Results 9,701 to 9,800 of 13672

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Tyron Woodley: I think Nate Diaz will be next

"I think that fight will happen," said Woodley, who is regaining his range of motion this week. "I think it will happen this year. I think it's way more likely than people realize. There are conversations about Nate and I fighting in July. The UFC has offered Nate that fight. They just have to make it worth his while.

"I think I'll fight Nate this year, and I think it will be my return to the Octagon. If I had to bet the house on it, that's my next opponent."
    Ab. surd.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will watch it cause I watch as much UFC as possible but I'm not interested in Woodley/Diaz whatsoever.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woodley crushes Diaz. Nate's body type is just susceptible for a good wrestler to get at those legs and take him down at will. That's not even taking into account Woodley's surely 15lb weight advantage and that he hits like a truck when he commits to his shots. I get that we're in this mythical "money fight" era but come on - if Nate EARNS it, it makes even more money. Yes, it would bump a run of the mill Woodley defence by at least 300k buys, but putting Nate against a contender would do similar, and if he were to somehow beat a Lawler or Masvidal at bare minimum, he'd at least deserve it being 3-1 in his last 3, coming off a victory, and having beaten a couple of former world champions in that run should it be Lawler he'd fight.

I'd still favour running Conor/Diaz 3 and having the winner challenge for the lightweight title. If you want to make a money fight, at least that without a title has legitimacy and both are in the same weight class. Plus, again, if Conor gets back on the horse with a win in a mega fight like that, him against Khabib or Ferguson becomes gigantic.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious as to whether Nate is even a draw on his own. I'd actually be surprised if a Woodley-Diaz main event without a stacked undercard would even crack 300k buys. That's actually not a bad buyrate, pretty average for most UFC ppvs it seems, that 3-400k range.

This all some WWE shit. They're hoping Nate wins. Then they can make the ultimate trilogy fight with Nate having 1 belt, Conor having 2 belts (well none technically since he's been stripped of both).

But I will say this, if it keeps that fuckin poser Covington out of the title fight then I'll take Woodley v. Matt Hughes for fuck's sake.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are early discussions ongoing regarding a CM Punk vs Mike Jackson fight at UFC 225 in Chicago. Mike Jackson, you'll recall, is the guy who lost to Mickey Gall at Fight Night 82 in February of 2016.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I admit to having a morbid curiosity with wanting to watch Punk fight again. But I also really don't like the idea of him on another ppv main card.

I know it'll never happen, but maybe put him on a fight pass early prelim as both a way to sell his remaining fans on fight pass and not make a joke of the event itself.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Great, another Invicta BW for Cyborg to ravage..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was about the best they could do on short notice. The rest of the champions are booked or injured. Don't know what the situation with Megan Anderson is though, why has she not had a fight to set her up as challenger? Injury?

Glad they've kept Edgar on the card against Ortega. Good fight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Well, I'm not too upset honestly, it's always kind of fun seeing Cyborg club somebody.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Women's 145 is so fresh to the casual and hardcore that it's going to be probably another year or 2 before it starts to really take shape. I see it going the route of 125 or the early days of 135/145 for men. 125 still struggles with the most dominant champion on the roster in their division. 135 and 145 barely draw themselves but outside of that aspect, the divisions are deep and have very good fighters.

I want to see Cindy Dandois v. Cyborg but Dandois' striking is so bad I don't know if the UFC are going to give us that fight. Her ground game is sick, she's fucking beautiful, she even teaches kids in Belgium when she's not fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    I admit to having a morbid curiosity with wanting to watch Punk fight again. But I also really don't like the idea of him on another ppv main card.

I know it'll never happen, but maybe put him on a fight pass early prelim as both a way to sell his remaining fans on fight pass and not make a joke of the event itself.
    Did you think his placement on the last card he was on made the event a joke? I don't. But I'm also a big Pride geek so I love when MMA promotions dabble in this "freak show" type stuff. There are so many lackluster fighters in the UFC that are skilled that nobody gives 2 shits about that will never be anything and will never make the UFC money....At least Punk will get the UFC some money.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Did you think his placement on the last card he was on made the event a joke? I don't. But I'm also a big Pride geek so I love when MMA promotions dabble in this "freak show" type stuff. There are so many lackluster fighters in the UFC that are skilled that nobody gives 2 shits about that will never be anything and will never make the UFC money....At least Punk will get the UFC some money.
    I knew when wrote that that someone may pick that wording apart, and I was just too lazy to choose more accurately. No, I don't honestly think it made the whole event a joke. But I do believe it does more harm than good to continually promote a no talent celebrity as a main card attraction.

I loved pride and their fun freak show fights. I just don't think it's a sustainable business/sport model. Even as great as boxing once was it faded once it became corrupted. I'd hate to see that for mma in the states is all.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew when wrote that that someone may pick that wording apart, and I was just too lazy to choose more accurately. No, I don't honestly think it made the whole event a joke. But I do believe it does more harm than good to continually promote a no talent celebrity as a main card attraction.

I loved pride and their fun freak show fights. I just don't think it's a sustainable business/sport model. Even as great as boxing once was it faded once it became corrupted. I'd hate to see that for mma in the states is all.
    Corruption and "freak show" fights are not the same thing though. Mayweather/McGregor did huge numbers, right? Did it to anything to the sport of boxing? Of course not. If it was such a bad thing for the sport why did so many people tune in? It's the 2nd most watched boxing ppv of all time.

I think if you base your entire business model around fights like CM Punk v. Mickey Gall or McGregor v. Nate Diaz, you will for one not be presenting a traditional product. It'd be damn near impossible to create new stars. And two, we don't really see fights like this all the time so it's nowhere near the norm and it won't ever be the norm for the reason I gave prior.

You and I are really on the same page about wanting to see the top contenders get the title shots, we're not fans of fights being made like Woodley v. Diaz. Or clogging up divisions so McGregor can jerk off to Mayweather pretending he's going to fight in the cage. But for me, I can handle a CM Punk v. Mike Jackson fight. I can handle James Toney v. Randy Couture. Or over in Bellator I can get down with Shamrock v. Gracie or Kimbo v. Dada 5000 or Strikeforce having Herschel Walker fight. Or take it a step further and Brock Lesnar coming in with 1 pro MMA fight and by his 3rd UFC fight he was champion.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Corruption and "freak show" fights are not the same thing though. Mayweather/McGregor did huge numbers, right? Did it to anything to the sport of boxing? Of course not. If it was such a bad thing for the sport why did so many people tune in? It's the 2nd most watched boxing ppv of all time.
    Corrupting the integrity of the actual sporting aspect though.

