Page 128 of 137 FirstFirst ... 118124125126127128129130131132 ... LastLast
Results 12,701 to 12,800 of 13672

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    If he's actually unwilling to fight the most deserving fighter - and particularly coming directly off the heels of being in the midst of losing a fight to that fighter - then you can label it whatever..

it's ultimately a pretty bad look..

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    If he's actually unwilling to fight the most deserving fighter - and particularly coming directly off the heels of being in the midst of losing a fight to that fighter - then you can label it whatever..

it's ultimately a pretty bad look..
    Let me ask the audience, has Sterling came out and said I'm not fighting Yan next? I've heard him say hypothetically Yan might not be the fight the UFC offers him.

He has a few options: He can say "Give me Yan or I'm vacating the title" which he won't and the UFC aren't going to accept that. Or he can say "Give me Yan" and if the UFC say no, you're fighting Cejudo next, then he can take that fight or Option 3-hope he can get released lol.

These lighter weight classes have no real stroke, none of them are draws, they pretty much do what the fuck they're told or they can sit and not get paid.

You better bring your MMA resume before you call someone like Sterling a coward.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I pretty clearly said 'If'..

and I don't recall calling anyone a coward, regardless of anyone's resumes..

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    In other news sounds like Megan Anderson was released and she said on twitch they have one more featherweight fight lined up and then they're getting rid of the divison.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    I pretty clearly said 'If'..

and I don't recall calling anyone a coward, regardless of anyone's resumes..
    My post was simply in response to IF this was the situation......

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandria Ocasio-Bertez View Post
    In other news sounds like Megan Anderson was released and she said on twitch they have one more featherweight fight lined up and then they're getting rid of the divison.
    FW was like if the UFC decided to have a Super HW division. It would have a handful of guys that would bounce between HW and SHW and nobody would really care. I mean, Nunes is dope but she's not Ronda just like Usman isn't GSP. WMMA just doesn't get the overall respect it deserves but that's ok. It took Dana years to warm up to the idea despite Gina Carano being practically a household name when Ronda was still getting timed by Judo Gene on Challengers.

Let Bellator and other companies have them, it's better for the sport to have variety.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nunes got a record that I can never see being duplicated - won title fights by knockout, submission and decision in 2 separate divisions. Only Randy Couture has won 3+ title fights in 2 divisions as well, but didn't record a submission in a title fight during his career. Recorded in the first round too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Nunes got a record that I can never see being duplicated - won title fights by knockout, submission and decision in 2 separate divisions. Only Randy Couture has won 3+ title fights in 2 divisions as well, but didn't record a submission in a title fight during his career. Recorded in the first round too.
    Yeah it's one of those really detailed, broken down stats that most people won't accomplish. But an accomplishment that isn't ridiculous like when you hear things like, BJ Penn is the only fighter to have fought in 6 different weight classes and never be finished before he was 30.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    On one hand I agree but the one rivalry I always think back to is Rampage v. Wanderlai. Those first 2 fights didn't warrant a 3rd by any stretch of the imagination--but Rampage got his win back in a pretty memorable way so I can't fault the 3rd.
    That trilogy fight was almost 5 years later. Wanderlei was basically done as a top contender at that point in his career. He was never the same after receiving those two brutal KOs from Hendo and Cro Cop. Prime Silva was too much for Rampage to handle
    Last edited by JuveLeo; March 11th, 2021 at 5:04 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last Nunes vs Valentina fight was almost 4 years ago. I'm not that interested in them running it back a third time, even though I had Valentina winning the second one. It's a case of what do you do with either of them if Nunes wins again? If Valentina wins, do you go a fourth time? That fight is pretty much a no win for Nunes. If she loses, considering Shevchenko is very clearly undersized and has a great record herself, does she steal the greatest of all time from Nunes?

I wish we could've seen Shevchenko vs Cyborg too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyborg would have killed Shevchenko. Nunes got super lucky that Cyborg was a dumbfuck in that fight. I would kill for a rematch.

If Shevchenko beat Nunes in the 3rd fight I don't think it would take anything away from Nunes' legacy. Shevchenko didn't beat the talent Nunes beat in terms of name value, probably skill level as well.

