Results 11,701 to 11,800 of 13672

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    I made the mistake of responding to you. Completely my bad.

Go ahead, I honestly don't/can't care what you have to say.

It's all your thread now, bud.
    Well it's been my thread for like 10 years. Your last 2 contributions were just depressing.

Idk man I'm excited as fuck to see Cowboy snap this skid orrrr McGregor start a rise to the top. I just don't know about 170.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    I made the mistake of responding to you. Completely my bad.

Go ahead, I honestly don't/can't care what you have to say.

It's all your thread now, bud.
    Shouldn’t have bothered. He’s literally killed all the MMA discussion on here because nobody wants to engage in a mind numbing debate with him, you’d think that as someone who actually likes talking about the ufc that he would tone his shit down to encourage debate, but nope, happy to talk to himself just like I always said he would end up doing.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Legit bummer. There've been quite a few posters come through here tuned in to what's going on in the sport. The convos could/should be pretty fun.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still read MMA websites every single day and watch as much MMA as I ever have. I’m just not interested in discussing it here due to the inevitable cycle of shit of ending up in a nonsensical argument with that idiot. I have him on ignore, so I can’t even see what he posted, but I saw what you said so could that get a good idea of how it went. He spends the best part of a month posting to himself with no reply, no debate, then as soon as anyone joins in the conversation he finds something innocuous to post about and chases them out of any interest in discussion within a day. And people had the gall to claim that he stimulates discussion.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    It is possible to have conversations around someone you place on ignore if you find they're stifling conversation.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    It isn't a question of is it possible.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Then what is it a question of?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Apparently for Mik and myself as of late and for whomever else of the several that used to post here it's a question of is it worth it.

And the answer appears to be no.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Three clicks to put him on ignore isn't worth it? Fair enough.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I don't need to put someone on ignore to not mind their posts. I've by and large done that for some time now anyway.

But even on ignore the general nonsense of worthless responses gumming up the thread stifles discussion just as Mik pointed out.

Ultimately I agree though in saying fair enough. I can just not bother. He can have 'his thread' for another 10 years by himself.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Three clicks to put him on ignore isn't worth it? Fair enough.
    Me ignoring him means that he doesn’t bother me. However I can’t ignore him bothering everyone else because all the people that I would talk to get dragged down by him too, in fact the threads as a whole just get dragged down, the only way it wouldn’t stifle conversation in here would be if EVERYONE put him on ignore. By that stage.,,what’s the point?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mik and his "I put him on ignore but still need to chime in" routine is tired. Percussion, you spent more time and energy talking shit about me to Mik than engaging in a discussion about the thread topic (MMA) so enough of this victim bullshit.

This thread has never been booming. And to chalk up every thread that isn't super popular as being the result of some back and forth that offends the softest posters on the board, comical.

It's pretty much been the same people for a while posting in the MMA thread. A lot of people have simply left the boards or rarely post these days as it is. It's not that serious guys.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holm/Pennington rematch rescheduled for UFC 246. I know Ngannou is trying to get on this card since he's going to have to wait for Stipe to fight Cormier in their 3rd fight, so it'll be interesting to see if he wins up on this card facing that Alexander dude.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zhang v. Joanna might be going down at UFC 248 for the SW title. Joanna turning into Frank Mir where 1 win gets her a title shot, sometimes in different divisions lol. But it makes sense if Rose isn't going to fight Zhang, not a lot of top tier killers right now knocking on the door.

I've seen very little of Zhang but she has beat some ass along the way. 20-1, can't hate on that kind of record.

So someone that I completely forgot about when talking about "top tier killers"...Tatiana Suarez. Undefeated, ranked #3, the only people ranked higher than her are JJ and Rose. I don't know...maybe they should have given Suarez the shot and let JJ build herself back up to title contention even if it meant 1 more win.
    Last edited by Nash Diesel; December 3rd, 2019 at 3:35 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian Ortega out of the Korean Zombie fight at UFC FN 165 in Busan. Hopefully they find a good replacement. He'll be out for at least 2-3 months.

Ashlee Evans-Smith and Molly McCann are meeting in London March 21st. Always a fan of Evans-Smith. I don't think we'll ever see her challenging for a title but I like her look and taste in music.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankie Edgar stepping in for Ortega to face Korean Zombie. Love it. I'm glad they were able to find a top tier replacement and 2 guys who have never fought. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankie is an animal. Might turn out to be a choice decision as well - a win and a Volk win and he's right back in line at 145.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overeem's lip..........WOW

Questionable stoppage? Some people think it was, I'm on the fence.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was the correct decision, but was a rookie mistake by the big man to walk off. If he just stood over Reem and feared up to punch nobody would question it, it's that he wondered away from a (barely) still conscious man with 5 seconds left. Any hesitation from the ref and he loses a decision.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    It was the correct decision, but was a rookie mistake by the big man to walk off. If he just stood over Reem and feared up to punch nobody would question it, it's that he wondered away from a (barely) still conscious man with 5 seconds left. Any hesitation from the ref and he loses a decision.
    I agree. I wasn't expecting him to pull a Mark Hunt but I understand why. This dude then calls out Ngannou....The balls, gotta love it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This fight card on Saturday is something special. It's relevant pretty much the whole way through, with 3 title fights and a further 7 between fighters either ranked or on the cusp of being so.

Usman vs. Covington stylistically isn't going to get the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, but it's a legitimate world title fight between 2 outstanding fighters. It kind of reminds me of that Edgar vs. Maynard title fight actually, going in. On paper it just doesn't mesh. We'll see in the cage though. I think I'm leaning Colby to be honest, on paper Usman does what Colby does best better, but I think Colby is more well rounded and takes rounds as the more active striker. It's close either way. Expecting points, 3-2, could be a split.

Holloway vs. Volkanovski is a beast of a fight. Holloway might be my favourite fighter in the sport when he finds his rhythm, but Volk is a tough outing. I think he's too hittable though. T Rex Mendes was landing clean shots. I think it's close through 2 but Max's volume turns up and he presses to a finish in the championship rounds. Volk is a live dog though, 7-0 in the UFC, decent power and a good engine.

Amanda Nunes being third fight down is a bit disrespectful. I get that GDR is the least known of the 6 title competitors, but Nunes is the female GOAT. There has been 9 reigns as champion between 125 and 145 pounds - Nunes has 2 of them, and defeated 6 of the others. The other, Nicco Montano, was a paper champion. She should main event cards. Alas, we get to see Amanda Nunes fight in the middle of the PPV. GDR is a great striker so it's actually a contest given Nunes generally fights on the feet. Smart play is the takedown but it probably was against Holm too and she killed her. I can see an upset based on that, Nunes not playing smart, but I still lean Amanda to run through her in the first. It's what she does.

Aldo vs. Moraes. Jose Aldo fourth fight down against the #1 ranked contender at bantamweight?! Crazy. It's all about this weight cut for Aldo. If it's good, this is an insanely competitive stand up fight between 2 of the best strikers in the sport. If it sucks, Moraes irons out a depleted Aldo inside 3 minutes. It's basically win-win for the UFC - either Moraes stops the great Jose Aldo or Jose immediately gets a crack at Cejudo. I lean towards a bad cut and the early finish for Marlon, but I'm hoping for vintage Aldo winning in a firefight.

Faber vs. Yan is a Fight Night main event masquerading as a PPV opener. Yan is a huge betting favourite here but Faber is hugely underrated I'd say, mainly due to his finishing instincts. He has the kill shot. Hurts you, finds your neck, goodbye. Yan needs to be sharp for 15 minutes. He's the better, technical fighter so I favour him to do so, but Faber can absolutely pull this off.

