User Tag List

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bellator Fighting Championships

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there was (obscene) talk on the net that he'd be cut with a loss to Randy, and his shot came as an injury replacement. I don't think many people put much stock in the fight though, Rampage didn't gain much traction (was scheduled to fight T. Silva, eventually fought Hamill) and Machida still stayed in relevant fights. Wasn't one of those career altering fights like a, say, Diego Sanchez vs. Paolo Thiago, where one guy got the win and went back to the main events while the other tumbled down the card. They fought, it happened, one had a W, one had an L, and they both pretty much stayed the same.

Big Cheicky Kongo fighting on the next Bellator. Against some Brit. Lavar Johnson is on as well. Johnson vs. Kongo sounds a good fight in a "Cheick Kongo will either die or win by submission" kind of way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who the shit is Mark Godbeer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has beaten a man called Caitlin and a man called Hooker.

Make him fight Fallon Fox.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the MMA websites are already overlooking Kongo and Lavar's opponents, but if recent history has proven anything, the guys who made a name in the UFC, they haven't done so well. I'll be surprised if both guys win. I think I said it a few posts ago that the best thing for Bellator is to have these guys that have somewhat of a name LOSE to the unknown fighters kind of like the UFC did when booking the TUF 1 cast after the finale. After the finale, they were put up against mediocre vets and by winning it made people go "Ok Chris Leben must be pretty good if he dropped Cote and Rivera". Obviously the depth wasn't there back in 2005, but you get the point.

By beating the "UFC guys" it shows that the UFC isn't 110% the place to be as a fighter if they come to Bellator and lose when they were doing ok in the UFC. Now I know that in reality the UFC is the place to be right now, but you get where I'm going.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    To be fair these "UFC guys" in Bellator are wash-outs and beating them should not necessarily indicate the ability to hang with the cream of the crop in the UFC.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    To be fair these "UFC guys" in Bellator are wash-outs and beating them should not necessarily indicate the ability to hang with the cream of the crop in the UFC.
    But what I'm saying is that if these guys came in and kicked everyone's ass then it'd really make Bellator look extremely subpar, whereas if the "Bellator" guys are beating up the cast offs, then it at least shows that Bellator isn't a backyard promotion. They have a lot of tough fighers, not all but they have quite a few who I think would do very very well in the UFC.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    The main card for the Bellator PPV is complete:

Quinton Jackson vs. Tito Ortiz
    Michael Chandler vs. Eddie Alvarez (LW title)
    Muhammed Lawal vs. Emanuel Newton
    Pat Curran vs. Daniel Straus (FW title)
    Cheick Kongo vs. Vinicius Queiroz (HW tourney final)

Spike TV preliminary card:
    Joe Riggs vs. Mike Bronzoulis
    Terry Etim vs. Patrick Cenoble

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget King Mo-Newton is for the Interim LHW title. Woo Hoo!

Not a bad card at all, looks like a Pride card where you have 2 legends headlining and the rest of the card is stacked with a lot of young fighters who kick all types of ass. The LW title and FW title fights will be the best fights on the card for sure.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    One hell of a pay per view debut for Bellator. I'd rank it up there with some of the UFC's.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if they manage to get 100k buys that's a success, 200k would be awesome. They're still a young company, they could have Anderson Silva or GSP headlining and I wouldn't expect them to have UFC ppv numbers for their first show.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the main page regarding the upcoming ppv on Nov. 2nd featuring Mark Hammer's dad and Tito Ortiz:

The upcoming Bellator MMA pay-per-view, which will be headlined by part-time TNA Impact Wrestling performers Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Tito Ortiz, and features another TNA part-timer in "King" Muhammad Lawal (King Mo) on the undercard, is having some trouble selling tickets. As of right now, the event has only sold 1,700 tickets, which is not a good sign. While ticket sales and pay-per-view numbers don't always correlate, they are a more often than not a good indicator.