I want to see it just because it's the only time we've seen Nunes in a truly competitive fight in awhile. 4 years ago is a long time especially when you had JDS/Cain V fighting 3 times in 2 years.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyborg vs. Nunes II is the match to make. Cyborg came out wild and overconfident thinking she would just steamroll over Nunes in their 1st fight. If they fight a second time, i think she'll keep her composure and fight a little more technical, making it a much more competitive fight overall. I'm unsure we'll see it with Dana and Cyborg's beef unfortunately

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JuveLeo View Post
    Cyborg vs. Nunes II is the match to make. Cyborg came out wild and overconfident thinking she would just steamroll over Nunes in their 1st fight. If they fight a second time, i think she'll keep her composure and fight a little more technical, making it a much more competitive fight overall. I'm unsure we'll see it with Dana and Cyborg's beef unfortunately
    Yeah the only way this fight happen is if it happens outside the UFC. I agree as well. Cyborg got caught, no different than Aldo-McGregor. There's a reason the UFC didn't book that rematch. Plenty of people wanted to see it again, the UFC didn't want to chance a different result I guess and have McGregor stuck at 145 killing himself.

Just like Dana saying Cyborg didn't want the rematch against Nunes. Hilarious. Nunes was the one who kept putting the fight off but hey it worked out in her favor. Trust me, if you're going to fight Cyborg you better hope A-you get finished quick or B-you finish her quick because it'll be a long night.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another card that just never really excited me to begin with. I wasn't on the hype train of Hazmat, IDC one bit about Leon Edwards. This is a card that I would watch simply out of love for the sport and maybe become a fan of someone in the process.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wow, illegal knee for one fight and an eye poke no contest for the main event.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please commission new gloves.

Also how was that knee not a DQ when Yan’s was?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those wondering about the difference in DQ here's what I read on the Sherdog play by play:

As Dean did not rule the foul intentional, and it did not reach the midpoint of the second round, it should be ruled a no contest
    So I'm assuming that since Yan/Sterling went 4+ rounds that's why it was deemed a DQ and this fight was a NC. Run it back. Run this and the main event back.

Leon Edwards asking for a title shot has to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard in the history of MMA.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Please commission new gloves.

Also how was that knee not a DQ when Yan’s was?
    Trevor Wittman has great ones, they just need to pay the man and let him keep ownership.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Costa out, Gastelum in to fight Bobby Knuckles. This fight was supposed to go down once before but Bob almost died probably cutting weight like most in this profession.

Sucks for Costa as a win would no doubt put him back in the mix. Kelvin, hey he was one of the only guys to fuck up Izzy.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Julija Stoliarenko collapsed at the weigh in, it's on video and hard to watch.

Her fight is off.

How many fighters need to have issues like this before they think about changing how weight classes wok?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Olivera/Chandler is for the belt. Khabib is fully retired. I guess Poirer either thinks he can beat the winner later, wants the Mcgregor payday or both.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Also 262 is in Houston and will be FULL CAPACITY.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel sorry for Gaethje being left in the cold but it is what it is. He's ready to fight so hopefully he can get in there soon.

Derek Brunson derailed another hype train. Underrated really because he generally loses in spectacular fashion, but only to world class fighters. Holland is fun to watch and dangerous but he's not on that level and it showed. Shame as Adesanya and Holland would have been a fun build up.

Volkanovski vs. Ortega is off next weeks card due to COVID. Guessing it lands on that Fig/Moreno card to bolster that. Puts Max Holloway's timeline to pot so hopefully he gets another run out (Yair or Zabit?) in the summer for a five rounder.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think it will be Gaethje/Hooker, which is a good fight.

Derek Brunson is boring as hell and I never want to see him in a title fight. He's going to lose to anyone with take down defense.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be looking at dropping Hooker a level, but if it's a fight he'd take then I'd be down for it. Gaethje has obviously looked excellent Khabib aside recently, but it's not like he's a mythically flawless stand up fighter. He can be hurt, and Hooker has generally been pretty resilient until the Chandler fight. It'd be fun. RDA vs. Makhachev is a no brainer now that both have feature wins since the last time it was booked, very solid main event fight. Winner would fight the most impressive looking winner from the Ferguson/Dariush and Gaethje/Hooker fights for the next title shot after the Poirier/McGregor winner. Good times in this division as there's not a bad fight amongst that lot. Islam is the only guy in the top 10 who's kill ratio isn't that great, other than that they're all lunatics.

