Thread: The Walking Dead -TV thread - NO comic-related discussions

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by grimshaw View Post
    Apparently a hacksaw that can cut through human bone doesn't make a dent in handcuffs :/
    I am guessing that a zombie or two might have squeezed through the door leaving Merle no choice but to cut his hand off. I would reckon cutting of a wrist would be easier than cutting thru steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vice View Post

Also, did anyone else get a bit of a 28 Days Later vibe while Shane was beating the crap out of the guy with that music playing? The music is fairly similar to the 28 Theme in style, and it immediately made me think of Jim smashing that shithead's skull in.

Definitely felt the same to me. I thought for a second it was the same music.

Alf
    I love this show.

And yes, it's easier to cut through bone than steal... think about it for fuck sake.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not about bone being EASIER to cut than steel it's about steel being capable of being cut at all. There were some pretty heavy tools there I bet he could either have busted the cuffs or the tiny pipe it was connected too. The zombies couldn't get through and if they had they most likely would have remained on the roof. (I say probably because it's at least plausible that a child zombie could have gotten through but we've seen very very few child zombies.) He basically had until he starved to death or died of esposure to figure it out.

Still great episode. My main complaint is that human beings and emotions are random and stupid. But hey that's real life too.

I know there are various rational exceptions but still. It pisses me off.

Intercontinental Champion terencestamp7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we sure he cut his hand off? Maybe he broke his wrist, pulled it through, and that hand we saw belongs to a zombie?

On-nO Asscii to Asscii
    If you've got an itch, just go ahead and Miotch it
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're sure he cut his hand off.

Intercontinental Champion terencestamp7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed this episode. I enjoyed it more than the last one, and I liked the last one a lot. Andrew Lincoln is KILLING it. I wasn't into Bernthal as Shane from the first two episodes, but he really killed it here. Shane as a character in the comics didn't get my time as Kirkman was pushing the story forward a bit faster in the early issues, so it is nice to see more depth, more confliction.

I'm not sold on Lori. Or Carl. Carl has it rough in the coming seasons, and I dunno if this kid is gonna be able to pull it off.

The opening, with Rooker on the roof, just raving and insane before he gets that moment of clarity and start doing everything he can to get the saw ... man, that was powerful. Just a very powerful episode.

The ending, while a little bit weird with things like where's the blood, all that can be forgiven as dramatics to end the episode. We'll get our answers next episode.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by terencestamp7 View Post
    Are we sure he cut his hand off? Maybe he broke his wrist, pulled it through, and that hand we saw belongs to a zombie?
    He wouldn't have to break his wrist he would have to break his thumb. Even that doesn't mean you would get out of them.

Merle was extremely dehydrated and clearly not thinking things all the way thru. He saw what he considered his best source of action and took it.

Meh
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the advice of a workmate and started watching this. I caught up with replays.

I'm loving this show so far, and can't wait 'til next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hacksaw like the one he had would do an ok job getting through 3mm of steel. In any case he'd have a pretty good shot busting the handcuffs using some of the tools as levers, or just as bludgeons. Cutting bone isn't easy, and cutting your own bone is probably really effing difficult.

Ah well put it down to 'he is stupid' i guess.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd just say he was out of his mind at the time, and with zombies up against the door, he panicked. The black dude knew the lock would hold, but who knows if Dixon had that sort of confidence in it. If I was in his situation and was delirious and thinking I was about to die, I'd probably cut my hand off if I didn't make any immediate significant progress with cutting the handcuffs/whatever.

He is an uneducated hillbilly, not MacGyver.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Plus he's probably seen Saw.

On a serious note I know that some people in here have read the comics and so far they've been pretty good but if in the future you'd like to reference something that's coming that you know about because of the comic when you put it in a spoiler tag could you label it with "Comic Spoiler"?

Anything to that effect would be appreciated. Obviously I'm not a mod or anything, just thinking of a potential problem in the future.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I would just cut off my thumb and slip the hand out. It's better than losing your whole hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could probably just break your hand or break/dislocate the thumb?

Here for the Horsewomen
    Somebody get this freakin duck away from me!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just literally d/l and watched all 3 episodes til 4 in the morning. Gripping show. Very well done. I'm curious what Mr. Boondock Saint will do now that his brother is missing

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’re not really trying to rationalize the hand cutting are we? He would almost certainly go into shock while attempting to saw his hand off and then bleed to death shortly after. There is no rationalizing this, it's a zombie series, just go with it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A hacksaw like the one he had would do an ok job getting through 3mm of steel. In any case he'd have a pretty good shot busting the handcuffs using some of the tools as levers, or just as bludgeons. Cutting bone isn't easy, and cutting your own bone is probably really effing difficult.