I don't know how terrible that is, but it does seem like 3 weeks away from the ppv and barely selling 2,000 tix is a bad sign.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, not looking good. A shame really because it is a good-looking lineup but it goes to show you that the UFC brand itself tends to be what sells tickets.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, not looking good. A shame really because it is a good-looking lineup but it goes to show you that the UFC brand itself tends to be what sells tickets.
    Yeah I mean I'm sure even the UFC has a hard time selling tickets for events that maybe have 1 big fight and the rest of the card is guys/girls who haven't really become a household name yet. There's still time to make something happen, hopefully the venue they have isn't gigantic where it'll look like no one showed up.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very odd considering Affliction, WEC and Strikeforce all did some solid gates without household names like Ortiz and Rampage on it. Probably doesn't help, perhaps quite strategically, that the UFC is running California a month later with a load of the top local talent. They're going to take a big loss I'd imagine, all the champions are on a decent wedge, Alvarez's contract is massive (for the second division), and Ortiz, Rampage, Kongo and Lawal are all on big bucks too. If this does TNA's best buyrate say (comparative because they're promoted on the same network), they're still going to take an absolute raping at the box office. Massive losses. Affliction did 100,000 with Tim Sylvia fresh off a big UFC card against the GOAT, Babalu, Barnett, Arlovski and Vitor. They went kaplunk after 2 shows and they did tremendous gates. Salary not as high with Bellator but Affliction's live gate paid that off. I hope it does well because those fighters need to be seen by people, but I can see them getting shagged. 2 weeks before fucking GSP as well. 2 weeks after a UFC heavyweight title fight. Mad.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Very odd considering Affliction, WEC and Strikeforce all did some solid gates without household names like Ortiz and Rampage on it. Probably doesn't help, perhaps quite strategically, that the UFC is running California a month later with a load of the top local talent. They're going to take a big loss I'd imagine, all the champions are on a decent wedge, Alvarez's contract is massive (for the second division), and Ortiz, Rampage, Kongo and Lawal are all on big bucks too. If this does TNA's best buyrate say (comparative because they're promoted on the same network), they're still going to take an absolute raping at the box office. Massive losses. Affliction did 100,000 with Tim Sylvia fresh off a big UFC card against the GOAT, Babalu, Barnett, Arlovski and Vitor. They went kaplunk after 2 shows and they did tremendous gates. Salary not as high with Bellator but Affliction's live gate paid that off. I hope it does well because those fighters need to be seen by people, but I can see them getting shagged. 2 weeks before fucking GSP as well. 2 weeks after a UFC heavyweight title fight. Mad.
    Yup. I personally think that Bellator should not have gone the ppv route just yet. I don't know what their ratings are like, but if the UFC were willing to put Hendo/Rampage on free t.v., I don't see what the problem would be with Ortiz-Rampage on a Saturday on Spike. There's just too much on ppv these days, WWE has 12 ppvs, UFC has 12, and this month alone around that date you'll have WWE's Hell In A Cell featuring the return of John Cena and the blowoff between Orton-Daniel Bryan in the Cell, you have TNA's biggest ppv of the year BFG, plus you have Cain V v. JDS this weekend and then GSP v. Hendricks. These are just the events around Nov. 2nd.

The only way Bellator is going to get a good ppv buyrate is if the ppv is only $30. I haven't checked my guide to see how much it is but if it's any higher I'd be suprised if they got more than 40,000 buys. I'm being very generous because I think if they promote it hard, Rampage and Tito can still draw. There's a reason Tito only fought 1 time for free and was always on the main card in a featured bout, Dana can say what he wants but if he was shit Dana wouldn't have put him on the ppv main card, he'd be fighting on prelims or headlining Fight Nights. Rampage still has a strong fanbase. The downside for those 2 is that they're both on like 3-4 fight losing streaks, so that might make it a hard sell for fans who stay updated and might not know the rest of the fighters on the card. King Mo is a decent name but his status in the MMA world with fans is greatly exaggerated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    King Mo's stock hit rock bottom when he got backfisted by a relatively low profile fighter who made him look like nothing special.

They can still do Rampage/Mo sometime though and I'd watch that all day.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WEC 48 did 175,000. It did have UFC backing and promotion but that was back when UFC was on Spike themselves. That main card had 1 fighter that had ever been on PPV, Manny Gamburyan. Theoretically there is scope for another company to get that with the right advertisement. PRIDE back in the day did 40,000 for Fedor/Coleman II. I don't think it helps Bellator that they put on live fights EVERY WEEK, they've got to sell the fighters on TV as stars to get people to watch the TV, but if everybody's promoted as a star then you don't pay for something you can see for free.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    http://rajah.com/node/36802

Thats that then.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fuck me. The rest of the card is good but these numbers are going to be dreadful.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a ppv anymore. They really should've just replaced Tito. Mo said he was game.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Well, Chandler/Alvarez was the true main event anyways..