I don't blame Brunson for his change in style. He had 9 of 10 fights, win or lose (6-3), end in the first round. He was an exciting fighter and it got him as much success as he's getting now for being dull. He'll likely get stopped when he steps up to top 5 competition again as his level is fringe top 10.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm digging the Oliveira/Chandler fight. I can see the point of view about him only having 1 UFC win under his belt=title shot in arguably the deepest most well rounded division in all of MMA. But that's the thing....Even Bellator has depth @ 155, Chandler beat the fuck out of top tier guys that came to the UFC and won the title. He was also the alternate for the Khabib/Gaethje fight so obviously the UFC has high hopes for this guy.

If Geathje didn't just have a title shot 4 months back where he was absolutely dominated then yeah I could see him in the fight. There are no easy fights in the top 20, especially in the top 10 so whoever he gets next it'll be a killer fight. Maybe try to get one of those L's back.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

The rules were already enforced when he lost the fight and the belt. Aljo's being a real idiot lately.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    The knee must've made him forget the rest of the fight that happened.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    If it quacks like a duck..

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Also, he can go ask Paul Daley what happens if you hit someone after the bell. Although if he had became undeniable I'm sure Dana would have rescinded the ban because he loves money more than anything else.

Azaitar is fighting again on this card after being banned for bag-gate on fight island likely because he's undefeated and that draws.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Azaitar (Ottman) has been brought back, but the guy that fought today was his brother. Just got trucked by MAB. Shame this card lost the featherweight title fight, it's lacking a bit because of it. Still, Luque doesn't have boring fights and O'Malley vs. Almeida should be either an early KO or a war. Sugar Sean still hasn't beaten a good fighter in their prime, Almeida's flawed but he's better than anybody he's beat to this point.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You're right. I was disappointed when I saw it was the other Azaitar.

Dana did say Ottoman was unbanned and would fight again though.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    These Dagestan dudes are going to be a problem.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Damnnnnnn.

I have yet to win a parlay. Maybe I should stop betting.

Ngannou vs Jones is going to be crazy.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    Incredible win from ngannou but damn can stipe take damage

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    That KO looked brutal from all of the replays I've seen.

Good for him, hope he can hold onto it for a while.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ngannou is going to put Jon Jones' head in the bleachers and it'll be the greatest moment in the sport's history. Can't wait. What a man.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    Incredible win from ngannou but damn can stipe take damage
    Yeah absolutely. And he was able to get back to his feet and stay standing whilst Rogan was saying they shouldn't let him because he'd just fall over again lol. Terrifying stuff from Ngannou.

The O'Malley/Almeida fight was entertaining too with O'Malley backing off in the first round thinking he'd finished it only for Almeida to come back, then having to deliver a brutal final blow later on even though Almeida didn't seem to know where he was. But he certainly wasn't about to make the same mistake again.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He certainly WAS about the make the same mistake again, but thought better of it. Three absolutely brutal finished at the top of the card. Nice to see Tyron pushing for the action for a change, but he couldn’t handle what came back. He could dust off a couple of decent fighters if he stays aggressive so at least his career doesn’t finish with a total slump, but I can’t see that result encouraging him to do that. Very happy for Francis, very sad for Stipe, very excited for the bones fight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's mad to me that there was a UFC card just over 5 years ago with Kamaru Usman vs. Leon Edwards, Francis Ngannou, Vicente Luque, Valentina Shevchenko and Charles Oliviera on the same event and they were all prelims. Talk about before they were stars! That's why the nutters amongst us watch bell to bell if we can.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That was Tyrons last fight on his contract, he probably goes to Bellator now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should consider hanging them up. He had a great career, can't think of too many fighters in the 25 or so years since belts became a thing in the UFC that had 4 successful consecutive title defences. 15 apparently, 4 of them being in the weaker, formulative women's divisions. In terms of male champions in the last 20 years - Tito Ortiz, Chuck Liddell, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Matt Hughes, Georges St-Pierre, Jose Aldo, Demetrious Johnson, and Tyron Woodley. That's the company he keeps, yet he's never really gotten the props he deserves. He beat really good fighters in the form of their lives too - that Lawler, Wonderboy x2, Maia, Till run was a showcase of a well rounded, great champion.

