User Tag List

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Bellator Fighting Championships

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not necessarily true .. Lombard fought twice this season before the title fight .. all the other champs fought at least once too.

I like the tournament format, but I don't like that its the ONLY way to get a title shot. Rebney actually said that if Huerta would've beat Alvarez, he'd STILL have to win a tournament to get a title shot .. to which I call bullshit because it would create a buzz among fans and they'd practically demand a Huerta/Alvarez title match .. the demand would be too great to deny it and they'd be stupid to do so, as a smaller company.

Hero From The Beyond UncannyIowan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya View Post
    That's not necessarily true .. Lombard fought twice this season before the title fight .. all the other champs fought at least once too.

I like the tournament format, but I don't like that its the ONLY way to get a title shot. Rebney actually said that if Huerta would've beat Alvarez, he'd STILL have to win a tournament to get a title shot .. to which I call bullshit because it would create a buzz among fans and they'd practically demand a Huerta/Alvarez title match .. the demand would be too great to deny it and they'd be stupid to do so, as a smaller company.
    It seemed like the challengers were fighting month to month, but when I compared Lombard's 2010 schedule with Shlemenko's it was only a one fight difference. I guess I assumed before looking at records that the champion would sit out until the tournament was over. Edit: Upon further investigation I noticed the level of competition Lombard fought wasn't exactly top competition, it'd be interesting to see him against some top talent for once.

The tournament format is solid, but what I don't like is what you said, where if someone like Huerta or Neer had beat Alvarez they would STILL have to go through the tournament. What they should do is this:

Say Huerta beat Alvarez in a non-title fight. Still give the tournament winner the title shot against Alvarez, but give Huerta the first title shot after that. That way you're not taking anything away from the person who fought 3-4 guys to get a title shot, but you're also not taking away the fact that someone did beat the champion and deserves a title shot.
    Last edited by UncannyIowan; October 29th, 2010 at 12:51 PM.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's exactly what I think they should and honestly would have done if it happened.

He said he'd have to win a tournament, but if he beat Alvarez, they'd get fans demanding that fight .. it would be far too great of a demand for a smaller company like that to ignore. Any promotion can put on great fights, but when you've got a fight that people REALLY WANNA SEE .. I mean, its a no-brainer.

As much as I love Alvarez too.. Rebney saying that he should shoot up the rankings with a win over Huerta was laughable .. a win over a guy who just lost to Pat Curran shoots you up the rankings??? Riiiiiiiiiiight .. so then Bryan Baker must be a top 5 middleweight now cuz he beat Jeremy Horn and he was in the UFC .. ???

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jay Hieron has signed on for Bellator's Season 4 Welterweight Tournament.
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/21420/jay-...ht-tourney.mma

Very nice addition for them.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exclusive report:
    http://mmajunkie.com/news/21608/excl...tv-in-2011.mma

Bellator has inked a deal to air their live events on FX, with delayed replays on FSN and Fuel ..

Fuckin' sweet! FX doesn't do live events, so they won't be getting pre-empted !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FX will be a solid channel, I think they sometimes have pro sports games here and there on the channel so it's not completely unknown territory for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome news! I don't tend to watch FX at night, so it won't interrupt any shows that I already watch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be great. I have watched Bellator quite a bit on the Spanish channel and have been loving it.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WELL .. hold up a tick .. apparently they nixed that deal in favor of a 3-year deal with MTV2 .. probably a better deal really cuz they command a bigger audience of their demographic than FX does ..

http://networkedblogs.com/bPGFl
    Check out The Real MMA Talk at Facebook.com/TheRealMMATalk1 or follow on Twitter @TheRealMMATalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing that they mentioned was that on Fox sports, they were pre-empted a lot. That shouldn't happen on MTV2. On the other hand, wrestling has never worked out very well on MTV, despite being the demographic they were going after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also keep in mind, FX is more available than MTV2. Most cable companies you have to pay even more to get channels like MTV2, it's not like it's part of your basic cable package.

