Page 124 of 137 FirstFirst ... 114120121122123124125126127128134 ... LastLast
Results 12,301 to 12,400 of 13672

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pulling for Gaethje. If Khabib wins here I don't know what's really next. Nobody wants to see this guy yap about boxing on some wannabe McGregor shit like he did the last couple times so what's next if he wins?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Gaethje's fun to watch and definitely easy to root for, but I absolutely want to see Khabib cement his GOAT-level status here.

And I'm not terribly concerned what could be next, that more less tends to work itself out in mma, I just enjoy being able to witness sheer greatness.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Gaethje's fun to watch and definitely easy to root for, but I absolutely want to see Khabib cement his GOAT-level status here.

And I'm not terribly concerned what could be next, that more less tends to work itself out in mma, I just enjoy being able to witness sheer greatness.
    This could definitely be the fight that cements him as the GOAT 155'er if he already isn't, which I see no one else being able to make a case that it's anyone but Khabib.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I like Gateje but I want Khabib to win. I'd like to see GSP/Khabib.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I like Gateje but I want Khabib to win. I'd like to see GSP/Khabib.
    5 years ago yes. Now, a win over GSP would just feel like when Tito finally knocked out Chuck. GSP's legacy is what it is and coming back just to lose to Khabib, meh. Too much of a gamble. I think anyone calling out GSP or Nick Diaz deserve to get knocked out in 2 seconds by the #30 ranked in their division.

If I'm being positive about the fight I wouldn't be negative to it 100% because GSP, imo, is the greatest fighter of all time and coming back, beating someone like Khabib would be wild. But unnecessary. Khabib loses to GSP, you either consider GSP the greatest or you realize Khabib isn't that good because nobody that inactive should be able to come back and beat a guy like Khabib especially when they're 40.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather GSP stayed retired. That was the perfect ending. His reflexes will have only regressed and he clearly wasn't the same fighter after the ACL surgery anyway, basically exploiting two historically bad takedown defences before having life or deaths with Hendricks and Bisping. Won them all, won the middleweight title with a finish at Madison Square Garden, that's it.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just found out UFC 254 is going to be at 1pm my time. Normally I wouldn't care but I'm going to have a few people over and actually buy the ppv, because it's the day before my 30th birthday, so I'm a little annoyed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7pm my time, which is an absolutely lovely rarity! Can't wait to be in bed at a decent time after a night of fights.

Saturday's card is avoidable. Holly Holm over 5 rounds, is there any need?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    I'd rather GSP stayed retired. That was the perfect ending. His reflexes will have only regressed and he clearly wasn't the same fighter after the ACL surgery anyway, basically exploiting two historically bad takedown defences before having life or deaths with Hendricks and Bisping. Won them all, won the middleweight title with a finish at Madison Square Garden, that's it.
    For me, he's already done the "What if he comes back and wins a big fight" story. He fought someone who was bigger, stronger, more active, tough as hell and walked out MW champion.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/...ething-special

Khabib's manager apparently has said that this is not GSP or McG. So, what else could be "something special"?

/Could it be Khabib vs. Bear - The Rematch.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    My first thought was Usman but apparently Usman said he never would because they share the same manager.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/...ething-special

Khabib's manager apparently has said that this is not GSP or McG. So, what else could be "something special"?

/Could it be Khabib vs. Bear - The Rematch.
    If he beats Gaethje then who knows. Honestly, Michael Chandler isn't exactly something special even if you're a super hardcore MMA fan. I'm not interested in these dumbass fights with GSP, McGregor, a Diaz. Maybe it's Masvidal? That guy used to fight at 155. I don't know if he could make that weight NOW as he seemed to be pretty content on 170 but hey if the money is right, why not?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Definitely prefer to see Khabib vs Chandler over Masvidal..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely prefer to see Khabib vs Chandler over Masvidal..
    Of course you would.

So I'm hearing Dana has offered to do the December 12th proposed charity sparring between DP and McGregor in the UFC as a legit rematch on that same date. IDK if it's going to be Ireland but you never know. That's a fight I'd love to see.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Of those options, of course..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of those options, of course..
    In the context of "something special" I fail to see outside of being blatantly objective for the sake of being negative how Khabib getting Michael Chandler next would be "something special". I'm just as big of a fan of MMA as you, I respect Michael Chandler and what he's done in Bellator.

Still doesn't make him this big deal does it? In what way? You might as well look at the top guy in OneFC and say he would be "something special" for Jon Jones. Chandler wasn't even the top guy in Bellator. I don't know....I get it from a "I hate everything that draws money" point of view.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    In the context of "something special" I fail to see outside of being blatantly objective for the sake of being negative how Khabib getting Michael Chandler next would be "something special". I'm just as big of a fan of MMA as you, I respect Michael Chandler and what he's done in Bellator.

Still doesn't make him this big deal does it? In what way? You might as well look at the top guy in OneFC and say he would be "something special" for Jon Jones. Chandler wasn't even the top guy in Bellator. I don't know....I get it from a "I hate everything that draws money" point of view.
    I'm not really using 'something special' as a definite qualifier. I don't think either Chandler or Masvidal qualify as all that special a matchup for Khabib anyway. And no, I'm also not really all that concerned with drawing money as long as it's other people's money.

But just looking at those two matchups I prefer Chander. He's a legit contender for a LW title vs a guy who's got a spotty record riding a nice little win streak (generously excluding his last defeat) that, combined with some well timed great interviews, catapulted his name onto the big stage. And I don't really dislike Masvidal either, I just think he's been completely overrated ever since the big nuclear knee out of nowhere. Meanwhile Michael Chandler has beaten some studs in the actual division while only suffering a handful of losses on his way up so I'm not gonna use Bellator against him. Plus his mix of power, wrestling, and all around grappling iq is a tremendous style matchup against Khabib. I think Khabib would just drag Jorge down and turn him into hamburger. Hell, I honestly think Chandler could control Masivdal.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really using 'something special' as a definite qualifier. I don't think either Chandler or Masvidal qualify as all that special a matchup for Khabib anyway. And no, I'm also not really all that concerned with drawing money as long as it's other people's money.

But just looking at those two matchups I prefer Chander. He's a legit contender for a LW title vs a guy who's got a spotty record riding a nice little win streak (generously excluding his last defeat) that, combined with some well timed great interviews, catapulted his name onto the big stage. And I don't really dislike Masvidal either, I just think he's been completely overrated ever since the big nuclear knee out of nowhere. Meanwhile Michael Chandler has beaten some studs in the actual division while only suffering a handful of losses on his way up so I'm not gonna use Bellator against him. Plus his mix of power, wrestling, and all around grappling iq is a tremendous style matchup against Khabib. I think Khabib would just drag Jorge down and turn him into hamburger. Hell, I honestly think Chandler could control Masivdal.
    Masvidal has always been a top fighter imo he just had a few big split decision losses.

