User Tag List

Page 2 of 137 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope Tito loses and gets released, the wanker.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OD50 View Post
    Dana White threatens to ban Tapout for Fedor t-shirt.
    http://mrjamesryan.com/2010/06/27/uf...rt-production/

Go get 'em Dana, U da man.

He did the same when RVCA (BJ's sponsor) produced Fedor shirts for the Brett Rogers fight.
    What a moron .. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. It's not like his fighters are gonna be wearing the Fedor shirt in the cage or anything. I'm not even sure how it makes sense, considering a big chunk of the fighters in the UFC are sponsored by Tapout and are contractually obligated to wear their shirts/hats after the fight ..

Hero From The Beyond UncannyIowan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I still don't get to this day is how Dana can pull these things off with the approval of the Fertittas.....Blame my lack of knowledge about how the corporate structuring of that company works but it's pretty fucking disrespectful to threaten Tapout of all companies with any type of ban. 90% of the time I could give a fuck less about DW but when it comes to certain stuff like this I just can't help but get sick to my stomach.

Here you have a company, who's leader died in a horrible car crash last year, who's been around MMA longer than Dana White ever thought about the sport, they've supported the UFC when only the likes of Jim's Fishing Tackle and Kay-Bee Toy Stores would sponser their events, and you want to threaten them for making a t-shirt?

This is old ass news that I think we already ranted about, but damn it fired me up again just seeing the post OD made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll guarantee you that Dana threatened these guys when they pulled out of negotiations with the UFC. He told them that if they didn't sign with them, they he would make them regret it.

It's all about hurting Fedor at this point. It's petty and it's stupid, because it's pissing fans off, but he is getting what he wants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I mean had Dana just shut the fuck up, be professional, he would have Fedor. I think that while all the co-promotion shit is definitely a major factor in the dealings between Zuffa and M-1, what it really came down to was DW's disrespect.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Fedor is already a multi-millionaire, losing the Tapout shirt deal means shit to him financially. There are tons of fighters in the UFC and WEC that a potential Tapout ban would effect tremendously though.

Petty, petty man that Uncle Fester.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about what I mentioned .. aren't some of the fighters sponsored by and therefore obligated to wear their gear after their fight? Ya know how every fighter and his team pull a shirt over his head and throw a cap on his head like he's a human billboard .. ???

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    If Dana bans them the fighter will have to get another sponsor. You don't see anyone wearing Clinch Gear in the UFC anymore for example. The UFC decides what sponsors their fighters are allowed to have, period.

All sponsors must pay $100,000 to the UFC as well to be allowed to sponsor any of their fighters.

I think Dana banned RVCA when they did the Fedor shirt. RVCA is also BJ Penn's sponsor. But I believe he was like 'Fuck that homey' and wore the gear anyway.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I was wondering about that cuz BJ has been wearing RVCA for a while now ..

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Come to think of it BJ was wearing Cagefighter in a couple of his recent fights. At UFC 112 he was back in RVCA though. I guess he didn't say ''fuck that homey'' to Uncle Dana after all.

/Here's a special treat to get our MMAte Torn excited:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo1cUMWp7Ro"]YouTube- Mir vs Nogueira 2 Trailer[/ame]

Vid by NickTheFace.
    Last edited by OD50; July 27th, 2010 at 6:02 PM.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just getting caught up on the last few pages of news.

Rampage will almost certainly be kicked to death by Machida. That’s a bad match up for him and I can see why he tried to avoid it.

UFC 121 is ridiculous. There are fights that will undoubtedly land on the prelims that I seriously hope get aired because I want to see them. Sam Stout!