Kind of like the Lucha shit, I heard the ratings for that were hideous. And while MMA has a growing fanbase, and MTV does have Bully Beatdown, I just think FX would've been a smarter move because of availability.

I don't know about the demographic though, MTV2 is just basically MTV only a tad more videos here and there. I don't know if the MMA demographic they're looking for watches 16 and Pregnant and loves Diddy Dirty Money. Seriously, I have MTV2, the channel is not what it used to be just 2-3 years ago when you could turn on and see Cage's "Shoot Frank" video and not have to worry about reruns of Real World challenges or whatever that show is being on 24/7.

They have a better chance at inking a deal with VH1 when it comes to grabbing the demographic they're shooting for, I know more MMA fans who watch their reality shit than anything MTV pukes out.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MTV2 is on basic cable here.. so are FX and FSN.
    Check out The Real MMA Talk at Facebook.com/TheRealMMATalk1 or follow on Twitter @TheRealMMATalk

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can you not love Joe Warren .. he's planning on defending his Bellator 145 lb. title twice next year and entering Bellator's 135 lb. tournament and capturing that title as well. Then, he's taking 6-7 months off to win the olympics.

"I'm in a position right now where I'm the best wrestler in the world," Warren said. "My technique is there, and I have my coaches. Right now, I'm physically better than I've ever been. Fighting is helping that.

"I still train at the Olympic Training Center three or four times a week. I believe I can win this Olympic championship. It's the only thing I didn't win in wrestling."

"Wrestling is not the same," Warren said. "People do it their whole life to win, and if they're not winning now, they're not going to start winning 10 years out of their prime for money. If that was the case before, then these guys would still be around.

"However, I'm happy to have any guys come out of retirement and do whatever. Make sure you come out of retirement in my weightclass because I'll kick your [expletive] ass."

"I'll fight February for Bellator, July for Bellator, then enter the 135-pound tournament for Bellator," Warren said. "Then I will stop fighting in December of next year and win the Olympics.

"I would like to win the gold, win the 135-pound belt, defend my 145-pound belt, and then come win some other belts. I believe I can get it done. It's my love. I've done it my whole life. I'm going to go get a gold medal in London, and it's $250,000, so come on."

"Wrestling is a progression sport," Warren said. "You get better with age. It's skill level, it's technique, it's muscle memory. If you're older and still not hurt and ready to rock and roll, then why not get it done?

"Not a lot of people can do it. I believe I can."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21782/bell...ympic-gold.mma

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    March 5th boys .. apparently MTV2 is gonna be doing Bellator live on Saturday nights. Not to fear, though .. they are going to try to be aware of UFC and Strikeforce events and make sure they don't overlap.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bellator signed Ben "killa b" Saunders (9-3) today. Not a bad signing for them. Ben is a tough dude and still fairly young with tons of potential. He went 4-3 in the UFC, but only because he really jumped ahead of himself with those Swick/Fitch/Hallman fights. He really shouldn't have been in any of those fights. He's ambitious though and saw the oppurtunity attached to their names.. but quickly found out why they'd made names for themselves.

Apparently he won't be in the tournament. Could just be a regular non-tourney bout for a future spot .. or they could even put him against Askren in a non-title 'superfight' .. he's enough of a name for that. Who knows .. he could even beat him.
    Last edited by Dubya; February 3rd, 2011 at 8:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saunders is awesome. Just read this and had to come in here and comment. Watching Oz, Ben Saunders is going to bust up guys. I'd like to see him fight one of the top guys at either 170 or 185.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's not going to be in the 170-lb. tournament .. the pairings were announced today .. apparently they will ALL take place at Bellator 35 on March 5th ..

Lyman Good (10-1) vs. Chris Lozano (6-0)
    Dan Hornbuckle (22-3) vs. Brent Weedman (17-5-1)
    Jay Hieron (19-4) vs. Steve Carl (11-2)
    Jim Wallhead (20-5) vs. Rick Hawn (9-0)

That's actually a really good tournament. I know they're not all big names, but I know that they're all great fighters.

