Results 11,401 to 11,500 of 13672

Thread: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    It was last decent around 2013 I'd say. Jones, Machida, Rashad, Bader, Glover, Gustafsson, Shogun, Henderson, Davis and Lil Nog I think was the top 10, with none of them completely shot at that point. Then there was the asumption that Cormier and Rumble would end up in the division. Anderson was on his run and might have gone up if he beat Weidman. Rampage was hanging on. Mousasi and Cavalcante coming from PRIDE. Thiago Silva, Wanderlei Silva, Chael Sonnen. Yep, it was great then. 2013 comes, Shogun gets embarrassed by Chael, Hendo loses a few on the bounce, Machida and Mousasi go to MW, Rashad gets injured and gets his last win that year, Rampage leaves. Wasn't the same after that.
    At least Jones was able to solidify his legacy as the best at 205, if not the best of all time. He was able to beat names that were still in good shape that people weren't making excuses for. Shit, the best Rampage I think I ever saw was the one that fought Jones.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Khabib/Poirier signed and official now for 242 in September.

Really like this fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Khabib/Poirier signed and official now for 242 in September.

Really like this fight.
    With Ferguson back, I really hope we get 155 back on track. It has been a long 2-3 years it seems for that division with Conor, Khabib, and Tony's inactivity.

I'll be honest, Poirier is going to be a solid underdog for sure but I think he can pull it off.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Will be fun to see if Khabib can pull his T-800 act against Dustin's long and heavy jab game.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Dustin, but I've not seen a style yet that looks like it could give Khabib trouble. Saying that, Dustin's wrestling is unproven lately considering his fights have mainly been standing. If he he has somehow improved in that area, he's a very live dog in this fight.

Hoping for a quick turnaround for the winner to fight the Ferguson/Cowboy winner on the New Year's show. That's the ticket.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    To be fair I shouldn't have included the word 'if'.

I like Dustin standing to be an initial puzzle for Khabib. Except Khabib hasn't shown thus far to solve puzzles so much as mow straight through them.

And I'm clinging to Dustin's long striking/timing offense to make this a fight, as otherwise I can't imagine once it gets in grappling distance anything other than a crime.
    Last edited by Percussion; June 5th, 2019 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Dustin's odds of catching Khabib in a shocking win. Whether that's a submission out of nowhere, a punch or headkick out of nowhere. Or Khabib has an off day and DP beats the fuck out of him for 5 rounds.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moraes or Cejudo on Saturday night then? I can't look past Marlon's power, he's looked a technical killer in his last few fights, and avenged his one (close) loss in his last 18 or something, against a guy who himself had only lost to Dillashaw at the weight. Stopped him in a round, dropped, bloodied and submitted. Henry might have the best back to back wins in the sport's history and might be the best wrestler in the game, it's a proper fucking fight. Shame it came about by TJ being a cheat. If Henry can drain the explosive power early it's his fight to lose, but it's some firepower to not get clipped by. I fancy Marlon catching him with a knee coming in after stinging him early.

Shevchenko beats Eye on points. Nap of the year. Jessica is tough but she's outgunned.

Cowboy vs. Ferguson is the best fight of the year on paper. Holy shit. The 2 all time killers at lightweight. Both have the killshot in every facet of the game. Both vulnerable due to their offensive tendencies. Going to be bonkers. I'm big on Tony too. Just an indestructible fucker. He might have to come off the floor to do it, but how do you keep the cunt down? I see him banking work to the body before taking him out against the cage with elbows. If Cowboy wins though, wow. Would be his best win, in a career of great wins.

Yan vs. Rivera to me looks like a set up to possibly smuggle Yan as the co-main of that Abu Dhabi show with Khabib for the BW title. Rivera is good just doesn't have the firepower to worry the cream of the crop, and Yan is a little terminator. Think it goes the distance but might turn into a whooping late.

Tuivasa vs. Ivanov is a decent top 20 fat boy fight. I like Tai and think he's got decent upside with his toughness and athleticism, if he takes it seriously he should be too quick for Ivanov and should stop him.

Suarez to steamroll Ansaroff inside 2 rounds. The styles are all wrong for Nina. Suarez's top game and relentless pressure will be too much. She's a future champion for me, a real prospect.

Sterling vs. Munhoz is a great fight considering it has Pedro Munhoz in one corner. Never in a bad fight. Sterling is more talented but lacks any kind of killer instinct. I think he manages to let Munhoz into the fight late in the second and gets taken out accordingly. Stung, panic wrestle into a guillotine. Moraes and Munhoz would be a mad fight.

Karolina vs. Grasso should be high output at least. Both ladies have found their level I think. Karolina in a coin flip on points.

I like Calvin Kattar to piece up and stop Lamas. Little bit too sharp for a fading fighter in Lamas. Could be a scrap while it lasts though, the veteran is game as.