Tito vs. Hamil is interesting. I’m not sure who wins that one. I guess I would lean toward Hamil given Tito’s age and recent injury history but if a fully healthy Tito shows up, he should probably win. It's a tough call.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is surely no way that Rampage can beat Machida standing, he is a perfect match for Machida's style. He's slower than Lyoto and if Rashad can get in and out without taking damage then Machida can, that is his game. Wonder if Rampage will go back to his roots and try and dump Machida on his head instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Rampage's performance against Rashad should not factor into our opinions of how he'll fair against Machida. He won't be off for a year and some, he won't have to lose 70 pounds or whatever he gained for the A-Team. I'm hoping he does go old school, use his wrestling and powerbomb Machida a few times to tire dude out. It's going to be a great fight, one that I've been wanting to see.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wish I was convinced that Rampage had a chance because I REALLY want him to win I just don't see it against Lyoto. I hate the thought of him losing two fights in a row.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    I wish I was convinced that Rampage had a chance because I REALLY want him to win I just don't see it against Lyoto. I hate the thought of him losing two fights in a row.
    The good thing is, well, the flipside at least, is that if he does lose, he will have lost to the last 2 LHW champions and there's no shame in that. Especially when it would be against 2 guys who just suffered their first loss in 2009 after racking some of the most impressive victories the LHW division has seen in years.

IDK though, Lyoto hasn't fought a guy like Rampage and even though I do like Lyoto's chances, but Rampage is crazy. I could see Rampage knocking dude out, but I'm thinking Machida by decision. Machida will probably be more tentative now post-Shogun knockout, I'm tellin ya, that first knock out puts these guys in safe mode. GSP is a prime example, Bisping fights a lot safer now post-UFC 100, Rashad is back to a more wrestling based style, and I expect the same from Machida-for him to go back to his style pre-Tito Ortiz until he feels comfortable with destroying....

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by UncannyIowan View Post
    I'm tellin ya, that first knock out puts these guys in safe mode.
    Can ya blame them?

I've been knocked out before, but not in front of 18K+. I'd definitely be fighting to win/survive/not get KTFO, fuck what the internet spastics are bitching about.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by blackening; July 28th, 2010 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Now here is something weird. Shane Carwin vs. Brock Lesnar Manga..

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Belcher is out of the Maia fight .. eye surgery ..

http://yfrog.com/0jzp6z

Confirmed. Detached retina.

Someone call Chris Leben.
    Last edited by Dubya; August 1st, 2010 at 3:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, too many solid fighters getting injured, pulling out of fights.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spike TV will broadcast UFC 122 on same-day tape delay. Nice 2 free events!

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My internet went down for a day but I read on the ole blogs that moron Snowden wants Bones to fight.....wait for it......CHUCK LIDDELL

What a pointless fight. Bones would destroy him.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we could use the time-space continum and bring back prime Chucky, that would be a pretty good fight.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could just imagine Jamstars face as Bones suplexed Liddell and started landing his elbows

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Cash View Post
    My internet went down for a day but I read on the ole blogs that moron Snowden wants Bones to fight.....wait for it......CHUCK LIDDELL

What a pointless fight. Bones would destroy him.

Yeah, weak chin against devastating elbows. Only really makes any sense if they want to elevate Jones by having him destroy a legend.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=328677

Silva claims that he wants to stay at 185lbs from now on. We all questioned whether 170lbs was physically possible but I would be really surprised if he didn't fight at 205lbs again at some point.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He looked HUGE before the Maia fight. Not just typical inbetween fights Andy fat either. he was buff as hell. That to me suggests retirement is not too far off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavrilo Princip View Post
    Only really makes any sense if they want to elevate Jones by having him destroy a legend.
    There would be no significant elevation in the destruction of a fighter who has been roundly trounced in 5 of his last 6 fights, no matter how big a name he is.
    The UFC fans aren't that stupid and I doubt anyone expects to see him fight anyone outside the top ten. He's probably closer to fighting the top five by now really.
    Chuck shouldn't fight ever again, nevermind being set up as cannon fodder for a young brute like Jon Jones.

I'm interested to see who they offer JJ next. I'd like to see him fight the loser of Rampage/Machida but that's probably too big a step for DW to consider...
    Nothing to lose really though.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only problem with giving him the loser of Rampage/Machida is .. that fights too far away. Jones could/should fight again very soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the free UFC 122 card if they can find a decent opponent. Hopefully Thiago Silva is good to go soon cuz I still think he makes a great opponent for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I imagine he would fight again before then, but I'd expect to see him up against that calibre fairly soon.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana White has said that he's not sure who Jon Jones will fight next cuz all the top LHW are matched up or injured .. he specifically mentioned Forrest, Thiago, and Rich as "on the shelf"

..he did say that the winner of Lil' Nog / Ryan Bader could be the one though.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Interesting.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either match-up would be interesting too. I'd wanna see Jones / Bader .. I've been wanting that fight for over a year.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bones v Bader would be great.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana says that a poor-performance (ala the Cote/Leites fights) won't be a performance that gets Silva fired, but on like the Maia fight will.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    Just saw that Alan Belcher may have to retire due to an eye injury.