Neal vs. Perry is a guaranteed banger. Either Neal pieces Perry apart or Perry finds the big punch and scores a huge knockout. With how Perry fights, it'll be entertaining. For me it's Neal's fight to make a statement - Perry should have taken a year out with that horrific broken nose, and he's back in 4 months. Poor management. Geoff smashes it in and scores the stoppage, hopefully emphatically but in my head I've got the doctor stopping it.

Vieira vs. Aldana is probably the #1 contender fight for the Nunes/GDR winner, unless Nunes decides to defend at 145 first. Vieira is undefeated but hurt by inactivity. Aldana has won 4 of 5 and come into her own in a bad division. Vieira looks to be in a different class though and should take it comfortably on points.

Heinisch vs. Akhmedov is one of those fights between ranked guys that probably don't have quite enough to get a title run going. But because of the rankings, the winner will get a shot at a decent fighter. Coin flip fight, goes to points, slightly lean Heinisch based on activity.

Saunders vs. Brown is the shit. Neither fighter is going on a run, but they both fight with the knowledge that somebody is going out on their back. Brown is the better fighter and unlike Saunders still has a chin. However, Saunders plum clinch with knees to the body? It's a wrap. So it's who gets their pressure going first. Honestly, I see Saunders taking it. Brown already fought a shot fighter getting "one more fight" in Jake Ellenberger, and the body shot was all she wrote. Saunders inside 2 minutes by TKO.

Hooper vs. Teymur looks to be a lay up for a prospect in Hooper. Teymur has struggled at UFC level unlike his brother. I guess it goes to points with Hooper winning.

Moreno vs. Kara France is a great early prelim. Moreno has some good wins (Ortiz, Smolka), while Kara France is the form fighter. Entertaining scrap with Kara France taking it on points.

Eye vs. Araujo is interesting as Araujo has 1 punch knockout power, rare for 125lb women, and Eye just got her clock cleaned last fight. So it's either a high volume Eye win or she gets smashed. If she's tentative, and she will be after the last fight, I lean towards the latter.

Soriano vs. Piechota is like the Hooper fight, a guy they see as a prospect against a guy probably not at UFC level. Soriano via stoppage.

Awesome card.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the type of UFC card that makes you buy the DVD (if they even make them lol). I'm in no way a fan of Colby, not even really a fan of Usman either, but Colby is such a piece of shit that the less of him on future cards the better chance they have of me watching. Love the FW title fight, Max is so good, one of the best of the lighter divisions EVER. Nunes v. GDR. I hope Nunes wins and I agree that she should be main eventing shows, might help sell her as a true main event player.

The rest of the card holy fuck. Aldo/Moraes is a dream fight, Brown v. Saunders will end violently, probably for Saunders. Yeah I'm excited, haven't been this excited for a card in a long time to be honest.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the UFC released Liz Carmouche which I thought was a little strange. The reasoning behind it, according to Liz, is that the UFC told her she's beating all the potential contender's at 125. That might be the first time I've ever heard the UFC tell someone they were released because they can't build a division if someone is winning in the division........And I'll be honest, looking at her record, I'm going to call bullshit.

That's not to say the UFC didn't tell her that to be nice about it, or maybe it was moreso they were worried she would kill off contender's but again, I think it's bullshit. She's 2-2 at 125lbs. The 2 people she beat 1 of them (Maia) missed weight her last 2 fights. The other is a non-factor. It was probably the UFC going, your style is fucking boring and we don't want to pay you what you're asking. That's exactly what they did to dudes like Jon Fitch.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just the economics of the sport. Winning fighters get incremental pay increases. If they're dull they're a hard sell for big fights until they've won a few on the bounce. Getting them to the point of winning those fights potentially sacrifices more entertaining or popular fighters, early on cards, to a fighter they can't push and are paying gradually more and more. Fitch beating the breaks off Erick Silva probably did more for his contract not being renewed than his loss to Maia. Basically, the company wants to build people that can make them money with the least possible investment, while Carmouche falls foul in both departments.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana White saying if Khabib can beat Tony, and McGregor beats Cerrone, we're looking at a rematch down the line soon..............................Thoughts?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Economics of the sport. Fight fans know Gaethje is the fight, but would bring in a fifth of the interest, if that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fight card last night. Really delivered. 5 of the 8 prelims ended in emphatic finishes. Geoff Neal looked a legit contender against Mike Perry. Mike is limited but durable and he got his head kicked in. Aldana with a one hitter quitter at women's bantamweight. Matt Brown grinded Saunders then smashed. The 2 debutants looked good.

Yan vs. Faber was a coming out party for Yan. You've got him and Sterling on win streaks but without big names, you have to think that main events a card as a top contender fight as (hopefully) cringey Henry defends the flyweight belt against Benavidez.

Aldo looked really good in a competitive, close defeat against a man that might be the best at 135, and might be champ if he approached the title fight differently. It was essentially a coin flip decision and I'd love a 5 round rematch with Aldo starting lighter for the second weight cut.

Nunes was smart. Outgunned on the feet for once so made the correct adjustments. I feel the blitz in the first depleted her tank so she went in economical mode after that. GDR gave a good account of herself in a clear defeat, she had success in the second and had opportunities in the third and fourth.

Volk fought a great fight. Took away Holloway's weapons, kept out of trouble and chipped away patiently. It was a fine technical battle that lacked drama due to Holloway thinking it was closer than it was I think. He needed to finish big.

What a main event. Crikey. Beautifully poetic finish. Broke his jaw, snuffed him out and made him run away from the Octagon in pain. Some man Kamaru Usman. Colby deserves credit for fighting a great fight and toughing out the injury, but fuck him, hope he enjoys soup for Christmas the horrible little cunt.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone else think Aldo got robbed? I had a few buddies claiming robbery, I'm undecided.

Usman-Colby was easily the best fight from either guy in terms of entertainment value. Very glad Usman won. I fucking hate Colby. Usman v. Masvidal, what other fight at 170 is there to make for the title? Zero. And if the rumors are true, that Usman had turned down a fight against Masvidal, well....we might have a new champ come Easter.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usman vs. Masvidal will be the next title fight. That's a massive fight now too. Both winning big in the main event of stacked PPV's back to back. It's pretty much a lock for International Fight Week I'd say, given Masvidal wants time off and Usman had a super tough fight and will sit for 6 months at least.

All of a sudden they've got some huge fights lined up - Usman/Mas and Adesanya/Costa for July following Stipe/DC and an Amanda title defence in June? Have to fit Cejudo in too.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i love colby. a true heel. dedicated to be over-the-top unlikable. colby/masvidal would have been a hell of a program.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People like Colby do make the sport more entertaining, I'll give him that. It was about time for the "program" to be blown off though, with the dastardly racist heel getting his jaw wired shut by the brick shithouse immigrant babyface.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People like Colby do make the sport more entertaining, I'll give him that. It was about time for the "program" to be blown off though, with the dastardly racist heel getting his jaw wired shut by the brick shithouse immigrant babyface.
    Entertaining is a stretch. I'm not entertained by racists. That's like saying David Duke, while a disgusting piece of shit, is at least entertaining about being a disgusting piece of shit.

