreement the main event for UFC London is now..

Darren Till vs Jorge Masvidal

Uh, ok.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So after Till and Colby couldn't come to an agreement the main event for UFC London is now..

Uh, ok.
    1 of 2 things are going to happen. 1. Dana is going to give Colby the winner of Usman-Woodley or 2. Dana is going to have Colby sit his ass on the sidelines for the enormous amount of shit he was talking.

And honestly, I like Till v. Masvidal 10000x more than Till v. Colby. Masvidal isn't going to come in with that poor man's Jon Fitch style Colby gives us.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Idk, I like Colby's style. Relentless pressure fighter who forces guys into a phone booth with him, and in all likelihood to adjust their gameplan. Not necessarily fireworks, but a great challenge for the top guys in his division.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idk, I like Colby's style. Relentless pressure fighter who forces guys into a phone booth with him, and in all likelihood to adjust their gameplan. Not necessarily fireworks, but a great challenge for the top guys in his division.
    I like to listen to lullaby versions of Deftone's songs on Spotify to fall asleep.

Idk....There's something to be said about someone's style when after 5 rounds both you and your opponent look like you just got into the Octagon, which is what him and Dos Anjos looked like in their fight. I don't think anyone goes into a Colby expecting anything other than pressure against the cage and wanting to take you down.

When I think of exciting wrestlers in MMA, I don't think of Colby. I'm not a fan of point fighting unless you do it extremely well like GSP. We need less Jon Fitch, more Matt Hughes out of Colby. Scale back on this Conor McGregor routine while he's at it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I don't know that we need more or less of any kind of fighter. The sport ebbs and flows with what works. It's like the nfl, just when a style of offense seems like it'll take over the league opposing coaches scheme talent and defenses to combat it. For one stretch strikers will reign, until guys come along to neutralize and defeat them. Then grapplers will take over, until guys figure out a method to evade, sprawl, etc to dictate the fight. And so continuously goes it. Colby has an effective style and, jmo, but I think it's interesting to see how guys work their way around or through it.

I guess I just don't find it particularly boring tactically.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Uh, ok.
    I like this soooooo much better.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Also lololol at comparing Colby's style to Jon Fitch. He beat the piss out of Maia and RDA.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that we need more or less of any kind of fighter. The sport ebbs and flows with what works. It's like the nfl, just when a style of offense seems like it'll take over the league opposing coaches scheme talent and defenses to combat it. For one stretch strikers will reign, until guys come along to neutralize and defeat them. Then grapplers will take over, until guys figure out a method to evade, sprawl, etc to dictate the fight. And so continuously goes it. Colby has an effective style and, jmo, but I think it's interesting to see how guys work their way around or through it.

I guess I just don't find it particularly boring tactically.
    I've just never been a fan of fighters who work the system so to speak. You have top control but barely try to finish with strikes or submissions. Wrestlers are always going to be, imo, the toughest fighters to beat under the rules we have. Even the altering of some of the rules and the way they score rounds, you have a guy who can hold you down for 15-25 minutes and not do much damage is still going to get the nod over a guy who only gets 2 minutes on the feet but busts up the dude, almost knocks him out, or they're on the bottom working for a submission. Very rare do we see those things acknowledged over holding dudes down or up against a cage.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also lololol at comparing Colby's style to Jon Fitch. He beat the piss out of Maia and RDA.
    Him and RDA looked like they just came back from a light sparring session after 25 minutes. Your definition of beating the piss out of someone is far different than mine I guess.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I've just never been a fan of fighters who work the system so to speak. You have top control but barely try to finish with strikes or submissions. Wrestlers are always going to be, imo, the toughest fighters to beat under the rules we have. Even the altering of some of the rules and the way they score rounds, you have a guy who can hold you down for 15-25 minutes and not do much damage is still going to get the nod over a guy who only gets 2 minutes on the feet but busts up the dude, almost knocks him out, or they're on the bottom working for a submission. Very rare do we see those things acknowledged over holding dudes down or up against a cage.
    How do you view GSP's style?