Decent scraps on Fight Pass too. Eddie Wineland against a debutant, Joanna Calderwood in a probable contenders fight too. Ace card.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am extremely excited for pretty every show going forward that they've announced fights for. Especially this weekend. Cowboy v. Ferguson is going to be tits. Cejudo I hope goes to sleep, can't stand the guy even if he has some very solid solid credentials. But man his personality since winning the title, a gifted decision imo, whatever lol. Come on Moraes!!!

I'm going to go for the sleeper and predict Eye with the win. I don't know why, Love Bullet, but I think Eye might be able to do it here fellas

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even a punchers chance I don't think. Eye has scraped through her flyweight career after an awful run at bantamweight. She's tough enough to go the distance, might nick a round at a push, but she's not winning this fight.

Seen Cejudo being a weird cunt again leading up, wearing a magic cape and what not. Cringey fucker.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even a punchers chance I don't think. Eye has scraped through her flyweight career after an awful run at bantamweight. She's tough enough to go the distance, might nick a round at a push, but she's not winning this fight.

Seen Cejudo being a weird cunt again leading up, wearing a magic cape and what not. Cringey fucker.
    Not even a puncher's chance??

Cejudo is borderling Colby Covington weird. And I want to like the guy, his credentials are solid but I don't know who's become more cringe....Henry or Kelvin. I know they're dating but come on now, let's not take it too far.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Still no one has dethroned Tony Ferg for the all time Cringe King. That fuckin guy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conor changed the game. Loads of weirdos cutting promos, wearing stupid clobber and props. Makes me miss the Frank Mir's of the world, who always felt legitimate even amongst his most ridiculous boasts.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still no one has dethroned Tony Ferg for the all time Cringe King. That fuckin guy.
    I still give it to Colby Covington because I think Tony is just loco. You see him on TUF? He's always seemed a little off his rocker to me. lol

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conor changed the game. Loads of weirdos cutting promos, wearing stupid clobber and props. Makes me miss the Frank Mir's of the world, who always felt legitimate even amongst his most ridiculous boasts.
    LMFAO. Frank Mir used to say shit and I'd just stare at my tv like what the fuck? He was a great commentator, hella biased, but WEC was the shit when he was there at the booth.

Chael doesn't get the respect he deserves in his role in all of this fighter trash talk.

He still brings gold, like the time he clowned Tito at the Bellator press conference lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm working on the intricacies of details of maneuvers that he still doesn't even know the names of." Best Frank quote. Lunatic.

Chael was great. Again, authentic. Colby Covington, not so much.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aljo looked great in that fight. He's really turned a corner with his fluidity, can see him giving the champion, whoever it is, a fight. That Moraes vs. Sterling fight was a bit of a fluke really, caught him with the knee going for a head kick. Been an excellent card so far, Grasso and Kattar breaking into the top 10 with big performances. Kattar's boxing would match up well with Max's style.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shevchenko, jesus christ. Thought she had a murder on the record for a minute there. That division is awful and if Valentina turns up like that every time, women are going to get hurt. Just imagine if they can match PVZ into a title shot. Death.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a great card all in all, from the early prelims up.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was. Competitive matchups Shevchenko aside, and that was a KO of the year contender. It's a crazy sport. 2 years ago Henry Cejudo was coming off 2 losses and Mighty Mouse and TJ were top 2 GOAT's in their weight classes. Fast forward 2 years and those 2 may have fought their last UFC fights while Henry Cejudo is a double champion.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Can't say enough about Cejudo's fighters resolve after the 1st and into the 2nd/3rd rounds. His corner deserves credit too with the pinpoint perfect advice to stay within Moraes' range and pressure him forward with punches that will wear Marlon out or allow for a clinch and brawl fight, and he followed through with it for a masterful result. I'm sure the weight cut did Marlon no favors either as the fight wore on and Henry's pressure never stopped. Still, Cejudo is the well earned Triple C and arguably p4p number 1 on the planet. Kudos.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Felt sorry for Tony Ferguson last night. Great performance, heat of the moment error with the foul but the fight would have been stopped for the swelling anyway. Didn't deserve to get booed. Doesn't warrant a rematch, he's the better fighter. Really want him and Gaethje though for the sheer violence of it all. 5 rounds, week before or after Khabib/Diamond.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question here is does Tony wait it out or does he take another fight to stay active? He was out for 8 months already. I imagine if he waits for the winner of Khabib-Poirier you're looking at probably January or February.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was. Competitive matchups Shevchenko aside, and that was a KO of the year contender. It's a crazy sport. 2 years ago Henry Cejudo was coming off 2 losses and Mighty Mouse and TJ were top 2 GOAT's in their weight classes. Fast forward 2 years and those 2 may have fought their last UFC fights while Henry Cejudo is a double champion.
    I want DJ to come back and beat the brakes off Cejudo. I still think DJ won their 2nd fight and I personally have zero desire to see Cejudo defend against anyone but him. I'm sure they'll try to work something like Cejudo v. Brittle Cruz or returning Faber but it doesn't appeal to me like seeing DJ come back and smack him around.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris Weidman announcing plans to move up to 205. Who remembers the time him and Jones almost fought when they were champs? They wanted it in New York but I believe it was before they started holding events there.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weidman's lack of activity is almost legendary. 4 fights since he lost his title in December 2015. Cowboy just had his 4th fight since November. 14 fights in his entire UFC career. Cowboy has had that many fights since that title loss. Debuted 2 events after Cerrone, EIGHTEEN less fights. Now Cowboy is a freak, granted, but that's absurd to compare.