The storyline itself in terms of the result, fuck yeah you couldn't write a better ending unless it was Masvidal. It's what made the 2 Anderson Silva-Chael fights compelling in terms of the loudmouth idiot got what he deserved. It was almost the same joy I felt when Conor lost to Nate and Khabib. Saying all that fucked up weird shit going into those fights then taking an L. And Conor's said some really ignorant shit about people over the years as well. Arguably the most racist fighter in MMA today.

Colby was borderline Klansman. I wish it was someone other than Usman because Usman himself is a toolx1000, so hopefully he stops ducking Masvidal and gets the Jesus smoke.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's something about people like that getting their head kicked in. I probably should have said anticipation rather than entertainment.

Masvidal vs. Usman is an interesting fight. If Usman has fallen in love with his power and the adrenaline of crowd support for an entertaining fight, Masvidal has a huge shot. If Usman goes in and does what he does against anybody other than Colby, how can Jorge stop that?

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did Amanda stand in the guard so much? That seemed absolutely crazy and was literally the most dangerous position for her to lose the fight

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's something about people like that getting their head kicked in. I probably should have said anticipation rather than entertainment.

Masvidal vs. Usman is an interesting fight. If Usman has fallen in love with his power and the adrenaline of crowd support for an entertaining fight, Masvidal has a huge shot. If Usman goes in and does what he does against anybody other than Colby, how can Jorge stop that?
    Ok I see what you meant by it being entertaining, we were on the same page for sure. It's how I used to feel about Tito and Chael years ago. Well, I still feel that way about Tito despite any positives I've ever mentioned about him lol.

Masvidal never really been outclassed but maybe once or twice in his UFC career. Almost all of his losses were split decisions. Usman is a pretty bland fighter more often than not, the Colby fight, maybe they were both worried about the others' wrestling and that's why they chose to stand as we've seen that happen more often than not with wrestlers.

Notice how rarely do we ever get excited about 2 wrestlers to see what they'll do on the ground. I only seem to notice excitement with 2 grapplers fighting when it's submission grappling. Like Josh Barnett v. Big Nog or Nick Diaz v. Diego Sanchez. Nobody seemed to be too excited for what we might see in the cage on the ground between Usman and Covington but I was really surprised neither guy tried to implement their wrestling and they just stood there and banged.

Quote Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
    Why did Amanda stand in the guard so much? That seemed absolutely crazy and was literally the most dangerous position for her to lose the fight
    What up Sped!?!

I think she realized that she needed to switch it up because GDR is no joke on the feet. I mean you heard her about that boxer, if they fight she's taking her to the ground and submitting her immediately lol. Nunes is no joke on the feet either, look at what she did to Holly Holm for fuck's sake.

I'm curious to see what's next for her. The money fights are gone imo, for the time being. She should honestly retire. Women's boxing is not big, at all, nobody is going to give 2 shits about her pulling a McGregor.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man and now I'm reading that Usman doesn't want to fight Masvidal......Fuck this guy. First he turned down the fight which is why they did the whole BMF title fight in New York. Now he's talking about wanting to fight Leon Edwards, or fucking GSP. I am so sick and tired of people calling out inactive fighters. T-Wood saying naw I don't want to fight the #1 contender I want to fight Nick Diaz who hasn't fought in 10 years lol. Or the whole GSP talk.

GSP isn't coming back. If he is, he's not fighting these young studs who MIGHT beat him. He'll throw his name out there just to keep a little buzz going but Georges is rich as fuck, has his health, he has no reason to come back and give this middle road nobodies a fat check.

It's almost as stupid as Yoel Romero being gifted ANOTHER title shot....Dude can barely make weight, 2 fight losing streak, Izzy's next opponent simply because Izzy wants to stay active and Costas is hurt.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    the right booking move would be for colby to win a controversial and probably but not definitely undeserved split decision win, take on the fired up brawler masvidal with lots of hot promos and then beat him with his technical superiority, and then run it back with usman and get knocked out.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    the right booking move would be for colby to win a controversial and probably but not definitely undeserved split decision win, take on the fired up brawler masvidal with lots of hot promos and then beat him with his technical superiority, and then run it back with usman and get knocked out.
    The right "booking" move would be for Colby to stop talking. lol. Stop paying these ugly hoes who look like sex traffic victims being forced to pose with their pimp.

I have to agree with Fanny. The ending to Colby was about as right as you get. The dude is done, they milked everything out of him and it amounted to nothing. Props to him in terms of making it as far as he did in arguably the deepest division in MMA regardless of the promotion. Outside of that.....The sport has no place for this kind of bullshit.

Tito Ortiz is a Trump supporter, he doesn't sound like a racist dope about it. If you're only supporting America because you THINK it'll get you more money, this should be proof point that Colby is not a draw, he's nothing. It wouldn't even fly in pro wrestling it's that bad.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Korean Zombie or Frankie the Answer?

Heart says Zombie, head says Zombie but Frankie still has a good shot. He's no joke. This will be a fight that I could see going to the distance and Frankie getting the nod. I don't see a finish unless it's from Zombie staggering him and then reigning bombs with the ref saving Frank's life.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zombie by knockout. Frankie's famous durability should be respected, but he's apporoaching 40 now and the shots that have hurt Edgar in the past, uppercuts, are a huge part of Zombie's repetoire, and he probably hits harder than anybody he's fought. Edgar can win the fight, we've not really seen Zombie's wrestling tested since his comeback and Edgar is one of the more underrated grapplers in the sport's history, but his chain wrestling lends itself to that uppercut counter, and I think if it lands early it'll be curtains.

It's an interesting division. Mendes retiring and Aldo moving to 135 (and possibly Edgar after this fight) means the current champion hasn't beaten any current 145 contender with the exception of Holloway. Holloway himself would have only beaten Ortega and Stephens out of the current contenders, should he win the rematch. Zombie, Rodriguez and Zabit would all be exciting new match-ups for either man.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cejudo has vacated the flyweight belt, leaving Benavidez and Figueiredo to fight for the vacant belt on an ESPN+ card. Honestly, I can see that being the last flyweight title fight for the foreseeable future. There's nobody with any clout after that, maybe a Moreno title shot in Mexico at a push. Hoping Benavidez gets it done and finally takes home a title, he's pretty much been top 3 in the world at either 135 or 125 for 10 years and not yet claimed a world title. Who else can say that? The most consistent nearly man in the sport's history. Might be the only fighter to lose 2 title challenges by split decision too, to cement that fact.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cejudo has vacated the flyweight belt, leaving Benavidez and Figueiredo to fight for the vacant belt on an ESPN+ card. Honestly, I can see that being the last flyweight title fight for the foreseeable future. There's nobody with any clout after that, maybe a Moreno title shot in Mexico at a push. Hoping Benavidez gets it done and finally takes home a title, he's pretty much been top 3 in the world at either 135 or 125 for 10 years and not yet claimed a world title. Who else can say that? The most consistent nearly man in the sport's history. Might be the only fighter to lose 2 title challenges by split decision too, to cement that fact.
    Yeah I just read late last night that Cejudo wants to defend the BW title against Jose Aldo and Dana was liking the idea.................................I get that it was a close decision but come on. What the fuck is going on? Romero on a 2 fight losing streak gifted ANOTHER title shot and now Aldo possibly getting a title shot? Odd.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the fight business. Adesanya vs. Cannonier does 200k buys, Adesanya vs. Romero does 300. If Jared beats Whittaker in a PPV fight, maybe then Israel vs. Jared will sell on that level. Sucks, but as Holloway says "it is what it is". Aldo too. Nobody's paying to see Petr Yan. Former FW GOAT Jose Aldo looking to establish his legacy by going for a historic second title? That's the narrative. Get their pound of flesh out of Aldo before he's out for pasture.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the fight business. Adesanya vs. Cannonier does 200k buys, Adesanya vs. Romero does 300. If Jared beats Whittaker in a PPV fight, maybe then Israel vs. Jared will sell on that level. Sucks, but as Holloway says "it is what it is". Aldo too. Nobody's paying to see Petr Yan. Former FW GOAT Jose Aldo looking to establish his legacy by going for a historic second title? That's the narrative. Get their pound of flesh out of Aldo before he's out for pasture.
    But when ESPN is the exclusive ppv provider and are paying the UFC essentially what they'd get for half a million buys, does Romero's drawing power (if any) need to be compared?