And I'm surprised you'd use people tuning in as a necessary positive when you've been so adamant in the past about the negatives of celebrity culture, which is exactly the essence of freak show fights.

I think if you base your entire business model around fights like CM Punk v. Mickey Gall or McGregor v. Nate Diaz, you will for one not be presenting a traditional product. It'd be damn near impossible to create new stars. And two, we don't really see fights like this all the time so it's nowhere near the norm and it won't ever be the norm for the reason I gave prior.
    It doesn't take much of a spark to start a flame. And I don't trust WME whatsoever to know the difference.

You and I are really on the same page about wanting to see the top contenders get the title shots, we're not fans of fights being made like Woodley v. Diaz. Or clogging up divisions so McGregor can jerk off to Mayweather pretending he's going to fight in the cage. But for me, I can handle a CM Punk v. Mike Jackson fight. I can handle James Toney v. Randy Couture. Or over in Bellator I can get down with Shamrock v. Gracie or Kimbo v. Dada 5000 or Strikeforce having Herschel Walker fight. Or take it a step further and Brock Lesnar coming in with 1 pro MMA fight and by his 3rd UFC fight he was champion.
    I didn't say they can't flat out have those fights. Just they should have their proper place. And like I originally said quite clearly, I'd prefer if Punk/Jackson weren't on the main card is all.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corrupting the integrity of the actual sporting aspect though.

And I'm surprised you'd use people tuning in as a necessary positive when you've been so adamant in the past about the negatives of celebrity culture, which is exactly the essence of freak show fights.

It doesn't take much of a spark to start a flame. And I don't trust WME whatsoever to know the difference.

I didn't say they can't flat out have those fights. Just they should have their proper place. And like I originally said quite clearly, I'd prefer if Punk/Jackson weren't on the main card is all.
    But is it corrupting the integrity? There's no blueprint for MMA. And for boxing, the McGregor-Mayweather wasn't anything more than a glorified exhibition. McGregor wasn't going to be challenging for any championships if he won, nobody moved up or down in rankings. And I didn't really see any issue but that's because my days of being a boxing purist died when I was like 17 lol.

I agree on the WME part. You never know. But again, when you think about how many "absurd" fights that were made (GSP v. Bisping, Nate v. McGregor 2, McGregor v. really anyone since Aldo lol), few and far between and nothing is showing me it's going to be the norm for a long, long time.

CM Punk on the main card is something I can respect your opinion on for sure. 2 ways to look at it: CM Punk isn't really wanting to be a legit MMA fighter. So use whatever star power he may have left and help EVERYONE get more money. Or the other way and that's if Punk actually wants to be legit, a spot on the prelims would be ideal. But we all know why he's on a ppv main card. More people will buy the show, putting more eyes on undiscovered or lesser known talent. That's not going to happen with Punk as the curtain jerker on Fight Pass.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think McGregor vs. Mayweather was actually a success for boxing in terms of business. Even though it was a farcical match-up, and the MayPac fight was a damp squib too; both put eyeballs on the sport where you would have people staying for other contests between more evenly matched competitors like GGG/Golovkin. I think it's also kicked all the promoter's up the arse a bit in terms of dragging their heels and leaving money fights on the table, as more top fights seem to be getting made particularly after MayPac. I think they saw how Arum and Mayweather, and HBO and Showtime, worked together to get a deal done and things seem more fluid now.

This might be the year of the unification in boxing too. Obviously politics will split the belts apart again, but there's a chance every division middleweight and above might have an undisputed champion. Consesus is Joshua/Parker winner fights Wilder/Ortiz winner, the cruiserweight unification fight is already made for May, Kovalev seems to be lining up unifying light heavyweight, super middle is still muddled, and middleweight should see GGG/Canelo winner unify with Saunders. Good time to be a boxing fan.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    221 right around the corner and surprised not really a peep about it yet. I get it as the overall card isn't huge and the main event is a reshuffle, but it's still a really popping (interim) title match with Hunt-o on the undercard and HW prospect Tai Tuivasa as well.

Rockhold/Romero is a pick 'em if I've ever seen one. Leaning Rockhold though as I just think he has one or two more ways to dictate the fight. Really looking forward anyway.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just hope that if Rockhold wins he doesn't break his leg or something in training for his next fight. I fucking hate his camp. Too many times have we been robbed of top tier fighters like Cain and Luke and others because they can't train for shit without killing each other. Cursed? Maybe.

I'd like to see Rockhold and I'd like to see him and Weidman throw down again. But I'm sure Whitaker is obviously next in line.

Someone refresh my memory....Is Whitaker now the official champ? I just wasn't sure if they made an announcement.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Whittaker is the MW champion.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never really dabbled into Whittaker and looking at his record damn he's had some big wins. Forgot about the Jacare fight.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whittaker was able to set himself apart in the MW division when everyone else was losing. His streak is impressive

its a shame he is out. hope he is the same when he returns

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad thing is, you could show me his picture and I wouldn't even know he is. I mean right now if you showed me I would know because I was just on his wiki page but sadly he's one of those guys who are coming up in a time where I don't have the time or the funds to keep up with all 5,000 fighters on 500 events a year.....ugh.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, they have showcased him on some decent cards. He was on the Jones/OSP (originally Jones/DC 2) and Rousey/Holm bills in main card fights. Unfortunately they were the two least impressive fights in his streak. He knocked out Brunson in the main of a shallow card, Jacare fight was a MM card, and the Romero card just got gutted. They've tried with him but circumstances have worked against him becoming a star.

Strange to see Rockhold such a big favourite to pundits. His chin and Romero's power? Come on. He needs to be perfect to beat Yoel, whereas Yoel needs a perfect second in a fight with 1500 of them. Rockhold is an outstanding fighter at range and has the best top game in the division, but his boxing isn't good and he's slow in the pocket. He might be able to gas Romero with kicks, but I think that leads to Yoel going for the takedown, a scramble and Yoel murdering him with an uppercut or knee within two rounds.

Blaydes beats Hunt. Blaydes is talented, Hunt's on the way out. Hope he can pull another walk off KO though.

Rest of the card is actually full of finishers so can see it being quite entertaining.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize Romero was 40.