"I have a detached retina, just lost the vision in my right eye all of a sudden. Just happened all of a sudden man, pretty much over night. I was in Brazil training, I messed around there for a few days and then afterward I had to come home and have a surgery the day after I came home.
    I think it happened in training but I don't know exactly when. It might of been from the pressure of the airplane that might have finished it off, but before that I probably had some tears [as in rips] in my retina and it was just from getting hit in the head probably.
    A few weeks before I noticed some flashing, kind of seeing stars when I closed my eyes. I didn't really know what that was so I should have got it checked out then but I didn't really think about it until I stated losing my vision. Oh well.

It's going to take a couple months to heal and be at its peak, then I'll know how good my vision comes back. I lost a lot of my peripheral vision and I got that back right away after the surgery, but everything is blurry and distorted pretty much the same as everything was before the surgery. I guess my sight should be getting better...[the doctor] says it's definitely not going to get back to the same but at best it's going to be something like 20/40, 20/60 vision. I'm going to be really near-sighted. I can't see anything far away and when it gets close I can almost see it.

There's going to be more surgeries even at the best case scenario. Worst case scenario is I don't get any better than this, I'm only working with one eye, I probably don't want to risk fighting again because if I lose that one I'm going to be blind."

That sucks.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wheres that from?

..and yeah, that sucks. He was really coming into form lately too.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrick Cote and Michael Bisping are engaging in a good ol' fashioned war of words:

Cote initiates:
    Quote:
    FO: There was some talk about a match-up between you and Michael Bisping. What are your thoughts on Bisping as a fighter and how that match-up would play out?

Cote: "I'm not a big fan of him and I’ve asked for this fight since 2 years ago. I think we can make an awesome fight."

FO: Why do you say you’re “not a fan” of Bisping?

Cote: "No reason. I just think he’s arrogant and over-rated. I just don’t like him!"

Bisping responds:
    Quote:
    "I think that's pretty two-faced of him to be honest. I have met him a few times and he has been nothing but nice to me - to my face anyway. I'm surprised but not going to lose any sleep over it. Maybe all that horse meat has gone to his head. If he wants to try and make himself relevant again by trying to talk himself into a fight with me he can do, his time is his own. Personally if I was him I would spend it in the gym learning how not to get dumped on my head."

Cote responds to Bisping:
    Quote:
    FO: Michael Bisping said he was "surprised" at your comments and called you "two-faced" because you two were apparently civil in person. What can you tell me about the "face to face" interactions you've had with Bisping?

Cote: "Listen, we never had a conversation or something like that. We just met somewhere a couple times and I wasn’t nice to him, I was polite because I'm educated. Just because I don’t spit in your face doesn’t mean that I like you.

And by the way, I only gave an answer to a question from a journalist, I didn’t attack him out of nowhere. This is life you know, you can’t love everybody. But if he wants to be this way, with cheap shots like the ‘horse meat’ and ’dumped on the head’, lets do it, he’ll finish second I swear!"

FO: Bisping mused "maybe all that horse meat has gone to his head". I thought Alistair Overeem was the only fighter associated with "horse meat". Do you eat horse meat, or can you explain where that reference is coming from?

Cote: "In the TUF season 4 I asked for horse meat and they said in the USA they don’t eat horse meat, it’s illegal. Fair enough, no problem. At least he remembers that from me in TUF. People already forgot that he was a coach [on the show] a couple years ago."

FO: What is your response to this Bisping statement? "If he wants to try and make himself relevant again by trying to talk himself into a fight with me he can do, his time is his own. Personally if I was him I would spend it in the gym learning how not to get dumped on my head."

Cote: "It's funny, how can you learn to not get dumped on your head, by practicing a pile-driver again and again? I can say he should go to the gym and learn how to move on the good side to avoid being knocked out cold."

FO: A fight between you two is an interesting match-up, as you're both well rounded fighters but known for your striking games. How do you think a fight in general would turn out between you two, and how do you think your striking game compares to his?