In the world of prize fighting a guy like Masvidal is something special. He's been doing more than just a flying knee to Askren, who by your assessment of Chandler should fit right in as Masvidal getting a huge win. Masvidal's had bigger fights, bigger wins in the last 2 years than Chandler has his entire career in Bellator. You should "hold that against him" because it's where he's coming from.

So if you put this guy as the back up for the title fight with Khabib and Gaethje of all people, then his resume better be super sick. It's not like Gaethje came in and was gifted this opportunity for beating who? Benson? Eh. This is the same guy who couldn't handle Will Brooks not that long ago.

You're going to say Masvidal is overrated but Chandler isn't? I like Chandler, I don't think he's a top 10 LW I definitely don't see him as a realistic alternate for the title fight coming up but I'm not Dana White. Hell for all we know if it is Masvidal maybe it's a "superfight" like Anderson v. Forrest Griffin. If it's for the LW title, I don't know if Chandler's work in BELLATOR warrants an immediate title shot in the UFC. I don't see them as equals, the depth at LW in Bellator is nothing like the UFC.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Masvidal has always been a good fighter, I don't agree about top fighter though. He's had more than just a few split decision losses. But again, I don't care to knock him, I like him. I just think he hit the right wave at the right time on his big three fight win streak, and good for him. But I don't get personally worked up about him despite his current hype.

And I'm not trying to convince you to like Chandler. But I think style-wise and within the division itself he's a more apt opponent. I'm honestly not sure atm if you've seen him fight much. He's really really quite good.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Masvidal has always been a good fighter, I don't agree about top fighter though. He's had more than just a few split decision losses. But again, I don't care to knock him, I like him. I just think he hit the right wave at the right time on his big three fight win streak, and good for him. But I don't get personally worked up about him despite his current hype.

And I'm not trying to convince you to like Chandler. But I think style-wise and within the division itself he's a more apt opponent. I'm honestly not sure atm if you've seen him fight much. He's really really quite good.
    Oh dude he is good. I never once said he wasn't. I did say I don't see how he would be the back up for a title fight of the magnitude of Khabib v. Gaethje based on the 10-15 fights I've seen of his. In Bellator. At 155 the depth is definitely above and beyond Bellator. I've made plenty of posts where I've been adamant that just because you were in Bellator, even a top guy, doesn't mean you suck or anything like that.

But when you're talking about a guy who's resume isn't the greatest. Bellator being on Spike was a bonus for me, hated when they were on MTV2 because you never got to see them. I've seen plenty of Chandler over the last 9-10 years going back to even before choked out Eddie. A guy going 5 rounds with Bret Primus isn't exactly someone I'm thinking could take Khabib. The UFC must see something in him to give him this kind of spot.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Khabib/Masvidal as kind of a one-off event just doesn't do as much for me as watching Khabib continue trying to absolutely wipe clean all of the very best of one division.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Khabib/Masvidal as kind of a one-off event just doesn't do as much for me as watching Khabib continue trying to absolutely wipe clean all of the very best of one division.
    Oh I know. You've made it clear over the years that the only time you see value in big fights are if the rankings make sense. If Conor McGregor can bring a million new fans to the sport it's not worth it if he's not ranked appropriately.

Khabib v. Chandler isn't something special in comparison to Masvidal. It just isn't no matter how you slice it man.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I'm not necessarily concerned with bringing in new fans, particularly those only interested in one-off marquee event fights. Nothing terribly wrong with those either, but it was a question of choosing between the two.

And I slice it like I did from the original statement onward, by my personal preference, man.
    Last edited by Percussion; October 3rd, 2020 at 1:34 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holm and GDR basically held serve and insured Nunes has no interesting fights on the horizon. At this point I kind of expect her to retire after beating Megan Anderson, with Shevchenko moving back up and facing maybe the winner of a Holm/GDR rematch for the vacant belt. Mad the contrast between 115 and the other women's divisions, nothing on the horizon for either Shevchenko or Nunes. It's like when Anderson had rushed through Franklin, Hendo and Marquardt within a year and was dossing about with Cote and Leites until a real challenge broke through.

Carlos Condit back in the win column. All for a Robbie Lawler rematch after Robbie embarrasses Mike Perry next month. That's the fight to make, and a proper use of beloved veterans - I don't need to see guys like that look lethargic in UD defeats against faster but dull up and comers.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holm and GDR basically held serve and insured Nunes has no interesting fights on the horizon. At this point I kind of expect her to retire after beating Megan Anderson, with Shevchenko moving back up and facing maybe the winner of a Holm/GDR rematch for the vacant belt. Mad the contrast between 115 and the other women's divisions, nothing on the horizon for either Shevchenko or Nunes. It's like when Anderson had rushed through Franklin, Hendo and Marquardt within a year and was dossing about with Cote and Leites until a real challenge broke through.

Carlos Condit back in the win column. All for a Robbie Lawler rematch after Robbie embarrasses Mike Perry next month. That's the fight to make, and a proper use of beloved veterans - I don't need to see guys like that look lethargic in UD defeats against faster but dull up and comers.
    The only interesting fight for Nunes IMHO is a rematch against Cyborg, which will never happen. So she might as well retire. Nothing else to prove honestly.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I wouldn't mind a trilogy fight with Shevchenko, second fight should've be a win for Bullet anyway, or at the very least a draw. A third "champ vs. champ" fight could possible drum up some interest even though Amanda is (officially) 2-0, especially with Shevchenko being so dominant (5-0) since the Nunes fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind a trilogy fight with Shevchenko, second fight should've be a win for Bullet anyway, or at the very least a draw. A third "champ vs. champ" fight could possible drum up some interest even though Amanda is (officially) 2-0, especially with Shevchenko being so dominant (5-0) since the Nunes fight.
    Hey, 3 times a charm, worked for Rampage lol.

It is a tough fight to sell though especially outside the super hardcore fan base that could break down a reason behind having a 3rd fight i.e. the previous 2 were close, with 1 I truly believe Nunes lost. But "almost winning" doesn't necessarily translate well, especially when we're talking about WMMA. Most of the audience is still not sold on anyone beyond Ronda Rousey.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Leon Edwards has no interest in fighting Wonderboy. His reasoning was something about Wonderboy losing his last fight to Pettis, which we know wasn't his last fight. His last fight was pure domination against someone who wasn't battle torn past their prime like RDA the gatekeeper.