Another mad stat - since that title fight with Rockhold, Michael Bisping has won more fights than the pair of them combined. GSP is tied with them and he's turned up to work once in 5 and a half years!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weidman's lack of activity is almost legendary. 4 fights since he lost his title in December 2015. Cowboy just had his 4th fight since November. 14 fights in his entire UFC career. Cowboy has had that many fights since that title loss. Debuted 2 events after Cerrone, EIGHTEEN less fights. Now Cowboy is a freak, granted, but that's absurd to compare.

Another mad stat - since that title fight with Rockhold, Michael Bisping has won more fights than the pair of them combined. GSP is tied with them and he's turned up to work once in 5 and a half years!
    lol. Cowboy is a freak and that's why when you compare his activity with others it's very mind blowing. Until Cerrone has a to eat from a straw when he's 40

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    WWE allegedly offered Chael Sonnen $1 million to no-show Anderson Silva rematch

Allegedly, Sonnen received a call from an unnamed World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) rep. Said representative supposedly offered Sonnen handsome pay to, “stick it up Dana White’s ass” by either no-showing his UFC 148 title rematch with Silva or winning the title and bringing it on WWE Raw the following Monday.

How much was Sonnen offered to forsake his shot at gold, piss off his boss, and anger the general mixed martial arts (MMA) world as a whole? Sonnen claims the price offered was seven figures, $1 million to no-show the Silva bout or $5 million to win and bring the belt on Raw.
    Like the article says it's Chael, so big grain of salt and all that ... but if it were true, lol, pretty funny shit really.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    no way the belt thing is real. when WCW did that with madusa and the women's title they got hammered in court.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WWE allegedly offered Chael Sonnen $1 million to no-show Anderson Silva rematch

Like the article says it's Chael, so big grain of salt and all that ... but if it were true, lol, pretty funny shit really.
    Reminds me of the legit story where WWE offered Mike Goldberg a hefty sum to no-show I THINK the UFC's debut on Spike (not TUF but an actual event) and join the Raw broadcast team.

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    no way the belt thing is real. when WCW did that with madusa and the women's title they got hammered in court.
    The only reason that happened is because WCW and WWF were in direct competition. Wouldn't this be more like if someone showed up on Raw the night after winning the Super Bowl wearing their SB ring?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Looks like Whittaker vs Adesanya is all but officially set now for 243 in Sydney in Oct.

Stellar title fight here.

I'm leaning Stylebender but ever so slightly.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Whittaker vs Adesanya is all but officially set now for 243 in Sydney in Oct.

Stellar title fight here.

I'm leaning Stylebender but ever so slightly.
    We just have to hope Whittaker makes it to the dance. Poor guy. I want to see this fight. I think Stylebender proved that a lot in his last fight and Whittaker needs to try and become relevant after having gold around his waist for what seems like forever.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I am completely unfamiliar with Andrade's opponent Weili Zhang. Looking up her record, holy fucking shit. She's beat the fuck out of quite a few women. 19-1. 16 of those 19 wins she finished her opponent. Good win against super underrated Jessica Aguilar. UD over Tecia Torres, that's pretty huge as well. Kind of excited for this fight mainly because of the fact I've never seen her fight and here she is getting a title shot.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're impatient for that China market! I love the shows there in fairness, everybody comes to fight. Can't really argue with Zhang deserving a shot while the divisions in traction - Suarez is injured I think and Rose is taking time to recover from the KO. Do this fight, draw a house in China, then you've got the 2 former champs who'd deserve rematches should Andrade win, Karate Hottie and Suarez. Gonna be some fun title fights the next year or so

Not much on the bones of this card tomorrow. Main event is a fun fight, Zombie is always must see TV, don't remember the rest of the card. I knoe Jon Lineker is out which is a killer.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not sure that having the Chinese girl get battered in China is really going to do much to their market. She seemed pretty sluggish after a good start against TT to me. She did have a pretty cool style though.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Korean Zombie with a Ko in a minute. Daaaaamn

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has there ever been a better value action fighter? 5-4 in ZUFFA - 2 fights of the year (1 win, 1 robbery loss), 7 second KO, twister submission, 2 more first round TKO's, head kick knockout loss, knockout of the year loss by spinning arch elbow or whatever that shit was, and the title fight loss to Aldo. Mad man.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the guy had serious buzz just based on a t-shirt with his fucking name on it. It is a cool nickname, easily in the top 5 for me if not best of all time.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is also entirely apt for him.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who the fuck is ready for Ngannou v. JDS this weekend??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, looking forward to it. This card is weird actually. If Cormier beats Stipe, he's saying that'll likely be that for his career. Cejudo seems like he's done with 125. If this card is transplanted in October it's likely the top 2 matches are for vacant titles! Alas, non-title, great fights await.