And just to be clear I'm not trying to make an identical comparison between Colby and GSP, but for reference sake.
    Last edited by Percussion; January 16th, 2019 at 8:20 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Him and RDA looked like they just came back from a light sparring session after 25 minutes. Your definition of beating the piss out of someone is far different than mine I guess.
    You're so full of shit

Demian was a bloody mess.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you view GSP's style?

And just to be clear I'm not trying to make an identical comparison between Colby and GSP, but for reference sake.
    Elite. Whatever your style is he can replicate then use your own shit against you. Sometimes he can be a little too cautious but he is methodical and does everything perfect.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Light sparring..

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He's so fucking dumb when it comes to someone he's decided to hate.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Lol "Jon Fitch style". Jesus.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Light sparring..

lol since when did RDA=Maia? Thanks for playing slick!

He's so fucking dumb when it comes to someone he's decided to hate.
    Am I? I have given him respect several times, are you seriously still all butthurt because I said he couldn't beat Till?? And obviously he didn't want any of that smoke.

And yes, Jon Fitch style. A poor man's version. That's everything he represents, the poor man's version of everyone else he looks up to. Jon Fitch, Chael Sonnen, and Conor McGregor. This is MMA, not Halloween.

You two look like you both strive to be like the New Fucking Haircut Guy. "MOM, I'M ALL OUTTA MUSCLE MILK!"

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    lol since when did RDA=Maia? Thanks for playing slick!
    You're right. I saw Mark's response while looking at some stuff and got them mixed up. That's my bad.

Nonetheless I guess I just don't get knocking Colby's style for being boring or whatever. It's almost nonstop pressure, striking, takedown attempts, mixes in sub attempts, etc. He doesn't have big ko power but some guys just don't and he makes up for that with continuous action throughout.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right. I saw Mark's response while looking at some stuff and got them mixed up. That's my bad.

Nonetheless I guess I just don't get knocking Colby's style for being boring or whatever. It's almost nonstop pressure, striking, takedown attempts, mixes in sub attempts, etc. He doesn't have big ko power but some guys just don't and he makes up for that with continuous action throughout.
    1 out of 10 fights maybe he's delivering some form of excitement. I'm curious as to why you were asking me about GSP while in the same breath saying it wasn't to connect Colby, yet I have a feeling that's exactly what you're trying to do.

Colby's last loss was on my birthday. How interesting.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    1 out of 10 fights maybe he's delivering some form of excitement. I'm curious as to why you were asking me about GSP while in the same breath saying it wasn't to connect Colby, yet I have a feeling that's exactly what you're trying to do.

Colby's last loss was on my birthday. How interesting.
    It was to connect Colby, obviously. But I didn't want the point to get bogged down in the idea that I was saying that they're identical.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was to connect Colby, obviously. But I didn't want the point to get bogged down in the idea that I was saying that they're identical.
    They're far from identical. If you're going to try and connect the greatest of all time who does everything right at the most elite level to a decent fighter like Colby just to sell your argument more, good luck on that one. You can appreciate Colby's style, hell I appreciate what he can do with it, that doesn't mean it's remotely comparable to GSP's style.

Show me the fight where Colby smacked up and choked out someone twice his size like GSP did Michael Bisping.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    They're far from identical. If you're going to try and connect the greatest of all time who does everything right at the most elite level to a decent fighter like Colby just to sell your argument more, good luck on that one. You can appreciate Colby's style, hell I appreciate what he can do with it, that doesn't mean it's remotely comparable to GSP's style.

Show me the fight where Colby smacked up and choked out someone twice his size like GSP did Michael Bisping.
    Right, this is why I said they aren't identical. I'm not at all saying that Colby is as good as GSP. Don't even know why I'm having to say this now as that's why I mentioned from the very get got. But there is crossover in so far as your contention that Colby doesn't seem to fight for a finish, which was a long standing complaint by many about Georges. Yes, he finished Bisping, but that was long after a massive string of decisions. And yes Colby doesn't finish a lot of guys, but he has done so, so it's not like he can't either.