Leon is ranked #3, Wonderboy is ranked #5. Leon has 1 top 10 win in his career, the gatekeeper RDA, over a year ago. I think someone said this dude needs to start fighting or wind up like Yair because he's turned down quite a few fights. He's not getting the winner of Usman-Burns. He's not getting Jorge Masvidal. He's not getting Colby.

I respect that he is on an 8-fight winning streak, but against who? I think he squeaked by Gunnar Nelson and then another decision against RDA....If he beats Wonderboy that's a huge win for Leon. I just don't want to see a good fighter like him simply be known for the rest of his career as the 3 piece and a soda guy lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rate Leon, but yeah he needs to fight. Masvidal and Covington seem destined to fight, and Burns earned the shot against Usman. So Burns can fight either Wonderboy or a completely stone cold Tyron Woodley. I guess the latter may be the bigger name, but the Wonderboy fight would have greater relevance. Plus, Wonderboy actually tries to fight unlike 2020 Tyron. Fight Wonderboy, beat him, then you've earned the Usman vs. Burns winner, knocked the ring rust off and boosted your name value in one sitting. No brainer.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Usman/Burns was delayed til 2021 because Usman needed more time.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rate Leon, but yeah he needs to fight. Masvidal and Covington seem destined to fight, and Burns earned the shot against Usman. So Burns can fight either Wonderboy or a completely stone cold Tyron Woodley. I guess the latter may be the bigger name, but the Wonderboy fight would have greater relevance. Plus, Wonderboy actually tries to fight unlike 2020 Tyron. Fight Wonderboy, beat him, then you've earned the Usman vs. Burns winner, knocked the ring rust off and boosted your name value in one sitting. No brainer.
    What I want to know is when did everyone start thinking they have enough clout to decide who and when they fight? Seriously, who is Leon Edwards to be turning down fights? I can't imagine the UFC haven't offered him a single fight since July 2019.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Maybe Edwards should just accept that he is Jon Fitch and will eventually get a title shot if he keeps winning and there are no other more exciting, money generating challengers around. Fitch had to win eight straight (4 finishers, 4 decisions) and while Edwards is currently also on an eight-fight win streak he has 6 decisions and 2 finishes, also like Fitch he isn't the most interesting or exciting personality. Dan Hardy got a title fight against GSP after winning just four fights, 3 decision and one finish (I had him losing to Gono though) but he was considered colorful, exciting and brash. Jon Jones, Conor, Masvidal and some others can some times strong-arm Dana into more money or changing match-making, Leon Edwards is not in their stratosphere and should maybe just stfu and keep winning.

Edwards almost caught lightning in a bottle with the three-piece-and-a-soda altercation with Masvidal but nothing came of it. Can't remember exactly what happened, did Edwards or Jorge decline the fight? Masvidal beat Till in the main event and Edwards beat Gunnar Nelson in the co-main that night, so I'm guessing they were fairly close in the rankings at the time?
    Last edited by OD50; October 6th, 2020 at 7:24 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Edwards should just accept that he is Jon Fitch and will eventually get a title shot if he keeps winning and there are no other more exciting, money generating challengers around. Fitch had to win eight straight (4 finishers, 4 decisions) and while Edwards is currently also on an eight-fight win streak he has 6 decisions and 2 finishes, also like Fitch he isn't the most interesting or exciting personality. Dan Hardy got a title fight against GSP after winning just four fights, 3 decision and one finish (I had him losing to Gono though) but he was considered colorful, exciting and brash. Jon Jones, Conor, Masvidal and some others can some times strong-arm Dana into more money or changing match-making, Leon Edwards is not in their stratosphere and should maybe just stfu and keep winning.

Edwards almost caught lightning in a bottle with the three-piece-and-a-soda altercation with Masvidal but nothing came of it. Can't remember exactly what happened, did Edwards or Jorge decline the fight? Masvidal beat Till in the main event and Edwards beat Gunnar Nelson in the co-main that night, so I'm guessing they were fairly close in the rankings at the time?
    Yeah I'm not sure what happened. I mean, I probably saw one Leon Edwards fight prior to that incident and it wasn't memorable obviously lol. Masvidal wasn't a household name but he's far from a nobody, and honestly he beat a much higher ranked fighter than Leon. Masvidal, since the Cerrone fight and probably before, made it clear he wasn't necessarily about the championship but the money fights. I mean, he went from beating the top 2 guys that weren't wearing the belt to fighting Nate Diaz for a makeshift title lol. Which everyone knows that fight only happened because Usman turned down the fight against Jorge at MSG so they had to scramble and they called The Rock.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what's the bigger fight to make?

Jones v. Izzy or Jones v. top 5 HW? Jon isn't getting Stipe unless something happens to Ngannou. I'll be honest, I'm not someone who gets wrapped up in twitter beef as a means to fight and while I think it would be a good fight, I think both could do something else. If Jon never announced he was vacating the title and moving to HW I would be 100% down. But now that he's FINALLY going to HW I would rather see that.

Let Izzy go the Anderson route and test his skills against someone in the top 20 @ LHW like when Anderson fought James Irvin. Hell, give him a top 5 LHW like when Andy fought Griffin who had just lost the title. I would be down for something like Izzy v. Glover, Izzy v. Rumble Johnson lol.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Meanwhile Jones is probably in the neighborhood of 225-230 atm, while Adesanya probably has to wear his gloves to make MW.

It'd be epic for sure, but honestly I'm not sure where they meet in the middle weight-wise.

I'd rather see Jones fight a HW before getting a HW title fight.

I'd rather see Izzy fight a LHW before getting a shot at the LHW goat.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile Jones is probably in the neighborhood of 225-230 atm, while Adesanya probably has to wear his gloves to make MW.

It'd be epic for sure, but honestly I'm not sure where they meet in the middle weight-wise.

I'd rather see Jones fight a HW before getting a HW title fight.

I'd rather see Izzy fight a LHW before getting a shot at the LHW goat.
    I know Izzy has fought at HW in Kickboxing. If they did fight, it'd be at LHW you'd think.

But ultimately I'm with you. 100% agree. I'd rather see Izzy v. someone at LHW, even if it's not a top contender but at least someone worth a damn. Same with Jones....I wouldn't be super negative if he fought the winner of Stipe/Ngannou but me personally I would like to see him against a top 5-10 guy first.

Totally get why they would give him a title shot, especially if Stipe won as it'd be arguably the GOAT HW v. the GOAT LHW. But I'd like to see Jones against Hot Balls Lewis or someone in that top 5-7 range.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Izzy still weighed around 185 for that HW kickboxing tourney..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Izzy still weighed around 185 for that HW kickboxing tourney..