Ah well put it down to 'he is stupid' i guess.
    That's kinda what I was thinking. And Matty we wanna rationalize it! It's fun to wonder why a guy would chop off his hand! Besides I'm genuinely curious as to how he got off the roof. I'm also curious as to how dead you have to be to not come back as a zombie (if it even works that way, could be like old school Dawn of the Dead where if you shoot a guy in the heart go to take a crap he'll be gone when you come back) so maybe he just leapt to his death to avoid becoming a geek.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I caught up, I like this show but I'm not completely loving it.

The wife seems a bit shit, and the saving grace for me was tHat the gangster guy from boondock saints showed up. The main actor is good, and usually this type of sci fi zombie trash isn't my cup of tea, but so far it is decent enough. I'll keep going but it is not in the same class as breaking bad or mad men. Then again mad men took a while to build.
    Last edited by Myles; November 19th, 2010 at 4:07 PM.

Loserweight Champion The Comet Kid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't read the comics but I assumed that Merle cut off his hand and ended up bleeding out on the rooftop but they just didnt show his body. His brother reacting the way he did I thought had to mean he died.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comics spoilers:

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so last night's episode was the first one I really didn't dig. I thought the interaction between the two hot blond sisters at the beginning was absolutely fucking stupid. I was watching it with 3 friends, all of whom have really been loving this show as much as I have, and we all just busted out laughing at that ridiculous fishing story they told about their father.

The "showdown" between our guys and the Vatos was hit and miss for me. It was necessary because they obviously want to show how the pockets of survivors interact with each other when their paths cross, but I thought the whole bit was a bit too by the numbers.

The end was cool, as the Z killing picked up, but on the whole I'd definitely say this was the weakest episode we've gotten so far. Never the less, I'm amped and excited to see the next episode. All I know is I want Rooker back, and soon.

BTW, this is something that's really bothered me in that nitpicky geek sort of way. Have these people never read the Zombie Survival Guide? Why on earth would you set up a stationary camp with no apparent intention of ever moving it. That's just stupid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kirkman stated that to make this work, no one has seen a zombie movie or read a zombie book.

I very much liked this episode. Robert Kirkman actually took the helm on this one, and you could tell. A lot of the dialogue is VERY Kirkman, from the fishing scene to Rick talking with the custodian in the retirement home. Not only that, but Jim got fleshed out a good bit, which I love, as I've always liked Jim. And then zombie killing action! I feel like some kind of soulless beast because I was just leaning forward and smiling, enjoying the carnage and slaying. Great episode. Number 2 is still the worst for me, and it was pretty awesome in itself.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    BTW, this is something that's really bothered me in that nitpicky geek sort of way. Have these people never read the Zombie Survival Guide? Why on earth would you set up a stationary camp with no apparent intention of ever moving it. That's just stupid.
    Part of the deal Rick made with Dale (the RV guy) was that Dale could ravage the cargo truck for the hose he needed (and any thing else he wanted) to fix the RV in exchange for use of the bolt cutters. So the biggest means of transportation is out of commission at the moment.

I do agree with you on.

Yea the second show was the weakest for me as well. It lacked the tension with the "walkers" that the first built up.

Loving this show.

Alf
    I loved it. The parts where they were following the blood trail, and finding out he'd cauterized his own wound was lovely. I like the showdown with the Mexican gang dudes, and I especially loved that it was all a front, and really they were bloody lovely blokes.

The Rick, you don't need to post stuff in spoiler tags if the ep has already been aired. There are UK viewers watching on the following friday, but they'd be idiots to look in this thread until they've caught up.

So, as Merle has the van... who reckons he lured the geeks to the camp to gain revenge for being left behind?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think Merle is a big enough dick to do that. Sure he's a racist prick but I don't get murder the last (white) people he knows about vibe off of him. If the geeks have anything to do with him (and I doubt they do. I think these guys had a false sense of security) it's more likely that blood loss and insane pain from cauterizing a wound just had him a bit loopy and he wasn't thinking straight.

I think it's safe to assume that a fair amount of the population hasn't read World War Z or Zombie Survival Guides and considering the speed at which these things always spread I think its safe to assume that surviving the lightning round has nothing to do with inteligence or survival instinct. Check Dawn of the Dead (remake) while there are hints that shits going bad the main charachter drives home takes a shower, gets it on with her man and then HOLY CRAP THE CITY IS ON FIRE!!!!!!!!!! In the Walking Dead the lead is unconscious for a few days. I don't know a lot about medicine but I don't recall him being on enough machinery to keep him alive indefinitely without care so I assume it was less than a week (okay it was probably magically a month or more since they had established scavenging techniques). By the time he wakes up the world is basically over and he survived not because he was a cop. Not because he was a loner but because for no good reason the zombies never checked what was behind door number 2.