And it's crazy to think they've been about as active as the other. 4-5 fights in the last 4+ years. Not very active. Not really sure why Rockhold is a heavy favorite as they've both had similar results. Is Rockhold's chin that questionable compared to Romero? I've seen Yoel get rocked several times as well. It's a tough fight to call as I could see it going several different ways. A decision isn't one of them but why do I have a feeling this fight is going to lack fireworks and will be a cautious, strategic outing as opposed to one looking to kill the other.

It's just crazy to think they've ben in the UFC this long and only a handful of fights.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So Romero missed weight and this is now an interim fight only for Rockhold.

Whatever.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an interim title fight. If Romero wins he'll fight for the undisputed title anyway. I miss when PPV main events could just be good fucking fights between top contenders without chucking "interim" in the title.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    It's an interim title fight. If Romero wins he'll fight for the undisputed title anyway. I miss when PPV main events could just be good fucking fights between top contenders without chucking "interim" in the title.
    So it's an interim title belt that Yoel can't win but he'll have an immediate real title fight against the actual champ next if he wins? That sounds utterly ridiculous.

Agreed though, the interim tag is silly. We all know it's simply a number one contender label.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine just told me that Rockbold wasn't going to take the fight when Romero failed at making weight but then said he would do it if he gets 100k of Romero purse. That's a high price to pay. Hope Romero learned a lesson.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonights card so far has been really good.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Utterly blown away at Asker withstanding the assault he took as long as he did.

War Baby Hunt-o.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So Romero losses to Whittaker clean, makes himself ineligible for an interim title, wins an interim title fight nonetheless, and will now fight Whittaker again for the real title.

Because.

Or ... just give Whittaker all the time in the world to heal up while Romero and Jacare rematch, from a much disputed previous contest, for a legit number one contender spot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd prefer number 2 but they will probably go with number 1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fighters better watch out for Israel Adesanya. His takedown defense is pretty good and his striking is stellar. If he gets good on the ground he may become champ one day.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Romero/Rockhold went as I expected. Rockhold looking the better fighter before getting knocked unconscious. Romero just hits too hard for somebody who's defensively suspect on the feet not to land something in 25 minutes.

With Rockhold, I think the time's right for 205. The division is wide open with DC, Jones and Rumble seemingly gone. He'll bring his speed up and probably be more effective on the feet against slower targets, as he doesn't really throw with power anyway. Gustaffson's a tough fight, other than that I can see him being too fast and good from top position for the rest. Not cutting so much weight will lead to more improvements in camp too.

Was a good day for prospects really. Blaydes, Tuivasa, Israel, Matthews and Pedro all looked very good. Matthews is a dark horse to go on a run later in his career, still so young. Blaydes is close to a title shot. Who stops that wrestling? He's a problem for anyone.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Now, this was really awkward to watch..
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BfElRlrB...ed_as_it_gets_

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    It was no picnic to watch last night.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rockhold’s striking defense is way too flawed for even the light heavyweight division. He’s not used to fighting bigger stronger people than him. The likes of OSP, possibly even texeira and Manuwa and certainly Gus would light him up.

However, I think that Bobby Knuckles handles Romero again. I would be much more interested seeing Romero as a light heavyweight than Rockhold. He has the wrestling to keep it on the feet against Cormier, is older than him and wouldn’t be outsized. That is a more interesting fight to me than Stipe vs Cormier.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Romero losses to Whittaker clean, makes himself ineligible for an interim title, wins an interim title fight nonetheless, and will now fight Whittaker again for the real title.

Because.

Or ... just give Whittaker all the time in the world to heal up while Romero and Jacare rematch, from a much disputed previous contest, for a legit number one contender spot.

I could get down with this. Let's say Whittaker will be ready to go early summer. So you could do Romero v. Jacare 2 in April, winner gets Whittaker in July. It'd be a year since he won the belt so we're getting borderline where if he's STILL hurt you should probably just strip him but then that just leaves another revolving door that is the MW championship post-Weidman.

I wouldn't mind seeing Weidman v. Rockhold 2 as well. The winner of that fight could then go on to face the winner of the Whittaker-Romero/Jacare fight. I think Weidman has the tools to make it back to the top of the mountain. Seriously, his 2 losses were just mistakes. Throwing a wild kick at Rockhold and zigging when he should have zagged against Romero. I'd love to see Weidman v. Jacare as well.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Rockhold’s striking defense is way too flawed for even the light heavyweight division. He’s not used to fighting bigger stronger people than him. The likes of OSP, possibly even texeira and Manuwa and certainly Gus would light him up.

However, I think that Bobby Knuckles handles Romero again. I would be much more interested seeing Romero as a light heavyweight than Rockhold. He has the wrestling to keep it on the feet against Cormier, is older than him and wouldn’t be outsized. That is a more interesting fight to me than Stipe vs Cormier.
    Cormier, undefeated at HW, only losses at LHW were to the GOAT, Stipe is on his way to cementing his status as one of the greats, in his prime....And somehow Romero of all people is a more interesting fight because he's in his 40's and would be the same size as DC? I mean it's a fight I'd like to see but the sitting LHW and HW champions going at it with the cred I just gave....Yeah I don't know.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Weidman vs. Jacare for #1 Contender after Romero vs. Whitaker. Fresh fight, both coming off a stoppage victory so the winner will be on a good streak. Gastelum vs. Rockhold, Bisping vs. Machida, Brunson vs. Belfort, Santos vs. Branch (already announced), Hall vs. Costa (likewise) and Jotko vs. Tavares (that too) and the top 15 are all matched up.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news is that Romero didn't fuck up his leg. He thought he might have broken it or something wild.

Bisping v. Machida would be a good fight.

And we can pretty much assume Anderson Silva is done.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Silva story is just sad. Like his career before the latest bust had petered out in such a way that the oft-proclaimed GOAT's career being tarnished is barely news. The only fight in 5 years he's walked away with any credit is a loss to Michael Bisping. It should be a scandal in line with Lance Armstrong. What's mad is, of that 16-0 run to start his career (14 opponents - he fought Franklin and Sonnen twice), half of his opponents failed tests at some point in their career too - Bonnar, Griffin, Belfort, Sonnen, Irvin, Leben and Marquardt. A different era.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could get down with this. Let's say Whittaker will be ready to go early summer. So you could do Romero v. Jacare 2 in April, winner gets Whittaker in July. It'd be a year since he won the belt so we're getting borderline where if he's STILL hurt you should probably just strip him but then that just leaves another revolving door that is the MW championship post-Weidman.