The problem will be that the UFC will be creating a negative backlash from a lot of fans wondering why winners are rewarded and losers who have had multiple opportunities and failed for whatever reason being rewarded. Especially Romero. Guy misses weight, he's already had 2-3 title shots within the last couple years. Now we're talking about giving Jose Aldo a title shot after he was beaten by a guy just as good if not better?

And I do get it with Aldo to an extent because Cejudo finished Moraes. So I could understand it if Moraes didn't just beat Aldo lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fans who are bothered by it will still watch the fights. Look at this Conor nonsense next month. One fight card featuring a coke head who has lost his 2 combat fights comprehensively fighting a falling off contender who has also been stopped in his last two fights. That shit will outsell that awesome card that we just had by at least 2 to 1. The aim is to get people to buy the PPV's to show a return on the ESPN investment to continue to do good business with the TV rights in the future. It's no good selling ESPN down the river with nothing to show for their money or they won't get a new deal down the line. Marlon Moraes is one of the sport's good guys, Petr Yan is a berserker, but Jose Aldo vs. Henry Cejudo will do better business. It's simple economics. There's a reason why nice guys like Volkanovski will co-main event if they're fortunate enough to earn a title shot, and why charismatic showmen like Adesanya get the show built around them. I don't agree with Aldo getting a title shot at all, unless they're going for the live gate in Brazil, but that's life. I'm guessing they'll aim for that as a double header in May with Nunes then? If it's in the States, it's harder to justify as an event.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fans who are bothered by it will still watch the fights. Look at this Conor nonsense next month. One fight card featuring a coke head who has lost his 2 combat fights comprehensively fighting a falling off contender who has also been stopped in his last two fights. That shit will outsell that awesome card that we just had by at least 2 to 1. The aim is to get people to buy the PPV's to show a return on the ESPN investment to continue to do good business with the TV rights in the future. It's no good selling ESPN down the river with nothing to show for their money or they won't get a new deal down the line. Marlon Moraes is one of the sport's good guys, Petr Yan is a berserker, but Jose Aldo vs. Henry Cejudo will do better business. It's simple economics. There's a reason why nice guys like Volkanovski will co-main event if they're fortunate enough to earn a title shot, and why charismatic showmen like Adesanya get the show built around them. I don't agree with Aldo getting a title shot at all, unless they're going for the live gate in Brazil, but that's life. I'm guessing they'll aim for that as a double header in May with Nunes then? If it's in the States, it's harder to justify as an event.
    Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I do know a lot of fans are understanding when it comes to certain situations. Romero getting a shot for example, I sort of get it, apparently Dana has a hard on for this guy because no matter if he misses weight, fails a drug test, loses twice, he's still finding his way into a title shot and people say it's out of necessity but again, is Romero a bigger draw or is he just someone who has been in the top 10 longer?

It's simple economics under the old way of doing things. It doesn't help build up the roster. I can't even tell you if Izzy is a draw or not because what am I basing it on? He's just another hardworking dude who climbed his way up the ranks. If he wasn't kicking everyone's ass it wouldn't matter how flashy and charismatic he is. GSP was not a charasmatic fighter when he was outdrawing everyone but Lesnar.

And I'm not disagreeing with you as much as I'm just rambling about how it is kind of absurd Romero is getting a shot and then Aldo getting one (maybe) coming directly off a loss. But as you pointed out, arguments can be made as to why they need to happen. The UFC unfortunately has really struggled in the last 5-6 years to make stars as in reality Conor is the only one that's emerged with a few spattered here and there that are about a 100th of what he is, guys and gals who are draws but not in the same atmosphere as those before them.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It changed with the Fox deal I think. Once you saturate a market, you make your fanbase pick and choose content. That leads to the content effectively getting tiered, relegating ESPN+/FS1 prelims to effectively meaningless. Yet, ranked fights happen there. So rankings mean less to the public because they're told they're the lowest level fights. That killed flyweight. Guys have no names so they're fighting on prelims, then all of a sudden they're the top ranked contender and fighting Demetrius Johnson in a main event. Nobody cares about that fighter, nobody cares about the fight, then nobody cares for the title.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zombie vs. Edgar went exactly how I thought it would. Time for Frankie to look for fun fights I think. Dominick Cruz or a Faber rematch if it's 135 (Faber did him the honours of fighting at 145 last time), then there's fights with Guida, Pettis, Sanchez, Lauzon etc if he gives up on the title dream and just takes fights at 155. Think I'd prefer that. Anybody need to see a kid like Sandhagen box Frankie's ears off until he ducks into a knee? As a big fan I'd love to see him win 3 "fun" fights, get to 20 UFC wins and knock it on the head. Fuck it, drag the corpse of Gray Maynard back and do part 4.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to see Frankie Edgar v Diego Sanchez.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Jacare said fuck LHW and is now back to MW with a fight against Uriah Hall on the horizon.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was a short sighted decision to go up, particularly against a guy tough to look good against. He's got about a year to put together 3 fights and get a title shot before his prime is completely behind him, this is a good one as he'll finish Hall or get knocked out.

Woodley vs. Edwards in London. Woodley got shut out by Usman so there's no big shout for a rematch, but if he wins that and Usman beats Masvidal then there's no other option really. Smart fight for him to take.
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; December 26th, 2019 at 11:52 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you read that? I was planning on going to that card and would love to see a decent name fight on it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was a short sighted decision to go up, particularly against a guy tough to look good against. He's got about a year to put together 3 fights and get a title shot before his prime is completely behind him, this is a good one as he'll finish Hall or get knocked out.

Woodley vs. Edwards in London. Woodley got shut out by Usman so there's no big shout for a rematch, but if he wins that and Usman beats Masvidal then there's no other option really. Smart fight for him to take.

Definitely. 2 guys in the top 6, a win for either would almost certainly put them in the challenger role for whoever comes out of Usman/Masvidal.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reported by MMAJunkie, confirmed by Woodley himself. Interested to see if they add Till in a co-main, would be nice to have a couple of big fights in Blighty.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reported by MMAJunkie, confirmed by Woodley himself. Interested to see if they add Till in a co-main, would be nice to have a couple of big fights in Blighty.
    Tremendous.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Till v. Mike Perry

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Till would murder Mike Perry. Considering the 185lb picture, Jack the Joker would make sense and obviously be an all-European fight too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Till would murder Mike Perry. Considering the 185lb picture, Jack the Joker would make sense and obviously be an all-European fight too.
    Ah, spaced that Till is now MW. Ever since that "Spa v. Spar" clip circulated around the internet I've wanted to see them throw down in a weird way.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could Lando Vannata be champion in the next 3 years? @ 155

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No chance.