Honestly I don't care if you like him or not. My whole point from the get go was that I do happen to like his style and look forward to his fights, irrespective of his being an enormous douchebag. I'd actually liken his style to a combination of the Diaz brothers in terms of non-stop pressure/volume of attack and GSP in terms of mixing in td attempts and sub attempts without being an explosive finisher. But again, go ahead and like him, don't like him. I don't care.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

But it's comparable to Jon Fitch's style.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

I understood "him and RDA" to mean Maia and RDA as well so honest mistake. Just now dawned on me that he meant Colby vs RDA. He did conveniently fail to address my comment on Colby vs Demian though.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, this is why I said they aren't identical. I'm not at all saying that Colby is as good as GSP. Don't even know why I'm having to say this now as that's why I mentioned from the very get got. But there is crossover in so far as your contention that Colby doesn't seem to fight for a finish, which was a long standing complaint by many about Georges. Yes, he finished Bisping, but that was long after a massive string of decisions. And yes Colby doesn't finish a lot of guys, but he has done so, so it's not like he can't either.

Honestly I don't care if you like him or not. My whole point from the get go was that I do happen to like his style and look forward to his fights, irrespective of his being an enormous douchebag. I'd actually liken his style to a combination of the Diaz brothers in terms of non-stop pressure/volume of attack and GSP in terms of mixing in td attempts and sub attempts without being an explosive finisher. But again, go ahead and like him, don't like him. I don't care.
    GSP was also fighting guys that are much better than the majority of Colby's opponents, literally GSP's entire career but maybe 1 or 2 fights happened against top 10 ranked fighters. For the last 12+ he's fought nothing but top 5/champions, guys who don't get finished or weren't at the time. You are painting with a broad stroke.

Colby's style you would liken to the Diaz brothers? Holy shit now I've heard it all. Nate and Nick Diaz choking out everyone and knocking dudes out=Colby Covington's style? Colby's had 2 finishes in the UFC against scrubs, let's calm down here.

But it's comparable to Jon Fitch's style.
    Yes, Colby's style is more comparable to that of Jon Fitch than of GSP. Jon Fitch did pretty well for himself I might add but I guess he needed to be a weirdo Trump guy for you to notice.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understood "him and RDA" to mean Maia and RDA as well so honest mistake. Just now dawned on me that he meant Colby vs RDA. He did conveniently fail to address my comment on Colby vs Demian though.
    I didn't conveniently do anything.

Cool, he smashed up Maia, then did your favorite thing when it comes to MMA and shit on Brazil. Most of his bland decisions look like him and his opponent just did a light sparring session in the back. Maybe a bruise or a tiny cut here and there but for a guy who is whatever you two are trying to make him out to be, you'd think we'd get more bloody faces other than 40 year papercut=2 pints of blood loss Maia.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    GSP was also fighting guys that are much better than the majority of Colby's opponents, literally GSP's entire career but maybe 1 or 2 fights happened against top 10 ranked fighters. For the last 12+ he's fought nothing but top 5/champions, guys who don't get finished or weren't at the time. You are painting with a broad stroke.

Colby's style you would liken to the Diaz brothers? Holy shit now I've heard it all. Nate and Nick Diaz choking out everyone and knocking dudes out=Colby Covington's style? Colby's had 2 finishes in the UFC against scrubs, let's calm down here.
    He's had 4 finishes in only 10 UFC fights. So he's hardly just snoozing to decisions.

And you're aware there's more to one's style than simply the result, ya? His forward pressure and volume of strikes is completely comparable with the Diaz's.

I'm starting to think you just haven't actually watched the guy fight very much.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Some of these are admittedly pretty enjoyable.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's had 4 finishes in only 10 UFC fights. So he's hardly just snoozing to decisions.

And you're aware there's more to one's style than simply the result, ya? His forward pressure and volume of strikes is completely comparable with the Diaz's.

I'm starting to think you just haven't actually watched the guy fight very much.
    Jon Fitch had 4 finishes too.