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    In theory yes but that wasn't the fight people were going to pay for.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I know.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Ben Askren competed in wrestling last night and defeated 2-time NCAA champion Quentin Wright 22-8. I believe they wrestled at LHW (197 lbs.), pretty cool.

Aaron 'A-Train' Simpson and Lance Palmer also wrestled but lost their matches. Palmer is 7-0 in MMA and trains with Team Alpha Male.
    Last edited by OD50; October 28th, 2013 at 4:26 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gutted the Rampage-Ortiz fight isn't happening because Bellator put a lot of money and promotion behind hyping up their ppv. I was really getting into the Rampage reality show, too. Fuckin' Tito. Of course it would be something like a fractured neck, hope he heals.

The one thing that has bothered me though is, why not find Rampage a replacement, ppv or not? Rampage did an interview and idk if he was joking but he was like "Get me Kimbo Slice". Just a little shocked that Bellator doesn't have any LHWs that Rampage would be willing to throw down with but when you're a novelty act as opposed to someone who wants to be champion, win fights, I guess I can see why this was the result. Bellator was saying basically the fight is either not going to ever happen or it'll happen in 2-3 months if Tito is ok to go.....

Props to Bellator for putting this on Spike, imo that's where it should've been since day one.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bellator would have to be run by village idiots for them to decide to go through with this as a ppv.

Rampage taking a replacement fight would have been ideal though but I can't say I blame him for not risking a new opponent with a week or two training camp. He is riding a 3 fight skid after all.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bellator would have to be run by village idiots for them to decide to go through with this as a ppv.

Rampage taking a replacement fight would have been ideal though but I can't say I blame him for not risking a new opponent with a week or two training camp. He is riding a 3 fight skid after all.
    But it was for a fight against Tito Ortiz. I saw Jason Lambert returned to MMA, that guy used to fight at 205, just won a fight in Bellator a few months back on the prelims. I'd be curious to know if and who Bellator offered to replace Tito with and what Rampage's response was. Maybe they offered him someone but said it wouldn't be on ppv, he prob was set to get a decent % of the ppv revenue, and was like Naw, I'm going back to the studio with Warren G to work on my alien raps.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rampage v. Joey Beltran Nov. 15th Bellator 106 Full article from BJPenn.com below:

http://www.bjpenn.com/rampage-jackson-vs-joey-beltran-set-for-bellator-108-main-event/

Too bad we couldn't see this on Saturday. Pretty bad when Beltran is considered a step up in competition.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Rampage must be happy, that's an about as tailor made opponent he could ever face.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Eddie looks to be in crazy shape..

Still have Chandler winning though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Open workouts..

Eddie Alvarez:

Michael Chandler:

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm torn on this fight. I've actually seen more Chandler fights than Alvarez fights and Chandler just murders dudes. I think Chandler is who I'm going with, he's been more active and again I'm not too familiar with Alvarez. I know he gets a lot of respect, considered one of the top guys not in the UFC at 155, and he's beaten quite a few big names over the last 7-8 years.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Shit I've followed Alvarez all the way back since Bodog when he KO'd Derrick Noble or whoever it was., Then EliteXC -> DREAM -> Bellator. He's a beast but yeah, so is Chandler for sure. Must say that I have never seen Alvarez as sharp and crisp though, he's always been more of a wrestler/brawler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Derrick Noble had some big titties

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Shit I've followed Alvarez all the way back since Bodog when he KO'd Derrick Noble or whoever it was., Then EliteXC -> DREAM -> Bellator. He's a beast but yeah, so is Chandler for sure. Must say that I have never seen Alvarez as sharp and crisp though, he's always been more of a wrestler/brawler.
    It's funny, I used to watch Bodog on ION all the time, and all I remember are the female fights and seeing Daniel Puder fight. Oh and Royce Gracie did some commentary when they had an event set up on the beach and it was like 110 degrees outside.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    This could easily end up the greatest 'in-ring' trilogy ever in MMA, both fights have been off the hook. These guys were meant to beat the shit out of each other round after round.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very pissed that my DVR was set to run 30 minutes over and I still missed the last 8-9 minutes of the fight. It was a solid fight, idk if I'd say it could EASILY wind up being one of the greatest trilogies, guess it depends on the competition lol. But it was a good fight, and I was a little surprised by what I saw that Eddie won, but again, my DVR cut off I think about the 3 minute mark of round 4 and up until then it looked like Chandler had a pretty good shot at retaining.