Cote: "I don’t see him giving me any problems on my feet and I don’t see him taking me down either. He has weak footwork and he doesn’t seem to hit hard at all."

FO: Do his comments make you hungry for a fight with him? Is he an opponent you would request after your fight with Tom Lawlor?

Cote: "Right now I think about my fight against Lawlor—that’s it. I have too much respect for Lawlor to think about someone else."

FO: Do you have a message you would like to send back to Bisping?

Cote: "No, I don’t have any specific thing to say. I wish him good luck for his fight against Akiyama."

Sources:
    Fighters Only Magazine - The World's Greatest MMA Magazine - News - Bisping responds to "two-faced" Cote
    Fighters Only Magazine - The World's Greatest MMA Magazine - Interviews - Patrick Cote on Anderson, Lawlor, Bisping and more
    Fighters Only Magazine - The World's Greatest MMA Magazine - News - "The Predator"Â Returns Fire at Bisping

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bisping is a dick wad but Cote is no match for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cote would put him out cold. Bisping is super overrated, very average fighter.

Seriously, Cote might not be well-rounded, but his hands are no joke. Bisping has nothing but striking, and he doesn't have knockout power at all. I mean shit, IMO, Cote should've won his last fight by DQ. He lost cuz he took a pedigree that reminded me of when HHH first started doing it all botched up and vicious like.
    Last edited by UncannyIowan; August 11th, 2010 at 1:39 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cote landed right on his face. It was legal.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cote would put him out cold. Bisping is super overrated, very average fighter.

Seriously, Cote might not be well-rounded, but his hands are no joke. Bisping has nothing but striking, and he doesn't have knockout power at all. I mean shit, IMO, Cote should've won his last fight by DQ. He lost cuz he took a pedigree that reminded me of when HHH first started doing it all botched up and vicious like.
    Its not Belcher's fault that Cote doesn't know how to take bumps.

RFF CHAMPION 12/13
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bisping has nothing but striking
    If you say so

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's not true. He has a very well-rounded trash-talking game too.

He's also not bad at wrestling for a guy thats not very good at it.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind seeing Bisping fight Cote. I think Bisping would probably go for takedowns and ground and pound though, which could make for a boring fight. I don't think he would stand with Patrick because he quite obviously has the power to knock anyone out at any time. Why take the chance?

I guess it would come down to whether one thinks that Bisping can take Cote down. I'm not a huge fan of The Count but I think he could probably take Cote down.

Bisping is too far up the ranking for Cote right now though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I won't ever pass an opportunity to knock Bisping because like I said he's a dickhead but you have to give credit where it's due and he's not just average. The only people to ever beat him are guys like Rashad, Wand, and Hendo (technically Hamill too).

As much of a cock as he is he's a good fighter.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see it the other way.

As much of a good fighter that he is .. he's a cock.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Touche.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Cote is underrated compared to Bisping. Bisping has been MARKETED as the face of British MMA, he won TUF 3, and he's been put up against guys who he wasn't probably ready to face yet (such as Hendo and Wanderlai). But then you look @ Cote, he's fought Tito, he's fought Anderson Silva for the belt, I think these 2 should definitely meet if they win their respective fights. Bisping beating Akiyama might push him up the ladder more, but Cote imo is a better fight than Sexyama.

I'll give him props, he handled guys he should've handled such as Kang, Miller, and Leben, but I don't think he can beat Cote. If he did, it'd be the same way he beat Leben, only I feel Cote's takedown defense is better....
    Last edited by UncannyIowan; August 11th, 2010 at 3:01 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweden
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m110W9gBemA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- ‪Clay's greatest burps‬‎[/ame]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question of the day:

Who is the next big signing the UFC will make?

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe THE NEXT BIG THING BROCK LES...oh, um, hopefully the next person they sign is a real life ninja.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Werdum. If you call that a big signing, which after the Fedor thing, I guess I would.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started downloading and watching every ufc PPV from the beginning .. download about 5 at a time. I found this guy on demonoid that has 1-115 uploaded and seperated into groups of 5. Epic. He's my new best friend and doesn't even know it. Sometimes, I wish I knew who these people were .. just so I could send them a thank you card or something. Lol.