I wouldn't mind seeing Weidman v. Rockhold 2 as well. The winner of that fight could then go on to face the winner of the Whittaker-Romero/Jacare fight. I think Weidman has the tools to make it back to the top of the mountain. Seriously, his 2 losses were just mistakes. Throwing a wild kick at Rockhold and zigging when he should have zagged against Romero. I'd love to see Weidman v. Jacare as well.
    3 losses.

Cormier, undefeated at HW, only losses at LHW were to the GOAT, Stipe is on his way to cementing his status as one of the greats, in his prime....And somehow Romero of all people is a more interesting fight because he's in his 40's and would be the same size as DC? I mean it's a fight I'd like to see but the sitting LHW and HW champions going at it with the cred I just gave....Yeah I don't know.
    I didn’t say that I wasn’t interested in Stipe vs Cormier, I said I was more interested in Cormier vs Romero. Two of the most decorated wrestlers in this history of the UFC, who fought at the same time on the international and Olympic stage, fighting in the same organisation, both probably realistically 2nd best fighters in their different divisions, both around the same age, both around the same size, neither disadvantaged. I want to see who is the better of the two.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    I like Weidman vs. Jacare for #1 Contender after Romero vs. Whitaker. Fresh fight, both coming off a stoppage victory so the winner will be on a good streak. Gastelum vs. Rockhold, Bisping vs. Machida, Brunson vs. Belfort, Santos vs. Branch (already announced), Hall vs. Costa (likewise) and Jotko vs. Tavares (that too) and the top 15 are all matched up.
    Yes to all of this.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Silva story is just sad. Like his career before the latest bust had petered out in such a way that the oft-proclaimed GOAT's career being tarnished is barely news. The only fight in 5 years he's walked away with any credit is a loss to Michael Bisping. It should be a scandal in line with Lance Armstrong. What's mad is, of that 16-0 run to start his career (14 opponents - he fought Franklin and Sonnen twice), half of his opponents failed tests at some point in their career too - Bonnar, Griffin, Belfort, Sonnen, Irvin, Leben and Marquardt. A different era.
    Exactly. A different era that I'm not going to hold against Silva because honestly, dudes were testing positive back then, they are now, it's even more strict now where you can't even drink certain brands of juice without popping for something. And we're definitely in a judge first society via social media where the second that USADA release hits, no matter what, you're fucked.

But the joys of entertainment whether it's sports, movies, more often than not we're pretty fucking forgiving.

3 losses.

I didn’t say that I wasn’t interested in Stipe vs Cormier, I said I was more interested in Cormier vs Romero. Two of the most decorated wrestlers in this history of the UFC, who fought at the same time on the international and Olympic stage, fighting in the same organisation, both probably realistically 2nd best fighters in their different divisions, both around the same age, both around the same size, neither disadvantaged. I want to see who is the better of the two.
    Totally forgot about Gegard.

I know you didn't say you weren't interested in Stipe v. Cormier, never once said that. I literally said "And somehow Romero of all is a MORE INTERESTING fight than Stipe?" And I guess I don't see where Cormier is at a disadvantage when he's never lost at HW and he's fought dudes bigger and just as bad as Stipe. When Cormier fought Bigfoot Silva, that was a scary fight for Cormier. When he fought Roy Nelson, Josh Barnett, hell everyone at HW can turn your lights out or submit you on any given day it seems lol.

But after your further explanation, I'm still a little surprised someone would think Cormier v. Romero is a more interesting fight than the Stipe fight but it makes a little more sense.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cormier hasn’t fought anyone as bad as Stipe because nobody has ever defended the Heavyweight title successfully as Stipe. All the guys Cormier fought at heavyweight we’re below the standard of Stipe. Now, Cormier might well best Stipe, who knows. But he is at obvious physical disadvantages against Stipe. Whereas vs Romero he isn’t. Plus there is the Olympic wrestling pedigree that makes me further interested.

I was thinking about other interesting stuff too. If Wonderboy stepped up to middleweight to fight Robert Whittaker, would anyone be surprised if he won again? Then if Woodley stepped up to fight Wonderboy as middleweight...would anyone be surprised if Woodley won again?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    As much as an olympian wrestler vs olympian wrestler matchup sounds pretty awesome to see unfold, history tells me it would just amount to a boxing match in mma.

And not that this would be a terrible thing or unentertaining even, but wrestling may well end up the very least of the display.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the exact point though. I want to see Cormier in a match where he cannot simply trump his opponent by having a single superior skillset to them. I want to see him fight someone else when he can't just take them down. His most exciting fights have been against Gus and Jones where he couldn't do that.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cormier hasn’t fought anyone as bad as Stipe because nobody has ever defended the Heavyweight title successfully as Stipe. All the guys Cormier fought at heavyweight we’re below the standard of Stipe. Now, Cormier might well best Stipe, who knows. But he is at obvious physical disadvantages against Stipe. Whereas vs Romero he isn’t. Plus there is the Olympic wrestling pedigree that makes me further interested.

I was thinking about other interesting stuff too. If Wonderboy stepped up to middleweight to fight Robert Whittaker, would anyone be surprised if he won again? Then if Woodley stepped up to fight Wonderboy as middleweight...would anyone be surprised if Woodley won again?
    When Cormier beat the likes of Bigoot, Barnett, Nelson, etc. they were all at least top 5, top 10 at the least but still dangerous as hell. Not taking anything away from Stipe but I'm not going to say that he's the GOAT when he couldn't finish a novice when he was cleaning everyone in the first round pretty easily. So if he can't finish a guy like Francis, he's going to have a bitch of a time with a guy like Cormier.

Again, you're looking at size over skillset. GSP v. Bisping? Matt Hughes v. BJ Penn 1 and 3? Again, all your examples of why you would be more interested were all about size and wrestling pedigree, no talk of how you'd want to see them stand and bang. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise I'm just chopping it up with you trying to understand those fans who see more interest in Romero moving up to 205 to fight Cormier rather than the top 2 fighters in their division going at it. Size wasn't a factor for Cormier in any fight and Stipe isn't the GOAT just yet.

Would I be surprised if Wonderboy beat Whittaker again? Nope, because Wonderboy imo is a better fighter than Whittaker. Would I be surprised if Woodley moved up and beat Wonderboy? Maybe, since the first fight was a draw and Woodley barely beat him the second time. Kind of an odd comparison.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh god, its not even worth coming in here to discuss something because you are so autistic that you cannot allow someone to have a difference of an opinion to you without turning it into a long and pointless argument.