King Mo v. Newton, that fight was pretty boring and didn't go as I expected at all. I figured Mo would've been able to inflict a lot more punishment on the ground but he didn't really go for the killshots like he has in other fights. Newton catching him with that headkick was really the only solid offense I saw from Newton, but when you watch a fight on fast forward for the last 2 rounds because it just looked like 2 gassed out mediocre fighters killing time, it's hard to really judge what either guy did to win.

Curran couldn't find his rhythm, Daniel was very strong and had a solid gameplan. Curran is def the more exciting of the two, but he needs to work a little bit more on his takedown defense and maybe try to get some subs going.

There was a pretty loud "FUCK YOU TITO" chant going.

Riggs v. Greek Guido was OK, the 2nd round I believe was 4 1/2 minutes of Riggs trying to apply the RNC. Riggs looks and sounds like shit, but I wish the best for him in the 170 tourny.

The Mike Richman fight was nice, pretty nasty TKO victory.

Also, the event ran so long over the alotted time that there was a fight AFTER the Alvarez/Chandler fight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    What trilogies would be better 'in-ring'? Not talking hype and shit but actual fight quality.

One of the Wand/Rampage fights consisted of Wanderlei just holding Rampage for five minutes before killing him with knees. The UFC one was pretty much a nothing fight, some circling and punching air before Wand got KTFO.

Fedor/Nog 2 was a nothing fight ending as a NC after a couple of minutes.

CC/Barnett 1 was a complete nothing fight due to Barnett's freak injury at 0:46. Second fight was ok but nothing special and the third was a one-sided beating.

Cain/JDS: Flash KO/one sided mauling/one sided mauling

What else is there, Spencer Fisher/Sam Stout, Roger Bowling/Bobby Voelker or Marius Zaromskis/Waachiim Spiritwolf. I won't even mention Tim Sylvia/AA (quadrilogy?) or Tito/Ken.

Alvarez/Chandler 1 & 2 was badass, wouldn't surprise me if part 3 will be as well.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Honestly can't remember the Couture/Liddell fights. None of the Couture/Belfort fights were anything special, especially #2 with the freak injury about ten seconds in.

Hughes/GSP?

Hughes/BJ?

Gillbert Melendez/Josh Thomson had two very good fights (especially #2) if I remember correctly, one of them wasn't all that great though (#3?).

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once the 3rd fight happens we'll have to revisit this question. I honestly found Saturday's fight to be a good fight. Their first fight was a classic, 2nd fight was alright, but maybe it's because the 1st was so good it was hard to compete and made the rematch seem above average.

Not very many trilogies for it to outdue though lol. And again, it's hard to really judge because there hasn't been a 3rd fight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    That's why I said it could easily become, not that it would be..

We'll see what happens.

Funny thing is that Eddie is free to negotiate with the UFC after the third fight, win, lose or draw. Will be interesting..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah if he does decide to negotiate with the UFC let's hope he doesn't have to deal with the bullshit like he did last time.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Eddie was just now on the MMA Hour and he strongly implied he would try to sign with the UFC after his next Bellator fight. Didn't say it outright, but pretty much.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's where he belongs imo. I know that Bellator is growing, they have some pretty good fighters, but 155 is so deep in the UFC and has so many great fighters that it's where he should go. He's been in Bellator since inception, he's fought a lot of tough guys, but I still think the UFC is where he should be. Chandler as well but Chandler is young enough to where his legacy is just starting to be written.