╭∩╮⎝⋋⏝⋌⎠╭∩╮
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 is brilliant.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 & 4 were actually the first ones I ever saw. I used to have them on VHS back in the day

Here's the page that has all those torrents, btw..

http://www.demonoid.com/files/?categ...+&uid=0&sort=B
    Last edited by Dubya; August 12th, 2010 at 5:08 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. I might give them a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nasty things happened in the octagon back then. Fistfulls of hair and headbutts right in the face...Igor Vovchanchyn territory.

Sometimes I wonder if the original fans sit and look at MMA now and think "yeah but I'd still rather see a bare knuckle street fight than 5 rounds of wrestling"...

I think our time is the right time. I started watching when Pat Miletich lost to Carlos Newton. I had no idea who they were but for some reason Sky chose to expose me to grown men applying side-guillotines to each other and for me the image of Carlos Newtons' rippling bicep straining against the neck of a peak-fit Pat Miletich proved to me that fighting was more than throwing hard punches.

Ever since then I have been hooked. I might not know the most, or at least might not know how to articulate my opinions...but I do love this sport.

Thank you UFC for creating a worthy brand inside a constantly scrutinised art-form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^Bulldog choke. I'm glad that my cousin Joe was very into Judo and martial arts in general, he ordered the first 3 or 4 UFC's and I swear had I been more into it and wrestling not blown up to what it did in 96-97 I would have stayed watching. It's funny, I stopped watching because of wrestling, and I started watching again because of wrestling...as in the Ken Shamrock v. Tito Ortiz fight at UFC 42.

In sad news, Ben Saunders has been cut.....Lame. I really like his style, hope he comes back soon!

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball View Post
    Nasty things happened in the octagon back then. Fistfulls of hair and headbutts right in the face...Igor Vovchanchyn territory.

Sometimes I wonder if the original fans sit and look at MMA now and think "yeah but I'd still rather see a bare knuckle street fight than 5 rounds of wrestling"...

I think our time is the right time. I started watching when Pat Miletich lost to Carlos Newton. I had no idea who they were but for some reason Sky chose to expose me to grown men applying side-guillotines to each other and for me the image of Carlos Newtons' rippling bicep straining against the neck of a peak-fit Pat Miletich proved to me that fighting was more than throwing hard punches.

Ever since then I have been hooked. I might not know the most, or at least might not know how to articulate my opinions...but I do love this sport.

Thank you UFC for creating a worthy brand inside a constantly scrutinised art-form.

I don't know, though .. cuz back then, those "5 rounds of wrestling" could be a lot less bareable. When you got a great BJJ guy and a great wrestler in there .. it was just a hump-fest for however long it took cuz they didn't stand people up back then really either. ..

that said, I completely agree with you. Adding gloves was a smart thing because so many fighters broke their hands in the early days. There were a couple times were the tournament winner was a replacement fighter, which sucks.

If you read the wiki on UFC, it talks about how they slowly adding in all the rules and lists every banned move. Its a long list and it makes you think about they're all probably banned cuz someone did them. lol. some are kinda vicious.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keith Jardine entering the octagon should be a banned move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/8/13...ls-on-facebook

Ben Saunders reveals on Facebook that he has been released by the UFC following his decision loss to Dennis Hallman at UFC 117:

"Sorry everyone I tried to fight my best these past two fights but ended up getting out worked. The UFC has officially cut me. The good news is they told me to work on my wrestling and ground game and then come back. So that is all I am going to be doing, improving dramatically and show them I belong."
    Dammit

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Killa Bee. I hope he improves and comes back stronger down the line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The post he made about it is actually 100x longer than that, it was actually kind of gay cuz he kept talking about "the haters", which I always believe if you acknowledge haters they win.....Saunders KO'd Marcus Davis, guys who have fought GSP for the belt couldn't even finish him....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... losing to a guy that had previously only lost at middleweight and was a title contender and then going the distance with the perennial #1 contender at welterweight and a guy who submitted Matt Hughes twice in a combined 38 seconds... not such a terrible thing.