What bugs me at the moment is that the Vatos had a working vehicle. It's not like the zombies seem to be so thick all the time that you can't plow through em with a car. Why didn't they zoom in grab bag o guns and zoom out?

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially if his own brother is among the potentially dead.

I also reckon a good amount of people has never read the books, but I can't imagine a group of people and not knowing some random fact about zombies.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was more commenting on the poster who said it's stupid to have a temporary settlement that can't up and leave a moments notice. And while I agree I don't think they've been attacked early or often enough to really have established that. Just like (and I'll watch the episode again) it seems like their idea of security is one guy sitting on top of his RV. . .during the day. No roaming patrols, no hard rules about sleeping inside something metal. These were arrogant bastards who were certain that they were safe.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the human relationships are coming across too forced and too quickly

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see your point sof. I think it’s a result of them originally thinking that they only had six episodes to make them all work. It hasn’t bothered me in general but I think the fishing scene was definitely a nod to that problem. They tried to make us care, knowing she would be gone soon and that we probably didn’t much care up to that point.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. I found the fish fry scene riveting because you knew something was going to happen but I was expecting Merle to storm the camp, not a zombie attack. Either way, I felt a lot of tension waiting for the inevitable conflict.

I liked the nod to other survivors and how they’re making it through things with the vatos. I totally didn’t expect them to just be a front.

Rick showed off how much of a badass he is as well, going in there ready for battle. They’re really trying to establish his steely demeanour.

I think Merle attacking the camp, or at least causing them a lot of trouble, will be the season finale.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kinda prefer the vatos.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching the most recent episode right now.

The scene between the sisters was just.. fucking hell. So fascinating and strangely beautiful. It just left me in awe. Nearly shed a tear, too. Might be my favorite scene from this show so far.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The scene between the sisters was just.. fucking hell. So fascinating and strangely beautiful. It just left me in awe. Nearly shed a tear, too. Might be my favorite scene from this show so far.
    Fuck yes. The episode was good all around, but that scene might be the most powerful scene in the season. God I can't wait for next week, and dread the wait for the next season.

You didn't see me, right? HHHnFoley_Rulez's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh oh, people dont "instantly" come back as zombies, instead taking like 12 hours, if not longer? Not cool in my book. Though I guess these are different "zombies" than the ones we're used to [/excuse]

Cant help but see this CDC thing as a big cliché. The scientist is bound to be evil.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comics spoilers
    I'm very excited.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last scene was pretty goddamn amazing too. Good episode.

With Desmond going bonkers in the hatch and losing his freshest meat for experimenting, I'm thinking they might go back and grab Jim since he's going to be pretty damn fresh come dawn. Plus it'd do the whole "he died, and we don't want to kill Zombie Jim, but he can save us all" shit that these shows/movies seem to love to do these days.

Really hoping Morgan shows up too, as I loved his character in the first episode. And even though he's only been in that one episode, I actually care about him quite a bit.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they just shot walkers on the way in. They are fresh and convenient. I want a zombie Jeff and Merle Dixon meeting.

Thinking maybe Morgan might cross paths with the family that left the party.
    Last edited by The Rick; November 29th, 2010 at 3:19 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rick View Post
    they just shot walkers on the way in. They are fresh and convenient.
    Freshly killed, yeah, but they could have been rotting for quite some time now. Weeks even. With Jim, he'll either just turn or just have turned by the time they get to him (if they do, of course), so he'll actually be very fresh and could provide great samples to work with.

And speaking of Merle, why the hell did Darryl not create a stink about leaving camp, knowing that Merle is most likely still alive, kicking, and driving around in their car?

Maybe he will cross paths with Morgan.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's a guy named desmond going bonkers in a hatch?

i think i know how this ends...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    The scene between the sisters was amazing. At one point I thought she was going to let her kill her so they could be together as a way of her saying "i'm sorry."