I honestly don't see the winner of the 155 tournament being a major threat, but I'm sure the same was said about Chandler.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bet Alvarez is gutted, he'd no doubt have beaten a regressing Gray Maynard (his pencilled in opponent for 159), gotten his PPV points (550,000 buys, maybe more if that marquee match was on it instead of Davis/Vinny - minimum $1.1million at $2 a buy), then been lined up to fight Bendo in August instead of TJ Grant. Considering he was good enough to beat Chandler with a year layoff, Bendo would have been a 50/50 fight. PPV points too, that event did 270k so another $270k at $1 a buy. Basically, if that guy doesn't get paid $1.1million on top of his actual purse he has been robbed in my opinion, and I hope Rebney sees that and lets him go. He couldn't give Alvarez the platform he promised.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    He would only get $1 per buy between 200,000 and 400,000 buys though. So a PPV doing 270,000 buys would get Eddie $70,000 in PPV bonus money (only 70,000 buys between 200,000 and 400,000). If a PPV does less than 200,000 buys he gets no PPV bonus at all.

He would get $2 for every PPV buy between 400,000 and 600,000 and capped at $2,50 for every buy of 600,000 and up.

So if I'm calculating correctly a PPV doing 550,000 buys would get Eddie $1 per buy between 200,000 and 400,000 (200,000 x $1 = $200,000) and $2 for every buy between 400,000 and 550,000 (150,000 buys x $2 = $300,000). Which would mean $500,000 in PPV bonus money. Added to his 70k/70k fight contract he would have made $640,000 if he had won. He would also have gotten a $250,000 signing bonus, so $890,000 in total for his first UFC fight (or $820,000 if he had lost).

Thing is, if he can take out Chandler in their third fight he could very well be offered an even better contract.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To this day I'm still confused as to how Bellator was able to REALISTICALLY draw up a contract that could compete with what the UFC were offering. The UFC offers more money, better exposure, bigger fights, so again, what exactly did Bellator bring to the table?

This is off the subject somewhat but is anyone annoyed with how Rebney comes across as the Edward Nigma of MMA? What I mean is remember the Batman movie with The Riddler, and how Edward Nigma (Riddler) wanted to be Bruce Wayne, from the haircut to the suit, even the mole. When I see Bjorn all I see is Dana White Doppleganger.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    They gave him the same show/win money (70k/70k + 5k/5k with every win) and the same signing bonus ($250,000). Problem was the PPV bonus the UFC offered him, that's what caused all the contractual dispute.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Bellator 106 got 1.1 million viewers and peaked at 1.4 million for Alvarez/Chandler.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated Bellator MMA cards for November. Peep the prelims for Nov 15th and you'll see former UFC top 10 LHW Jason "The Punisher" Lambert. Future champ son!

Bellator MMA From Revel on November 15th:

Spike TV Main Card:
    Catchweight Feature Fight (210 lbs.): Rampage Jackson (32-11) vs. Joey Beltran (14-9)
    Heavyweight Title Fight: Alexander Volkov (19-3) vs. Vitaly Minakov (12-0)
    Featherweight Tournament Finals: Justin Wilcox (13-5) vs. Patricio Pitbull (21-7-1)
    Bantamweight Feature Fight: Marcos Galvao (14-6-1) vs. Tom McKenna (7-3)
    Spike.com Preliminary Fights:
    Bantamweight Feature Fight: Sergio da Silva (1-4) vs. Rob Sullivan (2-1)
    Featherweight Feature Fight: Ryan Cafaro (0-0) vs. Dan Matala (0-0)
    Catchweight Feature Fight (180 lbs.): Nah’Shon Burrell (9-3) vs. Jesus Martinez (8-4)
    Light Heavyweight Feature Fight: Najim Wali (3-2) vs. Liam McGeary (6-0)\
    Catchweight Feature Fight (150 lbs.): Anthony Morrison (17-10) vs. Kenny Foster (10-7)
    Featherweight Feature Fight: Kevin Roddy (13-14-1) vs. Will Martinez (6-2-1)
    Light Heavyweight Feature Fight: Jason Lambert (26-12) vs. Tom DeBlass (8-2)
    Welterweight Feature Fight: Chip Moraza-Pollard (7-4) vs. Sam Oropeza (8-2)