Luque is a killer though. 13-2 in his last 15 (losses to Wonderboy and Leon), 12 by finish, with the 1 decision being a fight the doctor would have called if the knee that destroyed Mike Perry's nose happened literally any earlier. Such a watchable fighter. The Nate Diaz callout is never happening, but guy deserves a big outing next time out. Preferably a five rounder. For me, I'm happy enough for the Usman/Masvidal winner to sit until the fall, so make any combination of Covington, Edwards, Burns and Wonderboy with the most impressive winner getting the title shot, and chuck Luque in there with Chiesa with the winner of that getting the other winner for next shot. Easy. Great division.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ngannou is going to put Jon Jones' head in the bleachers and it'll be the greatest moment in the sport's history. Can't wait. What a man.
    lol you have been counting the days going on 5-6 years now it seems

I hope it happens. Ngannou has 2 fights that should happen: Lewis and Jones. I can 100% understand why they would maybe give Jones someone other than Ngannou and then maybe have Ngannou/Lewis 2 to redeem themselves. But there only maybe 2 fighters outside Ngannou that I would want to see Jones fight and that would be Volkov or Stipe. It has to be a top 5 guy doesn't it?

Worst case scenario Jones gets destroyed in a few minutes of the 1st round so I think you have to make the biggest fights possible so he doesn't move up for nothing. So he 100% should get more money for 1-because he cleared out a division 2-3 different times and 2-because he's moving up to a weight class that ranges from 207-265lbs lol. Anyone of Jones' stature making that extreme jump should be getting 7 figures a fight.

But it's the UFC. McGregor pretty much had to leave and go fuck with Floyd to up his wealth and status to make 8 figures in the UFC. 7 is just as impossible it seems w/o sponsorships.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jones absolutely gets a title shot without a warm up I think, unless he chooses not to. Personally I think it's a shame that the PPV model exists otherwise Jones beating the shell of Junior dos Santos would have made sense around about now to marinate that title fight. But you have to pay Jones top champion salary and they'd be hesitant to do that in a non-title co main event. They should absolutely pay him as there's no guarantee Ngannou will ever be more relevant as champion as he is right now, and Jones too. It's the perfect storm. What if Ngannou and Beast rematch and they just stare at each other for 25 minutes again? The value drops. This is it at it's absolute peak, and with the absence of Khabib, GSP and Rousey the bottom line NEEDS Francis Ngannou vs. Jon Jones for the heavyweight title. For Jones, I think the numbers add up finally, whereas last year the teased Ngannou fight lacked A: a title, B: a crowd and C: the need for a big fight. Economically you can't say the UFC made the wrong choice not doing it last year. Now they can fill an arena/stadium and Ngannou's the champion? It needs to happen.

Ngannou should be pretty damn excited. Theoretically he could get Jones, Miocic 3, Lewis 2 and Gane in the next couple of years, all being well. The GOAT, the trilogy, the revenge and the unbeaten compatriot.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Jones is practically begging for his release. It seems like a tactic, but damn it would be such a waste if he put on all that weight/muscle for the intentions of fighting at HW, especially for the belt....And for what? To go fight Ryan Bader again? Maybe Rampage rematch? Video game dream match v. Fedor?

HW outside of the UFC is terrible.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Jones is a lunatic. Look at his rap sheet of nonsense that has damaged both the integrity of the company and the bottom line. Economically, yes he should absolutely be paid more, but it's hard to watch the cheek of the man considering he's spent the last 6 years failing drugs tests, running over pregnant women and destroying PPV main events on a moments notice. Did he compensate Daniel Cormier for when he knocked him out while on steroids? Alexander Gustafsson for getting their rematch moved from Vegas to California on a weeks notice cos he didn't flush the drugs out of his system? High and mighty shithouse, but he's been that the whole time.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't like Jon Jones as a person but I want Ngannou to knock him the fuck out so pay the man.

Connor has also been involved in shit like throwing a dollie at a bus causing physical injury to Michael Chiesa and psychological injury to Thug Rose along with punching Bob Barker lookalikes at bars and they still pay him.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Jones is a lunatic. Look at his rap sheet of nonsense that has damaged both the integrity of the company and the bottom line. Economically, yes he should absolutely be paid more, but it's hard to watch the cheek of the man considering he's spent the last 6 years failing drugs tests, running over pregnant women and destroying PPV main events on a moments notice. Did he compensate Daniel Cormier for when he knocked him out while on steroids? Alexander Gustafsson for getting their rematch moved from Vegas to California on a weeks notice cos he didn't flush the drugs out of his system? High and mighty shithouse, but he's been that the whole time.
    Yes, I’m normally a huge advocate of fighter pay increases and while I don’t side with the ufc here I totally understand their stance. He’s a nightmare to negotiate with now and he’s unreliable and it’s not unreasonable to expect that he might beat the new champ...also unlike Conor McGregor he’s not a massive draw and where he is a draw is in the US, which is already a captive audience. Francis vs Bones maybe does 200k buys more than Francis vs Lewis and if he wins you’ve got an unreliable mercenary as your heavyweight champion. He definitely deserves more than whatever he is getting paid, they all do, but I wouldn’t pay him it either. It does intrigue me how far apart they are, and I do kind of wish someone would expose that. My feeling from what’s been said is that Bones is probably getting around $5m and he’s looking for closer to $30m...no way they are going anywhere near that high. Until we know that it’s impossible to know who to side with. The UFC are normally disgusting with their negotiations, but if they are offering him $10m for the fight and he’s refusing to move for less than what he wants, then I’m actually on the UFC’s side, whereas if he wants to negotiate higher than his current pay to go up and fight Francis and they are just tapping at his contract, then yeah, that’s not right either.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are horribly underestimating the drawing power of Jon Jones moving up to HW and fighting Ngannou.