Oh shit my bad lol. I guess I shouldn't take "Heavyweight" as UFC Heavyweight....Although UFC HW=207lbs so yeah.....I'd say they should fight at LHW because that's really the only option for Jones imo. 10 years MAYBE he could make 195-200 but yeah Izzy is going to need to keep juicing up or whatever the fuck he's doing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the ideal scenario would be Izzy eventually moving up to 205 and winning that belt, Jones beats Miocic, then moves back down to fight Adesanya for that belt. In terms of hype anyway. I want Jones flattened by Stipe or Ngannou next preferably.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the ideal scenario would be Izzy eventually moving up to 205 and winning that belt, Jones beats Miocic, then moves back down to fight Adesanya for that belt. In terms of hype anyway. I want Jones flattened by Stipe or Ngannou next preferably.
    lol why so negative toward Jones????

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So Poirier vs McGregor II in either Nov or Dec it seems then?

Hope this comes to fruition as it feels like a great fight at just the right time for both men, and the division.

And after 254 they can put together Ferguson vs Chandler in his debut and the top of the division will be in some kind of order.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Dustin's going to open a boxing/mma gym with the money where the only tuition is good grades.
    Last edited by Bert; October 8th, 2020 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's to hoping it's on my birthday 12/12. The last UFC that was on my birthday was McGregor v. Aldo/Weidman v. Rockhold double main event. What a great card.

2 great fighters, Poirier is one of my favorites of all time. Their first fight was forever ago in my mind so who knows how it might go.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could actually happen considering Usman vs. Burns is off that card. They're in a weird predicament now where 4 of their top maybe 6 draws aren't champions, so they're just going to have to suck it up and put title fights underneath them.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could actually happen considering Usman vs. Burns is off that card. They're in a weird predicament now where 4 of their top maybe 6 draws aren't champions, so they're just going to have to suck it up and put title fights underneath them.
    Or just not put a title fight on the card at all. Absolutely no reason a title should be on every UFC card, even just the numbered events. Some of the best shows ever didn't have a title on the line.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So RDA out of 254 vs Makhachev with a positive covid test.

Islam calling out Michael Chandler to be the replacement. He's also calling out Dan Hooker or Charles Oliveira in a hail mary attempt to stay on the card.

His manager Abdelaziz is calling out Tony Ferguson as well.

Hope someone steps up to the plate.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to just come to grips with the fact that I've slowly turned into a casual MMA fan over the last 2 years. Going over this guy's record, because I can't remember him at all, and I'm like damn, I don't even remember a guy knocking out Tibau of all people in a minute. Just one of those situations where there are so many fighters, so many cards, I can't retain it all.

I'm just curious if this guy warrants a shot against people like Ferguson, Chandler, etc because all those names are top 5-6 in the division and this cat is ranked #11. I definitely don't see Tony or Chandler taking the fight especially if Chandler is on stand by for Khabib v. Gaethje.

I'm sure Ali will say something stupid like Tony Ferguson is ducking this guy lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chandler should take it. He should be on the card given he's the reserve, he's going to Abu Dhabi and making weight to fight, why not fight? Knowing he'll be fighting would be good psychologically if he does have to fill in too.

On the non-title fight card end, it's just that there's 12 of them, so with any luck between 24 and 30 title fights a year. For me I'd be putting everything below 145, men and women, other than Nunes on free TV until they build names, but that's not how they run things. So with 12 PPV's a year, there is seldom space for a card without a title fight. If it were me though, I'd be running Masvidal vs. Colby on PPV say, and Yan vs. Sterling on ESPN the week before or something.

Couple of good fights tomorrow night. It's actually a decent prospect card really, as a few of the guys on the undercard have shown some good potential like Tom Aspinall and Zalal. Main event is a barnburner though, Sandhagen's pressure and durability vs. Moraes' violence. It's a fight of two halves really, isn't it. I see no way Sandhagen wins if it finishes inside 2 and a half rounds, likewise I see no way Moraes takes it if it goes any longer. Maybe that will come back to haunt me. I'm leaning Moraes taking it violently inside a round, Sandhagen gets hit too much early and while he's durable, I'm not so sure he wants a firefight with Moraes. Looking forward to Barboza's second stab at featherweight too, I think he can make a run and honestly should probably have had his hand raised the last 2 fights. Mr. Finland is a good opponent but Edson should handle him. Think both fights will be leg kick clinics.
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; October 9th, 2020 at 3:14 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chandler should take it. He should be on the card given he's the reserve, he's going to Abu Dhabi and making weight to fight, why not fight? Knowing he'll be fighting would be good psychologically if he does have to fill in too.

On the non-title fight card end, it's just that there's 12 of them, so with any luck between 24 and 30 title fights a year. For me I'd be putting everything below 145, men and women, other than Nunes on free TV until they build names, but that's not how they run things. So with 12 PPV's a year, there is seldom space for a card without a title fight. If it were me though, I'd be running Masvidal vs. Colby on PPV say, and Yan vs. Sterling on ESPN the week before or something.
    But then what do you do with Mak if Chandler has to fill in for Khabib or Justin due to failed weight or something that happens just a few days prior to the fight? He'd be left off the card in general.

He's in a deep enough division to where they can probably snag someone who isn't a top 5 guy or the reserve for the LW title fight to fill in. These guys that are struggling due to the pandemic, there should be a pretty long list of guys that are ready to scrap. This is another high risk low reward fight for guys like Chandler, Ferguson, etc.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You bounce him off the card I guess. He's bounced anyway at this point. Most likely is Dariush but given he missed weight last time maybe a short notice gig wouldn't be smart. Then there's Dober (big 155 too), CDR, Do Bronx and at a push Ragin Al. If they did the Chandler fight and Chandler stepped up to the main event, they'd just reschedule Mak and RDA for later in the year and pay him his show money.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    CDR and Dober had their fight rescheduled to November that's still good to go.

But there's all the guys that have been mentioned here or called out specifically. Felder's not booked at the moment either.

Surely someone.. maybe..

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Genuinely don't like to nitpick ref decisions, but I thought Moraes deserved at least a bit more benefit of the doubt than that.