Bellator MMA From Sands Casino Resort on November 22nd:
    Spike TV Main Card:
    Middleweight Title Fight: Alexander Shlemenko (48-7) vs. Doug Marshall (18-6)
    Lightweight Tournament Finals: Will Brooks (12-1) vs. Tiger Sarnavskiy (25-1)
    Welterweight Tournament Finals: Rick Hawn (17-2) vs. Ron Keslar (11-3)
    Welterweight Feature Fight: Matt Riddle (7-3) vs. Nathan Coy (13-4)
    Welterweight Feature Fight: Terry Etim (15-5) vs. Patrick Cenbole (9-2-1)
    Spike.com Preliminary Fights:
    Featherweight Feature Fight: Lester Caslow (10-8) vs. Jay Haas (11-12)
    Lightweight Feature Fight: Brent Primus (3-0) vs. Brett Glass (2-0)
    Lightweight Feature Fight: Terrell Hobbs (9-5) vs. Bubba Jenkins (4-1)
    Featherweight Feature Fight: Saul Almeida (13-4) vs. Goiti Yamauchi (15-1)
    Heavyweight Feature Fight: Keith Bell (5-2-1) vs. Blagoi Ivanov (8-0)
    Welterweight Feature Fight: Andrew Osborne (7-7) vs. Michael Page (5-0)
    Lightweight Feature Fight: Ahsan Abdullah (5-3) vs. Mike Bannon (4-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bellator was on Viva the other night in the UK.

I caught Strauss/Curran ending and saw all of King Mo/Newton and Alvarez/Chandler.
    For the record Alvarez/Chandler is one of the best fights of all time. I loved it, Eddie Alvarez is a fucking monster.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mark Hammer, FYI, your boy fights tomorrow night!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That he does. I can't fathom a scenario in which he loses to Joey Beltran, so here's to Rampage getting out of his slump and getting back into the win column. His last 3 fights were against monsters in Jones and Teixeira and also Ryan Bader though in fairness that fight doesn't count. He's due for a gimme.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that certainly was a gimme. Lame opponent, couldn't get in shape to make the correct weight, slightly premature stoppage and didn't look impressive in victory up until that point either. I have loved rampage for most of his career and would love to see a resurgence, but this was not it. Bellator just seems like the victory lap of a career winding down for his most ardent fans. Beat some cans and retire with happier memories of his last few fights.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't the stoppage was premature. He blasted dude with a 1-2 and he crumbled to his hands and knees and didn't even try to really defend. He even told Rampage "I didn't even get knocked down", which obviously was a good enough sign for me anyway that the fight being stopped was justified if he didn't remember 2 seconds before on his hands and knees.

Now the real question is this, does Rampage enter the LHW tournament or does he go back to TNA and making raps about alien pussy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I caught the fight myself and Rampage looked himself for the first time in ages, good stoppage too because Joey Beltran is a fighter who needs told it's over or he'll wind up with dementia.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Rampage looked great. I've never seen him use effective leg kicks like that, it's a shame he didn't fight this way towards the end of his UFC run.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    And that certainly was a gimme. Lame opponent, couldn't get in shape to make the correct weight, slightly premature stoppage and didn't look impressive in victory up until that point either. I have loved rampage for most of his career and would love to see a resurgence, but this was not it. Bellator just seems like the victory lap of a career winding down for his most ardent fans. Beat some cans and retire with happier memories of his last few fights.
    Premature? Beltran was out on all fours. It was a good stoppage.

Besides, Beltran may not be a world-beater but he is UFC-calibre and should have won his last fight against Maldonado. I don't disagree that it was a gimme but Rampage still looked good and is still clearly fringe top ten at the very worst (I would personally pick him against a handful of the top ten but that's another story). Beltran stalled against the cage as long as he could but he was never in that fight and I'm not sure how you can argue that Rampage didn't look good.
    Last edited by Mark Hammer; November 19th, 2013 at 2:25 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Shlemenko/Ward should be a fun scrap. I like Ward's style.

I picked 'Ill' Will Brooks to be a future player when I saw him fight in DREAM, looks like he's on his way. Too bad he got sloppy against Awad in the first fight, he would have been a perfect 14-0 otherwise. He did avenge it handily in the rematch. Can't see him get past either Alvarez or Chandler though, but who knows.
    Last edited by OD50; November 23rd, 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Chandler/Alvarez III has been confirmed for an upcoming Bellator PPV, date TBA though. Should be another classic.

