Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Results 1,501 to 1,524 of 1524

Thread: Bellator Fighting Championships

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you had any doubts that Cyborg isn't still one of the most violent if not THE most violent female fighter of all time, go watch the finish of the Budd fight. Oh my God it was like watching the finish to Chuck v. Tito 1. WOW. Makes you wonder how a Nunes rematch would have gone.

I'm not one of those goons who will try to pretend like UFC=end all be all. Budd hadn't lost a fight since fighting Ronda Rousey years ago, and her only losses including Cyborg are to Ronda and Nunes. So basically the 3 greatest female fighters ever. 11 fight winning streak. Perfect opponent for Cyborg to maul. Jesus Christ, it was so vicious.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rafael Lovato Jr has vacated the MW strap due to a brain condition and now Gegard (former champ) and Douglas Lima (current WW champ) will fight for the vacant MW title May 9th underneath the Bader-Nemkov LHW title fight.

I'm not sure what Bellator is trying to accomplish here. Lima hasn't fought at MW in 10 years and never fought for Bellator at that weight class. The problem here is that if he wins, he's already a champ at WW. So if he wins, that'd be 3 of their fighters holding 6 titles and shit Bader himself hasn't defended the LHW title in forever. (Patricio Freire holds the FW and LW titles FYI)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, if they popped a rating or put champion vs. champion fights on PPV you could understand it, but limiting the amount of championship fights hurts the surrounding cards, and lack of consistency is a huge problem for Bellator. They go months without a top fight. Mousasi vs. Salter likely does a similar number as the co-main here, whereas Lima defending the welterweight title against Lorenz Larkin would do a bigger number than, say, a Cheick Kongo vs. Sergei Kharitonov fight that will main event the next card in absence of a title fight.

On the flip side, it is a great fight, and a great one-two punch, so there is that. With these fights and the featherweight grand prix, as well as Horiguchi's injury, there's a lot of top contenders that can't challenge for the world title until the end of the year at least, considering Bader will want to put mass back on for heavyweight and Lima will need more time to cut back to 170.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Agreed, if they popped a rating or put champion vs. champion fights on PPV you could understand it, but limiting the amount of championship fights hurts the surrounding cards, and lack of consistency is a huge problem for Bellator. They go months without a top fight. Mousasi vs. Salter likely does a similar number as the co-main here, whereas Lima defending the welterweight title against Lorenz Larkin would do a bigger number than, say, a Cheick Kongo vs. Sergei Kharitonov fight that will main event the next card in absence of a title fight.

On the flip side, it is a great fight, and a great one-two punch, so there is that. With these fights and the featherweight grand prix, as well as Horiguchi's injury, there's a lot of top contenders that can't challenge for the world title until the end of the year at least, considering Bader will want to put mass back on for heavyweight and Lima will need more time to cut back to 170.
    That's the crazy part, I love the fight. I just don't like when this new phenomena of "double champs" starts clogging up divisions. Shit, Bellator has a knack for letting their champions go 2-3+ years without defending the title. Like that Russian fighter who was HW champ for like 3 years and defended it maybe once, while still being active in other promotions......Very strange.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's super rare when it's actually warrented too, going back through the UFC's history of it - I'd say only Miocic vs. Cormier honestly. Money-wise obviously they chase that 1 million PPV buys, but in terms of competition generally divisions get logjammed. They lucked into Max and Khabib looking so dominant once they eventually became undisputed champion after McGregor was stripped, otherwise both would've had "not the real champ" stigma.

Bellator does a lot of things I like and a lot of things I don't. I like signing prospects and feeding them cans on prelims. I prefer that to an 8-4 guy fighting a 7-2 guy, neither with power or a high number of skill, grafting to a decision against each other. What they've done with AJ McKee for example, is far better than the UFC bringing in a decent featherweight, matching him with other decent featherweights, and having him put on 5 decent unspectacular fights on prelims where he goes 4-1 or worse. There doesn't seem to be an end game for a lot of fighters, they're just bodies to fill cards. If one of the fighters involved doesn't have at least top 10 potential, unless they're putting on bangers, what's the point? I like tournaments, as it gives a clear hierarchy to divisions and creates storylines without having some uncharismatic cunt pretend to be Conor McGregor. I like matching legends with legends. I don't like inconsistency of cards or the pacing of their shows. They run to late in the day. And they're not the best promotors of all time, so quality fights can fly under the radar without having the correct spin put on it. It's alright though, and fucking insane that it's lasted longer now than PRIDE did as a whole.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's super rare when it's actually warrented too, going back through the UFC's history of it - I'd say only Miocic vs. Cormier honestly. Money-wise obviously they chase that 1 million PPV buys, but in terms of competition generally divisions get logjammed. They lucked into Max and Khabib looking so dominant once they eventually became undisputed champion after McGregor was stripped, otherwise both would've had "not the real champ" stigma.