It wasn't 'criminal', not sure it was even a 'robbery', and the result may regardless have just turned out as it did, but I feel like it was simply disagreeable. And in that way just a damn shame.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seemed a touch early, wasn’t knocked out (no heavy landing and rolled with it) and wasn’t given the opportunity to grab for anything on the ground, but probably wouldn’t have been any different. Some great finishes though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very impressed by Sandhagen. One of those performances where you wonder whether that Sterling result was an anomaly and just a perfect combination of Sandhagen overconfidence in his ground defense mixed with a surprising fast start from Aljimain. He's really good. Moraes is an excellent fighter and it was never competitive. I like the call out too, Dillashaw and Edgar are both great options for him and you'd think likely too, with the other probably fighting Cruz. For me, despite Dillashaw being a cheating bastard, he's the best 135er in UFC history (Cruz trumping him overall mind), so beating him would be a great scalp. And I want Edgar vs. Cruz, or even Aldo vs. Cruz. It's an excellent division though, plenty of talent.

That knockout by Buckley was outrageous. Comfortably the best of the year, context will determine it's all time ranking as he'll need to kick on from here, but what a finish.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it's fresh many will consider it one of the best. I definitely think it'll wind up being one of the best. It definitely deserves highlight reel status ala Yves-Punk or Edson-Etim.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was reading Khabib talking about how he turned down coaching TUF against Conor saying "not even for $5 billion"

Honestly, I'm so out of the loop with TUF A-I didn't know they still did it and B-I didn't know they still did it lol.

I think TUF has for sure run it's course. After that live edition I was just like, meh. Since season 10 I haven't liked many.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zero desire to see this happen before Jan gets a few defenses under his belt. The division needs rebuilt and unless Izzy is going to stay at 205, this fight needs to rest until the end of 2021.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Agreed. 205 is still pretty wide open and Jan should get a chance to hold his ground before any pseudo-super fights.

Izzy's pretty close to wiping out MW but there's still Cannonier/Whittaker on the horizon. Would be awfully impressive of him to take the challenge on once he's ready though. I don't think he could hold much more than about 195 or so while he'd be going up against dudes who walk around in the 215-230 range. Still don't like immediate title shots by and large. If he can beat a Rakic or a top 5 guy then so be it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. 205 is still pretty wide open and Jan should get a chance to hold his ground before any pseudo-super fights.

Izzy's pretty close to wiping out MW but there's still Cannonier/Whittaker on the horizon. Would be awfully impressive of him to take the challenge on once he's ready though. I don't think he could hold much more than about 195 or so while he'd be going up against dudes who walk around in the 215-230 range. Still don't like immediate title shots by and large. If he can beat a Rakic or a top 5 guy then so be it.
    Do you think it'll be hard to rebuild the LHW division after being one of the top divisions for pretty much the last 20 years? So many mega stars that transcended the UFC, plus the level of name value over the years if we're just talking the MMA world. When Pride was bought, LHW became insane with talent. The viewing process is everchanging and I honestly don't know anyone who watches UFC through ESPN.

I was just watching a video that reminded me that it was actually Rashad who was originally set to fight Shogun for the LHW title but Rashad got injured and it came down to the winner of Bader v. Jones. Imagine if Rashad never gets hurt. I think we'd still see Jones as the GOAT LHW, but maybe not as early.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I think there are several pieces there to work with and many more matchups to make to try and shake lose a star or two. I don't necessarily see any 'superstar' type characters in waiting though. You're sort of referencing a time when LHW was the glamour weight class full of savages and personalities. It was also when the sport was still in it's infancy. Now the fan base is a bit more skeptical and it takes more to transcend. Jones did it off of an unbelievable run. Conor off of big wins and a much much bigger personality. Ronda did off a great run and impeccable timing. Brock did it because Brock. GSP only barely did it and Anderson only barely did it, and they're both GOAT level. Izzy's on the fence. Khabib is close. Stipe has flirted with it. I think it's just harder to break through today compared to when we were star struck by every other flavor on the rise back then.

Also Jon Jones neutered the division. Reminds me a bit of when Jordan walked away from basketball. He just took every breath of air with him. It'll take more matchups and some great timing, and it still won't be that heyday level it once was, but we might get another big superstar out of it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there are several pieces there to work with and many more matchups to make to try and shake lose a star or two. I don't necessarily see any 'superstar' type characters in waiting though. You're sort of referencing a time when LHW was the glamour weight class full of savages and personalities. It was also when the sport was still in it's infancy. Now the fan base is a bit more skeptical and it takes more to transcend. Jones did it off of an unbelievable run. Conor off of big wins and a much much bigger personality. Ronda did off a great run and impeccable timing. Brock did it because Brock. GSP only barely did it and Anderson only barely did it, and they're both GOAT level. Izzy's on the fence. Khabib is close. Stipe has flirted with it. I think it's just harder to break through today compared to when we were star struck by every other flavor on the rise back then.

Also Jon Jones neutered the division. Reminds me a bit of when Jordan walked away from basketball. He just took every breath of air with him. It'll take more matchups and some great timing, and it still won't be that heyday level it once was, but we might get another big superstar out of it.
    Definitely agree on all points here.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jan has a good story for his first title defence. Either it's a rematch against the last man to beat him (Santos) or it'll be Glover bouncing back at 41 to become the legitimate #1 contender. I don't see the need to rush Israel into the title shot. The winner of Whittaker and Jared next weekend deserves a shot. Yes, he destroyed Rob last year, but Whittaker deserves a rematch if he's beaten 2 top 5 guys since that. Middleweight isn't bristling with contenders but The Joker will be legit if he beats Till. Might need 1 more win after over Romero maybe.

Looking forward to the main event tonight. Would love Zombie to get a crack at the title. I've said it before but Holloway, Kattar, Zabit, Yair, Zombie and Ortega is a monster division for action fights. Shame Volkanovski is a bit dull, as good as he is.

Jessica Andrade getting a win would set up one of the only fights I'm interested in for Shevchenko. Chookagian is a bore and got absolutely mauled, then the next in line is Lauren Murphy. Andrade is really good while being must watch TV so the division needs it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh KZ got worked pretty well in that fight. Definitely a tough, tough division. 145-170, these are my favorite divisions and I also feel they have the most depth and variety.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Khabib quickly summing up his feelings on Conor and just so happens to be in the direction of Stephen A Dumbass on ESPN..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've come to the realization I'm at a point in my life where I have to stop listening to fighters do interviews. The more and more Khabib talks, the less I like him. Not everything he says is trash but it really feels like a fight or two before Conor he basically became Russian Conor.

I'll be honest....I know it's possibly immature, but I just can't fuck with these guys anymore outside of the cage. Inside the cage I love Khabib. Fucking beast. Outside of it, lost a lot of respect for him, especially with the post-Conor fight bullshit. I think at the time I was pretty cool with it based on distaste for Dillon Danis, but then I realized wow, this was some ghetto shit. For a guy who acted like he was above all this nonsense he really embarrassed himself, the sport, and it's sad that his legacy will no doubt start with that incident and everything else will be an afterthought.