The card will also feature a non-title womens fight with champion, Zoila Frausto vs. Karina Hallinan.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JUDO JIM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not familiar with the right side of that bracket, but the guys on the left, I know to be legit.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was actually faster than I expected .. but I knew you'd chyme in about your boy, Judo Jim. Lol. Hopefully there's no volcanos or anything that prevent him from being in this years tourney.

This kinda makes me think that they are gonna do Ben Saunders vs. Ben Askren as a special feature. I'm okay with that I guess.

Rick Hawn, Steve Carl, and Chris Lazano are all pretty damn good .. young, but good .. Brent Weedman is the only one I'm not super-familiar with .. but yeah, its safe to say that the left-side is probably the "favorites" side.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    That's a pretty great WW tourney.

Bellator has signed Waachiim Spiritwolf as well, only a one-fight deal I believe.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that sign for them. That fight he had with Billy Evangelista was impressive.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Yeah. Spiritwolf will probably never be a champion or even contender, but he always puts on exciting fights. That's a pretty rare these days of victory first/fighting for points. Too bad his fight against Zaromskis turned to crap, it could have been a good one. :/

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bjorn Rebney says that he doesn't plan on countering UFC programming. With Bellator moving to saturday night as part of their new 3-year, 78-event deal with MTV2.. he says they will push their shows back to earlier times to make them serve as lead-ins to the UFC events to create an entire night of MMA for fans.

I like that.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22463/rebn...s-conflict.mma

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Doesn't affect me of course but if I lived in the US I wouldn't mind two hours of Bellator and then flip the channel to watch three hours of UFC fights.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. I think its a good idea. They can't compete with the UFC and they know that. Instead of trying, they're capitalizing in a way. I know when I'm sitting around on a saturday, waiting for a UFC/Strikeforce card to start .. I'm just in the mood for some mma and I'd rather watch some live fights, full of great prospects, than some old Unleashed episode or something. I think its a good idea really.

Maybe over the next year, they can gain a little more steam and try to combat a UFC fight night or something, but I think they're unlike Strikeforce in that they know they can't compete with the UFC or anything.. so they're just trying to be as fan-friendly as possible.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben Askren will be fighting Nick Thompson (non-title) on April 9th.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Eddie Alvarez/Pat Curran (finally) for the Bellator LW title on April 2.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/1...d-for-april-2/

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. Been waiting on that one for a while now ..

Also, OD .. another Sengoku guy has left for Bellator .. Current Shark Fights Featherweight Champion and Sengoku standout, Ronnie Mann, has signed a deal to fight for Bellator. That's actually a really good sign for them at Featherweight. That would actually be a really good sign for any company. He's probably one of only about a handful of top featherweights in the world that aren't in the UFC now.

Not looking good for Japanese MMA .. as much as I don't wanna see them fall apart, I'd really like to see Hioki get picked up too.
    Last edited by Dubya; February 17th, 2011 at 1:31 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Sengoku seems to be down the shitter, Dream is probably joining them...

:/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no! Then the top talent might all end up in one company and we might get to see how champions from different companies stack up against each other! DAMN OUR LUCK!!!

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but its better as a whole for the sport to have more promotions around the world .. otherwise, you'd never know about any of these great fighters and they'd never have a chance to be in the bigger leagues. It's not like the UFC would realistically go there more than twice a year.

Hector Lombard vs. Falaniko Vitale at Bellator 44 .. Vitale is a Team Punishment guy and a veteran .. 31-9 .. has notable wins over Yushin Okami, Matt Lindland, Dave Menne, and Aaron Riley .. has been in the cage (but lost) with Robbie Lawler, Trevor Prangley, Frank Trigg, Jeremy Horn, and Jason Miller. ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vitale is "old school", I remember him fighting in the UFC. Pretty impressive, I just really wish Lombard would get a guy who is a little better ya know? Lombard gets a lot of respect but I haven't really seen him fight anyone ranked higher or even close to the top 20. Lombard and Alvarez need to get picked up by the UFC ASAP!!

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, in their lower weight classes like 170 and below .. they have a lot of talented guys that I'd love to see in the UFC or even Strikeforce ..