I don't get the mentality of letting yourself or a loved one become a zombie though. Yeah, it's just years of seeing other zombie flicks where one person begs another to not let it happen, but it still just doesn't feel right. In the sister's case I can see the mentality of her thinking so she could say her goodbye and apology but in Jim's case I am not sure why he would want to become a walker. Really thought Darryl was going to put an arrow in his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Majeek Morri View Post
    there's a guy named desmond going bonkers in a hatch?

i think i know how this ends...
    No you don't, and even if you did they wouldn't ever tell you how it ended anyways.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if Jim stayed & turned into one he'd probably be a detriment to the team. As far as the sisters are concerned, I thought the show operated under the guise that the team is unfamiliar with zombie knowledge

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean with regards to the dead rising again? It does, however in the first few episodes Rick see's the guys wife as a zombie, so people who die become zombies themselves. I also assume they've all seen someone die. As well as the soldiers in uniforms etc who rise up, obivously not old corpses. Unless I misunderstood your point.

Multiple comic spoilers!

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    The episode with The Vatos. Did anyone else think the main one was basically Mexican Denzil Washington? From how he looked, to how he spoke, was weird.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSlim21 View Post
    Well if Jim stayed & turned into one he'd probably be a detriment to the team. As far as the sisters are concerned, I thought the show operated under the guise that the team is unfamiliar with zombie knowledge
    Everybody knew the one sister was going to come back. That's why they kept having multiple discussions on what to do about it but ultimately did nothing because the other had a gun and wouldn't let anyone touch her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And speaking of Merle, why the hell did Darryl not create a stink about leaving camp, knowing that Merle is most likely still alive, kicking, and driving around in their car?
    I thought they did a pretty good job when they were leaving, and the family separated from them, of showing Darryl. Darryl seemed to be pretty antsy about the whole thing. He didn't have a single line, but he seemed to be saying lots with his face. He has faith that nothing can kill his brother, but has no idea where he is.

Same thing with when they left Jim. I thought it appeared Darryl had thought about shooting Jim in the head with the crossbow, and that Jim almost expected him to do it, but that he just turn and left instead, because "We don't kill the living."

Darryl is one of the most interesting characters to me. He seems torn between the mentality of his brother and the "family" he now has.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, I am very much enjoying Darryl's presence within the show.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this show, but I hate the direction it's [possibly] taking.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

The part where she let her zombie sister get close before shooting her was retarded, though. Move away before you fire that gun, you nutty bitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marathon this Sunday, gang. Tell a friend or 12.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Only saw the first two, finally caught up and caught the next two tonight.

I assume spoilers are OK.

Anyone else find themselves getting emotional behind the eyes when he saw his wife and son at the camp, knowing she was banging his best friend?

Or am I the only fag?

Meh
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not the only fag.

I must say, this past episode was "blah" until the end. The ending was VERY effective to me... as we FINALLY saw the only really level-headed person of the group (The Sheriff) lose his cool. They gambled EVERYTHING for this, and it was the first time he really had NO CLUE what to do and he finally lost his cool. Very effective.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freshly killed, yeah, but they could have been rotting for quite some time now. Weeks even. With Jim, he'll either just turn or just have turned by the time they get to him (if they do, of course), so he'll actually be very fresh and could provide great samples to work with.
    I wonder if the zombies that have been shot through the head are any good or not. I mean the whole point of shooting them in the head is to scramble their brains, wouldn't that make them useless as samples?

I wonder if he needs to remove a live brain, intact. Easier said than done, I agree but that would explain the heartbreak.

Also, having not read the comic spoilers, I feel that the scientist is going to purposely infect one of them to get his sample.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said. I can imagine the moment of insanity that Rick will have when he finds out about his wife technically cheating but not cheating on him. And I'm very curious as to what happens in the finale in that weird looking lab that looks like it was a stolen set from "the Tomorrow People."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't be able to watch the final episode tonight... these next 24 hours will suck.

Intercontinental Champion Andru's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty emotional finale. Ill wait till later in the week to elaborate, so people have the chance to watch it. Probably one of my favorite episodes of any TV series I have ever enjoyed watching.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the final episode of the season was alright since they didn't know the show would be back. Plenty of things set up for next season to flesh out.

Custom Loser Title eh eh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats the deal with this series my kulaks

worth a look? i kind of think zombies are gay so their presence is a bit of a turn off

anything else about this series that merits a look??? amc has quality schlock so i might look at this

Intercontinental Champion Andru's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Humungus View Post
    whats the deal with this series my kulaks

worth a look? i kind of think zombies are gay so their presence is a bit of a turn off

anything else about this series that merits a look??? amc has quality schlock so i might look at this

Even though the show is called "The Walking Dead", there is very little zombie action featured in some of the episodes. IMO, the show seems to focus much more on the characters and how they are dealing living in a world in which they are on their way to extinction.