Bellator does a lot of things I like and a lot of things I don't. I like signing prospects and feeding them cans on prelims. I prefer that to an 8-4 guy fighting a 7-2 guy, neither with power or a high number of skill, grafting to a decision against each other. What they've done with AJ McKee for example, is far better than the UFC bringing in a decent featherweight, matching him with other decent featherweights, and having him put on 5 decent unspectacular fights on prelims where he goes 4-1 or worse. There doesn't seem to be an end game for a lot of fighters, they're just bodies to fill cards. If one of the fighters involved doesn't have at least top 10 potential, unless they're putting on bangers, what's the point? I like tournaments, as it gives a clear hierarchy to divisions and creates storylines without having some uncharismatic cunt pretend to be Conor McGregor. I like matching legends with legends. I don't like inconsistency of cards or the pacing of their shows. They run to late in the day. And they're not the best promotors of all time, so quality fights can fly under the radar without having the correct spin put on it. It's alright though, and fucking insane that it's lasted longer now than PRIDE did as a whole.
    Yeah I remember Bellator debuting and on the boards there were like 2 people who had hope, one being our boy DUBYA. He knew the growth from MTV2 was going to happen and here we are 10+ years later and they're still going and growing. UFC kind of helped them out by fucking fighters on sponsorships and now Bellator are getting top 5 fighters as opposed to Marcus Davis and Joe Riggs.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, they've mainly been hamstrung by their top, top fighters not being particularly charismatic or accessible to middle America. Your Pitbull's, Bader's and Lima's are super fighters, but are very no nonsense, and so are the immediate contenders. Dominance, charisma and rivalries make stars, and they're generally lacking in the latter two categories. I think some of that is luck, though. The UFC, for example, really hit gold in that 2006/07 period where the Spike deal started to flourish. Chuck had that weird fighter charisma that can't really be explained, he was really good, and he had the huge rivalry with Ortiz, who himself was on a run, charismatic, and had the rivalry with Shamrock that hit to the public. GSP was a great fighter, charismatic if not a great talker, and had the rivalries with Penn, Hughes and then Serra. Anderson was great but didn't click until he came against the guy who could talk in Sonnen. Khabib's star was made by the Conor rivalry. Bellator just need one of these great, dominant champions to click as rivals against a guy that will bring their personality out of them and they should be away. McKee vs. Pitbull, should that be the final, might be that fight to be honest.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Fitch retired. We'll see lol. Tapped out by a Gracie in the 2nd, called it a day. Probably should at 42, over 40 fights. I wasn't a fan but he had a respectable career for sure.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a heads up, Gegard is now the MW champion again.

Also...I've been thinking over the last couple minutes how pissed off I still am that Chael Sonnen lost to Tito Ortiz. Especially after the build up:

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corey Anderson makes his Bellator debut Thursday against Melvin Manhoef. I had no idea that guy still fought. This should be a pretty easy win for Corey but we can't sleep on Melvin's power that can still knock dudes out.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another stupid decision by the UFC. Anderson is 1-1 with the current champion. I'm no fan of him, Bader or Davis but they belong in the Octagon. Manhoef is long past it so easy win for Corey.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another stupid decision by the UFC. Anderson is 1-1 with the current champion. I'm no fan of him, Bader or Davis but they belong in the Octagon. Manhoef is long past it so easy win for Corey.
    Those 3 were 3 people who nobody seemed to really care if they were in the UFC or not until they left. Just like Jon Fitch. Where were those same fans wondering why the UFC let him go elsewhere when he was on the card they didn't buy due to him being on it? Lol.

i'll say this....LHW hasn't skipped a beat not having those 3 and I'm glad they're in Bellator because it helps the bigger picture. That picture is we need more than just the UFC and if that means they have to get rid of some non-drawing top 10 fighters, that's fine by me because it makes Bellator look better. I'm not someone who thinks Bellator is the B-leagues when you have people like Ryan Bader, Rory Macdonald, Gegard, the list goes on of very very talented fighters who just so happen to be in a lesser known promotion.