If Masvidal v. Usman can go above a million, I think Jones v. Ngannou can do the same.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jones historically draws when he's facing an opponent people think can beat him. That's always been the draw with him. Nobody's paying to see him against 4/1 underdogs. That thing does a big buyrate if it's built properly. I want him to get lowballed and knocked out, but I'd accept the latter.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I think it does big enough. Maybe 1.2m big, but I think if you build a big undercard for a Ngannu vs Lewis you’re probably coming in close to 1m anyway. I think Francis as heavyweight champ is going to bring a lot of eyes.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Till is out of fight night against Vettori with injury.

Kevin Holland wants in, why not? I hope they do it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Diaz vs Edwards signed. Great fight for Leon that.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So 1m buys is somehow a bad thing....

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that a million buys is a bad thing whatsoever.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that a million buys is a bad thing whatsoever.
    I think your initial post threw me off a little by saying both fights would do roughly the same number. But then you came back around with saying you would probably have to stack the undercard of Lewis v. Ngannou to get close to a million.

So I get where you're coming from, but we'll definitely have to wait and see what kind of numbers this past ppv did to see if Ngannou is on that path.

Jones is probably going to price himself out of the fight.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Apparently Connor made $50 million for the Khabib fight. That was kind of a perfect storm of personalities, drama, and hype though.

I don't see how you can get that animosity out of Jones/Ngannou. Like Eric Bichoff said controversy creates cash.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently Connor made $50 million for the Khabib fight. That was kind of a perfect storm of personalities, drama, and hype though.

I don't see how you can get that animosity out of Jones/Ngannou. Like Eric Bichoff said controversy creates cash.
    Connor is also the biggest name in MMA history as well as one of the biggest names in sports.

I would have to see how much Jones has made in the past. If he's making that already, I can see why he'd want more to fight a motherfucker like Ngannou. Dana White is pissing away a million dollars on bets like it's quarter tossing in a well.

Me personally I think if you take arguably the greatest fighter of all time in Jon Jones v. the murderer that is Ngannou, you're going to make your money.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Connor is also the biggest name in MMA history as well as one of the biggest names in sports.

I would have to see how much Jones has made in the past. If he's making that already, I can see why he'd want more to fight a motherfucker like Ngannou. Dana White is pissing away a million dollars on bets like it's quarter tossing in a well.

Me personally I think if you take arguably the greatest fighter of all time in Jon Jones v. the murderer that is Ngannou, you're going to make your money.
    Reportedly he earned 500,000 to show for each of his last 6 fights with 30-40k fight week incentive pay. That doesn't include any points he would have gotten from PPVs though.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Gotta love Derrick Lewis.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reportedly he earned 500,000 to show for each of his last 6 fights with 30-40k fight week incentive pay. That doesn't include any points he would have gotten from PPVs though.
    Hey, it's better than what he would've been making had the UFC not provided the best lawyers money could buy to keep his dumbass out of prison for 10 years of his life.

Still.....$500,000 is weak if that's his base pay.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's declared fight money. These top guys are making millions, they're just not getting the cut of the pie they generally deserve. I think, realistically, if Ngannou vs. Lewis 2 does say 700k and Ngannou vs. Jones does 1.2m, I don't think it's unjustifiable for Jones to be looking at a figure north of 20 million. His involvement would likely cover that in increased revenue.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By all accounts he generally clears around $5m per fight. If they are talking $10m then they are on the right path at least. Double the amount he's currently getting on his contract. Presumably they are getting points on the PPV, so an incentive to take a big fight and selling more PPVs. I think 'way too low' is overstating it a bit. It would be interesting to hear what Bones is asking for. If his starting point is not going below $20m, then he's pricing himself out of it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I mean, was Jones lead to believe that if he moved up he would be getting a serious increase in pay? I mean, in reality, he fucking should. Take away all the personal shit, this is easily a top 5 great, maybe even the greatest depending how you stack up his competition v. Khabib or GSP.