Khabib has just been saying stupid shit for a few years, and recently he's made ignorant statements about Dustin Poirier wanting to avenge a loss, slighting Tony Ferguson, downplaying Justin's ability. And it all sounds like Russian Conor to me.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Maybe I've just missed those comments. He's, barring the subject of Conor, come across as pretty respectful and polite in the interviews I've seen. He's had positive things to say about Poirier and Gaethje and pretty much unless an opponent tries to drag him into the mud just by and large won't go there himself. But like I said, I haven't seen all of his interviews and so I suppose I've missed those.

He definitely has an air of superiority, and given his level of success and now worldwide fame it's not all that unreasonable. And it usually comes from a calm and respectful place from what I've seen. And again, when it has to do with Conor is only when I've seen him 'take the gloves off', which is mostly fair given the direction Conor wanted, and almost always wants, to take the back and forth.

Idk, if you've got any links or anything I'd check em out.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I've just missed those comments. He's, barring the subject of Conor, come across as pretty respectful and polite in the interviews I've seen. He's had positive things to say about Poirier and Gaethje and pretty much unless an opponent tries to drag him into the mud just by and large won't go there himself. But like I said, I haven't seen all of his interviews and so I suppose I've missed those.

He definitely has an air of superiority, and given his level of success and now worldwide fame it's not all that unreasonable. And it usually comes from a calm and respectful place from what I've seen. And again, when it has to do with Conor is only when I've seen him 'take the gloves off', which is mostly fair given the direction Conor wanted, and almost always wants, to take the back and forth.

Idk, if you've got any links or anything I'd check em out.
    I will admit I could just be digesting his confidence as arrogance. I get it. Listen to Jon Jones talk. But then you listen to GSP or read something of Fedor when he was the man and you don't really hear that arrogance.

This is him talking about Poirier accepting the rematch against Conor:
    https://www.essentiallysports.com/mm...onor-mcgregor/

Here's him talking about Tony:

Again I'm sure I'm just reading too deep into it but it definitely feels like his mentality switched up the closer he got to fighting Conor. So I can see if you read or listen to his stuff and it doesn't come across as arrogance and disrespect. Could just be how he's trying to convey his feelings are lost in translation. I 1000% think Conor got to him and that might be why he really doesn't want to fuck with him. It brought out the absolute worst in a guy that was very quiet and respectful and he sunk to Conor's level, actually he was worse, way worse. Shit if he didn't put his hands on Artem the bus incident wouldn't have happened.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I just think he's painfully honest. But it's not shameless self-promotion. It's blunt answers to questions from media and such. He'll call Tony a great fighter and mean it, but also talk matter of factly that he's taken sooo much damage that he likely won't be the guy he once was ever again. This is not at all a radical opinion. And I don't think he'd ever say anything negative about a guy like Ferg if Ferg didn't shamelessly and cringingly spend all day unsolicited on twitter barking nonsense about Khabib, and frankly everyone else just to get a little rub.

The Dustin comment I think was lost in translation and used as clickbait. He was only referring to the weightcutting issue of taking a big fight at 170 in hopes of staying at the front of the line at 155. He's shown Poirier nothing but respect, and the article even tries to make up for the use of the headline by pointing this out repeatedly in the article.

I suppose I just see a guy who is blunt as can be to questions asked of him, but who doesn't go out of his way to disrespect anyone else. He'll tell you what he thinks positively about an opponent but also won't shy away from being critical where it matters. The difference between how he talks and how Conor does is that he's not jumping up and down for attention and he's not overly concerned with selling a fight. He'll just tell you what he actually thinks when asked.

I genuinely am stoked af for this Saturday. Toughest fight imaginable for both men. An all-timer.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Khabib was nothing but respectful to Gateje at the press conference. He put on Dustin's shirt after he beat him and was nothing but respectful then either. I don't see how he's like Connor at all.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just think he's painfully honest. But it's not shameless self-promotion. It's blunt answers to questions from media and such. He'll call Tony a great fighter and mean it, but also talk matter of factly that he's taken sooo much damage that he likely won't be the guy he once was ever again. This is not at all a radical opinion. And I don't think he'd ever say anything negative about a guy like Ferg if Ferg didn't shamelessly and cringingly spend all day unsolicited on twitter barking nonsense about Khabib, and frankly everyone else just to get a little rub.

The Dustin comment I think was lost in translation and used as clickbait. He was only referring to the weightcutting issue of taking a big fight at 170 in hopes of staying at the front of the line at 155. He's shown Poirier nothing but respect, and the article even tries to make up for the use of the headline by pointing this out repeatedly in the article.

I suppose I just see a guy who is blunt as can be to questions asked of him, but who doesn't go out of his way to disrespect anyone else. He'll tell you what he thinks positively about an opponent but also won't shy away from being critical where it matters. The difference between how he talks and how Conor does is that he's not jumping up and down for attention and he's not overly concerned with selling a fight. He'll just tell you what he actually thinks when asked.

I genuinely am stoked af for this Saturday. Toughest fight imaginable for both men. An all-timer.
    I definitely agree with the majority of what you're saying. I do think at times I just read into some of the comments and others he's just being an asshole. But a good asshole lol.

I'm definitely hyped for the show. I've been a fan of Gaethje since the WSOF days and he's been nothing short of phenomenal in the UFC. Khabib is a fantastic fighter who brings the same aura as Fedor where you just never knew, is this the fight? Is this where see the L? Or is this where the guy makes it clear he's the GOAT of 155.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Khabib was nothing but respectful to Gateje at the press conference. He put on Dustin's shirt after he beat him and was nothing but respectful then either. I don't see how he's like Connor at all.
    Oh yeah trust me I saw the respectful interaction it was dope. I'm not saying the guy is disrespectful all the time. I just think some of the stuff he says either gets lost in translation or his arrogance is leaking through more and more. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it makes me tune out and just focus on the fights. Like with Jon Jones, I love the man in the cage but when you listen to him never take responsibility or the weird shit he says when trash talking.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Leon got removed from the rankings.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderboy had no issue fighting him.........We've said this a few times about Leon but he's simply the guy who got served a 3 piece and a soda. 8 fight win streak, 1 good win=thinks he should be calling the shots. Look where it got him. Now he wants to fight Hazmat, fuck Wonderboy let's fight a dude with zero upside.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Is there anything at the moment stopping Edwards/Masvidal from settling their squabble?

Edwards gets his shot with a win, Masvidal gets an Usman rematch, with a legit camp and all that this time, with a win.. no?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    My goodness..