I myself usually enjoy the zombie genre, however, with this specific show, I much prefer the depth and relationships of the characters and how they react to the situation they are in.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't see how this episode advanced anything. It seemed like they were stalling, really.

Darryl is awesome. I don't think he's in the comic, but he's the best character on the show. I don't know what happened to Merle. The teased his re-appearance in earlier episodes and then nothing came of it.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    I don't see how this episode advanced anything. It seemed like they were stalling, really.
    I think that was probably deliberate, even though they have a 2nd series now.

I guess I'll wack some spoilers on..

Anyway, probably not on again till October 2011? God damnit!

edit:
    Last edited by HHHnFoley_Rulez; December 6th, 2010 at 7:28 AM.

Alf
    I reckon it is that Lori is up the duff. Didn't he do blood tests on them?

Anyone who has read the graphic novels... can you shed some light on it (in spoiler tags)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Dr Tancredi's definitely got a little one inside, surely (all speculation). And your man from Teachers reckons it's his but I'm not so sure.

I thought the brain scan video was utter tripe, boring. The rest of the episode was great, though. I'm kinda annoyed the blonde woman didn't die though, she does nothing but moan. Loved the hungover chinaman and Darryl is a mad dog. The rape(ish) scene was super interesting, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Up the duff?"

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be pregnant according to Urban Dictionary, which would make for a fantastic brawl between Rick and Shane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post

Anyone who has read the graphic novels... can you shed some light on it (in spoiler tags)?

It was an ... interesting finale. It felt ... unnecessary. Probably because it never happened in the comics. The whole CDC thing, the whole TS-19 thing, Jenner ... none of that is in the comics. It was just a pointless way to get an explosion and kill off another side character. There is a moment in the comics (that hasn't happened in the show) that I thought for CERTAIN was going to be the finale, the final shot of season 1. Apparently not.

I did like that we got to see the grenade come back, and I like to think that the abused wife took it while cleaning to one day use on her husband, though she never got the chance.

The actors in this show are just phenomenal. I'm really drawn in by them, with very few exceptions. I look forward to seeing the casting of the next few additions to the cast that most certainly must be coming with Season 2.

Bothers me that we don't really get an closure on Merle. Though Darryl joining the "family" of the survivors more and more is a fun journey to watch.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was disappointed by this episode. If it were just an episode in the line then it would have been good, but not great. The series built up show after show, and then the pay-off wasn't there. We know that there is going to be a second season, but this was to be a possible finish if there wasn't one. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSlim21 View Post
    To be pregnant according to Urban Dictionary, which would make for a fantastic brawl between Rick and Shane
    Thanks. I was thinking that's what it meant due to the context, but you never know these days. Apparently, I behind on the pregnancy slang.

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Does Shane get all rape-y in the comics? My friend has the first volume and I don't remember seeing that anywhere. It seemed pretty pointless. How would he think forcing Lori to have sex would help him in anyway?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Shane get all rape-y in the comics? My friend has the first volume and I don't remember seeing that anywhere. It seemed pretty pointless. How would he think forcing Lori to have sex would help him in anyway?
    Negative, never happened in the comics.

As for the episode - Well, the guy was drunk as hell. And borderline psychotic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a pretty weak scene. It came off as utterly forced and seemed to be a rather stupid thing for him to do in the situation they all find themselves. In fact, I'd say the melodrama around Shane and Lori has probably been my least favorite aspect of the show, so far. Is their relationship so soap opera-ish in the comics, too?

Anyways, I watched the arrival to the CDC episode for the first time, last night, before the finale. I enjoyed both episodes. I agree with HHHnFoley that the scientist not being some cliched evil weirdo was refreshing. I kind of wish we'd be seeing more of him, honestly.

Also, Andrea makes my pants get tighter when I look at her. She's a stone cold fox.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero View Post
    That was a pretty weak scene. It came off as utterly forced and seemed to be a rather stupid thing for him to do in the situation they all find themselves. In fact, I'd say the melodrama around Shane and Lori has probably been my least favorite aspect of the show, so far. Is their relationship so soap opera-ish in the comics, too?

I agree wholeheartedly. Knowing what I know from the comics (above), while I love the actor playing Shane ... I hate the chick playing Lori ... and those scenes are always REALLY forced to me.

SUPERDUPER SPOILER BELOW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they go that route in the show, I'll be a very happy guy.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the finale quite a bit. I think the rape-y was thrown in because they really have to try to make him the bad guy. I'm sorry he made the right call selling Lori her husband was dead. He was on life support when the power went out, that kinda makes him dead. Even if that wasn't enough because it is possible he was in a hospital where the military were gunning people down and honestly no good reason why wouldn't have put one in him. And that bed isn't heavy enough to stop these zombies.