The PFL's second season finished last night. I have no idea how the model is sustainable, but that's not up to me to go over the accounts. Basically went to plot this year, with the 2 champions retaining, their prospective star from the first season in Cooper III winning, the finisher at 205 winning, the unbeaten HW winning, and finally Kayla Harrison closing undefeated and winning her final. Maybe it's a format that works as the narrative grows, if it gets the time to.

Going into the third season, you have the prospect of two three-peats, two tournaments where the champion has to remain undefeated to retain their crown, and Cooper III vs. Rory would be a big fight. I hope they can get some more names to be honest, somebody like Mike Perry would be crazy in that format. The way I see it, good veterans who won't ever break the top 10 in the UFC, and blue chip prospects who haven't built their names yet, should be looking at PFL as the top option. $1 million for 5 fights in around 8 months. A televised record padder too if you want to move straight into a decent spot in UFC or Bellator.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't get over how bad the McGregor/Cowboy main card is. I can see what they're doing with the ESPN2 prelims, looking to get Yusuff, Dawson, Naqparast and especially Barber wins on a high profile event, but woof on the quality below. There's 2 PPV openers on it (Holm/Pennington and Pettis/Ferreira), the other 2 wouldn't have graced 245's TV prelims. Economically it's a great move as Conor will sell regardless, but there's not a lot of meat on the bones.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't get over how bad the McGregor/Cowboy main card is. I can see what they're doing with the ESPN2 prelims, looking to get Yusuff, Dawson, Naqparast and especially Barber wins on a high profile event, but woof on the quality below. There's 2 PPV openers on it (Holm/Pennington and Pettis/Ferreira), the other 2 wouldn't have graced 245's TV prelims. Economically it's a great move as Conor will sell regardless, but there's not a lot of meat on the bones.
    Idk man you have 2 super popular fighters in Pettis and Holm. It's a McGregor comeback v another super popular fighter. Like a boxing card the main event is what people are paying for, everyone else is getting serious exposure. Definitely looking forward to the top 3 fights. More than I can say about some of the other cards over the last year or 2.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're looking forward to Holm vs. Pennington? Got snoozer written all over it, like the first fight. Pettis' fight is a good one, they're all actually decent fights (heavyweights aside, though I guess they're playing the odds for a finish), but there's nothing to truly get people excited. Look how many ranked fighters were on 245 compared to this. Though I guess that being stacked helped because Kamaru Usman was headlining. I guess they're hamstrung by not being able to have title fights underneath Conor too, otherwise I imagine they'd have wanted one of the flyweight belts as co-main. I

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're looking forward to Holm vs. Pennington? Got snoozer written all over it, like the first fight. Pettis' fight is a good one, they're all actually decent fights (heavyweights aside, though I guess they're playing the odds for a finish), but there's nothing to truly get people excited. Look how many ranked fighters were on 245 compared to this. Though I guess that being stacked helped because Kamaru Usman was headlining. I guess they're hamstrung by not being able to have title fights underneath Conor too, otherwise I imagine they'd have wanted one of the flyweight belts as co-main. I
    Their first fight was forever ago though and wasn't that Holly coming off a neck injury? I guess I could see both not pulling the trigger but it's been probably since they fought last when Holly had a weak fight.

The thing is 245 needed all that beef because all of them combined is a third of McGregor v Cerrone. This card just needed a few extra decent names and it's fighters who more often than not bring fire.

Personally I'm not sleeping on Gadelha v Grasso. Extremely talented and beautiful women fighters. It could be a good back and forth. Just not exactly a title contender bout at the moment.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I didn't realize that the FLYWEIGHT championship has been vacated by the Cringe King. UFC Norfolk, Feb 29th, Joseph Benavidez v. Deiveson Figueiredo will headline for the vacant title. I'm a little sad we won't get a rematch with Jose against Cejudo considering it was a split decision win for Joe 3-4 years ago. I'm not familiar whatsoever with Figueiredo. Honestly, looking at this card so far I only Benavidez and Marcin Tybura. Everyone else I may have seen and just don't remember at all.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figueiredo is unique in that he has knockout power at the weight class. He's good but not great, the type of fighter Benavidez would beat if he's in his prime. At 35 and after a big injury he's lost a step from his peak performances, but I'd say he's still good enough to win. I hope so anyway, it would be tragic if the guy never wins a title when he's without dispute a top 3 flyweight of all time, and with slightly more dispute a possible top 10 all time at bantamweight as well. If you were to compile a top 10 of fighters between 125-145 all time, he's on it I'd say. Yet he's the only one who has never held a world title.

Mighty Mouse, Benavidez, Cruz, Cejudo, Faber, Dillashaw, Aldo, McGregor, Holloway and Edgar would be my top 10 by the way.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at future cards - the way the UFC is laying cards out lately is infuriating. Using the Anderson vs. Jan card for example - on the prelims of that card you've got a top prospect in Nathaniel Wood getting his first top 15 opportunity against John Dodson, a legend in Jim Miller fighting Scott Holtzman (despite Miller chasing and setting new records every fight), former champion Nicco Montana (yeah, I know) against a TUF winner in Macy Chiason, and former title challenger Ray Borg fighting top 10 Rogerio Bontorin. The first 4 fights on the main card? Vannata vs. Medieros (fair enough), followed by Brok Weaver (who?) vs. Kazula Vargas (who?), De La Rosa vs. Borella (barely knowns coming off losses) and 2 losers at light heavyweight in Clark and Antigulov. Considering the pacing of these shows, why is dross like that happening so late. If you're fighting early on TV cards, it's basically telling the fans it doesn't matter. But those fights DO matter, and the main card fights don't. What are they thinking? What metrics are they using to quantify putting Devin Clark in a prominent position over Nathaniel Wood or Jim Miller? I'm a big fight fan, but I can't be staying up late watching meaningless fights anymore, but if Jim Miller or big prospects are fighting, maybe I'll stay tuned in throughout. Besides the last prelim being a better fight than the first main card fight (for selling reasons), all cards should build to a crescendo. Worst fight first, best fight last, and progressing in between.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of hard to predict what fight would be the worst lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of prestige, obviously. Fighters that have popularity and/or a ranking should fight after unknown and unranked fighters, unless there is genuine title/star potential. Not Devin Clark of all folk.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In terms of prestige, obviously. Fighters that have popularity and/or a ranking should fight after unknown and unranked fighters, unless there is genuine title/star potential. Not Devin Clark of all folk.
    Oh yeah I totally get that putting people with a name above an unknown could be smarter. But the reality is sometimes fighters with a name have to take a backseat to build up other names. Or they get put in a spot to draw people in to that particular platform. Like when they put Faber on the prelims, they wanted to draw people in to FS1. I'll be honest, I'm not getting Fight Pass to see Devin Clark fight on the prelims but I did get it once to see Diego Sanchez fight on the Fight Pass prelims lol.