Joe Warren, Joe Soto, Ben Askren, Lyman Good, Eddie Alvarez, Jay Hieron, Dan Hornbuckle, Pat Curran, Toby Imada, Zack Makovsky, Jose Vega, Ed West, Patricio Freire, Georgi Karakhanyan, Carey Vanier, Ronnie Mann ..

A lot of talent in 135/45/55/70 divisions .. well, maybe not a lot .. but there are definitely some talented guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think some of those names such as Askren, Warren, you'll be seeing them in the near future. Joe Warren, kind of a toss up though cuz he's like 33 now or some shit. He might if he feels Bellator isn't offering him the top level talent the UFC can offer him. Hornbuckle, Curran, Heiron, not sure about those guys because if they're not there already it makes you wonder why not? Especially Jay, wtf is he doing going to Bellator? I thought he was all about fighting Nick Diaz in Strikeforce or going to get his revenge against GSP!?!?!

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're thinking of the wrong Curran .. you're thinking of Jeff Curran .. Pat Curran is his younger brother.. he's only 23 and beat Roger Huerta and Toby Imada to get his title shot with Alvarez coming up.

Strikeforce kinda messed around with Jay Hieron, but he's won like 7 fights in a row .. no huge names, but Jason High, Jesse Taylor, and Joe Riggs are at least KNOWN I guess. ..

I think Askren and Cole Konrad will make their way to UFC at some point. I still think most of those guys could give some of the UFC fighters some damn good fights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THAT'S RIGHT. Pat was on TAPOUT right?

Cole and Askren, while you could consider them newbies to the sport still I definitely see the UFC in their future unless they go on a downward spiral and lose 4-5 of their next fights.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno he might have been. I never really watched a lot of TAPOUT but I could see it cuz Jeff Curran has always been pretty well known and liked in the MMA community. Bit of a featherweight trailblazer really so I could see them featuring his little brother.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya View Post
    Yeah, but its better as a whole for the sport to have more promotions around the world .. otherwise, you'd never know about any of these great fighters and they'd never have a chance to be in the bigger leagues. It's not like the UFC would realistically go there more than twice a year..
    "Must spread rep around.."

*Hugs*

/Don't think Pat and Jeff are brothers though, Pat is Jeff's nephew or something I believe. Maybe cousins.
    Last edited by OD50; February 23rd, 2011 at 4:34 PM.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, yes .. just checked.. its his cousin, not his little brother. That's right. I always get that mixed up.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAIN CARD
    • Lyman Good vs. Chris Lozano (welterweight tourney quarterfinal)
    • Dan Hornbuckle vs. Brent Weedman (welterweight tourney quarterfinal)
    • Jay Hieron vs. Anthony Lapsley (welterweight tourney quarterfinal)
    • Rick Hawn vs. Jim Wallhead (welterweight tourney quarterfinal)
    PRELIMINARY CARD
    • Champion Zoila Frausto vs. Karina Hallinan (non-title fight)
    • Jamie Jara vs. Waachiim Spiritwolf
    • Brandon Bender vs. Josh Herrick
    • Jesus Castro vs. Paul Ruiz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody talking about last night's Bellator?

I thought it was a bad decision in the Hornbuckle/Weedman fight. That's another example of the guy on top earning the round despite not being in control. From the guard, Hornbuckle controlled the wrists, took no damage and threatened with submissions. Such a shame.

Hieron vs Lapsley
    Lapsley has every right in the world to be pissed. Wasn't unconscious and was doing a good job of defending the choke. Josh Rosenthal is an amazing referee though, but that was a shitty move by Jay Hieron. He told Rosenthal that Lapsley was asleep and Rosenthal stopped it immediately. It's the win that matters and Hieron was going to get that win regardless. I believe that he thought Lapsley was legitimately out and wasn't trying to screw him.

Judo Jim got handled by Rick Hawn. Plain and simple. I'm interested to see how Hawn matches up with the rest of the field.