Your comparisons are such a reach it's not even funny. He wrestles so he's like GSP, he puts on pressure even if his volume of strikes are pitiful but he's like the Diaz brothers lol.

Have I seen every single fight he's had? Of course not, 90% of them were on Fight Pass. I've seen at least half of his fights in the UFC. Can you say for a fact you have watched every performance of his and remember it verbatim?

Some of these are admittedly pretty enjoyable.
    How do you think I won Rajah MVP 3 years in a row? You're welcome.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Ok.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jose Aldo wants to retire this year and fight 3 times in Brazil before doing so. Who would you put down as his 3 final fights? And damn he is so young, and retiring as a top 5 fighter, possibly the GOAT Featherweight? Crazy.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Jon Fitch had 4 finishes too.
    At least you finally found something comparable between the two.

And yes, Colby's forward volume style is VERY Diaz-esque and I actually think I've mentioned it before on here.

You don't really watch Colby's fights, which is why you're wrong as fuck here and I can't fathom why you're even commenting. Or maybe you just can't see through all the steam coming from your nose when he's on your tv.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least you finally found something comparable between the two.

And yes, Colby's forward volume style is VERY Diaz-esque and I actually think I've mentioned it before on here.

You don't really watch Colby's fights, which is why you're wrong as fuck here and I can't fathom why you're even commenting. Or maybe you just can't see through all the steam coming from your nose when he's on your tv.
    Again, an extreme reach comparing anything he does to the Diaz Bros.

I watch his fights but they're nothing special. 25 years I've been watching MMA, you need to do a little more than Jon Fitch dudes to get my attention.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Moves forward relentlessly with pressure like the Diaz's ... check.
    Throws volume strikes from all angles while moving forward like the Diaz's ... check.
    Has cardio for days to do all of this nonstop like the Diaz's ... check.

Yup, clearly an extreme reach comparing any of this.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moves forward relentlessly with pressure like the Diaz's ... check.
    Throws volume strikes from all angles while moving forward like the Diaz's ... check.
    Has cardio for days to do all of this nonstop like the Diaz's ... check.

Yup, clearly an extreme reach comparing any of this.
    You just described Wanderlai Silva as well.

It's generic comparisons trying to fit some obscure opinion you're trying to sell me on. Talking about GSP and the Diaz bros=similar to Colby fucking Covington.

These type of statements should lead to people getting banned from watching the sport.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bullshit, Wanderlei threw strikes trying to knock people out. You've been watching MMA for 25 years yet you don't know what you're talking about.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prime Gray Maynard is probably the fighter I'd compare Colby to mostly. Had his dominant but listless performances, but also put in work where he bashed dudes up (the Jim Miller fight for example, and obviously the Edgar trilogy) but couldn't get the finish. It's a tough sport at the very top to get finishes when you're fighting the best of the best, durable, world calibre fighters and you don't have the natural knockout power and ground experience to navigate a stoppage. Colby's not my cup of tea, but I imagine he'd have choked the shit out of Marcus Davis and Kurt Pelligrino like Nate Diaz. When you consider his lack of power, going to a decision with Dong Hyun Kim, Demian Maia and Rafael Dos Anjos can't be considered a terrible thing considering those guys have a combined 1 submission loss (RDA, due to a jaw injury rather than a hold) in, by my count, SEVENTY TWO UFC fights. It's a similar situation to Gray - he was more of a heavy hitter, but fought a list of insanely durable fighters - Edgar, Florian, Clementi, Miller, Nate, Huerta, Siver - and just couldn't take them out.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Prime Gray Maynard is probably the fighter I'd compare Colby to mostly. Had his dominant but listless performances, but also put in work where he bashed dudes up (the Jim Miller fight for example, and obviously the Edgar trilogy) but couldn't get the finish. It's a tough sport at the very top to get finishes when you're fighting the best of the best, durable, world calibre fighters and you don't have the natural knockout power and ground experience to navigate a stoppage. Colby's not my cup of tea, but I imagine he'd have choked the shit out of Marcus Davis and Kurt Pelligrino like Nate Diaz. When you consider his lack of power, going to a decision with Dong Hyun Kim, Demian Maia and Rafael Dos Anjos can't be considered a terrible thing considering those guys have a combined 1 submission loss (RDA, due to a jaw injury rather than a hold) in, by my count, SEVENTY TWO UFC fights. It's a similar situation to Gray - he was more of a heavy hitter, but fought a list of insanely durable fighters - Edgar, Florian, Clementi, Miller, Nate, Huerta, Siver - and just couldn't take them out.
    I like the Maynard comparison. Can be boring as fuck while at times can really turn it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Bullshit, Wanderlei threw strikes trying to knock people out. You've been watching MMA for 25 years yet you don't know what you're talking about.
    If Colby had any power he could knock dudes out. If you're saying he isn't trying to finish people with strikes then damn, I guess he's more like Jon Fitch than I thought.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    You just described Wanderlai Silva as well.