I agree about unranked fighters getting a spot above ranked fighters. Unless that unranked fighter is someone like Nick Diaz or GSP then yeah you need to showcase that rankings do matter more often than not.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dominick Cruz says he hopes to fight within 6 months. Surely him against Frankie Edgar, that to me is a massive legend fight. Bantamweight is so stacked at the moment. Aldo, Moraes, Sandhagen, Yan and Sterling all on the bubble of a title shot. Then you've got Garbrandt fighting Assauncao and Vera vs. Rivera on the bottom end of the top 10.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dominick Cruz says he hopes to fight within 6 months. Surely him against Frankie Edgar, that to me is a massive legend fight. Bantamweight is so stacked at the moment. Aldo, Moraes, Sandhagen, Yan and Sterling all on the bubble of a title shot. Then you've got Garbrandt fighting Assauncao and Vera vs. Rivera on the bottom end of the top 10.
    While I wasn't high on his persona change after the 7th injury kept him out of the mix, it's hard to deny his skill level. I'm sure he'd love to fight within 6 months but can his body hold up in camp? I'm with you....Cruz v. Edgar. Get it while you can because Cruz is made of glass and Edgar's time to step away is closer than even he wants to admit.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://m.sherdog.com/news/news/Anth...lection-168729

WTF is this bullshit? Anthony Pettis suing USADA, the UFC, etc because he cut his hand on a childproof container of piss while screwing on the lid...........

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adesanya vs. Romero for the title at UFC 248. Big Romero fan, but not a fan of him getting a title fight coming off 2 (admittedly razor thin) losses. It's getting to the point where the UFC should just have their own judges and have fights that go to the time limit be declared a draw for the official sporting records. Between this and the prospective Aldo title fight. Especially when Jared Cannonier is fighting on the same card! HOWEVER, the fight is a fucking awesome styles clash considering Romero's power and durability and Adesanya's pinpoint accuracy and question marks over his chin.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right on cue, Cejudo vs. Aldo reportedly headlining UFC 250 in Sao Paulo. Guessing they chuck Nunes in the co-main against Aldana, or at featherweight against Megan Anderson if she comes through her fight in February unscathed. Rumours that Stipe Miocic is struggling with eye injuries still so the hand might be forced in doing another fight for the heavyweight title, interim or otherwise.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely there aren’t question marks over Adesanya’s chin?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainly that he has been knocked out in kickboxing and dropped in MMA. Shown vulnerability I guess would have been a greater description.

I think the Woodley vs. Edwards fight has pretty much confirmed Usman vs. Masvidal for the title, or Kamaru gets benched for a bit. Conor vs. Masvidal would be striking while the iron's hot, but the Masvidal title fight would be big too. For me, my ideal McGregor booking is against Poirier or Gaethje, in Croke Park on the eve of Euro 2020, June 6th maybe. All these gates records are all well and good, but I want to see the attendance record smashed. I think you have to do Masvidal or a title fight in Vegas or MSG because of time zones, but this next fight they can have a bit of fun with.

Ideally:

Cejudo vs. Aldo gets Nunes chief support in Brazil in May
    McGregor vs. Poirier 2 in June
    Usman vs. Masvidal and Volkanovski title defence in July for International fight week
    Jones vs. Anderson/Jan winner and one of the other women title fights in August
    Miocic vs. Cormier 3 with the flyweights in September
    Adesanya/Romero vs. Costa and the other women's title in October
    MSG with the lightweight title fight
    Last PPV of the year with welterweight, Nunes and bantamweight title fights

Gonna be a good year.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainly that he has been knocked out in kickboxing and dropped in MMA. Shown vulnerability I guess would have been a greater description.

I think the Woodley vs. Edwards fight has pretty much confirmed Usman vs. Masvidal for the title, or Kamaru gets benched for a bit. Conor vs. Masvidal would be striking while the iron's hot, but the Masvidal title fight would be big too. For me, my ideal McGregor booking is against Poirier or Gaethje, in Croke Park on the eve of Euro 2020, June 6th maybe. All these gates records are all well and good, but I want to see the attendance record smashed. I think you have to do Masvidal or a title fight in Vegas or MSG because of time zones, but this next fight they can have a bit of fun with.

Ideally:

Cejudo vs. Aldo gets Nunes chief support in Brazil in May
    McGregor vs. Poirier 2 in June
    Usman vs. Masvidal and Volkanovski title defence in July for International fight week
    Jones vs. Anderson/Jan winner and one of the other women title fights in August
    Miocic vs. Cormier 3 with the flyweights in September
    Adesanya/Romero vs. Costa and the other women's title in October
    MSG with the lightweight title fight
    Last PPV of the year with welterweight, Nunes and bantamweight title fights

Gonna be a good year.
    The only negative I have for Conor v. Poirier is that it's another dude coming off a loss. Regardless if it was a title fight. Gaethje is the guy imo. 3 fight winning streak, super violent and entertaining, likes to talk a bunch of weird shit.

And I'll be honest....Kind of on Conor's side and others when saying the Khabib-Tony fight is 3 months away and I don't think it'll happen. Wish I didn't feel that way, but 4 times and they couldn't pull it off. It's such a snake bitten match up that Tony tore his fucking ACL tripping over a cord!! Who does that shit? Kevin Nash type shit lol.

Loving a lot of those fights you're putting out there but damn some seem so far away.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a hope in hell that they give Conor a rematch of a fight that he already won handily. It’ll be the Khabib/Tony replacement, the winner, Masvidal or Usman, with Justin being a distant outsider.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weirdly, Kavanagh is saying his own preference is Conor vs. Gaethje at 170lbs. My guess is that they give it until the end of February to see if the Khabib vs. Ferguson fight breaks down, then at that point they'll book something for June/July. He's not stepping in on less than 6 weeks notice for that fight, just for the pure economics of it. God I hope that fight doesn't break down. The Gaethje fight would make sense given the style match-up for Conor, he'd fancy it given who has beat Justin in the past, and it would legitimise the title shot for later in the year. I think he knows the chances of beating Usman are slim, which leaves Masvidal as a possibility but very much an eggs in one basket situation as it'd leave Usman without a dance partner.

Khabib vs. Tony faces Conor vs. Gaethje winner
    Poirier faces Felder vs. Hooker winner
    Lee vs. Olivera winner faces a loser from the top 2 fights
    Ferreira vs. Felder/Hooker loser
    Cowboy vs. Pettis
    Iaquinta vs. Hernandez faces Gillespie vs. Makhachev winner

Great division. So many fan friendly fighters in that bunch.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the idea is he wants to stay at 170 then he needs to fight dudes at 170 to get that WW title shot. If the idea is to get that 155 strap again with a Khabib rematch, Gaethje is a great start. Why not put that as the co-main for Khabib/Ferguson? Shit when was the last time Conor wasn't the main event? The Poirier fight?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UFN 166 tomorrow night headlined by my favorite HW JDS v. Curtis Blaydes. I hope JDS gets the win. I really want to see him with the gold again.

Good co-main event, Chiesa v. Dos Anjos. Chiesa on a 2-fight winning steak against 2 serial killers (Diego and Carlos) and RDA isn't doing his best but he's been fighting nothing but top tier dudes so losing isn't exactly the end of the world when it's the guys you share a top 10 ranking with .

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blaydes is one of my least favourite fighters, just based on how fucking smart the dude is in his approach to fighting. Doesn't do it to entertain, indulges in knowing that his easiest path to victory is pretty boring and makes no excuses for pursuing that. Good for him, but I like mad cunts in this game, within legal limits of course. BUSHIDO spirit and all that shit. Hopefully JDS knocks his hairline back to a reasonable level, but I think his pressure exhausts Junior and he'll get stopped in the championship rounds. I can see it being like that Miocic vs. Hunt fight a few years back where the seasoned striker just couldn't get a shot in because of the volume and wrestling.