Expecting Ngannou to take out JDS. Junior just can't get his back off that fucking cage. He'd have probably been unbeatable in PRIDE. In the Octagon, he gets his back to that thing, an athletic 240lb man throws punches at his head and he either falls down or gets his face rearranged. That's trouble against the division's hardest hitter. There's a chance he can outjab Ngannou for 5 rounds and fight a low output tactical fight on his bike, but 25 minutes is a long time not to get cornered, and if that happens he gets flattened. Ngannou KO1.

Formiga beats Benavidez. Joe is just a little bit too faded to beat elite fighters now I think.

Fancy Demian Maia to force Tony Martin into a grappling exchange and get the sub. Martin is confident enough to go there, but not good enough to win there. Can take him on the feet all day, but he'll get cocky. Maia SUB2.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fancy Demian Maia to force Tony Martin into a grappling exchange and get the sub. Martin is confident enough to go there, but not good enough to win there. Can take him on the feet all day, but he'll get cocky. Maia SUB2.
    Maia easily the greatest submission fighter in MMA history?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say Charles Olivera for pure submissions. Overall MMA grappling, being able to control position, scramble to top position etc. it's a toss up between Maia and Jake Shields for me. Pure specialist grapplers. Jacare has more credentials but less application of his skills in MMA because he's a beast on the feet.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say Charles Olivera for pure submissions. Overall MMA grappling, being able to control position, scramble to top position etc. it's a toss up between Maia and Jake Shields for me. Pure specialist grapplers. Jacare has more credentials but less application of his skills in MMA because he's a beast on the feet.
    I can't disagree with Olivera. Maia probably gets it for me because he's had the bigger wins in terms of who's he's submitted, but Charles, what a fucking beast.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone other than me rooting for Holly Holm against Nunes?

And Nunes is now saying she does want to in fact fight Cyborg again. She seemed a little on the fence about it after the fact but after realizing how much work the 145 division needs now her tune has changed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going for Nunes. Rousey fight aside Holm is a bore to watch.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going for Nunes. Rousey fight aside Holm is a bore to watch.
    For real? I thought her fights against Cyborg, Tate, GDR, and Bethe were very good. Now if we're talking about her fights with Pennington, yeah that was pretty weak lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have watched different fights. The Cyborg fight was interesting as a chess match I guess, the rest weren't.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must have watched different fights. The Cyborg fight was interesting as a chess match I guess, the rest weren't.
    Naw I don't think Holm ever rematched any of these people.

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    had the weirdest dream that I was watching Pettis vs. Nate Diaz, and Nate Diaz was about half of his size

no idea why. wasnt even watching anything MMA related recently

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Great 1 minute of tension seeing which hoss was gonna commit to land big first..

..aannd then Dos Santos throws up a prayer that was answered with a pretty sad, amateur-looking ko.

Hope DC hangs on for one more after Stipe to cap off his career figuring out Big Scary Frank ... assuming he gets past Miocic, of course.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It look liked Francis just barely got him but it sounded like a full on powerbomb fist blast. Dude is SCARY. No doubt next in line for a title shot.

And how about Maia? He's saying he wants one more fight, in Brazil, against Diego Sanchez.....Kind of random but I guess Diego's been wanting the fight.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Amanda Nunes, the reason she's fighting Holly Holm is because Cyborg turned down a rematch for the BW championship. I haven't seen anything from Cyborg's side but one has to wonder why that is. Maybe she didn't want that smoke again lol. Seems odd but I get it.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that BJ Penn finally got back in the win column

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamstar View Post
    I saw that BJ Penn finally got back in the win column
    lol

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So GDR "KO's" Aspen Ladd in a questionable 16 second stoppage. One has to think she's next in line to face Amanda Nunes. I wouldn't be negative to it being at 145 as the story is there, it's just not a great story i.e. GDR vacated the belt because she was scared as fuck to fight Cyborg Santos.

Faber returned and knocked out a young lion in less than a minute. Then he called out Cejudo in a motherfuck heavy tirade lol.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren Till is contemplating a move to Middleweight via his IG page. I think it'd be a smart move for the guy. He's had some serious trouble making 170lbs He is a pretty big dude for that division and I think he'd be fine at MW as well. A lot of the top guys @ MW have or will have moved up to LHW as it is. Chris Weidman for example, going to LHW. Rockhold just got smoked at LHW. The last 2 challengers of Jones' title were also MW fighters not too long ago.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I am still trying to understand how the stoppage was questionable.

Granted, she wasn't knocked out, but she was definitely not even close to defending herself while she was on the ground.

Unless I missed something

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    I am still trying to understand how the stoppage was questionable.

Granted, she wasn't knocked out, but she was definitely not even close to defending herself while she was on the ground.

Unless I missed something
    Apparently Herb asked if she was ok, she gave the thumbs up, and Herb stopped it.

I also think a lot of the criticism stems from his stoppage of Lawler in the Askren fight. Which imo was 100x more understandable than this past weekend.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So apparently there is a UFC event Saturday lol.