These aren't stupid zombies like we're used to. These things are problem solving smart. Maybe not as smart as raptors but we've seen them climbing fenses (Rather than just pushing against it until the weight of their numbers knock it down) we've also seen them using rocks to break windows back in episode 2. The idea that they wouldn't push a bed out of the way to get at the yummy meat package just laying there all unable to run. The fact that he lived is only cus he has the same stuff that keeps Jack Bauer alive. Plot Armor.

Maybe it's just me but if there is a zombie apocalypse and my best friend is fucking my girlfriend but she's alive, and so is my son. I'm going to personally thank him.

When I find out my wife is pregnant by him. I'm going to say you didn't use protection? You would bring a baby into this fucked up world!? But I would have assumed that my not unattractive wife and not unattractive friend (especially if they weren't so close that it's like a sister relationship)living in a world that might have less than twenty people in it period. Of course their fucking. If they weren't something would be terribly terribly wrong.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There's a bunch of hub-jub going on about whether or not Frank Darabont fired the writers.

I think I'd enjoy the show more if they stayed as close to the source material as possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind a little fiddling with the source material. But it is plainly obvious that the large derivations (i.e. the finale) were awful by comparison. Fiddle with things, play around with who lives and dies, but let the story progress how Kirkman did it in the comics. He knew what he was doing. Hopefully he'll be doing another episode (at least one more) because the Vatos were just so SO endearing, and they came straight from that man's brain, which is why they worked.

Alf
    I thought the rapey scene was excellent. I haven't read the comics so can't compare it really.... but in terms of a drama it was a great scene. It was horrifying and uncomfortable, and it didn't feel like it was a leap for the character. He's a guy who had to leave his best mate for dead, he saved his family, he fell for his mates wife, he started a relationship with her, and then his mates shows up and she acts like nothing has happened. The guy is clearly a bit screwey what with the way he battered that guy, and aimed his shotty at Rick in the woods...

They are all under an insane amount of pressure and after a bit of booze it got out of hand. It doesn't feel forced to me at all, in fact it's natural. That kind of boozy rape happens all the time without the need for a zombie apocalypse and a back-from-the-dead love triangle to makes things more pressured.

Alf
    Quote Originally Posted by Deewun View Post
    I don't mind a little fiddling with the source material. But it is plainly obvious that the large derivations (i.e. the finale) were awful by comparison. Fiddle with things, play around with who lives and dies, but let the story progress how Kirkman did it in the comics. He knew what he was doing. Hopefully he'll be doing another episode (at least one more) because the Vatos were just so SO endearing, and they came straight from that man's brain, which is why they worked.
    I have to chime in here.

He wrote the ep didn't he? He didn't direct it... so credit has to go to the director too for maintaining the vision and style of the show, and for getting the correct performance out of the actors. There's an infinite number of ways you can interpret a script.

The ep doesn't stand out stylistically or from a character perspective for me, and it maintains and moves on the plot. The episode isn't an island. It is still part of the show, and is consistent with the rest of the show.

I think this is a placebo effect because fans of the graphic novels know he wrote them, know he wrote that ep... and so they project an extra dimension.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You missed my point. That episode introduced new material to the Walking Dead universe as we know it, the Vatos. The Vatos were not in the comic books. Compare how well written the Vatos were to Jenner and the CDC. You are certainly right, all the tone and style was there, and the director did a fantastic job. But the writing, the written word, the pace and flow from scene to scene, that is all very different than it was at the CDC. That is what I want to see if there is to be more new things within the context of the show.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally saw this last night. I thought it was a fairly gripping episode. I’m glad that I haven’t read the comics because it seems like those that loved them are the ones having the most trouble with the direction of the show. I’m really enjoying it.

Show spoilers

I’m glad that wasn't the finale for the series though. I really want to know where it goes next. My wife says they got 16 million viewers for this episode, if that’s true AMC is probably kicking themselves for not filming more than six episodes.

She mentioned them firing all of the writers as well. I’m lost as to why they would do that…

You missed my point. That episode introduced new material to the Walking Dead universe as we know it, the Vatos. The Vatos were not in the comic books. Compare how well written the Vatos were to Jenner and the CDC. You are certainly right, all the tone and style was there, and the director did a fantastic job. But the writing, the written word, the pace and flow from scene to scene, that is all very different than it was at the CDC. That is what I want to see if there is to be more new things within the context of the show.
    I really didn't notice that much of a difference at all. I agree with Alf in it being overstated due to the source of the material.
    Last edited by Matty C; December 7th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am too, considering the writing has been top notch up to this point.