It's only the co-main though, main event will be Kimbo Slice vs. Don Frye.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Chandler/Alvarez III has been confirmed for an upcoming Bellator PPV, date TBA though. Should be another classic.

It's only the co-main though, main event will be Kimbo Slice vs. Don Frye.
    Hahaha! Holy shit, Don Frye?!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Nah, I'm just messing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Awwww, damn it. Don Frye rules.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    He does. Power of the moustache.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahahahaha hopes raised and dashed with no remorse

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No date released for their *hopefully* first ppv? Weird.

Sucks that Alvarez is stuck fighting Chandler a 3rd time in a row but it should be a good fight again.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a point to the tournament format anymore? Has Bjork gone back on everything he said Bellator was about that differed from the UFC? Because now Curran is getting a rematch against Strauss. Fun.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rampage Jackson and King Mo return to the Bellator cage this weekend (Feb 28th), not against each other though, but in the LHW tournament. How do you cats think Rampage will do against Chuck Palumbo?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He's fighting Christian M'Pumbo. And I honestly don't see him losing to anyone in Bellator's 205 division.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he performs to his full potential, even at this stage in his career, I don't see him having much trouble at all winning the tournament and then winning the strap.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hate being such a vocal fan because no matter what I say about him it will always come across as fanboy-ism. But I would still call Rampage over much of the UFC's top ten. Including Bader.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    M'Pumbo should definitely be at 185. Not too excited about any of the announced events or fights, but it will be nice to have another Bellator season going.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate being such a vocal fan because no matter what I say about him it will always come across as fanboy-ism. But I would still call Rampage over much of the UFC's top ten. Including Bader.
    You're a fan of Rampage? NO WAY!! lol

When Rampage gives a shit, which was about 7 years ago it seems, he can run with the best. When he's stretched too thin, all these other activities in his life like rapping about alien bitches, that's when he gets fucked. He couldn't even make 205 in his last fight so I'm hoping he doesn't have any issues this time around.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Honestly I don't think he fared that bad at the end of his UFC career. Losing to Jones and losing a decision to Glover (in which Rampage actually won a round) who has been killing everybody in the first round is nothing to be ashamed about. The Bader loss was very unfortunate but he had a plausible excuse for that fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, he was a warrior for going through with that Bader fight, even slammed the dude. He honestly hasn't looked very good since he beat Dan Henderson. Rashad, Jardine, Bader, Jones, Glover, Machida, all pretty subpar performances, all pretty much shit because either his mind wasn't in the training/fight due to other shit or he was injured.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    The Wand KO was really cool though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I didn't think his performances against Jones, Glover, or Machida were subpar at all. Jon Jones is Jon Jones. Glover Teixeira has wrecked everyone within a round but Rampage took him to a 29-28 decision. The Machida fight sucked but that was entirely Machida's fault. Rampage was swinging for the fences but Machida is much faster and was content not fighting until the final minutes of the fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yeah I forgot about the Wanderlai fight!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Bellator has announced their newest sponsor, Monster energy drink. Seems like it's a pretty big deal in the US.

Their events will also air on FOX Sports Latin America, starting with Bellator 110. I wonder how Dana feels about one of the FOX channels airing Bellator.
    Last edited by OD50; February 26th, 2014 at 6:19 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    NOS being by far the best of that bunch and only reaching 3%.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monster will sponsor anyone. I know an underground rapper that's probably sold 500 records in the last 13 years that is sponsored by Monster. I know local bands here in Des Moines, IA sponsored by Jaeger. I don't even drink that shit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nobody in Bellator's 205 division beats Rampage. Nice that we're finally going to get Rampage vs Mo, that one's been brewing for a few rounds. I predict Rampage to continue his R1 KO streak.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last 15 minutes of that show was insanity lol. Rampage is head and shoulders above the division but you never know, whats in a name in mma? Not a damn thing. It would be cool if they could get some recognizable, talented fighters. Did they announce when the finals would happen? Def some tension there lol.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Definitely, and it's a shame that he is so head-and-shoulders above the rest of the division because he will never get proper credit for any of his wins. I hate to mention the S-word but people on Sherdog are still finding things to criticize about his performances, even after two back-to-back R1 KO wins. One guy went to great lengths about how Rampage still can't handle rangey opponents. Even though he knocked him (M'Pumbo) out in the first round. And how as soon as he fights someone who won't brawl with him he'll lose. Again despite the fact that M'Pumbo didn't brawl with him at all, instead putting on his best Machida impression and running like the dickens.