RDA v. Leon Edwards headlines UFC on ESPN 4. We also get to see Rothwell v. Arlovski 2 which I believe the first happened about 10 years ago in Affliction. And this fight is on the prelims FYI. Yet Greg fucking Hardy is on the main card. Shoot me.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Apparently Herb asked if she was ok, she gave the thumbs up, and Herb stopped it.

I also think a lot of the criticism stems from his stoppage of Lawler in the Askren fight. Which imo was 100x more understandable than this past weekend.
    I don't know. I thought that Robbie was out when Herb stopped it, but that seemed like one of those situations where Herb couldn't really see what was going on and could've taken another second or two to get another look. Whereas the Ladd thing was pretty straight forward, she was bent over on all fours unable to protect herself and GDR wasn't going to stop punching. Had GDR connected on the free shot she had it could've been dangerous, Ladd was totally unprotected.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana White is saying Joseph Benevidez could possibly be next in line to face Henry Cejudo for the FLW championship.

I've always been impressed with Benevidez. He's a guy who's been right at the cusp of winning gold and just can't make it happen. I believe he's already had 3 title shots in 2 weight classes but I could be wrong. If he dethrones Cejudo, what a feather in the cap after such a long, entertaining career. Kind of like Bisping without the cock mouth.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Cerrone/Gaethje booked for September in Vancouver.

Because fucking duh.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cerrone/Gaethje booked for September in Vancouver.

Because fucking duh.
    I just read this and wow, I knew it was going to happen eventually. I can't wait.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RDA vs. Edwards is a great fight tomorrow night. RDA might be the most underrated fighter in the sport still. He's so good. Attritional, 8 point striking, great offensive wrestling and a superb top game. Very competitive at welterweight (besides against Usman), World champion at lightweight. Henderson-Diaz-Pettis-Cerrone might be the best 4 fight run in lightweight history, knocked 2 out inside a round and didn't lose a round in the other 2. He's approaching his 20th win (had 18) inside the UFC too. Great fighter. Leon Edwards is really good but RDA is a huge step up and I do lean dos Anjos, particularly after his performance against Lee. It's a relevant fight too because the winner will be in line for the Masvidal fight, which might be the money fight outside of Conor, Diaz and the champions.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RDA vs. Edwards is a great fight tomorrow night. RDA might be the most underrated fighter in the sport still. He's so good. Attritional, 8 point striking, great offensive wrestling and a superb top game. Very competitive at welterweight (besides against Usman), World champion at lightweight. Henderson-Diaz-Pettis-Cerrone might be the best 4 fight run in lightweight history, knocked 2 out inside a round and didn't lose a round in the other 2. He's approaching his 20th win (had 18) inside the UFC too. Great fighter. Leon Edwards is really good but RDA is a huge step up and I do lean dos Anjos, particularly after his performance against Lee. It's a relevant fight too because the winner will be in line for the Masvidal fight, which might be the money fight outside of Conor, Diaz and the champions.
    I would love to see RDA v. Masvidal.

Speaking of Masvidal.....I was looking at his record just now. 4 out of his last 5 losses were split decision losses: Iaquinta, Benson, Larkin, Maia, and then Wonderboy (5th loss) was a UD loss. I wouldn't mind checking out some of those split losses again just to see how close they actually were.

He also hasn't been finished in 10 years. Tough motherfucker.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I fancy Leon with the upset here.

Length, precision counterpunching with movement, good enough chin, fresher fighter, and perhaps a bit of complacency for RDA while this feels like Edwards' moment.

RDA is terrific and so I could be completely off on this one, he should absolutely be the favorite in fact, just kinda has the feeling of all the things needed lining up for Rocky.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't realize the roll Edwards is on. I also didn't realize he has one of the fast KO's in UFC history with an 8 second KO over Seth Baczynski.

But man he's ranked #12 and RDA is ranked #4. Seems like an odd fight to make in terms of rankings. And honestly if Leon won, and he's ranked that low, I don't want to see him and Masvidal. I want Masvidal v. Usman. Makes no sense to do any other fight even if Colby Covington beats Robbie Lawler. Usman v. Masvidal if Usman is ready by Nov-December would be great. No need in risking Masvidal's rising star power this year on some whack street shit against a guy who isn't even top 10.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welterweight is unique in that there's quite a few fighters between 6 and 20 that are on great win streaks who haven't had their step up yet. Ponz, Luque, Rocky and Zaleski all rocking 5+ against good fighters all in all. Edwards has the best win out of the lot against Gunnar Nelson, and made waves with the scuffle against Masvidal. Throw that in with Bisping's retirement and Darren Till's descent, the push is clear for Edwards. UFC has just started putting certain events behind a paywall, and you can guarantee that Masvidal vs. Edwards will end up on one of those shows if he gets through RDA tomorrow. Probably in the Garden, or maybe Australia considering they always liked chucking Bisping on those shows.