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

..this fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there anything at the moment stopping Edwards/Masvidal from settling their squabble?

Edwards gets his shot with a win, Masvidal gets an Usman rematch, with a legit camp and all that this time, with a win.. no?
    Masvidal isn't in it for rankings though. He made it clear back with the Cerrone win if not before that he's all about big money fights even if that means no title shot.

Right now he's supposedly set to face Colby who is ranked higher (especially now) than Leon and there's a bigger beef there apparently than some backstage squabble that happened almost 2 years.

And I'm not saying this is what YOU are saying but it's no doubt an argument being made.....When is Leon and the people who want to see him fight going to accept reality? The guy keeps harping on this winning streak like it's 8 killers. It was maybe 1 fringe top 10 veteran in RDA and that's it. He's riding on this "I won't fight Wonderboy he's ranked 1 spot lower than me" to "Let's fight Hazmat!"

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..this fight.
    I want to see the rematch. When you barely train MMA for 2 years and come back and dive in to someone on the level of Khabib, that takes balls.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Masvidal isn't in it for rankings though. He made it clear back with the Cerrone win if not before that he's all about big money fights even if that means no title shot.

Right now he's supposedly set to face Colby who is ranked higher (especially now) than Leon and there's a bigger beef there apparently than some backstage squabble that happened almost 2 years.

And I'm not saying this is what YOU are saying but it's no doubt an argument being made.....When is Leon and the people who want to see him fight going to accept reality? The guy keeps harping on this winning streak like it's 8 killers. It was maybe 1 fringe top 10 veteran in RDA and that's it. He's riding on this "I won't fight Wonderboy he's ranked 1 spot lower than me" to "Let's fight Hazmat!"
    Eh, I'm not really fussed at all about Edwards. I think he's a quality fighter and it's good for the division for him to be active, but it's his career to sit and think he's got leverage that he really doesn't. Was just looking at the rankings I wondering if a Mas/Leon fight would finally work. Forgot about the Jorge/Colby talk of late though. That's a good scrap for sure.

I want to see the rematch. When you barely train MMA for 2 years and come back and dive in to someone on the level of Khabib, that takes balls.
    I wouldn't be bothered by a rematch. I honestly don't think with all the activity in the world Conor could do anything to shake Khabib off of him, but some kind of puncher's chance and all that.

That fight isn't half as intriguing as tomorrow's main event, imo. Khabib/Gaethje match up so simplistically yet so perfectly. Their talents/attributes just dovetail together effortlessly when breaking this matchup down.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, I'm not really fussed at all about Edwards. I think he's a quality fighter and it's good for the division for him to be active, but it's his career to sit and think he's got leverage that he really doesn't. Was just looking at the rankings I wondering if a Mas/Leon fight would finally work. Forgot about the Jorge/Colby talk of late though. That's a good scrap for sure.

I wouldn't be bothered by a rematch. I honestly don't think with all the activity in the world Conor could do anything to shake Khabib off of him, but some kind of puncher's chance and all that.

That fight isn't half as intriguing as tomorrow's main event, imo. Khabib/Gaethje match up so simplistically yet so perfectly. Their talents/attributes just dovetail together effortlessly when breaking this matchup down.
    I get it from Leon's POV. He wants that Masvidal fight because he ultimately looked like a punk not only for talking shit for no reason but then he got stuck 2-3 times for his words. I also get why he wants guys ranked higher than him but he never really climbed the ranks. I mean shit right now he's ranked higher than Masvidal but I'm looking at the top 15 on UFC's website (I thought Leon was removed yet he's ranked #3?) and he's fought 2 guys in the top 15, RDA and Luque.

No Wonderboy, no Maia, no Woodley, Burns, Colby, Chiesa, etc.He fought Usman awhile ago and that's it. So he's turning down all these fights unless it's basically some dude on his way out like RDA or Woodley (cancelled fight in March) But damn he's sat out over a year injury free. Why? lol. Dude must be super wealthy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leon just needs to fight at this point. He's fading into irrelevance. Get a win before the end of year, quick turnaround against a contender then he's in a title fight next Summer with 2 wins and momentum behind him. Fight a Chiesa, then a Wonderboy or Burns/Woodley loser then he's there isn't he. Masvidal and Covington won't fight him when the fight between each other makes more money and has more relevance.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Khabib apparently about died weighing in lol. Imagine that. It must help him almost kill himself and then unleash the wrath the next night.

Interesting story about possibly shadiness though:

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/...4xUm6NzR1sIZGM

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Fighters step on a scale backstage to determine their actual weight before they go out for the 'official' on-stage weight in.

He wouldn't have gone on the scale on the stage unless he'd already known he wouldn't make weight and accepted his penalty, etc.

He damn sure took a beating with this cut though. And he's done this before so I imagine he has a gameplan to recharge and whatnot, but that still must never get easy and has to leave you less than absolutely 100% come fight time.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fighters step on a scale backstage to determine their actual weight before they go out for the 'official' on-stage weight in.

He wouldn't have gone on the scale on the stage unless he'd already known he wouldn't make weight and accepted his penalty, etc.

He damn sure took a beating with this cut though. And he's done this before so I imagine he has a gameplan to recharge and whatnot, but that still must never get easy and has to leave you less than absolutely 100% come fight time.
    All I'm going to say is if a year or so from now we get some hidden audio showing Khabib was in fact over ala the GSP-Nick Diaz debacle, I wouldn't be super shocked. Khabib has ruined fights in the past, this being as you said possibly the biggest test of his career....and with DW saying this fight will probably bring more views than the Khabib-McGregor fight, a lot to lose if he came over even half a pound.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    They probably have it on embedded like they've have with several fights before nowadays. No one steps on the scale on-stage without knowing what their actual weight is first. Why would they? There's also footage floating around of the 'official' on-stage scale being handled similarly for other guys making wieght to how it was there with Khabib.

Funny that you'd think Dolce of all people would know that. Don't know if it's intentional for some reason or gross incompetence that he posted that. Probably for attention, but that's cool too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They probably have it on embedded like they've have with several fights before nowadays. No one steps on the scale on-stage without knowing what their actual weight is first. Why would they? There's also footage floating around of the 'official' on-stage scale being handled similarly for other guys making wieght to how it was there with Khabib.

Funny that you'd think Dolce of all people would know that. Don't know if it's intentional for some reason or gross incompetence that he posted that. Probably for attention, but that's cool too.
    It was very interesting to say the least. I'm just saying, if you think back to that audio about GSP actually missing weight for the Diaz fight I'm just saying it wouldn't shock me if he weighed over 155 and they let it slide because of how big this fight is to the sport, the company, etc.