Listen, I would be more interested in seeing Romero vs Cormier than Stipe vs Cormier, because of the reasons I have explained. I’m talking for me and me alone. I don’t care if anyone else would rather see that fight and I certainly don’t give a fuck about your opinion on the matter.

I am also not interested in your opinion on the Wonderboy/Whittaker/Woodley triangle. I was asking that question generally. In fact I care about everyone’s opinion on that APART from yours, because I have no inclination to get into a conversation with you about anything.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    So the punk vs mayweather fight is starting to gain a bit of traction

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that it is, not really.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen though and do actually think that it would be an interesting fight and would be a better test of whether boxing trumps MMA than Mayweather vs McGregor.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Where's this 'traction' coming from?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mayweather would likely be a featherweight in MMA. Maybe lightweight if he put a bit of muscle on to help with his core strength in grappling. He certainly wouldn't take any fight at 170lbs. Even if Punk is a glorified amateur, he's a significantly larger man in a completely new combat discipline for Floyd. Same size I think it's a logical "money" fight for Mayweather. But he's not going to risk losing to a WWE wrestler in a "real fight". I know it's not boxing, but his entire career would be slandered by the mainstream if he can't beat an actor in a fight. Stone bigger, new discipline, less experience, way past physical prime - all excuses that the mainstream media would laugh at coming from a cocky cunt like Floyd Mayweather.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    The size difference is substantial, but it's hard for me to get over what an awkward 'athlete' Punk is. Like, kinda fucking terrible really. He seems continuously uncoordinated and off balance. And for all his training I'm not sure his competency is of any better value than Floyd's legit speed, quickness, coordination, balance, reaction time, spacial awareness, etc. If Floyd opened as the underdog I'd be willing to put a few on him to stun Punk standing up and take the whole thing as I'm also not too confident in how Punk reacts to getting punched standing up. Punk should be able to take the smaller untrained guy down, but he's yet to show me anything whatsoever to instill any actual confidence in doing so.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see any way in hell that Mayweather would open as the underdog in that fight.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The size difference is substantial, but it's hard for me to get over what an awkward 'athlete' Punk is. Like, kinda fucking terrible really. He seems continuously uncoordinated and off balance. And for all his training I'm not sure his competency is of any better value than Floyd's legit speed, quickness, coordination, balance, reaction time, spacial awareness, etc. If Floyd opened as the underdog I'd be willing to put a few on him to stun Punk standing up and take the whole thing as I'm also not too confident in how Punk reacts to getting punched standing up. Punk should be able to take the smaller untrained guy down, but he's yet to show me anything whatsoever to instill any actual confidence in doing so.
    I'm not sure Punk would last even half as long as he did against Gall. I agree about the size, but it's not like we haven't been shown time and time again that size doesn't always matter. If a guy like Daniel Cormier can run the table on HW's twice his size, if GSP can come back after 4 years and choke out one of the most durable fighters of all time while rocking him a few times, I see no reason why Mayweather wouldn't put the hurt on CM Punk.

Man your post is spot on about Punk. He looked a lot better with the hands and grappling against The Undertaker and John Cena.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Floyd would of course open as favourite, but would probably cap at 1/4 or so. How many boxing matches did he take where he had less than an 80% chance of winning according to oddsmakers? The intangibles would make it a risk, and Floyd is not famous for taking risks. Punk's training would literally be all ankle picks and top control. If he got Floyd down he'd win. That's the fight. If he's so shit that a lifetime boxer sprawls the life out of him, he's the worst fighter to ever appear in the UFC. Which he might well be.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Biggest question is, could Punk beat Fred Ettish?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't be shocked if Floyd submitted Punk off his back. I mean, how serious is Punk taking this next fight? Has he been training religiously? It seemed like the last fight he had about 200 irons in the fire. Comic book, auditions for movies, injuries. He seemed very gung ho about being an MMA fighter on TSN but as time went by it just seems odd he's even doing it again.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Biggest question is, could Punk beat Fred Ettish?
    Why did you have to bring up Fetal Fred Ettish??? lol. Punk in that era.....It might have been worse for him. Imagine Punk v. Tank Abbott lol. And not in someone's backyard.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck knows why he's doing it. I know he had been studying BJJ for a while. Why not just do Metamoris exhibition fights with fellow fans (Kevin James? Vince Vaughan?)? So you've got to feel it's a bit of a cash grab too. Yet he can make that money and more if he went back to WWE, possibly even on a Brock deal. Strange.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Floyd would of course open as favourite, but would probably cap at 1/4 or so. How many boxing matches did he take where he had less than an 80% chance of winning according to oddsmakers? The intangibles would make it a risk, and Floyd is not famous for taking risks. Punk's training would literally be all ankle picks and top control. If he got Floyd down he'd win. That's the fight. If he's so shit that a lifetime boxer sprawls the life out of him, he's the worst fighter to ever appear in the UFC. Which he might well be.
    I like Brendan Schaub's description of Punk army crawling over to Floyd from the opening bell to attempt an ankle pick etc. Perfect strategy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine only machismo can keep a mixed martial artist from beating someone with zero ground game or takedown defence. The old adage of "all fights start on the feet" doesn't really tell the full story, as that would suggest they start in the phone booth. He could do the fucking Inoki/Ali tactic if he wanted.

Cowboy vs. Medieros on Sunday with a decent undercard. Who we taking?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some vets on this card so I'll be watching. I'm leaning toward Cerrone in this fight. Didn't Derrick Lewis retire? Maybe I missed something. I also like the James Vick-Trinaldo fight.

Speaking of UFC News...Will Brooks was released after going 1-3. Also, a dream match for me, Claudia v. Cookie Monster has been officially announced for UFC 225. This is I think the 3rd time they've booked this fight, both times in the past Claudia had to drop out (broken nose 4 days prior to fight, bad weight cut day before fight).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Beast retired in the heat of the moment. Took too many fights in a short period, got burnt out and frustrated that he got beat. Hope he can beat Tybura.

Have to favour Yancy in the main. Take him out with a shot to the body. Cowboy needs to go back to 155, he only lost to RDA, Pettis and Diaz.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Beast retired in the heat of the moment. Took too many fights in a short period, got burnt out and frustrated that he got beat. Hope he can beat Tybura.