But yes, he does need to work on his ground game.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saunders has lost 3 of his last 4 .. never really thought he was that good. He had good knees .. and really nothing else. Everytime he got in the cage with a contendor .. he lost. He asked for the Fitch fight and the Swick fight .. and got RINSED both times. Just because you've got the balls to ask for the fight doesn't mean you have a chance of winning. I understand he was just trying to move up the ladder, but in reality .. he was signing his walking papers with those 2 fights. He had no shot of winning either.
    Last edited by Dubya; August 13th, 2010 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IDK, the Swick fight could have gone either way. Swick is the better fighter, but he's shown that against bigger guys he has trouble pulling the trigger and finding his rhythm. Saunders might've seen Swick as someone who hadn't really beaten any top guys in either division, but was a big enough name to where if he beat him it would skyrocket his status over night.

Here's the thing, I'd bet the UFC has tons of respect for Saunders asking for tough fights like that. It's not like Saunders is in any position to force the hand of Joe Silva and Dana White, so obviously the UFC felt he was a good fight for Swick and Fitch. People are on the fence about Dennis Hallman, yeah he beat Hughes many moons ago and hasn't really beaten anyone worth a damn since (aside from the most recent against Saunders)....but I think Hallman is underrated and can give people trouble, good ground or not.

I think we'll see the Killa B back in the UFC within a year, he'll need to face guys who will test his ground though cuz if he's just fighting guys who are shit the UFC will be like "dude how will we know if your ground is any good?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget that Hallman was clearly beating John Howard until the last second KO ended his night. But other than that, Hallman has come up short in his major fights over the last several years.

Special Attraction
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would bet my house that the GSP/Koscheck fight gets moved to January and Toronto.

MMA has just been sanctioned in Ontario starting in 2011.

http://tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=330495

Personally, I would say the Rogers Centre for GSP. I'm positive they could get 50,000 +... and I'll be one of them for sure.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    rumours in scotland that ufc is to stage an event in the braehead arena in 2011.

thats exciting for us lot.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your name is offensive and your avatar makes me giggle.

Welcome.
    Last edited by Dubya; August 14th, 2010 at 5:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post
    rumours in scotland that ufc is to stage an event in the braehead arena in 2011.

thats exciting for us lot.
    If that's true I'm going.

I have to see UFC live someday and I can't imagine a better time than if they actually bring their spectacular show to our violence-loving country.

I could see this being a sell-out easy if it was worked out.
    I'm going to have to keep my ear close to the ground for this I think, don't the UFC events sell out instantly?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time the UFC put a former champion from another promotion against Martin Kampmann right out the gate MK won. But, Jake Shields lives up to the hype and a couple years ago I didn't really believe but the level of talent he's beat over the years has given him extreme credibility.

The whole ppv looks awesome. Schaub v. Gonzaga? Night Night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chael Sonnen came moments away from handing UFC middleweight champion and pound-for-pound great Anderson Silva his first UFC loss this August 7th at UFC 117. The Oregonian thoroughly dominated Silva for the majority of five rounds but grew complacent with his unprecedented lead over "The Spider" and left the window open for the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt to sink in a fight-ending triangle choke submission.

The stoppage has been considered by some to be controversial, though Sonnen himself has not openly challenged the ref's call, as it was slightly difficult to see whether or not Sonnen tapped. There was confusion in the ring as well as it appeared on screen as though Sonnen did protest the stoppage at first, but Sonnen recently revealed during an appearance on Fighting Words with Mike Straka that the stoppage was warranted and that he had actually begun to lose consciousness when referee Josh Rosenthal halted the bout.

"I never once disputed the tap, but I also didn't know it happened," admitted Sonnen. "Whether I tapped or I didn't tap -- and that's by no way me saying I didn't tap, I haven't seen the video -- it was the right stoppage. Josh [Rosenthal] woke me up to let me know the fight was over. Josh was saying my name the same way my mother used to wake me up for school in the morning. 'Chael...Chael...'She'd say it over and over and it would kind of get in my dream and I'd snap out of it. That's what it was like with Josh. He repeated my name three or four times and I remember when I came to, [I asked] 'Am I the champion?' I didn't know how it ended. Josh Rosenthal is awesome. The UFC has awesome refs, and with that being said, he's at the top of the list. Above all, his job is to keep us safe and he's always kept me safe."