He just needs to stop putting this shit out there like Dana is going to crumble under some twitter pressure.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You give Jon Jones $20m dollars for this fight and he wins...how are you going to be able to get him the defend the title?

I agree that fighters generally should be worth about double what they are currently being paid (works out quite well actually as the UFC is paying about 25% of it's income to it's talent, whereas most other sports organisations are closer to 50%) and I wish that the UFC would pay them it rather than hoarding the profit themselves. But if I'm them, there's no way I'm bending that far this time for Jon Jones. You don't want your prolonged contract negotiations with your heavyweight champ, you don't want him demanding $40m, you don't want him sitting out for 2 years or retiring with the belt, you don't want to cut him so that your heavyweight champ can go into promotion on his own, or worse to one of your competitors.

At this stage, for the UFC, what you want him to do is talk about it loads, give the shine to Francis, make it quite clear to the casual fans that he is pricing himself out of it (which most of the people he is talking to will, to them a guy wanting $20m instead of $10m is not going to garner him much sympathy), then you can say that he was scared and people will believe it. Meanwhile you get Derrick Lewis in the background being the everyman on the street saying 'I'll take it for $8m' and people lap it up. Then Jones sits out for a couple of years, Ngannu builds his profile with a couple of defences and Jon comes crawling back and takes the deal.

Really, the way he is publicly complaining about it is playing perfectly into the UFC's hands. He really isn't that bright.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to also say that I feel bad saying "Well Jones should be thankful with all this outside of the octagon issues" but then you look at McGregor who's done just as bad shit outside the cage that we talked about earlier.

But like I said, he's putting this shit on the internet like Dana gives a shit lol. Especially from Jon. If it was someone that wasn't so fucking entitled, maybe they'd be willing to bend.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    https://money.usnews.com/investing/n...-musk-to-board

Someone explain to me if this actually means anything.

@Clutch

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    https://www.mmanews.com/2021/03/dill...agen-training/

Dillashaw cheating? What? No way.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony needs to move on especially with the corny insults. Wonderful fighter, weirdo everywhere else.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how odd Tony Ferguson is. Wonderfully strange. That fight with Dariush is going to be a banger, Dariush comes to fight but Ferguson should be sharp enough to take him out as his cardio has never been the best and Tony is as durable as they come.

I hope that Leon/Diaz fight actually starts a precedent and we just start getting fights that should be 5 rounds being 5 rounds. That's not to say I want every fight featuring somebody in the top 10 being contested like it, but if you're putting big, important fights on PPV and crappier fights as TV main events, it creates an imbalance of what should be fought over the championship distance. Let's go back to December for example - Vettori vs. Hermansson being a 5 round fight (and it was a good one in fairness - not a testament to the quality of the actual scrap) while the next week Tony Ferguson and Charles Oliviera compete in a three round fight. Understood that you want to put big fights on PPV cards for buyrates, but big fights with championship calibre fighters should be five round fights. Obviously the preference here is all PPV's have 2-3 title fights then the remaining main card with names that aren't close to the title while TV has de facto #1 contender fights as the headliner, but if non-title championship level fights are booked for a PPV, let's have them go 5 rounds. Another example, Bobby Knuckles vs. Jared Cannonier on the Khabib undercard - that fight felt like it was just getting going after 3 rounds!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Pride had a much more relaxed approach but I did enjoy how certain events and/or fights would mix it up with the time. Bushido you had I think 2 rounds, 1st was 10 mins, 2nd was 5. The numbered events were 10-5-5 I believe but then you had other fights that were the Bushido rules, or some fights way back had NO time limit lol.

UFC has to be a little more structured but like you're basically asking, why only title fights and main events? Remember, this is why they introduced 5 round non-title fights because they felt that Leben fight was worthy of more time. Like you're saying, some fights just seem to be getting started around the 3rd round and obviously they know Nate Diaz has fucking sick cardio, durable, barely fights these days so he's gotta be feeling good.

I don't know if I like the fight on paper but it's all part of this crazy WWE-like storyline. All the characters are now completely intertwined somehow with Masvidal, Diaz, and Edwards. Imagine if Jorge wins the title from Usman, unifying the BMF title and faces Nate. Nate gets a win over a guy in the top 5 coming straight off the couch stoned as hell so it doesn't seem like it's gifted.