It's generic comparisons trying to fit some obscure opinion you're trying to sell me on. Talking about GSP and the Diaz bros=similar to Colby fucking Covington.

These type of statements should lead to people getting banned from watching the sport.
    Cool, glad that's where we stand.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I like the Maynard comparison. Can be boring as fuck while at times can really turn it up.

- - - Updated - - -

If Colby had any power he could knock dudes out. If you're saying he isn't trying to finish people with strikes then damn, I guess he's more like Jon Fitch than I thought.
    Pay attention: I'm saying he throws strikes like the Diaz brothers.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pay attention: I'm saying he throws strikes like the Diaz brothers.
    He doesn't but that's a circular argument.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yes he does.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes he does.
    I think you and P are thinking of Joey Diaz and his brother Carlos.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gaethje v. Barboza set for ESPN 2 in Philly.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So Paulo Costa vs Yoel Romero looks to be set for its third attempt now for ESPN 3 in April.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Cerrone claiming he and Conor will fight for the 155 interim.

If so, fuckin ridiculous.

I mean Khabib can't just keep the belt hostage indefinitely, but Ferguson has gotta be kicking telephone poles hard right now reading that nonsense.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    What is the point of interim titles? Ferguson and Colby both had theirs stripped without ever fighting for the real belts. Does Conor vs Cowboy need it to sell that fight? Just mind-boggling.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don’t need it to justify the fight, it seems a pretty obvious business decision. If Conor wins it justifies the rematch with Khabib. Also makes it pretty difficult for Khabib for refuse.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    No it don't.

There ain't nothing about beating Donald Cerrone in 2019 that justifies a title rematch for a dude who got manhandled by the champion just one fight removed.

Beat Ferg, then we're talkin.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when Poirier said they were fighting for the 165 belt? Same shit here. Cerrone thinks it's happening because Khabib is talking about fighting GSP and plus he won't fight until his boys retutn

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Kelvin Gastelum vs Israel Adesanya for the interim middleweight belt at UFC 236.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Interim title Schminterim title ... love this fight nonetheless.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm usually with you as far as interim titles are concerned but this one is justified I think.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    No disagreement there. Whittaker's absence is what it is. I'm just jaded to fuck on so much as the term interim title.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dig it. Makes sense. The guy who was supposed to challenge v. the guy who was promised the title shot if he beat Anderson.

One of those times an interim title is justified. When you have a guy who pulled out of his last 2 title fights, it's hard not to think he could do it again. And at least this way, there's no doubt. Nobody really wants to see anyone else do they?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Pretty random but...

Anderson Silva vs Jared Cannonier at UFC 237.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty random but...

Anderson Silva vs Jared Cannonier at UFC 237.
    I thought that too. I think they really want Anderson to get a W and he'll retire. maybe?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If he loses he definitely needs to retire.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it looks like Usman v. Covington is next on the horizon.

UFC 237 will feature Jose Aldo v. Alexander Volkanovski. Very dangerous fight for both men!