Chiesa vs. dos Anjos is a great fight. RDA might be the most unloved fighter on the planet for how good he is. He's lost to Leon Edwards (we'll see how good he is in March), Eddie Alvarez, and the 2 combatants in the next lightweight title fight and the last welterweight title fight. He's won the other 14 fights in his last 20. Henderson, Diaz, Pettis, Cerrone is one of the all time great win streaks. He's class. Potentially might be on the downward trajectory of a great career now though. Chiesa looks good at the weight, but Condit and Diego hardly have a good win between them in years. His length and pressure will be a challenge for RDA, but he's not Tony Ferguson on the feet and his wrestling isn't Khabib's or Usman's. Basically, RDA has seen everything, is the better fighter, and will be good enough to win if he's got it left in the tank.

Arnold Allen vs. Nik Lentz buried on the prelims for some reason, so we can watch Angela Hill lose again. Allen is 6-0 in the UFC, a person of interest to say the least, hopefully he can get a finish and move on to a top 10 opponent, like was scheduled on this card against Josh Emett. Lentz surely drained to fuck at featherweight nowadays.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blaydes is one of my least favourite fighters, just based on how fucking smart the dude is in his approach to fighting. Doesn't do it to entertain, indulges in knowing that his easiest path to victory is pretty boring and makes no excuses for pursuing that. Good for him, but I like mad cunts in this game, within legal limits of course. BUSHIDO spirit and all that shit. Hopefully JDS knocks his hairline back to a reasonable level, but I think his pressure exhausts Junior and he'll get stopped in the championship rounds. I can see it being like that Miocic vs. Hunt fight a few years back where the seasoned striker just couldn't get a shot in because of the volume and wrestling.

Chiesa vs. dos Anjos is a great fight. RDA might be the most unloved fighter on the planet for how good he is. He's lost to Leon Edwards (we'll see how good he is in March), Eddie Alvarez, and the 2 combatants in the next lightweight title fight and the last welterweight title fight. He's won the other 14 fights in his last 20. Henderson, Diaz, Pettis, Cerrone is one of the all time great win streaks. He's class. Potentially might be on the downward trajectory of a great career now though. Chiesa looks good at the weight, but Condit and Diego hardly have a good win between them in years. His length and pressure will be a challenge for RDA, but he's not Tony Ferguson on the feet and his wrestling isn't Khabib's or Usman's. Basically, RDA has seen everything, is the better fighter, and will be good enough to win if he's got it left in the tank.

Arnold Allen vs. Nik Lentz buried on the prelims for some reason, so we can watch Angela Hill lose again. Allen is 6-0 in the UFC, a person of interest to say the least, hopefully he can get a finish and move on to a top 10 opponent, like was scheduled on this card against Josh Emett. Lentz surely drained to fuck at featherweight nowadays.
    And sadly, I think if Chiesa does beat RDA people will somehow diminish that win and say "RDA hasn't been consistent since he fought Cowboy". BUT WITH THAT SAID, you're 100% on Diego and Carlos but Carlos is one of my top 3 of all time (Right behind BJ and Liddell) so I have to give the guys who beat him love especially if they finish him.

LOL about Blaydes because even when he finishes people I often think damn it took forever to get that finish. Like the Overeem fight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty frustrating card. RDA just couldn't keep Chiesa off him. His takedown defence just isn't good enough in close. His sprawl is great, but once it's in close and in the second and third transitions of grappling, he's left wanting. Chiesa came in with a great gameplan, a template of RDA's recent defeats, and got it done. I like the idea of the Covington fight to be honest, the welterweight division is basically seperated now by people that can stop the wrestling and those that can't. Maia, at this rate, will return to the top 5 in such a grapple-centric division.

Blaydes was just too much man for dos Santos at this point. Essentially, he is JDS's kryptonite. Wrestler so Junior brings the hands down, then he just gets fucking nailed because he's not very static and ends up on the fence too much. Happened against everybody with a genuine wrestling threat against him the last few years. Clear hierarchy for Blaydes being behind Ngannou, so he basically needs Francis to lose at some point to get himself a title shot.
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; January 26th, 2020 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty excited for Jones v. Reyes. Nobody is unbeatable, and Jones was looking pretty human in his last fight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Santos fight was really strange. Like I've no idea what to take from it. Jones, usually known for his fight IQ, basically gave Santos as good a chance as possible to win with how he approached that fight. It was a great watch, and he did prevail in Santos' wheelhouse for five rounds, but he nearly threw it away. My feel in this fight is that the 7 months off and Reyes being undefeated will have him mentally at his best. That should be enough, even though I expect his physical abilities to decline a bit. He'll find the path of least resistance and dominate I think.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JDS is pretty much the gatekeeper for the heavyweight divison. He won't be competing for title shots anymore. Dude was a beast when he first came in though.

I really can't see Jones losing, but anything can happen really after JJ's last match. Should be exciting.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JuveLeo View Post
    JDS is pretty much the gatekeeper for the heavyweight divison. He won't be competing for title shots anymore. Dude was a beast when he first came in though.

I really can't see Jones losing, but anything can happen really after JJ's last match. Should be exciting.
    I want to agree about JDS' gatekeeper status but I don't know. HW is so easy to get back in the title mix. Frank Mir had like 4 title shots, most after simply getting 1 or 2 wins in a row. The Blaydes loss hurts JDS' standings but he's still top 5 imo. This was a big win for Blaydes who only has 2 losses, to the same dude (Ngannou). But I really don't know what's next for JDS. This was the most active he's been in 6 years with 3 fights within 12 months but losing 2 of them by (T)KO.

I can't see Jones losing either but we're on the same page about that last fight making it a little easier to think anything could happen here. I just don't know enough about Reyes to commit but I didn't know much about Santos either.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usman vs. Masvidal announced for International Fight Week. Guessing that'll be a stacked one, can see them repeating the 245 three piece up top, with Nunes and Volkanovski both defending. Or possibly the 115 or 125 champion instead if they fancy a reasonable turn around. They're at a bit of an embarassment of riches at the minute - there's surely no way a Jones fight, a Masvidal fight, a Conor fight, a Cormier fight, an Adesanya fight or a Khabib fight (if it's not against Conor obviously) share top billing on a card, so they'll likely have a run of big time cards July through the end of the year. Possibility Cormier vs. Miocic sneaks in in June, otherwise they'll have to double it up with Jones (back out around August or September?), Adesanya (September or October?) or Conor challenging for the title (October if it's Ferguson in Vegas, November if it's Khabib at MSG). This is helped by this stupid double champ thing dying down (Nunes holding the pointless 145 title notwithstanding), as there's going to be 11 champions fighting at least twice a year each, with only 12 PPV's on the dock, and the star quality of the line up of champions and top contenders only really compares to around 2009 when it was Brock, undefeated Machida, GOAT Anderson, still exciting GSP and motivated prime BJ Penn.