On top of all this you have motherfuckin McGregor v. Poirier, neither man worried about 170 and when they end the trilogy and draw a million in buys (maybe 2?). So how would they fit into the mix because you know damn well that despite their fight being @ 155, DW will reward the winner with a huge fight.

So what needs to happen for Usman? If he wins, there's probably no big money fights but if Leon wins I GUESS you could let him try a 2nd time at beating Usman. If you give Nate the title shot you have to give it to Leon, right? He could vacate the title and move up to 185---but he doesn't want shit to do with some of those guys I promise you especially Izzy. Usman ultimately needs to lose, it opens up maybe a 2nd fight with Colby or even a fight against Edwards & Diaz just not for the belt.

Usman v. Poirier or McGregor is very interesting, appealing, but not the greatest outcome from my perspective.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usman's closing in on rarified air. If he beats Masvidal he's closing in on Anderson Silva's winning streak, 2 away from 16. I know Jones is pretty much 22-0 but the record books show a drugs test failure and a DQ loss. The preference I think is do Wonderboy vs. Colby and have the winner fight the winner of the Usman/Masvidal and Edwards/Diaz fights. Usman gets through that and he's pretty much cleaned the division out, so at that point you probably go super fight either him against the 185 champion if it isn't Israel, or the 155 champion going up to fight him.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usman's closing in on rarified air. If he beats Masvidal he's closing in on Anderson Silva's winning streak, 2 away from 16. I know Jones is pretty much 22-0 but the record books show a drugs test failure and a DQ loss. The preference I think is do Wonderboy vs. Colby and have the winner fight the winner of the Usman/Masvidal and Edwards/Diaz fights. Usman gets through that and he's pretty much cleaned the division out, so at that point you probably go super fight either him against the 185 champion if it isn't Israel, or the 155 champion going up to fight him.
    Wonderboy v. Usman would be a good fight I think. He's been a little under the radar lately so I spaced him off.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    264 Poirer vs Mcgregor is official.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    264 Poirer vs Mcgregor is official.
    Very excited. DP was one of the few people I always wanted to see face McGregor again, got my wish, and now we get the 3rd fight. Winner take all.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ortega and Volk are TUF coaches.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderboy vs Gilbert Burns!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great fight. Wish it was 5 rounds! Cyril Gane vs. Alexander Volkov is a headliner in June, good chance that's a #1 contenders fight if Jones stays out and Ngannou fights Lewis. If not, I imagine the winner fights Stipe or Beast for the next shot.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Demian Maia vs Belal Muhammad for UFC 263, June 12th

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Demian Maia vs Belal Muhammad for UFC 263, June 12th
    How is Maia still beating asses? lol. I know he lost his last fight but I bet he could beat this dude.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Well, I think it's funny how much he doesn't want this rematch but if it really doesn't happen for 9 months at least Sterling might have some new techniques to do better in the next fight.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to make all the money he can for his champ interviews before the belt, because he isn't keeping it when he fights Yan again.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually thought pro wrestling took the whole "title can change hands on a DQ" from boxing but apparently that's not the case so maybe boxing, MMA, etc. need to take a page out of the wrestling rulebook. I think at the very least if something that would require a fighter being DQ'd happens in a title fight it should be ruled a no contest. If they want to call it a DQ, fine, just don't give the title up.

Ugh, frustrating for the division, the current and former champ, the fans of this division are probably holding on by a thread. This just makes it worse.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with that would be if you were behind in a fight going into the championship rounds, knackered, knowing that you’ve got enough to keep on going but not enough to take your challenger out of there...go for a big ball shot and keep your title.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with that would be if you were behind in a fight going into the championship rounds, knackered, knowing that you’ve got enough to keep on going but not enough to take your challenger out of there...go for a big ball shot and keep your title.
    Well yeah but until we test that theory out it's not like we see a lot of that as it is lol. I think it would be pretty obvious if all the sudden you were getting your ass beat and you just said fuck it and purposely DQ'd yourself. Probably be grounds to get stripped and fired for sure so idk if anyone is willing to lose their job/career unless we're talking about Palhares lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marvin Vettori is one dull, unlikable fighter, but he's fundamentally solid, tough and durable so he's always going to beat a fighter with flaws like Holland. It sucked though. He's having a laugh if he thinks he's getting a title shot based off that, though he may luck into it if Whittaker loses next weekend based on the lack of momentum within the division.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marvin Vettori is one dull, unlikable fighter, but he's fundamentally solid, tough and durable so he's always going to beat a fighter with flaws like Holland. It sucked though. He's having a laugh if he thinks he's getting a title shot based off that, though he may luck into it if Whittaker loses next weekend based on the lack of momentum within the division.
    He has a style that some people will find interesting, to see if an opponent can figure out the puzzle. Kind of like people who are fans of Usman. You just get bored to death trying to figure out the puzzle.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

This is fucking crazy.