I expected Lyman Good to come in and earn a quick stoppage. Very surprised that it made it to decision. Uneventful first round that could have gone either way. Good tagged him right before the bell. I would have liked to see a bit more killer instinct after Lozano got hurt in the 2nd round, but Good didn't do anything for the next 20 seconds. Then that clinch against the cage gave him way too much time to recover.

I imagine that they'll want to save Good vs Hieron for the finals. I'd guess that we'll see Hieron vs Weedman and Good vs Hawn

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PMBR View Post
    Nobody talking about last night's Bellator?

I thought it was a bad decision in the Hornbuckle/Weedman fight. That's another example of the guy on top earning the round despite not being in control. From the guard, Hornbuckle controlled the wrists, took no damage and threatened with submissions. Such a shame.
    not this crap again ..

If Hornbuckle was in control, why couldn't he get up? Sure looked like he was trying to .. oh, it must of been because of the guy on top of him .. that was controlling him.

Seriously, we all understand your argument .. but it still runs into the problem I listed .. if you're on the bottom of someone and can't get up, despite trying .. you're are in no way in control. So he went for submissions? Did he get them? no.. how is that different from your takedown argument? if blocking takedowns earns you points, then so should blocking submissions .. and Weedman was on top the whole time, controlled wrists or not.. and blocked all of Hornbuckle's submissions. Hornbuckle might have been controlling Weedman's wrists, but Weedman was controlling the rest of Hornbuckle's body.
    Last edited by Dubya; March 6th, 2011 at 1:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the difference in being on top and trying to get a kimura and being on bottom, working for a triangle? In both cases, the guy attempting a submission is in control and the guy fighting off the submission is looking for an escape. If you can't see that, then you are blind.

Keep in mind that a person looking for a triangle WANTS to be on bottom because he has the potential to end the fight from that position. Being on top does not make you in control.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does if the person underneath you is trying to get out from underneath you and they can't.. because they have no control over the situation and are stuck there.

Fuck you. fuck me. agree to disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They aren't trying to get up. They are trying to finish the fight from their current position. THAT is why they are in control.

Also... how is the guy on top "in control" if he is in danger of losing at the given moment?
    Last edited by PMBR; March 7th, 2011 at 10:31 AM.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he's effectively defending all the submission attempts then he isn't in danger of losing at the given moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Define effectively. If you effectively defend ANYTHING from ANY position then you aren't in danger of losing at the given moment. Right?

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well link it with what dub is saying. The person on top is controlling where there fight is the entire time unless a submission is locked in, and if the person on top shrugs off the attempt then the person on the bottom a) hasn't been successful in what he's trying to do and b) not in control. So he's either given up position to try and submit someone, and failed, enabling his opponent to land more powerful strikes, or is stuck there because he can't get up, both of which mean the person on bottom isn't winning.

I understand what you are saying mate and I think being active from the bottom should get more credit but not to the extent you are saying.
    Last edited by Torn; March 7th, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be my last point on the subject because I don't really want to beat a dead horse. The reason I put so much emphasis on the guy on bottom attempting submissions is this:

Guy on bottom - threatening to finish, working to finish
    Guy on top - in danger, fighting to survive

A common misconception that you and dub seem to be believing is that you are stuck in guard after the submission attempt is over. A lot of guys fighting out of a triangle attempt choose to simply stand up (ex. Fukuda) or lose their position in a post-submission scramble (ex. Weedman).

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, no .. we get that. What we're trying to say is that just because he's going for submissions shouldn't earn him points unless one is actually locked in or something because again .. you can go for 20 superman punches, trying to end a fight, but if you don't land any of them .. who cares? If the guy on top just shrugs off the submissions, then the guy on bottom hasn't really accomplished anything.. in fact, he's actually failed at something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, you are definitely belittling the amount of effort needed to avoid these submissions. If it takes you more than 15 seconds to get out of a submission, that's not shrugging it off. You are fighting to escape. You're making it sound like their avoiding these submissions the same way Overeem avoiding the Brett Rogers takedown.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but you're making it seem like they should be given more credit for failing at something than the person on top, who is keeping them from doing what they want to do.. and 9/10 times working some GnP.. huge strikes or not.. weak strikes that land (usually repeatedly) > failed submissions ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell, I think threatening and failing at a submission is more impressive than failing at a takedown. Then again ask Randy Couture how successful his failed takedowns were on the scorecards against Brandon Vera.