Have to favour Yancy in the main. Take him out with a shot to the body. Cowboy needs to go back to 155, he only lost to RDA, Pettis and Diaz.
    I would say if he loses he should think about going back to 155 but he's done fairly well at 170. 4-3 with FINISHES over Matt Brown, Patrick Cote, Rick Story, and Alex Oliveria. I mean it could just be his years of fighting like Wanderlai Silva are really catching up to him. I remember the first time I saw him, that Tapout reality show. I thought he was going to go nowhere and sure as shit, the guy was inches from being champion.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cormier vs. Romero is an awful match. Cormier would wrestlefuck an exhausted Romero and has high enough fight IQ not to get knocked out in the first round. Whittaker was taking down Romero with one leg.

Cormier vs. Stipe is an amazing fight. Cormier had great trouble with Gus, who has the same size and physical attributes as Stipe, who is a lot stronger, has more KO power, and better wrestling. I don't see Cormier wrestlefucking Stipe and being forced to stand.

Edit: Just realized I was commenting about a discussion you guys had 3 days ago.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CM Punk vs. Mayweather will never happen. CM Punk is way too big for Mayweather. He had a hard weight cut at Welterweight. Mayweather soaking wet weighs 155lbs. Mayweather would need to be offered TONS of money to accept this circus atrocity.

With that said, if size was equal, I would take Mayweather to win. CM Punk has been practicing for 3 years and has zero physical attributes. In fact, CM Punk has showed us nothing other than awful telegraphed patty-cake punches before being takedown and looking like a fish out of water. Mayweather is an athlete (one of the best boxers of all time). I don't think he would have a hard time shrugging off CM Punk's takedowns with a lot of practice in wrestling.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be honest Sped, I give CM Punk less of a chance against Mayweather than he has against this 0-1 guy or Gall. As it's been said, Punk has no physical attributes. His shit looked cool in pro wrestling, I used to think Pat Morita and the Ninja Turtles were legit as well.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    His (Punk's) shit didn't even look that good in pro wrestling tbh, but he sold everything about his character so well that it didn't even really matter. People wanted to believe in him. Which makes fuck all difference of course in mma and why there may not be a pro fighter on the planet he'd be the favorite against.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
    Cormier vs. Romero is an awful match. Cormier would wrestlefuck an exhausted Romero and has high enough fight IQ not to get knocked out in the first round. Whittaker was taking down Romero with one leg.
    Whittaker didn't take down, nor attempt to take down Romero once in their fight, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you mean 'take down' as in 'taking out'.

Romero is actually a more decorated wrestler than Cormier, having won an Olympic silver and a World Championships Gold to Cormier's Bronze. He also beat a couple of guys (like Cael Sanderson), who Cormier lost to multiple times.

The cardio of Romero is also a bit of a myth now. His last 9 fights have gone to or beyond the 3rd round, only one of them he has lost, and 6 of them he has ended IN the third round.

Romero has an incredibly good fight IQ, look at any of the fight analysis videos, look how easily he adapted to Luke Rockhold's technique, listen to Robert Whittaker say that he is a genius:

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/2/15/1...ero-genius-mma

He has one of the best strike defence percentages in the UFC.

You're under-rating him.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yoel is absolute class. He's the fighting equivalent of a football (soccer) player who "does fuck all" but gets 30 goals a season. He figures out the opponent's defence, might take a while, then kills them. Genuinely one of the all time greats at this point. Rockhold, Jacare, Machida and Weidman are world class wins. Not as if Brunson or Kennedy lose to scrubs either. Throw in Tavares who's very decent and it's a tremendous resume.

Gastelum vs. Whitaker will be a special fight if Kelvin matures. Gastelum looks absolutely killer when he's on but might be a frontrunner. Him and Rockhold would be an excellent fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Romero has definitely flown under the radar for a lot of fans, including myself. When I looked up his record the other day I was like shit, he's only lost 1 time? It also felt like he was a lot more active but apparently in the last 4-5 years he's only had 10 fights in the UFC. And I do remember seeing him in Strikeforce getting knocked out but yeah he's definitely made most of the hardcores forget about that fight.

I do want to point out that to my knowledge Romero never beat Cael Sanderson. Not that it truly truly matters but I have a soft spot for my man Cael as he's an Iowa State University alumni. The guy was undefeated in college and the only time he faced Romero was in the Olympics and he won the gold whereas Romero lost and won the bronze.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    According to wiki Romero beat Cael twice in freestyle in 2003.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to wiki Romero beat Cael twice in freestyle in 2003.
    Ah shit I skimmed over that part like a dummy (DERP)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Cael was unbelievable. Just goes to show how good Romero was as well.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cael was unbelievable. Just goes to show how good Romero was as well.
    So was Jack Swagger. I do wonder what would have happened if a guy like him went to MMA instead of pro wrestling. I mean when Swagger broke in, MMA was starting to boom like crazy again. And he's dabbling in it now but he's late 30's so who knows what is still left in the tank.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cowboy stayed relevant then with a big win. Looks like he's going back to 155, probably the right call. Lawler and Till were much bigger. Goes back to a fresh division with new fights and some interesting rematches.

Black Beast got back in title conversation. His personality should land him another marquee fight. Him and Ngannou on big FOX is a no brainer for me.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And that'll be the fight where Francis takes D down, chokes him out, and then what excuse will people have to knock the guy? I mean, isn't the negativity toward Francis just absurd or am I in the minority?

People were too busy knocking Francis' performance against Stipe while giving Stipe a free pass. The guy breaks the HW title defense record without even finishing a guy on E for 20+ minutes. All while killing everyone on the path to breaking that record. IDK if that's a testament to Ngannou's heart or what but Stipe did not win any new fans with that victory imo.

How can you walk out of that fight making demands simply by playing it Woodley safe? I mean, even GSP would have finished a guy that fucking gassed and "duck out of water" with the grappling.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Eh, I don't really know what any particular casual fan thought of Stipe/Ngannou, but generally speaking if anyone came out of that fight with a diminished opinion of either man then they simply don't have a very comprehensive view of what they were seeing from the breadth and width of mma as a sport. And I say this in specific response to the idea that Stipe (or Ngannou for that matter) couldn't have gained any new fans after that fight.

Ngannou showed a tremendous will to not be finished, in this case by arguably the greatest HW in history, while showcasing as scary a display of ko power as can be.
    Miocic showed as admirable an iron chin, all-around skillset, composure, and fight iq as could be from the big boys.

It wasn't fireworks throughout, but it was a pretty kickass fight story imo that both guys can build off of in one way or another.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only "diminished" view I have of Stipe isn't even toward Stipe but the fans who are omitting him from criticism and just shitting on Ngannou. So again, if we're going to have fans knocking Francis, there is plenty to look at Stipe and go "What happened?" Where was the finish? Francis was not a threat that entire fight to the point where if his ground game was so shit why didn't Stipe attempt to finish him? I don't remember a single submission attempt, I remember some bs GNP here and there.