But it can only help. Strikeforce is a prime example of a company who can compete with the UFC. They had a wonderful spot in the market and it's the reason why the UFC snatched them up.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think you keep hold of talented fighters. I certainly don't miss their fights and would take a Johnny Walker vs. Volkan Oezdemir fight or something over seeing a top 5 bout between Bader and Anderson, or either of those guys exposing Walker. I do miss the niche Strikeforce carved out, perfect mixture of prospects and veterans who fans cared about. Mousasi beside, I think that's what Bellator misses.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shocked that Anderson-Manhoef fight went to the 2nd round. I could see this dude beating Bader for the title. Bellator has a very good LHW division and Anderson was no bitch ass fighter in the UFC I could see him winning the belt there too especially with Jones gone.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumble Johnson chooses Bellator over the UFC. Curious if he'll just stay at HW or if he's still serious about cutting to 205. He's pretty fuckin huge right now.

Dude is one of my favorite fighters and I was really hoping we'd get to see Rumble v. Bones at HW.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Rumble/Nedkov would be pretty interesting I guess. Rematches with Davis and Bader might not excite too many. Maybe Rumble doesn't want to deal with USADA, who knows.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Rumble/Nedkov would be pretty interesting I guess. Rematches with Davis and Bader might not excite too many. Maybe Rumble doesn't want to deal with USADA, who knows.
    I'm sure it comes down to money. People don't realize just because Bellator isn't the brand that the UFC is that their fighters make peanuts. There are top tier fighters who left the UFC so they could get that sponsorship money back. USADA, maybe. Rumble doesn't have a history with failing drug tests or anything like that and I believe he's been in the testing pool hasn't he? I could be wrong I can't find anything when I search for it.

I don't know if there's a massive need to see those rematches. I'm not high on seeing Davis v. Rumble 2. Maybe Bader v. Rumble 2 @ HW would be a better result for Bader than getting KO'd in a minute lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Bellator got what they wanted with the Freire vs. McKee featherweight title final. Pitbull is 32-4 with 2 of the losses being split decisions and another due to injury. Most likely in the top 10 P4P right now given the Chandler win. McKee is 17-0, 25 years old, and has developed into a finishing threat in every facet of the game, like Pitbull. Both virtually even in their KO/sub ratio. I think they go with that on top on a PPV with the light heavyweight semi finals underneath - winner of Rumble vs. Romero challenging for the title so likely the 2 most meaningful fights in Bellator history on one show.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And two fights that the would probably main and co-main a UFC card too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Bellator got what they wanted with the Freire vs. McKee featherweight title final. Pitbull is 32-4 with 2 of the losses being split decisions and another due to injury. Most likely in the top 10 P4P right now given the Chandler win. McKee is 17-0, 25 years old, and has developed into a finishing threat in every facet of the game, like Pitbull. Both virtually even in their KO/sub ratio. I think they go with that on top on a PPV with the light heavyweight semi finals underneath - winner of Rumble vs. Romero challenging for the title so likely the 2 most meaningful fights in Bellator history on one show.
    Cybog v. Smith II has been announced for Bellator 259 on May 21st. Cyborg slaughtered her with ease the last time but you never know.

When was the last time Bellator put on a ppv?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well tonight is the night and judging by the fact the last post I made was the announcement of this main event, I see nobody cared LOL.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, there's very few people in Bellator I care about.

Is it one of the free ones on youtube? I might put it on if I have nothing else to watch.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Yeah, there's very few people in Bellator I care about.

Is it one of the free ones on youtube? I might put it on if I have nothing else to watch.
    Shit there's very people in MMA I care about lol. Too many fighters to keep up with. Bellator always has that weird undercard of 1-0, 2-3 type fighters who we never see again lol.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyborg has looked real good in Bellator so far. That suplex was vicious. Smith is tough for sure.