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I like Aldo/Volkanovski.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I like both of those fights.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BJ Penn is fighting Clay Guida at UFC 237. Man that's a strange card. Jose Aldo, Anderson Silva, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and BJ Penn all fighting, underneath a women's strawweight fight. Imagine that 9 years ago to the day. The featherweight, lightweight and middleweight champions of the world, as well 18-3, just debuted in the UFC Little Nog, fighting before a pair of 115lb women.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Oh I do too. I didn't mean to leave out Usman/Covington, just that that fight wasn't breaking news.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BJ Penn v. Clay Guida was a dream fight of mine. After Penn's last 4 fights I have zero desire to see my favorite of all time go in the cage ever again. Guida is going to stomp him to death.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana's bitching about De La Hoya using Chuck Liddell looks silly considering how unathletic Penn is nowadays. He might get seriously hurt, particularly considering Guida is a volume puncher on the ground. BJ Penn shouldn't be taking 100 significant strikes to the dome at this stage in his life.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He has no business whatsoever fighting anymore. It's genuinely sad to watch.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana's bitching about De La Hoya using Chuck Liddell looks silly considering how unathletic Penn is nowadays. He might get seriously hurt, particularly considering Guida is a volume puncher on the ground. BJ Penn shouldn't be taking 100 significant strikes to the dome at this stage in his life.
    In the UFC's defense, apples to apples, Chuck Liddell is a 50 year old man who hadn't fought in 10 years who's last 5 losses, 4 were brutal KO's.

BJ Penn on the other hand has fought sporadically, only been finished by strikes twice in 5 years and those losses were 3 years apart.

WITH THAT SAID, as we are literally taking about my all time favorite #1 and #2 fighters ever, I think NEITHER belongs in the ring/cage. It's sad. The worst part for BJ is that at least Chuck is fighting equally shitty competition. Clay Guida....dude is a fucking beast even at this stage in his career, he can still go 15-25 like it ain't no thang!

If BJ and all his BJJ glory couldn't fuck with RYAN HALL and his leg lock wizardry, he's going to get smashed up by Guida. Win, lose, Penn should officially retire and stop trying to chase one last W. 9 years since his last win.....

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mad that Guida's going to end his career with wins over Penn, Pettis and RDA (all UFC lightweight champions), Gomi (PRIDE champion), Thomson (Strikeforce champion) and Nate Diaz (MMA "legend"). Crazy resume for a guy likely to be remembered as a gatekeeper.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mad that Guida's going to end his career with wins over Penn, Pettis and RDA (all UFC lightweight champions), Gomi (PRIDE champion), Thomson (Strikeforce champion) and Nate Diaz (MMA "legend"). Crazy resume for a guy likely to be remembered as a gatekeeper.
    He was a gatekeeper, no shame in that. Some of those "big" victories need context. I'm not sure the RDA he beat 9 years ago is the same RDA that went on to win the championship. Still, for the 15 year career he's had, definitely has some legit wins under his belt.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Anthony Smith vs Alexander Gustafsson to headline UFC Stockholm, June 1.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anthony Smith vs Alexander Gustafsson to headline UFC Stockholm, June 1.
    I don't know how I feel about this fight. I have no desire to see Gus v. Jones 3. But I also have no desire RIGHT NOW to see Smith v. Jones 2. And I feel a win for either guy....I mean who the hell would they fight next? Damn LHW division.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, smart fight really. No need for either of them to potentially knock off a Reyes or Walker when they're not touching a title shot anytime soon.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't know how I feel about this fight. I have no desire to see Gus v. Jones 3. But I also have no desire RIGHT NOW to see Smith v. Jones 2. And I feel a win for either guy....I mean who the hell would they fight next? Damn LHW division.
    I don't know man, 205 is looking a lot better lately. There's still Santos and Johnny Walker on the horizon. This isn't really a contenders fight but it is a good one to get one of those guys back on track.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know man, 205 is looking a lot better lately. There's still Santos and Johnny Walker on the horizon. This isn't really a contenders fight but it is a good one to get one of those guys back on track.
    Oh for sure. I think at the time I posted I was overthinking the match up. And when I said "Damn LHW division" it was moreso the fact there is a lot going on under Jones. I know Santos seems like a for sure next in line title shot guy.