Alf
    The tone and flow is dictated by the edit more than the script. I guarantee there was a lot of content they had to cut when they got to the editing stage.

Jenner and the CDC had to be different. There had to be contrast between those two sets of characters and areas because they are so vastly different. On the one hand you have a group who have to act tough and ruthless to survive, and who are very much in the middle of the horror... and then you have a dude who is isolated, protected, safe, and clinical.

And really, I don't think there is a massively noticable shift in tone from episode to episode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah actually if I'm honest I think Dr Jenner was a far more realistic character than the Vatos, who would almost surely have stood down in that standoff long before it got that far, if they were as good-natured as they were made out to be later. I found their story interesting but I thought the script sacrificed realism and relatability for comic effect.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The guy who plays Rick looks like a mixture of Dennis and Charlie from "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia".

Alf
    Lads... I just picked this up...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walking-Dea...1891378&sr=8-1

Tremendous value.

Hero From The Beyond UncannyIowan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't really been into any shows since The Shield and this is a great one to follow. Too bad there weren't very many episodes but I know Season 2 is in the future and I can't wait. I knew about the comics, just never read them, definitely going to now.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah actually if I'm honest I think Dr Jenner was a far more realistic character than the Vatos, who would almost surely have stood down in that standoff long before it got that far, if they were as good-natured as they were made out to be later. I found their story interesting but I thought the script sacrificed realism and relatability for comic effect.
    For me it goes further than that. I'm rewatching the series over the next week or so. The entire confrontation shouldn't have happened. Your in zombie land and you a) dont' notice a guy standing in the open instead of say hiding behind a trash can for a while. b) when he asks you to quiet down rather politely you don't remember the zombie horde your summoning?

Not to mention they had a car and causing a ruckus at one end of the block, just enough that you draw away enough that the car can roll over them, knock them aside, etc and grab the bag o guns?

If you were worried about marauders make the trade man for man trade (unless your men are expendable cus marauders aren't going to care) it's like they did EVERYTHING stupid.

They're cool cus the concept is cool but I find it to be the worst episode (granted I only get six to pull from)

It felt like they had five episodes and then one filler cus nobody knew what to do.

I guess it's a good thing I'm not on the show, when I'm hiding from killer cannibals with a crossbow I ask you to be quiet twice. Then I shot out your larynx, reload and go back to protecting me and mine.

PS: Am I the only one that thinks that something about Dr. Jenners really reminds them of Dexter. I'm not sure what exactly I'm seeing. I just know that I'm watching this a second time and I'm getting the same vibe.

Also considering how little time was left and how little hope he had left he was kinda being a dick not letting the kids get some Ms.Pacman in.
    Last edited by The Doc; December 18th, 2010 at 3:17 AM.

Site Meditator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't read through a lot of this thread as I don't want it to be ruined for me, I'm only a few episodes in.

BUT

As soon as I watched the first episode I said "fucking hell, he looks like the guy from this life" and it is....

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow

Site Meditator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy times

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was awful. Nothing but filler. The premise of the last episode was sensational and ended up being some wishy washy bullshit about how drink can turn people into demons. Awful

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course she would be, it's the simplest most bullshit way for the character to go.

Called the black woman staying, felt a bit pointless as you knew fuck all about her. It's a shame they couldn't have crowbarred her going fishing with a relative to make us care more

Why hasnt he asked whats going on? He's been out for a week or whatever found his family and hasnt said to anyone hey how did all this start? He didnt ask to doctor or anything else. What the fuck?

Why are they all so stupid? MY GOD THE BRAIN IT'S REACTIVATED THE BRAIN! OHH MY GOD. What the fuck do you thinks been going on? I mean jesus christ. 2 of them are taken axes to the fucking glass and it doesnt work so some retard hits it with a chair. A fucking chair. GOOD WORK DICKHEAD

The only thread im in anyway interested in is the lad they left by the roadside. If he becomes a sentinent being as a zombie I'll be back on board. He won't though they will hint he will then they'll kill him STUPID STUPID STUPID

THIS HURTS MY INSIDES
    Last edited by son_of_foley; January 4th, 2011 at 9:55 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He hasn't asked because he already knows. And he already knows because we already know what's going on, at least as much as anybody on the show knows.