Also, THE PERSON ON TOP IS NOT STOPPING THEM FROM DOING WHAT THEY WANT! If they are threatening with a submission, they are doing what they want.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're not doing what they want to do if they don't actually secure and get the submission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are threatening, then they are the ones winning at that moment of the fight. If they are threatening for more than half of the ground encounter, then they won the majority of that ground encounter.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what the guy does on top, but what you just said was a nice way of putting it. If he doesn't land any strikes and sits in guard for half a round after being stuck in a guillotine for 2 and a half minutes then I'd like to see judges score that in favour of the guy on the bottom.

But if after half a round of being in a choke, the guy escapes and lands some ground and pound doing damage for half a round then that is going to be worth more than not succeeding in a choke as the end result of that was no damage.

None
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And arguably, weak ground and pound is a failed attempt at a TKO or KO. Yeah, its going to be subjective, but tight submission attempts should be counted for, almost more so than mediocre ground and pound. You are seriously restricting your opponents movements to a very narrow set of options in order to continue fighting. Also, there is sometimes considerable unapparent damage done in joint locks and guillotine chokes, even if they don't end the fight.

Again, this is martial arts, being on top of somebody on its own doesn't matter, making them go unconscious or breaking a limb does. If a fight doesn't end conclusively, I will give more credit to a fighter who was closer to finishing regardless of top or bottom position. I would mediate that by the damage incurred at the cost of being on the bottom and whether the bottom fighter would have got a submission before being too overwhelmed by top damage. (Rate/severity of damage vs. proximity of submission/frequency of good attempts)

Yeah, it sucks, but judging is always going to be artificial and 'unfair' in some way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PMBR View Post

I imagine that they'll want to save Good vs Hieron for the finals. I'd guess that we'll see Hieron vs Weedman and Good vs Hawn
    My predictions kick ass!

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Warren will be facing Marcus Galvao in a non-title fight @ Bellator 41 on April 16.

also .. won't be in Bellator, but Hector Lombard will be fighting Joe Doerksen @ CFC 16 in Australia on March 26.

Also .. the lineup/poster for this weekend's Bellator 36:

MAIN CARD
    • Patricky Freire vs. Rob McCullough (lightweight tourney quarterfinal)
    • Toby Imada vs. Ferrid Kheder (lightweight tourney quarterfinal)
    • Carey Vanier vs. Lloyd Woodward (lightweight tourney quarterfinal)
    • Mike Chandler vs. Marcin Held (lightweight tourney quarterfinal)
    PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)
    • Kelly Leo vs. Chad Leonhardt
    • Kevin Aguilar vs. Matt Hunt
    • Kalvin Hackney vs. Josh Shockley
    • Booker Arthur vs. Javon Duhon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised to see Lombard fighting outside of Bellator... especially with their new TV deal. He always struck me as a guy who would be loyal to Bellator. Then again, with the tournament bouts going on, they may not have room for him. Then again, they found a non-tournament bout for Ben Saunders... so your guess is as good as mine!

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He took fights in CFC inbetween the last two seasons, also he's scheduled to fight in Bellator in May.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. I don't follow him closely enough to know what he does outside of Bellator. This TV deal for them has gotten me really excited to see guys like Askren, Hornbuckle (), Lombard and Makovsky.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still upset that Judo Jim got handled

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He got HAWNdled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thbobl-TkQ0&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Bellator 35 Waachiim Spiritwolf vs. Jaime Jara[/ame]

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I wanna see the whole fight .. who won ?

Spiritwolf seems to always put on a good show, win or lose. That fight with Evangelista was sick.. highly overlooked fight there.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ferrid Kheder, the guy who literally stole a decision from Hermes Franca (was later overturned to a no-contest after video of the fight surfaced) a few months back .. not only didn't make weight for his Bellator fight, but apparently didn't even step on the scale. He just left instead.... preliminary card fighter, Josh Shockley, will step into Kheder's spot.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're apparently going to be airing this fight, in its entirety, during tonight's broadcast.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anybody got a stream for tonights fights ????