Lots and lots of silly, mindless hate directed towards Rampage.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    People will usually find ways to discredit any non-UFC fighter. I've dealt with that stuff for the past 10+ years. See Fedor, Kawajiri, Melendez, Lawler, Alvarez, Aoki, Chandler, Mousasi, Jacare etc. Of course, now that some of them are in the UFC and doing well they are the bestest in the world.

I wonder what the odds are of the Rampage/Mo confrontation(s) being somewhat "staged''. Not sure..

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, it's something to behold.

And I'm pretty sure the Rampage/Mo confrontation was staged. Definitely interested in the fight though as again, it has been brewing for a while. Rampage ought to merk him without too much issue but it's still a fight on my radar.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    The Mo/Rampage history is kind of weird. They really seemed to have some legit beef a couple of years ago, I remember Rampage being really pissed at Ariel Helwani just for asking a question about Mo on the MMA Hour. Then all of a sudden they seemed to be best buddies:

And now they are having beef again.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I was pretty sure they squashed it back in the day and it is very likely that their current beef is manufactured. Which is odd considering this is a fight that doesn't really need any pro wrestling drama to market.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Well, they are both huge rasslin' fans and also part-time TNA wrestlers. Maybe they just want to add some spunk to the fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's staged, but I don't think it's PERSONAL. Rampage has always been a hot head and I think he was caught in the moment, but I do believe what he said and how he acted was honest because that's Rampage.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

One hell of a poster.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell yeah. Not sure if I'll order the ppv or not, depends on what my finances look like, but so far those 2 fights alone are worth ordering. Any word on how much they'll charge? I'm thinking probably $45-55, standard prices even if Bellator isn't on the UFC level, I just can't see them doing it for under $40.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    i can't get over how much yous all pay for ppv's.

absolute madness. i'd just go to a bar.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post
    i can't get over how much yous all pay for ppv's.

absolute madness. i'd just go to a bar.
    I've tried that but I just don't dig the environment. Even when I was younger and I'd go to a friend's house who had like 15 other kids over to watch wrestling ppvs, I just couldn't focus and get into them. 3-5 people max and I'm cool. The bar, while financially it makes sense, there's just too much going on. A friend of mine who was really into MMA before dipping back into his meth habit recently had the ultimate man cave and a couple of us would fly over there and get blazed, drink, play pool, so it was like a bar atmosphere just not a shit ton of motherfuckers everywhere lol.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Hell yeah. Not sure if I'll order the ppv or not, depends on what my finances look like, but so far those 2 fights alone are worth ordering. Any word on how much they'll charge? I'm thinking probably $45-55, standard prices even if Bellator isn't on the UFC level, I just can't see them doing it for under $40.
    I don't know but hopefully not much because I always order Rampage pay per views. I wonder if BWW shows Bellator?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I really like Chandler but I'll be pulling for EA as always.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Earl Hebner going to referee the main event? Apparently Alvarez is a free agent after the Chandler fight, win or lose, so they need Chandler to win really. Which I think he will, should be favourite considering he has less mileage and won more convincingly than Eddie did, but a win for Alvarez would be catastrophic for Bellator. With Curran losing and Askren leaving, their lightweight champion is easily the most legitimate they have, since they're only losing to each other and no way of knowing how they'd match up against the top UFC guys. Alvarez leaves after beating Chandler twice (as well as Aoki and Pitbull) and he's pretty much the top contender after Gilbert. Biggest fight in Bellator history, not only because they're testing the PPV waters but they're risking their biggest potential star.

Rampage vs. King Mo is a good fight to support it. Mo is substantially overrated because of his mouth, I'd still fancy a past-his-prime Rampage to beat him. The Newton losses have really hurt Mo, this is the last gamble really before he goes on the MMA scrapheap. You can't tell me Manny Newton is a threat to any very good fighter, and he beat Mo twice, with variety. On the flipside, Rampage as champion would only help business.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yeah, weird situation. I'm pretty sure Alvarez is dying to bolt to the UFC after all the shit that went down between him and Bjorn.