Frankie Edgar finally fighting Max Holloway next week too. I think if it happened 2 years ago Edgar probably had a 33% chance of winning. That's slimmed down to about 10% given age, injuries and the accumulation of punishment he took in the Brian Ortega fight, as well as Max's improvements. We still don't completely know that Max can stop the chain wrestling of somebody like Frankie, but I'm fairly adamant in saying he has the gas tank to keep going until he finds success on the feet. I actually give Frankie zero chance of winning a five round wrestling clinic, and the small chance he has is represented by the possibility that a hard weight cut drains Max to the point of compromising his durability and getting stopped on the feet.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welterweight is unique in that there's quite a few fighters between 6 and 20 that are on great win streaks who haven't had their step up yet. Ponz, Luque, Rocky and Zaleski all rocking 5+ against good fighters all in all. Edwards has the best win out of the lot against Gunnar Nelson, and made waves with the scuffle against Masvidal. Throw that in with Bisping's retirement and Darren Till's descent, the push is clear for Edwards. UFC has just started putting certain events behind a paywall, and you can guarantee that Masvidal vs. Edwards will end up on one of those shows if he gets through RDA tomorrow. Probably in the Garden, or maybe Australia considering they always liked chucking Bisping on those shows.

Frankie Edgar finally fighting Max Holloway next week too. I think if it happened 2 years ago Edgar probably had a 33% chance of winning. That's slimmed down to about 10% given age, injuries and the accumulation of punishment he took in the Brian Ortega fight, as well as Max's improvements. We still don't completely know that Max can stop the chain wrestling of somebody like Frankie, but I'm fairly adamant in saying he has the gas tank to keep going until he finds success on the feet. I actually give Frankie zero chance of winning a five round wrestling clinic, and the small chance he has is represented by the possibility that a hard weight cut drains Max to the point of compromising his durability and getting stopped on the feet.
    I mean yeah if they hold it in enemy territory for Masvidal the Edwards fight makes sense for Edwards. Jorge literally starched Till and Askren though and I don't think there's ever been much interest to see an actual fight between them. All this post fight fast food smackdown has done is make Masvidal an even bigger name and Edwards simply the guy who got punked out. Bcuz he was already a nobody. He beat Cerrone...nobody cared. Nelson? Who?

Give Edwards the winner of Colby Lawler or Askrens comeback fight. THEN if Leon has enough steam they could fight for the belt.

Agree 200% about Holloway v Edgar. Kind of a 1 last hurrah for Edgar imo. And isn't he your favorite fighter of all time??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I love Frankie. That Tyson Griffin fight surviving the heelhook, surviving the Maynard fights, upsetting BJ Penn. Same reason I loved Big Nog, heart for days, insanely durable, never in a dull fight. If he does pull off the win against Holloway he'd be the best of the 2 division champions for me, the others haven't put the work in 2 divisions like he has.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I fancy Leon with the upset here.

Length, precision counterpunching with movement, good enough chin, fresher fighter, and perhaps a bit of complacency for RDA while this feels like Edwards' moment.

RDA is terrific and so I could be completely off on this one, he should absolutely be the favorite in fact, just kinda has the feeling of all the things needed lining up for Rocky.
    Utterly terrific performance from Leon.

And despite having the outcome correct I whiffed entirely on the method. Thought he'd win in reactionary fashion with counters and escapes, but rather than that he beat RDA to literally every kick, step, and punch. He was a half step or more in front of every single thing Rafael could consider. Just spot on in every way and I hope he gets the Masvidal matchup as that would be gripping in all aspects.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was following the play by play and for awhile it seemed like it was Decision city until the main card and we just saw 3 quick finishes boom boom boom.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edwards is really good. Might be the most complete British fighter of all time. Very strategic and technical, those elbows were the difference maker. He beat a very good version of RDA too. Him and Masvidal is the fight, no point dimming the Masvidal flame with a heatless build to a trouncing by Usman. Make the fight with the hype in Edwards and make a really strong contender. Of course, that changes if Lawler beats Colby.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edwards is really good. Might be the most complete British fighter of all time. Very strategic and technical, those elbows were the difference maker. He beat a very good version of RDA too. Him and Masvidal is the fight, no point dimming the Masvidal flame with a heatless build to a trouncing by Usman. Make the fight with the hype in Edwards and make a really strong contender. Of course, that changes if Lawler beats Colby.
    But why is it the fight? Because of the backstage skirmish?