So while you question WHY would they....Why would they allow GSP to walk out there and lie about his weight knowing full well they told Diaz and his camp GSP actually missed weight? That was one of the biggest fights the UFC could make at that time, imagine if they had to scrap it or it became non-title? They weren't about to fuck that up.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    That's cool. The GSP/Diaz thing looked shady. There's lots of shady things in the fight game at times. We all understand that. Not sure that they're all connected though.

All I'm really pointing out is the difference between the scale that's already been read in the back, like Deron Winn himself has been pointing out all afternoon, and the scale on-stage - and that Khabib, like every other fighter, has already weighed themselves before going on-stage. Even other footage of the scales being handled exactly like this one was. Like it was already an accepted weight.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Awesome.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Nice, but a big step up for Chimaev. Too soon?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or fight Chimaev and you’ve got to think that he’s negotiated guaranteed title fight if he wins, otherwise what is he doing?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Nice, but a big step up for Chimaev. Too soon?
    Perhaps, but it feels borderline no-lose.

If wins then look where he's at on the most meteoric rise since Lesnar? If he doesn't then it's not entirely unexpected and kudos for putting his balls on the table.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Scary impressive how Cannonier has transformed his body over time..

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Legend shit..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not surprised Khabib has called it quits. He was looking at 2 more fights anyway before his dad died, that just brought it forward one. He doesn't need to fight anymore, and he'll go down as the best top position grappler in MMA history for my money. It's a shame he's not going to have 1 more, breaking the lightweight defence's record and running it to 30-0, but that's just numbers at this point. Looking likely that he'll have the 2 biggest PPV's in UFC history to this point, finishes in all 3 title defences, barely lost a round his entire career, most takedowns in a single fight way back when too. I think the resume is a bit shallow to talk about GOAT (McGregor, Poirier, Gaethje, Barboza and RDA certainly falls behind GSP and Jones' body of work at least), but he might be the most unbeatable fighter we've seen. Like Jones, his potential weaknesses aren't (chin, leg kicks) as he's just a fucking rock solid human being. I guess Conor and Poirier fight for the vacant title now, with maybe Gaethje and Chandler fighting for the next and Tony rebuilding against Olivera. The bonus of Khabib retiring? All those fights are potential bangers.

Whittaker is such a good fighter, and a great bloke. But there's no steam in that Adesanya rematch because of it. I hope he gets another shot, but Israel might just dart straight to light heavyweight now. Jared fought well but was a bit one dimensional. Liked his urgency when he knew he was down, especially after being hurt bad. True fighters spirit.

Other performance of note I felt was Ankalaev. He's a second away from being undefeated, and he's not really lost a second of any other fight too. Obviously needs a step up now, unless they run the Craig fight back (if he beats Shogun) so he can avenge that before challenging a top 5 guy. Potential challenger there.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Would like to have seen a quick 4-man eliminator between Ferg, Poirier, Conor, and Chandler to set up his final fight while he takes a minute in the meantime to rest and recharge before the big 30-0 finale. But that's fandom stuff as he's been through it all now and has literally left all meaning to what he's worked for either in the cage (his accomplishments/victories) or in his memory (his father).

I think it's fair to list him as the couple of accolades he seemed to strive for, at least vocally, the most. Retiring as the number 1 overall p4p and the most dominant fighter in UFC history.

He created a workable gameplan for how to be an unstoppable monster and he managed to somehow actually perfect it against the best available to him. That should be his legacy. The kind of talent/gym work/mindset masterpiece that every single fighter dreams of.

To see Gaethje go from how he looked against Ferg to what we saw tonight was in itself a quick visual testament to Khabib's dominance. But that can by and large be said for all of his opponents. He created and maintained that Tyson/Fedor aura and said goodbye at just the right time to leave with it forever intact.

Kinda curious where those gloves went?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Also think it's interesting to note how Khabib never went for any ground strikes after he cut through Gaethje's ground defense like a hot knife through butter and created ample opportunity to begin mauling him as per usual.

But he has utmost respect for Justin. Sub attempts only from top mount.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most impressive is how he turned his dominance into finishes on the final stretch of his career. He was struggling to put away guys like Pat Healy and Abel Trujillo (in fact didn't), but he clearly improved to the point where he was fighting guys who were ranked in the top 15 P4P back-to-back-to-back, dominating and then submitting them. It's a shame we never got the unorthodox prime Tony Ferguson against Khabib, but it wasn't to be. I think pre-knee injury it's interesting, but any point after that (early 2018?) then Khabib dominates. I think you're essentially gambling on somebody landing a Hail Mary for Khabib to lose, and with Tony's striking more accumulative in damage I think it's asking a bit much for him to have more than say a 10% chance of finding something from the bottom. And that's probably being optimistic. I wish at some point he was actually challenged, but that's a testament to his greatness.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Excellent point about the finishes. I think the adjustment from Russian regional event to UFC MMA showcase was as much as anything there. Even as a bambi-legged youngster pro he was just sort of controlling dudes without sinking a finishing angle at them. But then he got comfortable. And on the level of global mega promotion he just maintained his control throughout before getting familiar enough to find that kill switch angle as well. Now he's just a literal juggernaut.

The Ferguson fight really stands out as the only stone left unturned in his career, and it's a bit of a shame because of that peculiar style matchup that Tony offered. I agree that the odds still weren't awesome for Tony to take it, but there were certainly some kind of odds, and nonetheless it just would've been good for the sport to watch the work between the two of them tangled up. Dagestani monster top control vs 10th Planet black belt nutjob ... but ah well.

The point about him being challenged (or not) is legit. Reminds of Roy Jones. Was he so head and shoulders above everyone or were his prime contemporaries collectively below par. I lean towards just giving credit where it's due. Particularly in that kid of fashion.

Pretty cool also that the finish of his first ever fight was exactly the same as the finish of his last.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's odd in that he might have actually struggled more in the lightweight division 10 years ago. That's not saying he doesn't steamroll everybody back then, but there were stronger wrestlers - Maynard, Edgar and Henderson in particular - and BJ Penn had at the time superb takedown defence. Nate Diaz and Anthony Pettis in their primes with their bottom game BJJ. He predominantly has fought strikers throughout his career. I think he still takes down and smashes any man that has ever been able to make 155 pounds, but there are still enough questions. Imagine him and 2010 Aldo for example, with those leg kicks, speed and takedown defence. But there's nobody around today to test him as far as I can see. Brian Ortega might have the skillset to do it but perhaps not the size. That's a fight I'd love to see though.