Honestly it was like watching Machida v. David Heath or a Jon Fitch fight. Or worse, Maia v. Anderson Silva.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So you did or didn't like Miocic's performance?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you did or didn't like Miocic's performance?
    I didn't like it but that's simply because my expectations were pretty high. I didn't expect 2 killers to have a fight that looked like Kevin Jordan v. Gabriel Gonzaga (although if it had ended the same whoa buddy). But again, my whole basis is simply defending Francis and trying to spread around the criticism.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Great showings by both champions. I couldn't believe Stipe could handle some of the big shots from Francis. Stipe also became the first HW to ever defend the title 3 times. That's insane.
    Eh, ok.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, ok.
    I was probably high when including Stipe in the "great" part or was more impressed with the fact he wasn't KO'd like everyone before him. It was also most definitely before I was hearing/reading all the constant bullshit toward Francis so I took a step back, took Stipe's dick out of my mouth, and proceeded to play Devil's Advocate.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whittaker didn't take down, nor attempt to take down Romero once in their fight, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you mean 'take down' as in 'taking out'.

Romero is actually a more decorated wrestler than Cormier, having won an Olympic silver and a World Championships Gold to Cormier's Bronze. He also beat a couple of guys (like Cael Sanderson), who Cormier lost to multiple times.

The cardio of Romero is also a bit of a myth now. His last 9 fights have gone to or beyond the 3rd round, only one of them he has lost, and 6 of them he has ended IN the third round.

Romero has an incredibly good fight IQ, look at any of the fight analysis videos, look how easily he adapted to Luke Rockhold's technique, listen to Robert Whittaker say that he is a genius:

https://www.mmamania.com/2018/2/15/1...ero-genius-mma

He has one of the best strike defence percentages in the UFC.

You're under-rating him.
    Ugh, that came out wrong. Whittaker stopped like 80% of Yoel's takedowns with one leg. With Cormier's size and wrestling pedigree, I just personally feel like he would wear him down and take him down, but that is just me. Maybe I am under-rating him. The guy is a freak.

He does absolutely have an unual statistic where he wins in the third round, but he is visibly gassed in them. You cannot deny facts but it is what it is.

My biggest example to defend my case would be the Tim Kennedy fight. I haven't watched it in forever, Romero obviously won, but (I could be wrong) didn't Romero essentially need an oxygen tank in that one? Cormier is a much more daunting foe than Kennedy

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only "diminished" view I have of Stipe isn't even toward Stipe but the fans who are omitting him from criticism and just shitting on Ngannou. So again, if we're going to have fans knocking Francis, there is plenty to look at Stipe and go "What happened?" Where was the finish? Francis was not a threat that entire fight to the point where if his ground game was so shit why didn't Stipe attempt to finish him? I don't remember a single submission attempt, I remember some bs GNP here and there.

Honestly it was like watching Machida v. David Heath or a Jon Fitch fight. Or worse, Maia v. Anderson Silva.
    are there really people like this though? most educated MMA fans realize that Francis can catch anyone any given sunday, but has obvious holes in his game. sure, the racist guy at he bar who knows nothing of MMA might have had a field day, "haha the black guy can't stop takedowns, go Stipe", but I haven't really seen much of what you are saying unless you strictly meant casuals

with that said, I think it is obvious Francis vs Derrick Lewis needs to happen. although Derrick Lewis had a hard time with Mark Hunt, so is it as compelling as everyone is hyping it up to be???

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Ugh, that came out wrong. Whittaker stopped like 80% of Yoel's takedowns with one leg. With Cormier's size and wrestling pedigree, I just personally feel like he would wear him down and take him down, but that is just me. Maybe I am under-rating him. The guy is a freak.

He does absolutely have an unual statistic where he wins in the third round, but he is visibly gassed in them. You cannot deny facts but it is what it is.

My biggest example to defend my case would be the Tim Kennedy fight. I haven't watched it in forever, Romero obviously won, but (I could be wrong) didn't Romero essentially need an oxygen tank in that one? Cormier is a much more daunting foe than Kennedy
    Shit I was there live but can't remember all that much from the fight. I think the reason Romero didn't get off his stool was because Kennedy almost finished him in the first round, not because he was gassed.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are there really people like this though? most educated MMA fans realize that Francis can catch anyone any given sunday, but has obvious holes in his game. sure, the racist guy at he bar who knows nothing of MMA might have had a field day, "haha the black guy can't stop takedowns, go Stipe", but I haven't really seen much of what you are saying unless you strictly meant casuals

with that said, I think it is obvious Francis vs Derrick Lewis needs to happen. although Derrick Lewis had a hard time with Mark Hunt, so is it as compelling as everyone is hyping it up to be???
    Oh dude it's not stupid ass fans. I've watched videos, read tweets, etc. about this fight from fans, fighters, analysts, etc. I've had discussions on 2 other message boards about this fight battling people just shitting on Francis and they're not dumb ass fans which is what bothers the fuck out of me.

Here's an example of that turd Schaub talking that shit with Joe Rogan:

And just read the comments. Some cats are seeing both sides, others are just completely shitting on Francis. It's easy to say "Oh they're just casuals, they're this and that" but it's not uncommon for hardcore and casuals alike to turn on a motherfucker when they lose a big fight the way he did.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dude it's not stupid ass fans. I've watched videos, read tweets, etc. about this fight from fans, fighters, analysts, etc. I've had discussions on 2 other message boards about this fight battling people just shitting on Francis and they're not dumb ass fans which is what bothers the fuck out of me.

Here's an example of that turd Schaub talking that shit with Joe Rogan:

And just read the comments. Some cats are seeing both sides, others are just completely shitting on Francis. It's easy to say "Oh they're just casuals, they're this and that" but it's not uncommon for hardcore and casuals alike to turn on a motherfucker when they lose a big fight the way he did.

Schaub is a cuckhold. Blades almost got knocked out by a 60 year old 5 foot Mark Hunt who has dementia and he has him ahead of Francis now. I don't believe all this hype that Blades is getting at all.

Francis made good money from this past fight. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt to say he ups his wrestling training. He went 5 rounds and was still dangerous the entire fight against the best HW of all time.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schaub is a cuckhold. Blades almost got knocked out by a 60 year old 5 foot Mark Hunt who has dementia and he has him ahead of Francis now. I don't believe all this hype that Blades is getting at all.