And Masvidal has said that he is next in line but we all know how Dana promises go. Who knows....Maybe the idea was to put Edwards in a high profile fight against a top 5 guy-even though Edwards was ranked outside the top 10......And then they can argue that now he's a top 5 guy? I don't know. If I'm the UFC, I'm not really trying to make this fight because again, Edwards gained zero out of that shit with Masvidal. Nobody has been really calling to them take it to the cage, probably because that approach is more on some WWF shit. Only nobody cares.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, there would be spice in it. Edwards had just squeaked past Gunnar at the time and Masvidal had flatlined Till so the trajectory didn't match. With both now in the top 5, they can lean on it. Again, if Colby loses then Jorge gets the shot.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, there would be spice in it. Edwards had just squeaked past Gunnar at the time and Masvidal had flatlined Till so the trajectory didn't match. With both now in the top 5, they can lean on it. Again, if Colby loses then Jorge gets the shot.
    You think so? Eh, we'll have to "agree to disagree" on the Edwards/Masvidal situation in terms of "spice". I could see it but I'm still looking at Jorge as the next guy to fight Usman. I know there's obviously valid reasons for Colby getting it, but I don't know if a win over Robbie Lawler, who's on a 2 fight losing skid, should warrant that when you have the guy who starched Askren in 5 seconds and Till within 2 rounds sitting on the sidelines with a TON of momentum.

The Edwards fight seems like a step back.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that if Colby beats Lawler (which I hope that he doesn’t) that Masvidal vs Edwards is the fight to make. That way you have two genuine feuds in each match and it sets up a natural fight between the two winners. However, it’s possible that Usman is on the shelf for a while anyway, so if that’s the case then why not make the Masvidal vs Edwards fight anyway?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would argue to the death that right now, more people want to see Masvidal v. Usman than any other combination.

I know that the WWF drama tends to sell a little more but I would argue that the event will sell out regardless and ppv buys with ESPN in the mix is a factor that doesn't matter any more just like with the Network.

If Edwards beats Masvidal, which could obviously happen in the deep waters of WW.....Then what? Edwards is a nobody. He's the guy who got served by Masvidal. It's not LEON EDWARDS, it's just the guy who got a 3 piece and soda for his mouth lol. I think Colby Covington is an afterthought as well. Nobody was buying into his act, I mean the guy was on one of the lowest drawing ppvs of all time not that long ago, well before ESPN came in.

Give us Masvidal in the title fight. Usman will be back by the end of the year so there's really zero reason to have Masvidal in another fight especially when no other fight makes sense.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Main event last night was competitive at points but never really in doubt that Holloway was the better man. Both men were a little off, but Max's jab got him through it. Him and Volkanovski in the stadium on that Whitaker/Adesanya card sounds good enough, but Max should look at coming back a little later if he wants to be at his best I think.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Main event last night was competitive at points but never really in doubt that Holloway was the better man. Both men were a little off, but Max's jab got him through it. Him and Volkanovski in the stadium on that Whitaker/Adesanya card sounds good enough, but Max should look at coming back a little later if he wants to be at his best I think.
    What are the odds Cyborg re-signs with the UFC and faces Nunes at the end of the year?

I want to see the rematch before it becomes irrelevant like Aldo-McGregor 2. Which now that I think of it, I'm not sure I'd be negative toward that fight happening lol. But as a fan of both Cyborg and Nunes, I want to see a little more. 30-60 seconds of those 2 just isn't enough.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday night didn't exactly help in regard to selling that rematch. Cyborg fought well, and dominated, but not being able to put away an unknown fighter (which, admittedly, is more about the UFC's obsession with putting lower ranked fights in the stacked divisions in prominent spots over ranked fights in the shallow ones) wouldn't have helped in making the rematch seem like it would go any other way. I still think it's the fight to make at 135 or above considering the options. A champion like Cyborg deserves a shot at revenge too. For Cris personally though, if Bellator can match the UFC offer it's probably a no brainer to go there. She'd get more respect.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saturday night didn't exactly help in regard to selling that rematch. Cyborg fought well, and dominated, but not being able to put away an unknown fighter (which, admittedly, is more about the UFC's obsession with putting lower ranked fights in the stacked divisions in prominent spots over ranked fights in the shallow ones) wouldn't have helped in making the rematch seem like it would go any other way. I still think it's the fight to make at 135 or above considering the options. A champion like Cyborg deserves a shot at revenge too. For Cris personally though, if Bellator can match the UFC offer it's probably a no brainer to go there. She'd get more respect.
    I wouldn't mind Cyborg leaving and going back to work for Coker. Plus you have Julia Budd. Who, after looking at her record, has 2 losses, almost 10 years. A 14 second KO loss to Amanda Nunes and a 40 second submission loss to Ronda. She's avoided loss over the last 8 years.