Sonnen earned much in losing his UFC 117 bout with Silva and, in addition to proving that he has the gritty style and mentality to more-than-hang with "The Spider," Sonnen has also endeared himself to MMA fans with his post-fight honesty and humility. Whether or not Sonnen will receive an immediate rematch against Silva remains to be seen but it is safe to assume that the fans will follow Sonnen into his next bout.
    I'm shocked that he comes off as being this classy in defeat. He comes off even classier here:

Perpetual hype-machine Chael Sonnen delivered on just about every word he uttered during the several-month long trash talk crusade that he waged against UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva when they met in the cage on August 7th. Sonnen thrashed Silva for four and a half rounds before getting submitted with a triangle choke late in the fifth. In addition to apparently getting under Silva's skin enough to cause the normally-unflappable champion to falter for the majority of five rounds, Sonnen's trash talking tirade also drew attention and viewers to their middleweight title fight; but he said on a recent episode of Fighting Words with Mike Straka that he isn't looking for any compensation for the added sales.

"I'm not a partner to the UFC," Sonnen said. "I'm not in on the pay-per-view sales. I get a flat fee. So I'm just not in the job of selling fights."

Sonnen told Straka that he isn't upset at not drawing any income from the pay-per-view sales. On the contrary, he believes it his duty to bring in more viewers to the UFC.

"Not only did I not get a piece, I'm not entitled to a piece," said Sonnen. "Dana White owes me nothing. I'm in debt to Dana White. I want to make the UFC money. The UFC does not owe me a thing. Nothing. I am in debt to them."

The West Linn, Oregon native recently said on an episode of ESPN MMA Live that he believes he will be Silva's next opponent but that Silva may not be his, expressing a desire to fight again as soon as possible. There is no official word as of yet, or really any reliable speculation, concerning who Sonnen will face next or when he will next appear but you can be sure that he will continue to bring in viewers, fans and sales for the UFC whenever he makes his return.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope Bisping beats Akiyama and thinks he's hot shit and starts talking at Chael again and gets himself in a fight he can't win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dubya View Post
    I hope Bisping beats Akiyama and thinks he's hot shit and starts talking at Chael again and gets himself in a fight he can't win.
    Shit Bisping against most of the top guys at 185 is a can't win. He just talks shit cuz it distracts you from his mediocre skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bisping isn't mediocre. He is simply not elite like he wants people to think. This is a guy who a lot of people think beat Rashad Evans back at 205. He finished Denis Kang, which is no easy feat. He went 3 rounds trying to outpoint Wanderlei on the feet and nearly pulled it off. He stayed standing with Leben for 15 minutes and didn't go to sleep. He looked good fighting Henderson until the horrendous KO of doom.

I'm certainly not someone that plays a trumpet for Michael Bisping when people start talking about him, but I think he is a good gatekeeper. No more, no less.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree with ya there. He may never be a champion, but he'll probably always hover in and out of the top 10. He's better than he gets credit for, but he gives himself way too much credit at the same time.

I give my password away
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bisping is loved by the UFC because he brings in viewers from overseas. Ive been here for a bit and may not have chatted much, but it seems most are not from the US. People in the US want to see the "Brit" beat/ko'd/sub'd/etc whatever. Any fight he is in, is watched either way. 2 fights I want to see are Leban/Wandy and Sonnen/Bisping. 2 fights that will be awesome either way. One a slugfest and the other a war of words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. Both of those would be very entertaining for very different reasons. Leben/Wanderlei is a slugfest fan's dream match and Bisping/Sonnen would (verbally) be a back and forth version of what happened at 117.

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't hate Bisping because he's a brit. I hate Bisping cuz he thinks he's better than he is. It has nothing to do with where he's from at all. I hate Frank Mir for the same reason.

I would love both of those fights.