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Results from Bellator 37 Lightweight Tournament Rd.1:

MAIN CARD RESULTS
    • Patricio "Pitbull" Freire def. Georgi Karakhanyan via TKO (punches) - Round 3, 0:56
    • Wilson Reis def. Zac George via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 2:09
    • Daniel Straus def. Nazareno Malegarie via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
    • Kenny Foster def. Eric Larkin via submission (guillotine choke) - Round 1, 3:15
    PRELIMINARY CARD RESULTS
    • Jake Rosholt def. John Bryant via technical submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1*
    • Jeremy Spoon def. Jerrod Sanders via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 2, 0:26*
    • Brandon Shelton def. Adam Snook via submission (arm-triangle choke) - Round 1, 2:46
    • Roli Delgado def. Jameel Massouh via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
    And the poster for Bellator 38, the Light Heavyweight tournament begins ..

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Sou...ght-Draw-30940

Joe Warren planning on doing just what he said .. defending his featherweight belt and then entering the Bellator Bantamweight Tournament. WHAT. A. MAN.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I don't know if anyone saw it or not yet, but .. this is pretty sweet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPQF0mP5tOs&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Bellator 38 moment Richard Hale locks in an incredible inverted triangle submission on Nik Fekete[/ame]

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Hector Lombard beat Joe Doerksen over the weekend in Australia (4:13 round 1 doctor stoppage). His win streak is now up to 22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When will Lombard get a top guy though? 22 wins in a row and not a single top 10, I'm not even sure top 20, fighter on that list. Lombard and Alvarez are fighting in divisions for a promotion that do not offer the top guys, I want these 2 men in the UFC by the end of the year or it's Jardine-level hate on them until it happens

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAIN CARD
    • Champ Eddie Alvarez vs. Pat Curran (for lightweight title)
    • Lyman Good vs. Rick Hawn (welterweight tourney semifinal)
    • Patricky "Pitbull" Freire vs. Toby Imada (lightweight tourney semifinal)
    • Ben Saunders vs. Matt Lee
    PRELIMINARY CARD
    • Rene Nazare vs. Matt Veach
    • Dan Cramer vs. Greg Rebello
    • Ryan Quinn vs. Mike Winters
    • David Jansen vs. Scott McAfee
    • John McLaughlin vs. Blair Tugman
    Quite a few former UFC/WEC guys on this card. Pretty nice card, though. Can't wait to watch it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Good night of fights. Pitbull is a little destroyer, Imada is tough as nails but he was pretty much knocked out on his feet by that sweet flying knee. Would love to see Pitbull Sr. tangle with Eddie for the LW title. I'm thinking that maybe Mike Chandler could play the spoiler though, seems like a beastly athlete/wrestler/prospect.

Alvarez wasn't spectacular but very solid, totally dominated Curran for 25 minutes. I actually like the 'new' Alvarez that picks opponents apart instead of getting dragged into slugfests all the time. That has been his only weakness earlier, being too reckless and eager to finish, almost cost him against both Dida and Crusher, and especially Nick Thompson.

What's up with Bellator and those flying knee KO's, inverted triangle subs and bloodbaths?

Loving BFC this season so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pitbull! GREAT showing although I was really looking forward to that one hitting the mat. I really wanted to see what Pitbull is capable of grappling-wise considering he called Imada's submission game "middle class".

Alvarez working the body the way he did made me cringe. Surprised that he as unable to finish Curran, but it really solidified the fact that Pat Curran is no joke. I know that he went through Huerta and Imada, but to go 25 minutes with Eddie Alvarez and keep the fight competitve - - - RESPECT!

BEN SAUNDERS THE DESTROYER!!!

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Bellator has really been delivering so far this season. Ratings may have slipped a bit in recent weeks, but if they keep putting on quality shows like they have been.. people will catch on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ogQhql41AY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Bellator 39 moment Patricky Pitbull delivers a devastating flying knee to Toby Imada[/ame]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll in all fairness ratings slipped because of competition.