Think about this - the champions at the minute (and let's assume that Jones and Valentina retain and Benavidez wins the flyweight title, and add a win to their slate) have UFC records of: 13-3 (two losses avenged), 20-1 1NC (the loss a nonsense DQ), 7-0, 11-0, 12-0, 8-0, 9-2 (one loss avenged, other to another champion), 16-3 (2 losses to Demetrious, one a controversial split), 12-1, 7-2 (losses to other champion) and 4-0. 119-12 with 1 no contest. Eliminating contests between each other, 116-9. This is an insanely good group of champions.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usman vs. Masvidal announced for International Fight Week. Guessing that'll be a stacked one, can see them repeating the 245 three piece up top, with Nunes and Volkanovski both defending. Or possibly the 115 or 125 champion instead if they fancy a reasonable turn around. They're at a bit of an embarassment of riches at the minute - there's surely no way a Jones fight, a Masvidal fight, a Conor fight, a Cormier fight, an Adesanya fight or a Khabib fight (if it's not against Conor obviously) share top billing on a card, so they'll likely have a run of big time cards July through the end of the year. Possibility Cormier vs. Miocic sneaks in in June, otherwise they'll have to double it up with Jones (back out around August or September?), Adesanya (September or October?) or Conor challenging for the title (October if it's Ferguson in Vegas, November if it's Khabib at MSG). This is helped by this stupid double champ thing dying down (Nunes holding the pointless 145 title notwithstanding), as there's going to be 11 champions fighting at least twice a year each, with only 12 PPV's on the dock, and the star quality of the line up of champions and top contenders only really compares to around 2009 when it was Brock, undefeated Machida, GOAT Anderson, still exciting GSP and motivated prime BJ Penn.

Think about this - the champions at the minute (and let's assume that Jones and Valentina retain and Benavidez wins the flyweight title, and add a win to their slate) have UFC records of: 13-3 (two losses avenged), 20-1 1NC (the loss a nonsense DQ), 7-0, 11-0, 12-0, 8-0, 9-2 (one loss avenged, other to another champion), 16-3 (2 losses to Demetrious, one a controversial split), 12-1, 7-2 (losses to other champion) and 4-0. 119-12 with 1 no contest. Eliminating contests between each other, 116-9. This is an insanely good group of champions.
    I want to see Masvidal beat the brakes off Usman but it is sometimes very hard to go against a style like Usman has. I'm surprised the fight isn't going down until July but I assume that's because Usman is hurt.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the UFC business strategy, isn't it. Khabib vs. Ferguson is in April, and there's no way that card gets a fight as big as Usman vs. Masvidal as co-main. They go to Brazil in May, which is generally a nationalistic title fight and card. Once you get to June, you may as well hold off until July and do it in Vegas for International Fight Week. Guessing June is Miocic vs. Cormier at this rate.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the UFC business strategy, isn't it. Khabib vs. Ferguson is in April, and there's no way that card gets a fight as big as Usman vs. Masvidal as co-main. They go to Brazil in May, which is generally a nationalistic title fight and card. Once you get to June, you may as well hold off until July and do it in Vegas for International Fight Week. Guessing June is Miocic vs. Cormier at this rate.
    I am curious if they're actually going to do Stipe v. Cormier. Seems like some bitch shit is going on between them where Stipe is playing games due to the way the last fight materialized. Stipe is just a weird dude. I remember his interview saying simply because he was the HW champion he should be the highest paid fighter in the company. I know this started with him finding out Overeem made more money than he did in their fight, so idk who explains the business to this man but they suck lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be dumb if they didn't, it's the most natural trilogy fight of all time I'd say. Maybe Stipe's waiting to see if Ngannou MDK's Rozenstruik and gets a buzz about him, considering Francis isn't likely to scratch his eyeball to pieces if they fight. Either way, for me it's the trilogy fight in June then there's time to fit in Ngannou in November or December. Saying that, I've just noticed that that Corey vs. Jan is only a week after Jones vs. Reyes, maybe the winners get a quick turnaround and fight on the June PPV. There isn't much hype to Jones' fights against this new turnover of light heavyweights, but you still can't have the GOAT as a co-main event fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be dumb if they didn't, it's the most natural trilogy fight of all time I'd say. Maybe Stipe's waiting to see if Ngannou MDK's Rozenstruik and gets a buzz about him, considering Francis isn't likely to scratch his eyeball to pieces if they fight. Either way, for me it's the trilogy fight in June then there's time to fit in Ngannou in November or December. Saying that, I've just noticed that that Corey vs. Jan is only a week after Jones vs. Reyes, maybe the winners get a quick turnaround and fight on the June PPV. There isn't much hype to Jones' fights against this new turnover of light heavyweights, but you still can't have the GOAT as a co-main event fight.
    Yeah Jones on the co-main would be weird. Maybe that May Brazil card headlined by Jones-winner of Corey/Jan? I agree about the hype for Jones v. the newer LHW's that have been kind of waiting for the old guard to fade completely. But I don't really see anyone headlining that Brazil card that's from there without it being a total shit card. UFC 237 wasn't exactly memorable lol. Maybe do that ridiculous Cejudo-Aldo fight as the co-main?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That ridiculous Cejudo vs. Aldo fight will almost certainly main event. Regardless of circumstance, it's an all time great trying to become champion in a second weight class. Plus, it's Brazil - they've kind of given up on the place in regard to big fights because the economy isn't great, so they'll have Cejudo/Aldo, at a push Nunes co-main, and they'll drag out the remains of Anderson, Shogun, Little Nog and Werdum to fill the rest of the card.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That ridiculous Cejudo vs. Aldo fight will almost certainly main event. Regardless of circumstance, it's an all time great trying to become champion in a second weight class. Plus, it's Brazil - they've kind of given up on the place in regard to big fights because the economy isn't great, so they'll have Cejudo/Aldo, at a push Nunes co-main, and they'll drag out the remains of Anderson, Shogun, Little Nog and Werdum to fill the rest of the card.
    Yeah it's unfortunate that 135 is so thin that he's getting a shot basically due to Cejudo just beating the guy Aldo lost to 7 months ago.

So could we predict Jones defending again in June?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    135's not neccessarily thin, it's just they see Cejudo as a PPV main eventer, and Sterling, Yan or a Moraes rematch wouldn't draw flies to shit at this point. Do Yan vs. Sterling on a big PPV card (Ferguson vs. Khabib?) and then the winner of that will have steam to face the winner of Cejudo vs. Aldo, which isn't a foregone conclusion. Odd man out is Moraes, but he can fight Sandhagen. Edgar vs. Cruz later in the year too please.

I'd say a Jones defence is a possiblity for June. Considering it'll be against Jan or Corey, I don't think there's much point letting that one marinate for half a year. Obviously depends if he just blows through Reyes too. Saying that, if he does, he's going to call out Stipe I bet. Imagine that, him putting a stop to Cormier's story book ending by jumping in line. Sounds about right for Jones!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    135's not neccessarily thin, it's just they see Cejudo as a PPV main eventer, and Sterling, Yan or a Moraes rematch wouldn't draw flies to shit at this point. Do Yan vs. Sterling on a big PPV card (Ferguson vs. Khabib?) and then the winner of that will have steam to face the winner of Cejudo vs. Aldo, which isn't a foregone conclusion. Odd man out is Moraes, but he can fight Sandhagen. Edgar vs. Cruz later in the year too please.

I'd say a Jones defence is a possiblity for June. Considering it'll be against Jan or Corey, I don't think there's much point letting that one marinate for half a year. Obviously depends if he just blows through Reyes too. Saying that, if he does, he's going to call out Stipe I bet. Imagine that, him putting a stop to Cormier's story book ending by jumping in line. Sounds about right for Jones!
    Yeah I was just saying it was thin the sense that the division doesn't have a line forming that people want to see. I'll be honest, I don't think people want to see Cejudo either other than super hardcore MMA fans. I could be wrong. He just tries so hard and he comes across as someone who's accomplishments are lost in the nonsense.

Yeah, Jones calling out Stipe not only to make a super fight but to stick it to Cormier would be right up Jones' alley lol. And since Cormier was aiming for that Lesnar fight for so long instead of giving Stipe what he wanted, I could see Stipe playing the game as well. And if I'm Stipe, why wouldn't I want to fight Jones?