I give my password away
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Leben fought Bisping now. i think it would be a totally different fight also. Ive watch Leben/Sexyama 20 times. If Akiyama hit Bisping with any of those shots. He would have been finished. As Rogan said "Leben is a zombie". Ive loved Leben since day 1 of TUF. He talks and does act like a ass, but he has fought top competition and lost/won a few. He became one of my top 2 favorite fighters after taking 2 WEEKS notice and fight Akiyama. That was just amazing to me. Plus he f'n won. Dana White owes him the W. Silva fight. It would be epic and i'd pay just to see those 2 throw bombs for 3 rounds.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ya, Leben's one of my favorites. I remember hating him during and shortly after TUF but he definitely won me over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagosOnlyPunk View Post
    Bisping is loved by the UFC because he brings in viewers from overseas. Ive been here for a bit and may not have chatted much, but it seems most are not from the US. People in the US want to see the "Brit" beat/ko'd/sub'd/etc whatever. Any fight he is in, is watched either way. 2 fights I want to see are Leban/Wandy and Sonnen/Bisping. 2 fights that will be awesome either way. One a slugfest and the other a war of words.
    definitely has zero to do with where the guy's from. Has everything to do with how he carries himself and his skill level.

I dig the Leben/Wanderlai fight but not really Sonnen/Bisping. I think it'd be boring and a war of words is fine for the drama kids but it doesn't always transition into an exciting fight. Daley and Kos had a great war of words, and the fight was boring as fuck.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GSP appears on Criss Angel's Mindfreak TV show and loses in an arcade boxing game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cag...urn=mma-262732

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Source: Wikipedia (take it with a grain of salt)

Jon Jones vs Forrest Griffin at UFC 123

fb.com/therealmmatalk1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm .. when I looked just now, it only mentions Machida/Rampage and Rory Macdonald vs. Matt Brown.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Assuming it's true, poor Forrest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it's gone now. Not surprised. That would have been a huge fight to go unnoticed by the normal sources.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana White was on Jim Rome is Burning today on ESPN. They showed a video of Dana doing some behind the scenes stuff and his reaction during/after the Sonnen/Silva fight at UFC 117.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Near as I can tell, the best way to give a UFC fighter a heart attack is to say this to him: "Judge Cecil Peoples scores this bout..."

Seriously, how does this fuck have a job. What they should do is get ex-fighters to score it. Like, guys who've actually done it and know what the hell they're doing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Don't even get me started on incompetent judges. Nothing is more irritating than when the clear loser has his hand raised and it happens too often (Hamill/Bisping, Belcher/Akiyama, and Davis/Hardy are a few examples that come to mind).

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemephosis View Post
    What they should do is get ex-fighters to score it. Like, guys who've actually done it and know what the hell they're doing.
    That sounds like a good idea, but people would argue they wouldn't be neutral. Because that guy fought against this guy or trained with this guy.

Isn't that why the UFC stopped using John McCarthy? Because he was getting too close to some of the fighters?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    Don't even get me started on incompetent judges. Nothing is more irritating than when the clear loser has his hand raised and it happens too often (Hamill/Bisping, Belcher/Akiyama, and Davis/Hardy are a few examples that come to mind).
    Yeah they come to mind if you're a blind patriot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Fanny. I will actually agree with 2 of those. I think Hamill and Belcher each won their respective fights, but I gave Hardy the nod against Davis.

The ones that immediately come to mind for me are Shogun/Machida I, Griffin/Ortiz I and Couture/Vera.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would be a good thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chael Sonnen just responded to an email I wrote him. He doesn't seem to want to comment much on anything. I mentioned that I enjoyed his domination of Anderson and that Michael Bisping is in for a beating. He responded with:

Quote Originally Posted by Chael Sonnen
    Hi Andrew, thanks for the message, I appreciate you taking the time to write it.
    Chael

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Yeah they come to mind if you're a blind patriot.
    Don't be stupid. I watched all three recently and objectively.

You'd have to be a blind patriot to believe Bisping won that fight. Belcher/Akiyama was fucking ridiculous because Belcher so clearly won that fight, but I think the judges were caught up in the "here is the savior from Japan" aura and completely screwed Alan over. That one should have been a UD victory for him.

Davis/Hardy was a little closer than the other two but I still believe Davis won that fight as well. Has absolutely nothing to do with nationalities ffs.
    Last edited by Mark Hammer; August 20th, 2010 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PMBR View Post
    Chael Sonnen just responded to an email I wrote him. He doesn't seem to want to comment much on anything. I mentioned that I enjoyed his domination of Anderson and that Michael Bisping is in for a beating. He responded with:
    Thats a reasonable response. He's probably got better things to do.