Francis made good money from this past fight. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt to say he ups his wrestling training. He went 5 rounds and was still dangerous the entire fight against the best HW of all time.
    And isn't that just crazy to think that a guy totally fucking gassed was somehow STILL dangerous against the top HW on the planet today? Yet you rarely see anyone giving him the props unless I've missed it. I read a lot of "He'll improve and if not he's fucked" type comments but nobody really going hold up, what about Stipe? Why is he getting off without anyone saying shit? Because if I'm in that division, taking out the whole "Anything can happen at HW" vibe, I'm going , how did Stipe not finish this guy? Didn't really feel like he even attempted to he just controlled the fight, kept it safe.

And yes Schaub is a cuck lol, but that's just one example of someone in the game coming across like a fucking hater.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Praising the strategy and comprehensive work of Stipe in that fight sounds like a testament and therefore salute to the danger of standing in front of a HW with Francis' power/danger.

Also, don't think Ngannou is necessarily fucked for not improving his wrestling/grappling due to the impressive ko power he continuously wields, but it is obviously a clear hole in his game that will be doggedly exploited by anyone he faces until it's rectified and a clear issue on his title hunt. Stipe on the other hand needs not off any hook in that same regard, cause obviously.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooooo apparently McGregor threw his name in the hat but the UFC couldn't put the money together to present it the way they wanted. So I assume they didn't want McGregor's return to be something pieced together in a month or less. But hey, props to Conor for doing so and against the 1 guy I think a lot of us for awhile had said would be his toughest fight.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    So he's willing to fight Edgar all of a sudden but not Khabib or Ferguson? Ok.

Matter of fact I'm not all that convinced he actually offered to fight Edgar. Just as easy to believe he just wanted to pop off to keep his name lit up.

Actually looking forward to Edgar/Ortega anyway. Good divisional tablesetter following Emmett/Stephens for a returning Holloway.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'd call bullshit on Conor. Maybe he did offer, but it would have been with the knowledge that it wouldn't get made. If so, he'd have offered to fight Ferguson in April if he's ready to fight and they'd have paid Khabib to step aside. Conor's act has tired for me, his whole act during the Aldo build was that he showed up, he'd defend with more frequency than the injury prone Aldo, that he'd that he'd simultaneously defend and dominate two divisions. Money's changed that. He's become a hypocrite.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Edgar's manager last night said to his knowledge McGregor never offered to fight anyone at that show. I mean it's cool he's getting the itch, dude is one of the best without question.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad card tomorrow night. Littered with former title challengers, top 15 talent and even a former champ in Barao dossing it on the prelims.

Stephens vs. Emmett is all of a sudden a very relevant fight in the division, with Edgar vs. Ortega eliminating a title contender putting somebody else in line for a title shot after the winner of that one. A big main event showing from one of these guys probably puts them at the front of the queue. Emmett would be a meteoric rise, going from 155lb dropout to top 145lb contender in 4 months and 3 fights. Stephens' rise would be unique too in that he has seemed on the scrapheap at numerous points in his career, yet finds a performance when the back's against the wall. Now he's on a win streak and main eventing FOX. I've seen more than enough from Stephens to have him as a favourite in this fight. We know he can push a good pace through five rounds, great chin, and enough power to change the course of a fight in moments. Emmett is a greater unknown, but the way he wings his shots and goes deep on takedowns leads me to think he slows down the stretch and Stephens capitalises. Think it goes the full five and the cards are a bit contentious with Emmett not being given a 10-8 for round 1 or something. Close fight.

Torres vs. Andrade honestly should be main event, but names are names and they aren't big ones in the slightest. Winner gets the title shot almost definitely, unless Rose and Carla win their respective fights possibly. I've seen it being called as a matador/bull kind of fight but Torres is a high volume striker too, just without the velocity of Andrade. Unless somebody has absurd physical advantages over Andrade (Joanna had half a foot on her), I don't see her losing at 115. Too relentless, too powerful, too good a gas tank. Torres is a talented fighter but she doesn't have the tools to beat her. She'll make it competitive and take it the distance but should be a clear 30-27.

OSP vs. Latifi is another fight that has bigger title implications than it should have given the talent involved. Both good fighters, but title contenders? Come on. Shallow division though so more than likely the winner fights Gustafsson next for the next shot. I favour OSP who is just a big boy at the weight, uses his length well and should find a home for a kick based knockout, or can finish from top position if he ends up there. Latifi hits hard but a man that short shouldn't be able to find Saint Preux's chin if he keeps his sense about him.

Mike Perry's been given a homer. Rightfully so, he's an exciting young fighter who they don't need to kill off by giving him great fighters beyond his skill level at this rate. He gets the KO in dramatic fashion and stupidly calls out Darren Till, who will destroy him. Will get eyeballs though with the hype they'll generate.

Barao returns against a journeyman in Brian Kelleher. If Barao doesn't resoundingly beat this level of competition, he is done. Truth be told though, the signs are there that he is. He's been completely non-descript since Dillashaw ruined him for the title, even in his two wins. So far removed from the lightning quick back taking, wheel kick throwing finish machine that he was for an age. I hope he can get a win, maybe another in Brazil in May then work towards a top 10 opponent. Alas, he probably gets clipped and finished here by a guy who 4 years ago couldn't lace his boots.

McMann vs. Renau is another strangely important fight due to a shallow division. Both are top 10 at 135 I believe, maybe top 5. It's a terrible weight class. Renau is decent but drew with Bethe Correira. Yes, her. So you've got to fancy Sara to get a win and park herself in the contenders pool again. Raquel Pennington gets a shot next for Christs sake.

Hill vs. Moraz should be fan friendly. Neither are going anywhere in the substantially better 115lb division but should be a fun fight. Hill wins by output.

Jouban vs. Saunders is one of the most perfect journeyman fights where neither has to get steamrolled by a guy with big upside. Both strikers, both with a bit of power so should be exciting. Saunders has no chin though so I expect Jouban to put him away.

Rani Yahya is probably the most underrated guy on the roster, 9-3, never finished, and also never in a meaningful fight. He's on Fight Pass again. So is Sam Alvey, who has the two most ridiculous top wins for a middling fighter, beating the ghosts of Rashad Evans and Nate Marquardt. What a waste of a rub.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Just noticed Jacare/Gastelum was announced for 224. Thinking what's next for Weidman?

/Just saying, Gus/Latifi aint happening, no matter what.
    Last edited by OD50; February 23rd, 2018 at 1:42 PM.