And they didn't know what was going on was aside from destroying the brain kills them they had no way of knowing it was bringing the brain back or how. They know about the fever and that it's (now) spread by bites. Presumably based on the numbers it's air borne or at least one strain is and all the survivors are immune to the air borne strain. They don't seem to bleed so their hearts aren't working, judging by limb loss and how much blood would be lost from said wounds their muscles don't need oxygen to function. Why would they assume that the brain is functioning and on what level?

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How else would they be moving if the brain wasnt firing on some level? If something is moving and destroying the brain stops it you dont think it maybe would be self-evident that the brain is still in some way active? I mean it would be a massive suprise to you on the level it was to them. I mean I know this is zombie science and all but come on.

What do you mean he already knows? He already knows how it started? When it started? Where it started? What happened with the president with everything else. What news got out before the signals went dead. Whether it's in other countries. They knew about the safe military area but they havent mentioned anything else. You dont find that weird that they havent shared any of it yet, even if it was misdirection and hearsay before revealing the truth in a few seasons time? I think the basis and start of the outbreak is a very pivotal point of the storytelling.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How else would they be moving if the brain wasn't working? How are their muscles working when the heart clearly isn't pumping and their muscles aren't getting oxygen? There is X amount of magic we are simple accepting to get the story moving in the first place. Take the brain is zombie science as you put it but it's like wooden stakes for vamps. It's not that it makes sense it's just what works.

To your second question it was basically answered in episode 1. It's airborn. It killed damn near everybody. It's global (answered in episode 6) and fucked over everybody around the world. It doesn't need explaining cus honestly zombie infestations rarely get explained. We just accept it as an audience and thus the haven't wasted screem time pointing it out

Alf
    And the whole point is... why would they know?

They'd only know what is going on through media reports while society crumbles. They aren't privy to any kind of information.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know there is X amount of magic. I'm not questioning the science or underlying concepts of Zombiefication and saying it's unrealistic. I'm saying the shocking news that the brain is somehow working, was not that shocking. If it's the point that kills them, then you would assume that it's active. I mean that makes sense right? If a stake through the heart kills a vampire would you be suprised if in a tv show they said my god the Vampires heart is still beating? If it's the control point of the zombie it has to be engaged in someway.

The muscles moving etc is a scientific point about zombies. It's not pivotal to how they die therefore not really relevent. The fact is they are aware that the brain is the control point for zombies (ie the target for killing them) and therefore it shouldnt be played up as a massive suprise that it's been re-activated.

It's global but to what degree. It started where and when?

Zombie Infestations should be explained. It's an important crux as it lets you know the parameters for success. Is there somewhere they can escape to? If not is there a military controlled area? If not is there any end in sight. I mean thats surely the only reason they brought that Dr in to lead us to believe that science, or conventional science, has failed in finding a cure. It's to give us the parameters of the storyline and I personally believe the origins and early impacts contribute to that.

I mean in 28 days later doesn't Cillian Murphy as soon as he can speak to someone say what the fuck happened? What about muh what about muh didnt this happen? Ohh fuck and then boom we at least know he can't just sail to france and be ok.

I thought World War Z showed the strength in defining the origins of what happened. Even just monitoring the spread of it and timelines. I don't see it as any more a waste of screen time than what happened with the doctor. They are trying to explore human themes as much as possible around this and I think peoples instant reactions to the trauma would be more interesting to their interactions with a DR who let them in but failed to mention the place would be self-destructing in 1 day

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the whole point is... why would they know?

They'd only know what is going on through media reports while society crumbles. They aren't privy to any kind of information.
    Thats pretty much exactly what I put in. What they could have gleamed from media reports. What reason they have for believing they have any chance of survivial? Why they havent killed themselves? Where are they heading? What areas are possible for them to go to. It's not a massive thing but for realism it makes sense.

I'm not asking for answers but just the belief that Andrew Lincolns character cares about what happened before he woke up. That he wants to know, that he needs to know something. I understand it doesnt change the situation they find themselves in massively but a bit of background about how they got there seems more important to me than two women discussing how they used to go fishing

Here for the Horsewomen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who have AMC (not sure if it airs internationally & where), all 6 episodes being run again tonight & tomorrow beginning at 8pm EST

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the DVD came out (20 bucks, 22 on bluray here!) and I am in love all over again. While I wish there were commentaries on the six episodes, there were HOURS of documentary/featurette footage, so its a wash.

And it got me thinking. Season 2 is a big deal, and will be introducing at least a handful of new characters that we KNOW will show up (from the comic), as well as some we don't. So I figure I'll get the ball rolling before the casting actually starts to see what you guys think. And just in case you don't know these characters from the comics or the interviews Kirkman and Darabont have been doing, I'll spoiler them.