Here's the push.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post

This is fucking crazy.

Here's the push.
    I've been shoved harder by my 80 year old grandma lol.

Stephens is from my side of town in Des Moines (well technically he's from Norwalk which is 2 minutes from the southside) and due to being very close in age we have a lot of the same friends so it was pretty hilarious last night on Facebook reading some of the comments between him and some of our mutual friends.

The one I liked was "Imagine if I hit him in the cage" It's unfortunate that happened but holy fuck....A concussion from a shove??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see Whittaker get the job done last night. One of the best representatives of the sport, cracking human being and I'd love to see him regain the title. He's so well rounded and it's good to see him active against top contenders considering his title reign was interrupted with injury consistently - between Bisping/Henderson and Whittaker/Adesanya, there were THREE interim title fights (Rob/Yoel, Yoel/Luke, Israel/Kelvin) to one world title fight (Bisping/GSP). Was a mad run of bad luck for Bobby. He never actually won an undisputed title fight.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Whitaker did really well but I'm still not sure he did well enough that I think he beats Izzy. He still got hit a bunch. He uses that combo with the right head kick a lot. I'll watch though.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Whittaker might be my favourite active fighter. Jeremy Stephens is not. Total tool.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1,000 shoves a year at weigh ins but Jeremy Stephens is a tool.....Which you're actually correct he is kind of a tool.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally the shoves involve people who have had heat going in to the weigh in, or one person getting in the other's face. Klose had his hands behind his back and did not initiate anything. Also, Stephen's almost murdered a guy once. We agree that regardless of this particular incident, he's a tool.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't think he's overly bright, and when he's in fight mode he doesn't have any restraint. Look at some of the post KO shots he's landed in the past. Not that that's necessarily on him, fight until the referee pulls you off I guess, but he's certainly no gentleman like Mousasi or Machida. Regardless, he's made the delayed fight with Klose a bit of a tasty one, one that will probably warrant a decent slot on a card, not bad for a career gatekeeper on a skid going back up in weight against a no name.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Jorge Masvidal also likes to put his hands behind his back.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need Masvidal to win more than ever. Sets up a nice trilogy fight and at the very least gives Usman a nice payday again. We need fresh fights. If Colby wins his next fight, give him Masvidal. I would actually like to see this all lead to Wonderboy v. Masvidal II. Wonderboy wins the title, then he could go on and fight Usman v. Colby II winner.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want Usman to beat Masvidal and Wonderboy to beat Burns and get the next shot.

Masvidal got easily handled in the first fight and doesn't deserve an immediate (for him) rematch. It's ridiculous that Whittaker has to beat 3 top guys after losing to Adesanya and Masvidal can sit out for a year and then get a rematch.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want Usman to beat Masvidal and Wonderboy to beat Burns and get the next shot.

Masvidal got easily handled in the first fight and doesn't deserve an immediate (for him) rematch. It's ridiculous that Whittaker has to beat 3 top guys after losing to Adesanya and Masvidal can sit out for a year and then get a rematch.
    When you are one of the top 3 draws in the company and you took a fight on 6 days notice against a killer like Usman, you get rewarded.

Maybe if Bobby Knuckles didn't get obliterated like a child in his title fight he might've been the first one up. Not to mention if he would be able to stay healthy long enough to make it to the fight, the guy is made of glass unfortunately.

So you're really talking about 2 totally different scenarios just to spite Masvidal. I would love to see Usman v. Wonderboy as well so hopefully Wonderboy wins becuase him against either guy for the title would be awesome. But yeah, don't throw shade on Masvidal because he put in the work to call his own shots. When you do your job for 15+ years and bring in a million viewers off the couch, you can do what the fuck you want.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Dana said Colby is next for whoever is champ after Usman/Masvidal (probably Usman, being realistic.)

I guess the moral of the story is sit on your spot. I like Colby but I would have liked to see him fight someone else first. Either matchup is $ though and that's all UFC cares about.