That's a pretty good fucking story and a fight I would pay to see.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there's been 4 relevant championships for 145lb women in US MMA history and she's won the other 3. With Budd only previously losing to the 2 other top names in women's MMA, it's a good story to tell.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, there's been 4 relevant championships for 145lb women in US MMA history and she's won the other 3. With Budd only previously losing to the 2 other top names in women's MMA, it's a good story to tell.
    I know @OD50 was all about Bodog but did you ever watch Bodog? I really liked it. I loved the outdoor vibe, kind of reminded me of the JCVD movie "Lionheart". I can't even begin to list the fighters I first saw come through there like Eddie Alvarez, Chael Sonnen, etc.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some Eddie fights from Bodog. I enjoyed all of those quirky shows in the mid-2000's, Pro Elite, WFA etc.. Money marks who had no clue but paid some decent fighters good money in a time when UFC were running 20 odd shows a year and couldn't spread all the talent across enough shows so left the Lawler's of the world unsigned. Those were the days. In fact, similar has happened in regards to compensation, so we're now getting top talent spread across promotions again, but now the UFC is stretching their roster out over 50 shows and 13 fight cards. No wonder we don't have a clue who half the fighters are. This card on Saturday for example, outside of the main, co-main and (due to being in needlessly high profile spots) Mickey Gall, who the fuck are the rest of them? I watch plenty of MMA and I couldn't pick anybody else out of a line-up besides Lauren Murphy, and that's only because she looks like a bit of a crackhead.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen some Eddie fights from Bodog. I enjoyed all of those quirky shows in the mid-2000's, Pro Elite, WFA etc.. Money marks who had no clue but paid some decent fighters good money in a time when UFC were running 20 odd shows a year and couldn't spread all the talent across enough shows so left the Lawler's of the world unsigned. Those were the days. In fact, similar has happened in regards to compensation, so we're now getting top talent spread across promotions again, but now the UFC is stretching their roster out over 50 shows and 13 fight cards. No wonder we don't have a clue who half the fighters are. This card on Saturday for example, outside of the main, co-main and (due to being in needlessly high profile spots) Mickey Gall, who the fuck are the rest of them? I watch plenty of MMA and I couldn't pick anybody else out of a line-up besides Lauren Murphy, and that's only because she looks like a bit of a crackhead.
    Yeah when you of all people are struggling to know who someone is, then the UFC are definitely reaching bigger heights. I'm sure at one point some could tell you the majority of the boxers in the top organization. Not now lol.

And yeah man, I have no idea who half (sometimes more than half) the fighters are on any UFC card these days. It's tough. It's not even about star power it's just about too many people to really keep up with like we used to. Shit I'm still showing interest when I see someone like Joe Riggs on a fight card for a lesser known promotion lol. "Gideon Ray on the card? Show me the link!" lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably just tiredness more than anything for me, I can't do mediocre fight cards going on til 5 in the morning anymore. I used to stay up for stuff like Erick Silva vs. Matt Brown so I'd know everyone, but now I hardly watch fights where I know neither are going anywhere. Like that Jotko fight last Saturday. Fuck watching that.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably just tiredness more than anything for me, I can't do mediocre fight cards going on til 5 in the morning anymore. I used to stay up for stuff like Erick Silva vs. Matt Brown so I'd know everyone, but now I hardly watch fights where I know neither are going anywhere. Like that Jotko fight last Saturday. Fuck watching that.
    Ah man I sometimes forget we're on completely different time zones. I wouldn't be even a 3rd of the fan I am of pro wrestling or MMA if I had to stay up from 1am-5am just to watch a ppv. Ugh.

Silva v. Brown....such a good scrap.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I could do it when I was younger, it's a no go nowadays watching a full card. Have to time a nap around the low ranked fights. Unless it's a banger all the way through, a rarity pretty much exclusive to Vegas. Despite being the only place where people don't turn up for the prelims!

I'm looking forward to Miller and Guida though. How they've avoided each other this whole time we'll never know. Miller is one of my all time favourites. I'm happy him exclusively fighting either fellow veterans or guys with sub .500 UFC records from now on.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that Lawler batters Colby this weekend. I think that Lawler is pretty much my all time favourite. I don't think that he will though.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that would be great. He needs to get off that cage though. I can see Colby holding him against the thing for 25 minutes. Then cutting a promo as if he's smashed him to pieces. Colby's gimmick of an athletic reincarnation of a YouTube commenter is tedious.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was fantastic by Covington. One of the most relentless pressure based performances of all time. Ridiculous stats. The Hughes attack was class too, fuck Matt Hughes. He's still a cheesy fucking bellend but he's a terrific fighter.

Great to see Jim Miller getting the win. He's having a little Indian summer. One of the most likeable fighters on the roster. I just know they're going to put him against a faster, younger model next though who he'll be a step behind. Hernandez probably.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    love colby. no cool heel schtick from him, going for the real heat.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    love colby. no cool heel schtick from him, going for the real heat.
    What is 'cool heel schtick'?

And just to be clear I really like Colby, for his fighting style. His whole gimmick is pretty tired and lame, but the boy can absolutely bring it and he deserves his shot.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Credit where it’s due. He’s a legit contender and deserves a shot at the belt.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Reading that Ben Askren and Damian Maia have agreed to a fight in October.

Really, really hope their ground talents don't cancel each other out to the point of this being a terrible kickboxing match. If not it could be thoroughly worth a watch.
    Last edited by Percussion; August 4th, 2019 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't believe Guida got choked out so easily. Great fuckin job Jim Miller.

That racist prick Dana White will probably give Junie Brownings former cellmate the next title shot and hate on my man Jorge.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colby is the deserving #1 contender. Edwards is a winnable fight for Masvidal, the hype will be big, and his eventual title fight will have greater build considering Usman (or Colby) will be a bigger star coming out of an MSG title fight. Put both fights in MSG, face off the winners, count the money.