Bellator 35 - no opposition
    Bellator 36 - no opposition
    Bellator 37 - against UFC 128 prelims
    Bellator 38 - against Fight Night 24
    Bellator 39 - against Final Four

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No poster yet, but here's the card for Bellator 40 this weekend so far ..

non-title welterweight bout
    Ben Askren vs. Nick Thompson

welterweight semifinal bout
    Jay Hieron vs. Brent Weedman

lightweight semifinal bout
    Lloyd Woodard vs. Michael Chandler

non-tourney featherweight bout
    Ronnie Mann vs. Josh Arocho

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cole Konrad vs. Paul Buentello @ Bellator 42 in a non-title bout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually got to see some Bellator on MTV2 Saturday night. Have no clue who was fighting, but it was the bout prior to Alvarez/Curran.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was Rick Hawn vs Lyman Good... a decision I didn't agree with.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I kinda thought Good won too but it was pretty close so I won't complain about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was definitely a close fight. Nothing to really be upset about, but I really would have preferred Good in the finals.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the Ronnie Mann fight has been scratched from the card due to visa issues keeping Mann from entering the country. poop.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alexander Shlemenko vs. Brett Cooper at Bellator 44.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lloyd "CupCake" Woodard...that is asking for trouble.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben Askren has given up his Arizona State wrestling coach job and is relocating to Milwaukee to join Team Roufusport and has officially now become a full-time fighter.

It's kinda crazy to think that he's done as well as he has and hasn't actually been training full-time .. being a coach, espescially a college coach, is a full-time job in itself .. the kid's been getting by purely on his wrestling talent. He's got some good subs and great sub defense, but its the fact that no one can touch him on the ground that has won him so many fights .. going somewhere like Roufusport will really help him come along nicely in the sport.
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Bel...ort-Camp-31477

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Looking forward to Pitbull Sr. vs. Mike Chandler it was the final I was expecting to happen, two great prospects. Either one against Eddie will be great.

Lloyd Cupcake impressed me in his Bellator fights, great talent and still young with an 11-1 record.

Ben Askren did what Ben Askren usually does. Going full time and training with Roufus will hopefully make him more well-rounded.

*HW fight was sloppy but fun. Looked liked two giant rock 'em sock 'em robots going at it.
    Last edited by OD50; April 11th, 2011 at 6:23 AM.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ratings are in ..

Bellator 40 earned 218,000 viewers for the live broadcast and 190,000 for the replay directly afterwards .. second-highest since the promotion got on MTV2, so its good that they're picking up some steam again.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This weekend's Bellator 41 card ..

Main Card

Non-title 137 lb. Catchweight Fight
    Joe Warren vs. Marcos Galvao

Non-title Bantamweight Fight
    Zack Makovsky vs. Chad Robichaux

Featherweight Semifinals

Daniel Straus vs. Kenny Foster
    Wilson Reis vs. Patricio Freire

Local Feature Fights

Tony Johnson Jr. vs. Carlos Flores
    Anthony Birchak vs. Tyler Bialecki
    Michael Parker vs. Nick Piedmont
    Brendan Tierney vs. Dano Moore

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Really looking forward to all four televised fights. Interested in seeing that Robichexceuoozx character, he's something like 11-0 I believe.

Marcos Galvao is the guy that Damacio Page almost put into a coma back in WEC.

Bellator bringing the fun as always.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Warren on his fight this weekend with Marcus Galvao ..

"I'm going to impose my will on him until he breaks down, gives up, taps out, or I knock his ass out standing."

Seems pretty confident .. I guess I would be too if I was the baddest man on the planet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Warren has a horseshoe up his ass to have pulled that one off.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm betting that despite what he says, he wasn't ready for that weight cut .. he looked pretty damn tired through most of the fight .. to his credit though, he still grinded it out. I think Galvao at the very least earned himself a spot in the bantamweight tournament next season. They should do a rematch in the first round too cuz Warren said he plans on entering it, so that seems like it would be the best way to go really.